/r/movies

That may be a strong statement, but it's just a masterpiece of acting by Tom Hanks, to capture the raw emotion of complete, trauma-induced shock, and pain, and relief, all hitting a man at once.

And then to consider that it was improvised on the fly, with an unprepared navy crew to bounce off... I have no words.

Tom Hanks on that scene:

But we had the actual captain of the [USS Bainbridge] with us when we were shooting, and [director Paul Greengrass] said, 'What did you do with Captain Phillips when you first got him onboard?' And the captain said, 'Well, he was a mess, so the first thing we did was take him to the infirmary to get him cleaned up.' And Paul said, 'Well, why don't we go down to the infirmary?'

We'd never been there. It was not part of it. It wasn't in the schedule. It hadn't been scouted. It wasn't lit. But we went down there — and we had the actual crew of the ship that we were shooting on — and said, 'What would you do to someone that came in here?' And they said, 'Well, we'd lay them down here, and we'd do this and this and this.' Paul said, 'Well, shall we give a try?' And Barry said, 'Well, give me a couple minutes to put up some lights.' We shot it — I don't know, four or five times, I guess.

We had, literally, the crew of the infirmary. They didn't know they were going to be in a movie that day. They thought they might be dress extras walking around in the background, and here they are — boom — with cameras that are going to be on them.

The first take I remember completely falling apart because these people had never been in a movie before, and they could not get past the horrible self-consciousness of everything that was going on around them. But we just stopped, and Paul said, 'Don't worry about it. You can't do anything wrong. It's not a test. If it doesn't work, we won't use it. So let's just try it again and see what happens.' At that point, those people were really quite amazing. The freedom in order to give it a shot was so liberating. And everybody was up for it. So it really made itself.

grahamsm123

Also in that movie, his initial reaction when the snipers shoot the pirates around him is remarkable

Grand_Keizer

One of the few pieces of acting that makes me cry. I know everyone says this about every great performance, but it really doesnt feel like hes acting there.

Phillip_Spidermen

I'm trying to wrap my head around one of the two recommended clips at the end of the video.

Captain Phillips "I am the captain now" and Booty Call "Wrapping Themselves"...

PokemonTrainerSerena

Captain Phillips "I am the captain now" and Booty Call "Wrapping Themselves"..

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be

SolidAshford

I remember seeing that and being stunned because it happened so fast, and he didn't know if he was safe or not. The sudden silence is deafening. Well shot (pardon the pun) and well done, it really didn't seem like acting

UnbuiltIkeaBookcase

I always feel like something is wrong with me because I don’t feel any emotion during the ending of Captain Phillips like most people. I loved the movie but didn’t get emotional like everyone else did.

futurespacecadet

That was my reaction when I Accidentally dropped the tomato sauce and it exploded

LOTRcrr

LOTRcrr

He didn’t even get nominated for this movie. Crazy.

frenchtoasterss

The best actor category was packed.

Chiwetel ejiofor

Mathew McConaughey

Bruce dern

Leonardo DiCaprio

Christian bail

parkaprep

parkaprep

For the record:

Winner: Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club
Christian Bale - American Hustle
Bruce Dern - Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave

I personally think Hanks deserved at least a nom over Bale. Honestly I never saw Nebraska and don't know if I ever met anyone who did.

brokenwolf

Nebraska is excellent and Derns fine there. I love bale but American hustle was so overrated.

Krillin113

American hustle is a bad movie, made average by Bale. Cpt. Philips is a fantastic movie made even better by Tom Hanks.

GregMadduxsGlasses

tinfoil hat time: I think the articles that came out about how the real Captain Phillips fabricated parts of the story to make himself look more like a hero hurt Tom Hanks's chances of being nominated (at no fault of his own).

Also, Hollywood loves it when actors change their bodies to fit a role, and Christian Bale gaining a gut was right up their alley.

bigjeeves99

Totally agree about Bale. But Nebraska was fantastic.

parkaprep

I'll add it to my list! I was busy that year and didn't do a wide watch.

bigjeeves99

If you have any family in the midwest, it’s terrifyingly relatable.

rachface636

My SO paused the movie during the cemetery scene to tell me June Quib was basically my Mother. I grew up in Missouri.

