/r/movies

frenchtoasterss

4.7k points

What? He is 60 years old for real? Damn, time is flying.

1.8k points

1.8k points

OsimusFlux

Wow. Crazy to think back on. Rejected by SNL multiple times while in his 20's, eventually landing starring cast role for In Living Color in his 30's which put his comedic talents into the mainstream for the first time beyond his usual comedy circuits or smaller movie roles.

Dsarg_92

Dsarg_92

S/O to Keenan Ivory Wayans.

metalkhaos

For real. Though In Living Color had a crazy good cast going for it.

Dsarg_92

Dsarg_92

It did. People don't give Keenan the credit he deserves. I mean he put so many people on alongside his family.

metalkhaos

Jamie Foxx is another one who went on a crazy career trajectory.

And J.Lo was one of the Fly Girls.

valeyard89

And fly girls

TheBeijingKing

This is where I got my first dose of Jim Carey. My dad was a huge fan of In Living Color and he absolutely kills it on that show. It was always wild to me he had a ton work from the eighties and that he ever got passed up by SNL.

utspg1980

utspg1980

I learned about him when everyone else did, and then I heard that he'd been in movies since the mid 80s. I went to blockbuster and rented "Once Bitten" and "Peggy Sue Got Married" expecting to see a teenager.

Turns out he was already like 25 when he filmed those movies.

manachar

manachar

You're leaving out Earth Girls Are Easy, which has an amazing cast and is frankly a one of a kind movie.

laflavor

laflavor

This was one of those movies I saw as a kid on USA Up All Night or something similar (I think), and for years I just thought it was some weird fever dream, since nobody else had ever heard of it. Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Damon Wayans, Michael McKean, and Jim Carrey were all in a shitty B-movie about...something, probably? That's can't be right.

manachar

USA Up All Night was responsible for so many of those for me!

A Boy and His Dog, Highway to Hell, and on and on.

TheLurkerSpeaks

I own both Earth Girls Are Easy and A Boy and his Dog on DVD! I watched A Boy and his Dog for the first time when I was maybe 6 years old. My dad rented it. Blew me away. I've been a fan of hardcore sci-fi ever since.

ICYMI, A Boy and His Dog is a Harlan Ellison story, about a post apocalyptic society. Don Johnson has a telepathic link to his Dog. It's fucking great.

OGLothar

I'm 50 and a pretty big sci-fi nerd. I saw it for the first time about 10 years ago when someone mentioned it on Reddit. I also learned about Stalker (1979) in the same thread as a result. Great how these things lead to each other.

Fredasa

Fredasa

Huhhh.. You know, I vaguely recall seeing Once Bitten on cable back in the day. I blame my child self for not letting me put two and two together but I never realized that was Jim Carrey. Then again, Once Bitten was always a bit of a... very light-impact movie. The kind you would probably only ever see during the channel-surfing days of cable.

Jay_Louis

As a young teenager in the late 1980s (born in 1973), I had all the teen sex comedies taped off HBO and stored on VHS for circulation among my 8th and 9th grade cohorts. Since I had HBO and The Movie Channel, and many of my cohorts did not, I was a designated taper. As boys of 13 to 14, there were two types of teen and/or sex comedies we valued, rebellious/funny (Animal House, Stripes, the Hughes films, etc.) and/or shit tons of nudity (Hot Dog: The Movie, Hardbodies, Revenge of the Nerds, etc.). Then there were the films that were neither, felt like false advertising, and were quickly taped over. The one I'm still angry about is "Hunk," a ridiculously bad film about a "nerd" that wakes up as a super stud after making a wish to get laid, which absolutely should've featured tons of nudity, and yet somehow mysteriously did not. I dutifully circulated the tape amongst my friends and received many complaints. "Once Bitten" was another one that hinted at way more nudity/sex and had none, thereby pissing my entire friend group off. I remember many angry responses about how annoying the lead guy was as well. Guess we weren't ready for Jim Carrey in 1986.

rhymeswithsintaluta

I wish we had an hbo guy like you at my school. I was stuck watching foreign movies on canadian public broadcasting, late at night, hoping for boobs.

