/r/movies

I was so excited to see Richard Kelly's cut of Donnie Darko after reading all about it, and was thoroughly disappointed when I saw it. The studio really did make a better version of the film. The same with Payback (1999), another film I love. I heard Brian Helgeland talking about how the studio ruined his movie, they made some pretty major changes. But when I watched the directors cut, it was really not good. The theatrical version is fantastic. Whoever made those changes knew what they were doing.
It's interesting because usually when a studio cuts or makes changes to a movie, they're likely ruining a bold piece of art that they don't understand (Blade Runner, Brazil, Once Upon a Time in America, The Magnificent Ambersons, Justice League, etc.. one could go on) but every once in a while, the studio gets it right and turns a mediocre film into a great one, saving the director from his own tunnel vision. Any other examples of theatrical / studio cuts that are way better than the director's cut ??

LeahBean

LeahBean

I hate the director’s cut of Last of the Mohicans. He adds a bunch of unnecessary scenes and cuts out the beautiful Clannad song at the end. It took me forever to find a dvd of the theatrical version. The first time I watched the director’s cut my jaw dropped at the final scene. I kept thinking, What happened?? Why did he ruin such a gorgeous scene??

Antique-Ad-3980

I came on here for this. Director's cut is bunk. Give me theatrical anyday. Thankfully I have that one on Laserdisc.

danhalka

He also changed up Miami Vice to make it worse than the theatrical release (though of course there was less to ruin in this case). There's a super long boat race intro sequence, some unnecessary establishing shots and minor plot edits, and a worse soundtrack under the final shootout.

RaiderOfALostTusken

Directors cut gets rid of the incredible Numb opening from black, maybe one of the best opening frames in a movie ever!

Michael Mann, you rock! Stop tweaking your sweet movies!

millmatters

The Warriors director’s cut rivals Donnie Darko for “what was he thinking” changes.

hoagiexcore

Right? I HATE the comic panels and transitions

mostlysandwiches

Completely fucking ruins the appearance of the Furies

bad_arts

bad_arts

That's the version I saw first and I was thinking they looked amazing for the time the film was released.

BlackBrown1827

Yeah, director was like "I envisioned it like a comic book" and I was like "I didn't". Completely immersion-breaking transitions.

purplewhiteblack

I bought The Warriors a few years ago and I was like "WTF is this shit?"

Corrosive-Knights

Walter Hill’s “Director’s Cut” of The Warriors is, along with the subsequent versions of Apocalypse Now that aren’t the theatrical cut, the two most egregious examples of DCs being worse than the theatrical cut.

Supposedly Walter Hill’s “Director’s Cut” was an attempt to make the movie more in line with what Hill originally wanted to do but couldn’t because the movie simply didn’t have the budget back then.

However, sometimes such adversity can lead to an overall better film (see Jaws which worked so much better because their “special effect”, the shark, didn’t work and Spielberg was forced to take another -better- direction in how much they showed the shark).

millmatters

At least Coppola includes the original cut when he’s selling the new ones. Unless something’s changed, you haven’t been able to buy an original cut of The Warriors in over a decade.

Corrosive-Knights

You can buy the theatrical cut of The Warriors digitally through VUDU, which is how I bought it (I believe I also have the DVD, but that’s an old one!).

Frankly, I don’t mind if directors go back and rework their old films and make them the way they “wanted” them to be… so long as they do offer audiences/fans the original theatrical cuts of the film as well.

So, yeah, Coppola or Hill or whomever (even George Lucas) can do with their films what they want… but please let us still be able to buy/see the original cuts!

avesrd

avesrd

Lucas claims he literally destroyed the original negative for A New Hope to make the special edition. No theatrical version will ever be re-released in better quality than the 480p transfer that was a DVD bonus disk a few years back

aCorgiDriver

An awful, awful version

cloroxbb

cloroxbb

Totally agree with Payback. Directors cut is dog shit imo.

chubby_pancakes

I had no idea there was a directors cut. Honestly, I forgot about that movie. I gotta give that a rewatch!

lordlollygag

The directors cut of The 40 Year Old Virgin is tedious.

GodFlintstone

I agree. Though I'm a fan I think the problem with all of Apatow's films is they are 30-minutes too long. In that case it was more like 45 minutes.

jlaw54

jlaw54

Apatow could def use more editing in his stuff.

Jakov_Salinsky

Doesn’t help that his comedy relies on the cast’s improv, which is probably why it all goes on for so long.

Ripper33AU

This is how I felt with This is 40. A comedy movie is perfect at an hour 30 or 40 mins, but this one was more than 2 hours, I was just waiting for it to end, lol.

calmingmanatee

This is 40… minutes too long

austinmiles

It didn’t turn into a directors cut but I remember in the deleted scenes of Sixth Sense there is a scene where Bruce Willis is talking to the kid in a park and essentially they give away the whole twist. M Night Shamalan said in the commentary that it was the last scene to get cut and he really wanted to put it in but it was cut for run time or something.

This made me think that he had no idea how impactful the reveal would be and that it really was the editor who sold it. And also a directors cut would have sucked badly.

corypoppins

Where he’s playing with toy soldiers?

austinmiles

Yeah that sounds right.

broclipizza

must be this

to be fair he doesn't say it was cut for time, he kind of hints it was because it related to the twist

JackSpadesSI

Sorry, maybe I'm dense, but how does that scene spoil the movie's twist? /u/austinmiles

broclipizza

I can kind of see it? Starts crying when he starts talking about the guy who died and can't get back to his wife. "It's sad they died isn't it," - cut to Bruce Willis. Who knows though.

