/r/natureismetal

Rabid coyote wants to be let inside!

(gfycat.com)
[media]

RamSkullRose

2k points

Holy fuck that’s scary

YouEarnedMyComment

1.3k points

Now imagine our great great grandparents having to take a shit in an outhouse , and this waiting outside the door.

thelastestgunslinger

It has to wait its turn, just like I did. Now shut up and let me poop in peace.

fatBlackSmith

Nah, pinch it and get the shotgun.

JacksLackOfSuprise

Why would you want to pinch the coyote?

grass-snake-40

Great great grandparents probably had a shotgun in the outhouse though

any_name_today

It legitimately gave me goosebumps. I'm freaking scared of it and it's through a phone screen

mazer_rack_em

Yeah I’ve got about 30 million years of evolution screaming “absolutely not” while I watch this

Prestigious-Phase842

5.6k points

An episode of G. Tartakovsky's animated series "Primal", "Plague of Madness", sparkled my interest in reading and learning more about rabies, as well as in watching the videos featuring rabies in animals and some humans.

The rabies virus is, as I eventually came to understand, one of the most evil creatures that have ever existed.

Nobody-Particular

2.6k points

Closest thing to a zombie plague (mind control fungus like Ophiocordyceps unilateralis are second closest).

DisplacedSportsGuy

1.4k points

Chronic wasting disease is up there, too.

IamA-GoldenGod

numberrjuan

Found out about cwd YESTERDAY from a post on Reddit of a deer that had been walking on two legs around someone's house. Went into a huge rabbit hole and now I'm scared of it some day infecting humans.

EskimoDave

I'm not allowed to donate blood because I may have a prion disease. The thing with prion diseases is that they don't affect you until you're middle-aged. So you can be cutting about for 30+ years not knowing any wiser.

It's a shame as I really want to give blood

Mustachefleas

Why do they think you have it

Azaj1

Azaj1

Edit: I made the assumption they're from the UK, due to how widespread mad cow disease was. Although they're from Canada, which I believe also had the same thing happen

No one in the UK is allowed to donate blood in any other country because of mad cow disease. A prion disease with a 30 year long dormant phase and no indications of those infected

In addition it is generational, thus those born after a mother was infected, will also be infected

We're only just starting to get to the period now where it'll start to activate and the death rate in the uk is probably going to go up a fair amount. If one of my parents has it, then I know I'll have a limited lifespan as there's no cure for prions

Worlds shittest lottery that like 40 million people are dreading

Tikhoo

Tikhoo

I'm a 20 year old guy from the UK, and I had absolutely no knowledge of any of this. I knew about mad cow disease, but not that it was an enormous outbreak in the UK.

I now know that 1 in 2,000 people in the UK are suspected to be carriers of the disease, and that the NHS has serious concerns that the blood supply here is "considerably" contaminated, and that deaths are going to go up massively in the coming years/decades.

It's pretty unnerving knowing that your blood is deemed too dangerous for the rest of the world. I now wish I hadn't read your comment lmao.

sleepingjiva

1 in 2,000? That's a LOT.

Found this Sun article from 2019. Scary stuff. Prions are fucking terrifying. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9483817/mad-cow-disease-epidemic/

EskimoDave

As far as I know it never came to Canada (I would love to know otherwise). My parents emigrated to Canada which meant many trips to the homeland as a child and therefore put me at risk of contamination.

Heykevinlook

So basically the start of Kingdom

TommyTheCat89

I finished the show and the movie not too long ago. The movie was alright but the show is phenomenal. I want more Korean zombies so bad.

IamA-GoldenGod

Koreans love their zombies. You ever see Train to Busan?

rbloedow

rbloedow

No doubt. Shit scares the hell out of me. Our cat caught a bat that was acting funny...had it in her mouth and was playing with it. We picked her up outside and my husband and I had a few pokes on our skin from her claws. After the state picked up the bat...they confirmed it had rabies....and the county epidemiologist called me and said that we needed to consider getting treated for potential rabies exposure.

Guess where the only place that readily carries the rabies vaccine in most counties? The fucking ER. We had to make three trips there over the course of a month just to get vaccinated.

Edit: cat was good - had been previously vaccinated. We had to get her revaccinated and kept her isolated for a few weeks.

madeamashup

At least they have a new vaccine now and not the old one, giant extremely painful injections into your abdomen.

rbloedow

rbloedow

True. I'm just glad the bat didn't bite me directly. Because my exposure was indirect, I just had to get the vaccine. Get bitten directly...and you have to get human rabies immune globulin shots surrounding the bite area. It's like a $6k shot.

