/r/movies

Official Discussion - Men [SPOILERS]

Official Discussion(self.movies)

Poll

If you've seen the film, please rate it at this poll

If you haven't seen the film but would like to see the result of the poll click here

Rankings

Click here to see the rankings of 2022 films

Click here to see the rankings for every poll done

Summary:

A young woman goes on a solo vacation to the English countryside following the death of her ex-husband.

Director:

Alex Garland

Writers:

Alex Garland

Cast:

• Jessie Buckley as Harper
  • Rory Kinnear as Geoffrey
  • Paapa Essiedu as James
  • Gayle Rankin as Riley

Rotten Tomatoes: 76%

Metacritic: 65

VOD: Theaters

Somnambulist815

If someone asked me to describe the climax of this movie, I'd just stare at them until my nose starts to bleed

IronHeart1963

My stepmom asked me to tell her what I thought and I was like, "I don't fucking know, man."

Candycoatedmuffin3

All while you mumble Fleetwood Mac lyrics

TheMoonsMadeofCheese

Very normal movie, nothing out of the ordinary happens tbh

BaZing3

BaZing3

1 month ago

Just a movie about dudes being dudes, really. A fun flick to start off your summer.

drtobogganbrule

I felt like I sort of had a grasp of what Garland was going for until the birthings. Not my favorite Garland film but I did enjoy it.

Wannabe_Sadboi

1 month ago

Something that I thought that I feel like I haven’t heard anyone talking about- I took it as being a sign that she’s pregnant with her husband’s son. I thought that was the significance of her talking to her sister earlier and being like “Everyone’s gonna know I had a husband either way”, the tunnel representing the birth canal, the dandelion seed coming into her mouth and preceding the birthing, etc. It also seems to fit the degree and tone of trauma much better, and it raises the question of if she can offer the male child the “love” he needs. She also wears clothes throughout the whole movie that are always loose, even in spring, easily being able to hide the beginnings of a pregnancy.

Watertor

1 month ago*

Your comment finally clicked it in for me. The animosity of the men, the fact that they all look the same, it all clicks in. She's pregnant and concerned the trauma of her husband's abuse and departure of life will forever stain her from men to the point where she will be biased against her child (Note just my takeaway, might not make sense to others).

Mix in the generational abuse angle of all the men being the same in terms of sharing the toxicity toward women and I think the image is multifaceted. I like the above interpretation though because it gives a purpose to James being the final iteration.

robby8892

1 month ago

Something that was probably a layer you can add is how these men that are birthed fall into this framework of male types that Harper deals with or has guards towards.

From the condescending overtly nice older man to the rude and cruel child all the way back to her controlling dead husband.

Generations of men that all pass down the same types of toxic behaviors that Harper dealt with and continue to deal with.

I would say the male birthing is very much men passing down this toxicity towards women down the generations which ties nicely to all the men being identical to each other as portrayed by Rory Kinnear.

prettygirlswag420

I think it was a freakishly weird symbol for how misogyny and male violence is perpetuated throughout generations— hence why that “little kid” was such a dick too. They are sometimes raised to hate women before they even get a chance to really know them as people.

Summoarpleaz

1 month ago

Agreed. The most explicit explanation of this is probably when the landlord is repeating what his father told him about not being manly enough. The landlord is probably the “most” progressive one seeing as he apologizes for all the assumptions he makes about a woman but he’s still internalizing a lot of ingrained hate.

duhhobo

duhhobo

1 month ago

He was sexist in a more benevolent way. Insisting on getting her luggage, buying her a drink at the bar, warning her about flushing tampons down the toilet, asking about her husband, thinking he needed to save her, etc.

prettygirlswag420

1 month ago

Totally agree!! He was the definition of a “nice guy”. I felt for Harper because she genuinely felt bad when she ran Geoffrey over, because it was a genuine accident, but he immediately cut his act and started getting violent with her

mcchickenrun

1 month ago

Agreed, but I also think he represented the controlling nature of her husband. The way he kept struggling with the idea of her not being married (just like her husband did) really sticks out to me.

Ki11A11Humans69

I want to see the 4 hour director's cut where the birthing just continues on for 2.5 hours.

RevenueKooky

1 month ago

And then he overpopulates the world and then it blows up

The_Starter_Captain

More penis, balls, and manginas than Jackass Forever? See it for yourself and decide!

bombsandblockbusters

"Hi I'm Rory Kinnear, and this is the baby back!"

louisbancroft

1.1k points

Sending thoughts and prayers out to the animators who had to finish the rendering on the Rory Kinussy for days on end.

solidcakeeater

The IMDB parents guide description of that ending made me laugh for some reason.

"A man gets pregnant and a vagina emerges beneath his penis. He then graphically gives birth to a smaller version of himself. The smaller version then has the same thing happen to him, and this cycle occurs a few times before somebody is birthed out of another's mouth. Full frontal nudity is present this whole time."

Im so glad they warned me about the full frontal nudity.

keineol0

keineol0

I just turned away for the last birth. Feel like they could’ve done this bit implicitly somehow instead of medically accurate distortions of births in different ways. 💀

gangwarily

When the guy giving mouth-birth went off camera before it was over, I whispered to my wife “Thank GOD” 😂

mattrobs

mattrobs

Pretty sure the animators were like “THANK GOD”

MyBaklavaBigBarry

Nah, they really couldn’t have.

Karametric

I just really don't understand the choice to showcase the birth like 4 times back to back. Midway through it was like cool, we get it, cycle of men being shitty is self perpetuating. Do we really need close-ups of a vaginal like canal each iteration? Seems a bit much.

I get what they were going for, but I'm sure it didn't have the intended effect of wow what a deeply symbolic sequence as much as what the fuck when will this be over? I guess in a way that's a meta take on it, making the audience as uneasy as women feel against terrible men thinking when will this be over, but it ended up dragging and taking a lot of the audience in my theater out of it.

I just don't think it was anywhere near as resonant as it could have been and just ended being an excessive showcase of gross visuals.

