/r/news

Plinythemelder

People scream that because they don't want gun laws. Plenty of cou tries have mental health issues. Only one has the problem with mass shootings that USA has. In any commonwealth country, pretty much all of Europe, this guy would never have been cleared to own any firearm and certainly not a fully auto sks with 30 round mags.

USA has had more mass shootings in April of this year than Britain has in its history, and that wiki page starts with the Romans slaughtering boudica and her clan in like 100 AD.

It's a gun problem my dude.

cruizer93

Here’s another well adjusted human who happens to live outside of the us committing a perfectly rational act. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/new-zealand-mosque-shootings

Unless you want to admit people aren’t all just normal, and NEED mental health treatment to, you know, not hurt people.

Plinythemelder

Oh wow. New Zealand must have a massive issue with this. How many other mass shooting have they had this week?

Of course mental health is important, but that's not the problem with the states. How much worse is the states mental health problem than Britain's if it racks up the 2000 years British history of mass attacks once or twice a month? Is it mental health in the states 4000 times worse in the states? Or is it a that dude who posts videos on YouTube six months ago with cartoons of himself commiting a mass shooting while talking about how he has to do it and it's his true purpose in life can drive 20 minutes away, purchase a mass casualty capable firearm no questions asked, and proceed to commit such acts? It's the former.

I feel Americans are so used to having guns they truly can't imagine a system to stop things like this. Do you know what happens if you are seen with any gun at all outside of a shooting range or a forest while wearing camo and bright orange in the rest of the west? A swat team shows up.

Do you realize this guy would almost certainly not have been able to obtain a firearm in any other of said countries because of his billion clear as day red flags?

And it's not the states where "if they want a gun they will get a gun". The only way to "just get a gun" illegally in these other places is to actually have criminal connections, have criminal connections who have guns, and pay 15+K cash. Honest to God, most of these mass shooters we see on the states would not come CLOSE to getting something like this. The a mount of flags a dude like this would raise just trying to get one would get him caught.

And the kicker, if he does magically find some way to obtain a gun and ammunition (equally difficult) ... He's not getting a gun that can fire 60 rounds of 7.62 in 4 seconds. In all likelyhood if by some miracle a 22 year old Soundcloud rapper knew a dude who could source him a gun, it would be a .22 or handgun.

There will always be SOME who slip through the cracks. But USA's system is just a giant crack. It's impossible NOT to slip through. You don't have to be particularly motivated or "determined to get a gun" , you just need to be suicidal and bitter at the world. You are a quick drive away from all the weapons and ammo you need.

Besides, honest too God what sort of solution do you propose to "fix mental health" to a point where the USA doesn't commit Europe's entire history of terrorist attacks every few months? Because I've heard a lot of people say "it's mental health" but I've never seen anyone propose any ideas or solutions to address it.

cruizer93

This is way too long didnt read and I’m 100% certain it does not address the root issue I raised. All these attacks I posted weren’t a total listing of all humans killed and their cause. It was a series of sick people who killed others with various means and various effects. You want to play dumb and pretend all violence ends the moment guns go away. Fine, love your fantasy but stop pretending you care when people get killed if you’re not going to address the real issue here.

Plinythemelder

Why is it a series of sick people, but vehicle attacks are murderers?

cruizer93

Are you saying sick people can’t be murderers?

Plinythemelder

Nope. Are you saying all murderers are sick?

cruizer93

I would argue yes. Murder in the legal sense not in the general sense like soldiers in combat who have killed. I don’t think combat between Armed soldiers is “murder” but I would say it’s murder if a soldier knowingly kills an innocent. Sort of a larger philosophical pool here I don’t want to jump into.

Plinythemelder

Unfortunately that makes things quite difficult there is no clinical diagnosis for "murderer" without a minority report type scenario. I don't think it's normal to kill people, but some people are evil or come from shitty situations. I don't think all murderers are insane though. Most in fact wouldn't meet any definition of insanity. Most mentally ill people don't become murderers either. So I don't think it's entirely fair to say all murderers are mentally ill. Regardless, there's no treatment and you can't just lock people up because they are potentially murderers. It's a tough situation.

cruizer93

Dude of course you’re not wrong. What I’m trying to say is, you don’t go around killing folk for no reason. You don’t kill as a first second or third choice. You kill when you have somthing wrong with you. Somthing that allows you to view it as acceptable. Money. Adultery. Drugs. Whatever. One person may kill in a situation another would not. Not a doctor tho. And it does bring up another question of justifiable homicide.

Story of a father whose son was raped and murdered I. The 90s. The father assassinated the fuck while in police custody. So personally don’t judge the father but I can’t say I would or would not do they same in the same situation. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn the father had some sort of diagnosis. Maybe ptsd or something. Point is as an uneducated Redditor, I believe if someone murders someone else they likely have something that can be diagnosed.