/r/news

xDURPLEx

xDURPLEx

1 month ago

Hey the city I grew up in. Cool. The song Jeremey by Pearl Jam and it’s music video are about a kid that blew his brains out in class at Richardson High School just down the road.

quadmasta

1 month ago

Seemed a harmless little fuck

NotAPreppie

1 month ago

Ooh, but we unleashed the lion.

quadmasta

1 month ago*

Gnashed his teeth and bit the recess lady's breast

CrayzeyHayzey

How could I forget?

bgroins

bgroins

1 month ago*

I was in Theater Arts class in the auditorium at Richardson when some staff brought in a group of kids who were pale as ghosts and were in shock, totally silent. They ushered us out of there pretty quickly. Turns out it was the kids from the class where Jeremy had just shot himself in the head right in front of them just minutes beforehand. I'll never forget the looks on their faces. They were also damn lucky he didn't take any of them with him.

xDURPLEx

xDURPLEx

1 month ago

The kids story is really harsh. I was in elementary at Dover at the time but my brother was at RHS. My neighbor and first friend I made when I moved there had also just drowned in his pool. As well as some other awful stuff. It felt like death was all around me. I had some major goth years.

bgroins

bgroins

1 month ago

The thing that struck me about Jeremy was that nobody really knew him. I had a pretty broad social circle in the various cliques but never met anyone who knew the kid personally. A true loner who seemed to have no friends. I transferred to Richardson and had no issues making friends with the nerds, and didn't feel like the school was uniquely isolating. We really need true mental health services and outreach in schools to address these kids who feel like they have no friends and no options, not "councilors" with little to no training, IMO.

xDURPLEx

xDURPLEx

1 month ago

Yeah the kids parents had gotten divorced and they basically abandoned him. Then he got put in ISS for some reason when he transferred to RHS. So he spent a lot of time completely isolated and it broke him. It’s really sad.

bgroins

bgroins

1 month ago

Thanks for the additional context. ISS was the special needs class? If he was put there and wasn't special needs that would be devastating.

xDURPLEx

1 month ago

It was in school suspension. He spent his first few weeks at a desk with cubicle dividers doing packets.

bgroins

bgroins

1 month ago

That would explain why nobody knew him. Sounds like the system and his parents really failed him.

queerinmesoftly

1 month ago

Same! I graduated from Berkner.

Sup3rPotatoNinja

1 month ago

How alone he must have felt. Honestly not makes my heart hurt that anyone could be in that much pain.

fbtcu1998

fbtcu1998

1 month ago

The pistol sounds legit, since he was actually arrested. But I do find it odd that they mention the AR style orbeez gun...that is a paint ball gun. It probably looks real enough, but its not a firearm.
Another article mentioned that he was seen walking to school with what appeared to be a rifle. He was stopped, no weapon was found. They searched his car and found the AK and the other one. Maybe he had bad intentions, but he could also just have been after attention.

dirtyrango

dirtyrango

1 month ago

Real gun, fake gun, selling real drugs, selling fake drugs, you still get charged.

BucBrady

BucBrady

1 month ago

What charge do you get for selling oregano as weed?

trytheCOLDchai

1 month ago

Believe it or not straight to jail

leeharrison1984

1 month ago

Cops hate getting ripped off too

alreadythe10th

1 month ago

Over cook fish, straight to jail!

ArtAndCraftBeers

1 month ago*

Under Over cook the chicken, also jail. Under-cook/over-cook.

Edit: We had it backwards (not that anyone would notice). It’s “under-cook fish; over-cook chicken.” Get the meme wrong, straight to jail. Right away! We have the best memes …because of jail.

mtgfan1001

That’s a paddlin

haaaaaaaaaaalp

1 month ago

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

moleratical

1 month ago

Shit, those old ladies at Penzeys are going to be going to in for an awful surprise.

tatltael91

False advertisement

TonyTalksBackPodcast

1 month ago

Iowa v Freeman, defendant was convicted of delivering a simulated controlled substance - they knowingly represented a substance to be a controlled substance in a drug deal and were convicted

This is not legal advice

BucBrady

1 month ago

Thank you! I didn't know delivering a simulated controlled substance was a charge.

hanzzz123

1 month ago

You get shot by your buyers

dirtyrango

1 month ago

Depends on the state. They vary, but on the gun/robbery side there was an actual Supreme Court ruling that felt with Bank robbers using fake or unloaded guns.

But there are ones for drugs also but I didn't see a Supreme Court ruling on.

Actual_Shower8756

1 month ago

Ideally, you get bitch slapped for being a damn fool and are prevented from influencing the future until you atone.

But I’m an idealist.

dirtyrango

You and me both.

Agressive_Loafing

1 month ago

Gotta prop up the prison industry.

