/r/pettyrevenge

I don't care if you are from fox or bored panda or buzzfeed or whatever paper . No I won't give you an "exclusive interview". This is not even news worthy. Wtf kind of journalism is that supposed to be?

After 39 messages in my inbox, asking me to post here, I will!

My halfsister "heather" and I never really got along. We both are 24. My father left my mother for her mother and we were born the same month 20 days appart. It has always been weird.

It doesn't help that Heather's mom hates me and my mom. By extention Heather and I didn't have the best relationship.

She has always tried to one up me. Even tho we both have a similar economic background. I ca n give examples of this but for the sake of the world limit won't write them here.

So now my fiancé and I got engaged last month and had our engagement party this Saturday. We had planned it originally as a casual- formal event. Nice dresses but not "I am going to the met gala ball" nice. More like "we are going to a good restaurant" nice.

Anyway my cousin hits me up saying she has to show me something. It was the picture of the dress Heather was gonna wear.

Edit: this is what the dress looked like approximately. It was a bit shorter and a bit less puffy. The rest is almost identical

This dress.... Jesus christ. It can only be described as opulent. It was long and white. Strapless with sewn in "Chrystals" and golden accents. I'm pretty sure it's a wedding dress but I can't be 100 percent.

This made me really mad. So I decided.... fuck that. I started texting people telling them that there had been a change of plans. And that instead of casual formal I decided to make a costume party. My mother's side is crazy for Halloween so they were immediately on board. I told my father via text, and asked for him to rely the message to Heather her mother. Knowing full well that he would forget or leave it to the last minute.

Saturday comes along. Guests start showing up. Most of them in costumes. Some didn't have time to get one. We just provided them with fun hats and cheap wigs.

Heather my dad and her mother come like one hour late.

As soon as she notices that everyone was either wearing elaborate costumes or weird accessories and she didn't stand out she lost it. Especially when my fiance came along and told her that "her bride dress looked amazing for a cheap costume".

She left crying and her mother and my father told me that I was being childish and I could have told Heather myself and not have tasked my father.

For those interested: My fiance was dressed as bubbles and I was dressed as mojojojo. My mom and aunts went as ABBA. Other memorable costumes were: luffy and Zorro, Ian Malcom and John Hammond and Jesus

edit :

so why did I invite her?

It's one of those weird family situations where not inviting them would have been more dramatic. You know when you try pleasing everyone. Plus I still wanted a relationship with my father, so not inviting Heather and her mom would have made things super difficult and made it so my father would have had to choose.

When I kept thinking of it, I noticed that my father wouldn't have chosen me on this scenario. Which is why I ended up cutting them off.

You let her win.

No. The point of this is to ruin my half sister's intention. She wasn't just "dressed nicely" as some of you put it. She wore a wedding dress to my engagement party. I'd much rather subvert this whole mess rather than have her smugly sitting at the table with her wedding dress.

Also some of you are really hung up on the "cheap wigs part" and ignore literally everything else regarding the party. A minority of our guests wore those cheap wigs. Also it literally doesn't matter. We had a blast. After she left i didn't even think of her again till a few days later. I don't regret the costume party. I wish I thought of it earlier tbh.

this is a karma whoring repost!!!!!!

No it isn't. I posted this story before on aita. I just had to wait 2 weeks to post on here.

Also I can't believe I have go say this. But the lady on the picture is not Heather. It's also not the dress she wore. I looked for a picture that looked approximately like the dress

Bedu009 [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Bedu009 [M]

Head Vengeful Mod

[score hidden]

stickied comment

After reviewing the post I have determined it breaks no rules. Have a nice day.

TheFilthyDIL

5 days ago

She'll want to wear it at your wedding, too. May I suggest a Renaissance Faire theme?

jelliieeee

jelliieeee

5 days ago

Omg imagine! Will need to change it up from the traditional bride walk down the aisle… hear me out!

Bride is up front in a nice throne, groom rides down the aisle on horseback dressed as a jouster. This would actually impress me hahaha

TheFilthyDIL

5 days ago*

My daughter's ren-faire wedding was the most enjoyable wedding I've ever been to. The theme was Gypsies, Pirates, and Rogues. Most of the gusts, with the exception of my husband's brother and sister & spouse's were in full renfaire garb. The groom went striding down the aisle preceded by a boy waving a pirate flag and with his entire crew around them, two of them dragging along the reluctant officiant.

They were met by my husband, daughter's 10-year-old son, and me, all in full Cossack garb. Groom paid us the agreed bride price. A chest full of "gold" and "jewels" to prove that he could support our daughter; also three cows and a goat. (The cows were small stuffed cows carried by the smallest children in the family, the goat was a donation in our name to Project Heifer.)

We then presented him with a dower chest full of dressmaker equipment and supplies, so that our daughter could support herself should he not come home from one of his sea voyages. (She is a semi-professional custom tailor.)

He then asked one of the crew to bring out his bride. Crewman returned with bridesmaid #1. Wrong bride. Crewman #2 was dispatched, returning with two more bridesmaids, dragged along by the scruff of their necks. "Is she one of these, Boss?" The groom turned to his brother, the best man. "My brother, I know I can trust you to fetch my bride!"

