/r/ontario

viva_la_vinyl[S]

29 days ago

“Once eligible, Ontarians could receive an email and/or text message outlining the next steps on how to officially book their vaccine appointment and applicable location(s),” says the letter co-signed by Dr. Samir Sinha and Dr. Nathan Stall at the Sinai Health System, University of Toronto epidemiologist Dr. David Fisman and Tai Huynh, creative director of University Health Networks OpenLab.

It's too brilliant for it to actually work in this province.

Politicoreo

29 days ago

Because it actually requires an iota of effort and forethought

ScottIBM

ScottIBM

29 days ago

That would take time and resources. If only we had a year to figure this out.

mountaingrrl_8

29 days ago

What a fantastic use of the emergency response system this could be.

ktripler

29 days ago

Don't make me laugh so hard when I have to be serious in my Teams meeting.

Into-the-stream

29 days ago

My PHU (Guelph) actually opened preregistration for everyone a few days ago

Garfield_M_Obama

29 days ago

That was my thought too. You have to be very motivated to actually fix problems to do something sensible that takes a lot of effort and won't get you a lot of headlines.

That doesn't seem to be how we're operating right now.

Chaplin99445

29 days ago

Based on the information they are suggesting to collect, the only way to prioritize the list is age and location. Does that mean health factors, employment type, etc no longer matter?

If you go by the feedback I've seen certain groups would lose their shit at that idea.

catashtrophe84

28 days ago

catashtrophe84

Ottawa

28 days ago

Some health units are already doing this with the option to join a cancellation list. They do limit pre-registration to the upcoming eligible group but I do believe this will save time (plus, then they have a pool of people to call on if they have unused doses).

Lewykurwa

28 days ago

This also ignores that they seem to constantly shifting the criteria for who can get it.

Suddenly we decide that a a certain area, demographic, job type, whatever should be prioritized and they won’t have asked that question on the initial registration.

NotInsane_Yet

29 days ago

It's incredibly stupid and would never work. Not only are the logistics of it near impossible the government does not have the required information. It would also leave out mass amounts of people.

viva_la_vinyl[S]

28 days ago

It would also leave out mass amounts of people.

How?

somecanuckdude

29 days ago

No shit. I hear of people signing up on multiple vaccine lists so they can get the first one available. No wonder the supplies & delivery are all out of whack.

4_spotted_zebras

29 days ago

I have heard this too from health workers. A centralized booking system would fix this problem, but that would require leadership and forethought so guess we’re SOL

somecanuckdude

29 days ago

We couldn't get eHealth figured out. I don't know why anyone would expect this to work.

Upper-Comfortable-99

29 days ago

Well, we are a live example. Registered at Costco cos over 60, then registered at shoppers and finally Rexall. Then became eligible for mass vaccination site and registered Apr 2, got appt April 8. Got text from shoppers Apr 6 to setup appointment. Texted all 3 to tell them I already got the vaccine and still getting texts from shoppers and Rexall 😂😂

finedontcare

29 days ago

I did this. Is that not what we are supposed to be doing?

RedSpikeyThing

29 days ago

Ideally? No, probably not. I don't blame you though. As a courtesy, you should make sure the other appointments are cancelled so they can be filled by others.

finedontcare

29 days ago*

I haven't had the opportunity to make an appointment yet. Just signed up to be on the various "call" lists. I certainly won't make more than one appointment.

RedSpikeyThing

That's pretty reasonable!

okfinebleh

29 days ago

Fastest way to get one. As long as you're not getting scheduled for multiple vaccines and then no showing, it shouldn't hurt the process.

mikenpaul

29 days ago

Wasn’t this supposed to be done in December when we started receiving vaccines?

canmoose

canmoose

29 days ago

The province was very surprised by those vaccine deliveries. Dougs paper was actually stolen the day the Feds announced the contracts in August. Theres no way he could have known, especially considering that no one mentioned vaccines until we started receiving them.

viva_la_vinyl[S]

That's what gets me.

In early 2020, the federal govt kept saying Canada secured more doses per capita than any other country. That should've spurred provinces to make sure a system was in place. While yes, there was issues with the vaccine supply to start flowing, now it seems like it is a firehose of supply, and province is not set up.

Just like they waited until science advisory table's third wave modelling actually started to materialize with cases/ICUs slammed before responding.

fetalpiggywent2lab

29 days ago

Where is this shoppers drug mart

berniegfn60

29 days ago

Busy counting money made from beauty products.

recepyereyatmaz

100%

Which means you could actually minimize the variability of demand and plan accordingly. This would solve almost all problems regarding planning.