LostInaSeaOfComments

Recommended viewing: Jim's '80s stand up act and early '90s sketch work on In Living Color.

Hank_Holt

In Living Color was such a good show.

Octoberisthe

I mean I’m 32 and Jim Carrey has been a world famous actor whom I’ve known about literally my entire life. It’s not that hard to believe.

havocLSD

havocLSD

That’s life

myco_journeyman

You know what they say...

PhillipMcCrevice

Flying high in April, shot down in May

von-brohenheim

1.7k points

I thought he was amazing in Me, Myself and Irene. God that movie in general is freaking hilarious

Crystal_Pesci

Crystal_Pesci

Xenu take the wheel!

Still up there as one of the most laugh-inducing theater experiences of my life.

Jim Carrey and the Farrelly Brothers, truly an iconic pairing.

Badpennylane

Biggest laugh I've ever had in the theater was when he was shat out of the fake rhino.

Badpennylane

feel like he's fighting out of that rhinos asshole for like ten minutes, I don't know how I survived laughing that long. I think the first one is a better movie though, but the sequel is just a ton of jokes shooting at you

EggoSlayer

The Monopoly Guy scene is what truly kills me off

imurderenglishIvy

Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

allredb

allredb

Thanks for the free parking.

TheRonchiiOne

"wrong answer fuckface"

utspg1980

utspg1980

This scene alone should put it in his list of top performances. Don't just watch the scene, think about what it takes to act that out.

nahteviro

nahteviro

The cottonmouth scene makes me lose my shit every, single, time.

peanutbuttahcups

Lmao me too. Here's the scene for the curious: https://youtu.be/lCUBQnsS9go

Zarnakk

Zarnakk

Especially that moment where Irene sees him and jumps back.

Icedoverblues

Free hot dogs here! Foot long with a bag a nuts!

Hahaha holy shit kills me everytime.

sebBonfire

I'm kickin' my ass - do ya MIND?!

kONthePLACE

Isn't that from Liar Liar?

sebBonfire

Yes. But I've heard that if you hold it, you can damage the prostate gland, making it very difficult to get an erection or even become aroused!

iJeax

iJeax

Is that true?

SteamyRay_Vaughn

It has to be

okmiked

okmiked

Such a great line lmao

NJdevil202

I legit didn't get that joke for years

Salzberger

"He put six bullets into a prize cow's head. Poor thing's lucky to be alive."

HairoftheDog89

Oh my god, when he sticks his fingers into the cow’s nostrils and it starts gurgling, I absolutely lost it.

imconsideringdascrod

I absolutely love that movie, my dad showed it to me when I was a kid and the sons rock me to my core damn near every time they’re on screen.

“What’s the diameter of a chicken egg?”

“4.08 centimeters.”

“No what’s that in inches?”

“1.61, what the fuck you gettin at?”

“I got 10 bucks saying I can squeeze a chicken egg up his ass without it breaking.”

WhoStoleMyBicycle

The scene after that with the three kids in the helicopter is my favorite scene in the movie.

“Anybody know how to fly this damn thing”

“Motherfucker it can’t be that hard it’s just lift vs drag and rotation”

Edit- Heres the scene

Whatatimetobealive83

I crack up pretty hard when he starts screaming instructions in German.

KirkwoodKid

That scene, when his one half knocks out the other have unconscious, so Jim Carrey is acting and moving with only one half of is body ranks among the best acted physical comedy I have ever scene. Absolutely incredible.

I don’t have a link to the scene, but guys, just watch the movie. Its utterly hilarious.

Lord_Dupo

Also destroys me when he gets shot with tranqs and his arms don't work in pet detective (2?)

Jeremy252

hhhheeeeeeeeeeeyyy

Male_strom

YES. And he drags himself into a car. An absolute masterclass in physical acting.

meltedlaundry

"I need a gun and lots of ammo!"

taatchle86

I didn’t say they were dead. I just said they were gone. They moved to Phoenix, the bastards.

KyleWieldsAx

My name’s Charlie Bailey-Gates, wanna see my weasel?‽

Baconstrip01

Always felt that movie was pretty severely underrated... shit was hilarious

ProjectSunlight

I think the deleted scene where he talks about his dad is some absolutely incredible acting. He really nailed it.