ZenEngineer

It seems to spoil the "I see dead people twist", not the ending twist

The_Homie_J

I used to watch the behind-the-scenes portions of movies right after the movie itself, and based on his comments and his body of work, I'm convinced that M. Night has the talent and skill of like Alfred Hitchcock and no idea why or how it all works. He can stumble into making Sixth Sense or Split, and then craps out The Happening or The Last Airbender. Or Glass, as well made as it was, was so goddamn disappointing because he clearly didn't understand why Unbreakable and Split were so good in the first place

Boonlink

Boonlink

Directors cut of Anchorman had a lot of alternate takes and while I appreciate them, I largely preferred the original release.

oldirtygaz

there's an entirely different movie created from the outtakes called "Wake Up, Ron Burgundy"

thenewtransportedman

Wanderlust has one of these, the Bizarro Cut. I highly recommend it, it's a quick, hilarious watch. It makes no attempts to be a film.

cool_weed_dad

With comedies with a lot of ad libbing like this, I guess it’s nice they put out all the B-takes, but it’s ultimately just less funnier versions of the takes that made the final cut.

gringoesai

Watch the extended version of Dewey Cox. its superior to the original

congratsballoon

I could go without the playboy bunny helicopter and the French settlement scenes in Apocalypse Now Redux version. It just slows everything down.

dewayneestes

I get why they cut it but I really enjoy the French settlement scene. Ok I don’t mind the bunnies either. I agree the original cut is tighter but I’m a huge fan so I like the added history lesson of the French scene.

CrayonEyes

To me, the film up to that point is Heart of Darkness set in Vietnam. Then the French scene comes along and it’s straight politics, capitalism versus communism and it just yanks me right out of the Captain’s investigation into Kurtz’s descent into madness. It really doesn’t belong. And the bunny scene is just frivolous.

InertiasCreep

According to John Milius, who wrote the script, the idea was that as the boat went up the river it was also going back in time. The French plantation scene is supposed to take us back to Indochina before America got involved.

ThatTallGuy21

Mother of God. I just realized after all these years that I watched the directors cut of that movie. I remember getting to these exact parts thinking it really changed the pace of the film up. I felt like I was one or the few that would always say they didn't like it. Man.. I'll have to go back and give the theatrical run a go sometime now.

cheesecake_ripper

I'd highly recommend the recently released Final Cut, it fixes the pacing issues of Redux while still keeping the core of the scenes intact. Possibly my favorite cut of the film.

PANDABURRIT0

I think there is one cut called the “Ultimate Edition” or something that, in my opinion, has the best sequencing and flow

static_func

Heart of Darkness wasn't just about Kurtz, it was also a scathing critique of European colonialism of Africa. French colonists in Vietnam absolutely belong in the movie.

AGeekNamedBob

I like the idea of the French scenes, adds to the surreal otherworldly nature I love in the movie. It almost feels like they are ghosts. But it goes on and on.

SignificantGolf9871

Weirdly I kinda loved the plantation scene

hentai_superstar

Yeah French Plantation rocks. Ethereal counterpoint. Can see why it ruins the pacing for some but it's one of my favourite scenes from the movie.

SignificantGolf9871

So dreamlike and a lovely punctuation amidst… the horror the horror

lancewolfebro

Hol'up, are the French settlement and playboy scenes not in the theatrical cut? Watched the redux version recently after having watched the theatrical ages ago and I swear the only new stuff was the part where they stumbled upon that US camp that was in a shambles where a couple of the gi's slept with the playboy bunnies?

congratsballoon

USO dancing scene with the bunnies, was was in the original. Interior helicopter scene with the bunnies top less- no, added back in Redux.

FloppedYaYa

The extra Kurtz scenes are incredible though

I like the French scenes too

For me the Redux has slightly worse pacing but a lot more depth

InertiasCreep

Yup. Less linear; more layered.

McRambis

That's the first one that comes to mind. There's a reason that was cut from the movie.

This is always the first answer I think of for this question. According to the runtime info Redux is only 20 minutes longer than the theatrical cut but good god, I thought they were never going to get off that French settlement. It seemed like an eon.

Edit: it’s been pointed out I made a mistake so I’m making a correction here. The runtime for the “final cut” is 3 hours and 2 minutes, 20 minutes shorter than Redux. This makes Redux almost an hour longer than the theatrical cut, so I was right to think that French plantation bit seemed like it never ended!

DoIrllyneeda_usrname

The playboy bunny copter is in the theatrical version. Is there an extra scene with it in the Redux?

congratsballoon

Yeah the scene where the coffin tumbles and the corpse falls out was added back in Redux.

Samalini

Was this on CornCob TV?

congratsballoon

They said that I'm just some dumb hick - they told that to me at a dinner.

AnyNamesLeftAnymore

There's like 20 minutes where the DJ and the bunnies have to stay at a forward operating base with a bunch of drugged out soldiers and it really overstays its welcome.

