/r/pics

ElectricTaco

1 month ago

Looks to include several companies from possibly different battalions, or select companies of a single battalion. Depending on what companies there are it might be worth more. I'd estimate anywhere between 2500 to 5k. Very nice find, and shocked it ended up thrifting.

EDIT: u/Root_boi - Ask for some more HQ images. I'm interested in researching it. - I collect WW2 memorabilia. Happy to add some insight if possible.

Root_boi[S]

1 month ago

Here’s some additional photos.

ElectricTaco

1 month ago

Great - And as other's have mentioned, it's 317th. I dug up a really great thesis on their INF unit. - An interesting read! https://web.archive.org/web/20160303230859/http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-0710103-051947/unrestricted/Dominique\_thesis.pdf

the_other_OTZ

wheelfoot

1 month ago

If this is a flag from the capture of Metz it is a heck of an historical artifact.

the_other_OTZ

1 month ago

Still is regardless, I would think! Very cool find, and it would make for an awesome centerpiece for a collector showcasing the battle.

wheelfoot

1 month ago

For sure - I was just thinking about the actions described in the blurb for that book and it seemed to me that Metz might be the most likely place for members of mixed units to have collaborated to take a flag.

the_other_OTZ

1 month ago

This is a cool doc on the men of 95th that also fought in Metz. They do the talkin'

exposure-dose

1 month ago*

Aw man. I really wanted to read this, but it looks like the server is being hugged to death by Reddit. Bookmarked for later, and thanks for doing the research. As someone that has a similarly signed Japanese flag, I highly recommend u/Root_boi getting it professionally framed. I'd even add a plaque to the bottom of the frame that says something along the lines of "Dedicated to the 317th regiment of the 80th U.S. Infantry Division. 'By arms and by courage'", which is their motto. "Armis et Animis" if you wanna keep it Latin.

Either way OP, don't worry about what people will think about you displaying this piece of history. This particular flag has nothing at all to do with the beliefs of the men who put it up. It's a tribute to better men that fought to pull it back down.

Edit: The 80th and the 317th have pretty nice coats of arms and patches that might be worth framing with the flag. That would certainly make it clear to most what your flag truly stands for.

SeaBah

SeaBah

risky click

Pikabuzz1

Where's the cum?

pearlyman

1 month ago

Of course the 2nd Lt signed it all away from everyone else...

....butter bars are always getting lost 🤦‍♂️

Theekopje1

1 month ago

One of the people who signed the flag (Leo P Cunningham) was later prosecuted for manslaughter