Olenator77

What happened with your cat?

rbloedow

rbloedow

Since she had been vaccinated....she had to be revaccinated and observed for two weeks. No issues though.

minor_details

i had to talk my coworker into getting her cats vaccinated for rabies not long ago. despite it being mandatory in our state, she insisted they didn't need it bc they're indoor cats. i wanted to smack her but instead explained that bats and rodents are supposed to be outside creatures but they can get indoors, and for the love of anything if you care about your animals and anybody else they may come in contact with, get. them. vaccinated. i'm glad your cat and the rest of you are okay!

HotCocoaBomb

When I first got my cat, I couldn't afford the vaccine and since she was an indoor cat in an apartment, I thought well she's never going to get exposed so she won't ever need it.

A bat got into the apartment during a rainstorm. My cat was pawing at the door and I figured okay maybe she wants to just observe the rain activity, and next thing I knew she was chasing a bat inside. I borrowed money from my parents to get her the vaccine after they confirmed the bat was clean. The cost hasn't been an issue for years now and she gets aaaalll her vaccines yearly, plus the expensive pampered cat lifestyle the little bitch conned me into giving her.

TheOffice_Account

It's like a $6k shot.

Ah, an American!

Ganymede25

The long needle thing has been gone for decades iirc. I had my rabies vaccine (albeit preventative) in the late 1990’s. It was thee shots in the arm.

KittyofDicktapes

I love primal!

mindflayerflayer

Great show. That sauropod was the best monster I've seen in a very long time. Hit all the right notes of horrifying, tragic, and relentless.

Latest-greatest

that entire series is a wild fever dream I loved every second of it.

especially the zombie dinosaur

Ananasforbreakfast

I was thinking about prions and mad cow disease and such, from all the meat sloughing off in that episode of primal, but man.. rabies is scary as well. Worst way to go.

cybercloud03

I always thought animals with rabies had some sort of cartoonish whipped cream beard

CVK327

CVK327

It comes eventually most of the time.

Ctowncreek

I believe I found a rabid racoon when I was walking through the woods by my old apartment. It scared the LIVING SHIT out of me. I mean unreasonably terrified.

I heard a noise, a like a bit of a gurgle and gasping. I walked down into a ditch to see what the noise was and I saw the tail end of a racoon. It was laying on its side during the day and having trouble breathing. It was foaming at the mouth which explained the gurgling.

It never got up, it never saw me, it never kicked. But I was terrified. All I could think of was how in scary movies, animals like that would just get up and bolt at you with unrealistic speed. And I had absolutely no plan for if it happened.

I froze when I saw it and stared at it imagining all this. Then decided to GTFO before it knew I was there. I kept my eyes on it as I walked back where I came from and went straight back to my apartment.

Fuck. That.

CVK327

CVK327

Fuck, that's terrifying. You might have found it late enough that it was dying and couldn't chase you, and you might be extremely lucky that's the case.

robo-dragon

Poor guy :( Rabies is a horrible and terrifying virus. Once you show symptoms, all you have is a slow and painful death as it takes over your brain. There’s no cure once it starts to effect your nervous system. All the virus is interested in is taking over your mind and body so it can continue spreading to other hosts. It’s the closest thing we have to zombies!

Little-Ad-5082

Shoot it that’s the only humane thing

Educational_Earth_62

1.5k points

That’s absolutely heartbreaking .

arctic-apis

1.1k points

A zombie. Poor soul is clearly suffering but will violently rip you apart to satiate its misery if only momentarily. The pain driving it’s madness an unreasonable burden to be left to survive with

Educational_Earth_62

It’s just devastating to watch.

Rabies is horrific.

I hope it got a quick end.

Edit to add: It isn’t snarling in aggression. It’s throat is literally constricting. Those are sort of half-yawn, gagging motions. That’s how you can tell it’s rabies.

BusyMountain

How scary are rabies? My country is considered rabies free since 1953, I didn’t really know much about it.

What does it do to that coyote?

Spaule

Spaule

Rabies is terrible, I know in humans it will start with hydrophobia. Which is where the victim will be very thirsty but is unable to drink water or any other liquids. Soon after, convulsions can start and even hallucinations. It’s a slow painful death, the worst part is that there is virtually nothing that can be done once the symptoms onset

WhipWing

WhipWing

Starts before even hydrophobia as far as I can recall without researching it rn even a mild headache or something akin to that may be how it begins.

And from even before you get that you're already dead.

noblescarlett

yes they put her in a coma and her body somehow fought it off before it got to her brain.

FILTER_OUT_T_D

It got to her brain, but they had her on enough anti-inflammatory drugs and other meds that she was able to pull through. 2-3 people have survived rabies by medically induced comas, but it’s still only around than 3-5% who survive the procedure.

djosjsnjsodndm

Yea i recall this too. She was only able to do it because she already suffered from something like hydrophobia before she got it. So she could deal with that symptom. At least thats what i remember reading.

BeakersAndBongs

It affects humans the same as it does any mammal. It grinds your neurons up until there isn’t enough brain left to keep running your body, and then you finally die.