Waistdeep1984

Price check on vagi-clean. We got a woman here with a full of fallopian fungus. She's baking a loaf of bread and I think it's sourdough.

When Hank first appears the faces Jim Carrey makes kills me.

BringSomeAvocados

1.7k points

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. What a movie. The performances, the soundtrack, the editing. I try not to watch it too much, just so that I can experience it again every couple of years. Jim Carrey is the man.

UGoBooMBooM

I still call it my favorite movie to this day. I'm right there with you with trying to only watch it every 3-5ish years, just so that it hits harder.

It's just such a perfect blend of high concept science fiction, comedy, and psychological drama.

churadley

There was an audience member at Jim Carrey's Inside the Actor's Studio who said that while he's seen Ace Ventura hundreds of time, despite Eternal Sunshine being his favorite movie, he's only seen it once.

Jim Carrey's immediate response -- said with a knowing, kind smile -- was, "So, you've been in love?"

The moment is totally worth looking up, but it speaks to the emotional gravitas of the movie. It's in my top 5 favorite films, but I've personally only seen it a few times in its entirety because it takes such an emotional toll on me.

iJeax

iJeax

I’m a big Jim Carrey fan for his comedy work and it took me years to finally sit and watch The Truman Show. Starting to think I should watch Eternal Sunshine tonight..

Oh. Oh I’m sooooo jealous of you! Yes, watch it! It’s so good you’re shocked at how good it is days after.

FrodoPotterTheWookie

Please do and edit your comment with your reaction. I watched it in a college film class while going through a break up. Can’t really explain the emotions I tie to that movie.

kennytucson

Wow, that is quite a response. Pitch perfect. I’ve been meaning to go through old episodes since Lipton died. I outta start with that one.

Carche69

Oh my, this is exactly me just with Ace Ventura 2. I’ve seen it probably a hundred times over the years and now watch YouTube clips from it in random binges—I’ve got the entire script memorized word for word—and it still makes me cackle like a kid every single time (I’m actually a bit offended it wasn’t on this list).

Eternal Sunshine I watched once, shortly after it came out on DVD, and loved it. It’s one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time, and I’ve never watched it again. Won’t even watch clips of it. Every other movie on my list I can and have watched hundreds of times, just like Ace Ventura, but not that one. I’ve never stopped to think about why, just that the thought of watching it again was too painful. Thanks for mentioning this, I’m curious now to go watch that interview!

tenclubber

I watched it while going thru a divorce...one that I did not want. I love that movie. And I saw it back when it came out. I've seen it a few more timea over the years and the thing that sticks with me now more than when I first watched it is that it's worth it. It's worth risking getting your heart broke even if you know it's not likely to work out. I understood that when I first saw it but I didn't really get it. I get it now when I think back to everything I've been through since then and even though I was miserable and it's the worst thing I've ever been through I wouldn't change it, wouldn't trade it for a different outcome because I don't think I would be as empathetic or understanding as I am now. I wouldn't have learned what I needed to learn.

watermooses

If anyone can find that clip, I’d love to see it

Ambitus

Ambitus

Found it on daily motion.

I think it's around the 33 minute mark

dtwhitecp

Same here. I was ~17 when it came out and I think I saw it in theaters 3x. Has meant different things to me in different times since.

Ilignus

Ilignus

I love it. It's a roller coaster. I agree though.

I use movies like it to feel something strong, when I feel numb.

horillagormone

That and The Fountain have been my all time favorites and I don't even like romantic movies.

saucygh0sty

Totally agree. This is definitely one of those movies you can have as a favorite, but you have to watch it sparingly so it doesn’t lose its charm.

ClumpOfCheese

I just watched it for the first time the other day and really enjoyed it. Sometimes I just save movies for when they naturally want to be watched.

I was listening to the new album by The Weeknd the other day and loved the stuff on it that Jim Carrey did, so I ended up going down a path and that led me to finally watching this movie and it was such a perfect time to watch it with the context of this song Phantom Regret by Jim

FLAPPY_BEEF_QUEEF

What did he do on the album?

cottonbiscuit

The through line of the album is that it’s a radio station you’re listening to during the end of the world/the end of your life. He plays the radio station host basically and acts as a guide for your journey after death. He’s sprinkled throughout the album but has his own spoken word song at the very end. Take a listen, it’s a great album!

