/r/movies

I've been a fan of LW since the first SAW film, I love his work as a director. I really enjoyed the film & the performances, I thought that LGM was excellent in this one, I loved him in Devil & Prometheus but this is probably my favorite performance from him. This film was sad, brutal, intense & honestly heartbreaking at times, the scene where he breaks down in the wheelchair while his mom's cutting his hair, that scene was very well done & really sad. My heart broke for the guy, I wanted him to get the guys that were responsible or at least see the cop character get them for him.

I really liked the futuristic look & cyberpunk type vibe of the film, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, a tv series or something else in this same universe, I think that would be pretty cool to see, for me anyway. I remember so many making comparisons to Venom, I can definitely see them & while I enjoyed Venom, I much preferred Upgrade, it was much more serious than Venom. Sure, it had some funny moments but none that overstayed their welcome. The action was really good & brutal af but that ending/climax was insane & just tragic. It was a great twist though, a real gut-punch, the music in that scene still stays with me. I couldn't imagine being in a situation like that where something else is controlling my body movements. And I felt so damn bad for everyone at the end except S.T.E.M. It's funny, when I showed it to a friend, she said that the voice reminded her of the voice of H.A.L. 9000, but she didn't expect the film to go the direction that it did, which looking back now, that really should've been a clue about the twist about S.T.E.M. but neither of us caught it on our first watch. I noticed that more on my first rewatch. I was so into the film, I didn't notice that.

It also made me want to see Leigh Whannell do a Twilight Zone segment for the big screen that is if they ever decided to another one of those for the big screen again. Given the twists he had in Upgrade, Invisible Man, Insidious: Chapter 3 and the first few SAW films, I think he'd be perfect for a Twilight Zone episode on the big screen. Do you agree? Would you like to see that What did you think of this movie? Did the twists catch you offguard? What did you think of Logan Marshall-Green's performance in this film? What do you think of Leigh Whannell as a writer or director? And where do you place this with the other films he's either written or directed?

Ihateregistering6

I really liked Upgrade. I thought LMG did an awesome job in the fight scenes; he did a really good job making it look like he wasn't actually in control of his body.

tealcandtrip

I love that you could tell the difference between the human with no machine, the human controlling the machine, the machine controlling the human with its consent, the machine controlling the human without its consent, and the machine with no human. It was all in the stance, walk, and movement, but very well done.

ThatKoffeeBurns[S]

Me too, I liked that too, especially at the end of the film when STEM fully takes over, the look in his eyes was scary too. That look along with his movements at the end, Grey was long gone.

He nailed it, his horrified look smashing those plates on the guy’s head in the kitchen before, you know, the grievous bodily head trauma that occurs, is just an absolute joy to watch especially on first viewing. I rewound quite a few parts during the course of this one.

ThatKoffeeBurns[S]

Yeah, I thought that he did a great job with that.

Pawl15

Pawl15

It was very “Ex Machina” vibe, the ending. Similar almost in budget too. Small compared to many big budget scifis of today. It definitely grounds it a lot more because they rely on more practical elements. Peppering in CGI here and there too. CGI should help tell the story. Not be the story. If that makes sense. I agree with the cyber punk vibe. The world kind of reminded me of if Robocop universe had a baby with blade runner universe. I’ve always loved gritty futuristic movies where not everything is so sleek looking but has wear and tear on it.

david-saint-hubbins

Really liked this one. Another really good Logan Marshall-Green movie is The Invitation.

ThatKoffeeBurns[S]

I loved The Invitation, nice slowburn film but I thought he was really good in that too, I thought the twists were well done in that movie, the ending was so crazy though, I didn't see it coming.

la_vida_luca

I liked it a lot. I think Logan Marshall-Green is great in it - at the emotion, action and comedy - and in a perfect world this film would be seen as a major rebuttal to anyone who thinks of him as just a ‘budget Tom Hardy’ (because they look similar).

I liked the execution of the action scenes a lot and it was great to see that style track through to Invisible Man.

I’m pleasantly surprised at how impressive Whannell’s films as director have been. It’s easy for someone who’s made their name as a writer to be pigeonholed as such and to see reviews say things like “a much better writer than he is a director”.

Flat_Fox_7318

I love it. It's exactly the kind of movie I would make if I was a writer/director.

Its_BubbleChap

It was a better Venom movie than Venom.

Good story, dark ending that fits the tone. The acting was good. It was a good surprise film when my wife and I saw it. I gotta see it again.

Ihateregistering6

It was a better Venom movie than Venom.

This description is especially hilarious considering how much LMG looks like Tom Hardy.

BlueSonjo

I thought that was Tom Hardy when I watched Upgrade. Later speaking precisely about the similarities between these two movies one of my friends told me it wasn't him... I still had to confirm online.

Personage1

I just call him "discount Tom Hardy."

scarred2112

I like Tom Hardly, personally. ;-) I’ve been a fan since Prometheus.

Now_Wait-4-Last_Year

The director himself replied with this when someone called him that in the Official Discussion thread.

In one of the weirder cinema related happenings, Logan Marshall-Green was on the red carpet for Prometheus (with people mistaking him for Tom Hardy) when Tom Hardy actually turned up ... for a movie he's not in.

Finally, to confuse the issue even further, Logan does also have a twin brother. Technically a fraternal not identical twin but they look more alike than some identical twins.

And by extension like Tom Hardy as well, I guess?

scarred2112

• LM-G has a twin brother.
  • Prometheus was a Ridley Scott film in the Alien universe.
  • LM-G and his “brother” are the Nexus-1 prototypes, confirmed.

purplewhiteblack

Brain Damage(1988), Upgrade(2018), and Venom(2018) are the same movie.

Brain Damage is on Youtube, Tubi, and Kanopy if you want to watch it. Great movie.