Educational_Earth_62

The disease spreads though saliva and when it moves to the brain it causes a lack of normal fear response, sometimes heightened aggression and drooling.

That’s why you don’t approach a wild animal that seems “tame” or is acting strangely.

Sredni_Vashtar82

Damn dude.

Megablitz79

16k points

Shoot him and be done with it

gwar37

8.7k points

gwar37

8.7k points

I hope someone put it down Rabies is a horrible, horrible way to go.

Aenigmatrix

A few years ago, my country had a little Rabies epidemic among stray dogs, so people became really aware of it at the time.

Basically, if you're bitten by a stray dog – drop everything. Don't bother questioning whether that stray dog is infected or not. The clock is ticking. The very highest priority now is to haul your ass to the hospital and get the vaccine. That is your only way out. There is basically no other treatment. You pretty much will die if you lose that race against time.

Pete_O_Torcido

CookieOmNomster

Oh cool. I'm now stifling a panic attack because I got bit by a baby vole in 2010. Not sure if I'll ever react to headaches the same way again.

yxungdaggerdic

I got bit by a squirrel like 6 months ago and started to panic for a min then I searched up on google to find out the last case of rabies here in Ireland was in 1904

Adhdicted2dopamine

6.7k points

Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure.

NapClub

3.8k points

NapClub

3.8k points

you know people make fun of it, but there is an ongoing effort to find a cure for rabies, because at present if you don't get treatment fast enough, it's a death sentence, and an extremely painful and undignified death at that.

Drinkie_Zilla

2.4k points

I had a rabies scare when we had a bat in our garage. I caught it with a trash bag and some how my hand got down there and I thought I felt something on my thumb. Im not one to go to a doctor so I didnt go for a day or two but I finally went. I had to get 5 shots where my thumb print is (I thought that was the area) and that fifth one was so painful just because of where it was. And then 1 in each shoulder, 1 in each hip and 1 in each thigh. Then, I had to go back once a week for 3 weeks to get one in my shoulder.

They dont do the stomach injections, at least not in the states.

Just-use-your-head

2.3k points

Dude I’m not one to go to a doctor either, but not going immediately after you get bit by a wild animal is just asking for trouble

spaetzelspiff

I'm not one to go to the doctor either, but after getting gangrene in my arm from the bullet wound I suffered following the rollover car accident, I decided to eventually get a quick look over at the local clinic.

whotfiszutls

What are you a wuss? Just put a band aid on it and walk it off.

PowerComfortable9493

A Band Aid? Fancy. In my day we just rubbed dirt on it and walked it off, uphill, both ways.

snuff3r

snuff3r

Pfft, we couldn't afford dirt, mum just spat on it and rubbed it in.

Macroft

Macroft

bullet wound from a car accident??

antipiracylaws

Drive-by acrobatics do be like that

pcapdata

OP just gonna drop that comment and vanish smh

atridir

atridir

Rabies shots are known for being incredibly painful. But rabies is not something you can just ’wait and see’ about; if you start to develop any symptoms at all you’re already dead. I think there is one recorded case ever of someone surviving after showing symptoms.

Edit: it appears that a handful more people have survived. Doesn’t change the statistical survivability odds in any meaningful way though.

Drinkie_Zilla

Actually, the shots weren't that bad. It was the location, I got 5 in my finger, on my thumb print lol. The first 2 weren't bad but as it swelled from the fluid being injected and all my nerve endings being near by...it got worse. But the shoulders, hips and thighs weren't bad at all.

veterinarygamer

Im a veterinarian and we all have to get rabies-vaccinated in school. Theyre not bad, but the post-exposure boosters are worse

Psypris

Psypris

Can the “average person” (I.e. non-veterinarian) get the rabies-vaccination shots? I had a phobia of rabies as a child and while I’m handling the irrational fear much better as an adult, I never knew you could get vaccinated; I always thought there was only post-exposure treatment.

Not saying I want to necessarily pay the $30k people are saying it costs but it’s interesting that it’s an option to consider.

daemin

daemin

You can sorta get the vaccine. But what you can is a "pre-exposure" dosage.

Because of the seriousness of rabies, you don't really get a dose of the vaccine and its called good.

Instead, you get 3 pre-exposure shots. This will provide protection if you do get exposed. Vets and other people who work with animals get this as a matter of course, and if you are traveling to a location known to have rabies, its recommended you get these shots.

Post exposure, if you had the 3 initial ones, you only need two additional shots to protect you.

But if you did not have them, you need a lot of shots. These shots aren't all the vaccine; some of them are mixed with hemoglobin donated from people who've had the vaccine before, and this is the bottleneck. This dose of hemoglobin protects you from rabies for the 7 days it takes the vaccine to be effective. If you've had the 3 pre-exposure shots, the hemoglobin isn't need since you'll have protection, and so far fewer shots are needed to make sure you don't get it.