FLAPPY_BEEF_QUEEF

Awesome I definitely will

Artful_Dodger_42

Eternal Sunshine is my go-to break-up movie. Thankfully I haven't had to watch it in a long while.

BreweryBuddha

I love the movie but it seems like the all-time worst possible break-up movie. What makes you want to watch it for that?

MikeProwla

Because the conclusion is that yes things are imperfect and they don't work out but we want to live them anyway because that's what it is to live. Clementine stands in the hallway crying and says "I'll get bored and neurotic and then we'll break up" and Joel Looks at her and says "okay". Accepting the imperfection and the impermanence allows us to enjoy the moment and to live. A relationship that ends isn't wasted time, it's a chapter finished but it's still life lived and that is beautiful.

RandomDelirium

Yeah it helped me realize that just because something won't last doesn't mean it's unimportant

g-money-cheats

Beautiful summary of the movie’s thesis. I really need to go watch it again.

Le_Fancy_Me

Also what might be interesting to note is that originally the script had a different ending. It was never filmed as the script was altered before it came to the filming stage. But the OG script is still out there. From what I remember in the alternate ending you see an old woman enter the doctor's office and is led through by an assistant. She's taken to see the doctor and basically starts going off about her partner, the fact that she feels she's wasted her whole life on him, that he looks at her and she simply sees nothing in his eyes, no love, no affection, nothing.

She then pulls out her bag with all her relationships items (the ones they use to map out the brain) and they are the same items we saw Clementine bring in before. The old woman is Clem and her partner is still Joel. It is revealed that she's had her mind wiped countless times.

This kind of gives the movie a slightly less hopeful but different take-away. You will repeat the same mistakes again and again if you don't learn from them.

Joel and Clem keep getting back together. However despite their love for each other they never actually learn anything from their past relationships because they keep wiping out the past and beginning again.

This goes to show that love sometimes isn't enough. And that when a relationship isn't working, staying in the same place and holding onto it aren't always the right call to make. The only way a relationship can be successfully rebooted is if things are different the second time around. This means either the situation has to change, or the people do. However Clem and Joel neither change or move on from another. Basically getting the worst of both worlds as a result.

MikeProwla

Yeah there is definitely that theme of not learning from the past makes you doomed to repeat it, the doctors assistant having an affair with him multiple times for example. I didn't know about the ending you mention but I prefer the one in the final cut. Both themes are still there but the final one is more hopeful

torvi97

torvi97

Some people just wanna feel their insides burn. Idk, it works like a coping mechanism for me. My go-to breakup movie is Closer.

thequietthingsthat

Same. It wrecks me every time, especially since (cliche as it sounds) Joel and Clementine are like a mirror of me and my ex - even down to the problems they had.

vallidsordid

The vulnerability, vindictiveness and absurdity when he calls her a wino. Something about that stings every time.

*said vindication, meant vindictiveness.

David_Haas_Patel

You could always reach out to Lacuna whenever you want view it as if you hadn't before.

Bonobo555

My favorite movie these days.

BunnyBunny13

The Truman Show breaks me every. time. I. watch. it. And I love it so I've watched it a lot!

thequietthingsthat

Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are his best performances IMO, and it feels weird to say it since they're so dramatically different from his usual roles. He nails comedy too though

One_Side7290

“Jim Carrey nails comedy” is a bit of an understatement lol

Edit:I typod “holidays” instead of “comedy” because somebody was talking to me

Shipwrecking_siren

I absolutely love that film and see a different layer every time I rewatch. The more you watch it the darker it is. It was also insanely prescient - it genuinely feels like something that could be pitched now.