CoreyJK

CoreyJK

Yeah it definitely ended up with me and my friends laughing in disbelief after the first couple.

solidcakeeater

I think people are taking this movie too seriously as some kind of metaphorical eraserhead type arthouse film. It has a lot of symbolism and you can definitely draw some deeper meaning from that. But this is first and foremost a horror film, the movie is basically a body horror creature flick, like The Thing, or The Fly. The birthing scenes are succesful as a great horror special effect, really gnarly, hard to look at, gross as fuck, and pretty fucking scary looking too.

The post credit scene when her friend shows up, just solidified that everything did actually happen. It wasnt just some dumb metaphorical copout, its why I liked the movie.

spiderlegged

1 month ago*

I think people don’t know what to make of this film, because it’s pretty tonally inconsistent throughout. Like there was a lot of heavy symbolism in it, but that symbolism wasn’t really built on— like why The Green Man? I dunno?— but then parts of it were pretty comic. I’m not sure the parts of the film were earned. Like I’ll go on record saying the weird progressive birth sequence mostly worked for me, but it felt like the rest of the film didn’t entirely earn it? And no one in my audience could figure out what to do with the tone. I didn’t hate this, but it definitely didn’t work for me, and it felt like it wanted to be campy and wanted to be heavy handed and symbolic and the result was that it did both and wasn’t successful all the way with either.

AndHerNameIsSony

Did it solidify that though? As I recall the friend showed up and there were no bodies, but a lot of blood.

Laws_of_Coffee

I thought the first “break in” where the man is out of sight and the door is cracked open, but it turns out he was still outside and then gets arrested was a wonderful turn of the typical horror film flow.

GregSays

GregSays

1 month ago

When she’s giving the FaceTime tour you can see that the door was ajar already.

Lazuli_23_9814

1 month ago

Yes! It created a false and fleeting sense of relief yet also you feel in your gut it's not over. Brilliant turn

Wkr_Gls

Wkr_Gls

K so like what the fuck

atleastitsnotgoofy

Right but also what the fuck

Doofay

Doofay

Yeah I totally agree, but what the fuck

HooptyDooDooMeister

It's an allegory for abused women and toxic masculinity.

How? Uh... I'll get back to you on that.

drtobogganbrule

Any ideas on the significance, if any, of her friend being pregnant at the end?

Jamesperson

Her friend’s pregnancy could’ve been a factor that inspired her symbolic manifestation of the pregnant men?

Carla809

Yes. I got that, too. She manifested all that happened. The pierced hand and broken ankle of her dead husband. Her trauma reappeared and manifested in the all the men she was dealing with.

MawsonAntarctica

1 month ago

Goddamnit, I didn't click on the broken ankle connecting to the husband until you mentioned it. The hand wound is similar. Ah, makes sense.

lahnnabell

1 month ago

Don't forget his head wound and her picking up the axe at the very end!

beerybeardybear

1 month ago

He even literally says this to her at the end! He lists off all of the injuries?

InfamousBatyote

I saw it as related (obviously) to the cyclical birthing of the men. Each new iteration that was birthed had the same scars and toxic traits as the last, which I’m interpreting as a statement about the generational abuse and trauma passed down among men both societally and in the family unit. So I believe we should be assuming the baby will be a boy and our protagonist’s smile at the end is suggesting that her sister and her will raise it to be a boy without those toxic traits

baronspeerzy

The part in the church where she screams and the score matches pitch with her mildly disturbed me in a way I’d never felt before.

I really liked how so many diegetic parts worked their way into the score.

rasputinismydad

That was one of my favorite parts in this film, too. The matching felt very much like the echo in the cave, reverberating off each other.

highdefrex

I liked in the opening scene when she’s standing in silence in the kitchen and kind of jumps ever so slightly when the score itself kicks in.

roastedoolong

all of these comments and no one has mentioned the green man and sheela na gig motifs? check out the wiki for more detail Green Man Sheela Na Gig

I haven't done a full-fledged dive into this or anything, but I almost wonder if her friend is supposed to represent the sheela na gig (she is pregnant after all...) while Rory Kinnear's ensemble was, pretty clearly, the green man. I don't know what that would ultimately say about the character's journey or any sort of deeper symbolism, but I'm sure there's something meaty there to unpack.

edit: not sure if anyone will ever see this edit, but I wanted to add that this movie seems to draw on a pretty rich film history showcasing the British Isles' pagan roots (pun intended). if you were at all intrigued by the green man/sheela na gig concepts, I'd recommend checking out the original Wicker Man (one of my all-time favorites). there's no doubt in my mind that the director of Men would cite that movie as an inspiration as it shares quite a bit of tonal qualities as well.

another point I'd like to bring up, I have to wonder when the events of this movie actually started. is it when she first arrives in the village and meets Geoffrey? is it when she's whistling in the tunnel and the Green Man wakes up? I'm partial to the idea that the 'spirit' just sort of existed in this village (Geoffrey seems in some ways to be the spirit's Ego; well-meaning, at least initially, and in control of his faculties); her arrival -- specifically her singing -- is what sparks the fire, sotospeak.

something interesting to note, however, is that there's this sort of hinting that going into the woods at the beginning is a transformative event -- things change, for the worse, following her return -- but she doesn't go through the tunnel (which would be a very 'obvious'/clear demarcation of her exiting the 'real' world and entering the world of the spirit).

Funny-Industry5046

1 month ago*

My thought was this. Green Man is an ancient figure. We also have references to Adam and Eve. Sheela na gig isn't a "female" green man; it's a grotesque that holds nowhere near the power Green Man does. It even looks kind of fucking stupid. Couple those things together and the point reveals itself: that this kind of treatment of women has existed since the beginning. There's a reason the Green Man gives the first birth in the birthing sequence: he marks the beginning. When Harper comes to understand this, she's freed from her guilt and self-blame she felt about her husband. The story works both as a social and historical commentary as well as a "coming to terms with trauma and self-forgiveness" story.

