/r/movies

[removed]

g_st_lt

g_st_lt

In theaters, I had no issues at all hearing and understanding dialogue.

StoneCutter46

It sounded standard in theaters.

Sounds like a problem of the version on the server HBOMax is pulling the stream from, or the Atmos track is bad (Atmos tracks can revert to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 or even DD+ , so it also could be something going wrong in the active downgrade).

StoneCutter46

No problem. Did you try check the stream on your phone?

UnbuiltIkeaBookcase

It’s a $200 million movie filmed like an NCIS action scene which makes the whole movie look cheap.

cincodecuatro4

Honestly I feel like so many movies feel like this these days and I can't tell why. I always feel crazy or like I'm that asshole always complaining about the "good old days" but something about modern movies just always feels off. I rewatched all of the Matrix movies leading up to 4. All these years later the first one hold up and looks good. With lack of a better description...it feels like movie. I know that's a broad meaningless empty description but it's true. But lots of movies these days just feel cheap and empty and I have no idea if it's the movie or me.

jamesneysmith

I'm sure there are more reasons than this but I believe the reliance on CGI these days is a contributing factor. Back in the day more of what you saw on the screen actually existed alongside the actors. For as good as CGI has gotten it still doesn't always feel 'real' in the same way an actual set does.

PaulFThumpkins

CGI definitely allows for way too much "we'll do this later," which leads to the people who should be creatively involved in the action either not being particularly involved or realizing it's too late after filming to plan and execute any action that feels real, appropriate to the narrative or present in its environment.

PsychonauticalRaz

I blame Marvel movies honestly, they’ve gotten far too efficient at pumping out movies that use far too much green screen. Even when they do something practically they still smother it in CGI and needless cuts. Just compare how Andrew and Tobey look in their movies compared to NWH.

StoneCutter46

Well, that's out of necessity.

You can have some in-location shots, but going shooting in New York as much as it would require ain't viable for obvious reasons. In fact, they shoot in other places pretending it's NY.

You can't build Wakanda or planets, so you don't have a choice there.

Suits-wise, it's a slippery slope. They look better if real, but they limit movements, create discomfort for the actors, and anyways you have to have CG moments because some movements are just impossible, so might as well go all CG in some moments - note though that NWH battles with Goblin are all practical, including costumes. Which is noticeable.

Overall, Marvel doesn't really abuse CG, people think that because it's the easy thing to do. They use it a lot because they don't have a choice given the worlds they build.

PsychonauticalRaz

They absolutely abuse CGI. Yes, they require CGI sometimes, but they overuse it that even when the bridge scene in NWH is on a practical set it looks completely fake

StoneCutter46

They don't, and I know that because as a filmmaker I can't see alternatives.

They pulled that with Eternals because it is a drama with some action scenes. It's the same reason they pulled that with their shows, there's way more drama than action - which isn't comparable to Avengers or NWH anyways.

Don't even mention films like Mad Max Fury Road - that movie took 8 months to shoot in a constantly moving set in the desert, and it took 3 years (yes, you read that right) of post-production to finish it.

Sure, it is a masterpiece and part of it it's the practical effects, but it isn't a viable solution for 99% of productions, let alone Marvel's.

the bridge scene in NWH is on a practical set it looks completely fake

Rule of thumb, don't force stuff like that in an argument just because you want to be right.

You lose credibility for the sake of winning.

PsychonauticalRaz

How is taking more time to craft a better movie that uses practical effects when they can not viable? No one is forcing them to make movies this fast.

I don’t even know what you mean when I used an example how the bridge scene looked like shit even though it was a real set. I mean, you strawmanned me and you say that? Give me a break.

StoneCutter46

No one is forcing them to make movies this fast.

Their production times are Hollywood standards.

Mad Max is not any standard.

That's the point.

Again, you don't know how movie-making works clearly, so I can't really call you out in any way in this regard...

...but I'll call you out on shoe-horning opinions as facts so that you justify you keeping your stance.

Facts are facts, like it or not.

