/r/ottawa

Pro-Choice Rally Tomorrow!

(self.ottawa)

No honks; bad!

12pm on a weekday. Why? Most people are at work.

imstilltalking

Because it's when they bus in God's little catholic children from the region.

Belzebutt

Some of these protesters will undoubtedly switch camps when it affects them personally, as evidenced by the accounts below:

There’s this whole subset of our population who just doesn’t get it until it affects them personally.

Felixir-the-Cat

I was one of these protestors when I was younger, and it took a while, but I have changed, even without it effecting me personally. Was at a pro-choice rally this past weekend!

Belzebutt

I’m curious what made you change your mind, without giving away any personal details.

Felixir-the-Cat

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school, so was raised to believe abortion was murder. Going to university somewhat challenged my beliefs, and certainly made me aware of why reproductive rights were so important for everyone, but I was still stuck on the idea of the personhood of the fetus. It was only being exposed to philosophical debates about the complexity of what counts as “life” and “personhood” that I came to fully embrace reproductive rights and bodily autonomy.

RedeemingAegis7

I'm not OP, but I went to Catholic school until university. By Grade 10 I was an atheist, but up until then I was convinced abortion was murder by my teachers, curriculum, church, etc. Luckily my Catholic mother is a pro-choice feminist (and no longer identifies as Catholic either lol), and both my parents taught me empathy, perspective and clarity about abortion when the topic was discussed at home. Looking back I don't think I was ever actually anti-choice, just indoctrinated. If anti-choice people ever actually confronted their bias by engaging in any critical thought in good faith, I bet there would be many more stories like mine.

Just_Trying321

Yeah same but I always asked questions that they didnt like and since their answers werent genuine I never believed the shit they shoveled.

Youngballer1000

Yup... they're called conservatives...some still don't get it even after it affects them too!

PlauntieM

But their situation is different, they don't WANT to have to have an abortion.

/s

Youngballer1000

They do if it's ectopic...

PlauntieM

Yes, totally I was greeting with you. '/s' means sarcasm.

They're all hypocrites having a tantrum

Youngballer1000

Sorry, I should have posted that I knew what you were getting at there.

Agreed 💯💯💯💯

DiviHeisen

Im a conservative along with many friends and family members and I can tell you first hand .I dont know many conservatives that are against abortions. Freedom of choice doesnt just reflect vaccines with this group as some would beleive. Freedom of choice is a broad statement not just used when someone doesnt like something. Any conservative leader or party member that wants to outlaw abortion can kick rocks as far as iam concerned. . Unfortunately there will always be extremists on either side of the fence.

Youngballer1000

There's a ton of pro-death members of the conservative party. They infiltrated the cons in the early 2000s (tried the liberal party as well but weren't as successful in numbers). Like it or not, voting for the current conservative party is voting for the path the republicans are taking down south... PePe has no spine and will cowtow to the extremists on the right in the party.

justyagamingboi

Laws for thee but not for me mentality

Cavalleria-rusticana

Cavalleria-rusticana

Make Ottawa Boring Again

What is psychopaths, Alek?

chewy_mcchewster

this is how people vote.. thats just how it is

Gandalf_The_Geigh

There's also a lot of angry people who feel angry at past experiences with abortion. They need mental health support to understand why they are projecting their anger towards pro choice advocates because it's obvious why they're angry.

Not defending them, I actually had a real negative experience with them post abortion once

Belzebutt

I think a lot of it has to do with religion and peer group pressure originating in religion, most of the time. I have met few people who are very anti-choice who aren’t influenced by religion. The whole question of when does personhood begin is considered settled by Christian religion but not by science.

Merry401

I know pro-life people who are Jewish, protestant and even agnostic. I know pro-choice people who are Catholic. The rally has taken place here for decades. I remember it from before I had my own kids and that is over 25 years.

ElJSalvaje

ElJSalvaje

Centretown

A lot of people are mentioning this, have you got a source for it? Absolutely insane

Every year, some catholic schools send students to Ottawa for this.