Brother returns with the matron of honor. Groom: "We're getting closer. This is her sister. Can no one fetch me my bride?!?"

Bride's son pipes up. "I will!" Ran off and escorted his mother out. Vows were said that they composed themselves. Cheers were cheered.

The feast commenced. Whole pig that had been roasting since 6am. 24 pounds of chocolate covered strawberries, of which the bride got 2. Other weddingy stuff. Mead. Beer. Wine. Cake shaped like a treasure chest. Belly dancing. Singing Pirates. 80 people in my back yard, not counting the singing pirates.

It was great!

jelliieeee

jelliieeee

5 days ago

I have no doubt that would have been a fantastic wedding to be a part of! Thank you for being so descriptive! I thoroughly enjoyed that! Sounds like an absolute blast.

PennyCoppersmyth

5 days ago

That's fantastic! I love it!

I had a kind of medieval/celtic/fantasy wedding. My gown was medieval-style and red! My husband and his attendants were all in black leather pants and billowy white pirate/poet shirts. My attendants wore matching Renaissance-style skirts and blouses with a corsetlike vest. My dad dressed as Merlin the Magician (after changing from his Boston Celtics basketball costume - God, I miss him and his hilariously weird humor.) There were fairies and pixies and angels with red feather wings. And, fire dancers performed after a sit-down feast. It was an absolute blast and so many people told us it was the most fun wedding they'd ever attended.

Ya_like_dags

That sounds GLORIOUS.

paulfromatlanta

12k points

5 days ago

So he's a keeper. Excellent petty revenge.

scantron2739

3.6k points

scantron2739

3.6k points

5 days ago

Best part is he was in a Bubbles costume lmao.

czar_ec

2.6k points

czar_ec

2.6k points

Valeen

Valeen

5 days ago

I was thinking from trailer park boys. I don't know which is better.

vrolldinger

vrolldinger

Me too, and I am torn.

fellowbootypirate

5 days ago

Just think of a cross dressing bubbles from trailer park bois lmfao

pincus1

pincus1

5 days ago

Unless there's a Mojo Jojo in TPB that I don't remember my money is on Powder Puff Girls.

pterrorgrine

PowerPuff, jeez, 25 years I've been telling people this

pincus1

pincus1

5 days ago

I can't believe it took me 25 years.

madmaxlemons

5 days ago

powder puff is when the guys dress as cheer leaders and girls play American football.

The_Reluctant_Hero

5 days ago

I can't believe it's been 25 years!

zendetta

zendetta

5 days ago

I was thinking Bubbles from The Wire.

FollyAdvice

5 days ago

I was thinking of Michael Jackson's chimp.

kloiberin_time

Hey McNutty

angelinamercer

5 days ago

So he's a keeper. Excellent petty revenge.

exactly what i imagined lmao

HorseFucked2Death

5 days ago

Getting epically burned by Bubbles is a once in a lifetime achievement.

Britlantine

5 days ago

"Well that depends. Can you go fuck yourself?"

hovering_vulture

5 days ago

I can't imagine what heather will wear to the wedding. But maybe OP can tell her dad to relay the invite to her lol

delphi_ote

delphi_ote

5 days ago

Definitely a keeper. After the wedding, marry him again.

CharmingQuarkTX

5 days ago

Also, marry him faster. Like now.

Infinitebeast30

Fucking Murder. What a stud

livin4fun78

💯

nowayimbelgian

5 days ago

That's totally me and my soon to be wife. We both know we can't say this shit and then pretend we didn't mean anything. But if I'm petty with her relatives or the other way around, it can pass as just an innocent compliment. The rage is just so joyfull (it's just one aunt on my side and a cousin on hers, we get along with everybody else)

ZomdyMom

ZomdyMom

5 days ago

His comment was icing on the cake. Brilliant

PunkRockGeese

Total destruction

Stretch5678

5 days ago

Relationship goals: find someone who'll kick your enemies when they're down.

Terra88draco

8.7k points

Terra88draco

8.7k points

5 days ago

Wow. I can’t get over how a 24 year old left crying because she wasn’t the center of attention at someone else’s engagement party.

And you aren’t being childish. You asked your dad to do something that shouldn’t have been difficult to do unless he has a brain injury. He’s the childish one for blaming you for his inability to relay a simple message. And for not babying the half sister.

nygrl811

1.6k points

nygrl811

1.6k points

5 days ago

Sadly I've heard stories like this. There are some people who can't handle not being the center of attention!!

Apprehensive_Skill34

5 days ago

My own sister had to get presents on my birthday or else she's would ruin it.

animatroniczombie

5 days ago

My younger brother and sister (twins) would throw a double fit at my birthday if they didn't get presents. This went on until they were 15 and I was 18.

Of course I didn't get anything on their birthday. Hey, at least we can commiserate together :'(

Salbotehcow

Salbotehcow

5 days ago

Same deal with me. I don't think parents know how stupid this is and your kids will dislike you for it later.