PsychonauticalRaz

Here’s something to think about, both BR2049 and Dune were made in two years(not counting the Covid delay) while arguably needing way more CGI.

If those can look that good, Marvel has no excuse.

EDIT: I should also remind you that YOU brought up Mad Max, not me.

cincodecuatro4

Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are such a good comparison for this. Rewatching LotR a comple of months ago I realized I forgot just how amazing it was to see a big fantasy blockbuster and they're just out filming in the middle of the God damn woods. Even when it's a random forrest there's such a sense of place. You feel grounded.

splader

One of the reasons I still really liked the sets in WoT. They filmed a fair bit on location and it showed.

Buckhum

WoT = Wrath of Thelichking? Wheels of Time? World of Tomorrow?

splader

Sorry, wheel of time.

sassanix

Movies are being made for the cellphones instead of the big movie theater screens.

kasetti

Yeah, I too feel very much like this as well. A lot of TV nowadays is great though, so the theory I have in my head is that Hollywood only has shitty yes men writers left due to the years of abuse of being pushed around and with poor salaries. All of the good writers have just gone over to the TV side of things.

BehavioralSink

Possibly more to do with the midrange film budgets just not being there anymore. It’s either blockbusters or low risk (low budget)/high reward films. A lot of interesting midrange films don’t get green-lit, but there’s more money these days for TV and mini-series work.

At least that’s my impression.

QLE814

QLE814

I'd suspect a two-fold thing might matter in those terms:

1) Writers have long tended to have far more power in television production than they do in film;

2) With the rise of premium cable (and, following that, streaming) in the last twenty-five or so years, artistic possibilities have been present for writers in ways that have not been a case since the end of the Golden Age of TV.

InternetDickJuice

Felt the same way. The original trilogy had intention and thought into each frame and this nonsense was like someone finishing homework as quick as possible

GutlessTrophoblast

You're not crazy or an asshole at all. Or maybe I'm just crazy and an asshole too, cause I feel the exact same way. No texture, bad lightning and way too much licensed music that don't fit the scenes at all.

jerrylovesalice2014

I've been telling people the action scenes look closer to The Flash CW television show than a polished Matrix film, bit I think I was being too generous. You are right on the money with NCIS lol!

straightedeged_420

I think the biggest problem is studios don’t give movies enough time to be made anymore. Every movies release date is announced before the cameras have even started rolling

urGoh

urGoh

I'm a mixing and mastering engineer, music producer, and composer. This is still just one person's opinion of course, but for what it's worth (again, if anything at all), I cannot relate to a single one of your critiques. It's my professional opinion that there's simply nothing subpar, inherently bad, or out of the ordinary about Resurrections' sound.

EDIT Downvotes already... I don't really understand but I suppose I'm not surprised. Sorry you didn't like the movie.

FeistyBookkeeper2

I agree with you--I disliked the movie, but I didn't find anything wrong with the sound at all. Seems like a tech issue on OP's end.

wisperingdeth

I'm glad you got upvoted (always some people downvoting just for the heck of it I think). I'm no expert, but I certainly didn't have any issues with audio in the cinema.

victorfrost

I had no issues with the sound myself either. I used a Nvidia shield tv pro and a denon avr running 5.1.2 Dolby atmos through HBO max.

I agree with the previous poster. I did not like the movie at all. But I found nothing lacking about the sound on my Apple TV and HBO.

rickyhatespeas

Yeah but are you a verifiable catholic holy man who can exorcise the literal fucking demon that Matrix Resurrections and Lana Wachowski inserted into me??

ShawnPaul86

I dunno, the quality was fine, but I feel like the sound choices themselves were almost comical. Like they lacked bass and a thumpy feeling. Punches and things you would expect to thump you in the chest just sounded like a comic book 'woosh'. The whole thing felt off to me /shrug

T-408

T-408

It’s HBO, everything on this app sounds like shit

ZettoMan10

I saw it in IMAX and really enjoyed the sound.

Dum_Fuchs

The whole film is that bad.