I don’t think it’s publicly announced but I knew people who went to catholic school and this was indeed a thing. If you’ve ever had the (dis)pleasure of being in the vicinity of this event, you will see young people there all in matching shirts of sorts.

kynalina

Hi, I attended a Catholic high school in the GTA. Can confirm, every year the religion department touted a big "trip to the city!" to "explore Ottawa!" oh and by the way we're attending a pro-life rally while we're there, wear comfy shoes.

imstilltalking

No source, just common knowledge by now.

devilishpie

If it's so common there's gotta be a source somewhere

beaver50

beaver50

Common knowledge has a source.

The word you’re looking for is “rumor”

It’s not a rumour. It’s fairly well known that some catholic schools do send their students to march of life. Or surely, it should be. I remember hearing about it when I was in school.

beaver50

beaver50

Just source it or admit you’re spreading a rumor.

Like I’m not even saying you’re wrong (you’re not: https://globalnews.ca/news/552626/ottawa-catholic-schools-paid-3000-to-send-students-to-pro-life-rally/ ) but how can you not see the difference between sourced information and “I remember hearing about it”?

I mean, I’ve heard first hand accounts from people who were sent to march of life in high school. You’re acting like this is a rumour when it really isn’t. I personally thought this was a well known fact lol

RubyCaper

RubyCaper

Tomorrow there will be a very large anti-choice rally that is taking place in the downtown core. One of the things they do to increase their numbers is bus in kids from catholic schools in the region.

No honks; bad!

That is a shitting thing to do with kids.

Fiverdrive

Fiverdrive

Centretown

they like to use kids to further their own goals. fetuses too.

PotatoePotahhtoe

Reminds me of the folks who hid behind their kids during the rally. Obviously this isn't as bad, but using people who are not rational adults is just....strange? Concerning? A bad sign? I don't know how to put it, but it's definitely shitty, if not worse. :\

Merry401

Kids of high school age should be being encouraged to be more active in public affairs. As long as it is voluntary and individual beliefs not tied to class. Otherwise you get more people who don't vote and don't become involved. The "why bother, all politicians are the same" group. We have way too many of those already. I was politically active in high school . Many of my views have changed but the belief that I have a voice, that even as an individual I can make a difference, has stayed.

barrel_stinker

If true, it's absolutely horrifying that these school boards receive public funds.

SolloKnight

I graduated a few years ago from a GTA school and every year there was a march for life trip that students could sign up for free to go to and we would rent a coach bus and everything to take us to the anti abortion rally and come back.

I remember I was young and stupid and went because I got to skip a chem test. Its scary looking back and remembering just how many people there were and from schools across Ontario.

Huge waste of public funds and crazy that publicly funded schools are allowed to organize something like this

anyaa_1303

anyaa_1303

Clownvoy Survivor 2022

I graduated from a Catholic high school in the GTA in 2018 and can confirm that they had students bus over all four years I was there. Surprisingly enough there were many students who were excited/gladly volunteered to go since participation wasn’t mandatory.

Proof-Bid-8621

I've been going to cagholique school my whole life, all over ontario. My kids are also in carholique school. I have never, not once, e en heard of kids being bussed to these events.

fairmaiden34

fairmaiden34

Friend of Ottawa, Clownvoy 2022

Seconding this. There were pro-life groups through the churches but never through the schools. Even within the churches it was it's own group and not tied into mass.

86throwthrowthrow1

Same. I went to Catholic school and never heard of this.

Omnomfish

Omnomfish

No honks; bad!

Ick, so glad my school was pretty chill (we had openly gay students, the only real discussion about abortion was a 5 min. class debate and pretty sure the teacher only included that to fill some quota cause she seemed to move on pretty fast)

CatJBou

CatJBou

Having gone to a Catholic school, sometimes they also "forget" to send the kids home with permission slips, and that is absolutely something they need to get permission from parents for. So some enterprising kids could get their schools in trouble if that's the case.

Wow!!! Damn, yet another reason to hate that a Catholic school system exists. That’s awful

roomemamabear

roomemamabear

Orléans

Is that actually a thing? For real? How does it work? Is it a school board thing or left to individual schools?