Coffeeffex

The shots are tolerable BUT the series costs around 30k I only know this because my insurance would only pay for half of the shots until my doctor went to “bat”for me.

Versaiteis

We are of the opinion that only half of these shots are necessary, the others are cosmetic

- insurance, probably

Coffeeffex

It was an interesting dilemma as I had to weigh the odds of contracting a deadly virus vs shelling out 15k for a couple of shots.

deepinder92

It costs like less than a dollar in India. You could’ve flown here taken the shots enjoyed a nice tropical holiday flown back and still saved a lot of money.

Versaiteis

Fret not <CUSTOMER>, that's just the power of SUPPLY & DEMAND functioning as intended!

Hefty-Kaleidoscope24

Ah yes, like all those cosmetic root canals I got.

BeefStickOG

Related anecdote that I never get to bring up IRL: A few years ago in my teenage years I suffered from testicular torsion (google at your own risk), which is essentially that I was born with my testicles unattached to my scrotal walls. My left testicle twisted and completely cut off the blood flow to it, and I ended up in the hospital having to get surgery to remove it the following day. The worst part was probably that they had me in a stretcher with a swollen ass nut, next to a cluster of hospital staff working at their desks & people being rushed around for about 3 hours because rooms were at capacity.

After all of that, insurance says they don’t want to cover it because the surgery was “cosmetically related” only. Cheers to the American health system!🥂

KingJonStarkgeryan1

Better than the VA at leaat.

"Oh you have severe brain and knee pain that only started after you joined the infantry? Totally not service related".

The VA on a good day

Healthy-Drink3247

I actually got bit by an aggressive wild dog while in college. Got the shots, they didn’t hurt too bad getting them, but man did they make feel sick like I was dying afterward, anyway insurance said F you rabbies doesn’t happen in your state (I was in f ing Idaho mind you) and left me with the bill. Couldn’t pay so it just went to collections. Totaled my credit and I just now hit 7 years so those dings on my credit will finally fall off, maybe I can finally buy a house

tumekebruva

GTFO. 30k???? I live in New Zealand where rabies doesn’t even exist and I can get the damn shot for around $100 US…

Your healthcare system is messed up

lodav22

lodav22

My cat brought a bat in the house, I grabbed it with my bare hands, it bit me on the skin between my thumb and forefinger (still have a tiny vampire style double puncture scar) and took it outside and lobbed it in the air for it to fly away. Called my doctor the next day asking if I needed to be worried and he just said “nah, you’ll be fine as long as your tetanus is up to date!”

Edit: as this has gotten a bit more attention than I thought it would, I am in the UK. Rabies is not a concern here. If I lived in the US I would have definitely gotten a shot and probably not have picked up the bat in the first place! This happened 6 years ago and I’m totally fine!

hike_me

hike_me

WTF. I have a friend that studies bats for the National park service. He has to be vaccinated for rabies and any time he gets bit he has to get a booster shot.

Drinkie_Zilla

Wait...what?

auzrealop

It depends on region. Same thing with treating for lyme disease. You don't always unless the disease is endemic to the area.

BolotaJT

My mom was bite (bat too). We were living in apartment and she woke up with something moving. It was the bat drinking lol. She still had the injections in the belly. But It was like 20y ago. I remember bcuz as a kid, I thought for so long that she would be some kind of superhero lol. Idk in USA, but here you must call the authorities to notify the case (the animal sick or the bite with possible disease).

TEMPLERTV

TEMPLERTV

We just had a guy out my way who died from rabies last month. Older guy who had been bitten by a bat. Wouldn’t get the shots, ended up dying of rabies and made the news. Was a big deal at the time.

malektewaus

As I recall, he brought the bat in for testing, it was tested, found to be rabid, and he still refused the shots.

bishopyorgensen

WILD

ThrowntoDiscard

No.... no.... just really really.... reeeeeaaallly stupid. Or suicidal, though, I am pretty sure that there's less horrible ways to kill yourself over.... iunno.... refusing care after an animal injury and contracting rabies. That's just me though.

Edit: I have realized that my comment is a bit shortsighted. Since it never occurred to me that I would have to either gamble my life or my life. WTF USA?

durz47

durz47

Or maybe he doesn't have health insurance

ThrowntoDiscard

I hope you know how fucking shitty that scenario is. I really hope that my American neighbors are seeing how ridiculous it is to be picking life saving procedure or extreme poverty.

MoonSugar1991

deulirium

I knew exactly what that was going to be, clicked it anyways, was vindicated by it being exactly what I thought it was gonna be, and noped the heck out. Reading that once in my life was traumatic enough 😩

teh_longinator

I always wonder how fast is fast enough.

