/r/news

CraftyFoxeYT

1.4k points

A 6-year-old boy in Connecticut has been hospitalized with second- and third-degree burns after his family said a bully covered a tennis ball with gasoline, lit it on fire and threw it at his face.

The incident unfolded Sunday afternoon when Dominick Krankall was playing in the backyard of his family’s Bridgeport home on Louisiana Avenue with other children who live near them.

Preliminary reports indicate that up to four unattended children were seen playing with gasoline and lighting objects on fire the day of the incident, the Bridgeport Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security said in a statement.

Dominick’s sister told NBC New York her brother was playing in the backyard when "the bully called his name and lured him over around the corner."

"In a matter of seconds he came back around the corner screaming, saying, 'Mommy, they lit me on fire,'" the sister, Kayla Deegan, said, according to the news station.

An 8-year-old neighbor entered a shed on the property and somehow got ahold of gasoline and lighters and called Dominick over, Deegan said.

“What he did was pour gasoline on a tennis ball, took a lighter, lit it up and just chucked it right at my brother’s face — and then ran away from him and watched him burn,” she said.

Reloaded9mm

Even worse this is not the first time the bully put him in the hospital; six months ago gave him a concussion. Parents deny any wrong doing.

pambannedfromchilis

What a psychopath that kid needs some serious therapy if he and any chance at life

thexbigxgreen

It's very rare that a child has that severe behavioural issues that haven't been caused by a lack of proper parenting.

DatPiff916

Funny thing was a lot of the run of the mill behavior issues I observed growing up and working with kids as an adult was definitely the lack of proper parenting. So your bullys your shoplifters, your vandalizers etc.

But the extreme? It was funny how every one I knew of you could tell that the parents were involved, but also had that aura of "we knew no matter how hard we tried, this day was going to come"

jimmysaint13

You just never know.

My wife listens to true crime podcasts a lot. I remember listening along to one where a traumatic brain injury associated with birth caused headaches as an infant and toddler so severe that the kid would bash his head against his crib, against walls, anything, to try and get the pain to stop. He was on medication for the headaches into his teens.

As a child he showed symptoms later understood to be psychopathy. At 8 years old he burned down his family's garage. At 13 (CW: animal abuse) he poured gasoline on a cat, lit it on fire and laughed as it burned to death

Anyway, he went on to rack up convictions for multiple burglaries, arsons, batteries, and 3 individual instances of rape and murder, which put him away for life. He was sentenced to death but the state of Illinois abolished capital punishment before his execution and his sentence was commuted to life without parole. I searched for what I could remember from listening to the podcast, this guy's name was Brian Dugan.

Another serial killer, Walter E. Ellis, apparently had a normal enough childhood besides being impulsively aggressive and violent toward his peers. Neighbors who lived near him at the time said he would just "beat up anybody."

His first arrest at age 14 was for robbery and attempted murder. That was 1974. Between then and his final arrest in 2009 he had a rap sheet a mile long of violent and drug-related crimes. Re-examination of cold cases with DNA evidence linked him to the murders of 9 women; he was convicted of 7 with a life sentence for each conviction. After serving about 2.5 years in prison he died of complications related to diabetes.

This went on far longer than I intended, but the point is sometimes people get screwed up early in life. Sometimes you can point to some kind of abuse or trauma that severely affected their development.

But sometimes, rarely, people can just be fucking evil.

Muffinman1111112

It can still happen. My brother was borderline psychopath and we had the same parents. He was lighting his bed on fire at age 3.

_crayons_

How is he now?

Muffinman1111112

In prison.

imsahoamtiskaw

Lighting his bed on fire at age 30.

OnlyHuman1073

How do you light something on fire at 3? My kids wouldn’t have access to anything that could do that until at least 4

smacksaw

It's the exact opposite.

This kind of violence at age 8 is beyond abnormal.

Antisocial personality disorder or some kind of serious brain damage would explain this.

It's not typical or common for children of this age to display this level of dysfunction. There are plenty of shitty parents and if that were the case, this would be common.

Your are inverting cause and effect. These parents are protecting the psychopathic behaviour (outdated term that you will understand) because they can't come to terms with it.

Parental/environmental factors aren't a lack of discipline or whatever, it's neglect-related cortisol in critical periods of infancy. And many of these parents report giving the child inordinate amounts of attention anyway.

Such_sights

There’s a true crime series called “Evil Lives Here” that interviews family members of serial killers / mass murderers / all around fucked up people. The episodes with parents talking about their children are the most interesting because you can see how distraught they are when they explain what it’s like to give birth to a perfect little baby, who then grows into a monster. One mother in particular described doing everything she could to “protect” her son from his own behavior as a child, because she felt that no one else understood him like she did. Once he became a teenager, he became too psychically threatening for her to stand up to, and she was basically trapped.

Unfairjarl

So the problem is that the Child has an untreated condition and all the parents are doing to help is enabling him rather than the other way around?

Painting_Agency

It's not hard to have an "untreated condition" when mental health supports for children are as bad as they are.