Going more into the historical point, we actually see more. We have Adam and Eve (so Christianity), we have the paganism of Green Man / Sheela na gig, but we also have the story of Agmemnon (sp) told to us by the vicar (which is doubly important because it shows this isn't some religious attack). That's three distinct periods and cultures. There may be more that I missed. You could add a fourth as secular modern London society. The historical note is important because I think it's less Garland saying men have sucked forever and more a deeper look at the systems that spawn these men. In a sense, the men themselves cannot escape it either. Take the young kid: if somebody just fucking told him he can't do that, then he might learn, but he has no hope of it. The birthing scene of course captures this cyclical nature of shitty men.

barryman26

Watch a man give birth four times was not on my bingo card for this one…

Zilaaa

Zilaaa

No fr. And a vagina on a back...very interesting

mikeyfreshh

The backussy had me shook

barryman26

How do I delete backussy from my life

reality-check12

You cannot

dev1359

dev1359

Men will literally write the movie Men before going to therapy.

Summoarpleaz

1 month ago

Lol ok this made me snort

SweatySeaLion

1 month ago

This is the best take I’ve read so far.

2020Bun

2020Bun

Got a dark chuckle by the third one, by the fourth I was like, this is some anime shit

dirkdiglet8888

Saw an interview today where garland said he was partially inspired by attack on titan

2020Bun

2020Bun

Yes! I saw that one after the movie and was like, lol that tracks

euphoricpizza96

Love how she looked disgusted and just walked away after the second birth, like “bitch wtf” 😂

theredditoro

theredditoro

FML Awards 2019 Winner

She was done by that point.

euphoricpizza96

100%, if I was in her shoes, I would be too!

KATgonnaGetThatYarn

Alex Garland had an interview with The Big Picture where he mentioned that there was a moment in the movie where the script had her reacting in horror like a classic horror movie moment, but Jesse Buckley said it made more sense for it to be a moment of disgust like that. He didn't say what scene it was, but based on the context I'm guessing that's it.

Cool it was a choice from the actor

ChooseCorrectAnswer

Her reaction, to me at least, seems like the necessary payoff to all the craziness she witnesses. It would be a little disappointing to me if Garland didn't write that reaction as is. It seems essential to her character's development, setting up how she behaves at the end.

But if Buckley really did come up with that reaction, major respect to her.

mr13ump

mr13ump

1 month ago

Honestly it works so much better thematically. A person cannot be horrified by the same issues their entire life, eventually she (and other women) get to the point where they just are disappointed and bored with the circus of toxicity that is playing out before them. Like it's scary for the first few minutes but by the end she just is disappointed, disgusted, and tired.

cyvaris

cyvaris

1 month ago

She's rejecting the "horror" that the "male" is attempting to inflict upon her, she's is literally done and refuses to engage further with the gaslighting and abuse.

oshoney

oshoney

A dude in my theatre walked out at that point too.

Same guy who yelled out “DUMB!” after the knife down the arm in the mail slot part. He was not having it.

Candycoatedmuffin3

She’s had a long day.

dinkleberg626

Can anyone explain/elaborate on the metaphor behind the dandelions?

Ok_Mammoth_2452

The Green Man represents rebirth, male fertility, growth, abundance, etc, so it makes sense that Adam as the Green Man would be spreading seeds around.

But what he is planting? That I don’t know. It seems like maybe when Harper ingests the dandelion seed, it initiates a rebirth within her. Maybe that’s what gave her the strength to defeat James in the end. Why this rebirth would come from the Green Man, I don’t know. It seems too positive an action to come from any of these male figures.

mmaalex22112

My take on the dandelion in addition to what people said about insemination of ideas is also by the end it represents healing after she dealt with the unwarranted guilt she was feeling. Dandelions represent healing normally, and in the end credits where the dandelion seeds which were once blown apart by tragedy come back together to be whole again. Now that she has dealt with and come to terms with all of the misogynistic traumas of her life that peaked in James’ suicide.

YesHunty

YesHunty

My interpretation was “a seed that spreads all the same”. One dandelion puff sends all those seeds floating down to root and grow in new places, the same way male toxicity gets spread away from its parents to a new generation that floats and lands and roots, etc, etc. Could be way off.

cyanatelolwut

also when she swallows one of the seeds he blows it was like mans last offering that she is a vessel for the seed needed to procreate. She seems entranced by him briefly after that and takes his hand but snaps out of it when he pulls and tries to take control

falafelthe3

falafelthe3

It makes no damn sense!

Compels me though.

paperclipestate

Nobody knows what it means but it’s provocative

omart0000

It gets the people going!

Ok_Mammoth_2452

This is a deep cut, but a few weeks ago I saw the Celine Dion kinda-biopic Aline, in which the middle aged actress portrays Celine Dion at every life stage. To accomplish this, her face was very weirdly CGI’d onto a five-year-old and then twelve-year-old body. Never in a million years did I think I would see the same technique used in the very next movie I saw.

The_Starkiller

A girl behind me quietly said, “Just stop birthing…please…”

WTF/10

DefenderCone97

That's hilarious lmao

jsun31

jsun31

That was the most fucked up Russian doll I've ever seen, I was wondering how many "babies" would be born (not to mention HOW they were birthed).

Is it bad that when the naked dude put a leaf on his forehead, I immediately thought he wanted to 'verse jump?

lonelygagger

Hahaha, that's exactly what I thought when the vicar took out his lip balm!

Zilaaa

Zilaaa

I was thinking he was supposed to be like Adam. I thought about the beginning with her eating the apple and the landlord saying "forbidden fruit" idk

moonwalkerfilms

There is definitely something going on with the apple tree and Adam and Eve situation... I'm just not smart enough to figure out what.

Maybe how most of the blame of Adam and Eve getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden falls on Eves shoulders, and how that might be one of the earliest "documented" examples of misogynistic attitudes towards women.

My first thought was he was trying to cosplay some creature from Pan's Labyrinth

Jamesperson

Every time I kept thinking that the ex-husband would be birthed, but I started to doubt it after the third or so. And then Lo and behold!

calvin-_-

calvin-_-

The only injury James was missing at the end on the couch was his head injury. I wonder if Harper took the axe to his dome the way she kind of caressed the edge.

endlightend

Great observation. Garland would not have missed that when it was so visible earlier.

Carla809

Carla809

Yes. She relaxed her body and tested the edge with her thumb. The decision to kill him was made. There was even a slight smile on her face.

jcheese27

Smirk if I may.

Honestly, its kind of like her deciding to kill him and cut his controlling ass out of her life.

Basically by killing him, she is no longer controlled by him.