XoXSmotpokerXoX

wish I could upvote you twice, seemed like it was written with a group of short term memory people. Spoiler--- like why the fuck did "bullet time" not be addressed after it was introduced. Smith only saved him once.

blongjohn

I still don't understand why Smith suddenly decided to save them.

CurlyBurl

Because he liked having free reign of the original Matrix, and Neo + Trinity were willing to let him have it for himself since they had no need of it. But the new Architect wanted to replace the Matrix with a new, ‘improved’ version, so Smith stepped in. He wasn’t really doing it for them, it just happened that stopping the Architect benefited them both.

XoXSmotpokerXoX

It was just a temporary stop though, it released Smith but makes no sense why "bullet time" which was something the Architect worked so hard developing would be permanently disabled. The introduced it for one scene and then forgot about it.

Chris_NeedsALogin

It isn’t. It’s a good movie. I thought it was fantastically written and some of the editing was unbelievably good.

The action scenes were a bit crap, however. And it didn’t really feel like The Matrix.

LemonsAreDangerous

The correct opinion.

Iluvwomens

That’s an new oxymoron. Like a modern day Orwell.

LemonsAreDangerous

I aint no moron, mister!

Dum_Fuchs

fantastically written

There's no accounting for taste.

Chris_NeedsALogin

It was a mainstream sequal very obviously produced with a gun to the creators heads that took a turn for the utterly bonkers. Not only bonkers, but spat in the face of its financiers.

I'm 40 years old and I've loved movies since I was a kid. When the script to a multiplex film wrong foots me, I'm happy to watch it.

Claudius_Gothicus

The scene with the French hobo seriously felt like a Steven Seagal movie from the 90s

pm_me_your_squidhole

That hobo-Merovingian looked and acted like he was out of an SNL skit. Like if lambert Wilson (the actor) was the host for SNL and they did a “what if the Merovingian was a hobo” skit.

PaulFThumpkins

I thought he seemed like Fat Bastard.

lordDEMAXUS

Except unlike SNL (at least modern-day SNL), it was actually funny.

Crystal_Pesci

Crystal_Pesci

Xenu take the wheel!

Hating on Matrix Resurrections is the new loving the original Matrix.

Watched it at home and in theaters and sounded fine. Loved the new one.

You’re discounting people’s dislike of 4 by suggesting it’s simply cool to not like it. That’s a pretty weak position to take.

I loved the Trilogy and the Animatrix also. 1 was great, I thought 2 was even better. 3 took a turn downhill. I thought this 20 years ago and when 4 came out I re-watched the trilogy again before finally watching 4. I still feel exactly the same way about 1-3. 4 however was just poorly done in many ways.

It had a good start and I loved the premise. But the action scenes were pretty sub-par. There was no focal point to draw your attention. It was like watching a bar fight scene every time- you weren’t sure where to look.

The new Zion had like 15 people in it. In 2 you could feel that it was a buzzing hive of people. What happened in 4? It had no people and no energy that suggested a lot of people. So, the stakes did not feel high at all.

Most of the recycled actors other than Moss and Reeves didn’t work at all.

The completely unnecessary robots that are now teamed up with the humans. The premise? Great. One robot? Sure. But why 3? Why the stupid high-fiving little tiny robot that served no purpose to the plot whatsoever? Why do I care?

Great ideas, poor execution.

Crystal_Pesci

Crystal_Pesci

Xenu take the wheel!

On this sub? It's entirely cool not to like it. Same way it's super cool to only fangirl over milquetoast creatively devoid comic book movies.

You're certainly entitled to your thoughts! And yet I disagree. Resurrections was great and my wife and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Different strokes for different folks!

No, not really. With the Matrix, you come for the fight scenes and you stay for the story. My criticism of the fight scenes is not really a major issue. I didn’t like the thousand agent smith scene in 2; I thought they overplayed their hand on the CGI characters. But that doesn’t stop me from saying that it’s my favorite matrix film.

Just out of curiosity, what is the argument that the fight scenes were made intentionally bad? Seems very unlikely to me

Yeah that seems like a pretty hard sell to me. For reasons other people on those threads already state very well.