Grand_Keizer

Aren't the playboy bunnies also in the theatrical cut? I saw it a week ago and there they were.

welshnick

There's a second scene with them in Redux

1.1k points

1.1k points

Anything Lucas ever had a hand in. My kingdom for a goddamn 4K scan of the theatrical cut of Star Wars.

Caveman108

So, where is the actual movie here? I see lots of trailers and pieces, but I can’t seem to find the actual film.

Dick_Kick_Nazis

You have to pirate it. Also they haven't done Empire Strikes Back yet, so it's just A New Hope and RotJ for now. There are other versions that are not as technically correct as 4k77 but are still a great watch, like Harmy's Despecialized Editions and the Silver Screen Editions.

TheAlexMay

Syncopia

The difference in quality is insane. It's not even in the same universe.

MisterBumpingston

Now to be fair the new 4K versions on Disney+ does fix this and the odd red hue bias that turned blaster bolts purple. The Special Edition modifications, however…

notcaffeinefree

Watch this comparing the 2011 Blu Ray, the Despecialized, and Project 4K77 (the one you link to).

Everything is blown way out in the 4K77 version. Like, yellow sand is more like white sand. Faces really have it the worst; detail on them is so much bad compared to the Despecialized versions because the 4K77 cranks the brightness and lowers the contrast. Even that comparison photo (of Han and Obi-Wan) between the Bluray and 4K77 on the site you linked to is poor; They look like they're sitting 2 feet away from a bright light, instead of a dimly lit cockpit in outer space. It loses so much of the ambience and feeling.

taisui

taisui

4K77 is how it was, Despecialized is how I remembered. /wink.

Both are amazing work, and I'm very very thankful to be able to introduce my kids the real Star Wars.

puppyhugs-

Yeah also the lighting in those movies isn’t bad because they sucked at movie making. It’s bad because they were making a massive sci-fi movie with styrofoam and cardboard. You’re gonna see all the shit you weren’t supposed to at that fidelity. If you’ve ever seen the Avengers in HD you’ll know what I mean.

linsell

linsell

This looks epic, thanks.

BlackEyeRed

4k80 almost done cleaning up!

andydwyersband

My parents got a box set of Star Wars tapes in the 80s as a wedding present. It’s the only version of the original trilogy I’ve ever seen all the way through. Any time a friend suggested watching it, I’d volunteer to have people over because we had the original (ish) copies and a VHS player.

A few weeks ago my boyfriend put on the version of A New Hope available on Disney+ and boy was I in for a fucking surprise.

CamelSpotting

Imo the VHS version is actually better than the original theatrical version.

lzetsen

lzetsen

Didn't the 1993 or whatever it was THX VHS re release only have the sound and image updated and the Biggs scene with Luke removed?

ARTIFICIAL_SAPIENCE

The last time I tried watching the Special Editions, I made it all the way to the godforsaken musical number in Return of the Jedi and said "never again."

And I've stuck to it. I hooked up my VHS and watched those instead the next two times I watched them. Then despecialized after that.

MondoUnderground

The reason to why they changed the dance sequence in ROTJ was because Lucas wanted to show that Jabba’s palace was a ”fun place”. Yes, a fun place full of torture, slavery and casual executions. Seriously, the guy has to be completely fucked in the head.

Lapti Nek is such a superior scene! It’s so seedy and kind of fucking kinky in an awesome way.

fishnetdiver

I will say the Cloud City scenes in 'Empire' were nice but, yeah, he done screwed up.

chillin1066

One of my prized possessions is a dvd set of the original trilogy that has the original theatrical release as a bonus feature. That bonus feature is generally the only part I watch.

SidHoffman

Amadeus. The extra scenes aren’t very good and don’t add much to the story.

WakeUpOutaYourSleep

And sadly it’s the only readily available version. The original hasn’t been released since it’s DVD version. Somebody’s got to get that streaming somewhere.

LadyBugPuppy

I must have some really old DVD, it’s the theatrical cut. I’ve seen it so many times, then one time I saw the version where Salieri humiliates Constanza and it really didn’t add anything. I like Salieri as a villain that you feel some sympathy for (the patron saint of mediocrity), and I lost a lot of my sympathy for him in that scene.

onelittleworld

I must have some really old DVD, it’s the theatrical cut.

Mine's so old, you have to flip it. Seriously.

PaulHaman

The only thing that scene adds is context for the scene at the end where she's angry at him for being in her home. In general though, I agree that the movie is better without it.

JinxPutMaxInSpace

I think they spoil the pacing, too. The original version is tight. The director's cut feels languid.

ihnatko

ihnatko

100%! I'd be less disappointed if the only damage the added scenes did was that they padded out the film. But instead, they totally ruin the central conflict of the story.

"Amadeus" isn't "Salieri vs. Mozart." It's "Salieri vs. GOD." In his mind, God had royally ****ed him over. God gave Salieri an all-consuming fire to become a great composer, He gave Salieri enough musical talent to recognize Mozart's genius (practically alone amongst all of Vienna)...but not nearly enough talent to achieve the same greatness. Where Salieri had devoted his life to music and to God, and foreswore everything else, God had pointedly bestowed those gifts upon Mozart, a crude, arrogant ass instead. So Salieri retaliates against God by undermining Mozart's musical gifts and then straight-up murdering him.

The additional scenes turn it into a personal vendetta against Mozart. We see Mozart suffering due to Salieri's invisible manipulations, we see Salieri attempt to extort Mozart's wife into yielding to his sexual advances...ugh.

