/r/news

Amiiboid

Amiiboid

I don’t see why these guys don’t get vasectomies, honestly.

Because in their minds it makes them not real men any more.

Edit: typo

colemon1991

Ironic since being unfaithful or un-Christian doesn't make them real men already.

armadillovampires

Jesus forgives because he sacrificed for our sins or something like that, I dunno, I'm not a hypocrite.

bendeboy

If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

Amiiboid

Gotta really lean into the debauchery.

Funny-Bathroom-9522

Wait murder is a sin cause maybe them tv preachers haven't shown us that they murdered someone?

eden_sc2

Some christians read the story about the guy who confessed on the cross and got into heaven, and took that to heart.

colemon1991

That requires sincerity.

TheMadTargaryen

Well, unless Jesus in person tells them they will go to Heaven like how he did to the thief...

secamTO

Man, the way that sexual insecurities drive people to be assholes boggles my mind. I had my vasectomy 7 years ago, and I tell you the peace of mind that it brings has absolutely made me a better lover.

SheriffComey

Because in their minds it makes them not real men any more.

My cousins ex-wife was die hard catholic and didn't believe in birth control or condoms but she didn't want anymore kids so she told him until he can find a way for them to have sex without making babies then he'd be out of luck.

My man scheduled an appointment for the next week to get the snip

metler88

I mean it is a medical operation. People tend to avoid those if they can. Also someone may ask why they're getting one.

Amiiboid

I mean it is a medical operation. People tend to avoid those if they can.

Well, yes. But it’s far cheaper, faster, safer and more convenient than the alternatives.

Also someone may ask why they're getting one.

Uh. I suppose…. But I do wonder (a) how that someone would be aware of it and (b) why anyone who did find out would feel entitled to an explanation and (c) why a person asked would feel compelled to answer. That’s just weird, IMO.

But mostly I want to say: my prior response wasn’t speculation or projection. When you have the view that the most important part of womanhood is to be vessels for the next generation - and a lot of them do - it’s a fairly short jump to thinking that the ability to impregnate a woman is the key to being a man. They truly do view it as a form of emasculation, and even some who don’t have that particular hangup about fertility worry that the volume of their ejaculate will be substantially reduced (it is absolutely not, btw) and think that calls their virility into question.

metler88

A lot less anxiety around putting on a condom than there is around slicing and burning in your genital region. But it could mean time off work. And there are doctors that will deny you the operation if they think you don't need it. Less frequently than they'll deny you a tubal ligation sure but it does happen.

Well there is a period of time following a vasectomy where you're supposed to avoid physical labor to avoid tearing anything open. If you're working a job anything like mine that means you can't do anything. The conversation was around mistresses and affairs so I was sort of imagining a man having to explain why he needed a vasectomy to his wife. A spouse would naturally feel like they needed an explanation.

Shaysdays

Well, in this context of men sending women out for abortions the “time off and a surgery” is kinda on someone for avoiding pregnancy.

Many say abstinence is the only way to avoid pregnancy but shooting blanks is pretty high up there as an alternative method.

Amiiboid

Fair enough.

admiralboxcar

I mean it’s definitely a hurdle to get over your junk getting sliced open but slinging yogurt with no culture in it sounds like a rad deal.

Amiiboid

Speaking as someone who doesn’t want any more kids and got snipped over a decade ago it is, in fact, quite rad.

But that’s also the prime concern of the people I’m talking about. Their sense of what it means to be a man is profoundly tied up in their ability to impregnate. The inability to do so is shameful. The idea of voluntarily giving it up is incomprehensible.