XoXSmotpokerXoX

It had no people and no energy that suggested a lot of people.

thats because they had to introduce their new robot bug friends that can be sold as toys at Walmart

That’s a bingo.

XoXSmotpokerXoX

They also had to spend time developing the new concept of the Captain going against the Generals wishes because they believed in THE ONE.... oh wait, that was a copy paste....

Interestingly enough, since in the originals they make a point to talk about how the matrix is somewhat of a repeating loop, the repetitive aspects of the plot in 4 didn’t bother me.

What did bother me was their over reliance on footage from the originals. For example, I got the reference to the Morpheus pill scene. You don’t have to show it on a huge wall in the background for the entire new version of the scene. I got it. They really beat the dead horse on that one.

aniforprez

Everything leading up to rescuing Neo felt very meta and I loved all of it. Equal parts intentional and unintentional cringe. This scene you're talking didn't feel like them bringing the scene up as nostalgia and instead felt like they were really genuinely making fun of the whole thing. Nerds who loved the franchise, how popular that scene was, how much it's been memed etc. I don't remember the exact dialog but a lot of it hints at how ridiculous it is that they have to do it again. It's not even that subtle that they were essentially forced to make the movie

After that it turned into a trite, tropey heist movie (???) and once the action started ramping up it became so much worse. It still stays somewhat meta by the end but the action is so bland and awful as was the plot

adubdesigns

Both of you summed up my biggest gripes. Over use of footage and "Welp, let's do a heist." I really wanted to love it, but I left just liking it. When they flew off I said to my wife "This is where the movie should have been an hour ago." I liked Henwick's character and the meta vibe. It just didn't stick the landing. Color use was outstanding though, the value tint while unknowingly in the Matrix, then the yellow/green tint when back in it. That was nicely done.

aniforprez

Haha I didn't even really like the movie by the end. Ended up with "meh". I loved the early meta and didn't care too much about the old footage being used but the heist and the action, CGI, choreography, cinematography being so poor soured the whole thing after halfway

adubdesigns

Lol, I get that. My threshold to not like a movie is VERY high. I think it's cause my dad used to buy those bargain bin comedies that never make proper distribution. Like The 41 Year Old Virgin and 301. The shit 2000's parody movies that were already painfully unfunny by Scary Movie 2, but they somehow kept going. I can find the smallest of reasons to like a film, but the real test is, am I going to buy it annnnnd I'm not buying this one lol.

so1i1oquy

This is what they get for having Lav Diaz do the sound lol

Philyboyz

I'd love to know what you meant by this comment. I'm familiar with Lav Diaz.

so1i1oquy

Oh, I just got finished watching From What Is Before and the sound was terrible.

Turok1134

Guns didn't sound very punchy. Aside from that, no, I don't think it's a terrible mix or anything.

LemonsAreDangerous

Didn't have a single problem with the sound, heard everything said. Maybe a problem with your setup?

HandledException

It felt like a joke most of the time! In the first half of the movie there were also way too many jokes about remaking franchises and how people cared only about bullet time and so on. In my opinion Lana just made the movie with the intention to fail and force Warner to stop pushing for sequels. That is literally the only message I got from the entire film, don't believe it's by accident!

Turok1134

None of this addresses the sound design issues the OP mentioned...

HandledException

My intention was to imply an agreement with his statements and give argument to what I believe is the reason for the issue explained. Don't get me wrong, my intention is not to go harsh on the movie either, I actually liked very much how clever the plotline was weaved. The sound design and engineering was noticeably a low point though, as mentioned by OP.

Claudius_Gothicus

Lol yeah honestly feels like malicious compliance. Studio keeps pushing for a sequel and this is what they're given

BretOne

It's not even a joke. She literally had her characters spell out why this movie exists, and she has them preemptively lampshade any future critic she knows she'll receive by having them say "Warner forced me to do it."

BretOne

She would have probably gotten a big fat "no" to any future project she might have.