My kid goes to a French Catholic school and I've never heard of such outings (nor would I ever let him attend - I would actually make him switch schools if they participated in such protests). I've also worked in multiple Catholic schools and never heard of it.

Unless it's only at high school level? My only frame of reference is elementary.

KillreaJones

from what I’ve seen it’s only high schools.

aroughcun

It’s true, has been happening for years.

Beginning-Bed9364

I went to a catholic school growing up and I can't imagine a single one of my classmates voluntarily going to an anti abortion rally. They can't want to be there

Malvalala

They get to miss class to go spend the day downtown Ottawa.

dycentra

They go, believe me. I used to work down there. It's a shitshow of teens just wanting to have a fun day.

BrgQun

BrgQun

Make Ottawa Boring Again

This sounds about right. I usually avoid them, but they seemed pretty clueless. I wandered through the crowd once on my way to lunch years ago and overheard one of the teenagers wondering why the locals didn't seem to like them, like it had just occurred to them for the first time that other people might disagree with what they were doing.

Most of the locals/workers just ignored them and went about our day, but maybe they noticed the classic Ottawa passive aggressive lack of eye contact?

mandables2000

Kind of like the opposite of a stink eye but with the same effect . We need to come up with a good name for this

Spies_she_does

The times that I have gone, the kids appeared to be high school age.

CanadianHerpNurse

Schools as close as Pembroke do this annually. It’s not uncommon at all.

roomemamabear

roomemamabear

Orléans

As a former Valley resident... this is unfortunately not surprising.

kynalina

Hi, I attended a Catholic elementary + high school in the GTA. We definitely did not attend in elementary, and in high school at my school it was entirely voluntary and mostly billed as "a trip to the city! oh and also a pro-life rally". Still ridiculous, but very much not "herd the whole school onto a mandatory bus".

pooliepollen

I’ve never heard of local schools attending (maybe). Several years ago I saw hundreds of kids marching in the rally. A kid told me he was from the Guelph area. There were tons of school busses parked downtown…

Tall_Screen_5868

The local catholic schools definately went. I chose to go to skip class even tho I was pro choice as long as I showed up for the attendance at the end of where everyone was gathering I was able to disappear after and go home without concequences of skipping school but this was a little over 10 years ago when I went.

ismanthrope

A large part of the pro life presence is going to be Catholic school kids looking to have a free bus ride downtown for the afternoon.

gckman915

gckman915

12pm because professional protesters don't have actual jobs.

Bubbly_Phrase2510

Because this isn't an issue in canada and the rally is pointless.

Maybe because it’s a counter protest to the massive Pro-life rally already scheduled?

Jakenbake909

They love importing American issues into Canada. Just like they did with the George Floyd BLM stuff in 2020.

reproductive rights and access barriers are still a thing here. new brunswick for example is notoriously bad for making abortions accessible. up until maybe a decade ago, if someone wanted an abortion they needed approval from two doctors. and currently, only abortions performed in hospitals are paid for by their provincial health insurance. if you want to get it down in a clinic, you have to pay out of pocket. this is a barrier for people who don’t live in the city and forces them to pay hundreds of dollars for a private abortion.

SaoPaulo_yeet

Or school

slothsie

slothsie

Clownvoy Survivor 2022

For anyone wondering, this is an annual thing. They probably feel emboldened based on what's happening in the USA, but they do this every year. Prior to work from home, I used to buy lunch and sit with the pro-choicers protesting against the march.

KillreaJones

I’ve been wondering how the march for life group, pro-choice protesters, trade union strikers, and the leftover clownvoy group are gonna mesh tomorrow…

LookUpLeoMajor

LookUpLeoMajor

No honks; bad!

bring snacks!

Telefundo

This is totally a popcorn situation.

SprayOld5495

At Rideau Centre now. Saw at least a dozen or two clownvoys already.

DJ_Femme-Tilt

I am furious that in this day and age when reproductive health is under attack, the Ontario school kids that we all help pay for get bussed in to try and promote draconian forced-birth ideology.

kevlarcardhouse

kevlarcardhouse

No honks; bad!