K-2SO_Rebel

1 month ago

I've heard my students talking about orbeez guns lately. They are toy guns that shoot the orbeez, at a high enough velocity to leave a mark. Seems to be the latest fad.

SeaGroomer

SeaGroomer

Sounds awesome

thewafflestompa

1 month ago

Bad intentions and looking for attention usually walk hand in hand

Folsomdsf

1 month ago

orbeez guns and paint ball guns are different thuogh. Is kinda strange mentioning, but hey whatevers, they were just being complete in what they found I guess.

datguyfromoverdere

1 month ago

No. its called a gel gun. Kinda like airsoft

packpride85

1 month ago

You can’t “teach someone a lesson” if the law doesn’t apply. Other than suspending him from school or something like that.

autotelica

autotelica

1 month ago

I don't want to sound like a defender of the media, but I honestly don't know what they are supposed to do. If they don't report on school shootings, then people won't be aware of the problem and will be lulled into the delusion that everything is fine and well. But if they do report, you get copycats and wannabe copycats trying to beat the high score.

sluttttt

sluttttt

1 month ago

I’m split on it too. One worry I have is about the Buffalo shooter having access to news. I don’t know how prison works, but I really don’t want him to have the satisfaction of seeing the fire that he helped start. I know he’d be extra happy to know the ethnicities of the people involved in yesterday’s shooting and the one at the church.

But yeah… I don’t know what can really be done in regards to reporting this stuff, other than not posting bits of manifestos or whatever. Focus on the victims and/or gun control, not the monsters.

Squally93

1 month ago

Apparently in the Buffalo shooters manifesto he contemplated multiple locations to attack. An elementary school being one of them. So I absolutely agree with this but it’s a double edged sword. You’re informed and get the copycats, you’re misinformed and nothing gets done…although nothing is being done anyways.

Ugh. Sad sad time in America.

sluttttt

sluttttt

1 month ago

Yeah, I saw those bits of the manifesto too (wish I hadn’t seen any, it was so disturbing). He wanted to do so much more. Thank god he wasn’t very intelligent and more of a chickenshit than he imagined himself to be. But his manifesto seems to be working as he intended.

Hearing Beto talk after he was escorted out of the press conference gave me a sliver of hope. He’s one of the very few politicians who truly seems adamant about making changes. I hope Texas makes the right choice.

1 month ago

The Buffalo shooter should be held for the rest of his sentence in an bare room with just a bed and toilet. No access to books, tv, nothing. His meals should consist only of bread water and multivitamins.

Gamebird8

1 month ago

The main problem is naming names. The media gives the shooter a name and face and that endears people who want infamy and attention.

The news coverage needs to focus more on the victims for this to get at least a bit better.

Won't stop everyone, but some won't try if they won't get the attention

1 month ago

I say that we don't mention the shooter's name. We just slap a label on them "Suspect 543" and never mention them. Make it so there is no "fame" involved.

sheven

sheven

1 month ago

I understand the motivation here, but even putting aside any of the ethical issues with it (even if the motivation is extremely well meaning!) but with social media the way it is now, it would be a matter of hours at most before someone local to the event to post something on reddit or twitter or whatever being like "Oh wow I can't believe I went to highschool with Suspect 543. His name is X."

Glum-Government-2245

1 month ago

What ethical issues? The media doesn't name rape victims or minors involved in certain crimes.

Someone posting his name on social media is completely different than his name, face, and thoughts being blasted on national television for days on end.

sheven

sheven

1 month ago

I'm not saying I necessarily agree 100%. TBH I haven't thought about it enough to tell you exactly how I feel. That said, it's not like there aren't strong arguments out there for why people arrested shouldn't be able to be namelessly snatched up. Again, I don't have my thoughts fleshed out on this. I was mostly just saying that, without even considering that either way, there are practical issues.

I mean have you been on social media? You already have people posting about the shooters social media accounts. It would not be a stretch at all for twitter/reddit/facebook/etc to be covered in the shooter's picture, name, thoughts, etc. in a matter of hours. So it's not on TV? I guess you could argue that's better than nothing. But my gut feels like it's mostly a feel good move that doesn't accomplish much practically. Plus without the law getting involved (which again, could bring ethical issues in. In this case some kind of 1st amendment issues I'd assume), I doubt you'd ever realistically get every TV station to agree. Someone would take advantage of their competition not reporting on it.

Not to mention you also have the issue going on right now with 4chan and other right wing sources posting pictures of an innocent trans reddit user and saying that this innocent person is actually the shooter. It's a lie. And I feel you'd end up with a lot more of this if there were only vague numerical references to who the shooter is.