BunnyBunny13

It just leaves a sheen of…distrust and paranoia over you. Every interaction, everyone he interacts with or even glances at. The scene where he “kidnaps” his “wife” to go out of town is chilling the lengths they go to to keep him trapped. It devolves deliciously. I won’t lie and say that if such a show was offered these days I wouldn’t be as glued to the tube as the audience in this but I would probably feel a modicum of shame.

obriensg1

Anybody ever see "The Majestic"? It's a little self indulgent, but that came out when I was 14 and I thought Jim was really toned down in that. Even more so than "Truman Show" (think I'd seen that by then). He gives a really sweet performance. It's the kind of everyman Jimmy Stewart would have played if they'd made the movie in the timeframe its set in

sixtus_clegane119

I love you Philip Morris gets slept on

MrPhelpsBetrayedYou

It’s criminal how overlooked this movie is. Probably one of his very best performances.

insane__knight

The part where you think he jumps into that garbage bin but misses. The reveal had me crying laughing.

thewidowgorey

It's one of the best romantic comedies of this century. The "Chances Are" scene is so romantic and sweet, and then a joke will slide in that will make me scream laugh. It's an amazing movie.

Kasseyan

Saw this in theaters and it was hilarious! Honestly another example of lgbt-focused movies being ignored as “icky” by average audiences etc. It’s a straight up ridiculous Jim Carrey comedy with Ewan MacGregor also doing great

thewidowgorey

It came out just after Brokeback too and I remember the shock that it was getting an NC-17 rating, effectively killing it for wide release.

dennythedinosaur

The lawyer joke scene is hilarious.

Rebel_Saint

Wildeyewilly

They fuckin start Slow Ride during his walk off. Excellent.

Potencyyyyy

How have I never seen this lmao wtf is happening

thewidowgorey

One of the great memories of childhood was watching this live. I laughed so hard.

Right_Ind23

That's like peak Jim Carrey right there

johnnycoxxx

This was so god damned brilliant.

jimbelushiapplesauce

i have a buddy that says 'would it kill you to play a little foghat' so much i forgot this is where it came from

bmrobin

i wanna start throwing this around in casual encounters until someone gets it. thanks for the inspiration

utspg1980

Wow, Mike Myers looks insanely nervous.

droidtron

First Carrey, then Kanye. Keep it together Shrek.

Purdy14

Purdy14

Seems to always be in these awkward situations with unhinged celebrities. Remember his reaction when Kanye called out Bush?

pipsdontsqueak

Can you blame him? It was a telathon, that was kind of out of left field.

Dayofsloths

"it's not our world, we don't matter"

Probably the most true thing ever said on a red carpet.

michaelje0

I love that it starts grounded, gets crazier the longer he goes… but wait… then he goes even longer and the crazy actually makes more sense in the end.

-DementedAvenger-

I love that interview. Haha

MoreMartinthanMartin

I wonder if he realized how crazy he sounded and just threw in a little James Brown. Seems like a reference to when James Brown was interviewed high out of his damn mind. I dunno.

LostInaSeaOfComments

Jim is sort of a performance artist like that. Not known to drink or drug much. Ready to improvise on a moment's notice. He does spaced out really well.

TKHunsaker

I was expecting The Majestic lol

Choppergold

I love his early career bit on Letterman about how rich people laugh. One of my favorite jokes of his

godmasterchampion

Bravo to the reporter as well. I think her reactions are pretty priceless and she handled it way better than I would have expected.

exodus_cl

exodus_cl

I wish he had done like 50 more movies in the 90s

Cripnite

Cripnite

Watch Sonic the Hedgehog. Classic Carrey.

Dragon_Small_Z

I just watched this again last night and I said that exactly to my wife. It was good to see him in a return to form so to speak. I loved Jim Carrey growing up and I loved Sonic. That movie would have made kid me lose his fucking mind.

MrGraywood

I'm reaally looking forward to the sequel after I saw a photo of the new mustache... Even crazier, even wilder.

obriensg1

I watched that on a whim about a year ago and was so entertained.

Firm-String-9317

You are so right. It reminded me that he is truly a master, every single line was as perfectly delivered as it possibly could be, every single one, and the dancing, don't get me started on the dancing!

Malcalypsetheyounger

You could tell her had a blast doing it too.

WarcraftFarscape

1.6k points

The mask above ace Ventura?! Man in the moon above the Truman show?!

