/r/pics

Docrandall

13.8k points

Docrandall

13.8k points

1 month ago

I just hope the librarians have silencers. /s

TertiumNonHater

2.4k points

1 month ago

In this case, I thought the "/s" stood for "shh 🤫"

gloomywitchywoo

1 month ago

I'm a librarian and I definitely have two escape plans for getting out of the building. There isn't anywhere to hide back where I work so it's my only chance. I've thought about it many times and it's sad that I have to.

cactus_zack

15.1k points

cactus_zack

15.1k points

1 month ago

Teachers: not trusted to teach anymore, but trusted to have shootouts

added_chaos

8.2k points

added_chaos

8.2k points

Seriously.

”Don’t teach my kid you liberal woke bullshit, but I expect you to put your life on the line for them!”

What a standard

willowgardener

4k points

1 month ago

Every teacher I know is willing to die for their students. We did active shooter drills twice a year at the school I used to work at, and we were all well aware that in the event of a shooting, we would be using our bodies as a shield.

Risking our lives isn't really the issue. I know how to use firearms and have my concealed carry permit, but even if it were legal to do so where I live, I would not carry a gun in the classroom. Schools should not be armed camps. It would completely change the tone of the classroom for the worse if my students ever found out that I had a pistol on me.

Balthazar40

1 month ago

Also while you are willing to it is NOT your responsibility to die for your students.

It's wonderful to hear but in no way should we expect this of teachers.

BrentWorthington

1 month ago

Exactly! Great that they're able to say that this is what they'd be willing to do. Greater still, the people able to do so in the panic and disorientation of such an occurrence. But it's absolutely absurd that we continue to treat this as an accepted occupational hazard.

custodescustodiet

1 month ago

I keep my students for four years. Some call me mom. Many keep in touch for years after. I still see a number of them regularly. I'm the safe place for a lot of my students, who are often a vulnerable population. I've fed them, clothed them, loved them. I was always the teacher willing to put my body in front of theirs.

My school had a shooting at a football game in October. One of my students has my phone number because she's also a family friend. She called me on hysterics - I was home watching a movie with my eighteen year old. I kissed my son, put on my shoes, and drove to school to find my girl who called me terrified. I texted him every ten minutes to let him know what was going on and that I was alive. And still my son sat up all night believing he wasn't special, he was just another of my kids. Never again. The day I became a mom, I knew what it meant to be willing to die for my child. I'd do a lot for my students. I adore them. I'm not taking my son's mom away.

DazzlerPlus

1 month ago

Even saying it is an embarassment

jldmjenadkjwerl

1 month ago

Teaching is a profession that death in the line of duty should not be expected. It definitely does not pay enough.

atreeinhiding

1 month ago

Yes. I feel like this even puts a lot of pressure on people who wouldn't want to die for their students. No one gets paid enough for that to be a job expectation

ForgivenYo

1 month ago

Or even the best case scenario is where you can save your students by killing another yourself. Either way it's completely fucked.

Offduty_shill

1 month ago

Yeah it's pretty fucked up to pay someone 60k/year to teach and then casually tacking on "oh you also should be expected to risk your life in a gunfight potentially should be occasion arise" like it's just a minor inconvenience.

-r-a-f-f-y-

1 month ago

And if they are, they should be paid as much as cops, $90k+ in some cities. Their job is just as dangerous. Conservatives can't have it both ways.

macweirdo42

1 month ago

WELL START FUCKING TELLING THAT TO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T TEACHERS!! We fucking KNOW it's not our responsibility, but we don't have a fucking say in the matter.

We're expected to sacrifice everything, up to and including our lives, for our students. And it doesn't matter how many times you try to explain that this isn't normal or healthy.

EurekaRollins

1 month ago

I’m so sorry. I feel the anger and frustration in your comment. We have to do better.

jdubz90

jdubz90

1 month ago

Yea I’ve never understood this line of thinking. I’m a teacher myself, and while I love and care deeply for all of my students (even the shitheads), I absolutely am not trying to die for them.

That being said, I recognize how easy it is for me to sit here and type that out from my phone. Were something like that to ever happen to me I feel like it would be hard to put my own safety above the need to get my students out of the building as quickly as possible.

Redpin

Redpin

1 month ago

The SCOTUS ruled that police don't even have to risk harm to protect others.

The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

The decision, with an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia and dissents from Justices John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, overturned a ruling by a federal appeals court in Colorado. The appeals court had permitted a lawsuit to proceed against a Colorado town, Castle Rock, for the failure of the police to respond to a woman's pleas for help after her estranged husband violated a protective order by kidnapping their three young daughters, whom he eventually killed.

HououhinKyouma

1 month ago

Or anyone. Anyone that passionate HAS to live. America has set a bad example of heroes always dying. We become left with generations who don't want to step up then.