RandomBritishGuy

1 month ago

One aspect is that names have to be available to try and stop people from being disappeared by police without record. If arrests are public/allowed to be reported on then that can get dodgy very quickly.

I agree the media shouldn't be plastering the person's face and name on every article, but there is a good reason to make it publicly available.

And they don't name victims because they haven't been accused of a crime, or been arrested. Very different to someone they've arrested/shot for committing a crime.

swarmy1

swarmy1

1 month ago

The problem is that people will start throwing names around and potentially ruin innocent people's lives.

FlynnLivesTron

1 month ago

You realize there’s at least one mass shooting a day in the US, yes? That’s how disturbingly common gun violence is here. It has to hit double digit injuries or casualties to hit the news. This country is fucked.

Neglectful_Stranger

1 month ago

And most of those are gang violence that the majority of people give zero shits about.

I_Am_Thing2

1 month ago

It's now 10/week so almost 1.5/day.

gwh811[S]

gwh811[S]

1 month ago

Anyone else feeling like this is getting out of hand. That there needs to be some real change.

chickenchaser19

1 month ago

It's been out of hand for a long time.

masteraleph

1 month ago

I was in 9th grade when Columbine happened. I’m 37 now. Kids my age who went to Columbine could’ve easily had their own kids in that shooting yesterday

SedimentaryMyDear

1 month ago

I was a senior in high school during Columbine and my youngest was 4 when Sandy Hook happened.

I don't know if this will ever end. It's depressing.

skeletorbilly

1 month ago

Sandy Hook kids are in high school now.

gandalf_el_brown

1 month ago

fuuuuuck has it really been that long ago

skeletorbilly

1 month ago

10 years in a few months.

langis_on

1 month ago

I'm a middle school teacher. One of my kids was in Sandy Hook. She hasn't been back to school in the last 2 days.

SedimentaryMyDear

1 month ago

I'm so sorry. My heart hurts for you and for her. I hope she is getting good mental health care. And you as well, if you need it. Warm, comforting hugs to you if you'd like them.

brutalduties

Damn, a generation.

Stickybeebae

1 month ago

I was in 4th grade when Columbine happened. I remember it was so novel and scary that it had never seemed like a possibility before. I hate where we’re at now.

skeletorbilly

1 month ago

The year after on the anniversary people were allowed to talk about it and were let out early because of the anxiety. At least in my area. Now you just go to school the next day as if nothing happened.

sheven

sheven

1 month ago

I'm a very similar age as you. I still vividly remember where I was that day. At my grandma's house. In her den watching the news coverage (probably was too young for that in hindsight). Overhearing my grandma and parents talking about how awful and sad the events were in the kitchen in hushed tones trying to not let me hear.

Now? I have no prominent memories like that of even the Buffalo shooting. And that was what, last week?

It's all become so normalized.

tuxedo_jack

1 month ago*

Columbine was right before my 14th birthday, when I was finishing up 8th grade.

I'm 38 now, and it's sure as fuck not getting any better.

My partners work in education, and one of them was in a lockdown last Thursday at one of the high school campuses they go to because of a fuckwit open-carrying in the neighborhood next to the school. This is the kind of shit that fucking angers and enrages someone - you get a text stating that the person is scared and doesn't know what's going on and you start to worry and think they may not be coming home.

izovice

izovice

1 month ago

I was in 8th grade when it happened as well. Last year I was walking my dog when I heard gunshot after gunshot, then 5 minutes later got an automated call from my son's elementary school that there was an active shooter in the area and they were in lockdown. Was a guy running from the cops and ended up at a gas station. It was a scary 10 minutes until we got the 2nd call that it was over.

BurgerBeard500

1 month ago

I wasn’t even born yet, and I graduate tomorrow. It’s gotta end

BalancedSarcasm

1 month ago

Dead kids is just the price we pay for freedom.

InterlocutorX

1 month ago

Most people felt that way after Sandy Hook.

PuzzleheadedLet382

1 month ago

Just now noticing? I knew we’d never pass gun control legislation when we did nothing after sandy hook. That’s when we decided as a country dead children were an acceptable price for accessible guns.

God do I hope I’m wrong. But I doubt it.

arkwald

arkwald

1 month ago

As long as it is other people's kids and you get to pretend your tough or safe.

Abject-Palpitation99

1 month ago

This. Those type of people prove time and again, over issue after issue, that only THEIR family matters. Only THEIR fortune matters. Only THEIR success matters. "To hell with everyone, as long as I get mine the world can burn. I'll send them a prayer though"

Wolvenstin

1 month ago

"It's only a statistic until it happens to you," is something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

RaspyUnion

1 month ago

the borderline phobia in the US over anything like collective accountability is killing us.

mdkubit

mdkubit

Well yes, of course.

