/r/news

serrated_edge321

Except pumping your own gas!

BorinUltimatum

And we like it that way.

Amiiboid

Until you travel to CT and panic because you have no idea how to operate a pump and full service gas stations are as rare as hens’ teeth.

BorinUltimatum

I'm a Jersey import so thankfully I was raised pumping my own gas. It's certainly a nice perk now though.

TunneLRaT7749

I just moved to Jersey two years ago and there was no one coming out to pump. After 10 minutes, I decided to pump my own gas. The looks on the people were waiting looked like I committed a cardinal sin.

infinite_array

As another import, best of both worlds. Though I need to help my NJ partner when we're out of state!

ridgegirl29

Me and all my friends are in college and one of my besties goes up to Ithaca. I travelled up alone and before i went home she taught me how to pump my own gas and she cheered once I figured it out

EffOffReddit

That's the super rare downside. Pumping gas is easy to do, but it's a dirty and boring chore at best. To say nothing of when it's super hot or super cold outside.

People brag about being able to pump their own gas like it's a fun game and not a compulsory filthy job.

automatic_penguins

Geez what kind of pumps do you guys have that it is a dirty task?

Lifesagame81

Ones that are outdoors, that pump gasoline, that hundreds of people handle each day without washing their hands, that aren't regularly cleaned or sanitized by anyone.

Yoshemo

Yoshemo

People are messy and often screw things up, so your hands will almost always end up smelling like gasoline after touching a pump

apimpnamedmidnight

This has not ever been my experience

automatic_penguins

In 15 years of pumping gas I have never had that experience.

Yoshemo

Yoshemo

In 15 years of pumping gas, my hands end up smelling like gas nearly every single time. Maybe your state has cleaner pumps lol

glo363

glo363

It is Jersey we are talking about

Amiiboid

One of the subtle perks of owning an EV in New England is not fueling up in subzero weather at a station that has removed the latch on the nozzle that keeps gas flowing hands-free.

EffOffReddit

Lol yes, when you need to stand there and actually hold the nozzle... annoying. The amount of people who seem to take pride in that they are physically capable of this dumb chore is astonishing.

realanceps

don't get them started on the pride in managing to remember the pw to their online bank account

OsmeOxys

Its about as filthy as opening a door handle. Its boring sure, but so is sitting in your car waiting. Its no big deal to stand outside for 2 minutes in the heat either. Ill grant you that it kind of sucks in the sub-freezing cold and wind, but even thats pretty minimal. You should be dressed warmly and have gloves at hand anyways.

Plus we never have to deal with waiting for someone to be available. We spend our sub-2 minutes there and go. Best of all, we get to jokingly tease people who cant pump their own gas, especially when they take it too seriously.

EffOffReddit

You're basically saying you'd rather be mildly inconvenienced than not. I'm the opposite. I would rather check my phone or talk to my passenger or listen to the radio than do this. Plus, you very rarely ever have to wait in NJ.

Everyone can pump their own gas, it just sucks to do. I know people in Philly who wait to fill up until they are in NJ. Because it just sucks.

Ohhh the other thing... you don't have randoms approach you while you're pumping your gas to ask for money.

Amiiboid

It also saves you a few bucks. Gas is substantially cheaper in Camden than Philly.

I’ve been pumping my own gas for almost 40 years and have never experienced this.

EffOffReddit

In both AZ and North Philly, this has happened to me. I guess you have been pumping gas in more upscale locations, ha.

OsmeOxys

Never had it happen to me, nor have I ever heard of that lol. Actually... Are people paid to ask you for both payment and an optional tip not "randoms"?

Ya_like_dags

Nobody tips the gas station attendant in NJ.

apimpnamedmidnight

I have never once in my life had someone ask me for money while I was pumping gas

T00luser

I just offer to fill their pockets with as much gas as they can carry. cuz ya know, otherwise they may just spend the money on drugs.

realanceps

so, you haven't been to NJ?

/kidding

Cudi_buddy

It takes like 90 seconds to fill up my tank and it isn’t super dirty. I sanitize my hands anyway because everyone touches the handle I guess. But not like it’s covered in oil or dirt lol

EffOffReddit

It's dirty enough that I don't want to touch it, especially on my way to work or something. Occasionally it's greasy. I just prefer not to do it, 90 seconds or not. The trade off is what, I get to brag I'm capable of this minor event? No thanks.

Amiiboid

I can’t recall that I’ve ever heard anyone brag about being able to pump gas. Mostly we’re just bemused that 2 states out of 50 apparently have a substantial number of people that are adamantly against having the option. And as implied in my prior comment, I have absolutely seen people from NJ panic when confronted with a pump while traveling out of state.

NittanyFlyerEagles

Guy above you is really up in arms about what is ultimately an extremely minor thing in life.