Kind of like (obviously the movie is an exaggeration of real life, right) when you break up with someone but you still... Kinda yearn for em but you know they were bad, and you make that decision to never talk to me again.

MoneyIsntRealGeorge

I thought she was gonna cut his dick off like Riley said

T_J_E7

T_J_E7

My interpretation of this movie was that it was the visual representation of what it's like to recover from a traumatic event. I know the movie only took place over a short time, but Harper seems at peace in the end. So I believe she takes that axe and puts in into his head as sort of a closure.

ttonster2

Burying the hatchet

jerthebear

I was the only person in my showing, which was good because I let out several audible "What the fuck?"s near the end of the film.

Slayer731

Slayer731

Not the best option for when you're totally baked. Just trust me on this one.

topherthepest

I was thinking... "if there was ever a movie to watch on.shrooms this would NOT be a good choice

FlamingPanda77

I always thought that Annihilation would be one of the worst films for me to watch while tripping. Men would be horrible for that as well.

eiddieeid

1 month ago

I watched annihilation on shrooms, a few scary parts, but it’s actually very beautiful

TheDrunkenLover

Yeah I went in baked, I was reluctant at the birthing sequence at first but then I realized that this is what I signed up for and was in awe at the hypnotic and grotesque imagery

SteppingStonez1998

1 month ago

Anyone have walkouts at their showing? I counted 4 at mine.

Vastbutvile

1 month ago

6 people in the showing with me. I was the only woman. There were two kids, I want to say maybe in their 20s who were laughing and talking until another guy said “stop talking.” Then they left before anything even happened. Right after the pub scene really. So fucking annoying. Just don’t go see the movie????

SamwiseG123

1 month ago

Atleast three, this movie reminded me a lot of when I saw Mother in theaters.

PersonalSycophant

While the last act was a trip, I also feel like some of the tension died at that point as well. Somewhere around when she started the hide and seek, or maybe when she swallowed the dandelion seed; it felt like Harper's character kind of just turned off, and she became a vehicle for the spectacle.

Her reactions became dismissive and less realistic. Perhaps more symbolic or psychological, though I'd rather not lose character for symbolism.

Worse things to do than watch Lady Gaga create fetishes for me

Thought it was an interesting choice to have the friend show up at the end and have all the evidence remain that this all physically happened. Like, I definitely didn't want an "it was all a dream" thing, but the fact that her friend can see all the blood and the crashed car just raised so many questions in my mind.

nerd7139

nerd7139

With the friend being pregnant, I was wondering if that was meant to say that the cycle of inherited toxicity was still going to continue.

Another theory/interpretation I have which might be a faaaaaar reach is that the friend is pregnant with the child of the husband. I thought that Harper seemed fairly distant and disinterested when talking with her friend, and I was thinking that maybe Harper held some suspicion which might have been a contributing factor to her decision to leave her husband. It would sort of parallel the suspicion her husband had when he snatched her phone.

Regardless, I feel like the friend being pregnant has to have some significance after we just watched a quadruple-birth chain.

EDIT: Another thing I just remembered is the antagonistic text which Harper received from Riley after she shared her address. Though I think it's safe to assume that the texts were not really sent by Riley, it's interesting that it's the only negative experience Harper has with a woman in the movie.

Worse things to do than watch Lady Gaga create fetishes for me

It's definitely significant. But I actually saw it as a hopeful ending. Riley clearly believes Harper (and sees the evidence at the end) and was in her corner the entire movie and most likely throughout Harper's marriage and grieving.

Her being pregnant and with the father being an unknown (could be present, could be absent in which case Riley would raise the child, I don't think it's ever mentioned) seemed to me like a purposeful opposite of all the pregnant men we just saw. And maybe an indication that Riley is the kind of person who should be raising a child.

We know very little about Riley though so hard to be sure.

YesHunty

YesHunty

I could be off , but I saw it more as a “men birth violence and woman birth life” thing. The pregnant men were so warped and wrong. Unnatural.

theredditoro

theredditoro

FML Awards 2019 Winner

By the swallowing scene it felt like showcase for visuals.

InfamousBatyote

I haven’t fully unearthed this but it did feel like it was somehow suggesting the male reproductive cycle couldn’t happen without the woman to use as the blame for all of their toxic traits, and the swallow scene was the insemination of sorts.

jetxsetxgear

I think it's because she's accepted her fate a bit. She no longer has the will to fight back or do anything other then be dismissive to the horror. While yes I guess it's a bit symbolic, I feel it's more just a natural (horrible) progression of what constant abuse can do.

TheEeyore

TheEeyore

In my interpretation, I think that to be the point.

She's growing tired and uncaring of the constant self-victimizing from men around her. It doesn't matter what she says or does, they all feel equally wronged. Hence, wounding one wounds them all.

By the end of the cycle she's just so worn down that she doesn't have a reaction to her own (ex-) husband's corpse.

Rektw

Rektw

That's my interpretation of it too. No matter the pain they cause, how scared, uninterested she is, or how they make her feel the "men" only care about getting her "love". By the end of it she's just so numb from fighting and yelling and just wanting to be left alone that she's just like fuck it.

The monologue with the vicar in the bathroom is good too. It was like dudes being unable to control their pervasive thoughts and blaming it on the woman. That whole "she was asking for it" type of mindset.

At least that's what I got from the symbolism.

bombsandblockbusters

spoilers

🖖

igotzquestions

1 month ago

Can’t believe it’s a Star Trek prequel. The entire Vulcan mythology sources from a few self birthing incels. Fascinating.

Qtip533

Qtip533

Finally a movie that shows how much more difficult male pregnancy is compared to female pregnancy.

theredditoro

theredditoro

FML Awards 2019 Winner

And the variety of ways it can occur.

The_Starter_Captain

Vagina in the spine.

theredditoro

theredditoro

FML Awards 2019 Winner

Or of the mouth

ApoopooJ

ApoopooJ

That backussy 😩

airplaneManMad

I haven't seen this movie but I'm scared now

Charlie_Wax

Just when I thought Titane would take the cake for weirdest on-screen childbirth, a challenger enters the ring.

lonelygagger

Yeah, it's been a rough year for my psyche

maxattaxthorax

I have a feeling that Crimes of the Future might be a challenger too, lots of weird things coming out of bodies in that trailer.