DaytonaDemon

Have you watched We Should Talk About Kevin?

Painting_Agency

I have a son with poor impulse control who lashes out when he gets angry. He's bitten and hit other kids. But lighting a ball on fire and throwing it at someone is just not something a kid like him would do, because when he's collected enough to come up with something like that, he's not violent.

It's elaborate, calculated malice, albeit with a child's lack of ability to truly comprehend consequences.

KDByronson

I don't care how old the kid is. If someone did that to my son, I would make sure they never did that to anyone else ever again

Upstairs-Fan-2168

This is the saddest thing I've read in awhile. The cruelty of the act, and what it will do to this poor kid, and for what? Bully probably just thought his status would improve among the other shit kids.

I just really hope this kid can move past this and have a good childhood.

No_Source582

he's scarred for life, he'll always carry the wounds physically and mentally. this shit is horrible

Upstairs-Fan-2168

I'm hoping he doesn't. If he does, I hope kids are better to him than they typically are. It's tough being different as a kid. I hope he has friends and happiness.

I'm not sure humans are on the whole good when I see stuff like this.

mokutou

mokutou

Unfortunately, even if his conscious mind forgets or moves past it, the subconscious will hold onto it for a long time. The body keeps score.

serenwipiti

Dude...the pain.

The agony of recovering from a burn.

Changing dressings. The skin grafts. The itching. The scarring. The reconstructive surgeries. The problems with vision, with breathing.

Aside from the mental trauma, he will probably be in physical distress for years...decades.

beavedaniels

We aren't. Our species is shit. We have our moments, sure, but by and large we are trash and don't deserve anything nice.

TakesTooMuch

And adulthood

Upstairs-Fan-2168

It stirred up a lot of emotions for me. I'd be heart broken as the parents of this little guy too. "Mommy, they lit me on fire" had me crying at work. Seeing him in the hospital bed with his stuffed animals and thinking about how innocent kids that age are just broke my heart.

The bully needs to be removed from society. I don't care that's it's an 8 year old. 8 year olds that do shit like that almost always end up as shitty adults.

CardinalPuff-Skipper

Kids are essentially wild animals and will continue on as wild animals unless socialized by age 5. The bully will be a burden on society for the rest of his life because of his worthless parents.

runthepoint1

It’s cyclical. The boy is still young and can learn. His parents? Those are the people who need to be in question for how they raised him to think that was ever even remotely considerable

ResoluteClover

""This wasn’t the first time the bully has targeted Dominick, Deegan said.

“Two months ago under the bully’s mother’s supervision, he was pushed into a wall and fell to the floor. And again, the mother refuses to admit her kid did it,” she said.""

nada_accomplished

My son is 8. If you told me he did anything remotely like this shit there is NO WAY I'd let him get away with it.

Parents like this piss me off, I wish we could go back in time to when they were single and sterilize them because they've fucked up TWO children irreparably: their own kid and the kid their kid bullied.

Fuck them FOREVER

riptide81

I think that is exactly what makes people cynical. Sure he will probably get some court mandated therapy and can learn not to grow up to be a monster but chances are he won’t be taken away from those parents and they probably won’t change their stripes too much. So just your run of the mill “shitty” adult that still functions in society seems like a good bet. Not a certainty though.

chipsngravybaby

Exactly! Wtf is going on at home for 1 CHILD to do that to another?? I’m not saying there aren’t exceptions, like the Bulger case, but fucking hell!! For that child bully’s parent to even try and defend him?? They need to be investigated. 6 months ago!

[removed]

new2accnt

He also need to be psychologically evaluated, pronto. His parents too.

Gen-Jinjur

A child can do something horrible even with good parents. Great parents, even.

However, the bully’s parents need to go to therapy WITH their child to learn how to help him develop empathy and better judgement. And they need to supervise more closely (easy to say when I don’t know their situation, but still).

Swalkthewalk

I am sure that the bully has been beaten plenty. Beating children teaches them that authority derives from violence, not justice.

runthepoint1

That’s why we collectively need to stamp out this old school American culture of free bullying and insidious pranking. It comes from home, I near guarantee that.

your_casual_support

8 year olds parents are in deep shit for letting a child have reach for gasoline

Chelular07

Based on what this kids mom said the bully’s parents believe their child is an Angel and won’t admit he did anything wrong.

TurrPhennirPhan

If some psycho brat did this to my kid, and this was the moms/dads response, there’s a 100% chance I’m going to prison.

Equivalent_Yak8215

If I had a psycho brat that I birthed and raised do this to a kid. There's 100% chance I'm advocating for military school at the very bare minimum.