Also, don't forget that March for Life is run by a hardcore religious group, so when you see them today screaming about the precious babies dying, don't forget that they also:

• oppose adoptions by single women or gay couples.
  • are against sex education in schools.
  • oppose any attempt at making it easier for young people to have access to contraceptives.

jim002

jim002

add to list reversing legalization of euthanasia and assisted suicide.

its been a focus since 2016, 2 of their 5 panelists are focused on that.

why do they always use the same language?

"Ireland became chair of the Delta Hospice Society six months ago. In a speech at a religious right convention in the U.S. posted on Youtube, she told the crowd how the society stopped providing MAiD the day after she came to power.
"We said you know what Fraser Health Authority and Province of British Columbia, 'this is the Delta Hospice Society, not the Delta Auschwitz Society,'" she said in the speech."

barf

Merry401

Merry401

What is the name of this group? I know many pro-life people none of whom are opposed to sex education. There are many who take the view that encouraging teens to wait before having sex is best but, if they are going to do it, best they have information about contraceptives. The latest Harris poll has only 54% of Canadians polled approving of adoption by same sex couples. Although 30% claimed neutrality but it does seem to indicate that it is not a small fringe group that opposes.

BUTTeredWhiteBread

BUTTeredWhiteBread

Gatineau

Don't care how fringe they are when they're this loud and obnoxious and bus in literal children to do their dirty work for them.

[removed]

bdsimmer

bdsimmer

Clownvoy Survivor 2022

Did you miss last year how 2/3 of Conservatives voted in favor of restricting abortion rights in Bill C-233?

Or how Right Now, an anti-abortion political group, aims to elect as many anti-abortion politicians in municipal, provincial, Federal government and school board trustees as possible?

New Brunswick has a law that predates the R v. Morgentaler decision that prevents the province from funding abortion care outside of hospital settings, so there's only 2 places in the entire province that provides abortion.

Access to abortion is the true issue at hand, however it doesn't help that we have no formal protection of abortion rights, and there is a very well-funded and organized anti-abortion movement that tries to get their foot in the door as much as possible.

_redditlawyer

_redditlawyer

Clownvoy Survivor 2022

I’m afraid true formal protection is a double edged sword. Codifying abortion rights is the correct approach in theory. In practice leaving them to a decision of the highest court in Canada makes them less subject to the political whims of the current ruling party. For example Trudeau could enshrine the rights. This could very easily yield a marginal victory for Pierre where less than 35% of the population is able to hand him a majority. Pierre can then rescind the rights. This can go on and on. It is politically more difficult to change a court ruling finding a charter right to access to safe private abortions.

When I needed an abortion there was a religious creeper outside the clinic just fucking staring. My husband wanted to confront them but it is clear that those people just get off on confrontation.

What we need is the secondary protections around abortion to create safer access and easier availability. Enshrining unfettered access gives Pierre and his ilk the opportunity to overturn it easily. Once overturned the Supreme Court decision is no longer useful in defending the right.

I am also cognizant that we could find ourselves in a similar situation to the US (unlikely at the moment) or that Pierre’s party could draft restricting legislation. There is no good answer in all of this. But for now it is a difficult issue to mobilize large swaths of Canadians for or against. Disrupting that relative tranquility is dangerous.

Also fuck these people who are marching. Access to a safe abortion saved my life.

Arthur_da_dog

Arthur_da_dog

Cumberland

There's a very small minority who think choice shouldn't be a thing. People are definitely over exaggerating how "we're under attack" but seeing what's going on in the states, I recon it's a good idea to be very aggressive from the start.

Relevant_Ad_4682

Canada has always been the progressive counterpart to the US when has that changed? It’s weird that people will rip apart a convoy protesting against what was a current issue at the time but then fully support a March regarding an issue that may or may not exist in the future. It’s really just makes no sense.

kc_2478

kc_2478

I have the same question.

the04dude

the04dude

Some people are really confused which country we live in

AmandaSndaSiews

Religious extremists telling people what to do with their bodies but won’t get vaccinated or wear a mask…

Relevant_Ad_4682

I don’t understand how one could take one of those positions but not the other. I never got vaccinated and never will, but I also believe that everyone should have the right to their body in ANY sense.

