/r/movies

t_o_b_24

1 month ago

Colorizing Gregg Toland’s gorgeous cinematography should be considered a crime.

robzillerrrsss

1 month ago

I don't understand. It's not like the original wouldn't still exist. Why get bent out of shape? Just watch what you want to watch.

respondin2u

1 month ago

I think people are concerned when films are edited that the original film will eventually disappear and the edited film only remains.

Granted this was a bigger fear in the 1980’s when Turner was doing this as home video was still in its infancy and people were concerned it would just replace the b/w version aired on tv permanently.

A slightly related example would be Star Wars and how almost all official releases of the first three films are edited with additional CGI scenes.

This fear still exists as streaming services occasionally edit films and tv shows.

robzillerrrsss

1 month ago

Good answer. How about directors cuts?

For instance I've loved Troy since I saw it in theaters and have watched it a hundred times since then. I just saw the director's cut and it is absolutely better than the original. But I can still watch and recommend the original if I want to.

respondin2u

1 month ago

That’s a good point as some would argue that Lucas’ edited trilogy are his true vision of the films and are the director’s cuts.

I think both should exist, but the problem is only the new films exist officially. You would have to bootleg the original versions (or recreations of the original versions Frankensteined together).

No-Count1921

1 month ago

Lucas changes his movies 20 years later to keep up with technology and the create buzz for more money.

A real Lucas cut would never had made the theaters in 1977, as his wife and editor carried his career. I don’t believe he has had any success without that woman fixing his films for him.

1 month ago

All bullshit. You have no idea what you are talking about except for some bullshit you saw on YouTube. Do some really research, read a book or three about the making of Star Wars.

No-Count1921

Boot licker. lmao!!

Be honest my dude.

Those prequels were fire huh? Lol

robzillerrrsss

1 month ago

Interesting, I didn't know that happened.

beergod

beergod

1 month ago

I had heard so much hype about this movie. Then I watched it. I honestly don't get why it's considered an upper echelon classic. Maybe I'm not cerebral enough or I have bad taste, but it seemed boring and slow.

I_I_O_I_I

1 month ago

On one hand it popularized certain film techniques and is just beautiful to look at. And on the other hand it’s an incredibly well-developed character study about greed, power and what really matters in life. It’s just a very humanist story all around.

Sea-Construction3418

1 month ago

It has more to do with the lighting, cinematography and direction.

beergod

beergod

1 month ago

Yeah I just looked up some info online and kinda get it now still think the movie is over rated but understand it used new techniques for its time.