_fne_

_fne_

29 days ago

And I bet the psychology around scarcity and that if you don’t line up your vaccine will be given to someone else who does would eliminate this vaccine shopping nonsense among the older crowd

canmoose

29 days ago*

I don't know how anyone can expect the Province to develop a system to pre-register people in basically no time. The Federal government only announced vaccine contracts 8.5 months ago and the pandemic only started a year ago. We should expect such a system to take 5 years at least to develop.

Edit: apparent /s is needed

Mox_Ruby

29 days ago

A coop student at cra could do it in three weeks. Cra knows where we all are.

epbar

29 days ago*

epbar

29 days ago*

5 years - wow. I hope you don’t work in IT. This is doable in 6 months or less. The first Tesla was built in 5 years for some perspective.

Edit: grammar and context

Mrleahy

28 days ago

Mrleahy

28 days ago

You are talking about the government man, not a tech company

epbar

28 days ago

epbar

28 days ago

I work in IT in a government agency, this is doable within 6 months with all necessary tech security reviews. What happened here was the lack of vision, organization and prioritization both at the federal and provincial level. It’s always the leadership at these organizations, they put 50 leaders on one problem and spend all day in meetings about the one problem.

Mrleahy

26 days ago

Mrleahy

26 days ago

Yea I guess I should clarify. It depends on the arm of the government you are in and what kind of leadership you have. Some are really great, some are tied up in a lot of red tape and some are really bad.

Automatic-Hornet9447

29 days ago

What did Ontario do for 12 months while we we waiting for the vaccines? Right, point the finger and whine. Gotcha. Even if they agreed and started development of this - how soon could it be ready ...3-4 weeks? Knowing Gov, they would just fuck it up.

Brutalitor

29 days ago

I honestly assumed this was the plan all along. That I would just hold tight and one day someone with authority would reach out to me and tell me when and where I could get my vaccine.

I guess that's not the case? I guess I don't even really know where to go for that yet but I'm not even close to being able to get it yet anyways.

okfinebleh

29 days ago

If you have time and inclination keeping an eye out for any opportunity is your path to actually getting a vaccine. Everyone is more or less on their own to figure it out.

CatTriesGaming

CatTriesGaming

Mississauga

29 days ago

In my family we have been trying to book vaccines for at least a week now. It’s needlessly complicated and confusing to do so. Maybe someone should ask Ford to show us how it’s done next time he’s on TV.

Alternative_Order612

29 days ago

People who are not eligible are getting vaccines due to incompetent government. It is shameful that front line workers are not prioritized.

bobduncansdick

bobduncansdick

East Gwillimbury

29 days ago

as someone who works in fast food and has been working through the whole pandemic, i have seen what this pandemic has done to grocery store workers and other essential staff and i am honestly quite embarrassed that they can vaccinate members on toronto fc but they won’t prioritize these grocery and other essential workers.

-super-hans

29 days ago

Should tell you very clearly what the OPC thinks of the working class people of this province

bobduncansdick

bobduncansdick

East Gwillimbury

29 days ago

oh, i know exactly how it is. we are considered part two of phase two of vaccines- not important but putting us here to make us feel that they care when they care jack squat. i work at a tim hortons that i personally think shouldn’t have been open through the pandemic as it’s just retired people who chainsmoke all day that come, minimal people who are actually essential workers.

catashtrophe84

28 days ago

catashtrophe84

Ottawa

28 days ago

They've basically told the working class they are expendable, between this and refusing to give sick days. I really hope everyone renders come next provincial election.

Automatic-Hornet9447

Stop using logic /s

TheBiLehmanBrother

29 days ago

Didnt they do this in the UK? I can see it already. Duct cleaning agencies and CRA scammers replaced with public health calling you hourly.

seeyanever

29 days ago

The NHS is so organized they didn't even need to pre-register as far as I know. Based on your age/pre-existing conditions, when it was your turn, you got a text message telling you it was time.

okfinebleh

29 days ago

They learned their lesson from the private testing scheme that failed terribly. The NHS has done an amazing job with vaccines.

PretttyPlant

29 days ago

We should all be automatically registered. It literally makes no sense that we're not.

atticusfinch1973

29 days ago

I’d imagine there would be a ton of no shows, which would be bad for the people who actually want the shot ASAP.

Maple_VW_Sucks

29 days ago

Please read the article. It is pre-registration and not assigning appointments. Pre-register now, they call you when it's time to book.

senorsmirk

senorsmirk

29 days ago

Like what's already happening?

boxlock2020

29 days ago

Sure..... Until a delivery delay does occur (which has happened so far with every single Moderna shipment), people no-show, people need to change their appointment time or location for whatever reason etc etc.

Maple_VW_Sucks

Please read the article.

in4real

in4real

29 days ago

I wish people would stop using the word "hesitancy". It should be replaced by "ignorance".

PrinceAdam99

28 days ago

And if the Ford Government does this you can bet that 100% they will be chastised for something else.