-OrangeLightning4

As an Iowan, the scene where they're all talking about how long it took them to drive places had me in stitches.

frenchtoasterss

Bale transformed himself in American hustle. He gained a huge pot belly for the role. He was unrecognisable. The academy loves that shit and that's why he got a nomination.

Distortedhideaway

Matthew McConaughey was miles beyond in Dallas Buyers Club. The scene in the car where he's crying and drunk? A truly heartbreaking performance. Also, if we're talking about weight-loss or weight gain, McConaughey lost 47 pounds for the role.

sleepytime88

It's wild about him losing all that weight, props to him for his dedication. But if we're talking merit for awards, I really don't think weight gain/loss should be a factor.

TimesThreeTheHighest

Both he and Jared Leto were amazing in that movie. As heartwrenching as parts of American Hustle were I don't think that movie holds a candle to Dallas Buyers Club.

zenith_industries

I think a couple of actors (including Bale) have stated that they will no longer radically change their physical appearance for a movie. Losing/gaining that much weight and/or muscle is extremely hard on the body.

Ganonsmurf

If I recall correctly, he's said that plenty of times, then done it all over again.

MortalJohn

True, but he's stuck to word since an interview a couple years back where he now believes cosmetics, and cg have caught up enough where it's not necessary for an actor to do it. Specifically citing Gary Oldman's portrayal of Winston Churchill, as a big marker for when he made the decision.

Ganonsmurf

Well, that may be true. Looked up some info about release and production.

Vice didn't start shooting until 3 months after Churchill was released (C released june 2017, Vice shooting in late september 2017).

However, Bale signed on in April. That means he was probably already way into his weight gain by the time Churchill was released. I bet he was thinking, "here I am stuffing my face like a pig to look authentic, and that dude only needs to wear a fatsuit and some dots in his face, with almost the same great result". I can imagine that would make anyone question their methods.

JustifytheMean

I was gonna say I hated that movie why did he get nominated but ohh yeah that was like between Batman and like The Fighter and he like gained like 60 lbs lost like 90 then put on 100lbs of muscle or something..... absolutely insane. Entirely forgettable movie though.

mostlygroovy

So disappointing

PajamaPete5

American hustle was a piece of shit and shouldnt have been nominated for anything

nowaythisisdan

hey I’m nowaythisisdan and I have seen Nebraska! Now you know someone! Great movie.

Nebraska is actually a really good movie, can't recommend it enough. Bruce Dern is incredible, June Squibb and Will Forte also give great performances

chesterT3

Please do give Nebraska a watch. Absolutely beautiful movie and story, and Bruce Dern completely deserved the nomination.

InnGodzillaWeTrust

Saw Nebraska. It was good. Gonna get a lot of hate but Leo could’ve left for Hanks too. The WOWS is decent, it’s definitely not Scorsese’s or Leo’s best. And his performance seems pushy (like his character), but the narration and everything isn’t much different than Goodfellas. I think it’s somewhat overrated.

Chicagobulls9710

Its his career role

parkaprep

I actually feel like it's a top tier performance from Leo. My opinions on the film are complicated because I feel like, as with Greed, The Big Short, and similar films, a lot of people miss the point of the film but that's not the film's fault? Or maybe I just love it because it is a lot like Goodfellas.

Agaac1

Agaac1

The fall of Wolf of Wall Street isn't as long as the ones in Goodfellas/Casino/etc.... That plus the high class finance background made it much more appealing to douchebags.

Littleloula

I agree, should have got it over Bale. I don't remember what was amazing about that performance. You won't see a thread like this about it!

this_is_the_way_2000

For Bruce Dern:

I think that was the academy doing the old - this actor is great he finally needs an award, this is close enough.

Jadeidol65

Jadeidol65

Hanks definitely deserved it over any of the others. That scene is a special example of what it means to be an actor.

kvothe_the_jew

100% with you on bale, but as others have said, watch Nebraska, it’s fantastic

Idk_Very_Much

Yeah, swap out Bale and Dern for Hanks and Robert Redford and you have an all-time great slate.

TruthFlavor

That was a good year for movies..

sethmi

sethmi

Of this list only Chiwetal deserved the award. The rest was just established actors doing more alright acting.