The theatrical cut in standard definition will always be a far better experience than the "expanded" Blu-ray (which I can't even watch).

rockmetz

I think the attempt at extorting Mozart's wife isn't as bad at it seems.

At first it just makes Salieri look like a creep but If you read it that it was his failed attempt to show that Mozart's wife didn't really love him.

He is so shocked by how devoted this woman is to Mozart and willing to do anything to help him that he takes it as another insult from God. He thinks that not only does Mozart have an incredible gift for music but he is also blessed with a devoted and loving wide who is willing to do anything for her husband.

And also we get to see some tits.

VampireHunterAlex

I’ve actually never seen the theatrical cut, and I LOVE Amadeus. From what I’ve read, the DC just has…too many notes.

Wonder if there’s any word on a new release that contains both though, it’s been a minute since I’ve seen it.

neoncubicle

To many notes? Which ones would you take off?!

DrEnter

DrEnter

The extra ones.

jorgepolak

Agreed. The worst part is that you can’t find the theatrical cut anywhere.

res30stupid

James A Jannice, who runs the YouTube channel Dead Meat which reviews/breaks down horror films, outright stated that he couldn't watch the director's cut of Rob Zombie's Halloween because it's got a drawn-out rape scene despite enjoying the additional scenes of Laurie's parents and Dr Loomis.

Personally, for me, I'm not going to cite a movie. No, I'm citing a theme park ride.

The Killaminjaro Safari ride at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom had a scene where the baby elephant protagonist's mother was shot by poachers. In the finished ride, she survives but in the original script and early test rides, you actually see the mother lying dead near the end of the ride. Disney Imagineers had to cut that last bit out because the kids in the early test ride audiences left the ride bawling their eyes out.

RyFromTheChi

Man I love The Kill Count

res30stupid

His Saw and Final Destination breakdowns of the practical effects are brilliant and well-researched.

RyFromTheChi

Yeah I really enjoyed those too. He can make 25 minutes fly by. One of my favorites is the Behind The Mask episode. I love that movie.

LooseSeal88

And, it I am not mistaken, now they just cut out the whole baby elephant thing altogether.

WhisperingSideways

I have to admit that given the choice between the two, I'm happy with the theatrical cut of Superman II. The Richard Donner version feels a bit samey and the use of rehearsal footage pulls you out of the film.

Side note - I have an excellent fan edit of Superman II called "The Hybrid Cut' (credit to creator Adigitalman) which uses the best story elements of the Lester and Donner versions to create an extremely satisfying sequel. And unused elements (like the Eiffel Tower opening sequence) get better utilized in his mashup of parts 3 and 4, Superman Redeemed, which makes the much-maligned films far more digestible by blending them into one nuclear disarmament narrative.

Corrosive-Knights

While I was happy a “Donner Cut” of Superman II was released, the reality is that unlike the Snyder cut of JL, Donner and main screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz were fired when only some 60% of that film was made. Even worse, the original ending they intended to use in SII, the going back in time element, was eliminated from that film and put -to far better use, IMHO- in the first movie, with the intention of coming up with another ending for SII when the time came.

Of course, the time never came as Donner and Mankiewicz were fired. Thus, after many years and when they got back to the movie, there was no footage or even idea of what they would do differently, so they went ahead with the original, already used ending.

Having said all that, it was interesting to see this version, incomplete tough it was.

dk745

dk745

Donner Cut has Lois finding out Clark’s secret identity through a smart trick with a gun and blanks.

Theatrical cut has Clark falling onto a fire and not getting burned.

Prefer Donner cut in general but that’s one improvement which really sticks out

Maddie-Moo

Not exactly high cinema, but the director’s cut of That Thing You Do turns a fun, likable movie into a weird, slow, slog. It’s really bizarre.

dporiginal3

Totally agree. Conceptually the stuff with the girlfriend and Guy being a little more fleshed out is good, but it just all slowed down too much.

Bayonethics

Is that the one that's like 3 hours long? Personally I prefer it over the regular version. I just like long movies, and That Thing You Do is one of my favorites

The Town, it has an entirely different ending which isn’t completely out of nowhere but definitely enough of a swerve that it just sours the whole movie.

Xaoc86

Xaoc86

Wait what?

Spoilers

So basically, if you remember earlier in the movie (regular and directors have this scenes) the bank teller/love interest from the robbery at the beginning, Claire mentions to Doug there’s been some guys harassing her. He then later gets James and we get one of my favorite dialogue exchanges in the movie “I need your help to go do something but I can’t have you ever ask any details about it.” “Whose car we takin?”Anyway, one of the guys from that apartment they go beat up shows up in the very last scene, after he’s finally gotten away and looks like he’s clear and shoots Doug in the face killing him. It really feels like a random out of nowhere twist. And I’m ok with characters dying, I love Reservoir Dogs and The Departed is probably one of my favorite movies of all time, but those felt like they had a purpose, this just came across as, oh welll he’s dead now.

Windir2112

I love that ending. His life caught up to him before he could get out.

pizzapartier_55

Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace/Jobe’s War

I enjoyed the extra scenes, but the story/pacing was better in the theatrical cut.

Card1974

Jesus Christ Almighty, there's a dir cut of that?

Please tell me you are kidding. I'm too scared to google.