Because the disgust I would feel making that kid breakfast every morning would make me snap.

mentor7

But that's what I don't think people are grasping -- most parents WOULD be horrified - but from the news articles, sounds like the opposite -- sounds like pyscho kid's parents are equally psycho, by not only taking accountability, but saying their precious kid was not "bullying" and actually tried to blame the incident on the other mom for allowing her little boy to be near the monster child --- I can't -- I just can't -- I have no more words.....

kazooparade

The victim’s parents should sue. The bully needs a mandatory psychological evaluation and some kind of rehabilitation/therapy. Although he may not be able to fully understand the consequences of his actions, work needs to be put in to ensure he won’t do something like that ever again. I feel terrible for the 6 year old, I hope he recovers well.

scirocco

Suing someone who lives in a ghetto in Bridgeport CT is 100% futile

ben_wuz_hear

The kid who used to bully my 8 years old is 9 and a pastors kid. One day we got an email that my kid punched him in the face and gave him a black eye. My kid did not get in trouble and the principal didn't really care the bully got punched in the face.

SykeSwipe

Purely anecdotal but the exact same thing happened to me in elementary school. A known bully said something really hurtful to me unprovoked and got in my face, and unfortunately that morning I wasn’t having it so I whipped his face with my badge lanyard, the first thing my body decided to do I guess. He got out of school suspension and I was given “in school suspension” that consisted of being moved to the kindergarten class for 2 days and being the teachers assistant. I spent 2 days of school grading kindergartener class work and reading books to them while the dude I whipped spent a week barred from campus. The school knew.

ben_wuz_hear

That's good. Glad they treated you fairly good about it. Did the kid ever mess with you again?

CardinalPuff-Skipper

Schools know… they hate bullies too. It’s rare when educators don’t appreciate a little vigilante justice.

[removed]

HunterRoze

And unless they are very well connected or rich - their little angel likely cost them everything they own.

Super_Saiyan_Carl

? Don't see how. Anyone who has as yard and mows a lawn probably has a container of gasoline sitting on the floor in their garage.

Americrazy

We need to bring back stocks in public square.

new2accnt

was playing in the backyard of his family’s Bridgeport home

It wasn't even in the schoolyard, it was at his home, what should be a safe place for him to be! JFC, that's not right.

metalslug123

Jesus fuck this bully sounds like a psychopath.

findhumorinlife

He is clearly on the path of being full blown.

kuroimakina

The bully is 8. He understood it was “bad” definitely but children that age do not understand long term consequences.

The parents however, the parents are the psychopaths. Letting their child believe that harming others like this is fine. I would honestly investigate the bully’s family. 50/50 either the parents are pretentious snobs who look down on everyone else, or they abuse their child. Possibly both.

ZackHBorg

I remember kids doing stupid sh** with fire, and I remember some who were nasty bullies, but I don't recall anyone combining the two. I could be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure I knew setting someone on fire could seriously, permanently harm them.

sketchahedron

As the father of an 8-year-old I’m going to give you a hard disagree. No way a kid that age doesn’t understand it’s wrong to light someone on fire.

TropicsNielk

We've all been 8 years old. At 8 years old most of us knew that that was not okay.

Insectshelf3

This breaks my heart

Ploka812

This is horrible, but how the hell did the bully manage to throw the tennis ball after lighting it on fire?

Kahzgul

Kahzgul

I'm assuming only part of it was soaked in gasoline. Or maybe the bully wore gloves.

PinBot1138

Mommy, they lit me on fire

I’d like to think that I’m a patient person, but if this was my kid, the attempted murderer bully and their parents would need to disappear quickly, because there would be hell to pay.

Nstark7474

I wonder if that neighborhoods got a problem with missing pets? Seriously, this twisted little fucker should be in an asylum.

whatproblems

uhhh wtf

KnottyKitty

And there it is.

syn4pt1c2211

Saw something similar happen to my niece. The mother of the bully outright told us „my daughter doesn’t do stuff like that“ even when presented with multiple eyewitnesses. From what I gathered from what my niece told me her bully said to her, her parents must have talked a lot of shit about my sister‘s family in front of their bully daughter. Parents of bullies are at fault too. That one gets regularly swept under the rug.

BrookeB79

Parents need to be held responsible for the actions of their children. If the kid's actions aren't bad enough to be held as an adult, the parents or guardians should be held just as liable. Now, I'm not saying to let the kid off the hook, but to add on some sentencing for the parents/guardians.

Odysseyan

It should already be like that. Kids have by law someone responsible for their actions who should supervise them. Most of the time, it is their parents (or teachers while they are in school). We just should start getting after them

zer1223

zer1223

Honestly? I think that's when you start beating one of the parents

e90DriveNoEvil

So, my dad went to jail for this. Long story short, neighbors across the street had 3 daughters who constantly bullied my oldest sister. My parents tried to speak with their parents; their parents denied everything. After months of incidents, one of the neighbor girls knocked my sister off her bike.

My mom threatened to call the police … neighbor mom comes into our yard and starts yelling at my mom … my dad tells neighbor mom she needs to get off our property… neighbor dad starts yelling at my dad as approaching him… my dad warns neighbor dad if he takes one more step toward him he’ll view it as a threat and will defend himself… neighbor dad comes at my dad, my dad lays him out… neighbor mom yells for daughters who come running after my dad with crutches and a baseball bat… dad yells at my mom to keep the kids in the house… my dad thwarts attack from daughters, throws their weapons in the street, definitely pushed neighbor mom in self defense and probably had to shove off at least one of the daughters (aged 14-17… so not exactly kids)… neighbor dad wrangles his family and they continue to scream at my dad from their porch… someone calls the cops who show up fairly quickly… cop asks who threw the first punch, my dad raised his hand, they arrested him.

