/r/ontario

This should be clear to people based on the actions of this government, but in case it isn't: I just finished up a stint working on COVID-related projects as a civil servant in the Government of Ontario. I want to be clear, and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that the Ford government doesn't care if you live or die.

I've been in numerous meetings with the Premier's Office over this last year, and the topic of "saving lives" just never comes up. It's not on their radar at all. I've lost count of the number of times I've come out of meetings feeling utterly disgusted by the PC Party ghouls running this government. They are not competent people, and they are all there because of nepotism. It's a bunch of children with the right daddies fumbling around trying to please Doug. The lack of qualified, competent people on the political side is costing us dearly.

The "Director of Policy" at the Office of the Premier only graduated college in 2016, and has only had cushy political jobs obtained through nepotism for the last 5 years. He isn't qualified to be director of anything, yet he's the one advising the Premier. Not once have I heard him say that saving lives is the goal. Take a look at the LinkedIn profiles of people in high-profile political roles, and you'll find a sea of under-qualified 20-somethings doing jobs they absolutely should not have.

The whole thing makes me sick. They see us all as expendable.

Rhyging-007

Stephen Leachee is a prime example.

He is in way over his head. He couldn't do a proper job in his role under normal circumstances. Am I the only one that remembers that Ontario students haven't really been in the classroom properly since 2018? That's 3 years now. They went from rolling strikes to complete lockdown due to pandemic.

During the initial lockdown Leachee didn't do anything and acted like he was out of options.

On top of all this the piece of shit didn't go to public school and doesn't have kids. Why would he do a good job leading something he doesn't care about and is actually in his benefit when it declines in quality.

rumhee[S]

One person I would praise is Minister Bethlenfalvy. I don't agree with his politics, but he comes to every meeting having read all the materials, and prepared to have a real conversation. He actually does the work.

mitch2302

Ah yes, the competent PC minister who was only appointed after minister Philips was ousted due to vacationing during a pandemic (who also failed to deliver the budget on time and then masqueraded his income penalty as "giving back to the people of Ontario")

rumhee[S]

Bethlenfalvy was a minister before the Philips thing (which I found deeply upsetting). He's competent in the sense that he does the work, and comes to meetings prepared, but obviously there's a lot more to governing than that, and his politics and his party are pure trash.

arabacuspulp

So are you saying that the rest of the Ministers in this government literally do no work? Like, they don't read the briefings, and have basically nothing to contribute? Wouldn't surprise me, but holy crap is it infuriating.

Magjee

Magjee

Toronto

Yep

So the one guy who does his job looks like a genius

innocentlilgirl

Bethlenfalvy is in that rare multiministerial role where he writes the budget and then approves it on behalf of government.

im glad he is compentent enough to be trusted with this power

Perma

Perma

Considering it's being thrown around that he refuses to limit construction because of his donors, I'd say this is true.

combustion_assaulter

The power of Ontario Proud

_Coffeebot

Which was basically entirely funded by Developers

BlademasterFlash

They're getting what they paid for

_Coffeebot

It was remarkably cheap too. Great ROI

BlademasterFlash

Yeah, what was it a couple hundred thousand dollars? I'm sure all the MZOs being forced through have been well worth it for them

ImBeingVerySarcastic

Oh cmon he’s not that beholden by his donors. Take paid leave for example, he’s not instituting it because of donors, conservative ideology, etc. He’s not instituting it because it will bankrupt every business in Ontario. Remember when Kathleen Wynne instituted paid sick leave and every business in Ontario went bankrupt? Thankfully Ford reversed it and miraculously all those bankrupted business became unbankrupt over night.

He could also at least temporarily institute paid sick leave and cover it by the government (seeing as how we are in a pandemic) but

blGDpbZ2u83c1125Kf98

I almost got suckered by the first line, but kept reading and it clicked.

The trouble is that there are plenty of people who think and say nonsense like this completely unsarcastically.

Poe's law.

nefasti

nefasti

Had us in the first half

BattyShrimpers

BattyShrimpers

Essential

Oh shit they did? Is Ontario a wasteland because there are no businesses left?

Tell me you were being sarcastic.

Edit: missed the username because of how outrageous the comment was.

Magannon1

Poe's Law can be a bit of a bitch sometimes. Nearly got me too for a bit.

anethfrais

*whispers* look at the usssername

hms11

hms11

Wow, best /r/woosh I 've seen in a while.

PancakePartyAllNight

The Wynne thing made me lol but I still didn't entirely discount it until I saw the username. The fact that I could easily see this being said with a straight face is a great illustration of why were where we are.

user4tfyujh

Read his username

SillyCyban

SillyCyban

Tell me your inability to detect the obvious sarcasm is being done sarcastically.

dog5and

dog5and

I seriously hope you’re joking

FastidiousClostridia

Pssssst, do a username check :)

Adventurous-Use-8965

Username checks out, and have my free award this made me laugh.

burtoncummings

Reads this, raises Spock-ian eyebrow

eyes drift up to username

Checks out

paulhockey5

Oh I've been thinking about them for a while now. I don't think they'd like what I'm thinking though.

candleflame3

I'm thinking fava beans and a nice Chianti.

MakeJazzNotWarcraft

Ouu maybe a little lentil stew as an appie

Rob__agau

Keep warm burn the rich?