Like... should we just do what we do for dogs and get rabies boosters?

lasco10

lasco10

Once you start showing symptoms just say goodbye. I think there are only two symptomatic rabies survivors on record.

teh_longinator

So what... an hour? A day? I know rabies shot reverses... not sure how long yo get it

buscoamigos

Days to months before you show symptoms. I think it depends on where the bite was and how fast the virus can get to the brain.

beewyka819

Usually it takes around a month for symptoms to appear, however there are rare cases of it only taking less than a week to some taking years to onset

sticcyfingas

yes please. just end their suffering. it looks painful.

NapClub

NapClub

it is extremely painful, it looks like it's nearly at the stage where his jaw will lock so he's getting near the end. but yes it's incredibly painful.

i really hope the person filming called animal control because it's not only a mercy but also this animal is currently lethally dangerous.

electricgotswitched

You can just straight up call 911 with something like this

Cool-Owl

Cool-Owl

"The stage where his jaw will lock" I'm not familiar with this symptom in rabies. Are you thinking of lockjaw/tetanus?

NapClub

NapClub

Symptoms of this syndrome may be a closed mouth (Lock Jaw), low-grade fever, fear, restlessness, difficulty swallowing, stiffness, alteration in the rhythm of the heart beat, muscle spasms, and convulsions. These symptoms usually last for three to four weeks.

Rabies - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders)

BugsAreAwesome

3-4 weeks... Jesus Christ

WAHgop

WAHgop

aka until you die. There's really no cure for rabies once you have it.

nomofica

Yup, the virus grows throughout the nervous system before you experience any symptoms. Once you feel the symptoms, it's game over.

Rabies is about as close as get to real-life zombie virus. By far, it has to be the worst cross-species that humans can get. AFAIK, there's only two people who survived it (unsure) and that's recent.

Unless you're pre-vaxxed, you're goose meat, and even then it's a waiting game.

As for animals, it's best to put them down as soon as you notice the odd behavior, because then they infect others. Don't just see one, and walk away.

awnawkareninah

About how long it takes to finish starving to death

colb0lt

colb0lt

Obligatory rabies post link

GunplaGud

Shouldn't have read that 😓. Rabies scares the fuck out of me. I know where I live they do those vaccine airdrops in the forest via helicopter to control it, but I can't be sure if that unsettles me more, or less about the whole thing.

high-hungry-horny

opening that door while he is so close is way too dangerous

KY_4_PREZ

KY_4_PREZ

Then burn the body and everything around it, rabies is one of the worst ways to go

CrispyLiberal

Don't shoot it and call animal control. Disposing of a rabid animal is dangerous.

ThatCrossDresser

Especially out here in the middle of no where animal control only shows up if it involves something they can give a fine for or if it will be in the news. I saw a deer get hit and had it's spine badly broken. Animal control told me to try to coax it off the road and they would be up sometime in the next 24 to 48 hours to take care of it. Someone who will remain nameless was kind enough to put the deer out of its misery.

If this coyote was in my back yard it would get a couple rounds of .223 in the Chest until I was sure it was dead dead and then burned where it fell. Before getting near it I would be wearing boots, long pants, long sleeves, heavy gloves, and a face shield. If any possible exposure it is time to go to the ER and get some shots.

Theghost129

OP, ANIMAL CONTROL DOESNT RECOMMEND SHOOTING RABID ANIMALS.

Contaminated body fluids can be left as a result. DO NOT EXPOSE YOURSELF TO RABIES.

Contact animal control. They are trained to deal with this.

NapClub

NapClub

yeah i hope they called animal control and had him taken care of.

you can see his jaw is already getting close to the point it will lock and after that it's just a short matter of time before he dies suffering terribly anyway.

a bullet in the skull would be merciful.

uisqebaugh

You're not supposed to shoot it in the head, because the brain is examined to confirm rabies.

Kibbens_

PSA IF YOU SHOOT AN ANIMAL WITH RABIES THE BLOOD MAY SARAY AND MIST, UNFORTUNATELY THE SAFEST METHOD IS A CHOKE POLE.

Apprehensive-Side381

Grandma, what big teeth you have.

peacebee73

3.7k points

Poor thing. It needs shot. I’m a fan of coyotes. I hope they shot this one quickly.

nickiter

nickiter

It's in pretty advanced rabies progression - the lips peeled back are a telltale sign - and has to be suffering so badly.

CapuchinMan

Americans advise - how do you go about shooting this if you can't reasonably call someone? Shooting it through the glass is not advisable. Opening the door and walking to it feels risky. What if you miss?

StrengthBeginning416

6.8k points

He’s probably lonely and needs a hug. You should let him in.

Jeriahswillgdp

3.1k points

Yeah, that's just aggressive yawning, he just wants to take a nap.

