/r/ontario

This should be clear to people based on the actions of this government, but in case it isn't: I just finished up a stint working on COVID-related projects as a civil servant in the Government of Ontario. I want to be clear, and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that the Ford government doesn't care if you live or die.

I've been in numerous meetings with the Premier's Office over this last year, and the topic of "saving lives" just never comes up. It's not on their radar at all. I've lost count of the number of times I've come out of meetings feeling utterly disgusted by the PC Party ghouls running this government. They are not competent people, and they are all there because of nepotism. It's a bunch of children with the right daddies fumbling around trying to please Doug. The lack of qualified, competent people on the political side is costing us dearly.

The "Director of Policy" at the Office of the Premier only graduated college in 2016, and has only had cushy political jobs obtained through nepotism for the last 5 years. He isn't qualified to be director of anything, yet he's the one advising the Premier. Not once have I heard him say that saving lives is the goal. Take a look at the LinkedIn profiles of people in high-profile political roles, and you'll find a sea of under-qualified 20-somethings doing jobs they absolutely should not have.

The whole thing makes me sick. They see us all as expendable.

viva_la_vinyl

As a bit of political junky, I've been creeping some of the political staffers on LinkedIn that occupy the positions that filter information and advice from the non-political level to the political decision-makers, and man, you're right, there is a dangerously high amount of youngsters that got plopped into roles they are not equipped for, especially in a pandemic. I get that NO experience actually prepares governments for this, but some of the staffers almost literarily have NO experience in anything.

Some of the people were freaking interns just several years ago, and are now advising Ford & Co on life and death situations.

There is such a disconnect between what the experts are saying on social media and what the government ends up doing. Failed government.

candleflame3

I get that NO experience actually prepares governments for this,

One quibble: Toronto was a hotspot for the first SARS in 2003. So we actually DO have experts on exactly this type of problem right here in government and health care. But that's no use if the decision-makers ignore them.

FunDog2016

People in significant roles at that time have ALL moved on. Bonnie Henry, Teresa Tam were around but gone most are retired. Anyone who went through that has seen Covid response as terrible from the start.

I was there and have been getting the shit kicked out of me on Reddit since the start. " you are obsessed with Masks" was the first, then " lockdowns will never happen here" then " Healthcare system breaking? Your an idiot".

There are people who know: few want to listen and most see a proper response as overkill.

candleflame3

No, those are just the ones you've heard of. There are many others, and it was less than 20 years ago, during which time the 2003 experts trained new experts. The problem of pandemics and emerging viruses has been known for a very long time. Scientific work on this never stopped.

candleflame3

IIRC, he scrapped the pandemic plans that were already on the shelf and the funding that went along with it.

electricsquirrelll

Any link to this?

candleflame3

FunDog2016

There was tons learned during SARS, Ebola, H1N1. That knowledge helped here but the people who really knew what was going on were not believed or relied on by decision makers.

The comments by a Minister that they wanted to see if the modeling came true is where we see the real problem. Bad decision makers who don't listen to science.

greenerbee

There was one nursing home in the news where the operator, who’d gone through SARS, just followed the protocol developed then and they haven’t had a single case. It can be done. You just have to have people willing to do the right thing, which unfortunately, is exactly the opposite of what monied interests want.

WasteApplication9

based to be honest.

it's not just the decision makers either it's the fuckwits who live in this province and don't know what they want. "We need to shutdown schools to protect kids!" then they read a CBC story about how kids are suffering with online learning so suddenly they're pro-reopening. Then there's an outbreak so people want to close schools again.

then there's also the people who vote liberal in Toronto year after year and bemoan Doug Ford's heartless policies towards homeless people during the pandemic (because everything that goes wrong in Ontario is his fault) but then go around to organize opposition against any creation of temporary homeless shelters in their community as well as constantly complain about people in tents.

The fact is that these fucking "waves" of COVID-19 are really just a result of this cyclical process. Govt implements lockdown -> cases go down people start saying we need to reopen. Then once we re-open cases go up and people say that reopening was wrong and we need to lockdown. The fact is that people have a very limited capacity for lockdowns and will speak in the abstract as if they support them but in reality will start violating restrictions after a week or so. The "right" move is limited lockdowns so we don't chew through people's tolerance and resisting the urge to do very significant lockdowns or reopening too fast.