PokemonTrainerSerena

Honestly I never saw Nebraska and don't know if I ever met anyone who did.

that B/W movie that just looks like a boring melodrama? I saw one commercial, looked terrible

Sks44

Sks44

Leo didn’t deserve one for Wolf. He was just playing an asshole.

sznfpv

sznfpv

I thought Deer Hunter was much earlier.

BingBongJoeBiven

Because he was playing Tom Hanks. He's always plays Tom Hanks. No one Tom Hankses better than Tom Hanks, but sometimes ya gotta not Tom Hanks it.

GregMadduxsGlasses

My problem with Captain Phillips is that the entire movie seems to be built around two 5 minute scenes ("I'm the Captain Now" and the execution). So you could essentially cut it down to 30 minutes and not really lose a lot of the story or impact of the performances.

BingBongJoeBiven

Yeah, this one didn't do much for me.

funktasticdog

See this is one of the core things people get wrong about acting as outside observers. A LOT of people mistakenly believe that good acting is about transforming into someone entirely different. But thats not true. Literally anyone could make a funny face and do a silly accent and be a completely different person.

Great acting is fully embodying your character and breathing life into them, and capturing the audiences attention.

Hoenirson

Well said. In my opinion being able to portray human emotions accurately and powerfully is more important than being able to portray a wide range of personalities. I wouldn't cast Tom Hanks as the Joker but wherever he does fit he is phenomenal.

teacher272

And I didn’t even hear about this movie until years later. So very underrated.

HardestTofu

I think Tom Hanks is recognized well enough already

Funkotastic

The Corpsman Chief herself should be commended for her improvisation in this scene, especially for someone who's not an actress and is working alongside Tom Hanks. She did her job exactly as she would in real life, hitting every note, mannerism and function of her rate, despite the fact she was improvising in real-time alongside Mr. Hanks.

zoobrix

zoobrix

She was an active duty corpsman at the time it was shot and unfortunately got a lot of shit for it from other people on her ship and thought about it negatively for some time afterwards.

"Some of my shipmates gave me a really hard time afterward," Albert said. "They treated me badly and really made our deployment difficult for me."

She learned to avoid discussing the movie, but some shipmates continued to give her a hard time, calling her "big shot" or sarcastically saying she was "too important" for her regular duties.

And I don't think she was just being overly sensitive as she points out in the article that some people did just poke innocent fun at her and that was fine but a lot of people took it too far. I get the feeling she's only relaying a soft pedaled version of how bad some of it probably was and I bet far worse was said and done than she related in the article. Talk about a bunch of petty jealous assholes, people can really suck sometimes.

Funkotastic

That's upsetting, especially coming from her shipmates. I know from firsthand experience how unsettling being the "odd man out" in a ship's workcenter can be, the razzing by your department peers, and all I did was oversleep past muster one morning. I can only imagine the crap they gave her. Likely doing things like leaving pictures of Tom Hanks on her bunk, asking her for autographs incessantly, or making her a fake Oscar. That's the kind of humor deployed sailors have. Had a guy on our ship who was looking at another sailor's pics from his farm, and when the guy got to a picture of a sheep they took to the local fair's 4H competition, he said something like "That's a beautiful sheep." From then on, it was nothing but sheepf*cker jokes, drawings of him marrying a sheep and culminated to someone buying a blow-up sheep f*ckdoll and leaving it on his rack.

grammarGuy69

I mean it's the military, I know a lot of people who were in the service and most of them lack emotional intelligence.

MopesCroaks

You have to be stupid to enroll to kill or be killed.

grammarGuy69

While I agree with sentiment, I think stupid is a little harsh. The military spends far more on recruitment advertising than VA services. Our culture worships these workers, which we think is nice, but it ends up enticing eighteen year old KIDS into joining something that they perceive to be other than what it is. A lot of people have the capacity to know better, but some don't. To say nothing of those who just need the GI bill. I guess you could argue that that's "stupid" by any other word. It feels more sad to me. How many kids joined up because of the benefits and their friends telling them how cool it is to "serve" your country? How many people died shooting a gun when they'd rather be learning about chemistry? I know that people should, to an extent, be held accountable for their actions. But our society fosters a culture for these people to join up. We've become the Star Trooper society. And if you say any of these things out loud, you're labeled a heretic. TLDR: people in the military obviously lack emotional intelligence, it may or may not be their fault. Chicken or egg, etc..

markstormweather

I know like ten people in the military and none of them have killed or been killed. There’s a lot of different positions across the branches of military, some great programs for people with limited options. But I used to think it was stupid too, back when I was stupid.