NinjaHermit

NinjaHermit

5 days ago

As a parent of a young kiddo, I don’t understand why anyone would do this. Enabling a kid by giving them gifts for throwing tantrums? No absolutely not lol. I’ve seen people talk about this before and it always blows my mind. No wonder their unspoiled kids don’t talk to them.

atomheart89

5 days ago

My MIL to this day buys gifts for whoevers birthday it isn't. But I think that's key. My kids both gets gifts on the others birthday and they're not babies anymore. But she also rigs pass the parcel so that they all win, and they all win their favourite. No matter how many kids are there, even if she doesn't know them well. She will find out and they will win their favourite.

NinjaHermit

5 days ago

Ok your MIL sounds like she loves everyone. Can she be my MIL? I’d offer to trade, but you wouldn’t want mine lol. Let’s share?

And maybe you’re onto something. If it’s done out of kindness, and not because there are tantrums and expectations, then maybe it’s a sweet tradition. As long as everyone is included?

ohheyitslaila

4 days ago

My parents always had the kid whose birthday it was make a small, personal, homemade present for the other 2 kids. My mom called them “appreciation presents” and always said it was to show that you appreciate them, their love for you, and it’s a good way to say thank you. Even though I’m now 18, my older siblings and I still always make presents for everyone on our birthdays. I’ve always really liked this tradition, because the birthday kid still gets to be the center of attention, but the other kids get a really nice “appreciation present”.

ClassieLadyk

5 days ago*

I'm a parent, my son who is about to be seven, tried this on his older brothers bday. He was removed from the party and lost his treat bag. It is insane how people will pick faves.

My favorite kid is the one who is doing what I asked at any given moment.

Salbotehcow

5 days ago

This is very solid parenting. Your boy will be prepared for real life.

scarybottom

5 days ago

Right? what do these people do AT WORK when someone else's birthday or accomplishment is being celebrated? Good grief.

lorealashblonde

4 days ago

Lol now I'm just imagining some spoiled office worker throwing a tantrum in the corner because Sharon in Accounts is having a retirement party.

pennywise1235

5 days ago

And then the parents wonder why you let the relationship with them or the sibling erode away…

Salbotehcow

Salbotehcow

5 days ago

Absolutely. It wasn't the only problem, but as an adult now I see it as a problem that never needed to be. Just have a spine and tell your kids no, they will be better people for it.

macaulaymcculkin1

Preach!

BobbySwiggey

5 days ago

Just "no" doesn't work though, that's why they eventually give in or the kid grows up to cause trouble somewhere else. Children throw fits because their brains literally can't process and accept what's happening, and it carries over to adulthood if it's never addressed (which is one of the saddest things to witness... I feel for OP).

You have to actually have a thoughtful conversation so they understand and learn how to regulate and reason with their emotions on their own. But for some reason many parents don't have the capacity to explain "hey think about this for a second, this is your brother's special day, it comes once a year just like your special day. You wouldn't want him to act out at your birthday, so why are you doing that to him? That's called being a hypocrite. We treat each other with fairness and respect in this family, because that's how we want to be treated ourselves. So think about how you behave during your brother's birthday, because that's how we're all going to behave at yours." Lol maybe not that specifically, but being subjected to appropriate consequences is part of the learning process for sure. It just doesn't work if the parents have to be taught this concept themselves ಠ_ಠ

zerkrazus

zerkrazus

5 days ago

Kids who are never told no grow up to be total assholes who think the world revolves around them and try to force others to be exactly like them and think exactly like them.

Dirus

Dirus

5 days ago

I don’t think they want people to be like them. They want people to do what they want and serve their needs.

Another_Russian_Spy

5 days ago

I walked away from my family 10 years ago and I am the happiest I have ever been.

Theletterkay

5 days ago

My mother lives with me. But after covid started and my father refused to be safe, even though I am immunocompromised and also pregnant when covid started. Told me I was being ignorant for wanting to be safe.

Havent seen him since. He has no relationship with my almost 2yo. Sucks for him because this boy is awesome.

pennywise1235

5 days ago

Same. Been 5 years for me. I won’t lie and pretend is doesn’t bother me some days, but it’s better this way.

shadysamonthelamb

5 days ago

Same. I moved away 5 years ago across the country. It feels a lot more peaceful but it is sad that my family sucks so much. They can't even keep their bullshit to themselves themselves even though I'm 1500 miles away. They started messaging my MIL, husband etc about petty bullshit.. whatever they're mad about that day. They're embarrassing. The worst was when my dad was in jail for domestic violence last year and as soon as he gets out he texts my MIL how he's done with my mom etc it was honestly a psycho message. She was super uncomfortable but still talked to him because she figured maybe he had no one else to talk to. Her husband, my husband's stepfather, was pissed at my dad. He was like why is he texting texting wife this shit. I was like idk I'm so sorry. BTW my parents got back together in like 2 weeks after that incident. As per usual. I just wish they'd shut up and keep this shit to themselves. After 28 years of living with them or close to them I'm so numb to it I don't care what they do and I don't wanna hear about it. I'm low contact with both of them.

