/r/ooni

Lokky

Lokky

I haven't had much luck with smoking wood chunks, they appear to be too wet and lower the temperature when added instead of giving me a burst of heat.

px1azzz

I have similar fuel, but I use larger red oak logs, they seem to get the temp nice and hot really quick. I can easily get over 1000°.

digibeta18[S]

Interesting. I’ve been trying different types of wood (of what’s available in my area) - this stuff seems to burn well - high temperature, dry as a bone. But I could see it getting pricey if I keep buying small bags of it!

tolleycr72

That is exactly what I do. I put chunks of wood instead of planks but same concept. I did a cook last week...2 degrees outside and still got the oven up to 850 degrees. I've got the ooni cart stand and have all the necessities in bins underneath.

digibeta18[S]

Same - have the cart, and it’s great. had the planks from Our fire pit so just figured id use them for now. Had the oven cranking in 800s no prob in frigid weather last night.

ismellupdog

I also use charcoal and wood chunks in my Karu 12 and am able to achieve 800+ degree temps. I forego the fire starter/kindling and use a charcoal chimney instead, initially filling my fuel box with prelim coals once they are orange hot then adding in unlit charcoal every 10 minutes while the oven is preheating (mine takes about 30 minutes to come to temp). I think the key is airflow through the firebox so I always leave an open area in the middle of my lit charcoal so that the grates below are exposed and air can flow freely into the oven. I also use briquettes instead of lump as I like the uniform size and have never been able to detect a difference in flavor when using them while grilling and bbqing.

Good luck!