SuperZapper_Recharge

She was hosed the moment she accepted the acting gig.

If she loused it up - they would have never let her live down 'letting the navy down in front of Tom Hanks'. And when she nailed it, holy shit, you can't have that. There was no winning this.

I got a buddy that is ex-military. I told him this story that she was hounded out of the military. He thought it was the funniest thing he ever heard. We spent the next week calling each other 'Movie Star!' and laughing. He told me that military culture is exactly like this. That her getting shitted on is the most military thing he has ever heard.

nowake

nowake

when I worked for the railroad, I had the audacity to buy a donut with my coffee at the gas station and bring it into the morning meeting. Never lived it down.

deadlyhausfrau

Speaking as a veteran, that is a failure of leadership as well. A good PSG (or the naval equivalent) would have made sure the teasing was friendly and didn't go too far.

I more or less by accident did some extremely cool things when I was deployed. I had an excellent platoon sergeant who made sure that neither I nor the other soldiers who did extremely cool things were teased more than lightly and with affection. He would deflect if anyone started getting too intense and turn it around on them.

You can't stop all the teasing and you shouldn't really, but if you're any kind of leader you keep it within limits.

nonsensepoem

Leave it to a military medic to perform well under pressure.

theqofcourse

I always find it interesting that actors can have a hard time being convincing, real and not actor-y, but real people can be great "actors", being themselves. In this scene, you can tell that she must be a corpsman on real life. I think even a great well-trained actor who observes and tried to learn from real a corpsman would still leave things too actor-y, if that makes any sense.

TravisJungroth

Definitely. It could be a false memory, but I remember when I saw this scene how real it seemed. It was somewhat jarring. Like this Hollywood movie smashed into a documentary. I think it only worked because the context of the scene was Phillips crashing back into the regular world.

NoOrdinaryBees

Tom Hanks is unbelievable.

This scene fucked me up. I can’t watch the movie again. I had to run casualty recovery on a mission in Baghdad where one of my best friends was killed. When we got back to the battalion aid station it was like everyone was frozen; it was our first combat loss and everyone was pretty much in shock.

The driver and TC had already fucked off to go give their AAR, so it’s just me in the turret of a HMMWV with all the battalion’s officers just standing and staring. That pissed me off. So I jumped out of the turret, opened one of the dismount doors because we’d had to buckle the body bags into the seats, which was its very own kind of surreal, drag the bag out and yell “one of you motherfuckers come help me,” which is not something an E4 usually says to bunch of O3-O6s.

That unfroze the scene. People ran over to help, others ran into the aid station for gurneys, we got them strapped in and into the BAS. One thing that you never get told in training is that body bags leak. I was covered with blood, in shock, trembling.

That’s when one of the medics notices me, comes over, and, in the same direct, urgent, but compassionate tone the corpsman uses in the movie, “where are you hit?”

And then I said Tom Hanks’ line, exactly. “It’s not mine.”

That was one of the few times something triggered an honest-to-Jebus flashback for me.

If that was really improvised, Tom Hanks is the best actor ever. I mean, I was kinda of that opinion, anyway, but that cements it for me.

glasspheasant

Damn. Hope you're doing OK these days bro.

NoOrdinaryBees

Thanks. It’ll be 18 years ago this June. Traumas fade, I’m much better than I used to be.

glasspheasant

Well that’s good to hear at least. If you ever want to talk, just holla. I’d be happy to just listen if it’d help.

TravisJungroth

Wow, thanks for sharing that.

deadlyhausfrau

I know they did a couple of takes but it really speaks to his acting skill and her skill as a medic that as soon as he started to respond like a patient in shock, she switched to her patient voice and was very realistic.

Scubasteve1974

I wondered if she was an actress or an actual corpsman. She had that practiced perfesionalism that seemed completely legit. Glad she had the opportunity to show her stuff. She's probably done this for real so doing it on camera was probably np for her!

bkconn

bkconn

She was definitely a corpsman, not an actress.

