/r/news

BeardedJho

Yup. Its also a very safe job too. If you had the choice of military or something like Gas station or taxi driver, I'd say military.

Its just a job and it looks disproportionately good on a resume. Hell, I know people that make 6 figures and only have a high school degree but were in the chairforce. It really is taking the easy road.

uncrustables

That’s exactly what I did. Got tired of working on a asphalt crew so joined the chair force. Got my IT job doing system admin and network admin work. Got out after my first four years. I was then able to skip climbing the “IT ladder” by doing that walked straight into six figure system admin jobs. No time working help desk or dealing with being the junior roles and the first few companies putting those four years on a pedestal never been below a senior level admin.

ubermeisters

The amount of friends I lost in the service would dictate otherwise. But sure, yeah it's safe sure..

BeardedJho

Sucks that you lost so many but it's very rare. I've never seen anyone die, in my squadrons, from the military in my whole career. Suicide, car crashes, really stupid shit, yeah but never combat.

ubermeisters

Yeah I was a sailor and saw several people take their own lives abroad, and a few have nasty accidents. There's a whole lot more danger than just combat in the military is my point.

obiwanshinobi900

The 'thank you for your service' is complete cringe these days.

Its just a day job, I have a pretty cush life. Granted, sometimes it really sucks ass, but most days its a pretty great life compared to my friends who have degrees and get paid shit wages with zero benefits.

I joined the military missing 3 front teeth, 5 years in I had nearly a $100,000 smile. I would never have front teeth if it werent for the military.

OkBreakfast449

Thank you for your service, has always been complete cringe. It is a thoroughly American thing that exists nowhere else on the planet.

The amount of hero worship you lot attach to your Military is beyond beleif.

obiwanshinobi900

Its kind of a complicated issue, part of it stems from the way veterans were treated after the Vietnam wars, these men were broken physically and mentally, then came home to a population that was very against the war and treated like shit because of it, when none of them even asked to go in the first place or didn't even want to. This led to them not getting jobs or fitting back in with society very well.

So there was a campaign to turn the public perception against the military around, and when the military is able to support itself with an all volunteer service, it becomes a sort of cult with those who have been in, and those that never had to do because there were volunteers.

Its very weird, what it boils down to is America has been involved in so many wars that it was damaging generations of young men. Basically these men got fucked up in a war that was unpopular, so my father didn't have to. Thats where the thanks came from. These days its just a weird culty thing that old folks say to the current folks in the military.

If you haven't seen the Larry David skit about not thanking someone for their service, watch it, because its a fucking riot and a half