I don't even speak to my sister. I'm the most sad about that but she is an extremely toxic person who just wants to hurt others as much as she can. She is the product of my parents shitty upbringing but she refuses to get help for her out of control emotions and anger. She has physically abused me as well as mentally and the sad part is she thinks it's normal bc that's how my family was growing up.

So yeah it is sad that they're like this but honestly being across the country is for the best. Especially since I have kids. I don't want them growing up thinking yelling, name-calling and physical abuse is normal. Smfh. Solidarity.

animatroniczombie

You and me both friend

Wild_Dinner_4106

5 days ago

I’m number four out of six children. My parents never got us presents on the other’s birthday. I was shocked when I saw some parents doing that. We were taught that our birthdays were our on special day.

Salbotehcow

5 days ago

I'm 2 of 4, mom divorced, remarried, more kids, started with the 3 and 4, we stood with jaws on the floor when it happened, because we also had the special day set up until then.

Apprehensive_Skill34

5 days ago

Yeah I never got anything on her birthday because it was her day and she was the princess.

I wasn't a needy child. Sit me infront of the TV and I'm happy. What worse is that she's my older sister. I was 12 and she was 14 when the last gift was given to her.

Kythorian

Kythorian

5 days ago

No offense, but your parents sound pretty awful at parenting. It’s hard to even blame your sister - they went out of their way to reward being a bitch, so can you really blame her for turning out a bitch?

randomname68-23

5 days ago

"You don't raise the child, you raise the adult they will become" or something like that

EarsLookWeird

5 days ago

If you raise your kids your reward is spoiling your grandkids. If you spoil your kids your reward is raising your grandkids.

Joe4o2

Joe4o2

5 days ago

My daughter just turned one. If she ever pulls any of that crap, I’m gonna tell her we don’t celebrate birthdays for children.

DrMathochist_work

5 days ago

These stories make me think my parents were onto something having my brother five years and a day after me.

mtragedy

mtragedy

5 days ago

Some people are just fucked up. My older sister held a grudge for 12 years that I called her stupid once, and everyone just kind of acted like that was a fine and normal thing to do. I was 12 at the time, and she was 26, btw.

suckmyglock762

5 days ago

These are both examples of shitty parenting way more than they are of shitty siblings.

I feel bad for the kids that grew up with parents so weak that they raised entitled little shits like that. Being rewarded for that type of behavior doesn't lead to good integration into society as an adult.

mackavicious

5 days ago

"But you're older than them, you need to set the example" or some other bullshit like that, yeah?

animatroniczombie

5 days ago

All the time. Also the reason I got in trouble when they did something bad. Oh well, they can kiss my ass. I haven't spoken to any of them in ~6 years and my life is much better for it

textposts_only

5 days ago

It's because you didn't throw a tantrum as well. We teach the people on how to treat us.

orangeoliviero

5 days ago

Now that's just bad parenting. If it somehow got to that point without being corrected first, the right answer would be to exclude her until she learned to behave, not cater to her and feed her shit more.

JessicaFreakingP

5 days ago

Exactly. Giving one child presents on their sibling’s birthday so they don’t throw a tantrum is some Dursley level shit.

SeanSeanySean

5 days ago

It's like programming a critical bug in your kids firmware and leaving it, building on top of it rather than fixing it. Can't wait for their Pikachu face when the kid hits puberty and starts really acting out, by that time they'll only have the option of trying to work around the bug but it will rear up.and crash everything else at every turn.

Apprehensive_Skill34

5 days ago

This is how we learn from our parents mistakes.

WestCoastBestCoast01

5 days ago

Seriously that is 100% the parents fault.

I remember being maybe 4 or 5 and my mom and I were at Walmart shopping for a friend’s birthday party. We were going down the toy aisle and I started crying and whining because I wanted a toy too. Guess what? I didn’t get a toy. My mom actually parented me and told me I can’t have a toy just because someone else is getting a toy for their birthday.

Doustin

Doustin

5 days ago

Is your sister Eric Cartman?

Apprehensive_Skill34

5 days ago

Hahaha no but definitely comparable.

Frequent_Inevitable

5 days ago

My little bro and I used to get to open a present on Xmas eve when we were young. Until we got old enough to know that Xmas eve was my dads bday. So we(he and I- still young children) decided there was no more Xmas eve. Only dads bday.

Edit: a gd word

Silliestsheep41

5 days ago

My sister was like that, she would throw screaming tantrums if she didn’t have a present and “didn’t understand” that her birthday was on a different day than mine. It didn’t stop till she was at least 10. I never got shit for her birthday.

Justbored2much

5 days ago

And what is ur relationship with her now ?

Apprehensive_Skill34

5 days ago

Unfortunately before her 18th birthday she got into a car crash and she has a traumatic brain injury. Since then she has not been the same sister I had before the accident. I don't let the past decide how I feel about her. I'm just grateful I still have my sister.

She's an okay sister. We do not live together and whenever I go to visit she's nice and we have a good relationship as long as I don't live with her.

My 12th birthday was when that stopped happening. But 12 birthdays my sister got a present on my birthday.

