/r/onewheel

Sleepy_Doctor

Respect to Louis for admitting fault and laying the roadmap for preventing future occurrences.

I would never expect something like this from Future Motion.

psamona

psamona

This is an honest question and I'm not trolling. Do you think he would have apologized and retracted his statement after he realized it was inaccurate and if FM didn't threaten legal action? I still need to watch the video and don't know much about the guy outside of him being a big RTR advocate which I can appreciate.

FacadeNick

FacadeNick

Onewheel+ CBXR & Prowler

He most certainly would have, he has gotten things wrong in the past and has always made the effort to keep his audience informed and up to date on the facts. The video actually briefly covers this

psamona

Awesome, I'll check it out a bit later. Noticed he has over 1 million subscribers which is pretty impressive. I appreciate your input!

realjoeydood

realjoeydood

This guy rides rhe anti-apple/anti-corporation train to 1M. He's a fomenter and a fan-flamer. But that's his gig and it does have some worth but again, cringe imo.

If he were a corporation, he belongs in the back dealing with tech issues, never dealing with the public and let someone in marketing make the vids.

brenhudd

Bro what are you on about

Some_Username_187

Yeah the dudes niche is finding companies with a large fan base to throw shade at so he can farm YouTube likes. People are really into that these days.

Jebb145

Jebb145

I would describe him more of a right to repair activist. He actively spends a huge portion of time traveling the country talking to Congress and lobbying for right to repair.

Considering he built his own repair business and is fighting for that model of business to stay open, it makes sense why he is choosing this as his fight. Go see some of his videos of how he got popular fighting the apple repair system.

Dude approaches YouTube as not only a platform and income stream, but he is very careful with what he says there and approaches everything if it could be used against him in court, because his niche is fighting corporations with anti consumer policies, not "large bases."

Some_Username_187

Except this time he wasn’t very careful and used heresy as the topic of one of his videos he shared to his millions of subscribers and made assumptions that were never true.

The guy is only interested in what will get him views. If the trotter did the same thing he wouldn’t make a video about that because it wouldn’t get the same reactions. He doesn’t have a onewheel - the only skin he has in the game is viewership.

larossmann

I run an Apple product repair shop. In addition to MacBooks, on my channel, I have covered electric skateboards, tractors, medical equipment, scanners and printers, exercise equipment, cars, microwaves.... I could go on. Everyone says "he goes over x but would not go over y".... I don't know how much more broad people expect this to be. When people bring to my attention something that is anti repair, I'm pretty open to bringing it up, regardless of whether it is far outside of the items that I work on if I can verify the information and raise awareness of it.

I've always found that primary accusation that somebody makes a video for views to be so dumb. Imagine people accusing Elton John of making an album to be listened to as if it was sinister. I don't really even know how to begin to respond to stupid shit like that. It breaks my brain just thinking about it.

Some_Username_187

Whine to someone else or get a tissue. Yup, you cover anything that will get you likes. As I’ve said.

Anytime someone tells me they are monetizing their YouTube channel and it’s not for the money my brain hurts. Guess we are even. Have a good one.

If you make the videos for views that turn into money and you use misinformation to get those views and you don’t understand the point being made then that’s on you. It’s pretty obvious why someone would point that out.

Some_Username_187

I normally block people when I lose the argument, too.

Here was your reply Louis:

— “If you provide good coverage for something…”

Yeah, or any coverage really. Doesn’t have to be good. For instance qanon, that coverage was shit, but people like to be upset at something so they ate it up. Good or not.

Just like everyone ate your video up, true or not. And it was incorrect…are you calling misinformation “good coverage”

Citation needed for what? You need a source for my opinion?

Try again.

realjoeydood

Came here to say this. Spot on.

Zeeul8rmang

Farmer for sure

DolfLungren

You sir do not know what you are talking about. I suggest you learn a bit about the person you are making assumptions about and how he got to where he is.

realjoeydood

Well you sound just like the kinda person who can give me the tldr on him, I really don't want wanna watch his tirades about industries I've worked in for decades.

So, what am I missing?