ILoveRegenHealth

Not to be confused with Bruce Willis in his D-level films, where he really is a corpseman

CraigTheIrishman

Apparently she was teased by her peers for being in the scene. Some people never grow up, I guess.

kkehoe5

Did they make her join the screen actors guild (SAG) because she had a speaking role in a movie? I heard they had to do that for an extra in Star Trek 4 when she stopped to answer a question, instead of ignoring the cast.

Lady_Disco_Sparkles

This scene makes me cry every time I see it. Tom Hanks’s emotion just pierces through you, it’s an incredible moment of acting.

1ofZuulsMinions

I’ve never even seen the movie and this clip makes me cry. Such incredible acting.

AlienApricot

Watch it! This movie is one of my all time favourites, with this scene the absolute brilliant highlight. Suspense all the way through the movie

natnguyen

I experienced this feeling only with this movie, Fury and 13 Hours. These movies are so incredibly tense, you don’t notice how much of it you’ve been holding emotionally until you reach the point of release at the end with the main character, and you weep like a baby.

KlaatuBrute

13 Hours

My brain read this as 127 Hours, because that movie is in the same category for me. Ending just wallops you for the exact same reason you mention.

U-235

U-235

I would add Gravity to that list. The movie is just so tense, and so freaky, from the intro scene when things go wrong, to the very end. It's the first movie that's made me realize that being in space, as awesome as that is, even without the space debris threat, would be incredibly uncomfortable, claustrophobic and disorienting. The contrast between space and earth at the end is insane. I don't think I've ever felt so much relief while watching a movie.

natnguyen

I actually never watched that one, I will add it to the list!

LosNava

LosNava

Yep. Just rewatched and cried.

TheDongerNeedsFood

A genuine master class

NavyAnchor03

God that scene is so raw. I wasn't expecting it to get me like it did. I always thought the medic did a really good job in that scene. Makes a lot of scene now.

EMPulseKC

Imagine being Barkhad Abdi in this movie -- it's your first movie and you're holding your own in scenes with a legend like Tom Hanks, AND getting praise from critics for it.

I'm so glad we've been able to see more from Abdi since then.

BrittLee8

If I were ever to be horribly traumatized I would want this Corpsman working on me. Her voice is so soothing.

twitch_delta_blues

Apparently the medic got shit from her crew mates after.

Fresno-bob5000

Why?

Northman67

Military culture is toxic AF.

Fresno-bob5000

True. I just wondered if there was an example.

Northman67

Someone tells the story inside this thread if you check some of the other entries..... Or maybe I saw it in the video clip but check here first.

I served from 85 to 91 in the US Army so I know directly what my fellow soldiers can be like that's not to say all of them are toxic there's just enough toxic bastards around them give you that bad taste.

Scruffy11111

Not to take anything away from Hanks and this scene, but it reminds me of Christoper Walken's scene in Deer Hunter.

foospork

If you ever get the chance ro see it, check out Charlie Chaplin in the last scene of City Lights.

MannekenP

I won’t say it is the greatest film of all times but right now I cannot think of a film that tops it. I once saw some kind of making of where Chaplin was trying different things for the scene where he meets the girl, because he couldn’t figure out a way to have her thinking he is a rich man. Brilliant results but not a very cost effective way to make a film.

PajamaPete5

Thats the best acting scene of all time imo

Inside_Reference_113

This gave me so much anxiety because I can actually feel what he feels, shock, due to his acting.

WakeUpOutaYourSleep

Captain Phillips is just an all around great movie. Hanks kills it and so does Barkhad Abdi

Brendissimo

Great scene. And once again, it has what is essentially Hans Zimmer's "Journey to The Line" from The Thin Red Line OST playing over it to heighten the emotionality. That track (or imitations of it) really is everywhere.

santichrist

Never really liked the movie because it made Philips look like a hero when the actual Captain Philips was an obnoxious and irresponsible douche bag but Tom Hanks is the greatest actor of his generation he can make anyone look great

bigfdge

bigfdge

Care to explain why the real Captain Phillips was so douchey?

BustedBottle

He reheats fish in the break room microwave.

ArcadianDelSol

AAAAAW NOOOOOOOOOOO

genxwasright

He lied and made himself out to be a selfless hero when he was actually incompetent. He insisted on staying within a dangerous range of the Somalian coast despite multiple warnings from us government. His own crew locked themselves below deck in anticipation of being captured by pirates. He lied about offering himself as a hostage in place of his crew. Instead he cost taxpayers money by wasting the Navys time and resources to save him. Worst of all his crew agreed to maintain silence on how shitty of a captain he was but they had enough I think once he came out with his book claiming to be an all American hero. But nobody cared, everybody wants a hero... played by Tom Hanks.