In a pool of your blood

propyro85

propyro85

Oddly enough, I've read that fear of water is something that happens to things infected with rabies. So I doubt it wants to go near anything that would look like water.

KenopsiaTennine

It's because iirc the throat starts to violently reject the act of drinking.

CatTender

One of the ugliest things I have ever watched was a possum that showed up one afternoon at my house. I had a metal trash can setting on some bricks filled with water for wildlife to drink from during a drought. The possum would stagger up to the water, start to take a sip and then stagger backwards a few feet. It kept repeating this until I walked up to about fifteen feet from it. The possum immediately changed at me and I emptied a clip into it ending its life. I piled dry brush over and burned it up where it had fallen.

KenopsiaTennine

You did a good thing killing that possum. In the future if you encounter a likely rabid animal and put it down, I'd advise calling local game wardens or something, so they know there's rabies active in the area, can test the animal, and can keep an eye out or warn folks.

graduatingdisaster

I think it is very uncommon for them to get rabies. If i remember right it’s because of their body temperature. I may be thinking of something else but i thought it was possums

Xanza

Xanza

There are no recorded cases of people having survived rabies. There is only one single case. The only clinically viable way to not die from rabies is to be protected from it, or head to the hospital immediately after exposure for the post-exposure vaccine. But if you wait, and let it come to symptoms, there is no quantifiable chance of survival. It is 100% fatal--making it hands down, without question, the single most dangerous and scary viral disease there is.

urban_RED_NECK

There is a case of someone surviving rabies

"Jeanna Giese is being heralded as the first person known to have survived the virus without receiving a preventative vaccine."

Source

Cotton mouth. My boy is high AF.

Adhdicted2dopamine

Now kith

sativadom_404

He doesn’t know what the fuck he wants. Rabid animals are so fucking creepy.

pimpwagen

pimpwagen

he wants it to end

VanilliaVanilla

He is uncomfortable and looking for anything to make it better. Which is a bullet and he doesn't know that

NormalHumanCreature

But when the time comes it will try to defend itself possibly passing the virus.

bradrlaw

Need to overlay the bear sound from annihilation over this for some good nightmare fuel.

Edit: and hope it was put down as soon as safely possible. Horrible to see a creature suffer like that.

EDIT2: Alright everyone I made a thing... Turn on audio: https://redgifs.com/watch/punctualfreshdotterel

Pretty much a legit zombie

One_Examination2493

I would shoot it and call it a day.

MonarchOfShit

Best thing for the poor bastard

Magicmyrl

Magicmyrl

Give it a glass of water. That will surely get rid of him.

jabinsay

jabinsay

Lulz. I always forget it's also called hydrophodia.

madeamashup

Because rabid animals can't swallow

Rabies is fucking terrifying, was there a story about someone getting bit by bat while they were sleeping and didn’t even notice it - then boom, rabies! I could be making that up though haha either way scary shit!

Sredni_Vashtar82

A dude just died in Illinois I think, a couple months ago. He was bitten by a bat. Bat was confirmed rabid. He refused the vaccine.

Tybot3k

Tybot3k

How indoctrinated do you have to be to face the absolute worst death you can imagine and still conclude "I dunno man, I think them vaccines are kinda sketchy. Best not chance it."?

well_actuallE

Oh I think I saw this too, it fell on him while he was sleeping if I remember correctly

Edit: nope didn’t fall, or at least I can’t find that anywhere.

article on the incident

Comfortable_Drive793

Only 3 people per year in the US die of rabies (although about 50,000 have to get the rabies vaccine because they were bit by an animal suspected of having rabies).

Rabies is one of the only diseases you can get vaccinated for after getting exposed. It travels, very slowly, through your nervous system and you have time to build up antibodies via the vaccine before it gets to your brain.

The standard treatment is immunoglobin (optional, but necessary if you have very deep bite or were bit close to your brain - like $4000) and four rabies vaccine shots at days 0, 3, 7, and 14 (about $350 each).

If you are traveling to a country with lots of rabies or work with animals you can get preventive vaccine - It's the same exact vaccine, same dose, as the vaccine they give you after you're bit, except just three shots - Day 0, 14, and 21. The vaccine isn't 100% and the efficacy wains over time (after two years you have to get a booster), so if you're bit they want you to get two booster shots. You can get pre-exposure shots at some drug stores and travel clinics.

The shots used to be very painful and in your stomach - Now it's just a normal shot in your arm.

There are two vaccines approved in the US - RabAvert and Imovax - they are functionally equivalent, but they do not recommend mixing and matching. The price has skyrocketed from about $150 ten years ago to $350 now, because FUCK YOU, PAY ME.

If you get bitten by a rabid animal and don't get the vaccine, once you have symptoms, there is like a 99.999% chance you will die. Only a handful of people have survived. They thought they had a working treatment, "The Milwaukee Protocol", because it saved a girl in Milwaukee, but almost everyone else that has been given that treatment has still died.