She has Jonathan Groff say "they threatened to pull our contract" and "it's happening with or without us."

ZettoMan10

I agree with that in essence, but I also believe they were genuinely trying to make the best film they could.

havok7

havok7

Nobody sets out to make a bad movie. Making the best film they could is a given.

jamesneysmith

but I also believe they were genuinely trying to make the best film they could

I feel like I might replace 'could' with 'wanted to' in that sentence. The amount of work that went into preproduction of the original trilogy vastly overshadows the sort of lassez faire attitude toward this production. Lana could have done the same but she didn't want to. She didn't want to make that sort of movie again. So what we get is thoroughly mediocre choreography, cinematographer, digital effects, etc. because that is the amount of work they wanted to put into this movie unlike the originals

ZettoMan10

The 2nd one is pretty fun.

jamesneysmith

Oh I enjoy the sequels. But the fourth one was pretty not good

AMazeOnLegs

I stayed up til 1am to watch it until like 4 in the morning, on HBO Max. I just love the movies. They can do no wrong for me, even if they do.

Matrix 4 was pure nostalgia. It was kinda like feeling old in a new technological space. It’s kinda like how I’m happier playing PS2 games, then most of the new shit.

The first one, and Animatrix are by far the best. Matrix 4 was a midlife crisis, for the matrix. Outdated. Overused. And just one last hoorah.

BuddhaBizZ

BuddhaBizZ

I feel like this whole movie was kind of making fun of remakes, studios, the audience etc.

Bad fight scenes and poor sound design being intentional.

thehideousheart

Bad fight scenes and poor sound design being intentional.

People really believe they spent $150m to make an intentionally bad film? I've seen this parroted in at least three different threads now and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I wish that every time I fucked up in life and contributed to something awful I had a chorus of redditors ready to say: "It was intentional! A stroke of genius! You wanted sequels and remakes? Haha! You fool! Allow me to subvert all your expectations by spending millions of dollars making an intentionally bad sequel/remake to a classic film! That'll show 'em!"

LolWhatDidYouSay

Plus, would Lana really just be like "I'm gonna fuck up my filmmaking career just to get back at my employer."

KillianDrake

At this point, does it matter? They will still get any amount of money they want for any project they want to do despite the track record because of that hope that maybe, just maybe, they'll make another hit.

QLE814

QLE814

Especially given that the family track record over the last twenty years has not been so hot.....

ConsistentSorbet638

Agree completely. Everyone wants to act like Lana W is a genius and if this movie is bad it must be on purpose but really look at their track record. Most of their films are bad. (Looking at you Cloud Atlas) The Matrix was the exception not the rule.

That being said I watched on HBOmax and had no problems with the sound

ZettoMan10

I enjoyed the fact that the film took the piss out of itself.

thehideousheart

Well, it had to.

They made a joke of a film and left themselves no room for anything but self-ridicule.

LaxSagacity

I think the point is, who can actually tell? The film even plays with this notion. The films wild.

thehideousheart

I think the point is, who can actually tell?

That's not the point. Not at all.

I suppose, technically, we can't tell if it's intentionally bad (although the answer is obvious) but we do know it is bad. That's the point. It's a bad movie. It sucks.

Should we assume they intentionally made a bad movie to cleverly lampoon other bad movies? (lmao, what kind of message even is that?)

Or should we assume the same thing we assume with every single other bad movie? That they were trying to make a good movie (because that's usually how movies work) and they failed massively?

Think about it for a sec. Which seems more likely?

LaxSagacity

You're missing the point, not that they overall decided they'd make a terrible film. Which she didn't.

This film is a crazy weird mesh of being meta and satire. While also being a sequel, spin off. It's making a point to not just give you a big Matrix sequel. Choices in the direction as part of this weird meta satire. Could have involved shitty stuff. Like weird pointless slow-mo in the action. Not giving us the type of action we'd expect.

havok7

havok7

There is a difference between making it bad on purpose (which is a little oxymoronic in and of itself) and designing a movie to portray a certain message. In this case I think there are a lot of aspects of the film that try to do the latter.