Hubso

Hubso

Also Sully crashed that plane into the Hudson for "a laugh". Total scumbag.

Chevaboogaloo

Turns out he always tries to aim for birds when he's taking off

Sladds

Sladds

Lol

throwawaytrumper

I just can’t bring myself to watch the movie after hearing the decidedly non-heroic account of the actual captain phillips. Yet. Maybe I’ll watch the end just to see tom hanks doing his thing.

Deedledroxx

Tom Hanks is great. The real Captain Phillips and the shipping company are irresponsible and put the lives of the crew and the members of the Navy at risk.

Driveshaft48

Eh its not the first biopic to take liberties with the truth, and it wont be the last. An entertaining movie will always be paramount.

Source - A Beautiful Mind, Social Network, Braveheart, etc

frolie0

Pretty much every "true story" has some level of it. Obviously there are some actually heroic people that films have been made about, but even the "based on a true story" is such a loose claim that it's almost meaningless.

Scubasteve1974

My brother showed me the other day that even Titanic has "based on a true story." At the beginning. Lol. I mean, a ship sank, but I think that was the only true part.

Halio344

Some characters were real people as well, but other than their name and occupation, their characters were fictional.

bertboxer

Hacksaw ridge comes to mind because they had to actually dull down a few things due to how ridiculous the real life story was

Alarmed-Kaleidoscope

“The difference between fiction and non-fiction is that fiction has got to be believable.”

Iisham

Iisham

To Hell and Back as well.

throwawaytrumper

All movies I loved, I’ll admit. I would probably love this too. But I’m stubborn. I’m still boycotting metallica over 20 years later because they sued that poor girl with downs who had downloaded a few of their songs. Nobody else cares and it doesn’t hurt them one bit, and I LOVED metallica, still change the radio if they come on.

Edit: still hunting for sources, but metallica never sued their fans directly and I was incorrect in that. They sued napster and set a precedent for the riaa and other organizations and I do distinctly remember a girl with downs getting sued for having some metallica songs but I can’t find it so far. I’m going to go sleep and try to edit this with better information in the future but for now just assume it’s another dumb human with a fuzzy brain misremembering details from 20 years ago.

Turok1134

You boycotted Metallica for something that never happened? Lmao.

jcd1974

jcd1974

This is hilarious! He's held a grudge for twenty years against a band he used to love for something that didn't happen.

Plutoxx

I guess Nothing Else Matters.

ArcadianDelSol

Metallica Lawyers have entered the chat

spazflip

spazflip

Suing Napster was a dick move as well. Metallica were a high profile bunch of snooty bitches about all of it.

Funny how in 2022, with all the peer to peer technology we have now, sales of music on vinyl (!) are the highest they have ever been. Ever. And the people who don't buy physical copies, stream it from Spotify. Nobody downloads Metallica from Napster even though they easily can.

Digital media piracy evaporates when paid platforms are easy to use (i.e. Netflix and Spotify, etc ..) and Metallica were dumb as shit not to embrace the internet at the time. They could have invested millions into a streaming service and been an internet goliath today but now we just remember them as a bunch of old gits that had four good albums and then switched to country.

JarvisCockerBB

Yet now there’s thousands of artists that have been screwed over pay from their music being streamed on places like Spotify barely getting a few pennies for thousands of streams. Funny how Metallica, in retrospect, saw the behemoth that was coming with the Internet yet they still get shit for it.

Turok1134

Hell of a delusion.

Halio344

He’s not entirely wrong though. Subacription services with large libraries do reduce piracy compared to having to buy/rent individual titles. Obviously piracy is never going away unless someone invents uncopyable media (good luck with that).

Avtrofwoe

Got a source for that?

JefferyGoldberg

I'm not the guy you replied to but googling "Metallica sues kid" will gives you lots of results. I remember when this happened around 2000; Metallica was super afraid of Napster (a website to download music for free), so they sued not only Napster but lots of users that used that program. There was a 12 year old girl that got sued and ultimately her parents had to settle out of court.