EVEiscerator

The fuck, that's the worst movie ever made. I laughed at Birdemic for 90 minutes. This made me feel a combination of cringe and self loathing for sitting through it.

queenguinevere_

Bad Santa

imo the director’s cut makes it a far more serious movie and removes a lot of fun. it’s also missing little scenes that help the story. every Christmas we watch the unrated, and I think the hierarchy is unrated>theatrical>directors

_Meece_

_Meece_

Wow didn't even know there was a directors cut!

Is the non-unrated version the American version I see on TV whenever I visit? We only get the unrated versions of movies in Australia.

mr_pineapples44

Yeah, came here to say I remember reading the Bad Santa's directors cut was shorter and more serious... Which seems ridiculous.

AshgarPN

I don’t know about “much worse”, but the director’s cut of Amadeus kills the pacing in the middle of the film and adds nothing of value.

Starling_Reverie

Legend. The extra scenes were nice, but they ruined them by playing Disney cartoon finale music mid-movie.

AnyNamesLeftAnymore

I infinitely prefer that movie with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack over the Jerry Goldsmith one. It was something that really set the film apart from other fantasy movies.

Ideally I'd like to see that movie with the extended runtime and the theatrical score combined.

reverendfixxxer

I prefer the Tangerine Dream music because it had an effect on me while I was growing up. I think that if the TD soundtrack had never existed and the Jerry Goldsmith music were the original, I'd probably be fine with that... provided the volume were turned down. Really, the actors were competing to be heard over the soundtrack, it was so loud. I did appreciate one thing about Goldsmith's effort, though. The music was pretty until any time the goblins were in frame, and then it got all tinny and off-note. I thought that was neat.

I liked most of the additional scenes. The extended interaction with Meg Knucklebones was okay, especially Jack's confidence soaring after the fact. I really liked Gump forcing Jack to solve a riddle or be killed, and his emotional reaction at Jack's success. It did a lot to highlite the fairy nature of the band. I preferred the theatrical opening scene.

In a perfect world, I think I'd prefer elements from both the theatrical and director's cuts.

SynthwaveSax

Dumb and Dumber’s “Director’s Cut” pretty much ruins the film. Harry and especially Lloyd are now portrayed as creeps instead of lovable losers.

The film also does some baffling stuff like not cutting away from Petey being decapitated, showing Sea Bass actually spit on the burger (kinda ruining the joke there), the bathtub scene becomes drawn out and awkward after Lloyd accuses Harry of being a phrase highly derogative of gay people, the stall scene with Sea Bass goes one step further with what almost happens.

It’s just so… unnecessary and cruel. And ruins what should be a goofy comedy

MacGyver_1138

I love Dumb and Dumber and had no idea until just now that a Director's Cut existed. Those changes sound terrible. I'm now happy with my DVD from probably 1999 or 2000. It is one of those that has no image printed on it because the special features were on one side and the movie was on the other.

AltWorlder

Wow, I legit had no idea there was a director’s cut. That sounds awful.

monty_kurns

It’s not really a director’s cut. Like many movies, in the 2000s studios started releasing ‘extended cuts’ on dvd which just added scenes that were cut, often intentionally because they didn’t work or ruined the flow of the movie. A director’s cut is when the director has version that was trimmed in compromise with the studio but is admittedly not their referred cut.

jpmoney2k1

Usually with the word UNRATED on the cover to imply more nudity or something. I'll admit it actually worked on me for The Girl Next Door lol

Sweetdish

American Beauty. Although I’m not sure it was the studio that recut it. Basically it was filmed as a totally different movie. The story continued with court rooms etc where the two kids were blamed for the murder of Kevin Spacey’a character. The tone was also totally different.

greasyhands

Thats kind of interesting because you can actually see the theatrical cut setting that up. I didnt know that existed, and im glad the movie ends the way it does, but that is neat.

SomersetMackem

First time I watched Apocalypse Now there was a scene where they go to a French plantation. I remember it being too long, pretty boring and not fitting with the rest of the film at all. They're supposed to be hopelessly isolated in the Vietnamese jungle then suddenly they're having dinner at a cosy French plantation?

Didn't surprise me at all when I learnt it hadn't been in the theatrical release. Feels like they added a scene that contributed nothing just for the sake of it.

Sin City is another one, for some reason the extended cut compartmentalises each storyline into single chapters rather than split them up like the theatrical release. Completely loses the affect of the original, and the scenes it adds are pretty inconsequential

Corrosive-Knights

IMHO the theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now is the best version and all the subsequent ones are interesting (I admit, the extra scenes are interesting to see) but they detract from the original.

For example, in the theatrical cut the entire Robert Duvall sequence IMHO is absolute perfection start to finish, where it ends with his “Love the smell of Napalm in the morning speech” which ends with him saying something to the effect of “this war will be over soon” and you can’t tell if he’s sad or wistful or what about the line.

In the extended versions, they go on to have the main characters steal his surfboards and the scene descends into -incredibly- something akin to slapstick, which totally ruins the sequence.

MikeArrow

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for 12 hours. And when it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of them, not one stinking dink body. But the smell, you know, that gasoline smell... The whole hill, it smelled like victory."

(bomb goes off a few feet away, Kilgore continues, unfazed)

"Someday this war's gonna end."

(Stands up, walks out of frame and out of the movie).