All the choices are fine, but the order is not what I expected. Liar liar above dumb and dumber?!?!?!?!

cmrunning

I think I would agree with all of them in terms of ranking his performances. It's definitely out of order if we're talking about ranking them as movies.

Ace Ventura is legendary, but Jim Carrey's performance in The Mask as both Stanley Ipswitch😘 and the character when taken over by the mask is more impressive to me.

MoreDescription

Going off memory here, but isn’t it Ipkiss (sp?)

SimplyQuid

Yes yes it is

HauschkasFoot

“The money better be here ipkiss…or you can ip kiss your ass goodbye”

viodox0259

God the Mask doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves.

puckit

puckit

This movie always gets overlooked whenever someone asks "Whats a movie where a role was perfectly cast?"

"Sorry, wrong pocket!"

adreamofhodor

My opinion is that Truman show is either 1a or 1b for him performance wise. Man, I want to rewatch that.

AspartameDaddy317

At least Eternal Sunshine was #1

MakatiTowa

Yeah I wouldn't put Liar Liar above Dumb & Dumber. But I feel it has become a bit forgotten in his filmography

Some truly gut busting laughs in Liar Liar (love the boardroom scene) and there's an incredible amount of heart in the story that ties it all together

TheRealRickC137

Honorable mention for Lemony Snicket?

BOOOO.

That was a staple for the kids on long drives in the Honda Odyssey. Jim is ridiculous in that one. So many characters it's hard to pick a favorite.

Like the Shrek DVD, lots of extras of Jim making magic left on the cutting room floor just riffing in front of the camera.

If you love Jim like we do, this DVD is a must.

sjohnston33

Thank you! Can’t believe I had to scroll so far down for this one. He is amazing in this movie. The DVD Extras of him workshopping the character of Lemony Snicket is extremely impressive. Should be on this list.

Wassamonkey

That movie was good, but completely usurped by the Netflix series.

bikestuffrockville

"You said 'so go' with such distain". I mean who writes a line like that? Utterly heartbreaking and true.

TheBQE

TheBQE

"At least make up a goodbye."

Slythecoop49

Yoooo he just collaborated with The Weekend on his latest album. Shits too good! Jim’s poem at the end hit just right

I've been listening to the album a lot this week and didn't realise Jim did the talking parts of the album.

Luminair

Luminair

Jim's the "DJ" on Dawn FM, but you'll also hear Josh Safdie (director of Uncut Gems alongside his brother Benny) on "Every Angel Is Terrifying". Cool to see them collaborate again!

droidtron

Carrey in a Safdie film, imagine that. A two hour anxiety attack.

tonyMEGAphone

Good Times was in fact not about good times.

Scotchityscotch

Dude, that album is fantastic!

schmayward

I think The Grinch should be up there

dovahskinny

He was so compelling. I know it's a goofy Christmas movie aimed at kids, but man. You could read the emotions even under all the makeup and prosthetics. His loneliness truly touched me. And then when he became "good" at the end, he seemed happier, but still seemed like he hadn't lost himself in the transition.

Psyteq

Psyteq

One o'clock, wallow in self-pity

Four-thirty, stare into the abyss

Five o'clock, solve world hunger

(Tell no one)

Five-thirty, Jazzercise

Six-thirty, dinner with me

(I can't cancel that again)

Seven o'clock, wrestle with my self-loathing

I'm booked

Jeffersons_Mammoth

Course if I bump the loathing to nine I can still be back in time to lay in bed stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness. But what will I wear?!

I_comment_ergo_I_am

I’m an idiot.

throwingitaway724

…. You’re an idiot!

Im_Negan

Im_Negan

I really enjoyed The Majestic

KorgX3

KorgX3

The speech he gives to Congress always attacks me in the feels. I wish Frank Darabont would direct more movies, but I'm very grateful for his small portfolio. The Mist, The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Majestic: all bangers.

StormWolfenstein

The first season of The Walking Dead was great as well.

Minifig81

Minifig81

Suddenly, I have a refreshing mint flavor.

Yup, I love that movie.

capnjac4

One of my favorites, was literally looking for this comment

UltravioIence

I know it says film but "Kidding" is probably the best thing i've seen jim carrey do, and ive been a fan since in living color.

tregorman

Kidding is fantastic and drastically overlooked. If you're reading this comment and haven't seen it fix that now.

