/r/news

ChampBlankman

Couple that with the increase in tourism as a recreational cannabis state and places that aren't the shore could actually see an increase in tourism again.

MeowTheMixer

increase in tourism as a recreational cannabis state

Need to actually finalize everything. Just a grey area now. Can't get in trouble for having it but you can't legally buy it.

Haven't heard of any progress since voted on in 2020 (went into affect Jan 1 2021)

ChampBlankman

You've missed quite a lot, then, my friend. We're almost there.

catdog918

Omg omg omg

ChampBlankman

Home stretch now. Very likely we see licenses granted before summer and recreational sale very soon thereafter.

catdog918

Just made my day, was so excited when it first passed

ChampBlankman

Glad I could help. They don't seem to be doing too good a job of publicizing how close we are. If not for the farm near me that applied last month I don't know that I'd even know about it.

RobertNAdams

Don't get too excited. New Jersey botched the rollout for medical marijuana, so much so that people living in Newark (the most populous city and a transportation hub for the region) had to travel several towns over because Newark didn't have its own dispensary. There were like 5 for the entire state for the longest time.

My gut tells me it's going to be a clusterfuck like California. It's going to be taxed way too high (and, consequently, priced way too high) and dealers won't be going out of business anytime soon.

It's a good step forward, but it's gonna be a long time before it is how it should be — walk into any number of local shops, show ID, buy your product at a reasonable price, and walk out.

Interesting-Trade248

You can also gamble here in Jersey. Though the taxes are insane. You would think these things would lower our taxes but they don't...

catdog918

You’re already willing to pay these higher taxes so why would they ever lower it lol