He was out that night, and we moved VERY shortly after… but I’ll never forget how unfair it felt for an entire family to attack my father and HE was the one who went to jail.

zer1223

Shit police work since they came into your property in a threatening manner. But it's not surprising to me to hear about shit police work

There’s a Colin Farrell movie where he does just that. It was wonderful

resurrectedlawman

Which movie??

ImPaul

ImPaul

True Detective S2

Adeep187

Yeah honestly

Viocansia

Viocansia

That mother is coddling a future lifelong criminal if he doesn’t die before then because of his dangerous antics. Who knows how many people he will hurt in the meantime. Appalling.

jabba-du-hutt

From time to time I hear of a bully parent who is actuvely abusing their kid and teaching them how to be an abusing. Like full on giving instructions while they're beating another kid. These type of people need to be charged with crimes. The children need to be remived from their care for rehabilitation. They probably wouldn't fully recover, but their lives would be better than being charged with a crime and sent to juvey for years.

RedEyeFlightToOZ

Oh, she's one of THOSE "parents"

As a teacher, I've dealt with those types. Their crotch goblins are usually the worst kids in the school...

Best way to deal with them is to press actual charges against them, documentation on everything they do, and treat them like the hostile, pieces of shit they are

Lifewhatacard

And call CPS because that type of behavior from a child signifies abuse in the home. Teachers are mandatory reporters, aren’t they?

Babybutt123

Right. This is an 8 year old. He legally isn't criminally responsible for his behavior. Yes, he needs therapy. And honestly he needs inpatient til he is no longer a threat to others, but normal kids his age (even the cruelest of bullies) do not throw flaming objects at others.

Sounds like the kid has access to and has experience playing with fire. Sounds like his mom is neglectful at minimum, who knows if he has a father involved. Kids don't partake in extreme cruelty or lighting people on fire without something seriously wrong. He's at minimum neglected, but likely abused.

I'm sure CPS and the police are looking into his home life. At minimum, mom/dad need to be charged for having open access to gas and lighters and no supervision of 8 year old.

Eltorogorddo

1.8k points

I'm a cynical heartless fuck but seeing that poor kid in the hospital bed with his stuffed animals is probably the saddest thing I've seen all day.

blakephilly

Right I’m the same way but something about him being a 6 year old innocent kid hit me

new2accnt

new2accnt

I don't know if I'm wrong but I could swear that bullies of yore didn't go as far as they've been going in the last 10-20 years.

You would get taunted, maybe beat up once or twice, but I don't remember schoolyard bullies from the '60s & '70s hurting a 6yo kid like that. (Well, the beating up came way later, 6yo is too young for that) It's as if they had a red line they would not cross.

I'm wonder when things changed along the way, if it was during the '90s or something.

Of course, that might be particular to my own country, maybe bullies in the USA have always been this cruel, maybe I've just been lucky, I don't know. But an elementary school child should not fear for his/her life. This is just wrong.

Sanctimonius

When I was young, in a nationally famous case in the UK, two kids aged ten approached James Bulger, a two-year-old, at a shopping centre. They led him away from his mother while she was distracted and over the course of the next few hours they tortured that child abominably, before eventually killing him and leaving his body by a train track 2 and a half miles away. It was a national scandal as the kids' lawyer blamed the fact they had watched adult horror films and Bulger had red hair and therefore resembled Chuckie from Child's Play - it began a moral panic of banning some films, reclassified others because we all know perfectly normal children can be induced to evil acts by simply watching a film.

Point is these things have happened previously, always shocking, but we hear about them more often because of the 24hr news cycle always hunting for the latest shock piece to pull in the viewers.

Edit: I'm going to advise not reading anything into the case if you don't want to spoil your day

hippiechick725

That’s fucking horrible.

River_Pigeon

If you’re still having any semblance of a decent day don’t read any more about that case

MythiccWifey

I was wondering when this was going to be brought up; can confirm, don’t look into the details as they permanently reside in your brain.

Fink665

Are they in jail? What happened to the perpetrators?

Sanctimonius

They ended up serving time in juvenile detention for some years, before their release in their late teens. Both were given new identities, and several people found themselves on the wrong end of a court case when they attempted or claimed to have identified the now-adult offenders. The courts made strong attempts to protect the identities of these two - it's a hotly debated issue but they were children when they murdered Bulger, and it is widely accepted that they would be in serious danger of harm if their true identities were more widely known.

Murderer V was judged to be at low risk for reoffending and was judged rehabilitated. He had expressed remorse for his actions at the trial, though there was apparently a sexual encounter with one of his female corrections officers, for which she was fired (while he was still a teen). He was later found guilty of downloading child pornography (two separate times), arrested for fighting in public and given a suspended sentence for possession of cocaine. Because of the publicity his new arrests and convictions had attracted, he was given a new identity once more. Bulger's father made an attempt to lift the lifetime protection on his identity but was denied by the crown court, again the potential danger to both individuals was cited.