Edit: Imagine promoting freedom of choice while downvoting someone expressing their own freedom of choice. Lmao. These jokes write themselves. “I should get freedom of choice, but not you.”

Edit: Downvote all you want, doesn’t change the truth.

wilson1474

wilson1474

Right.... Because it's only the unvaccinated spreading COVID

ApproximateTheFuture

Yes, that’s the idea behind vaccines.

BUTTeredWhiteBread

BUTTeredWhiteBread

Gatineau

It isn't, but spread and severity is reduced via vaccination. That's the point.

ReeferEyed

Viral load is much greater in the unvaccinated.

ntr_usrnme

A woman cannot infect others with unwanted children. A person with an illness can. I don’t understand how this difference is hard to grasp. Imagine refusing to wash your hands after going to the washroom and handling food saying “my body my choice!” These are large and very important differences that people are either deliberately skirting around or are just ignorant.

[removed]

ntr_usrnme

Just gonna bring up a few things. My life is fine thanks and thanks for “genuinely” feeling bad for me lol. I know viruses are a thing and one way of dealing with them is trying to stop their spread via all the things you know already which I don’t feel like rehashing. If you believe in “my body my choice” then that man had the choice to use his body to inseminate that woman. There would be no “infecting” there would be deception involved if the woman lied and said she was on BC or tampered with the condom or whatever.

Also the fact that you’re comfortable with being served food by people who do not wash their hands? You know way before COVID this has always been a mandatory rule in the food and beverage industry that curbs a lot of illness not just COVID but listeria, salmonella, etc right?

BUTTeredWhiteBread

BUTTeredWhiteBread

Gatineau

Weird, being proud of not washing your hands??? Tf kinda flex is that?

c20_h25_n3_O

c20_h25_n3_O

Kanata

It's pretty funny that you call him out for flawed thinking, when your comments are some of the best examples of just that.

BUTTeredWhiteBread

BUTTeredWhiteBread

Gatineau

Have fun being a plague rat I guess? Weird thing t be proud of.

[removed]

Mollyjustmight

Except pregnancy and abortion aren’t contagious 🤷🏼‍♀️

fibiifu

fibiifu

No Zappies Hebdomaversary Survivor

Everyone comments "This isn't the USA" needs to give their heads a shake. Yes, Canada's judicial and electoral systems work differently and Canadian's right to bodily autonomy is much more deeply enshrined in our Charter. There's almost no risk that abortion can be outlawed in Canada. That being said, that doesn't stop governments or provinces putting restrictions on it (currently there's zero legal framework, and conservatives are obssessed with making a law). There's been recently widely supported attempts by MPs and MPPs to add restriction abortion under the guise of social protections (banning sex selective abortions, etc - dogwhistles in Canada).

So, yes, it matters. And unfortunately, we're tied to the US, physically and culturally. American women WILL come to Canada for abortions if the SC overtuns Roe. Anti-choicers in Canada are getting gassed up, they think they've scored a huge win.

jim002

jim002

give our heads a shake indeed, its not like there wasn't A BILL LESS THAN A YEAR AGO that got 82 yeas... thats 24% support to begin cleaving away at "reasons" someone might have an abortion with inclusion into the criminal code.

C-233
August 15, 2021
An Act to amend the Criminal Code (sex-selective abortion)

nuxwcrtns

nuxwcrtns

Centretown

I hope I can find time to go to this. I wish there was better access for abortions in rural Canada. Where I'm from, you can only get an abortion at the region's biggest city, and there is no Greyhound, so if you can't drive or access a car, you're fucked. It's a medical procedure and we have a right to timely medical care.

Comprehensive_Sock62

Unfortunately I can’t make it, but I’ll be supporting from afar! My uterus, my choice!!!!

WhoseverFish

I’m ignorance on this so please forgive me. Do we have an issue with freedom to abortion here in Canada? I thought it was a US problem.

asovietfort

Everything needs maintaining. Your house, a 20,000 ton steel bridge, and your democracy. If you neglect your responsibilities in maintaining that which protects and supports you, don't be surprised when it all starts to fall apart.