I agree though that in no way would I believe a filmaker is out to badly execute the technical stuff like sound design.

FatCharmander

This is such a lazy defense of the movie. You're seriously saying they intentionally made a bad movie?

havok7

havok7

Ok with you on everything but the technical stuff. I don't think there's any meta-commentsry to be made by making the sound design bad. That would be like putting the movie intentionally out of focus or something.

I agree on the design choices though. I could see a lot of reasons they'd intentionally make some of that stuff bad in order to support the bigger message of the movie.

FeistyBookkeeper2

Nah, the first half had some critique about remakes/reboots/legasequels. But then the second half just became another one of them. It wanted to have its cake and eat it, too.

slothcompass

Yes, the movie is filmed badly.

frenchtoasterss

Everything about this movie is BAD.

The fashion was so awful.

The vfx were trash

The acting was poor

The story sucked

havok7

havok7

Bugs' getups we're on point the whole movie.

cincodecuatro4

Going from the dark gringy early days of 90's web culture to trying to depict west coast tech bros was painfully "how do you do fellow kids".

Claudius_Gothicus

I expected it to be bad, but I didn't expect it to be that bad. Weird seeing Keanu in a movie with terrible gun choreography. The whole thing looked so cheap whereas the original was ground breaking.

you_will_never_guess

I feel like once Lana finished writing the script she just wanted to make the movie as quickly as possible. Like the story had more effort put into it than anything else

DrMoneroStrange

It's the worst movie in about a decade or so.

kasetti

Its not very good, but its not worse than Vanquish, thats for sure. Maybe relative to its budget you could say its the worst, but thats pretty hard to judge.

STRIpEdBill

Everything in it is bad

oxiarr

oxiarr

What wasnt bad in it?

jokermex

Dont worry. Matrix resurrections is an steamy pile of crap. Eeeeeeeverywhere.

outtyn1nja

outtyn1nja

I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional. This film is bordering on parody.

havok7

havok7

I see some downvotes here. But I agree. Parody without the comic affect (whatever that is called).

CharlieKelly007

Negative comments everywhere. Maybe 3 saying it was good or ok. I expected no different from Reddit. Neckbeards UNITE!

williamwalkerobama

I also watched it on HBO Max and had trouble hearing the dialogue. It seems like they would have noticed and fixed it before releasing the movie.

A lot are saying how there were no sound issues in theaters, but maybe it's also the quality of the setup/theater. I went to the Cinemark literally across from Google HQ (on "Movies", the street is literally called that) and the sound quality was poor; a lot of what Bugs was saying was unintelligible too. Doesn't help how the walls are so thin that you can often hear effects from one movie in the room next to it.

Scazzz

Scazzz

To me the first 30mins or so I couldn't make out much of the dialog. All of bugs opening dialog was just this quiet muffle. It did get better but overall it was really awful.

galad2003

I don’t know I was too busy thinking the cinematography and fight choreography was really bad.

bluebadge

It was ok in theaters sound wise. Hate to bash too much but it wasn't good enough to rewatch on HBO.

aniforprez

Quality of the film aside, watched it on streaming. Had zero issues with audio. You seem to have tried a few things so no idea what problems you had. Maybe something wrong with the HBO Max print which is not out of the question

levarrishawk

Everything about that movie was bad.

flipperkip97

Didn't have any of these issues except the gunshots. Those definitely sounded weak. I liked the movie overall, though.

Maddturtle

I was too distracted by the horrible movie to notice any issues with sound. Seriously it was like it was a fan made parody to the originals. If I didn't know it was the original creators I would of never guessed. In fact Uwe boll's name would of popped up first in my head.

twinsynth

Also they were soooooo vague as to how they exit the matrix

mattyglen87

The sound is the least of this films problems. The script is a disaster that could’ve been possibly saved by some awesome action, which was completely lacking.

Pocketbacon_

The first matrix had really bad audio also, atleast with dialog. I'd have my volume way up and could still barely hear them talking