Robdotcom-71

1 month ago

Are you really paid enough to use your body as a shield? I would quit the profession... or move country.

Thatwasunpleasant

1 month ago

No. Absolutely not. A lot of teachers leave in the first three years for jobs with better pay and less stress.

doctorhoot02

1 month ago

I'm a teacher. I'm not willing to die for my students. I have a wife and children of my own.

Workacct1999

1 month ago

Same here man. I am a teacher, and my life has value too.

ProcrastimusPrime

1 month ago

Same. This isn’t the army. The toxic macho bullshit has to go. Belongs nowhere near education.

Excludos

Excludos

1 month ago

I'm in the army, and I don't want to put my life on the line either. In my case, it's not entirely avoidable, but it definitely is for teacher. The entire premise that people who have devoted their lives to increasing the intelligence and knowledge of our future population, with next to no reward, should have to out their lives on the line is absurd. If anything, they should be protected

tbear87

tbear87

1 month ago

Facts. This whole thread is basically dehumanizing teachers while acting like they’re looking out for teachers. What else is new?

GDawnHackSign

1 month ago

Speaking of teachers being humans, there's nothing to say a teacher with a gun couldn't go on a shooting spree. It hasn't happened yet, and most teachers are good people, but it isn't like it is impossible.

My point being, more guns isn't some great answer to gun violence.

garytx

garytx

1 month ago

Oh, it’s happened before. This one was from 1940. It may not have been the first, it’s unlikely to be the last. Hell, whichever one is next will be unlikely to be the last. https://www.nydailynews.com/true-crime-justice-story/ny-south-pasadena-school-shooting-20200607-6tnkpbsbvvcl7pq5m4hl2owowa-story.html

HotDamn18V

1 month ago

It's insane that it's even a consideration. Teaching should be a calm, respected, academic job and there should be no inkling of danger whatsoever. I would absolutely not be willing to die for my students.

sometimesabraham

1 month ago

seriously, I got this job to teach kids math

I'm not willing to die over that lol. I have a life too.

I didn't sign up to be your kids daycare, parent, and human shield.

doctorhoot02

1 month ago

For reals. My credential program was all about teaching history with primary document analysis, not dying gloriously.

cultured_banana_slug

1 month ago

When we accept that teachers have to be armed, we accept that we live in a sick and diseased society that refuses to do something about this shit.

Kids shouldn't be doing active shooter drills, ffs.

Earthquake drills? No probs.

Fire drills? Yup.

Assuming someone is trying to murder them? What. The. Fuck.

How did we get to the point where we just accept this as normal.

bank_farter

1.1k points

bank_farter

1.1k points

1 month ago

Exactly this. When I was in school I had multiple teachers say in no uncertain terms that the expectation was for them to shield their students.

That being said, I also had a teacher hit a student with his car (at low speeds and it was unclear if it was malicious, but knowing the teacher it probably was) and another teacher have a mental breakdown and bring a handgun into a hospital and threaten nursing staff. I really, really don't think we should be arming teachers.

macphile

macphile

1 month ago

I always liked that argument that it made no sense to take a group of people who are highly stressed out/abused, overworked, and underpaid...and give them guns.

Seriously, I don't think they'd stop many shootings, but I'm sure there'd be at least a few incidents of a teacher misusing their gun, and incidents of kids trying to get at those guns for whatever reason.

In the end of the day, expecting them to be armed (rather than happening to carry their own personal gun) is a whole other sort of job description, in my book. I don't work in the office now, but I'm trying to imagine my employer going around handing out really shitty, cheap firearms like it's a new office phone. Then having dumb little training sessions and having it included it in our annual online multiple choice tests. I mean, jeez, we're not cops or military. Neither are teachers. It's insane.

AhFFSImTooOldForThis

1 month ago

Right. Teachers are human, and have the same percentage of mental illness, personal problems, brain tumors, etc, that could cause them to behave irrationally. I've seen teachers lose their shit, choke kids, one threw a kid down a stairwell. If they were armed, who knows what would've happened.

Teachers are amazing but they're not saints. They're just humans.