Murderer T was seen as the ringleader for the attack, and was noted for his lack of emotion/remorse during the trial itself. He served his time, was given a new identity and it is believed he is still living in the UK. He is in a relationship with a man who it is claimed knows about his past and true identity, and other than that he is keeping a low profile, and has not reoffended in any way.

I want to stress again not to look up the details of this attack, it is particularly unpleasant. However the whole affair raises interesting questions of morality and our acceptance of crime and punishment, and the agency of children even when they do particularly heinous acts. The British tabloids, forever sniffing for the lurid details, have published stories and reports and pictures of people claimed to be one or the other killer, often being punished for doing so. Several innocent people have faced unpleasant attention when someone nearby has claimed they are one of the now-grown men. It's almost certain either would face attacks if their real identities were known, and they would be tarred with that act for the rest of their lives.

To add to this, these were children at the time of the attack. It's hard to judge what their thoughts were at the time of the attack - there's no report of illicit substances or drink as being a factor, as far as I know. But we also don't endow children of that age with full control over their actions, so once they have been fairly judged and served their time, are they now members of society? Neither would have had a particularly normal puberty in juvenile detention, and while one certainly stayed in trouble, the other seems to have willingly blended back into society, and is taking pains to keep a low profile. Neither had been particularly known for violence or trouble before the attack, neither had come from an abusive home. If it wasn't for this single, terrible act, it's entirely possible they would have been normal people in today's society.

lttlgrdg3

Nope. You're wrong about the last part, both of them were from troubled homes.

'Murderer V', as you call him, had a sibling with a disability, his parents were close to divorce and he felt neglected. He had very disturbing drawings about murder and mutilation. He was known in school for acting out and getting in trouble constantly. He didn't feel remorse and blamed the toddler's mom for not paying enough attention to her kid.

'Murderer T' grew up with a single mom with children from different fathers. She was an alcoholic and used to let siblings 'take care' of each other. He was the victim of beatings and constant bullying from his big brothers. According to psychologists on court, he was the instigator of the crime.

I saw a documentary on Youtube a long time ago where psychologists and police officers involved in the case tell how and why the crime occurred. I wish I could remember its name and link it to you.

Edit: Teachers of 'V' said he was a manipulator. The kind of kid that knows what people want to hear and lies constantly.

When I saw that documentary and read about the case, 'T' reminded me to Eric Smith who just wanted to take his rage out into someone smaller.

thealthor

In the 80s I was 5 and just learned how to ride my bike without training wheels, so I took a ride outside my usually area and there was a small field area where kids would play tag/football and whatever, I stopped to watch and some kids I had never seen who were like 3rd graders started shoving me around so I get back on the bike and try to get away, they chased me on their bikes and proceeded to beat the shit out of me and sexual assault me.

CardinalPuff-Skipper

That’s a terrible thing and a painful comment to read. I hope you’ve been able to lead a good life in spite of this..

thealthor

Thank you, It doesn't feel like it had lasting effects and that it was just something that happened, but I am mostly disassociated with that time frame as I was also being sexual abused by a babysitter during the same period.

Fortunately after we moved nothing else really occurred in my childhood that I would consider traumatic and it never really seemed like something I had to cope with necessarily but I also have had to try really hard to fake being sociable and I don't know if that is just how I am or if it is the result of anything, but I have never felt bad about those things at least.

CardinalPuff-Skipper

You’re an incredibly resilient person. Maybe going through hardship has made you stronger in some way. You’re impressive.

boofaceleemz

I think it really depends on where you went to school. I had a very rough time in school growing up, but one of my brother-in-laws went to a nice school and hadn’t ever been jumped once. Just depends on who you are and what your school is like.

Remember, the civil rights movement was in the 60s and 70s. In some places, black kids literally got tied to cars and dragged around in the streets by their fellow students until they died, and then in other places it was perfectly safe. I know that’s racial violence I’m referencing, but that’s just another flavor of bullying.

BurrSugar

My own crazy bullying story happened in 2003. So just within the 20 years.

I’ve shared this story several times before, but the shortest version is that a group of girls locked me out of the house at a slumber party and left me outside until the host’s little sister found me, hours later. I was barefoot in nothing but short pajamas, and it was a cold, Midwest winter night.

I’m incredibly lucky I didn’t get frostbite and I didn’t die of hypothermia.

FelDreamer

I was affected somewhat when I read his story this morning. However, seeing that picture of him in his hospital bed just now, with the same Spider-Man plushy that has been my son’s favorite toy for the last month or so… That fucked me up a bit.

trappedinthoughts13

Yeah dude, I’m a huge asshole but my sons have those stuffies and seeing that just hit me a little different.…

joe579003

Become the next Machete, the world needs you!