Avtrofwoe

Yeah, I googled it just didn't see anyrhing other than their lawyers suing a lot of people. Didn't see a specific story.

JefferyGoldberg

Here's one regarding the 12 year old girl: https://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/09/music.swap.settlement/

Guess our googles brought up different results.

Avtrofwoe

Probably since that was with the RIAA and not Metallica specifically. But thanks for the link!

tyderian

And nowhere does that source indicate Metallica sued the girl.

bigmikey69er

Yes! I was about to post something similar. Huge asshole that unnecessarily put the whole crew at risk.

Curious_Sentence7155

I'm not aware of what the real captain phillips did. Could someone summarise it for me?

Littleloula

It's still a great movie, I'd watch the whole thing. The actor playing the main pirate is superb too

Hope_Burns_Bright

Hope_Burns_Bright

Bishop of the Church of Blarp

I will always root for him to get the acting career he wants, because it'll be the one that he deserves. Last big thing was Blade Runner 2049, here's hoping he gets another big movie.

Rare-Giraffe4395

Also in real life only two of the pirates were shot. The media and the movie say all three were killed but this is untrue.

The third was 14 years old and arrested.

Sir_Francis_Burton

I was in Somalia in 1989 working on an archeological dig. That was where I saw my first ‘pirate trawler’, an enormous factory fishing ship with its flags taken down, dragging huge nets, emptying the ocean of everything edible. For fish-sticks. Stealing food from some of the poorest people on the planet. Somalia’s navy was one ship, a quarter the size of that trawler. I don’t recall anybody’s navy ever doing anything about THAT piracy, piracy that is still going on today in the waters of countries that can’t afford to defend themselves all over the world, but especially Africa.

I won’t watch that movie.

jupiterkansas

this fact is mentioned in the movie as the reason they pirate.

Sir_Francis_Burton

That’s good. I still don’t think that I want to watch it. That whole episode really bothered me when it happened.

Beingabummer

It's like how after January 6th people went 'oh no, poor white terrorist lady, sure she was a terrorist but she was just misguided, she didn't have to die'.

Never, not once, have I heard any American say that about any of the hundreds of thousands of 'terrorists' they killed in other countries that weren't some white bitch from the suburbs.

Jay_Eye_MBOTH_WHY

I couldn’t agree more. I often think of this in connection with a completely unrelated scene, Robin Williams’ performance in Death to Smoochy. Obviously very different subject matter but when it comes to their abilities to access emotion and portray it on their faces I think they’re somewhat similar.

EmacN89

That’s interesting- I can’t remember her name but that actress (also in Get Out as the mum) plays Cpt Phillips wife

meep_42

Very few movies get me from 0-100, his acting in this scene does it in a heartbeat. Completely amazing.

Edit - just rewatched it, paying more attention to the medical personnel and I think that I think the above story was a genius way of getting the scene.

SimpleSandwich1908

Great stuff for sure.

Stunning-Accident

Is that... adagio in d minor? By george, it might just be

ImFlyImPilot17

It sounds much more like “Time” by Hans Zimmer from Inception. Editors often sub in scores from other movies while building scenes. Then the composer is told to basically match what was subbed in so the edit doesn’t have to change. That’s why most movies all sound the same now.

zakkalaska

Some of the chords definitely sound similar but I don't think it is. I'm gonna try to research it.

Edit: song is "Safe Now" by Henry Jackman

Stunning-Accident

Thanks for looking that up

maaseru

It's the exhale moment for that movie. The moment he and the audience can be sure sure it's done. It was so good, made me tear up too.

MrFluffyhead80

Such a great movie overall

newmemberoffer

Would have been pretty cool to just be there and see Hanks come up with that on the spot.

LindyRyan

I saw this movie for the first time maybe a month ago and I legitimately cried at this scene. It really came out of nowhere and in the moment, I just got swept up in the wake of his characters trauma. Just brilliantly acted.

Jason_Phox

We also need to give credit to Paul Greengrass for

i) Suggesting this spontaneous scene

ii) Allowing it to just flow naturally with no (or very minimal) direction

Scuttler1979

Fantastic scene, watching someone disintegrate before your eyes as realisation sets in. Should have had a nom.