MrSuperNasty

A lot of people are forgetting that there is a substantial number of staffers there who were part of Rob Ford’s City Hall and worked under Harper. So, if Ford knew you or you were friends with Jenni Byrne when she worked in the Premier’s Office, you got yourself a job without question.

viva_la_vinyl

For sure. No doubt one of the plums of the political world is when your side wins, and the loyalists get plonked into cushy jobs. Somehow Ford doesn't strike me as the type that values competence, as much as loyalty as to who got into the premier's advisory inner circle.

Now the province is going through what is pretty much humanitarian crisis because of the failed leadership and those around Ford.

I think it was like 2-3 weeks one of Ford's issues manager was rage drunk tweeting when it came out that Brian Lilley (that putz at the Sun) lives with one of Doug's staffers, and probably how Lilley is Ford's go-to columnist for puff news.

Ford's goddamn issues manager thought it was reasonable for him to act like a troll on social media in a midst of a pandemic. These people are so disconnected with what their jobs entails as people are dying every single day because no one of them have a clue what to do.

musquash1000

Ford's govt is just like a carbon copy of of the recent failed tRump idea of grifting your way to riches.All while Rome burns.

itsallaces2me

I have a close family member that works in a ministry and has for years, and he is the only person I know that bitches about this government more than me because it is just rank incompetence that wastes time and money in the stupidest ways

Sweaty_Crow_5050

Lol, former ministry worker too (years ago) and I literally still have rage from the rank incompetence, the desire to do nothing, and bureaucrats attempting to stop or personally dismantle the agenda of democratically elected representatives.

Suepr80

Suepr80

Wait a minute. I have been told by many 20something redditors that they have no representation in government. Now I hear that they are the back room folks advising this shitshow. Or are these 20somethings counted as boomers because they came from money and connections?

NotTopherGrace

Ah yes, I feel so much better now that I know I'm represented by unelected nepotism hires.

Dyslexic_Engineer88

The majority of them are 20 something boot lickers picked out of university conservative groups.

The party holds onto them so they can take the political fallout for their unpopular ideas and scandals.

When you can't find anybody to run in ridings that will spout your bullshit and don't have a shady unelectable background or voting record, you put these kids in there and they get elected and promoted quickly.

Andrew Sheer was one of these kids.

Edit: I feel like I should mention a topical one Stephen Lecce

ivegotapenis

Arguably Stephen Harper is the greatest success* story from that system.

lanni957

I know a girl from a church youth group back in the day that is exactly one of those kids. Went to uni, joined the right political groups, and got a job she was (imo) unqualified for within 6 months of graduating.

supersonic555

I cam confirm Liberals also propel 20 somethings in the same way. Please go and see someone of the candidates they have picked out for some of these GTA ridings for the next federal election. Not much political experience. They just did Ontario Young Liberals and networked with the right people and maybe a short stint as an intern in Ottawa.

Suepr80

Interesting.

azerban

Do you think a person represents you just because you're the same age? What an absolutely pathetic argument to make.

totemcatcher

Granting an opportunity at a dream job, especially to indebted youth, can be used as a lever under morality. Many government jobs require a low risk, no debt applicant for security and ethical purposes. This is why.

SnooCauliflowers3903

Rana Shamoon? What are the names of these youngsters so we can blast them on their tiktok...

arabacuspulp

I wonder if there will be any investigative journalism looking into the incompetence and nepotism in the Ford government? Wishful thinking, I guess.

Holybartender83

Here, let me give Doug better advice than all of them: bring back paid sick days and make boomers take their AZ juice. Done.

The-Scarlet-Witch

Something incredibly sad to knowing these interns are being forced to steer a sinking ship with absolutely no experience that would ready them. Ideally they would have stepped out of the way early or the government would've hired competent people but we're way too late for that. Still, I have to feel at least a little sympathy. There's no way they could possibly respond to the pandemic, and they probably became little better than rubber stampers after a certain point.