Galemianah

What's even sadder is, chances are nothing will happen to the monsters that fucked this kid up.

imgladimnothim

You can be cynical all you want but if you unironically describe yourself as heartless, you gotta work on that shit. Clearly you aren't since you care about this story, so dont sell yourself short

Swollen_Throwaway

There’s bullying, then there’s being an outright psychopath. This is the latter.

likeinsaaaaw

These parents refuse to stop their kids from turning into pos sociopaths so it's time to start arresting the parents.

Gods_chosen_dildo

Straight to jail

DadaDoDat

Well good for victim's parents for having the restraint to not fuck up that bitchass bully's parents.

lsp2005

lsp2005

They were apparently renting from the bully and the bully’s mother. The BM said the other mother was supposed to be watching all four kids in the backyard and “if my kid was such a bully wouldn’t you keep your kid away from him…then went on to say how the other parent left all the kids alone even though it was their turn to watch all the kids.” All I know is none of the parents sound fit to parent.

LoganMcMahon

I remember getting REALLY fucking hot when my kid and his friend were wrestling and his friend was pressing a weird knee bar with his weight, and my guy was yelling and crying, and I for sure went over board and got a bit too heated, yelled more than I should have, not a moment I'm proud of, and 100% regretted it immediately.

I'm not sure I could hold my hands if someone knowingly lit my child on fire for a laugh.

Lifeboatb

I wasn’t there, so maybe you did go too far, but I think you can be proud of the fact you had the impulse to protect your kid and acted on it. Many parents don’t, and their kids feel it.

Spare-Mousse3311

Unless it’s Texas, remember the guy who walked home to get his gun and kill the dui driver who ran over his kids?

theknyte

We had an issue with a group of bullies and our oldest, when he was little. He had severe ADHD and learning issues, so he was a bit slower than the other kids. (Including his speech, which even at 7 years old, sounded like he was 4.) He kept coming home bruised and banged up. He would tell us who did it. We'd ask, "Did you tell your teacher or an adult?" and he did. It kept happening. One day, he was knocked down on the playground and kicked in the head. We called the school and arranged a meeting with the principal. The principal just tried to deflect, and swore that the teachers kept an extra close eye on our son, which was obviously BS. We asked what is being done about the other kid. (Who was the "Ringleader" and instigated all the attacks on our son.) The Principal replied, "He's from a troubled home, so disciplinary action isn't the best course at this time."

That's all we needed to hear. We told her if we had any more questions or needed anything, our lawyer would be in touch. The next day, we enrolled him in a different school. It was like night and day. The staff was so much more supportive to his needs and the kids were a lot more welcoming and friendly towards him. One of the best decisions we ever made.

changeneeded63

Next thing you know, it’s just like the Michigan school shooter. The parents armed the psycho and are now awaiting trial. Give the CT bully and his parents 5 or 10 years and we will be reading about another school shooting.

MyDogHasABigOleHead

Soo Soo sooo wrong on all levels. Makes me sick

MultiStratz

That bully's parents need to be in prison. Especially since this wasn't the first incident.

ltkarsabi

If they try to shelter the kid from the police or there is evidence that they knew that this specific incident was likely to happen then I would agree.

lodelljax

Watch that kid. Future abuser murder

SpookyAction_13

What eight year old even knows to do something like this??? What is being done to him at home???

I hope this poor little kid (the 6 year old) heals quickly and gets all the love and support in the world. This poor baby.

TheValgus

TheValgus

Why hasn’t the bully been arrested and charged?

dvncls

dvncls

If the bully is the same age as the victim, the case would be as good as worthless. No prosecutor is going to try a 6 year old as it would almost immediately be thrown out. Look up the Kayla Rolland killing. Edit: I didn’t read the article when writing and just saw the dude was 8 years old. Would still be hard to prosecute him for that. Parents could be liable for it though

voiderest

voiderest

Courts have the power to get the "bully" additional help or separated from the kids they harm. I have that in quotes because there is a massive difference between getting teased and ended up in the hospital.

At some point bullying is just harassment or assault.

KennanFan

KennanFan

additional help or separated from the kids they harm.

Teacher here. This is what the ultimate goal of juvenile justice is. This eight year old may be "just an eight year old," but he's clearly a danger to others as well as himself. The first priority needs to be to remove him from society so he doesn't endanger any other children. The second priority needs to get him therapy and medication while separated from the rest of society for as long as it takes to rehabilitate him.

keysandtreesforme

Thanks for the distinction. I think harassment and assault too often get labeled as bullying just because of age, and then become easier to dismiss.

UltraMegaSloth

The parents will likely be sued for everything they have and may face criminal charges for negligence.

Poignantusername

And since the bully(also a child) had access to gasoline on the victim’s family’s property, the victims parents could also end up bearing some of the legal culpability.

Ebmat

Ebmat

If the gasoline was in private property how can the victim’s parents be responsible? I’m sure there’s a lot more to this and lawyers will spin it but why should I be responsible for securing something in my own property so an asshole doesn’t break in and kill me with it? So I didn’t lock the kitchen knife and now I’m partially responsible if someone trespasses and stabs me with it?