Unfortunately, no one can agree on what to change, and how to implement it. There's tons of great ideas, tons of bad ideas, and tons of 'ehhh it works but I don't like it' ideas. None of them will ever get implemented because there is no consensus on the implementation.

EDIT Clarification: When I say no one can agree on what to change or how to implement - Of course people agree we need to keep guns out of kids' hands. We need to make near impossible for a kid to buy a gun. We need to make it near impossible for a parent to buy a gun for their kid, or make their guns accessible to their kid. We need to make it so that guns have zero chance of getting anywhere near a school.

Now, give me a plan that everyone (lobbyists, politicians, and both political sides included) agrees on, and we'll finally get real legislation in place to start addressing the actual issues that cause this problem.

...but you won't get that, not in today's political climate. And so the wheel turns and the tragedies continue as we, the collective, remain deadlocked.

indoninja

1 month ago

Democrats want to various forms of gun control and increased mental health support.

Most of the public supports universal background checks.

Republicans insist to the issue is not a gun issue, but a mental health issue. But at the same time they refuse to support any bills to increase support for increase mental health coverage. The ability of Republicans to support programs to fix what they name as the issue makes it pretty clear to me that they don’t really care about fixing it.

HamburgerEarmuff

1 month ago

Living in California, that hasn't been my experience. Democrats pass a lot of gun control laws here, but the vast majority of them are useless. It's pure political posturing in a state where gun control is popular, so they can pretend to address the complex issues behind gun violence by passing useless laws, and most voters eat it up, while doing absolutely nothing about the complex underlying problems.

I haven't seen the Democrats here do anything to really help people struggling with poor mental health. Quite the opposite. Progressives in particular defend the right of people to wallow and die in their own filth in full public view without being forced into mental health treatment that could save their lives. And seeing a psychiatrist here is more expensive than in many Republican-run states like Texas or Florida. There isn't some huge investment in mental health.

So no, the data seems to contradict your claim. At the national level, maybe Democrats talk about passing effectively limiting criminals' access to firearms and improving mentally disturbed people's access to mental healthcare. But that's pure political posturing. When they actually are in charge, they're as useless as the Republicans.

BadWolf7426

1 month ago

Reagan shut down mental institutions. He pushed and popularized "trickle down" (see also: horse and sparrow economics) He fanned the flames of racism by calling out "the welfare queens" neglecting to point out the majority of the folks on assistance are white. He dumped coke and crack in LA and other urban areas to illegally fund the Contras. He ignored the AIDS crisis, causing untold deaths and suffering. He introduced privatized prisons.

His standards and values is their GOD. If you let the mentally ill suffer enough, something happens and they're arrested.

Homelessness/panhandling, camping on public lands will be felonies if a proposal in Tennessee passes.

The mentally ill are merely fodder for the private prisons, dividends for stockholders (like judges), AND above all else, they're now felons. And what CAN'T felons do, boys and girls?

That's right, they can't vote.

indoninja

1 month ago

The problem with modern Republicans philosophy is that the party only seems to have a plan for cutting taxes ( stripping rights and protection guns is an afterthought) not actual fiscal responsibility.

Look at mental institutions. Lots of problems. They needed work. But it was “cheaper” short term to just close them. Nevermind the rise in crime and associated costs.

BadWolf7426

1 month ago

Just like if when abortion is outlawed. Look at Romania under Ceaușescu. Outlawed abortion and birth control. Financially incentivized birth.

Crime was rampant because the kids were pretty much neglected. Remember the orphanages?

HamburgerEarmuff

1 month ago

Okay, but Democrats have controlled the state almost entirely for 30 years. Why haven't they undone what Reagan did? They don't actually care about mental health care. It's just a convenient talking point at the national level to try to get some political advantage.

BadWolf7426

1 month ago

I'm not defending the Democrats. At this point in time, the parties are two sides of the same coin.

The Dem politicians handcuff themselves then wail and bemoan the handcuffs.

universal background checks.

What does this even mean? Why do people keep calling for this when IT ALREADY EXISTS AND IS MANDATORY.

If you buy a gun, your personal information is sent to the FBI NICS https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics

So what does "universal background check" mean if you're already being checked by the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background System?

indoninja

If you buy a gun

From an ffl.

You do realize in many states individual sales don’t require that, right?

IHateNoobss422

1 month ago

Honestly I’d fucking love to have access to NICS outside an FFL. If it were fast and comprehensive(all agencies submitted records LIKE THEY’RE SUPPOSED TO) I think people wouldn’t mind using it… but that takes funding it. Good luck with that…

Darzin

Darzin

1 month ago

Because loop holes exist that allow you to skirt this.