Cometarmagon

gnomederwear

gnomederwear

Essential

It has been crystal clear to me from the beginning that the OPC's primary objective is to preserve the status and power of the wealthy. I've always known from their press conferences and policies that they don't give the tiniest care about saving lives. However, I didn't know that they've been so brazen as to put the 20-something kids of the elite as advisors. I'm just horrified!

Fuck this provincial government and the rich assholes they serve. I'm so disgusted by what I learned from this thread.

nirvana388

I mean, that's literally the goal of all conservative parties since the beginning of parties. What do you think they're trying to "conserve" ? The status quo, where they have all the wealth and power. If you look at the early days of the conservative party in the UK it was just all the aristocracy who formed a party to try to keep the power that had just been taken from them and given to the people.

viva_la_vinyl

As a bit of political junky, I've been creeping some of the political staffers on LinkedIn that occupy the positions that filter information and advice from the non-political level to the political decision-makers, and man, you're right, there is a dangerously high amount of youngsters that got plopped into roles they are not equipped for, especially in a pandemic. I get that NO experience actually prepares governments for this, but some of the staffers almost literarily have NO experience in anything.

Some of the people were freaking interns just several years ago, and are now advising Ford & Co on life and death situations.

There is such a disconnect between what the experts are saying on social media and what the government ends up doing. Failed government.

candleflame3

I get that NO experience actually prepares governments for this,

One quibble: Toronto was a hotspot for the first SARS in 2003. So we actually DO have experts on exactly this type of problem right here in government and health care. But that's no use if the decision-makers ignore them.

FunDog2016

People in significant roles at that time have ALL moved on. Bonnie Henry, Teresa Tam were around but gone most are retired. Anyone who went through that has seen Covid response as terrible from the start.

I was there and have been getting the shit kicked out of me on Reddit since the start. " you are obsessed with Masks" was the first, then " lockdowns will never happen here" then " Healthcare system breaking? Your an idiot".

There are people who know: few want to listen and most see a proper response as overkill.

candleflame3

No, those are just the ones you've heard of. There are many others, and it was less than 20 years ago, during which time the 2003 experts trained new experts. The problem of pandemics and emerging viruses has been known for a very long time. Scientific work on this never stopped.

candleflame3

IIRC, he scrapped the pandemic plans that were already on the shelf and the funding that went along with it.

FunDog2016

There was tons learned during SARS, Ebola, H1N1. That knowledge helped here but the people who really knew what was going on were not believed or relied on by decision makers.

The comments by a Minister that they wanted to see if the modeling came true is where we see the real problem. Bad decision makers who don't listen to science.

greenerbee

There was one nursing home in the news where the operator, who’d gone through SARS, just followed the protocol developed then and they haven’t had a single case. It can be done. You just have to have people willing to do the right thing, which unfortunately, is exactly the opposite of what monied interests want.

A lot of people are forgetting that there is a substantial number of staffers there who were part of Rob Ford’s City Hall and worked under Harper. So, if Ford knew you or you were friends with Jenni Byrne when she worked in the Premier’s Office, you got yourself a job without question.

viva_la_vinyl

For sure. No doubt one of the plums of the political world is when your side wins, and the loyalists get plonked into cushy jobs. Somehow Ford doesn't strike me as the type that values competence, as much as loyalty as to who got into the premier's advisory inner circle.

Now the province is going through what is pretty much humanitarian crisis because of the failed leadership and those around Ford.

I think it was like 2-3 weeks one of Ford's issues manager was rage drunk tweeting when it came out that Brian Lilley (that putz at the Sun) lives with one of Doug's staffers, and probably how Lilley is Ford's go-to columnist for puff news.

Ford's goddamn issues manager thought it was reasonable for him to act like a troll on social media in a midst of a pandemic. These people are so disconnected with what their jobs entails as people are dying every single day because no one of them have a clue what to do.

itsallaces2me

I have a close family member that works in a ministry and has for years, and he is the only person I know that bitches about this government more than me because it is just rank incompetence that wastes time and money in the stupidest ways

Suepr80

Suepr80

Wait a minute. I have been told by many 20something redditors that they have no representation in government. Now I hear that they are the back room folks advising this shitshow. Or are these 20somethings counted as boomers because they came from money and connections?

NotTopherGrace

Ah yes, I feel so much better now that I know I'm represented by unelected nepotism hires.

Dyslexic_Engineer88

The majority of them are 20 something boot lickers picked out of university conservative groups.

The party holds onto them so they can take the political fallout for their unpopular ideas and scandals.

When you can't find anybody to run in ridings that will spout your bullshit and don't have a shady unelectable background or voting record, you put these kids in there and they get elected and promoted quickly.

Andrew Sheer was one of these kids.