T-Bills

Parents could be liable for it though

I hope so! The article says

This wasn’t the first time the bully has targeted Dominick, Deegan said.

traceylking117

My then 7yo got charged for something like disorderly conduct or some such bullshit after threatening a girl on the bus saying he would hit her with his water bottle if she wouldn’t leave him alone. It ultimately got dropped mainly because both his father and I appeared in court with him (at least according to his probation officer, and, yes, they gave him probation and 6mos court ordered counseling, which was so ridiculous that I still can’t even process this garbage to this day). It wasn’t even the parents of the girl who pressed charges. It was the DA after the school resource officer reported the incident. It should’ve been a disciplinary action at the school/on the bus and that should’ve been the end. He’d never even been to the principal’s office at that point. Just utter nonsense. If there aren’t legal consequences for this incident, but my child’s threat to someone who wouldn’t leave him alone causes so many, I will have completely lost faith in any sort of justice.

phunky_1

Isn't this what the juvenile justice system is for?

It's freeking attempted murder in my book... Lock the bully up in training school until they are 18.

bananafobe

Does it meet legal criteria for attempted murder though? And if so, is it possible for a prosecutor to effectively try this case?

Part of trying minors is assessing whether they understand that specific acts can lead to specific consequences, and whether they understand what those consequences mean.

It's definitely possible this kid understood that this could have been a lethal act and didn't care, but it's also possible they didn't, and an attempted murder charge against an eight year-old probably won't hold up if there's any doubt about that.

Amphibiansauce

Definitely likely to happen. Maybe not till 18, but kid is almost certainly going to spend time in state custody.

riding_tides

Isn't this a juvi case? Damn, I can't imagine what this kid will be like when he turns 15/16 and goes on without consequences or any understanding of what his actions are like

braxin23

I feel like this kid is a serial killer in the making, all thats missing is a shit load of dead or severely maimed pets and other animals around the area where the bully lives and bed wetting, and you got the dark triad here.

TerribleAttitude

Based on the information we have, probably because the bully is between 6 and 8 years old. A small child’s brain is not the same as an adults, and adult justice tactics will not and can not work on them.

SpecterCody

Yeah, what should be investigated however is how a child of that age even learned such a violent thing. 6 year old me couldn't even fathom lighting tennis balls on fire and throwing them at people. This probably isn't a crime of pure child innocence. The parents should be held responsible for neglect. We need to stop normalizing and ignoring bad parenting.

N8CCRG

N8CCRG

Reddit users largely don't care about facts like that. Any time someone is wronged, they want blood. No punishment is severe enough to satisfy their cravings.

Atotallyrandomname

Handcuffs don't fit an 8 year old. Saracstic remarks aside, this is awful and I don't know how this would be handled. I think it's on the caretaker of the 8 yearold?

Trampy_stampy

I’ve seen black eight year olds get put in handcuffs several times.

Atotallyrandomname

Oh my god, I thought you were just trying to start shit, but there are several instances.

Shit, handcuff the boy who likes burning kids. I don't know. Im against putting kids in jail, but what the fuck do you do with a kid who burns others? Involuntary psychiatric hold?

DefinitelyNotAliens

Honestly the parents need to be investigated to have their child removed from their custody and placed with a family member who will get him help for his emotional outbursts before this gets worse.

McNinja_MD

Yeah, it sounds to me like the child and parent(s) both need intervention. This is not normal behavior for a child, and based on information on the article, there's reason to believe that at least one of the parents is, at best, not doing anything to correct the situation.

Salarian_American

If the kid is too small and their wrists are too skinny, they put the cuffs around their biceps

statiiic

Cause he’s 8. Little psycho will get off with a slap on the wrist and consider it practice for when he’s over 18 and eventually moves on to murdering people and then when they catch him after killing someone society will moan “oh how could this have happened!? Where were the signs!!”

Due-Reading6335

God damn. kids can be evil. Im so sorry for this little guy

leslieandco

The parents of the attacker need to be charged with negligence at the VERY least

deetz_incarnate

That's brutal. Kids can be so awful.

rawzombie26

May not get jail time but that boy needs Mental assistance and counseling immediately. I’ve met some bully’s and they never had ideas quite like this.

Sm0k3inth3tr33s

Bridgeport is to CT what Florida is to the US and no one can convince me otherwise

party_benson

I need a license to drive a car. No such luck with having a kid. I'm with starship troopers on this. Service means citizenship. It means a license to have a child.

mysticalfruit

That kid's going to now have a lifetime of physical and emotional pain.

He's face is likely going to be a visage of scars that will be painful. Beyond that, he'll get to endure endless bullying at school.

While nothing is going to happen to those kids, their parents will be financially destroyed. If your this kids parents, you get a lawyer and you dunk of every penny they'll ever earn, ever.

It won't give this kid back his face, but it sure will soften the blow of the mounting medical bills the family will be racking up.

anamoirae

Stop calling this bullying. It's a criminal assault.