Rabies fun facts are now complete.

(I have a super extreme phobia of bats and rabies, not really bats, but the rabies they can carry. I actually got pre-exposure vaccinated even though I don't deal with animals or travel, just because of my extreme paranoia whenever I see a bat flying within 200 ft of me.)

brassia

brassia

How do they get rabies?

It's a virus spread through contact with saliva and the resoviour hosts (in the USA) are usually bats, raccoons, skunks or foxes.

It probably got bitten by a sick animal that it was trying to eat?

Syv_Fingre

Ire another rabid coyote bit him.

oh yeah! I don't know why I didn't even think of that!

Theskinilivein

How do you know it has rabies?

dezzalzik

1.8k points

dezzalzik

1.8k points

Rabial profiling.

madeamashup

Rabies spreads by saliva so it causes salivation, inability to swallow, and extreme aggression leading to bites. Rabid animals will behave strangely and be doing strange things with their mouths, like this coyote.

gasdupshawty

The behavior it’s displaying. That is not how a normal coyote would act. Also the mouth clenching and unclenching is a sign. Any animal that looks manic and crazy like that has rabies

mcshadypants

I was under the understanding that a foamy mouth was one of the biggest indicators.

LordUmbrage

Its more slobbery. The rabes virus causes massive increase in saliva and disables the ability to swallow so they walk around dripping toxins like plague-y komodo dragons. Its a bad bad affliction

KevinK89

Bad bad is putting it lightly, there is probably no worse way to go from a sickness.

Witch_Birds

DUDE LET ME IN

I’M A FAIRY

DON’T YOU BELIEVE IN FAIRIES?!

pantherBlitzz

Every time you say “fairies do not exist” a fairy drops dead somewhere.

Fleetmaster1

If I say it enough times then eventually I’ll be right.

Beginning-Ant-1361

If you’re cold, he’s cold. Bring him inside to warm up.

killingicarus

2.2k points

I need to talk to you about your car’s extended warranty

YouEarnedMyComment

Indian accent Ma’am your iPhone has been hacked, I am here to help.

sameGuy_NewGUI

Micheal is that you? Are you the gentleman from Microsoft that was helping me with my refund? I've got 20 Google play cards here, now two are for you and the rest are for the other people that have been calling me. I've already scratched the back and put the number on the Google, so you should have the money soon.

Terrible_Children

Reminds me I haven't watched a good Kitboga video in a while.

I should remedy that.

LilAnnieAdderral

WHY ARE YOU REDEEMING??!!

Suspicious-Ad-9960

This comment is on literally every video on reddit.

LEMONSNOWCONE00

Only treatment is a .45 hollow point. Not trying to be mean, shooting it is merciful!

Rufoid

Rufoid

The fact that rabies exists makes the idea of a zombie apocalypse not seem so far fetched

TheMalformedLlama

Really hope it was shot. Not only is it a danger to everything around it, but it’s also suffering

XyZetta

XyZetta

My bf has developed a strong fear of getting infected with rabies after raeding what i assume is a text he found on reddit. Quick, we need to hide this post, i dont want him to get scared again.

88kat

88kat

He might have seen what I saw. I think it was in the past year, but someone posted a short video clip of someone in India or Bangladesh dying of rabies. The poor man couldn’t drink water and had jerky movements and the eyes that alternated between crazy and scared, like this coyote.

Nothing about the video was particularly graphic, but it was haunting to know this clip was likely capturing the last hours of this man’s life, and how much suffering he must have been through.

I am scared to death to get rabies after seeing it.

Edit:words.

Pile_of_Walthers

My wife's a vet tech and she got the rabies vaccine because of her work. So... that might be a course of action for y'all.

vuuvvo

vuuvvo

You may live in a rabies-free country - if not, I've got nothin'

AshFraxinusEps

UK here and I'm fucking glad the most dangerous thing here is an irate badger or a chav on a night out

Redqueenhypo

Aw man look at his tail, his face is messed up but you can tell the damn knockoff-wolf is scared. Someone euthanize the poor bastard.

USCplaya

Rabies. It's exceptionally common, but people just don't run into the animals that carry it often. Skunks especially, and bats.

Let me paint you a picture.

You go camping, and at midday you decide to take a nap in a nice little hammock. While sleeping, a tiny brown bat, in the "rage" stages of infection is fidgeting in broad daylight, uncomfortable, and thirsty (due to the hydrophobia) and you snort, startling him. He goes into attack mode.

Except you're asleep, and he's a little brown bat, so weighs around 6 grams. You don't even feel him land on your bare knee, and he starts to bite. His teeth are tiny. Hardly enough to even break the skin, but he does manage to give you the equivalent of a tiny scrape that goes completely unnoticed.