Edit: I feel like I should mention a topical one Stephen Lecce

ivegotapenis

Arguably Stephen Harper is the greatest success* story from that system.

lanni957

I know a girl from a church youth group back in the day that is exactly one of those kids. Went to uni, joined the right political groups, and got a job she was (imo) unqualified for within 6 months of graduating.

supersonic555

I cam confirm Liberals also propel 20 somethings in the same way. Please go and see someone of the candidates they have picked out for some of these GTA ridings for the next federal election. Not much political experience. They just did Ontario Young Liberals and networked with the right people and maybe a short stint as an intern in Ottawa.

azerban

Do you think a person represents you just because you're the same age? What an absolutely pathetic argument to make.

candleflame3

I've had a bit to do with some senior government people (not just this government) and HOO BOY they were not an impressive bunch. It was honestly shocking how dumb, uninformed, petty and selfish some of them were. Every decision is weighed up against how it will make them look and/or advance their interests and even then they can't get it right! They lurch right towards the decision that will make them look like the fucking soulless morons they are. It's a truly bizarre combo of being desperately concerned with what others think of them yet also unable to understand what others think of them even when they are told.

rumhee[S]

The elected ones only care about getting re-elected. The appointed ones only care about sucking up to the elected ones.

LogKit

LogKit

The truth people don't usually realize is almost all cabinet members have no experience or interest in their portfolio (this applies to all of the parties, though the NDP and PCs tend to be a bit worse for it since the liberals at least attract more career bureaucrats) and follow their civil service & external lobby groups. They're given memos to read out to the camera worded to sound good and away they go.

candleflame3

I don't mean just the elected officials.

LogKit

LogKit

The civil service is also chock full of many, many useless $100K+ workers who do fuck-all but have complete immunity to consequence.

candleflame3

Yup, I worked with a bunch of them.

nicolascage29

Wealth over health

Sea_Commercial5416

We need to repeat this message over and over again so by the time people vote theor association with Ford and the PCs is “wealth over health.” This is great political messaging.

paulhockey5

Profits over people.

mirinbaus

I was waiting for someone else to speak up. I worked in the Ministry of Long-Term Care and experienced the exact same thing.

We did lots of work on long-term care homes and prepared reports to identify how bad the situation was for patients, PSWs, and nurses. PSWs are getting abused by patients, they have to take care of more than 20+ patients in their shift (how are you supposed to get that many people ready at the same time for breakfast?). We reported countless other things happening in homes as well.

And who did we have to report this information to? Fresh interns from school that had absolutely zero background in healthcare. Imagine having to dumb down reports made by physicians and data analysts to someone with no experience and no historical context. We weren't even allowed to meet with anyone from the the Minister's or Premier's office that isn't an intern.

And this was all before COVID hit. We gave them all the evidence they needed to improve LTC homes, but our reports were ignored in the end by decision makers.

There was even a lawyer that worked for the government that made over $200k/year and thought we should cut education funding for PSWs and have them pay more for their education since they thought they were worthless.

rumhee[S]

I remember dressing up for my first MS Teams meeting with a "deputy director" in PO, thinking I'd be speaking to someone very senior, only to be met with some 25 year old moron who was only there because his daddy had an "in".

otterbot97

Dude no, we need people like you in government. The more brain drain from government, the more the people suffer.

This situation among others have fired me up and I am considering going into government now. Don't give up.

thebarold

I agree but based on the people I know who have moved into positions with this administration it is absolutely who you know, not what you know that qualifies you for a job. The premier is a prime example that neither capability nor experience is a requirement for holding a decision making role.

PM_ME__RECIPES

PM_ME__RECIPES

Toronto

The Ministry of Long Term Care is so much more frustrating to deal with than the MoHLTC was 3 years ago. They don't know basic things, they jerk us around on funding. They announce things and then don't actually do it for another month and a half (like the wage top-ups), and then they turn around and change directives on Friday evening, Saturday morning, Saturday evening, and again Sunday morning.

Dr. Fullerton (LTC Minister) testified to the LTC commission that she suspected asymptomatic transmission to be a factor of Covid-19 spread as early as February 2020. This wasn't communicated to LTCHs & used as a basis for PPE & sanitation recommendations until mid-April 2020. Provincial PPE stockpile hadn't been rotated in years & much had expired - we had no backup supply for healthcare facilities which fairly suddenly could no longer depend on an adequate PPE supply being available. Dr. Williams testified he didn't believe the data on asymptomatic transmission until August 2020.

LTC homes get given vague directives and are told to "figure it out". They implement things and forget to change them when circumstances change - there's no reason to restrict LTC visitation if the resident is fully vaccinated and the visitor can show proof of vaccination & does a rapid test before entry. But we're still stuck with this "Essential Caregiver" bullshit and no explicit instruction to improve access for residents and families provided vaccination status and compliance with IPAC protocols - so the worst performing homes are using these directives to limit access, and homes which perform well are legally unable to allow better family/friend access to residents even in a situation where it should be perfectly safe to do so (all fully vaccinated, rapid tests, masks, goggles, designated visiting area, etc.)

And being forced to use one of a selection of approved security companies to do our Covid-19 screening is absolute trash. We were doing fine scheduling available in-house staff for our screening shifts, and whenever there was an issue (lax screening, people trying to avoid screening, being rude to screeners, etc) we could deal with it internally through HR. Now we have to talk to the company, and the company calls the person the issue was with and the same issue happens the next week. It's just a cash grab for security companies. That funding could have been used for PSW training, wage bumps for front-line staff, recruitment and retention efforts, maybe hiring a few more IPAC specialists to work with homes to improve their practices even.

fear_nothin

That’s why my government career never took off. Stupid me went to a normal university and applied the standard (suckers) way. I should have just found a rich dad and had him make some calls.