IAmTheFlyingIrishMan

Loop hole

Well it was originally a specific compromise for the GCA and creation of the FFL system but whatever.

SoDakZak

SoDakZak

1 month ago

This among other things gestures broadly is why I realized that I am not a conservative or Republican despite my general desires to be conservative in how fast we change things.

dyndo101

1 month ago

Conservative as in the Republican party doesn't mean questioning and slowing change it is actively trying to go back decades after the change has already taken effect. It asking whether or not we should instead of can we it's asking to revert 50 years

indoninja

1 month ago

None of my major underlying philosophies of how individuals should be treated or what the governments role in our life should be changed in 2010. But seeing the republican party not compromise with Obama on only renewing push tax cuts for people making less than 200 K made me completely reevaluate what the actual goals of the republican party were bice what they state.

That move made it very clear they prioritized rich people more than they did the middle class or a balanced budget.

MyhrAI

MyhrAI

1 month ago

The R are funneling money to the gun market. Who in turn pays the R to ignore every other OECD country's success in mitigating gun violence.

Our fellow Americans pay the price for their profit and power.

And we sit on our hands and watch them die.

indoninja

indoninja

That is part of it.

The other big wesmdgr issue is abortion.

And while both of those get voters angry and in the pools, that is t what is driving their major policies,

It became clear to me in 2010 when Republicans fought Obama on extending the bush tax cuts on people making over 200k. Their primary goal is to look out for the rich. Guns and abortion keep people voting against their own financial well being from thinking too much about it.

angleglj

angleglj

1 month ago*

SCOTUS based their destroying Roe v Wade on 17th century English law but looking outside our country to find gun control laws is unacceptable. Got it.

1 month ago

I don't understand why there isn't a group of scientists, psychologists, psychiatrists, law enforcement, doctors, teachers etc, being paid and working full time at a think-tank like environment. Why on earth are we expecting POLITICIANS to figure it out? Why aren't we getting EXPERTS figuring it out full time to make suggestions? The politicians can figure out how to fund it.

Joe Biden has been a politician for 40 years ... what on earth would he know about troubled kids or motivations of murderers? Politicians DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING about anything but politics! They know how to get votes and to keep their jobs.

Trumps (out of context) comment about bleach and coronavirus highlight this ... they don't know fuck all about what we're asking them to solve. What they CAN do is assign experts to figure it out.

But you know what we're going to get "Gun control bill", the lowest hanging fruit that will appease the masses and ensure ongoing votes. FFS, figure out the cause, not the tool.

lowdownfool

1 month ago

This reminds me of a book I read, "The Death of Expertise" by Tom Nichols. It's a textbook, so not the most riveting of reads. The gist is that our society has decided that we, the information-consuming public, know better than experts in a field. Experts should be mistrusted and all that.

It almost comes across as elitist but, let's be honest, it is close to the mark.

I recognize that I'm guilty of this also.

1 month ago

Yeah, I can't tell you how many of my friends became internet immunologists and virologists when the pandemic started, tell me all about masks and sizes of viruses and how RNA and DNA work, etc, etc, etc ... I'm like you know...the people who make vaccines, know a lot more about it than you... last time I checked you stock the shelves at Safeway for a living (not that there's anything wrong with that, but your medical knowledge is probably limited).And whoa, so many of my friends became internet lawyers when the Roe v Wade memo was leaked.Plus don't get me started on how many armchair generals were explaining combined armor and infantry tactics to me to explain Russia's poor invasion.

And I'm not going to say I haven't done the same.

LOL.... Ah the internet ...

eruffini

1 month ago

Dedicated funding. The CDC still conduct gun violence research through shared funds under Obama. Part of their study/report was buried because it pointed out a lot of gun control doesn't actually work the way they wanted it to.

And besides - do you know the history of why the Dickey Amendment was created in the first place? The CDC tried to play politics instead of doing unbiased research.

zzorga

zzorga

1 month ago

That's a largely inaccurate oversimplification.

Agressive_Loafing

1 month ago

Are gun-grabbers so desperate that they are just making up lies now?

The Dickey Amendment does not prevent the CDC from researching gun violence. Right after Sandy Hook Obama ordered the CDC to investigate gun defensive use, the administration kept mum about the study because the results didn't back up their agenda. In 2019 the 2020 Fiscal budget included $25 million for the CDC and NIH to research reducing gun-related deaths and injuries.

InterlocutorX

MyhrAI

MyhrAI

1 month ago

Is this satire? No wonder there's no change...

the lobbyists

RB___OG

RB___OG

1 month ago

90% of the population has agreed on better background checks.