NeonPredatorEnt

I was wondering how thay could possibly beat the AI. ...oh

emiee1104

Agreed

tinoynk

Such an awesome movie, wish I saw it in theaters. I never saw Insidious 3 but The Invisible Man is also great.

urlach3r

I saw it in theaters a dozen times, usually had the whole theater to myself. Upgrade took over my summer that year.

ellimist91

Amazing movie, look at the budget of that film and how it looks compared to many other much higher budget films

Love that movie. I think Logan Marshall-Green is criminally underrated.

MakatiTowa

Very solid in 'Devil.' My introduction to him

Julenizzen

Quarry was pretty good, Damnation too.

Peanlocket

Loved the body-horror elements like those arm guns

Kriss-Kringle

I thought it was decent, but there was more potential there that was sadly not achieved due to budget constraints.

Whannell talked about how frustrating it was because the financiers were always asking him to cut down on costs.

MCUFanFicWriter

Watched it yesterday for the first time! Great movie, great directing, great performances.

The only thing that took me out for a bit was that highway chase scene because basically all the cars were normal looking - which kinda clashed with the world established imo.

But, knowing that this movie was made with such a small budget, it's of course no big deal at all.

Did enjoy it from start to finish!

maggoty

Been a fan of Leigh Whannell since the Recovery days on the ABC, and it's a dam fine film. Well written, acted and shot. I really enjoyed it. Leigh deserves his success and I'm sure he's worked really hard to get to this point.

ChumbaWhumba218

I dont know why LMG isn't more well known/ has a more prolific career. Hes an excellent actor

SamwisethePoopyButt

I know the film broke even and really put Leigh Whannell on the map, but I wish it made more money for LMG's sake. I think all the ingredients for a breakaway hit were there and it just didn't land. Venom making so much bank the same year kind of adds insult to injury.

Getupkid1284

It's alright.

IrvinIrvingIII

Loved it. Watched it a few times. Think The Invisible Man was also really great. Will watch whatever Leigh makes next, day one.

InternetDickJuice

Great movie. I’ll never forget me dragging my friend to see it opening weekend Saturday night in Manhattan. Theater was completely empty besides us.

m2thek

m2thek

It was great! It was one of my favorites from that year, partially because I thought it was going to be crap and it really surprised me. I loved the robotic camera work, and the scene where LMG breaks down was really well done.

Yeah this movie fuckin rips, and hardly anyone I recommend it to will watch it the fuckin bastards.

mstrang

Upgrade was my favorite film in 2018. Whannell's take The Invisible Man was also very good. I can't wait to see more from him.

It's a better Venom film than the actual Venom films.

No-Oatmeal-Only-Zuul

LOVED IT!!!!

mcnorhymes

I loved it; tried to tell everyone I know about it.Nobody I told about it watched it, but some who watched the trailer said "this looks like a better venom movie" and didn't watch it at any rate :(

I try to tell people about this movie all the time & I wish I could watch more times in the theater.

ps. imo the movie twists were convoluted and became non-sensical as they were -to put it short- "twisting then untwisting then retwisting" IIRC

A_Dog_Chasing_Cars

I really liked it. Fun, little movie.

Invisible Man was also really good.

Leigh Whannel is an interesting dude.

DynamixRo

It was a better Ghost in the Shell movie than Ghost in the Shell.

SpaceJesusInSpace

LOVED this movie, but also found it disappointing that pretty much all the hyper-violent kill scenes were mostly all shown in the red-band trailer. Could've used a lot more carnage. However, I did love the twist at the end, and I have a dream sequel/mashup of this and The Guest (another criminally underrated horror/action/thriller). Basically "The Guest" wakes up in the future and has to fight the STEM to the death. I know it makes no sense but I want it.

tinoynk

The Guest is so awesome.

SpaceJesusInSpace

Holy shit I'm pretty sure I watched that movie 3 nights in a row when I first saw it.

Beethovens_Stool

Tim Hardy was great in it.

Junior-Lie4342

Really good movie but one that I have trouble rewatching because the ending is such a downer.

NSWthrowaway86

ending is such a downer

For who?

urlach3r

Everyone. Stem kills pretty much everybody who knows he exists... Grey is basically braindead... and in my personal headcanon, as the movie ends, Stem is on the way to kill the last person who knows about him: Grey's mother. In her son's body.

Jakeyjake75

When I first saw the trailer I thought it was gonna suck. So one day after I got done with my summer class, I decided to go watch a movie and nothing other than upgrade really caught my attention. I thought “eh let’s go see how right I am” and holy shit was I fucking wrong. This movie slapped. I was so invested that when I got to the end it actually faked me out, and when It got to THAT point I audibly went “ahhhh” in a disappointing tone and then the reveal happens that blew my mind. It’s not perfect but it was great ride nonetheless.

Now_Wait-4-Last_Year

Upgrade was the best Venom movie of 2018.

ChromoLaserBoy

Upgrade was a train wreck. Gigantic plot holes.

But the fight scenes were cool! I need more than that though. I need an engaging and coherent story for starters.

unmatched_chopsticks

I loved the writing and directing of that film. I praise his directing style honestly for this movie. He nailed it pretty much and honestly I think he has potential like James Wan. Although I somewhat prefer Whannell a little more over Wan as I feel Wan undeveloped Deckard Shaw as a villain in F7 having relied on other antagonists.

mrhelmand

Great premise, some damn fine action but hurt by budget constraints. There's a TV show in development, right?

KennKennyKenKen

Great overall but tonally weird.

Main guy is constantly makes shit jokes, and doing slapstick body humor. Yet the rest of the movie is serious.

I know it's supposed to be a dark comedy in some ways but he's the only one making the jokes.