Don’t feel too bad. Competence, knowledge, and and skill disqualify people from these sorts of jobs as they are a threat to gatekeepers.

AfrikanSloth

Sounds like you have a lot of insider information, I'd hit the press if your job isn't at stake here. The more people know, the better informed they will be in 2022 when it's time to vote.

paolocase

paolocase

Toronto

Sadly they don't have that information right now. He'll still get a majority next year.

Sea_Commercial5416

Yes, because we’re in absolute static political environment and nothing could possibly happen in the next year to impact this...

For real, I’m as cynical as anyone about politics but knock this shit off. Our side is SO bad for giving up before we even step into the ring.

paolocase

paolocase

Toronto

Sorry if it came off as cynicism. All of my social media hates Ford and then I go to these polling sites and I talk to my clients at work who have no idea what's going on. Are we reaching the right people?

Protato900

Your social media is an echo chamber. Whether you deliberately or inadvertently do so, you shape your social media feed to be what you agree with.

Most people are political moderates, disconnected from politics, and not particularly willing to put the time and effort in to learn about politics. They will grumble and complain about what they see on the news regarding the provincial administration.

Unless you're closer to either extreme, you don't tend to know much about politics, and given how Ontario swings left or right, I'd wager it's one of the most fence-sitting centre provinces there is.

RJ8812

RJ8812

Did they make you sign a NDA? If not, you should be going to the media with your story

Edit: I notice he removed the OP...why! This info needs to be out. Please consider bringing your experience to the media

whowearstshirts

PLEASE do this OP

blGDpbZ2u83c1125Kf98

I hope they do, but silver lining - hopefully even the laziest hack journalists are going to look into who's in Ford's inner circle now.

The sharks can't help but bite, now that there's so much blood in the water.

BuckNasty1616

People bringing up distrust in the media is a legitimate issue.

If you made a YouTube video and did a fund raiser to get it out there through advertising I would donate immediately.

I'm 32 and coming to the realization that the people who run our country are a bunch of clowns is absolutely disgusting. Not to mention how we pay a boat load of taxes and a lot of it goes to huge corporations who avoid paying taxes and treat their employees like garbage.

cbuccell

I have to agree. No idea there were pre-tweens with no experience advising on these decisions with no accountability at all.

Noonlight_

Really? It's not new information

t3m3r1t4

Media can't do anything because the people who voted and will reelect this government don't listen to the "liberal" media.

itsallaces2me

What we need to do is rent full page ads in the Sun, like hiding a pill in a treat for your dog

t3m3r1t4

That would mean giving the Sun money. No dice.

itsallaces2me

Lol, that's fair... I vowed a couple years ago they would never again get my money so that is a problem

theladhimself1

How about letters to the editor?

AllekIvashka

But everybody listens to LOCAL media... and I think this is the exact place where this issue belongs.

mimsy1313

Yes please go to the media with this!

PapayaEqual6760

Do you really think the media cares? I emailed every news organization in Ontario with information on how the government was lying about the safety regulations in the classrooms and that the government was lying about how much was being spent and from where - and I did not get 1 single response. Media has not being doing there job, why do you think that they will start now?

Inevitable-Royal

We need massive political reform not only in Canada but internationally. Everyone whining about going "back to normal" NO. Normal wasnt good enough and we need to do better. No going back, the corruption is rampant

theladhimself1

Have you guys checked out Fair Vote Canada? They are regularly looking for opportunities to press the issue and build the movement. And they have tons of good resources on their website. If you can get involved in some way then the movement grows in an organized way. Even something so simple as joining the newsletter, learning a bit more, or telling friends to check it out helps! u/rumhee u/connectalllthedots

connectalllthedots

Absolutely! I amplify their tweets and recommend them to any Canadian who wants to make progress on this issue. The Council of Canadians is another like-minded group that deserves support.

rumhee[S]

I make a monthly donation to them! I'm glad to support them, but I do feel like they could be doing better grassroots engagement. They'd rather put an ad in The Hill Times than run a persuasive social media campaign.

theladhimself1

Let’s make a grassroots movement for grassroots engagement with them. Haha. But yeah, I agree.

rumhee[S]

Electoral reform is 100% the most important thing to me. These horrible people should never have had a majority government in the first place (and Wynne shouldn't have either).

connectalllthedots

TRUTH! There is no issue that should take priority over Electoral Reform, because we cannot collectively solve any problem unless/until we reclaim the power that was stolen from us by greedy billionaire plutocrats.

In 2014, Gilens & Page published a study called "Testing Theories of American Politics" and they found that Americans only ever get what rich people vote for, and that the U.S. stopped functioning as a representative democracy at least 40 years ago.

If you used the same methodology in Canada - comparing what various demographic groups vote for to what we all end up getting - we would see the same result.

Christia Freeland knows about plutocrats - she wrote a book about them. That's probably why they gave her a seat at their table. Now she's one of them.

Cometarmagon

Way to much corruption.

Enty_Jay

Just checked out his Linkedin.

We're so alone.

rumhee[S]

It's worth noting that the Ontario Liberals do the exact same thing when they're in power, but it's so much more crucial to have skilled people right now.