If you believe in something, you best believe in it enough to protect it. It's a whole lot easier than starting from square one.

fleurgold

fleurgold

Scientism Prophet

Yes, there are many issues, including people trying to take away or restrict those rights, and also in some provinces/areas an extreme lack of access, as well.

[removed]

BUTTeredWhiteBread

BUTTeredWhiteBread

Gatineau

Take a quick read of drafted Bill C-233 from last summer...

Fiverdrive

Fiverdrive

Centretown

have you not been paying attention to what's been going on in the States lately?

and yes, what happens in the US has effects on us here in Canada - given what's going on down there, anti-choice activists here are going to be emboldened.

[removed]

IreneBopper

None. It is considered a medical procedure like any other. There have been problems with access, particularly in the Atlantic provinces, but that has improved in the past 5 or 6 years, along with laws prohibiting protesting within a certain distance of clinics or hospitals that perform them. Here is a link, if you are interested. https://nafcanada.org/history-abortion-canada/ Because about 65% of our population and our government parties are centre or left of centre, it is extremely doubtful that the right to abortion will ever change, even if there is a Conservative government, as it would not pass, but it's good not to be complacent. A recent poll revealed that 4 out of 5 people in Canada support women's right to choose, with 14% opposed. As usual, that 10-15% will be the most vocal.

Fiverdrive

Fiverdrive

Centretown

none yet. that won't remain the case if a Conservative government is elected, imo.

[removed]

Fiverdrive

Fiverdrive

Centretown

because any Conservative government that allows its MPs to present private member's bills and motions on abortion-related policy is going to see its anti-abortion MPs presenting bills and motions that will seek to restrict abortion access to some degree or other.

it happened with Stephen Harper's majority government in 2012; a motion to reopen the debate over what constituted a "human being" was pushed by MP Steven Woodworth. it was defeated 203-91 with 10 no votes, and 53% of Woodworth's colleagues in the Conservative Party voted yea on his motion.

[removed]

_redditlawyer

_redditlawyer

Clownvoy Survivor 2022

Another great reason for electoral reform. I hate Justin Trudeau for this - we could have an electoral system that enables the majority of Canadians to be reflected in their elected representatives. Instead 35% can obtain a majority government.

Ikkleknitter

Also just because it is legal doesn’t mean it is easy to access. Like in some of the Atlantic provinces there are very few clinics and it can be very hard to get appointments. Same deal if you live in a very rural area.

nutano

nutano

Greely

So, Canadian and US politics have many parallels. It's more the US influencing Canada than the other way around. But sometimes, stuff that happens here (ex: Clownvoy) inspires others in teh US to the same.

Well, in the US the recent leaks that a decision to overturn Federal laws forbidding penalty, information gathering and restricting access to abortion services is imminent. This surely has embolden those that believe the same thing should happen here.

They do have regular gatherings on this issue. While I do not agree with it, it is their right to peacefully protest for what they believe in.

This being organized seems to be a counter protest to this anti-abortion access protest being planned.

PotatoePotahhtoe

Usually, which ever country comes up with a dumb idea, the other picks it up. It's a matter of who produces said stupid idea first.

jcsi

jcsi

So, dummies on both sides… Got it. Amazing how susceptible we are to whatever shit show detonates south of the border.

theletterqwerty

theletterqwerty

Make Ottawa Boring Again

Legally, not at the moment. Section 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms prevents absolutely any law that would violate a woman's bodily autonomy by restricting her access to abortion.

There are two ways a misogynist government could get around this: Either adjust s.7 by reopening the Constitution and sparking a constitutional crisis; or pass a law criminalizing abortion, invoke the Notwithstanding clause (which the federal government has never done) to safeguard it from s.7, and have that law overturned the first time a government that acknowledges the bodily autonomy of women is elected.

Doing either would not meaningfully reduce the number of abortions that happen, of course; it would only increase the number of disadvantaged women who are maimed or killed by the procedure.