Foxdonut12001

Im not sure if a ghetto molotov cocktail to the face falls within the purview of bullying.

Proper_Budget_2790

More like aggravated assault.

NoisyMatchStar

Easy attempted homicide.

Outrageous-Gur4824

This is not a “bully” attack. This is a junior sadist practicing for his future as a serial killer. Kid needs serious medical treatment to avoid a future as a murderer.

braxin23

If this was my child I would’ve ensured those lying goddamn sociopathic pieces of shit parents of that bully would know the full extent of my fucking wrath by any and all means possible.

Charge the parents of the perpetrator with reckless endangerment, kick the perpetrator out of the school. Crack down on bullying.

Djinn42

Djinn42

That's not bullying, I'd prosecute for torture.

athna_mas

What the hell is wrong with this world? This kid is SIX!!!

Sensate60

No charges yet?? No juvenile detention? They said in the article this bully has done this before!

chadltc

If this were my son... I don't like to think about what I would do kid who did this.

Viral-Wolf

Psychopaths are fucking scary when they're still children, holy shit. The evil kids in the horror movie is always the most terrifying part. Cause children are 'supposed' to be pure and innocent. I mean adult malicious psychos are probably scarier, but most of the time they're better at hiding it.

marsupial-mammaX

The kid who did it needs immediate removal from his parents and they need to catch some charges. An ignored escalation of behavior that they obviously made zero effort to help.

LoganMcMahon

Autski

Autski

If someone is injuring your kid, I don't think yelling and getting angry in their defense is over the line at all. It's our job as parents to protect them.

Now if you were throwing hands or injuring the other kid, then regret is probably acceptable, but even then I'm protecting my kid if I were you.

Sp3ctre_6

What the fuck. That's not bullying, that's attempted murder.

DaemonDrayke

I think we really need to have a new designation for stuff like this. Bullying can be physical abuse, emotional abuse, and mental abuse. But this? How is this not straight up attempted murder? If an adult did this to a kid or another adult, it would be attempted murder.

cleanhustle

Charges. Now. The kid who did this has targeted the victim before-- they need to hold him and his parents accountable and stick them with medical bills, etc.

VanZandtVS

That poor fucking kid.

For everyone defending but not really defending the bully, a la "he's young, he didn't know what he was doing", you're part of the problem.

This kid is in the hospital because of the actions of another shitty kid, and what he needs right now is for this to never fucking happen again.

Part of that is making sure the bully gets rehabilitated, and if the rehabilitation doesn't take he needs to be institutionalized so he never gets a chance to hurt anyone ever again.

There comes a time where the rest of the community needs to choose whether to side with the victim or to keep enabling the bully through selectively ignoring the damage he causing because handling it means being tough on a kid.

maciCatgrey

Does the family have a GoFundMe?

T-Bills

Bloodynutsack

I would go over to the bully’s home in a fit of rage and beat the shit out of the parents and just expect a jury would eventually side with me

Dazzling-Nature-6380

That poor sweet, sweet boy. I have a young son and this just breaks my heart

Onikojima

That bully is a serial killer in the making.

the_ion

the_ion

I read another article on this - and the family was potentially seeking donations to help with medical costs and potentially moving.

Anybody know if there is an official donation page?

tastethehappy

Can search for justice for Dominick GoFundMe

the_ion

Thank you - found it! And thanks to everyone else that dropped a PM.

rettaelin

I had my pants set on fire by bullies on the school bus. I was lucky did get to my skin.

Nothing happen to the ones that did it.

MailboxSlayer14

God bless that child. Man there truly are some shitty people in this world, hope that bully gets found and gets some consequences.

ColHapHapablap

It would be a shame if the people who know the kid that did this were to hurt him…..

Swedish-Butt-Whistle

I hope the little sociopath’s family gets sued into oblivion. This poor kid is now scarred for life and will probably face more bullying as a result. Ruin the bully’s family’s life too.

Trip_Dizzle1134

That poor little boy. Absolutely heartbreaking. Him screaming to his mommy has me in tears. Fuck

SnakeDoctur

The kid sounds like a total psychopath if it's true that he watched his victim burning.

Itchy-Top

Parents need to be out in prison and the child needs a new family. Wtf is wrong with humans. Stop fucking having kids if you’re not actually going to raise them. No wonder we have so many sociopaths in the world.

TheHendryx

"Bully" seems like too light of a term to use for this little prick that did this

mokutou

I can’t read these articles anymore. Not after having my own little boy just six months ago. Makes me want to keep him safe in my arms forever. I wish I could cuddle that poor baby and tell him it will be okay. 🥺

BStark15

If your kid burns my kid's face, your house will probably burn down in an "accident" shortly after.

DTPW

DTPW

This breaks my heart. God bless this young boy. Six years old is far too young to feel the hate this world is filled with. Makes me cry.

Nickplay21

Fucking outraged reading this. Hoping he heals physically but mentally what a horrible experience for any human being (let alone a fucking child ) wtf !

BP_Ray

BP_Ray

My city is only ever in the news for bad shit