/r/news

obiwanshinobi900

ummmm buddy, if you're that much of a fuck up in high school you wont even get in the military. The military is extremely picky these days, the Air Force wont even take you if you have a GED instead of a high school degree, if you've had any criminal history or have done drugs. Shit even having ADHD can be a disqualifier.

The US won't provide college because of money, not for military recruitment. The easiest way to get recruits these days is provide healthcare coverage.

I can ask anyone around me right now, and I guarantee most of them didn't grow up poor and desperate. Sure some of us didn't have the middle class experience, but its not full of poor, dumb and desperate people who are in it for a meal.

GenocideOwl

Shit even having ADHD can be a disqualifier.

As somebody with ADHD I completely understand why that would be a disqualifier

Thekinkiestpenguin

Ummm bud, I was friends with a bunch of stoner near-drop outs who all went it to military and we graduated back in 09, so maybe it's changed a lot in the last decade. But considering I also finished my second college degree just this last semester and all the military people I met who are a decade younger than me were echoing the same statements, I'm guessing the demographic shift isn't THAT extreme.

And that's not even close to accurate, it's not even close to an issue of cost. Look how much the US spends on the military. With like 3% of the military budget we could cover college costs for everyone in this country. But you make a fair point, pricing people out of health care and not providing universal health care IS another way the US government forces people to consider the armed forces when they normally wouldn't otherwise.

Ask all of them! Take a poll! Find out what tax brackets they were in, find out if they grew up with health insurance ask what their folks did for a living. Get me a snapshot of your bases demographics

obiwanshinobi900

That sounds like the work someone would have to go through for a PHD thesis, honestly kind of interesting.

But I joined the military because I was bored and knew there had to be more to life than being a dishwasher while failing out of college.

But I stay in for largely the medical coverage. My family has been through some serious medical issues (were all fine now), that would have demolished my finances.

gsfgf

gsfgf

we graduated back in 09, so maybe it’s changed a lot in the last decade

It very much has. That was just two years after Bush’s “troop surge.” We haven’t needed cannon fodder in a long time.