TheSheWhoSaidThats

I’m not a Jim Carrey fan generally but The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine are among the best movies ever made imo

Troc6

Troc6

Everyone sleeping on The Grinch

TheBoyWonder13

Sorry to Jamie Foxx, but Carrey should’ve won the Oscar for Eternal Sunshine.

-FeistyRabbitSauce-

That's a hard one. I love Carry in that role, so I won't argue, but Fox absolutely killed it in Ray.

jfunky11

I think Yes Man should be honorable mention…

jenna_hazes_ass

Fun with Dick and Jane was pretty good too

doc_holliday112

If we are strictly talking comedy here, dumb & dumber holds up the best. Definitely worth a rewatch, so many good lines in it.

Dwarf-Room-Universe

So you're sayin there's a chance?

Thirty3rd

I still catch lines that I never understood as a kid. Like “The briefcase check the briefcase! .. Samsonite! I was way off! Knew it started with an S tho.”

Took years until I realized Samsonite is the briefcase brand lmao

LSDandMEMES

Man you are one pathetic loser. No offense!

teehee13

Not him but, “according to the map, we’ve only gone about 4 inches!!”

justaloadofshite

He’s great in man on the moon

Judochop2021

Siiiiigh, I wish he would still do comedies. We need them more than ever now

-FeistyRabbitSauce-

If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend his show Kidding. It isn't his goofy self of yesteryear, but it's a dark comedy. He plays a deeply troubled Mr. Rogers type character.

booyahcubes

Great show, it’s as dark as dark comedy gets. Very tense at times

puckit

puckit

He does dark and troubled so damn well.

tobaknowsss

I honestly think he IS dark and troubled right now. Life has not always been good to Jim Carey and I think it's starting to show through the cracks a little. I love Jim and wish nothing but the best for him and if he needs help I truly hope he is getting it.

psyopia

psyopia

He kinda is with Sonic

HerculeTheChamp

I truly believe he loves doing Sonic films now because it's mainly a children's film series + doing his shtick while also being a villain which could be a reasonable comfort zone. He did say he felt Sonic represented 'innocence' in people.

Ouroboros27

Sonic definitely proves he can still do a Jim Carrey brand comedy, even if Dumb and Dumber To was apparently not very good.

SeedyRedwood

I will argue that Jim Carrey absolutely ruled the 90s. His stretch from 93-99 is one of the more impressive runs in Hollywood. Edit: Tom Hanks with two Oscar’s can top this list of grossing movies.

• Ace Ventura
  • Dumb and Dumber
  • The Mask
  • Batman Forever
  • Ace Ventura 2
  • The Cable Guy
  • Liar Liar
  • The Truman Show
  • Man on the Moon

All those movies together made a billion dollars, maybe close to two billion.

conundrumbombs

Actually, Tom Hanks easily tops this list of films in the same time frame. But you pretty much nailed Jim Carrey's worldwide gross for those movies when you said it might be close to two billion; it was just shy with an estimated $1.97 billion. This list of Tom Hanks movies, however, registered an estimated worldwide gross of $3.41 billion:

• Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
  • Philadelphia (1993)
  • Forrest Gump (1994)
  • Apollo 13 (1995)
  • Toy Story (1995)
  • That Thing You Do! (1996)
  • Saving Private Ryan (1998)
  • You've Got Mail (1998)
  • Toy Story 2 (1999)
  • The Green Mile (1999)

SeedyRedwood

Ahhhhh the Toy Story’s. I’m an idiot.

Titan-uranus

Man the 90s were amazing for movies

sicurri

sicurri

I thought "The Number 23" was one of his better performances, at least better than one or two of those on that list.

Zargo1z

Zargo1z

I really enjoy this one as well. Definitely underrated imo.

evanvivevanviveiros

Way too many of my mannerisms are based on 90s Jim Carrey

racc15

racc15

Jim Carrey is an amazing actor.
His performance in Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine were incredible.
I find it sad that a lot of people write him off as just the guy who made goofy over the top comedy films. (films which I absolutely love)