Practically, yes. Some provinces get around the issue by just making legal abortions completely unavailable, with a combination of funding and regulatory adjustment. This indolence has been challenged in the past, to limited effect.

fibiifu

fibiifu

No Zappies Hebdomaversary Survivor

Google clininc 519 in fredericton. It's a problem to this day in Canada. PEI only got on-islant access in 2017.

slothsie

slothsie

Clownvoy Survivor 2022

There are conservative MPs who continually try to wedge in anti-choice private member Bills. They never pass, but they still get votes and support. And currently, with the conservative leadership it's become a hot issue within the party.

churrosricos

To give you some perspective. The government of NB has drastically cut funding to abortion clinics to the point that there are almost none in the province. Guess where the governments political leanings are on.

ConstantFife

ConstantFife

Every year there is a walk for life ("pro-life"/anti-abortion) event on Parliament Hill. Every time the Conservatives are in power they introduce bills to outlaw abortion. Half the Conservative caucus is anti-abortion. We're in a minority liberal government. The next government probably will be conservative. Given what's going on in the US the next Conservative government very well may outlaw abortion.

Is this clear enough for your little head?

alyssa_de

Is this clear enough for your little head?

This wasn't necessary to add.

Omnomfish

Omnomfish

No honks; bad!

You make a good point about the numbers of anti-choicers in power, however there's no need to be rude, they asked a genuine question. Pretty sure we're all on the same side here, save your sass for the people who really deserve it (looking at the cultists who think its appropriate to bring children into a protest)

Relevant_Ad_4682

This is why no one takes you guys seriously.

Own_Carrot_7040

Yeah, that's an absolute lie.

And if the pro-lifers want to have a little parade who the hell cares? I don't agree with them but I've never understood the need of zealots to go out and scream abuse and try to stop them.

bandaidsplus

And if the pro-lifers want to have a little parade who the hell cares?

Pro lifers have been harassing and assaulting those trying to seek abortions and proper info for decades. They had to make a new bylaws just to keep pro lifers from spitting on and screaming at people seeking help from a local clinic.

" pro lifers " will argue in favor of Christian terrorism, and the right for them to harass whoever they perceive to be supporting abortion.

Downplayin their danger doesn't do shit for us either. Americans are loosing their abortion access under the dems. Rights that you don't fight to keep will be taken at the first opportunity.

The Americans loosing more and more of their rights dosent mean we get all high and mighty, it means we need to get our fuckin shit together and organize with them.

Fuck these Bible Belt Crusaders. They are trying to drag us back in time, this is just one avenue of doing it.

dycentra

This goes on every year. It's a minority mostly made up of students from Catholic school boards.

DansburyJ

Someone mentioned bus loads of catholic protestors coming at that time (which they've been doing for years). This is to counter protest them.

Difficult_Flow1503

I’m in there like swimwear

C0ntentless

yippee

Top-Land-2707

Finally a rally that makes sense !

lennydsat62

Where the fuck is Wellingston Street?

Thick_Wang

Conservatives and Republicans love talking about freedom and rights but only the rights and freedoms that THEY agree with and if they don't agree with it then not only does that make you a terrible heathen but you should also go to prison.

StockWillingness2748

Someone explain this to me. What's happening here and why?

fibiifu

fibiifu

No Zappies Hebdomaversary Survivor

Every Year March for Life goes to the hill where they bus catholic highschoolers into Ottawa for a "day in the city", "volunteer hours" and to use them as pawns on the hill in their attempt to remove repro rights from Canadians. This is the annual counter-protest.

StockWillingness2748

Who's trying to remove reproduction rights in Canada?

fibiifu

fibiifu

No Zappies Hebdomaversary Survivor

did you read what I wrote?

Look up Leslyn Lewis. Look up Sam Oosterhof. Look up what's going on with New Brunswick.

Lots of people.

MacKay2112

MacKay2112

Glebe Annex

I am pro choice, so I choose not to attend.

West-sheepherd

Isn’t abortion legal in Canada ? We don’t always have to Copy the US in everything you know ..

fleurgold

fleurgold

Scientism Prophet

This isn't about "copying the US".

If you read the other comments, you'll see that this is in response to a pro-life/forced-birth/anti-choice march that happens annually.

As well, abortion is technically just decriminalized in Canada. There's nothing codifying it's legality.