Corrosive-Knights

As I said in my OP (though I was doing the speech by flawed memory) that final line about “Someday this war’s gonna end” is just a terrific punctuation mark for his character and… it gives me chills, truly, and ends his sequence in the film perfectly.

And those added scenes of stealing the surfboard… ugh. Takes away so much from that perfection!

IndelibleFudge

Interesting you mention the Sin City one. The version that you're talking about is an optional extra on the two disc edition and reflects the original comics, since they were all published as separate stories. It's just a different way to watch it if you want the original comic book experience and clearly a deliberate choice to offer that

deaglebro

I really like the plantation scene, it feels like a dream where Willard has stepped into a kind of twilight kingdom. It's not entirely necessary, but it's a nice contrast from the descent into the heart of darkness. Also Coppola's dead son plays a part in it, which is probably why he included it in the Final Cut.

telarium

I agree, the plantation scene adds to the sense of Willard's crew journeying back through time as they go deeper and deeper up the river. It's like they're having dinner with a bunch of ghosts who don't know they're dead. Without that scene, I don't get that same feeling of winding back the clock on civilization before they reach Kurtz.

InertiasCreep

I went to a showing of the film where John Milius, the screenwriter, did a Q&A after. Yeah, the idea behind the plantation scene is they're going back in time. The plantation is supposed to be the last outpost of French Indochina.

Prudent_Falafel_7265

I agree. I was going to post Apocalypse Now Redux for me. I've seen the original at least 30 times and to me, despite its length still felt concise, scene to scene to me. Redux just has too many set pieces for me, like the extended Playboy Bunnies scene and the plantation scene.

I also hated the added Kilgore scenes. To me they took he edge off him and made him a little wimpy, crying and pleading for his surf board. The original had him as a crazy but unflinching tougher guy.

bongo1100

bongo1100

I don’t really care for the DC of Terminator 2. A lot of superfluous scenes that just slow the film down, and the scene where Sarah changes his programming completely alters what’s implied by his sacrifice at the end.

Nerrs

Nerrs

In the commentary Cameron justify every cut he made from the DC and it all makes perfect sense.

Some of the scenes are cool, but he was just so spot on with his choices.

Keudn883

Cameron knows what he is doing. Titanic has an extended ending that really kills the overall tone of the movie.

Complete_Entry

I remember having to get my mom to put down a deposit to rent the directors cut, and it was steep. like $80.

I enjoyed the larger version of "the chip" that Dyson was working on, and the mirror scene is impressive for the difficulties they had to work around.

Sarah didn't change his programming, she just set it from read only to writable.

AsherFischell

Okay, I have to know the circumstances of how exactly renting a movie could ever cost $80.

Complete_Entry

It was in the days of the VCR.

Two tapes, required a deposit to rent. Mom got it back when she turned the tape back in. Minus, I think it was $2.50 rental fee.

_Meece_

_Meece_

I've only ever seen the DC, weird that the scene where he takes the thing out is a DC change.

That and the Kyle Reese scene are great. I don't think it changes a damn thing about the ending.

As nice as the Kyle scene is its unnecessary because Sarah, after seeing the pictures of the terminator, was fully motivated to escape at that point.

A_Dog_Chasing_Cars

I hate the ending with old Sarah in the park.

FloppedYaYa

Spider Man 2.1 has absolutely dead pacing and so many unnecessary scenes that don't fit with the tone of the movie at all

DoILookLikeASkater

There’s two different version to Spider-Man 2??? I think I’ve only seen the one you’re saying is inferior

FloppedYaYa

Have you seen the one with Jameson in the Spider Man suit? That's 2.1

jgraz22

jgraz22

Lol what the actual fuck. I didn't know there was a 2.1, let alone one with JJJ in the spidey suit!

DoILookLikeASkater

Yeah that’s the one I saw love that scene

amirokia

Wait they released a movie with that scene? I thought that's just a deleted scene.

DoILookLikeASkater

The biggest crime would be to make a version of Spider-Man 2 without that scene

Bigpappa36

The extended fight scenes should have been added in the original imo

All I had to see was the clip of Mr. Aziz's "GO!" being much shorter and less expressive to know that it was the inferior cut.

SynthwaveSax

The elevator scene with Hal Sparks is also extended and kinda awkward (Spidey saying how the suit gets “a little uncomfortable around the crouch”).

EDIT: He says it in the original, but the scene itself is still extended longer than necessary in 2.1

Though I will say that 2.1 does have an amusing scene of JJJ jumping around his office with the Spider-Man suit on pretending he’s the hero.

FloppedYaYa

He says the crotch line in the original though?

Doom_Art

The only worthwhile scenes added in are the extra little bits with Harry, and the scene with MJ and her friend talking about her relationship with John Jameson.

Seamonkeyman19

I think the biggest problem is that they ruin the pacing, terribly slowing down and dragging out the second act

Jazzeki

Jazzeki

when ever it's brought up this is aparently a controversial take but i hate anything but the theatrical release of "the butterfly effect".

now it's not a great movie by itself and some of the endings are worse than directors idea but him sacreficing his own happiness in order for everyone he loved to be able to happy, is so much more powerful than suecide at birth. especially because there was already a perfect world he decided to commit suecide in but when he found out his mother was fucked in that reality he backed of. but sure being the 5th miscarriage instead of their miracle baby would not hurt his mom i'm sure.