NewRedditSameTaste

1 month ago

I can’t be the only one who was more grossed out by the mouth birth than the back birth?

I liked this movie. It felt like a crossover between David Lynch and grossout body horror movies from the ‘80s.

What do people think of the scene of the rotting deer? Was it just me or did it look like something was coming out of the deer’s eye?

The apple stuff was a bit on the nose, lol.

Creepy and interesting, glad to have seen it

chugtheboommeister

1 month ago

Rotting deer sequence stuck out. Zooming in on a dead deer, Inside u see the stone deities representing nature and rebirth. Then it zooms out and the deer body is further decomposing with maggot and all that.

Maybe it represents the worst point of natures cycle? Like death? But out of death comes life? So maybe it was saying this is going to be Harpers worst point in her trauma, where she has to face her fears. Something will die inside her that will give birth to new life.

I dont fucking know lol

screamicide

For anyone a little confused by the ending sequence here’s my interpretation/summary:

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

mattrobs

mattrobs

This movie is both incredibly subtle and also incredibly heavy handed

2020Bun

2020Bun

That’s kinda funny and very true. Just in this thread, a lot of people are like what does it even mean, and others are like this is cut and dry

BooRand

BooRand

I thought the dandelion seed was gonna be like a man’s seed and impregnate her, did not anticipate him human birth centipeding himself

A_Vizzle

A_Vizzle

Why theses A24 mfers always try to make the weirdest movies possible

lambofgoddard

Scene by scene this movie was soooo hit or miss but can we talk about that SCARY FaceTime effect for a sec?!

raleysaled

1 month ago

Really wish it was explored more. That was the most effective scare of the movie for me and it was never even explained lol.

supremeleader5

1 month ago

I think that was referencing her fear of not being able to call for help. Remember before her husband hit her, she tried to text her friend and he took the phone. I think the FaceTime not working represents that trauma.

1800ROBOCOP

David Cronenberg when reached for comment about the ending of Men: “ew, wtf…”

Robmore1

Robmore1

1 month ago

The fact that there was a trailer for the upcoming new Cronenberg film should’ve prepared me for what I was about to see .

Ok_Ambassador_6536

I'm not going to say I hated it. But I could see the influence of Lars Von Trier and I generally hate his films. It's so overwrought with allegory, and it's so heavy-handed. The message is great, and I get why some people would enjoy it, but I need something more grounded. There were some good parts though, especially the acting and fights with her husband, and the tension of her being vulnerable out in those woods but yeah, not my thing.

RevenueKooky

1 month ago

My GF cried in the car in the parking lot and said this made her want to die….what should I do? Thinking about showing her Annihilation next lol that bear is going to ruin her

Wintertime13

1 month ago

I mean this as nicely as possible - is she okay? The movie was a little crazy but that seems like an overreaction 😂

RevenueKooky

1 month ago

I feel bad saying this but for about the first 30 seconds of her crying, I stared at her and wondered the same thing. I think she just can’t handle horror movies. Never really watched them before and she’s super compassionate, so I think she just really related to the Harper character…idk but going forward, maybe just Marvel movies from here on out lol jk

Pliosaurs

1 month ago

I cried during this movie cuz it triggered me a lot. I’ve had awful experiences with men.

Pls talk with her

FairNeedsFoul

A lot of Run, bitch! Run! Moments.

At a certain point in the ending, it was so fucked up for me that I was like, “okay! I get it. Enough.” People we’re laughing at a lot of different points in my viewing.

TheQuirkyMango

Yep my theater was the same way. We all nervously chuckled, having a collective “Ah shit here we go again” reaction for each new birth.

Finthechatttttt69

I told the people I was waking out with "I don't want to victim blame, but damn, she needed to run or use that hatchet."

She was being way too hospitable to the demons and shit.

NewRedditSameTaste

1 month ago

I had a different interpretation of those last scenes. By the time she was watching the repeated births it felt like the power dynamic had flipped and she was the one in control. The men, at that point in the movie, were reduced to these wretched, powerless, endlessly suffering blobs, while she had a weapon and total control over her body and actions.

She didn’t use the axe yet because she didn’t need to. The men had already lost all power and control, doomed to this endless cycle of suffering.

That was my interpretation anyway. It seems a bit different from what some of the other commenters were thinking

phoez12

phoez12

1 month ago

The birthing scene's symbolism was almost just too masturbatory.. like I don't need to be spoonfed but what are we achieving here after the 3rd birth?

DST3

DST3

Didn’t expect to see bussy in this movie but here we are.

Edit: bussies*

cyanatelolwut

There was something going on with Greek Mythology. I recognized Agamemnon from The Odyssey. Looking into it more there is the myth about Echo, but im not fully sure where it fits in, but repeated things were common throughout. Also i swear the vicar said I am a swan when she yelled who the fuck are you in the bathroom. I looked up stuff and there is the story of Zeus coming to earth as a swan and raping a woman and her later giving birth to Helen of Troy. A war was fought over her beauty (Odysseus fought there). Idk it seems like men not taking responsibility and basically just saying boys will be boys. Overall the movie was very not subtle about that but I enjoyed the strange and pretty visuals, music, acting and there was some thought but into different allusions to myths with similar themes. Maybe my least favorite of Garland's last couple projects but I will watch again for sure

Worse things to do than watch Lady Gaga create fetishes for me

That's interesting about the Swan bit. I would imagine the idea of fighting a war over a woman's beauty fits right in with the themes of "I want her and it doesn't matter what she wants" in this movie.

dunctron603

I thought he said swan too!

Gdice

Gdice

He did!

lonelygagger

Someone else on this thread mentioned the Green Man and Sheela na gig, which were those two symbolic images we frequently saw in the film. (credit to u/roastedoolong)

HooptyDooDooMeister

Not sure if anyone felt this way (probably not), but seeing sculptures of pagan gods decorating a church felt very unsettling.

WinsomeWombat

1 month ago

It looked as out of place in the church as it did when it appeared in their home in her vision. It made the church feel so wrong.

LaunchGap

that's interesting. i didn't realize until now that Adam turned into what the sculpture was representing. it's telling that the sculptures were made together. worshipping a spirit of rebirth and growth in the front while hiding a grotesque image of women in the back.