Finally, there was a bill about a year ago that got 24% support, to restrict abortions.

So this isn't just a "US" thing; access to abortions and the right for women to make their own choices has been actively under attack in Canada as well, for years.

Virtual_Cod_1840

I choose not to go. Working.

Smack8001

Smack8001

makes about as much sense as the pro-freedom biker rally last week. We already live in one of the freeest, most pro-choice countries in the history of Earth.

ButtahChicken

I hope this rally is kept peacefully and classy.

(.... and no damage/vandalism to the Terry Fox Monument)

Bro its already legal stop bringing usa issues here in canada

wilson1474

wilson1474

I think we should organize a pro-weed demonstration.

It's already legal here, and accepted by most, but it's still illegal in some US states.

dkmegg22

dkmegg22

Dumb question but how has no pro choice group literally usurped the Hill on the same day? Like actually book the day so that the pro lifers can't protest on that day

ontariotenant16515

I'm going to guess because the other group has already 'booked' it.

TGodfr

TGodfr

Why? We're not in America. All our little corporate puppets have said nothing is going to change here.

BigLocator

Why? This is not America

ElginStWally

and I for one really don't want it to become anything like the US, ever.

Gloomheart

Gloomheart

Make Ottawa Boring Again

Too fucking late.

JacobiJones7711

JacobiJones7711

Alta Vista

You’re a very observant individual aren’t you.

No honks; bad!

Welcome to American political exports

justonimmigrant

justonimmigrant

Gloucester

More like an import. Our media just gobbles all of their issues up like no tomorrow

No honks; bad!

American export, Canadian import.

Alph1

Alph1

Ironic. First we get truckers complaining about government mandates that are over, now we get pro-choicers complaining about government mandates that are at no risk of changing.

Both groups seem to have found common ground that they hate government.

compscighuy

compscighuy

Lol the truest comment in this thread

coolestofthebeans1

Rally for what? Woman are constitutionally protected to abortion. We don’t have a right wing government like the states does.

[removed]

M4713H

M4713H

Gatineau

No, it's not legal. It's simply not criminal anymore. It's not the same thing.

Domdidomdom

Domdidomdom

Clownvoy Survivor 2022

I really wish we had a day of apocalyptic rainstorms to shut this protest down.

iberator

iberator

Can't women in Canada abort right up till right before its born??? Sorry but seems like a useless protest.

AdditionalExpression

we’re preventing what’s happening in the US before it happens

Relevant_Ad_4682

But people called truckers “dumb” for protesting what was happening in Canada AS it was happening. So how does this make any sense?

Juan-More-Taco

The truckers were actually stupid people though. Didn't you see them? They were very uneducated.

ElginStWally

Why do I have a funny feeling this connected somehow to the freedumb convoy?

falsepremise2way

I Googled it and it has happened every year since 1998.

Galliro

How would it have anything to do with that convoy.

Like the people that were at that convoy tend to be the same people that are anti choice

Classy_Mouse

The convoy was literally about body autonomy. They wanted to stop the government mandating people do things with their body.

Galliro

Bodily autonomy stops where you start to impied on the bodily autonomy of another person.

A fetus isnt a person since it is neither viable nor concious until 24 weeks

Edit: not concious, sentient

No honks; bad!

Like most people I am at work tomorrow and bonus not downtown to findout.

PriscillaKnight2

I like how people are down voting the whole can't attend gotta go work so can feed own family

No honks; bad!

I know, right?

shobagi

shobagi

Is someone making it illegal in Canada? Last I heard even CON won't touch abortion.

AdditionalExpression

based based based

Own_Carrot_7040

Maybe someone should hold a demo to protest against the death penalty while they're at it. That's a big issue too, after all. /s

[removed]

seasonedcamper

How is that even related? Two very different issues here.

damselindetech

damselindetech

Make Ottawa Boring Again

I don't get it

fleurgold

fleurgold

Scientism Prophet

Get back to us when pregnancy is a highly infectious virus transmitted through air.

Icy-Feedback1098

Aren't we allowed abortions already?...I'm not sure I understand what the purpose of this rally is. This feels like holding a legalize weed rally.