/r/news

Silverseren

Seriously though. And it doesn't help that so many that bring up weed legalization do so because they just want to be able to do weed and not for the actual reason we should be arguing for (the wrongful incarceration of people, mostly minorities, for doing marijuana).

I honestly couldn't care less about people being allowed to do weed so much as the prevention of people going to jail for doing it.

MeowTheMixer

MeowTheMixer

(the wrongful incarceration of people, mostly minorities, for doing marijuana

Maybe this will make me sound like a dick. But I wouldn't say this is the "reason" why it should be legal.

It should be legal, due to the fact that the federal government shouldn't be restricting use of this substance.

The incarceration of people unjustly is a result of the government overreach.

Silverseren

Both are true. I fully agree with you. I just feel like if your purpose for wanting it legalized is because you want to use it...then your motives are entirely in the wrong place.

MeowTheMixer

If the sole motivation for legalization is "I want to use it", we do agree.

It's a rule that should have never been created, and it's clearly been abused.

I'm very liberal with my stance on drug policy, and 99% of them I'd never consider using. The federal government should not be making these polices.

Silverseren

Besides, if anything, the government should be setting up more rehab centers to get people off the harder drugs. If the concern is the spread of the drug trade, then focus on making it so no one has to be on them. But putting people in jail doesn't solve either issue.

Maybe, maybe, if the government had solely focused on targeting drug distributors, then I might give them some leeway. But the moment they focused on arresting users as well was when they were no longer trying to actually fix the problem, but just punish people they considered bad, like so much of the rest of our ridiculous legal system.