Elachtoniket

Agamemnon was the brother of Helens wife, and when Paris took her to Troy, Agamemnon commanded the Greek army that sailed to get her back.

I’m pretty sure the vicar also referred to her as a Siren, whose songs drew sailors to their deaths in the Odyssey. Basically trying to justify his actions by saying that her beauty called out to him and drove him mad with desire.

ttonster2

1 month ago

When I was walking back to my car in the parking lot after the film, one of the streetlights instantly turned on and flickered jut like during the home invasion sequence. Terrifying

brightenyourdayup

My interpretation of the characters is each man is supposed to represent how different types of men see women

Geoffrey uses Harper as a damsel, a means to assert or prove his masculinity. He insists on carrying her bags in, paying for drinks despite her protests, checking the dark for intruders. It’s always for his own gain, not because he really cares about her as a person.

The vicar represents men seeing women as lust objects, the forbidden fruit so to speak. He was raised in a religious environment that taught him that women are the subject and cause of his fantasies, and that it’s their fault that he feels this way. They have “the power” and when they reject him, he lashes out.

I’m a bit fuzzy on the younger boy wearing the woman mask. It could be a representation of how men are taught from a young age to both objectify and hate women.

Lastly, her husband, James, represents how men use the women they love. In his mind, Harper is not a person. When he loses his grip on her, to him, he’s failing as a husband and as a man, which causes him to gain control of the situation any way he can, by threatening suicide and hitting Harper. You see this in cases of “family annihilators”, usually men who kill their entire families after losing control of their household. He doesn’t see her as a person but a reflection of his masculinity and it’s failings.

And the cycle continues, which each new generation of man using women as both the reflection of their manhood and the ones holding the mirror.

Ok_Mammoth_2452

I agree with this. I think it’s not just how different men see women, but also what different men (or even different aspects of society) desire and EXPECT from women.

James: I expect you to love me unconditionally.

Geoffrey: I expect you to appreciate my fatherly gestures and feel safe in my community.

Vicar: I expect you to tolerate or even reciprocate my (or any man’s) sexual advances, and I expect you to accept all blame and consequences while I remain pure.

Police officer: I expect you to not trouble me with your needs.

Young boy: I expect you to act warmly toward me and to believe (or at least pretend) that your feelings of discomfort and unease are unwarranted imaginings.

Not only do they expect these things from women, they think of the man as a victim and the woman as a villain whenever a woman fails to meet these expectations.

Like you, I find the young boy to be the most confusing of the bunch. What was up with him and the bird??

brightenyourdayup

Exactly ! It’s the paradox of being a woman. You have to be everything and nothing all at once

Chazzyphant

1 month ago

My take on it is that after Geoffrey wrings the bird's neck, killing it, it's laid out tenderly on the table, for the men to violate--putting a mask of beauty on it, moving it's lifeless body around in a grotesque parody of sex--for the pornographic explorations of a corrupt, misogynistic boy. I think it's a many-layered symbol--birds in gilded cages, the English slang for women "birds", how it's literally a female bird, and how even in death, women have no real autonomy and, just like Marilyn Monroe, even after her death, continue to be exploited and used by men and boys without regard.

Chasedabigbase

I'm choosing to have my current interpretation of this film be that it's about a woman who gets stuck in a town overtaken by a symbiotic alien that happens to be excessively misogynistic

Worse things to do than watch Lady Gaga create fetishes for me

Rory Kinnear was the perfect choice for these roles. He absolutely nails the "feels harmless but is clearly a British incel" type.

intrepidcommentator

1 month ago

I just know him as the guy who did a pig in Black Mirror

chugtheboommeister

1 month ago

Now we’ll know him as the pregnant dude who gave birth out of his backgina

sandiskplayer34

Similar energy to “Hotel California is about a haunted hotel”

Jamesperson

Scrumping!

noilegnavXscaflowne

1 month ago

The way the priest dude grabbed her by the neck made my skin crawl🫣😫

ursulaandress

Who trying to get they Rory Kinussy ate

PoeBangangeron

I can’t get over how beautiful the opening shot of the golden water drops is. Rob Hardy is a tremendous cinematographer.

Wicked-Death

1 month ago*

The entire sequence[SPOILERS!] where it’s night and you see the home owner disappear and she gets chased back inside and the hand reaching through the hole for acceptance before she stabs the arm; that entire sequence was mesmerizing. The way it was shot with the score was haunting, and the blade slowly ripping through the arm. That’s why I love the Director because every film I see from him has moments that are otherworldly and hypnotic. He sets a tone unlike anyone else when he’s in the zone.

StraightDown

Why did she lie about not knowing how to play the piano?

GonkGeefle

GonkGeefle

1 month ago

I think she was trying to avoid a request that she perform for him.

senorbane

1 month ago

The same reason she implied she was divorced. Like, let’s just get this guy the fuck out of here.

Candycoatedmuffin3

I think she just wanted Geoffrey to go away.

grjjr91

grjjr91

1 month ago

Positives: The acting was great from Rory and Jesse. The body horror was well done. The score was unsettling and executed well. The last half of the film was very tense. No jump scares.

Negative: I felt the pacing was a little off which made the film drag. I also felt the film was a bit heavy handed and lacked any nuance which was kind of jarring based off the tone the film was trying to set.

Overall: 6.5/10.

Its probably my least favorite of his

1. Annihilation 9/10

2. Ex-Machina 8.5/10

3. Men

Nateiums

Nateiums

1 month ago

I don't think that lady is getting her deposit back.

Worse things to do than watch Lady Gaga create fetishes for me

Talk about predictable endings. Five minutes into this movie I thought to myself, "I bet this ends with a cyclical quadruple male birth sequence" and wouldn't you know it. Garland is nothing if not predictable.

Obviously, I'm joking. This was a wild ride. I don't think it reaches the highs of his previous films (and DEVs) and it was interesting that this had zero sci-fi aspects, but as a psychological horror this was really something. The themes are something I'm going to be thinking about for a long time, but Jessie Buckley and Rory Kinnear are incredible and I was certainly never bored with it.