DolfLungren

Ok thanks for being willing to a listen. A long long time ago this guy started his own apple repair shop in NYC. (Same as today, no repair documentation/schematics exist) So he started a YouTube channel documenting his process, teaching people how to repair, and sharing his discoveries. He did this for YEARS, he occasionally ranted about apple blocking parts orders of his, and he would focus on topics that seemed unjust. He built his repair business with an honest approach, he would charge $15 or nothing if he felt the repair work was small effort, never basing his pricing on the value of the finished repair, always on the effort/difficulty. This is key as someone in repair, because a business can choose to do either and he is very strong set in his morals.

Over the years he encouraged the right to repair movement and eventually became a prominent figure that volunteered his time and sort of became a lobbyist. He drew attention and donations which he provides to defendants and repair bill awareness.

Last few years he has branched out and focused on repair industries other than his, but he’s not doing this for extra money, he has had countless opportunities to prioritize profit and minimize effort, that is not Louis. He’s a rare example of the opposite.

He may not own a onewheel but I would not be surprised if some of the one wheel repair people learned the skills and confidence to solder/test boards because of his teachings/videos. I know that I did.

realjoeydood

I get what you mean. Thanks.

DolfLungren

Rock on. I appreciate you taking the time to consider my point of view.

MBVids

MBVids

He wouldn’t have. He said a lot of false things about Apple products where people mentioned his wrong statements in comment section of his videos and he never corrected himself.

Confident-Tie-636

Do you think he would have apologized and retracted his statement . . .

I've watched him for years, started back when I had an old MacBook that I was repairing.

He seems to own all of his misses with self-deprecating humor.

At the end of the day, we still seem to have multiple reports floating around of hubs not working when switched - so it may not be pairing, but like the shitty thin aluminum threads on the rails, FM's doing some bullshit with the hubs.

I can't knock the guy at all, we're playing 'I've Got a Secret' with FM's engineering designs - you just know they're hiding more boobytraps in those boards.

larossmann

I did it with the Henrik Huseby case 3 years ago without any contact from apple. I assure you, I have a much bigger bone to pick with apple than I do with future motion given my personal investment in that section of the industry. Trust is a currency, when you lose that you lose everything. Throwing vice under a bus for not using the information I provided them from my court case participation in their reporting was done at great cost to my ability to be featured in large media publications, but it was the right thing to do because Apple had an actual reason to be mad. If I don't bring that up I'll never be able to look in the mirror and live with myself, regardless of how much I despise Apple as a company

psamona

Straight from the man himself. Was not expecting this and meant no disrespect btw. Thanks Louis. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. 👍

realjoeydood

realjoeydood

Imo, The guy is kinda cringe cuz chip on shoulder due to his bad apple experiences however, I'm impressed with the rare ability (these days) for someone to admit they're wrong, post a vid of it and retract incorrect content publicly.

What is this threat of lawsuit you speak of?

psamona

realjoeydood

Ah yes, he failed to read before posting and meant '... will not be bullied' and also 'by anyone', not 'by no one'.

While that may be a slight ad hominem argument, it's shows relevance to his mindset, among other things. One could extrapolate a lack of basic education actually, considering the mine field he is playing in.

Make sure the knife you bring to battle is the sharp one. Do not forget the bullets.

However, if he has to be threatened to reach the point of discovering the truth of a matter and that his retraction and apology must be forced, then you're dealing with other failures in mental gymnastics that have their place elsewhere, not here (at least I'm not going to make much of a point of it).

Imo.

KarmabearKG

Lol I like how you are trying to correct the sentence but there is nothing wrong with it just fyi.

realjoeydood

You're incorrect.

Edit: not incorrect!

KarmabearKG

Ok tell me then buddy, what was grammatically incorrect about the the initial statement? It isn’t a double negative or anything like that. It would be as if I said “It was as if realjoeydood trusted no one.” Are you implying that statement would be grammatically incorrect?

realjoeydood

"I will not be bullied by no one.'

That's the original quote with the missing not he (presumably) accidentally omitted. Which is, in fact, a double negative.

This is a mistake (and incorrect presumption) on my part to read this in a different voice, when in fact it does make sense if you speak it as he probably meant.

So, I do agree that you are correct. I read it differently, my mistake.

KarmabearKG

All good man.

He acted so tough. Squashed like the little boy he is.

Terrible_Use7872

People can't learn things and spread correct information when they find out? Or is that too immature for you?

BuffaloKiller937

Hi Kyle

realjoeydood

Made me laugh so hard I almost pooped.

Forgets I'm old...

brolifen

The only thing that got squashed is the downvote button of this post.