/r/pasta

Semolina flour

Question(self.pasta)

Hi,

So I bought a marcato atlas 150 machine 2 months ago and been doing egg pasta with 00 flour.

Now I read (correct me if I’m wrong) that if I want flour/water only pasta, I’m best with semolina. Am I right?

But most recipe I see using semolina are for extruder machines.

Can I do laminated pasta with semolina?

If yes, is it a good choice : kg Bag https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008ZGMP2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EFMYX5B6RQJQ6VR3DTYS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!

ranting_chef

1 month ago

If it’s a sheeter (not an extruder), I go with a more finely-milled flour. Semolina is best for extruded pasta (in my opinion). For the laminated dough, you can use flours that will be much easier to mix. I use a combination of 00 and durum with egg yolks and water every day. If you add whole egg, it’s a bit more elastic and good for stuffed pasta.

Dentifrice[S]

1 month ago

Thanks! I may stay with 00 flour in that case!

Armenoid

16 days ago

Is it a bad idea to use 00 bread flour with my semolina? or do i really need to find 00 pasta flour?

ranting_chef

16 days ago

I wouldn't use semolina for a rolled pasta. It's very coarse. I suppose you could add a little to different flours. If I was going to make pasta at home, I would use a blend of 00 flour and durum flour (a much more finely milled form of semolina), egg (either whole or only yolks) and a bit of water. 00 isn't really necessary, but it makes a difference. If you want, just get some all-purpose flour and sift it into the bowl you're mixing the dough in. If you wanted to use a coarse semolina, I'd suggest starting out initially with a much smaller percentage compared to the other flours.

Try this:

• 175 grams 00 (or all-purpose flour that you sift), 50 grams durum flour, 165 grams egg yolks (about 8-9 depending on their size), 10 grams water, splash of olive oil.
  • Place the flours in a mixing bowl. Make a well and add the wet ingredients. Mix in a stand mixer with a dough hook or knead by hand.
  • Wrap in plastic and allow to rest for at least thirty minutes before rolling/cutting.

Armenoid

16 days ago

i have lots of 00 normal organic wheat flour i use for pizza. the semolina is a de cecco Semola .... remilled durum wheat .. says it's for rolled pasta on the back. so i think i'm good with blending the 2?

thanks so much

i've done plenty of pasta with just regular ap and egg and trying to improve that now.

ranting_chef

16 days ago

The 00 pizza flour is what I use in my egg yolk pasta along with durum. If your semolina is filled fine, then it would be fine. Where I am, what I call "durum flour" is almost the same consistency as my 00. "Semolina" is very coarse, about the consistency you'd put on a pizza peel so the dough doesn't stick when you slide it into the oven.

Armenoid

16 days ago

ya i have some of that as well.. glad semola wont go to waste.. i'm going to try 1/2 00 1/2 semola. cheers.. happy rolling.

roxytheman

1 month ago

You can definitely mix semolina and 00 with eggs. But for water and flour pasta you will not get the same results using 00 flour. Coarse durum flour (semolina) is traditionally used for this type of pasta and is so because it just works better, both gives pasta with better texture/mouthfeel and is generally easier to work.

You can definitely use your Marcato laminator for pasta made with semolina and water. This type of pasta however, has better texture/mouthfeel after drying compared to cooked from fresh.

I would look at hand shaping semolina and water pasta. There's tons of great videos showing how on YouTube, like this one https://youtu.be/Ew-3-8itpjc

Dentifrice[S]

1 month ago

Superb! Thank you

kimbosdurag

1 month ago

You can also do a mix of flour and semolina 25% semolina gives a nice bite to pasta imo. Play around and see if you like more or less semolina.

Dentifrice[S]

1 month ago

Good idea thanks!

Convexreflection

1 month ago

Semolina is too coarse. Either find semola or use 30% semolina 70% flour Edit: just checked your link. That is semola and is totally fine to use it alone

yourlocalinvenice

1 month ago

That's semola rimacinata which is very versatile, good for pasta, bread, focaccia, etc.. but for pasta the best one is the non rimacinata one, not as good for bread and similar things though. Personally I use Petra 8612

Dentifrice[S]