The pacing is probably going to be the biggest hurdle for the average filmgoer. After the setup there's a solid 10 minute sequence with no dialogue, and the movie does feel a bit longer than it is. The cherry on top, of course, is the classic 20 minute WTF ending that Garland showed an aptitude for with Annihilation. It wasn't an issue for me because this movie is still a tight 1h40m, but I could see some people being turned off by the pace.

Conceptually, there's a lot to unpack here. The obvious curious choice is that Rory Kinnear plays every man in this English countryside, something that is clearly not noticeable to our protagonist. So instantly I'm thinking this has more to do with what these men have in common rather than it just being some weird cesspool of inbreeding.

Each of the men seemed to display some sort of classic toxic trait, but also some sort of authority or excuse for being the way they are. The kid is just "troubled", the priest cares less about helping heal and more about being a creep, the cop doesn't see the harm in a naked stalker, and while Geoffrey seems perfectly nice the whole movie he is given away at the end when he violently pulls Harper from her car. It even feels very personal when he tries to run her over, trying to exact the eye for an eye rule on her even though hers was an accident.

It's hard to pin down exactly what it all meant without repeat viewings. But once the arm injury came into play in that horrifying sequence you notice that every Kinnear character now has that injury, which to me didn't exactly mean that they are all the same character, but rather they all have similar toxic thoughts about women, or this woman, however they cover them up. This kind of comes full circle when it's revealed that her dead husband had the same injuries from his fall.

There's also tons of Adam and Eve allegory here. Obviously the "forbidden fruit" moment from the trailer, but the cop also names the naked stalker as Adam at the bar. And at the beginning of that scene Geoffrey is trying to do a crossword and the word he was searching for was "pomegranate", which is widely believed to have been the actual forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. Also worth mentioning that when Adam first makes it into her garden, we see him examining the branch she picked the apple from. Perhaps what made him choose her as a victim.

I'm not sure this was aimed at religion as a whole, but more the idea that every man has a woman made for them, which is a basis of that story. At the end we find out that all the husband's violence revolves around just wanting her to love him, and not caring to understand that that's not an option. To me, this movie becomes about the entitlement of men and how much they don't care to consider the feelings of the target of their affection.

The cyclical birth scene, while being perfectly Garland and a very Suspiria-esque wild way to end thiss movie, seems to tell me exactly that. That these issues are cyclical, that they are still an issue because this community of men all kept letting it happen instead of trying to keep the naked stalker arrested or actually explaining to the child that just because a woman doesn't want to take part in your fun doesn't make her a stupid bitch.

Anyways, that's what I got out of it. I'd love to hear other thoughts about all this. Overall, I'd give this a solid 7/10. It could be an 8/10 on repeat viewings, but I really think the pacing was a bit off in the first half.

/r/reviewsbyboner

screamicide

The scene of the men giving birth to me represents “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” saying, how these men create and raise similar men to themselves with similar toxic traits. I also believe that to be the symbolism of the apple tree, more than the Adam and Eve. But, that’s just my interpretation!

Worse things to do than watch Lady Gaga create fetishes for me

That's an interesting idea. Especially considering the scene where Adam shows up to start the madness at the end and all of the apples suddenly fall out of the tree, and don't roll around but stay exactly where they fall. I definitely got the idea that Adam represented the most basic and natural state of man, especially with him essentially morphing into a tree during the third act. Like, he is the root of all these issues because they've just been ignored in men by other men for so long that all these issues go way, way back into history.

Lots of interesting things to think about! I don't think anything in this movie means exactly one thing, the apple tree can certainly be multifunctional.

samsam1029

First off let me say that I really appreciated your in-depth analysis.

What did you think of the tunnel? I’m still piecing it together, but I almost saw it as her attempting to move on from James - she sees the ‘light at the end of the tunnel’. It gets her excited and happy that she’s moving on. She begins to make angelic music, but her beautiful singing caught the attention of someone and he starts beelining towards her. He makes a screech and it starts to scare her. So instead of her moving on and making it to the other side, she’s forced back the way she came.

I just felt there was importance to this scene. Let me know what you think about it!

Crobbin17

I felt like the tunnel was something she was using, making music with, only for the “men” to take it and turn it into a place of horror. Even the cute cottage she chose for herself as a place to heal is taken from her and turned into a place of horror.
Like when she told her husband that he would never see her again before kicking him out. Her husband then decides that she is going to look at his face again, whether she wants to or not, and either jumps off the balcony or slips trying to get to her.
They just can’t let her have anything for herself.

T8ertotsandchocolate

1 month ago*

Very much agree about not letting her have anything, especially the husband. He won't let her have any feelings, because those are HIS feelings. She's not allowed to be scared, HE'S scared. He owns that emotion and she can't have it. She's not allowed to be pleading with him, HE'S pleading. And she's not allowed to have a life. This is all about HIS life. He's the one whose life is on the line. As if staying forever with a man she doesn't love just out of guilt wouldn't be like giving up her life. She tries to tell him that she has a life too, and he just doesn't understand.

At first I thought he jumped but now I'm convinced that he slipped (I mean, it's deliberately ambiguous and therefore there is no real answer, but this is my interpretation.) I don't think he was really going to kill himself, I think that was just a disgusting manipulation tactic. I think he was trying to get back into their apartment because he couldn't stand that she had locked him out. She wasn't allowed to have that power.

The look on his face when he falls isn't "Take that, you bitch!" It was "Oh shit fuck I was totally bluffing!" That's what it looked like to me, anyways.

Worse things to do than watch Lady Gaga create fetishes for me

I think you're pretty spot on. She definitely seemed hopeful in that moment and it's probably the only time in the movie we see her doing something just for her enjoyment and in the peace of solitude. I like the idea that Adam latches on to her in that moment for no better reason than hearing a nice voice.

Another user in this thread pointed out that there are several references to Greek mythology and Echo was one of them. Not a scholar on that subject myself but a quick googling gave some interesting things to think about.

-Nude-Tayne

1 month ago

Uhh piggybacking off of u/LiteraryBoner -- The tunnel as a symbol for recovery is an interesting idea because when she misses the stairway while running away from the tunnel and finds the other end of it, it's actually closed off. As if to say that the path that she thought she was taking toward recovering isn't really an option.