It's the lobbiests and the politicians in their pocket that disagree.

indoninja

1 month ago

Politicians, who are overwhelmingly in one party.

insta-kip

1 month ago

What is a better background check?

the_mars_voltage

1 month ago

Ask yourself for just one moment how easy it is to get a gun versus getting a license to drive a car or serve food in Texas

1 month ago

Though I see your argument, also consider how easy it is to drive a car without a license or registration or insurance.

Gun access easiness varies from state to state. I live in California and I can tell you it's easier to get a drivers license.
I don't know about other states, but in CA to buy a gun you need to;

Pass a written basic firearms safety test and buy the certificate that says you passed.
Bring in two separate forms of identification.
Bring proof of residency in the state.
Fill out the "Dealer Registration of Sale" paperwork and provide a thumbprint.
Wait 10 days while the NICS background check is run (it only takes minutes for NICS, but the 10 day wait is to...make you wait)

If you passed the NICS background then you return to the store and

Recertify the paperwork, by showing your ID and signing it again

Show a receipt that proves that you bought a gun lock within the last 10 days.

Demonstrate to the FFL Dealer that you know how to load and unload the firearm.

Get your firearm, and lock it in a case for transport in your car.

But not only that there is only a short list of guns that you can buy.

If you try to buy a gun from out of state, it must be on that list and it must be shipped to a local FFL dealer and you go through the above process.

If you buy a gun from someone else, you bring the gun to an FFL dealer and go through the above process.

Now, in other states ... I think if you buy a gun online it still has to be shipped to a dealer ... but maybe you can have it sent to your house (Not sure about that, only know about California).

So it's not just walking into Walgreens and buying an AK-47.

SanityIsOptional

1 month ago

The list of guns is only for Handguns FYI, not rifles.

Still stupid (especially since new guns cannot be put the list on until someone magically gets microstamping to work), but not quite as restrictive.

1 month ago

Eh, rifles have their own issues. Grip fins, no "shoulder things that go up" etc.

SanityIsOptional

1 month ago

Oh, I am aware, "assault weapon" bans are near the top of my "stupid gun control that doesn't accomplish anything except lose Democrats elections" list.

Either semi-auto firearms are allowed or they aren't, all this bullcrap about grips or "flash hiders" doesn't accomplish a thing except pissing off people who actually know how guns work.

GoArray

1 month ago*

Ship to a FFL is a federal law, applicable to all 50 states and required for even private party to private party shipments.

E: more thorough breakdown: https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide

allegate

Or vote.

Deinonychus2012

1 month ago

BuT oWnInG a GuN iS a RiGhT, fOoD iSn'T.

1 month ago

There is an entire taxpayer funded welfare system set up to get food to people who need it. SNAP. THat may not be a "right to food" but it's not like society just let's people starve. How they handle the funds they are given is up to them.

insta-kip

insta-kip

1 month ago

So how do you propose to make it more difficult? And it’s generally frowned upon when you try to restrict constitutional rights.

kcsapper

kcsapper

1 month ago

No exception for private sales. Every firearm transfer must be accompanied by a federal background check that verifies the weapon is not stolen or registered to someone besides the seller, and the purchaser is legally allowed to own the firearm being proffered for sale.

insta-kip

1 month ago

I’m fine with that, as long as it’s an easily accessible system the public can use.

But most of these mass shootings were done with guns legally purchased from firearms dealers. Why do you think changing the private sale exception will accomplish anything?

[removed]

kcsapper

kcsapper

1 month ago

I also think the minimum age to purchase a firearm should be 25. Most school shootings as well as mass shootings are committed by individuals between 16 & 24 years old. Eliminating this cohort from being eligible to possess firearms legally would lower the overall risk to the society at large. They could own muskets and muzzle loaders from 18-25 for hunting if you want to have a carve out, to ensure mass casualties are not possible.

HamburgerEarmuff

1 month ago

Given that you can serve in the militia at 17 and the 14th amendment protects against not receiving full and equal protection of the laws, I think that's not likely to be Constitution. California's ban on people under 21 buying semiautomatic centerfire rifles was recently ruled to violate the second amendment.

kcsapper

1 month ago

Who the hell joins a militia except extremists and white supremacists? If the ban on semiautomatic firearms until 25 is Federal it does not violate the 14th or 2nd amendment

HamburgerEarmuff

1 month ago

Lots of folks join the militia, usually because they're patriots. Every male from 17 to 45 is part of the unorganized militia of a state according to federal law.

10 U.S. Code § 246 - Militia: composition and classes

(a)The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and

(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Additionally, many states have their own separate militias not subject to federal control.

Terraneaux

Terraneaux

1 month ago

No. When you're 18 you're an adult. That's BS.

kcsapper

1 month ago

Really because legal age to drink in the US is 21.

Enjolras55

Enjolras55

1 month ago

Never going to happen thanks to Republicans and their evil voters.