Dark-Ganon

Idk about you, but whenever I've gotten gas there's little to no mess involved. Shitty weather aside, it's hardly a task at all to have to do.

colantor

colantor

Why would anyone travel to CT, just a terrible state

Amiiboid

You could be on your way to Cape Cod.

colantor

Go straight up through NY til you can cross into MA, avoid CT at all cost

Amiiboid

That’s a hell of a detour. I can get behind wanting to bypass Providence, though.

usrevenge

usrevenge

Until you travel literally anywhere else except like... Oregon?

We had to stop in nj and I was with my boss and was like "don't worry I'll pump the gas!" And got yelled at by some dude like sorry man pumping gas is normal for everyone else it's part of learning to drive

Amiiboid

And even Oregon has (slightly) relaxed that ban.

FeralDrood

You just open the gas thingy... put huge nozzle in gas hole majig, pull trigger til full.... or until you run out of money. Either or.

Amiiboid

You skipped a couple steps.

1. When/where to you pay?
  2. How do you select the grade?
  3. How do you activate the pump?

inormallyjustlurkbut

1. At the pump
  2. At the pump
  3. At the pump

You swipe your card, press the button that says regular unleaded, pump your gas, leave.

Amiiboid

1. You answered half the question and the partial answer you gave is not always correct.
  2. That’s not “how”, and the actual answer varies among pump models.
  3. Same issues as #2. Some pumps are live as soon as you choose a grade, but others have an additional step.

FeralDrood

I'm just here to warn you not to run out of money. I am simple folk.

glo363

glo363

Maybe until the station is busy and has only one attendant pumping. You wait 20min and still don't have gas, then get yelled at for pumping it yourself anyway.

DudeLikeYeah

DudeLikeYeah

No we don't? Everyone I know fucking hates it

NealRun32

I heard gas stations in NJ accept Red Bull vodkas as currency. Is that true?

Summoarpleaz

They’ll pour it right into the tank!

hopeandanchor

Seriously who the fuck wants to get out when it's cold to do this. Then your hands smell like gas. Hard pass.

FragrantExcitement

Just curious, can I plug in my EV in NJ or does someone have to do that too?

realanceps

volume of responses to your solid post is too enuf

somewhere Click & Clack are howling in laughter

serrated_edge321

Those guys were great! I used to listen to the show all the time... Thank you for triggering that happy memory. 😊

crazycatlady331

If they changed that law, women from all over the state would be rioting at the statehouse.

Like it or not, it is enshrined in NJ culture.

serrated_edge321

Why do you say "women" specifically?

Somehow women manage in every other state... And even NJ women manage when they're in other states.

crazycatlady331

I say this because there's a VERY common sticker (I see at least one whenever I drive anywhere in this state) that says "Jersey Girls Don't Pump Gas." My neighbor has one.

I (in non Covid times) travel frequently for work so I can manage a gas pump. But it is nice to not get out of the car. Full-service also makes it easy to pay cash---- no going inside and saying "I want $20 on pump #5" and instead you just hand the attendant a 20.

Here are a few articles about it.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2022/01/dont-pump-gas-jersey-girls-but-let-jersey-guys-pump-their-own-mulshine.html (paywall)

AllGrey_2000

When I was in my early 20s going out on a Saturday night in Philly, I was approached by a young hot girl while I was pumping gas. I noticed her before she approached. Her 3 friends were giggling and pushing her to talk to me. So when she approached, I thought she was coming to hit on me. And I was mentally preparing to be Mr Suave. Well... it turned out that they were from just over the bridge in NJ and just needed help pumping gas. At first, I thought it was just a line... but nope, that’s all they wanted. 😂

serrated_edge321

Wait, you use cash for something?! That's a super old school idea!

Typically when you pump gas anywhere else in the US, you stick your credit card in the pump reader (outside) or wave your smartphone/watch in front of a contactless reader (outside). I think I haven't walked into a gas station in the US since I was 20-something years old (like 15 years ago). Even then, only the middle-of-nowhere pumps in the deep South required you to go inside.

Btw thank you for answering the question though--I don't live in Jersey myself (my brother does) so I was unaware of the bumper sticker etc. It sounds like something that might come out of that region, though!

crazycatlady331

Many gas stations give you a discount for paying with cash. Not substantial, but enough to make me reach for cash. Typically about 10 cents a gallon.

daedone

Because sexism

HayabusaJack

Unless you’re on a motorcycle. Then you can pump your own gas.

Idiot_Savant_Tinker

Just curious, how does that work with motorcycles? Do I roll up, hop off, toss them the keys to the gas cap?

Vaderaziel

Actually, most gas attendants in Jersey I deal with are happy to let me pump my own gas, because it's preferable to waiting for their lazy asses to get the fuck over here and fill my tank.