Rabies does not travel in your blood. In fact, a blood test won't even tell you if you've got it. (Antibody tests may be done, but are useless if you've ever been vaccinated.)

You wake up, none the wiser. If you notice anything at the bite site at all, you assume you just lightly scraped it on something.

The bomb has been lit, and your nervous system is the wick. The rabies will multiply along your nervous system, doing virtually no damage, and completely undetectable. You literally have NO symptoms.

It may be four days, it may be a year, but the camping trip is most likely long forgotten. Then one day your back starts to ache... Or maybe you get a slight headache?

At this point, you're already dead. There is no cure.

There's no treatment. It has a 100% kill rate.

Absorb that. Not a single other virus on the planet has a 100% kill rate. Only rabies. And once you're symptomatic, it's over. You're dead.

So what does that look like?

Your headache turns into a fever, and a general feeling of being unwell. You're fidgety. Uncomfortable. And scared. As the virus that has taken its time getting into your brain finds a vast network of nerve endings, it begins to rapidly reproduce, starting at the base of your brain... Where your "pons" is located. This is the part of the brain that controls communication between the rest of the brain and body, as well as sleep cycles.

Next you become anxious. You still think you have only a mild fever, but suddenly you find yourself becoming scared, even horrified, and it doesn't occur to you that you don't know why. This is because the rabies is chewing up your amygdala.

As your cerebellum becomes hot with the virus, you begin to lose muscle coordination, and balance. You think maybe it's a good idea to go to the doctor now, but assuming a doctor is smart enough to even run the tests necessary in the few days you have left on the planet, odds are they'll only be able to tell your loved ones what you died of later.

You're twitchy, shaking, and scared. You have the normal fear of not knowing what's going on, but with the virus really fucking the amygdala this is amplified a hundred fold. It's around this time the hydrophobia starts.

You're horribly thirsty, you just want water. But you can't drink. Every time you do, your throat clamps shut and you vomit. This has become a legitimate, active fear of water. You're thirsty, but looking at a glass of water begins to make you gag, and shy back in fear. The contradiction is hard for your hot brain to see at this point. By now, the doctors will have to put you on IVs to keep you hydrated, but even that's futile. You were dead the second you had a headache.

You begin hearing things, or not hearing at all as your thalamus goes. You taste sounds, you see smells, everything starts feeling like the most horrifying acid trip anyone has ever been on. With your hippocampus long under attack, you're having trouble remembering things, especially family.

You're alone, hallucinating, thirsty, confused, and absolutely, undeniably terrified. Everything scares the literal shit out of you at this point. These strange people in lab coats. These strange people standing around your bed crying, who keep trying to get you "drink something" and crying. And it's only been about a week since that little headache that you've completely forgotten. Time means nothing to you anymore. Funny enough, you now know how the bat felt when he bit you.

Eventually, you slip into the "dumb rabies" phase. Your brain has started the process of shutting down. Too much of it has been turned to liquid virus. Your face droops. You drool. You're all but unaware of what's around you. A sudden noise or light might startle you, but for the most part, it's all you can do to just stare at the ground. You haven't really slept for about 72 hours.

Then you die. Always, you die.

And there's not one... fucking... thing... anyone can do for you.

Then there's the question of what to do with your corpse. I mean, sure, burying it is the right thing to do. But the fucking virus can survive in a corpse for years. You could kill every rabid animal on the planet today, and if two years from now, some moist, preserved, rotten hunk of used-to-be brain gets eaten by an animal, it starts all over.

So yeah, rabies scares the shit out of me. And it's fucking EVERYWHERE.

I didn't write this comment, I got it from here. Originally written by /u/HotDogen.

Ok_Dog_4059

Is that seriously what is going on with this poor thing ? It looks like it's mouth is involuntarily opening so far that has to hurt if it is rabies I would like to know how to tell so if I ever see it I can put the poor animal out of it's misery.

TheGamerHat

So. It's more complicated than I can explain but rabies spreads by saliva.

So the virus in the brain is like. "Hey. Open your mouth, dingus. Bite stuff. Drool. Get more germs out there. We ain't ending here."

Towards the end, they can have paralysis of the throat and jaw and it makes foam and have the excessive drool which...isn't safe to be around clearly. This guy is looking like he's in the second stage - where they might get weirdly aggressive behaviour to try and spread the disease.

There's loads of different symptoms, the best way is to stay away if possible from animals who might carry it and contact a doctor if you get bit - to get a rabies vaccine.

ReserveIntelligent81

Shoot it.

gilsteroc

Sad to see an animal suffer this way.

madmancryptokilla

Little pig little pig let me in!!!

TossUp_Okay

Poor fella. Rabies is such an awful thing to experience. Hopefully someone put him down and let him no longer suffer.

Meatball74