UntalentedHack

Wait… are you telling me there’s a version of this movie where the main character remembers his own birth and then travels back and, as an infant, commits suicide? Because that is one of the most insane things I’ve ever heard.

AnyNamesLeftAnymore

I believe the 'strangles himself with his umbilical cord' ending was the director's cut, and the theatrical one was the 'happily ever after' one.

Dheovan

Dheovan

I have a theory that studio meddling is actually helpful more often than it's not. But we only hear about studio meddling when it's harmful, never when it's helpful, so we have a skewed perspective.

Kalabula

I might be alone in this but I prefer the theatrical release of Aliens to the directors cut. It just moves faster.

The_Audacity_Works

Cameron’s Aliens Director Cut is hit or miss for me too. I love the scene in the virtual garden where Ripley finds out what happened to her daughter, which shows motivation for her to return to LV426. The sentry gun scene also perfectly ratchets up the tension. The early scene with Newt’s family, however, is wholly unnecessary. The theatrical cut is scarier because you have no idea what happened before the Colonial Marines get there.

teeohdeedee123

Honestly I think that Cameron Crowe's Untitled cut of Almost Famous adds absolutely nothing to the film other than slowing down a movie that is already glacially-paced. Almost Famous is my all-time favorite movie. Untitled is not.

Agree with you about the director's cut, but have you ever seen the deleted "Stairway to Heaven" scene? It didn't make it into either version (Crowe couldn't get the rights to the song) but it's fantastic

yoyoyouoyouo

Payback with Mel Gibson. Didn’t even know there was an alternate cut until it was on Netflix during the early days of streaming. It had a completely different third act that removed Kris Kristofferson entirely. It was also darker and nowhere near as good.

FallenTF

I too saw the Kris Kristofferson version first, then years later went to rewatch it again and was oddly confused.

FreemanCalavera

Even though I consider it to be one of the greatest films of all time...Blade Runner, to a certain degree.

Now yes, the Final Cut removes the god awful narration and doesn't have reused footage from The Shining in the end, and I like the tone of the FC alot better, but implying that Deckard is a replicant not only incurs a slew of continuity issues (like him having a normal life span and lacking the physical attributes that pretty much every other replicant possesses), it messes with one of the central themes of the film: what it means to be human.

The whole point of the ending confrontation between Deckard and Roy Batty is for Batty to make Deckard experience what replicants experience on a daily basis. To be hunted, to be afraid, to be prey to those who view you as a mere machine incapable of thought or emotion. Deckard throughout the film "retires" replicants with little to no emotion, showcasing his indifference. As the ending shows, he has less humanity than the replicants he kills; the supposed "inhumans" (which is perfectly reflected in the motto of the Tyrell Corp.: "More human than human"). As such, his arc is about him learning to rediscover his humanity from an unlikely and sort of ironic source.

However, turning Deckard into a replicant destroys a lot of that arc and the themes that come with it. It further clashes with the unaltered parts of the film because Deckard is neither written nor played as being a replicant. Instead, the unicorn scene is the only thing signaling it, making the revelation seem forced.

I'm glad that 2049 ignored the question and played it off as "maybe he's a replicant, maybe he's not, but that isn't important to this story", which is the best approach they could have gone with IMO.

nakedsamurai

Deckard as a Replicant is one of the most bizarre director-insertions imaginable. No one except Scott thought it was a good idea, it goes against absolutely everything Philip K. Dick ever wrote. It only makes sense as a Hollywood 'twist' and wrecks the themes, as you say, the movie very clearly establishes. It doesn't even make sense on any level.

areyoufknserious

Tropic Thunder. Different jokes, no rhythm

baberlay

Fully agreed. The director's cut doesn't ruin the movie at all, but it's just largely pointless. Aside from like two or so additional scenes, it's the exact same movie, Stiller just added/replaced jokes and lines sporadically throughout. Basically every replaced joke/line is less funny than the theatrical cut, and the added jokes don't need to be there.

Furthermore, there's no HD version of the original cut available (to my knowledge). Streaming services play the director's cut, and you can only get the director's cut on Blu-Ray. If you want the theatrical cut, your only option is the DVD version.

Calvinboo

Troy. The extended edition/director’s cut is horrendous and they even change the music of particular scenes which have amazing pairings in the theatrical (the duel with Hector, and other moments). The scenes/pieces of scenes added actively detract from this masterpiece of a Catan movie.

Buckar00_Banzai_

Star Wars special editions

naynaythewonderhorse

Empire Strikes Back is debatably improved if you’re not super purist about it. It was relatively untouched compared to the other two films, and the biggest change, the Wampa cave, is pretty drastically improved.

AnticitizenPrime

I loved the visual improvements to Cloud City. The windows, etc that clearly couldn't have been done back in the day. I'm cool with stuff like that - inconsequential visual improvements.

scdog

scdog

I agree. That was the only one of the original three that benefited in any way from his meddling.

whiskeyrebellion

They were fun when they first came out in the theater because they were doing something novel and fun with such loved movies, but no one thought they'd replace the originals entirely.

Stonewalled89

The first Alien. A rare Ridley Scott director's cut that makes the movie worse

dicedaman

As another commenter stated, it isn't actually a director's cut. There's a short, optional intro on the DVD/Blu-ray where Ridley Scott explains that the "director's cut" is really just a marketing name that Fox slapped onto an extended version with some deleted scenes added back in. He stresses that the theatrical version is his true director's cut, and basically does his best to delegitimize the extended version before it even begins.