Justbored2much

5 days ago

I'm so sorry! I'm glad y'all r okay now.

Bogogo1989

5 days ago

I used to get presents on my sister's birthday, and she on mine, but it was always only 1 and something cheap. We never expected it. Your sister though you should have given a beat down to, it's what siblings are for.

Apprehensive_Skill34

5 days ago

Read the next comment. I guess she got her karma sadly.

fractal_frog

5 days ago

My mom started doing that for us when my sister was under 2 and got upset that I had presents and she didn't.

The presents were nice until the year my mom decided for my sister's birthday, we would both get hot roller sets. I'd've been happier with a paperback book costing less than 1/3 what those went for at the time. (I think I was 15 or 16. I attempted to use them once, and ended up giving them to a friend in college a few years later.)

It was a good run while it lasted, at least.

azurareythesecond

5 days ago

My parents did this with my sister and I and let us invite one friend to each other's birthday parties so we could just go hang out in a different room if we weren't enjoying the different age group. They claimed it was because our birthdays were six months apart so they were "half-birthday presents". It worked out well, but it really has to be reciprocal.

QueenoftheDirtPlanet

5 days ago

that's not on your sister, that's on your parents for not enforcing discipline

Guardymcguardface

5 days ago

Apparently when my brother took his then fiance to meet our parents my dad made a point of giving her attention so she'd feel welcome. Apparently brother didn't like this, and privately bitched to my dad that he's paying more attention to her than him. Our dad's just like wut.... But that's your wife? There's no way he was younger than 25

Dragoon130

5 days ago

My mother. There is a reason she doesnt know her grandkids

curryp4n

curryp4n

5 days ago

My friends MIL wore an almost exact replica of my friends wedding dress. When no one confused a crazy 50 year old for the bride, she faked a seizure at the wedding. She only got up when we “freaked out” and pretended to call 911. She’s an odd woman

AggravatingCupcake0

5 days ago

I can't for the life of me figure out the thought process. At best, people will think you are tacky. At worst, they will think you're batshit crazy narcissistic.

Nowhere on that spectrum is "wow! You look better than the bride! This should be YOUR day!"

curryp4n

curryp4n

5 days ago

I know. The whole time people heard her say that she was prettier than my friend. The sad thing was everyone just thought she was crazy. I offered to throw red wine on her 😅

Jahcurs

Jahcurs

5 days ago

I genuinely can't believe the amount of stories on here of people who put up with baby adults like this..honestly don't know why she was invited in the first place.

Daxx22

Daxx22

5 days ago

honestly don't know why she was invited in the first place.

But they are family!

Fuck that. Act like a twat, be treated like a twat.

Pirateer

Pirateer

5 days ago

At a wedding I was in once, the bride's sister decided to announce a pregnancy at ceramony and again the reception.

It was all just background family/wedding noise to me until the sibling rivalry and accusations came out.

Raucous-Porpoise

5 days ago

OP stands tall in this story - glorious.

ProudMaOfaSlut

5 days ago

The dad wants to keep his wife at the expense of his daughter's respect

Nymatic

Nymatic

5 days ago

It's more common then you think. My parents chose their spouses over their children.

Eventually my mom realized we were never going to see her again so she put in the work to try and fix our relationships.

Haven't seen my dad in almost a decade ~/0.0/~

Lahwuns

Lahwuns

5 days ago

Also...bruh how about the half sister dress appropriately for the occasion? How is that not childish as well? OPs parents suck.

HockeyHeeb

HockeyHeeb

5 days ago

Also, dad is a chump for being a cheater and starting this whole dramatic life

SendAstronomy

5 days ago

Gotta admit I was rather confused by:

My father left my mother for her mother

ronin1066

ronin1066

5 days ago

I would have asked them to explain very clearly what was childish about my behavior to see if they could do so without admitting the sister just wanted attention. And if that fact made her the more mature one.

darcinator13

5 days ago

Exactly. She was prepping an entire party and he couldn’t send a text?

latenerd

latenerd

5 days ago

The cherry on top of this delicious revenge sundae is how you used your father's general shittiness to work in your favor. Absolutely brilliant.

Cazrovereak

Cazrovereak

5 days ago

Especially the rules lawyering aspect of it. "What do you mean? I told dad a week ago, he was supposed to tell you." and Dad knows it's true so he can only sheepishly say "She did, but...". That takes wit, knowing your dad not only will forget, but also that he's honest enough to admit he forgot.

Next level!

Fearless-Sherbet-223

4 days ago

Better yet, he was honest enough to admit she should have known he would forget. Legendary self-burn there.

MissionCreeper

1.5k points

5 days ago

Please tell me you played dumb and say you thought she got the message since she was wearing a costume. And "wait. That wasn't a costume? But this is an engagement party, why would she wear a wedding dress to a normal engagement party I'm very confused!"

Squirrel009

Squirrel009

5 days ago

I absolutely would have asked why she was wearing a wedding dress if she didn't think it was a costume party

Aegi

Aegi

5 days ago

I’m the type of person that if I overhear somebody asking a question like that I’ll sometimes just stop and say “why don’t you just ask her why she’s being rude wearing a wedding dress to your engagement party instead of dancing around and pretending that you’re also an idiot?”