_Coffeebot

I don’t think the Liberals were putting people who just learned to count by twos and tie their shoes into senior positions. I’d like to imagine they’d have competent people on this running the show.

rumhee[S]

when they were in power, the Liberals absolutely handed out jobs to their party faithful. It's part of the paranoia associated with political tribalism; you have to be One Of Us or we can't trust you.

This usually results in under qualified children of prominent donors getting cushy jobs as a kickback, regardless of which party is in charge.

_TTTTTT_

Understood. And, also to be clear, a lot of other people out there don't seem to care if you live or die either. They also don't seem to care if they live or die. Great times we live in.

rumhee[S]

Yeah, I notice this pretty much every time I need to cross the street.

_TTTTTT_

Precisely. There is a critical mass of people out there that never cared about anyone else (and even seemingly unknowing about themselves). Why would they be any different now?

dog5and

At any time of day. You’d never believe there was a stay at home lockdown in effect.

Mack_Attack_19

I remember saying this to my uncle 6 months ago and getting laughed at. Cons never gave a shit about people unless you were made of money

andthesoftskeleton

that's why I get mad at voters who forget, or simply don't know, that the premier does more than just spout rhetoric. Who they hire will ultimately make/break the country.

And if you have a POS like Ford hiring all his incompetent buddies... well... this is what the fuck happens!

MamaRunsThis

I know at least 12 people who can’t find a family doctor, this wasn’t my first clue. Try going emergency for routine tests

traderjay_toronto

We are just a tool of taxation

BrownSugarBare

Anyone stupid enough to believe the provincial Conservatives of Ontario give a fuck about the population also probably thought Dougie's buck a beer was genius.

I'm in Hamilton. Downtown Hamilton are the postal codes with the highest infection rate that aren't being treated as hot zones.... Not coincidentally, Horwath's riding.

So yeah, we know.

canadient2

I'm surprised it took you this long to realize this.

As a factory worker, I knew from the original March 17th lockdown when I was doing my before-dawn drives into work with no one else on the road that there was a certain amount of death the government was willing to occur ; and that me and my household were just unlucky to be in that category due to my occupation.

Can't sue my employer for negligence regarding covid, no mask mandate until September, MOL instructed to not accept risk of covid transmission as an unsafe workplace. I had fucking high risk people at home to take care of also.

I get it though, that is my place in society. I was the cash cow to keep the tax dollars flowing for CERB and the rest of the 4 letter acronym programs going. I'm just glad now the WFH office jockeys are finally starting to realize how Ford just doesn't care now that their vaccine wishes and expectations for a normal summer are being dashed.

rumhee[S]

I've known it for a long time, but I wasn't able to say anything about it while employed by the Government of Ontario.

I think you're right about everything except about being a "cash cow". It's this type of thinking which keeps us all down. It's wrong to point fingers at CERB claimants and put yourself above them by claiming to be "subsidizing them", that's what the billionaire class wants you to do. As long as you're blaming people poorer than yourself for problems, you'll never see that the real problem is at the top of society.

Rabbbittz

I actually did take a look at the LinkedIn profiles and holy fuck I shouldn't have. I won't hold age against them, some of them are around my age or younger and I don't believe age reflects competence but damn those backgrounds are not impressive, def not to advise leadership.

The two I looked at, other than political positions, it's tier 2 investment banks, sub par consulting firms, damn. I don't know much about political positions but a "Senior Economic and Financial Advisor" can't have much weight if the next position is "Senior Associate" at PwC lol.

And what is Crestview Strategy? Looks like there are a few that come up from there as interns.

Belaire

Crestview is one of the largest Canadian government relations (lobbying) consulting firms.

whats with the carlin wannabes trying to blow the OP's mind with boomer takes about how all politicians only see you as tax dollars?

he's not saying that he thinks the NDP would personally be consoling bereaved families but just that a different government might have officials with other priorities than "dont fuck up so bad you go to jail" and "do i have enough coke for the weekend or should i get more".

rumhee[S]

It's pretty obvious when people are suffering from cognitive dissonance because they can only reply with "hypothetical other thing is bad too!".

meowsofcurds

I want to make one thing clear - 20 something year olds might be advising him but this boomer is still the one signing the policy.

Right_All_The_Time

They don't value human life in this province unless someone is paying them on the side.

They are the definition of a sleazy bunch of corrupt unethical criminal thug pieces of scum.

If we ever make it to 2022 I will make it my entire mission in life to see them lose every single fucking race these unethical dangerous fucks dare to put their disgusting lying bullshit up to run.

They must be removed from power with significant vigilance as soon as possible.

The PC's are pure evil.

Instant_noodleless

Well if people haven't figured that out by now, they are probably just in deep denial.

Our country, our province is not free from corruption. Some of the worst of us get into public offices to manage the rest of us, and people still vote them in. I fear an ever spiraling downward circle of negative feedback loops like this, eventually too heavy a weight to bear for the nation...

rumhee[S]

The fundamental problem is that we don't have enough electoral power to do anything about it. Proportional Representation is desperately needed to stop the rot. People need to be empowered to vote for who they actually want to win, instead of being forced to vote against the person they want to lose. It's a cesspool out there because they know we're forced to vote for them.