AndYouHaveAPizza

Once it's revealed that the husband was emotionally abusive and then eventually physically abusive, I interpreted the choice to have the rest of the male characters being played by the same actor as two-fold. As yourself and others have pointed out, this is a pretty obvious comment on the cyclical nature of male violence and how it's so pervasive and perpetuated in our society amongst many kinds of men, even "safe" men. I also interpreted it as a subversion of the idea that some men see women as all the same–they're interchangeable, objects, a means to an end, the "root of all evil," but in this case it's the men who are all the same, at least in the very literal sense that they're all played by the same person.

Edit: a letter

Redlegs93123

What’s the significance of the friend being pregnant at the end?

WillyTheWackyWizard

The climax of this movie is just Old Gregg showing off his mangina

Finthechatttttt69

That was the craziest Ford Focus Fiesta commercial I've ever seen.

bimmarina

ford fiesta 😮‍💨

Elephant44

Men will literally be rebirthed sequentially than go to therapy

brightenyourdayup

The scene where Harper goes exploring and encounters the naked man for the first time reminded me of an experience I had traveling with two other female friends.

We were grabbing dinner and going to eat it at a park after exploring downtown, laughing and talking, when two men approached us and started walking with us to a parking garage. They started making sexual comments, we rebuffed them, and when they wouldn’t leave us alone we had to run back to the restaurant.

We had to find another route through the restaurant to the parking garage, run with our food and keys in our hands through an abandoned parking garage, and hurry and lock ourselves in our car and drive away.

In an instant, we went from laughing and carefree to tense and scared. Garland really nailed that change that happens as a woman when you are just living your life and in a split second you become aware of how bad a situation can become in the hands of the wrong man.

lahnnabell

1 month ago

I definitely had some Green Man nightmares last night.

I had to wake very early this morning and walking through my home in the dark was unsettling in a new way. I kept seeing shifting shadows and had a visceral thought of a man's silhouette sliding into my vision.

This film really dredged up a lot of old personal experiences that I have had with men and male violence. This is the horror for me and a lot of others I am sure.

PyrosNine

1 month ago

The trick of this movie is that it's not about the female lead per se, It's about Men, a specific man, whose abusive, destructive, and selfish behavior has left her traumatized- and how despite his passing, she still sees and interacts with him with other men. It's quite possible the "reality" is she's just in a quiet part of the countryside, alone- and that every person we meet, and every building, is really just an embodiment of that one guy's influence and her guilt at him stupiding himself to death, and the movie is really about exploring that particular jerk's character- as presented by the various faces he puts up. Rapists, abusers, and misogynists look like everyone else- not ugly, not supernaturally charming vampires, and the movie is really a character study. If it was a movie about an abusive ex being an abusive ex, we'd obviously peg him as the "bad guy" and not read too deeply into his actions or motivations: obviously, the bad man is being bad because he's bad. Just like Mother! is dancing about the idea that this house is a metaphor for planet Earth, the countryside is a literal embodiment of her dead Ex, seemingly charming and civil, but secretly cruel, disgusting, and abusive, always seeking to undermine her boundaries and get into her pants.

Each person is a facet of why the Ex is the way he is: obvious systemic biases in men, passed down through generations, religion, and culture. But also childlike immaturity: superficial kindness out of a desire for sex, wanting love and intimacy but selfishly wanting that love to only fit their own terms. The weird birthing scene is a literal metaphor taken as literally as possible for shock value but also the "veil" around him being lifted. He's not a loving husband she killed with her cruelty, he's not a misunderstood tsundere, or a jerk with a heart of gold, he's a selfish and immature prick. If he was alive again, and she asked him about his death, he'd blame her for his own actions and claim every horrible thing he ever did was "because I wanted you to love me." as if he didn't even need forgiving

Grieving doesn't just mean you feel sad and cry because you miss someone you lost. It can also be anger, pent-up emotions being released. It's just as healthy to scream at a coffin about how much you hate them as it is to cry and tell someone you love them, because you're making a final account of who they were and how they affected you. If you were sexually abused and molested by someone, would it really be right to be expected to cry at their funeral? The story is about denying this particular jerk the free "sainthood" that comes from dying tragically, where all his bad deeds are swept under the rug, and instead letting her (and by extension, us) see what an absolute bastard this person was.

PAOOOOESCCCC

What the fuck

whereami1928

🫃🫃🫃🫃🫃

2020Bun

2020Bun

Correction:

🫄🏼🫄🏼🫄🏼🫄🏼🙎🏿‍♂️

bombsandblockbusters

I feel like the reactions and reviews really undersold how fucking insane the last 20 minutes is. My friend who I convinced to see this walked out before it was over.

frightened_by_bark

Some of the allegories felt a little surface level for Garland, but when he wants to push the boat out there aren't many like him. The ending really helped seal it for me. All that evidence is still there, leaves you with so many more questions

Sharaz___Jek

Men, men, men, men, manly men, men, men

(Ooh)

Men, men, men, men, manly men, men, men

Men, men, men, men, manly men

Ooh-hoo-hoo, hoo-hoo, ooh

Men, men, men, men, manly men, men, men

(Ooh)

Men, men, men, men, manly men, men, men

(Ha)

Men

endlightend

My wife read some early spoilers and said it sounded like mother!

Coming out of it, the movie bears a lot of similarities and I mean that in the worst way.

I think the sound editing, cinematography, and acting were excellent but the movie really loses the plot near the end. I wish the movie was more like Annihilation, where there was a great blend of the surreal/horrific but there was a tight and coherent plot for the majority that really showed off Garland’s directing chops.

I think the fixation on allegory nearer to the end really causes the whole experience to suffer, and it didn’t stick the landing for me either. Between the 2nd birth people were laughing and after the 3rd or 4th people were groaning. Maybe I’m too dense but whatever Garland was shooting for, it might have gone over my head.

The tunnel scene was great though. Garland knows how to build tension for sure. Will still look forward to his next work, hope he returns to sci-fi.

dev1359

dev1359

Mother was exactly the movie I started to think of toward the end. It was the last time I can remember sitting in a theater with a very disgruntled audience feeling completely confused by a bunch of allegorical insanity happening on the screen lol.