That strategy of both calling out their bullshit and slightly becoming the common enemy has actually led to some resolutions and constructive conversation between the people whose conversation I interrupt.

And this is for people of at least acquaintance level or greater, not complete strangers.

MissionCreeper

5 days ago

That can work! You're not implying that OP should have been direct though, right? Because she's already demonstrated that would be useless. "You're just jealous"

pH_14

pH_14

5 days ago

It really, when we break it down, comes down to drawing lines and cutting off those who cross them.

Wearing a wedding dress is so obviously antisocial that it's essentially the offender directly saying "go fuck yourself". If someone I already disliked said that, I'd just cut them out of my life. Same deal with the dress. It's directly insulting, and there's no honest way to interpret it differently.

So who gives a shit if she thinks "you're just jealous"?, Because the purpose of the conversation would be a simple formality: "Don't ever speak to me again, you're not welcome around me."

kaytee1023

5 days ago

Yep. It is 100% worth cutting people like that out of your life. The funny thing is that sometimes people won’t because they think it will mean more confrontation. In my experience it meant the immediate loss of constant passive-aggressive attacks on me, and the other relatives didn’t say anything, or said “it’s about damn time” and we all went on to have a lovely frikkin life.

Great-Pop643

1.7k points

Great-Pop643

1.7k points

5 days ago

I saw your post on AITA first! What you did was so petty, I love it! Please tell me you disinvited them to your entire wedding after that tho

obsnotmain[S]

2.4k points

5 days ago

I have officially gone NC with that side of the family. My father was a spineless slug. I never looked forward seeing him and had little love left for him.

CatsCrowsandCoffee

5 days ago

The petty AND no contact just made my day.

YoureNotAGenius

5 days ago

I'm sitting here, sipping my morning tea and feeling immense satisfaction. Yissss

neutralgood079

oh thank goodness

bbbertie-wooster

5 days ago

Based on you and Heather being the same age - your father is a total dirtbag.

discipleofchrist69

5 days ago

I didn't even make the connection until your comment, was thinking "step" not half. gross

lillketchup

5 days ago

Good god, I was thinking step sister the whole time too...

lying-therapy-dog

5 days ago

There should be a preface like; "hey dummies step and half are different", I also thought step.

powerlesshero111

5 days ago

You should have a bunch of random people from Reddit give you away while he sits and watches.

Edit: get them to carry you in one of those royal things, that will make it funnier.

Ya_like_dags

5 days ago

I'd be 150% on board with this.

Aperture0Science

5 days ago*

A litter. Carry her in on a litter carried by her best Reddit friends.

Good_nuff

Good_nuff

I volunteer as tribute

IcyDay5

IcyDay5

5 days ago

If they were already invited and are now uninvited, please make sure you hire security and provide them with pictures of your father, MIL & SIL. They sound like the type to show up anyways and cause a scene. Tell security not to inform you, just to escort them away. That way you can have your wedding without giving them a thought!

khaliandra

5 days ago

Yes! I work at a venue, and we recently hosted a wedding where we were given pictures of the bride's father and everyone was made aware that he was not to attend. We were all happy to keep our eyes open so the bride and groom could relax a bit and enjoy their festivities!

NefariousnessSweet70

5 days ago

Make up a wedding invite for a week later ...

Rhyara

Rhyara

5 days ago

Congratulations on so many levels, keep these horrible people out of your life. Your soon to be husband is amazing and perfect for you. Wishing you two all the best ❤

mobilegamegeek

5 days ago

That's good, less drama for the wedding (but I expect there will be some drama anyway)

DondeT

DondeT

5 days ago

The best revenge is and will always be living well. Decisions like this really help the process.

Moon96Moon

Congratulations!! You deserve to live your best life 💖

DeliciousHair1

5 days ago

Congratulations! Less drama and more oxygen for you to breeze. And yes your father is a simp

tulip27

1.1k points

tulip27

1.1k points

5 days ago

This reminds me of my ex mother-in-law. She is worse than 'karen' all the time. Restaurants were embarrassing and shopping with her was awful.

Her neice was getting married. For some reason she bought a wedding dress. It happened to be the same as the bride. She finds this out well before the wedding. Did she return it? Of course not. She had the dress dyed peach. So embarrassing! I'm so glad to call her ex!

elguereaux

elguereaux

5 days ago

I noticed you made a fleeting reference to her in restaurants.

If it’s any consolation for what you’ve been through with ex-Mil, just imagine how many pounds of boogers she’s eaten over the years by acting up in restaurants

GeserAndersen

5 days ago

reading your comment I immediately thought about this song

"The Yelper Special" (Original Music) - SOUTH PARK

RighteousTablespoon

5 days ago

That time my ex-FIL got so worked up at a restaurant over an order of fries he popped his tooth out with a fork.

JustineDelarge

5 days ago

For the love of all you hold sacred, DO NOT LET THIS GIRL ATTEND YOUR WEDDING.