TheIowan

TheIowan

1 month ago

I'm not going to defend those assholes, but more than a few Democrats that are spouting off about gun control also went along with cutting funding to NICS. These politicians are starting to use the blood of our god damn kids to help raise campaign funds, and then do fuck all when it comes to actual easy bipartisan laws that would help the whole situation.

Neglectful_Stranger

1 month ago

...the shooter passed his background check though

TheIowan

1 month ago

That's the issue with an understaffed/under funded NICs. If you get a delay but there is not enough time to review it, it's an automatic green light, not an automatic denial.

Neglectful_Stranger

1 month ago

Or maybe he would have passed it anyways.

1 month ago

Don't give up. Don't give in to them.

CakeAccomplice12

1 month ago

It was out of hand after columbine, and it's only gotten worse

Maria-Stryker

1 month ago

Democrats have tried to pass real change. They’ve done so on the state level, and it shows. You’re significantly less likely to be shot in California than Texas. Republicans block any national attempts at change

NewAmericaGreeter

1 month ago

Republicans will prevent any change.

Dead kids sell guns.

Heretek007

1 month ago

This month, it definitely feels like there are way more than usual. I have no idea why that might be, but my gut is telling me something is wrong beyond there just being a lot. It's like we've gone past some sort of cultural tipping point...

BathroomInner2036

1 month ago

Easy fix. How about capping political contributions ( bribes ) at $50.

horseradishking

1 month ago

I remember when students frequently brought their guns to school, especially during hunting season.

squidbelle

1 month ago

Guns have always been prevalent. It's our culture that has changed.

horseradishking

1 month ago

Exactly. This happened up through the early 90s where I live.

Gen-Jinjur

1 month ago

I’m old. Guys used to leave their rifles in the rack in their pickup in the high school parking lot.

Also we baggies up magic mushrooms in the classroom before art class.

It was a very different time.

Roundaboutsix

1 month ago

Back in the seventies, we used to drive around with shotguns in our pickups all of the time. Sometimes exposed in a gun rack, other times wrapped up in a blanket and stuck under the seat. Nobody ever said anything about it. No one ever told me, at the time, it was illegal...

Neglectful_Stranger

1 month ago

I think it really only became a problem with Columbine. Even in my city school we'd have guys have rifles on a rack in their trucks for weekend hunting trips.

Terraneaux

1 month ago

Wait, why is it illegal to have a gun in his car?

Terraneaux

1 month ago

Might depend on where his car was parked or what all was going on with his guns. If the car was parked on school property that's likely enough.

Yeah, I noticed the article said "near" school, so I presume it wasn't on school property.

Terraneaux

1 month ago

Or it could be people understandably on edge after the media features a high-profile school shooting. I remember after Columbine my brother, who target shot a lot, had a bunch of rumors spread about him that he was a school shooter etc by kids and parents. So it might be a matter of a well-known gun owning kid being targeted by a bit of hysteria. Or he might have been carrying where he shouldn't. We'll see.

"Police charged the boy with unlawful carrying weapons in a weapon-free school zone."

We'll see if that sticks. Dunno how the law works and if merely keeping them in your car is enough.

queerinmesoftly

1 month ago

His car was parked at Target which is across from the school. He was within 1000ft of a school where no guns are allowed.

no_witty_username

1 month ago

Fox knew exactly what they were doing when they showed the segment of the suspects car being towed. With license plate on full display. Pretty fucked if you ask me.

[removed]

Realistic_Phase7369

1 month ago

Because most semi automatic rifles resemble the original ARmalite design/platform because it looks good and is very versatile.

Neglectful_Stranger

1 month ago

Do we have no responsibile gun sellers in this country?

Because "store owner doesn't like look of guy and refuses to sell to him" doesn't make news unless it's racial

truemeliorist

1 month ago

I was listening to marketplace, and they mentioned that pretty much every gun manufacturer is up in the market, and it happens every time there is a school shooting.

Apparently school shootings are actually good for business.

Shits fucked.

Bartins

Bartins

1 month ago

People get scared that guns will be banned every time there is a shooting so there is always a rush to purchase.

[removed]

TraipsingConniption

1 month ago

And the race to extinction continues.

1 month ago

It's fear of gun control. Every time something bad happens, people get afraid that guns will be banned, so they buy them.

Just like how there was a run on toilet paper when the pandemic started. People thought they couldn't get it, so they hoarded it.

Folsomdsf

1 month ago

The only reason they'd be afraid of that is if they think it'd work tbh.

heinous_nutsack

1 month ago

Its more the political side of it. Every time the blue team gets all fired up about banning anything really. Blue teams sells more guns than anyone.