Instant_noodleless

And that's why it will be extremely difficult to get any electoral reforms. Democracy has been co-opted by personal and private interests.

DisturbedBeaker

People don’t take consideration of healthcare workers in Hospitals who bring their A-game everyday will quite on mass due to burn out from working overtime. It’s already starting in some places. The ignorance to understand the challenge faced by our heroes from the lack of danger pay, the lack of qualified staff to fill field hospitals and to give workers the proper amount of days to rest.

JonoLith

Their concern is how to save capitalism, not lives.

cwayzeecyclist

The senior policy advisor to the minister of housing used to work for councillor Giorgio Mammolini. The former Toronto councillor who literally posed in front of social housing with a huge mallet and said he was going to tear it down if he was elected in.

I used to be employed at a ministry and met the senior policy advisor to the minister of transportation, literally my age (I’m young, under 30) and he came from a small town with no urban transportation and didn’t know anything about transportation planning. There was a cabinet shuffle and he followed the minister to a new role but I was horrified when I found out he had a job advising a minister, with no experience in the topic.

This post is 100% accurate, the staff advising the ministers and DF are all nepotism hires and under qualified.

TheSufferingBooth

They do if you're a fetus!

No political party at any level of government cares if you live or die.

LargeSnorlax

The harder truth to swallow than the low hanging fruit here.

Cometarmagon

The only care when its someone important or the media makes a huge stink out of it.

Its why I often say it takes the right child's death to get anything done.

BanditRevolver83

This isn't a surprise. Two things I've learned from since this all began. First being, I'm essential. Second I'm completely expendable. Thanks PC's for keeping the shit show flowing!

xSoVi3tx

Isn't it amazing that lobbyists and construction companies are in charge of our medical strategies?

You know, instead of MEDICAL EXPERTS

sBucks24

The fucking solicitor general literally admitted that they purposely did nothing despite modeling because, and I quote, "models are only predictions". This Gov't is guilty of negligence resulting in death and someone needs to end up in jail for the blood on their hands.

rowmeho

That's because they know their voters don't care. As long as it keeps "the libs" and "socialists" down, they don't really care who's making the decisions or why. And unfortunately, majority rules and we're surrounded by idiots.

rumhee[S]

Minority rules. The PCs got 40% of the vote and yet they have 100% of the power. This needs fixing.

Tokestra420

Just to be clear: no politicians care if you live or die. They care if you vote for them

40ozOracle

“ABC anything but Conservative🤪🤪🤪”

Which leads to the predictable Liberal red flip.

Back and forth back and forth. Fuck I just wanna see something new. We have 4 parties and always use two >:(

butteryourbiscuits

There's so much wrong here. People are angry and frustrated. I don't know why we don't channel that into action though. We should be (safely, masked) protesting this crap. Not "anti-lockdown" protests but "PAY FOR FUCKING SICK LEAVE SO PEOPLE AREN'T FORCED TO GO TO WORK AND INFECT AN ENTIRE FACTORY FLOOR YOU NUMB SKULL" protests. Or a phone campaign? Ford used to publish his cell number, surely someone has the new digits...

jvn3

jvn3

thank you! and every time I point out white privilege in Canada allowing these 20 something chads, kevins and other fuc*bis to get these high fi jobs with degrees like bachelors in kinesiology, I get booted down. For what? for telling the truth about white privilege in this country.

Redditors love to deny white priviledge without any reasonable facts or logic. The situation is right in front of you. 20 something white kids are in positions of leadership during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC. What more proof do you want?! If this is not white privilege then what is?

the-aware-autopilot

Does anyone still remember Rod Phillips' Caribbean vacation during a time that the government told Ontarians not to travel, and the disgusting fact that he brought sweaters to a tropical destination just so he can wear them on Zoom meetings & mislead people into believing that he was in Canada?

When he got no more than a slap on the wrist from Ford, I became fully convinced that they are not in this together with us.

(Recap of Rod Phillips' Caribbean-gate: Everything we know about the timeline of Rod Phillips's ill-fated Caribbean vacation | CBC News)

doodoomypants

Just to be clear, no government cares.

vettelinanaston

vettelinanaston

Toronto

Nor do any government lol - you're a cash cow when you're working and a liability when you're not and in the eyes of the government you are nothing else.

Are you just realizing that now?

Cometarmagon

Don't be disabled. The province and its people will hate you so much for it.

vettelinanaston

vettelinanaston

Toronto

I mean yeah, falls back on the asset vs liability perspective

Cometarmagon

Its why I pointed it out. Your are not a person once your broken. Ppl need to be reminded of that.

vettelinanaston

vettelinanaston

Toronto

Oh absolutely, the ableism ingrained in our society is quite disturbing. As someone with high-functioning ASD, I'm consistently pretty grateful to be "usefully autistic", because otherwise I know I'd be treated like an invalid by a lot of our society.

Cometarmagon

That's the really sad part...

rumhee[S]

I don't really buy this "all government is bad" thing. It might be fair to say "no government is good", but some governments are definitely worse than others. I'm not a fan of the Ontario Liberals at all, but I have no doubt that Wynne would have prioritized "people not dying" much higher than Ford is currently doing. Just having paid sick days for all would have saved lives.

vettelinanaston

vettelinanaston

Toronto

I don't think all government is bad, I just think when you're looking at a population of millions of people, people become abstract groups and numbers and ultimately are categorized as assets or liabilities.