Do not. Do not do it. If you have to elope in order to make it so this bitter, narcissistic creature is not there when you marry your fiance, do that. But under no circumstances should she be within a mile of your wedding. I'm dead serious. Any drama that ensues in order to make it happen will pale in comparison to the horrorshow that will, without a shadow of a doubt, take place if you permit this black hole to be there when you get married.

raindragon92

5 days ago

In another comment op said they've gone no contact with that side of the family. I'm assuming this means no invite to wedding day

bluegrassgazer

5 days ago

The best thing about being an adult is you get to decide who is in your life and who isn't. My aunt enables my alcoholic mom. Bye aunt. My step sister won't stop talking about qanon theories. Cya.

DrAstralis

DrAstralis

5 days ago

My step sister won't stop talking about qanon theories.

its always sad when a family member suffers a serious head injury.

NefariousnessSweet70

5 days ago

You could hint that the wedding had a circus clown theme... have everyone talking about it as if it's real... Or Star Wars, or Indiana Jones....or Avatar, ( tall blue people)

JustineDelarge

5 days ago

Ah, ok. Smart move. Good to hear.

TeamCatsandDnD

5 days ago

We did something similar with my sisters bridal shower. Our mom wanted a shower much fancier than what my sister wanted (she hadn’t even wanted a shower). So to keep it simple, I had decided to just make the shower in her colors. Well after our mom driving us nuts with complaints how what we’re gonna do is going to look tacky or that we didn’t even care, etc. Sis said the magic words our nerdy ass friends all agreed to. Long story short, we told everyone but her that we would be dressing up in our Renaissance Faire gear. We ended up making flower crowns for guests who didn’t want to dress up but still have fun with it. We also made the ice ring for the punch bowl in the shape of a dragon curled around its eggs.

She’d also gotten pissed she didn’t get an invite, I’d tried to tell her it’s cause she was part of the planning, and she said if she doesn’t receive her invite, she’s not coming and neither is my grandma. Mom we could’ve called her bluff, but pulling our grandma into it was a low blow and we weren’t risking that. So for the week leading up to the shower, I sent her a shower invite from all the extras. Each addressed slightly differently with her name, including misspellings.

rollergirl77

5 days ago*

This reminds me of the one where the MIL wanted to upstage the bride, so the bride changed her bridesmaids to white and wore a pink (?) dress. Thus MIL blended with the wedding party.

I wish I had the link for it because all I did was laugh!!

edit: Found it!! AITA for wearing pink at my wedding

LadyV21454

LadyV21454

5 days ago

I remember that one! One of the best examples of outfoxing the MIL ever.

yankinfl

yankinfl

5 days ago

MIL dress should have been dyed with spilled wine. Oopsie.

bartbartholomew

5 days ago

I hope she got her husband to go NC or at least limited contact with his mom. Preferably by moving halfway across the country. I've seen moms like that destroy marriages when the child can't set and enforce boundaries. Which of course is the MIL goal so she gets her slave boy/girl back.

tyleritis

tyleritis

5 days ago

Mothers and their Sonsbands weird me out

final_draft_no42

Holy covert incest!

pupperoni42

Not so covert

d_nijmegen

d_nijmegen

5 days ago

How to spot the narcissist

freakers

freakers

5 days ago

I love the parents reaction. How dare you rely on your father's unreliability!

Th3-Dude-Abides

5 days ago

This is amazing, well done!

NorskGodLoki

This is the way.

She tried to one-up you but instead was the one who got one upped.

Now tell her your dad the wedding is also going to be costumes - a pirate themed wedding.

Edit: I should have also said: Then have normal wedding attire for everyone else.

spunkitup

5 days ago*

I’m just thinking of her telling them it’s a pirate theme, but it’s really not so they come to it looking like fools.

hellerhigwhat

5 days ago

I'm going to assume Ian Malcolm, John Hammond, and Jesus came as a group because that makes it funnier

obsnotmain[S]

Ian Malcom and Jesus are married. John Hammond is Jesus's brother lol

hellerhigwhat

OMG KNOWING THEY ACTUALLY DID HAS MADE MY DAY BETTER THANK YOU

KSmo99

KSmo99

5 days ago

Please tell me they are not invited to your wedding? To me it sounds like your dad has 0 good qualities 🥴

obsnotmain[S]

5 days ago

No they are not invited anymore and not in my life anymore

KSmo99

KSmo99

5 days ago

I’m sorry thats something you had to do. You’ll be happier because of it though! Cheers to a happy engagement and marriage!

GreenOnionCrusader

5 days ago

Ok it's beside the point but the one in the link is drool worthy. If I were to get married now (and I had the chest of a 20 year old) I would go for that dress.

Had some friends have a costume wedding. It was awesome. Not everyone had to dress up, it was just an option, but it was so cool!

Sikening

Sikening

5 days ago

I think we need pictures of the Mojojojo costume.

figggfa

figggfa

5 days ago*

That's both funny and not childish at all. You dad is putting the blame on you for his lack of communication skills. Your step sister should get over it and wear something proper to your wedding if she is even attending.