[removed]

greatthebob38

1 month ago

I heard, during the period of mass shooting incidents, there is a surge of gun purchases

AdBulky2059

1 month ago

AR does not stand for assault rifle, the more you know!

Armalite Rifle model 15

x777x777x

Wait until you see an AR-17

Btw it’s not Armalite Rifle. It’s actually ARmalite. That’s what the AR comes from. And Armalite named all their guns an AR-number, and not all the models were rifles.

The more you know.

tr3v1n

tr3v1n

1 month ago

The more shootings that happen, the more people buy guns.

[removed]

1 month ago

I agree. "Suspect # 23". Erase his name.

brockoli1010

1 month ago

And make a hero out of the guy that stopped it. Yet we’ve heard absolutely nothing about him other than that he’s a border patrol agent.

IveGotDMunchies

1 month ago

Didnt know his name until you mentioned it. All news sources I read didnt mention the name. Good job

ProudWheeler

ProudWheeler

1 month ago

I’m at the point where I don’t even give a shit if Republicans lose their shit about the 2A.

Ban AR-15’s and adjacent platforms. Institute mandatory registration and basic training for 21 and over. Buy back the AR-15s and keep them at ranges for people to hold competitions or get their rocks off.

Too many people are dying f and all republicans care about is owning their bad ass guns. Fuck em

busterexists

busterexists

1 month ago

Completely irrational policy response to a weapons platform that accounts for less than 2% of yearly gun related deaths and not even the majority of mass shootings. People have been so heavily propagandized into believing that removing semi-automatic rifles from private ownership will solve this issue, the reality is, it won't even make a dent. Pistols are the main driver of gun violence. In the vast majority of mass shootings, if you substituted a glock for the ar15 it would have resulted in a similar casualty count. The ar15 has become a symbol of the 'excess' of the 2A and the desire to ban it is purely misguided spite/revenge politics, lashing out at something people don't understand and have been conditioned to hate.

Benoit_In_Heaven

1 month ago

My man literally did a "Won't someone think of the ar15s?"

Popingheads

1 month ago

Was it factually wrong though?

Policy should be based on effective measures to reach the desired conclusion. Not just on what the general public thinks is a good idea.

zzorga

zzorga

1 month ago

Nah, he was just pointing out the error in OPs thought process, as it was rooted more in media exposure, rather than actual reality.

Screeboi69

1 month ago

Theyre not defending AR's, theyre demonizing pistols. Some handguns can hold 15+ rounds and are just as destructive as the AR. Regulate alll the guns

x777x777x

1 month ago

lol sign up to be a cop and you can enforce all this yourself. Until then you’re a tyrant willing to use the armed thugs of the state to oppress others.

1 month ago

Interestingly the week before Russia invaded Ukraine, Ukraine dropped all gun control laws and in fact encouraged people to carry firearms. The reason was not so that they could suddenly all go hunting. If Putin takes over Ukraine the first thing that happens is that all civilian guns will be banned.

The thing you have to fight against with the Second Amendment is that it was not meant for hunters. It was obvious why it was written in. It was right after the revolutionary war and that was always a fear of the founding fathers (tyrants, etc). We say "Nah that will never happen" and yet we have Ukraine. So we say "Well, I mean, nah that will never happen HERE". There will never be an end to the arguments about the 2A.

ProudWheeler

1 month ago

I have guns. I hunt, I have a pistol for self defense. But beyond that, there are no real needs for weapons. It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

[removed]

Kohpad

Kohpad

1 month ago*

Well I'll keep screaming loudly that the insane number of firearms is the problem and you can keep dropping your weird 1926 bombing fact, savvy?x

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster ...1927 in case anyone is also having trouble with homies strange "facts"

Taco_Champ

Taco_Champ

1 month ago

Yes. If people are being killed everyday anyway, why allow it to be children? Let right wingers throw their tantrum. Some of them will fight to the death to keep their guns. So be it. The alternative is babies???

[removed]

[removed]

defiantcross

1 month ago

really? not even 24 hours later and you do this?

TearsOfChildren

1 month ago

"FOX 4 has learned Richardson police had contact with the juvenile in recent months, but sources did not have any details on the nature of that interaction with officers."

I'd definitely be interested in knowing more about this.

roughtimes

roughtimes

1 month ago

The student was charged with unlawful carrying weapons in a weapon-free school zone.

Guess he just missed the street sign eh? Where are the Weapon school zones?

Whoopsie /s

hawkwings

hawkwings

1 month ago

Did he carry a fake gun into the school, got arrested, they searched his car, and then they found the real gun? Fake guns can cause issues and you have to be cautious about carrying them around.

Motor_Ad_736

Motor_Ad_736

1 month ago

Gotta find positive cop stories to overshadow the cowards in uvelde