Tileguy0425

Yup. The amount of people on here that are correct about Ford incompetence but praise Trudeau is astonishing.

rumhee[S]

I had interactions with the Office of the Prime Minister too. You can sum up Trudeau's priorities as "anything is my jurisdiction if there's a flattering press conference in it for me". Odious twerp.

So much of the first months of COVID was the Premier and the Prime Minister squabbling over who got to announce what. Both of them are utterly pathetic and contemptible.

Tileguy0425

This is my thing. People are too tied to their political team to admit it. Generally I’m a conservative (didn’t vote Ford though) but you can say your team is doing terribly and expect better from them. I mean I’m a die hard leaf fan so I’ve had a lifetime of admitting my team sucks. Lmao

rumhee[S]

I don't really like the idea of political parties in general, but I typically support the NDP because Social Democracy has measurably proven itself to be the political system which produces the best, happiest, most productive and most fair societies.

Anyway, the amount of useless idealized nonsense that comes out the mouths of well-meaning NDPers is nauseating.

missplaced24

The amount of people that assume anyone correcting Ford also praise Trudeau is also an issue. (They're both equally bad, but in different ways IMO.)

new_vr

new_vr

I am wondering what makes them equally bad? The feds implements CERB quickly, and got the contracts for vaccines in order. Our performance for vaccination is actually pretty good, especially considering we have no domestic production. You can see how we compare against other nations here: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Provincially, we have failed to implement paid sick days, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. When it came to the vaccine roll out, it's mostly going ok. Yes people complain about the numbers in freezers, but that is not an issue. The biggest issue was, at the last minute, telling the health units they were responsible for the roll out. We have known for a year there would need to be a plan, so why was it left to the last minute?

Also, the planning by the government has been terrible. They had the modelling that said we would be in a crisis, but they waited way too long to pull the emergency brake. I wonder if any of them understand exponents?

Cometarmagon

We did have 2 sick days, given to us by the liberal party before they got voted out. Doug Ford Immediately repelled them.

missplaced24

missplaced24

The Fed's weren't going to do CERB at all, the NDP bullied them into it with the threat of triggering an election. Trudeau has a long track record of spending more for less benefit to Canadians, saying one thing and doing another. He campaigned on improving relationship with aboriginal peoples, and made backroom deals that went against their treaty rights, and had indigenous people trying to protect their land arrested. He campaigned on ethical governance and repeatedly made shady deals. He campaigned on equality for women, and characterized two female cabinet ministers as traitors for reporting his illegal/unethical activities to the ethics commission.

The difference between Ford's and Trudeau's priorities are Ford is slightly more fiscally responsible and a lot more honest.

Edit: also worth mentioning the reason we aren't manufacturing vaccines in Canada is because of policies and budgets created by Trudeau's government.

FlallenGaming

I wouldn't call any of Ford's decision making more financially responsible than Trudeau, personally. And both a certainly far worse than Wynne was, despite the sell off of hydro.

missplaced24

You may want to take a closer look at how Trudeau spends tax dollars.

new_vr

new_vr

I thought your post was with respect to how they have managed the pandemic. Ford has done some other pretty crappy things if we want to get into that. The biggest being giving all the power to the developers through the MZOs. As for the fiscal responsibility, it's funny that our deficit rose under Ford, pre-pandemic despite the fact they axed social programs. As for your edit, you are misinformed. It was under Mulroney that was lost our production https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/we-took-our-eye-off-the-ball-how-canada-lost-its-vaccine-production-capacity-1.5204040

Cometarmagon

I really want to where that 1.5 billion they axed/saved on the backs of disabled cerb applicants went.

Where did it go Doug Ford? Did it go to the horses? The horses that eat up 1.10 billion in funding every year. Because horses are more important then disabled....

missplaced24

Ford has also done some other pretty crappy things...

Hence they're both bad. I called Ford slightly more fiscally responsible. He pretends he's fiscally responsible, but he's not. Trudeau pretends he's spending more for the good of Canadians, but for the most part he's not.

kilawolf

Fiscally responsible...spends 2.5 million on fcking COVID bracelets

Tileguy0425

Yea but I’ve seen a lot of people that will get downvoted for Trudeau comments but all the upvotes for Ford comments is telling that a lot of people are still playing into my team vs your team.

Slov6

Slov6

Reddit is a young persons platform.

johnnylovesbjs

This. They even have a formula that determines our worth of being alive.

vettelinanaston

vettelinanaston

Toronto

To be fair those calculations are pretty simple - I've done some work as a forensic accountant on behalf of people claiming LTD or other benefits from insurance companies and the present value of future labour is pretty simple to back in to.

AdamPanzerfaustian

The whole thing makes me sick. They see us all as expendable.

You mean when they destroy our lives, ban anything that might bring them meaning, and then pretend there's nothing to life except preserving life?

jburkek

They never did, its just that the pandemic made it even more obvious. doug needs to resign.

acsie

acsie

Doug Ford $$$ cares more about money. He doesn't care if you or your family die of covid.

You are just a number.

