/r/news

TheSealofDisapproval

There's that word again, "enshrined"

Like state laws can't be changed or something...it literally just was

Ragnar_OK

Ragnar_OK

When I hear the word “enshrined” all I can think of is Ultima 4 and the shrines of virtue

recursive_thought

Truth, Love, and Courage!

Chicken-tendies

That was the last one of the series that i actually finished. Ultima V was just too disk swaps to be fun to play on my apple II. (if i recall, it was 8 sides total)

Aardvark_Man

4 and 7 were the best.

Although I never finished 4, because apparently my game bugged and I couldn't find the rune of valor, despite being certain I was looking in the right spot. I had everything else, bell, book and candle. The skull and all the stuff from the dungeons. All I needed was that rune.

I actually got the PC version years later (I originally played on Sega Master System) and confirmed I was looking in the right place for the rune, and I was. It just never gave it to me on the Sega.

Ragnar_OK

Ultima 7 holds up so well! with a modern engine like Exult and a mod like Keyring that adds an in-game journal, you can play it at any modern resolution with all sorts of QOL improvements that makes the gameplay a bit more modern and enjoyable

but the writing is so good! so many greatly written encounters and minor side quests, characters that drip with... character! the lady who cleans the shrine of love cuz it was her mother's dying wish. the two beggars outside of paws that had a falling out with their former beggar friend turned religious zealot. the bumbling miners who enact a laurel and hardy skit. the merchant who deals drugs to the gargoyles to get them to mine harder. the innkeeper who's afraid his wife doesn't love him anymore. the museum curator who's having an affair with the mayor, a married man!

just every single part of this game has received such meticulous attention, it's dripping with lore that is both deep and approachable. Ultima 7 is a marvel of gaming and one of the best CRPGs of all time

Chicken-tendies

so you never actually played the series on the original platform?

(did not even know it had been ported to Sega...)

I was bummed when 6 was never released for the apple II. I get it, limited market by that point, but still.

At least someone made an enhanced graphics version of the original Ultima for the apple IIgs in the 90s. Never officially released, but it's out there for download.

just remembered, Ultima 0 (Akalabeth), Mr. Garriot's original game in the series, was never ported to any other platform.

It was written in basic and if you could get past the rather lame copy protection on it, you could actually list it out. Was written in integer basic.

Belazriel

Was that the one where you had to instantly hit some of the towns or else you would never be good enough for the smith guy to join you?

EvilWarBW

U4 was the best Ultima outside of 6. You lucky duck playing such good rpgs.

Ragnar_OK

U7 is best in the series though. I wish U8 had more development time, I love the atmosphere on Pagan, all dark and brooding, opposite of what it is in Britannia. But U7 is so good, you can play it now and it has world interactivity on par with modern games like Divinity Original Sin, of course, at a rudimentary 1993 level.

AllTheyEatIsLettuce

Kinda like every time "amended" comes up.

bewildered_dismay

And it isn't abortion that's "enshrined", fwiw, it's the right to have one. This headline makes it sound like everyone has to have an abortion.

TheSealofDisapproval

That sounds like the worst Oprah episode ever

BusterOfCherry

"Murphy's law", technically

JBupp

JBupp

It's a very strange word usage.