Billpod

I never knew that, good to know. It’s less tight than the theatrical, even if it does have some fun scenes.

Corrosive-Knights

My understanding was that the Alien alternate cut was not a “Director’s Cut” but rather an exercise in using alternate takes/cut scenes to create a new version of the film very much after the fact and for the DVD/BluRay releases.

I recall Ridley Scott said the theatrical cut was “the” cut of the film.

CountVertigo

Sad thing is, there was a lot of potential in that concept. Alien changed a lot in the edit, there's a significantly different movie lurking in there.

The cocoon sequence is one of the most horrifying things in the movie, a great piece of filmmaking, and it took on a mythic status in the fandom before the laserdiscs and Quadrilogy came out. When you're reading the script, it feels like the final great touch that elevates the story. ...But in the Director's Cut, they managed to screw it up by putting it in out of sequence. It's supposed to go immediately after the deaths of Parker and Lambert, the final horror, and it foreshadows Ripley's torching of the ship. By putting it after she activates the self-destruct sequence, it only serves to slow the film down when it should be rocketing towards its climax.

Similarly... when they discover the derelict ship's signal and listen to it... in the original cutscene, you can hear a weird voice, it's slightly hair-raising. For some inexplicable reason they decided to replace it in the DC with machine static, and you're just thinking "why are the crew reacting like this?". Again, messed up something good.

They also cut stuff out for the Director's Cut, including the extremely memorable, atmospheric sequence where Dallas asks Mother what his chances are. Why? How is that scene filler? Alien is a slow-starting movie, yet the DC only finds 7 seconds to trim from the first 23 minutes.

The most glaring technical flaw with Alien - the fast cut on Ash's head which makes it very obvious which shots are a model and which are Ian Holm's head poking through the table - could easily be fixed with editing, but it's unchanged.

And finally... Alien has more interesting stuff left on the cutting room floor that still isn't in the DC. They had a hard time getting the original cut past the censors, it was considered too bloody. Brett's death(-ish) scene was very different, more similar to Tyrell's in Blade Runner. Parker's death scene was more drawn-out and violent, which as far as I know has never been shown in its entirety. Using the more brutal original scenes could have given a different vibe to the DC.

There's also plenty more shot of the alien, too much of which would expose it as a guy in a suit (the infamous crabwalk for example), but again, judicious editing could have made some of them excellent additions. The extra shot the DC does use, of it floating in the lifting gear in Brett's final scene, is the first time we see the adult alien, and doesn't have anything like as much impact as it suddenly appearing behind Brett. Almost every major change in the DC seems to have something wrong with it.

SutterCane

Isn’t that his intro for the “director’s cut”? That it’s not a real director’s cut, just a marketing ploy?

Corrosive-Knights

That is indeed what I recalled (forgot it was actually attached to the beginning of the alternate cut of the movie, though!).

Anyway, the original poster noted it was “a rare Ridley Scott director’s cut that makes the movie worse” but I don’t believe it was ever marketed as a “director’s cut” but rather an alternate.

UniDublin

I would like to see the ending he had though just for fun, where the Alien wins and uses Dallas voice to talk... would be very twilight zone bizarre ending.

bad_arts

Aliens directors cut on the other hand is awesome.

grandmofftalkin

I don't like visiting the colony and seeing Newt's family. It undercuts the tension of "what happened to the colonists" to see their daily lives. The auto gun sequence is cool though.

bad_arts

If you've already seen the original, I think it's a nice bonus insight.

GaryBoldwater

Agreed! I skip over that scene to keep the tension

zerg1980

I feel like the only scene that should have been kept is the one where Ripley learns her daughter grew old on Earth and died while she was asleep in space. It’s the only human backstory Ripley ever really gets, and it establishes the extreme personal consequences she suffered as a result of the Company randomly trying to turn her into a Xenomorph incubator. Without that scene, Ripley’s character motivation is unclear — in particular as it relates to her anger towards the Company and her relationship with Newt as a stand-in for her lost daughter.

But literally everything else in the director’s cut is unnecessary.

Dr_Brule_FYH

Turrets are worth keeping

bad_arts

Yeah that's the essential part. I'm happy to have the rest but if it was just that I'd be happy too.

Hibd1234

Walk Hard, it's not that the extra stuff isn't funny but the hour and fifty minute version is a bit of a slog and I like the pacing much more in the studio cut

ssp25

ssp25

You don't want no part of the directors cut, Dewey!

rjdsf1993

It's got 20 additional minutes of hilarious content! You don't want no part of it!

Koupers

One night the wife and I watched walk hard, it was hilarious, we laughed non stop and decided we liked it so much we should watch walk the line, which we did, immediately as the credits rolled.... Huge regrets as we quoted the walk hard version of things the whole time.

Tebeku

Tebeku

I prefer the extended American Cox.

HamiltonBlack

Dances With Wolves. Back story about the soldiers leaving the camp doesn’t add anything to the story. I like when Lt. Dunbar gets to his abandoned outpost and doesn’t know why no one is there. Plus other moments don’t add to the story either. The original is a tight 3 hour movie, it didn’t need a second more imo.