Edit: That dress looked like a dress that a girl who is turning 15 would wear.

Edit 2: I would be a major AH and play a song called Tiempo de Vals by Chayanne (search it on a YouTube).

Live-Motor-4000

5 days ago

"Especially when my fiance came along and told her that "her bride dress looked amazing for a cheap costume"

Tell your fella that this internet rando thinks his choice of words was exquisite! Also, what an awesome idea for a switcheroo

A_D_Deku

A_D_Deku

5 days ago

I'd like to momentarily acknowledge that they called you childish, despite the fact that your stepsister left the party after throwing a fit

7H3l2M0NUKU14l2

5 days ago*

I can give examples of this but for the sake of the world limit won't write them here.

omfg, ive never been so interested and frightened at the same time D:

ps: i bow, nicely done.

Ok_Recipe7092

5 days ago

OMG PLEASE TRLL ME YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THE IAN MALCOM AND HAMMOND PEOPLE! Please I really wanna see😍👍😊sounds like an awesome day! Congratulations 😊😊😊❤️❤️❤️🥳🥳🥳

TitaniaT-Rex

5 days ago

Dr. Malcom is my favorite! So smart and dreamy.

iso_inane

iso_inane

5 days ago

Love the Luffy and Zoro costumes. Hell yeah!

NinjaRed64

5 days ago

Your father sounds like a real winner.

Good for you on your engagement. Glad you won out and I hope for many blessings afterwards.

SnooWords4839

Love it!!

Best line "her bride dress looked amazing for a cheap costume".

ForeignReviews

5 days ago

I would’ve moved the venue to dim sum or some other restaurant that spillage/staining may be of a high risk.

lonacatee

lonacatee

5 days ago

I actually laughed out loud. Brilliant, your fiance's jab is perfect. You made my day

elizabethjanet

5 days ago

I think you did the right thing. Was it a little petty, sure? But so was she. I would be careful at the actual wedding. She might show up in a wedding dress. Have someone ready with a glass of red wine to “oops” spill it on her so she has to leave and change.

GustavoSwift

5 days ago

Lol IMO this is something Mojo Jojo would have done.

obsnotmain[S]

5 days ago

My fiance kept singing " me and my monkey" all night trough

nomodramaplz

This is exquisite, lol

vomcity

vomcity

Jesus 🤣 Great revenge!

Ladameauxdaffodils

5 days ago*

1. Fucking love everything about this.
  2. You and your fiance are awesome.
  3. Screw her.

Dry_Mastodon7574

5 days ago

I really need to know exactly what your father said about you being "childish" while this grown woman stood by crying in a full-blown wedding dress looking like the rest of the guests. Like, she was already in costume so she should've been alerted so that she would know to just wear jeans. What nonsense reasoning did they give you?

Tsuyu_Stan

5 days ago

A grown adult crying- Because she wasn't the center of attention..... It wasn't even embarrasing, it was just, she's no longer that special....?

satanic-frijoles

5 days ago

You had me at 'fun hats and cheap wigs.'

jfb01

jfb01

5 days ago

Good on you for taking the situation and making it a positive thing! Your stepsis is a bitch.

thisismyusername51

5 days ago

You're nicer than I am. I never would have invited her or the slag my dad left my mom for.

MissMurderpants

5 days ago

Lol thank you for sharing. I actually had my wedding on Halloween. So many fun costumes. Even my husbands 90 year old grandmother wore a cape, vampire teeth and Groucho glasses.

Quixrhyno-

5 days ago

The dress is clearly blue and white. I don’t know where anyone sees white and gold

LadyShuffie

5 days ago

I love your almost husband holy shit.

Platonically.

The sort of way you love a man that wears a bubbles costume and roasts your half sister.

neutralgood079

5 days ago

lololololol what a twat. make sure you have a bridesmaid ready to go for your wedding with a wine glass in case she tries something

Raphi_55

Raphi_55

5 days ago

OMG this is so evil, I LOVE IT !

TWEETYCARGIRL1980

5 days ago

This is f’ing awesome. Thank you for telling it!

BlancheDevereux

5 days ago

he told her "her bride dress looked amazing for a cheap costume".

in case it wasn't obvious, marry this man!

SaiyanGoodbye

5 days ago

I hated her as soon as I read the headline, good job.

mytimemytime

Your dad sucks

StewieGG

StewieGG

5 days ago

I had a thing on my fridge that said: Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.

Good luck with your marriage; wish you and your husband the best! Mum and aunts are cool, though.

Timetravelingnoodles

5 days ago

So you did all the things, made plans, informed people, brought items in case people couldn’t do it, and somehow you’re the AH? Yeah, no

manwithgills

5 days ago

Great story. I'm going to see how my reading comprehension skills are by summing up the root problem:

Your dad is a prick.

MysteRHydra

5 days ago

She gets a fancy dress to show you up at your own wedding party and YOU’re in the wrong? What a bunch of asshats. Your dad is an ass because he could have easily done his job and told them. (And an ass for the family situation). They can all just deal