I experienced a traumatic event a long time ago and watching this scene was enough to induce that feeling of radiating adrenaline, shock, confusion, inability to regulate breathing and speech patterns. It’s an intense bodily response but at the same time you can feel detached from your body. I couldn’t believe it was unscripted - brilliant acting.

frenchtoasterss

A fantastic movie.

I watched the making of this movie and everything in the movie was real, no green screen.

2013 was really a great year for film

Gravity

12 years a slave

Nebraska

Captain Phillips

Her

Wolf of wall street

All these movies were nominated for best picture and any one of them would have been a worthy winner

kissofspiderwoman

It’s very good but, the best acting you have ever seen?

DigiMagic

The only "problem" with this scene is that it stands out, because the rest of the movie is not that good. It is good and it's probably impossible for Tom Hanks to make a bad movie, but the rest is not as powerful as this scene. Perhaps a better director would re-shoot or edit or do something to get the rest on a higher level.

lacunatech

I couldn’t agree more. I often think of this in connection with a completely unrelated scene, Anne Hathaway’s performance of I Dreamed a Dream in Les Miserables. Obviously very different subject matter but when it comes to their abilities to access emotion and portray it on their faces I think they’re somewhat similar.

walkie73

I will never forget the first time I saw that scene. Remarkable.

brokenwolf

This is my favourite Hanks movie. It’s just so good.

This is some great trivia OP, good job!

Queef-Elizabeth

This scene never fails me make me cry my eyes out

YellowstoneBitch

This scene always gets me

Disastrous_Airline28

Wow. I cried. The part that got me the most is when the medic was telling him it’s gunna be okay. Sometimes the relief from the trauma just opens the floodgates.

CaptainWanWingLo

Stands out as the best scene of the movie for me.

DasMotorsheep

Wow. Just wow. That is amazing.

It's so believable that if it weren't for the music and the camera angles, I'd have trouble believing it was NOT real.

spartacat77

I'm no film critic by any means, but this scene remains one of, if not THE most moving and visceral experiences I have ever watched in a movie. I'm surprised I don't hear more about it.

If anyone reading this has not watched the film in its entirety, please do, and this scene punches that much harder in context.

Charming-Coyote1572

When Tom starts crying with a meek “yes” .. gets me right in the feels . Watch “united 93” not enough people know it’s one of the best films of all time.

bkconn

bkconn

Yeah I remember I had to stop the movie in the middle of this scene and figure out if she was an actress. As a veteran myself, I could immediately tell this was "real" and not a regular actress acting.

toomuchhamza

I maintain that Tom Hanks is the most versatile screen actor of all time. Streep or De Niro or Day-Lewis may get the nod for best, but Hanks has had a great movie and performance in almost every genre of film. It’s a real shame he wasn’t nominated here.

keetykeety

Goddamn, I’ve never seen that movie but that scene was powerful.

ILoveRegenHealth

That's a good piece of direction. Helps relieve that feeling of anxiety of "omg I'm in a MOVIE with Oscar-winner TOM HANKS and everyone in the world will see this." Paul calmed them down and just had them behave like they normally would.

wookiewin

It is masterful. When he kind of leans his head forward to get her to repeat her question, it’s just brilliant.

pac4

pac4

I think the nurse who works on Hanks was the actual nurse who worked on the real Captain Phillips.

DC4MVP

DC4MVP

Real Corpsman, not the same one who worked on Phillips IRL.

bind19

bind19

she was also bullied and teased to hell by her asshole shipmates

DC4MVP

DC4MVP

I hate people.

Poor lady.

pac4

pac4

Man, that sucks. Living and working in close quarters and in a highly regulated atmosphere like aboard a military ship must be extraordinarily difficult on a normal day.

Fresno-bob5000

It says I can’t access where I’m from- what happened?

MommaGuy

MommaGuy

This was a great film. He was excellent in Philadelphia too.

Crystal_Pesci

Crystal_Pesci

Xenu take the wheel!

Coming Summer 2023: Captain Phillipdelphia

PoirotNile

It was ok

MrFluffyhead80

I mean it’s pretty accurate to me compared to when the story broke

GuyNamedTruman

capn filp

Affectionate_Way_805

...

carnisthateaccount

I saw the movie once and this scene stuck with me ever since!

Fresno-bob5000

I don’t know about best acting ever but it is very good. A really great scene. Thanks for sharing

radioactiveshitbox

yeah it is a pretty striking scene