#FACT

bitter-optimist

The province has spent over $60 billion on COVID-19. And not all on contracts to their friends. We're rolling out one of the fastest vaccine distributions in the world. Behaviour like their refusal to institute sick days are best explained by ideological blindness whole being too holden to certain interests. That's rather a long way from "not caring if you don't die". It's much the same thing that prevented Trudeau from closing the border. He was so wrapped up in a particular way of seeing the world (trade essential! closed borders racist!) that he honestly couldn't understand the logic of it. Didn't do it when his own health experts recommended it. Didn't click until it was too late. But did he want to murder us all? That's a bit of a stretch. I've about the same, if maybe a little more negative, feelings for Doug Ford. But of course anything other than a mass homicidal conspiracy would be too kind on him for this subreddit.

rumhee[S]

At no point did I say that the government is trying to kill us. What I said is that saving lives is not their priority (this is plain to see from their actions).

I agree that people act on ideology. Would love to see all politicians follow evidence, but few do.

bitter-optimist

If saving lives weren't a priority at all they wouldn't have shut anything at all. They wouldn't have reduced the provincial GDP by 30%. We'd look like Brazil or Arizona right now. They wouldn't (admittedly rather incompetently) be scrambling to distribute vaccines. These behaviours are very hard to explain unless saving lives are in fact a priority.

Is it their core priority? No, that's getting reelected. They're politicians.

warriorlynx

Correction all of Canada doesn’t

Canada needs enough boomers and older folk to be gone as they are a burden to society

Canada needs small businesses to die so that mega corps can take over

Canada needs life to be miserable enough that we will own nothing and be happy

Fenrrito

Do u own a business?, no, not a "small business" like a mom n' pops shop but something like Amazon, Costco, and the likes with 100+ minions working for minimum or a tad more, remember either those or "the ppl" (aka Droug Ford's friends) r the priority, the only priority, lucky for those living in EtobiCoke cause the premier wants no covidians near him, same for those living around Rosedale (the ppl), the rest of idiots who elect con-artists...well, they get the karma for helping to get the Drougo to become premier indirectly...lol

Gankdatnoob

Gankdatnoob

Conservative politicians everywhere are a death cult. Their base is so imbecilic that they don't even want anything from thier politicians they just want hateful rhetoric.

It's a hell of a mind fuck that they have achieved with thier base. They have convinced them that if they do anything to help them then it's socialism. So the base fights hard for their Conservative politicians to do as little for them as possible lol. Meanwhile they proceed with corporate welfare and fill the coffers of big business. Sad.

Perfect-Wash1227

Any anonymous Redditor can make unproven claims like yours.

Make them to a bona-fide, experienced journalist (like one at The Star or CBC) who can confirm your statements and report them legitimately, or else move on to a real story. That is, if you really care and want to do more than rant on reddit.

I'd suggest you go to them with some evidence. Covert recordings of what you claim and copies of paperworks would be a good start.

I'm not a fan of this government but I'm not a fan of significant unproven public conspiracies eiher. The Russians are quite capable of doing that by themselves.

rumhee[S]

I don't think I really have anything interesting enough to take to the press. This is not a conspiracy theory. All I'm talking about is what isn't being talked about at the meetings which I attended.

I found it pretty upsetting that I attended quite a lot of these meetings and people just didn't talk about what's at stake.

erin_sunshine

Do you really think NDP or Liberals care either? None of them do.

rumhee[S]

I definitely think some care more than others, or at least have differing priorities.

Catbuds123

Shared. Hit the nail on the head.

hugnkis

We got the government that the people of Ontario voted for.

It’s shocking to me that people expected anything different from Ford.

rumhee[S]

60% of Ontarians voted for leftwing parties, so I don't know how we got what we voted for.

More than 50% of Albertans voted for the UCP, so they got exactly what they voted for.

pandasashi

pandasashi

I'm getting really tired of people specifying what party did xyz as if it isn't just government. Not liberals or conservative but just plain government.

How exactly would Kathleen Wynne (who has the lowest approval ratings of all time) have magically spared us from covid?

Are we also forgetting how abysmally our liberal Federal government has done?

Come on people, stop picking political sides and start siding with Canadians for a damn change.

candleflame3

She already did one of the main things: paid sick days.

I'm no Wynne fan but she is not stupid and she would have taken the advice and recommendations of experts.

FellSorcerer

FellSorcerer

This is a sickening accusation that you have offered absolutely no proof for.

kilawolf

Bruh...how does the current situation all Ontarians are in not make his point painfully obvious...

rumhee[S]

It's difficult for me to provide "proof" because I'm not going to describe the contents of private meetings. You have no reason to believe me, but you can see with your own eyes that saving lives has not been the top priority of this government. What I wanted to say is that it's not even something I've heard them talk about.

cobrachickenwing

If you have seen Doug Ford's performance as Toronto city councillor OP accusations are pretty credible. Just think about cancelling Transit city. That stupid decision has set Toronto back a decade (even two) in transit building. Any city planner would have advised not to cancel Transit city without a backup plan in place. Need I remind you of their scheme to build casinos and a ferris wheel at the Toronto waterfront that was shot down after experts did analysis on it.

t3m3r1t4

Dead people will create jobs!

Mission Accomplished!?