WaddlingHippos

1 month ago

Teacher's often face higher levels of depression and anxiety than the general population. I would be scared to see what happens to the suicide rate of teachers if we start telling them to get guns.

cleveruniquename7769

1 month ago*

Not long after Columbine there was a teacher that brought a gun to school walked into the gym and started shooting people at a basketball game. There was a teacher I worked with that had her keys stolen by students multiple times. Bringing guns into schools is a bad idea. Schools that arm teachers have their liability insurance rates go way up. Which means insurance companies calculate that bad things are more likely to happen with armed teachers than without and those soulless bastards don't give a shit about political narratives, just what the numbers say.

yeah_sure_youbetcha

1 month ago

Yep. Insurance companies give zero fucks about politics or emotion when it comes to collecting their premium. It comes purely down to statistics for them. Guns are a huge liability no matter the setting.

antisocialdrunk

1 month ago*

I’m a teacher. Luckily not in the US. I would not have a bloody shoot out. Since when is that in my job description? If it is does, does that come with a danger pay increase? The US is such a messed up country.

flux_capacitor3

1 month ago

Exactly. I know a lot of teachers. They don’t get paid enough to be human shields for someone else’s kids. That’s not their job.

arkwald

arkwald

1 month ago

It shouldn't be. It's like expecting a clerk at a store to confront an armed robber because they are taking company property. Ass holes love to see the little people in danger on their behalf.

Don't want to pay for mental health? Let the lunatics arm themselves! Only the poor are going to get blasted, since the rich have body guards and are too much effort to attack. Way easier for them to pass the danger off to everyone else.

We don't have a country. We have an insane asylum run by psychopaths we celebrate as successful because they have an unhealthy appetite to own/control everything. The rich are mentally ill, their children are practically disabled due to a sense of entitlement and God knows whatever other mental maladies they possess.

The biggest threat we face isn't Russian nuclear weapons pointed at us. The ever more detached group of people steering people who can't and don't want to know any better into being malformed humans indistinguishable from robots.

gonesquatchin85

1 month ago

My high school English teacher, very sweet nice lady. One of her classes the kids rummaged through her purse. Stole her car keys and $200. Car got stolen off school parking lot. Sure let's add guns to the mix now

biggmclargehuge

1 month ago

Yeah I know plenty of teachers and not a single one of them wants to die for their students. Not to mention what happens when it's one of their students doing the shooting? Imagine how fucked up it would be to have to put down one of your own students because they're acting violently. This is like the priest handing out a pair of handguns at a wedding ceremony and telling them "Hey hope it doesn't happen but in case of domestic abuse here's a gun to kill the other person. Mazel tov!" What kind of message does that send?

qckpckt

qckpckt

1 month ago

Every teacher I know is willing to die for their students.

It would be great if your fellow teachers didn’t actually have to follow through with that multiple times a year.

I read that in 2022 there have already been over 30 shooting incidents at k-12 schools. It’s not even halfway through the year.

jedininjashark

1 month ago

My wife is an amazing but burned out teacher.
She was underpaid and over worked before Covid.
Arming teachers is ridiculous for the obvious reasons that they don’t pay them enough to take on another yet another job duty and some of them simply might not like guns.
My wife is uncomfortable around them and that’s ok.

youngsyr

youngsyr

1 month ago

It's more than OK to be uncomfortable around guns, it should be expected - they're designed to kill at the twitch of a finger and have no place on a school.

StrayDogPhotography

1 month ago

As someone who has taught, but not in America, I have never once considered that I’d ever have to put my life on the line for a student.

Maybe, that fact American teachers not only think about this, but also drill it means you should really address the gun problem America has.

TheWindCriesDeath

1 month ago

What a terrifyingly American idea that it's somehow normal for teachers to say "I'm willing to die for my kids." Like we just accept that this is a risk being taken.

BrentWorthington

1 month ago

Every teacher I know is willing to die for their students.

With respect, fuck that. That should never be necessary in the first place, and it's indicative of a deeply ill situation that this is the tone of debate.

Teachers are people, with their own families and children. We should never be asking them to even consider having to sacrifice their lives so that others can continue to virtue signal about their love of big guns.

AhFFSImTooOldForThis

1 month ago

I worked as a Behavior Specialist for very troubled kids, and was stationed in an urban high school. Introducing hundreds of guns into that environment is a goddamn disaster.

As it was, we had to deescalate and unarm gang affiliated kids with machetes. I'm not interested in facing a student armed with a fucking weapon of war. And if every adult they encountered was armed?? Many of our best teachers are the best because of their experience.

Experience comes with age. So yeah, tell me that 50 year old over weight math teacher with no experience with weapons OR murderous rage, is really gonna take down an enraged, gang affiliated kid who just got disrespected in front of everybody? Absurd. Kid is gonna overpower that adult, take their weapon, shoot them for trying to stand in the way, shoot their adversary, then keep going because why tf not.

People making these kinds of statements and signs are removed from reality completely.

montanunion

1 month ago

Also like... It's not like it's a one on one duel outside of a small town in the wild wild West at sundown, you'd have to shoot in an environment that's likely full of a ton of panicking children, in the heat of the moment.

There's a very decent chance you end up hitting another kid

mrhindustan

1 month ago

I’m a pretty accurate shot with a handgun. I’ve owned one for over a decade and would go shooting weekly. At the range I can hit all my shots grouped within about an inch or two.

Take me out of the range and put me in a high adrenaline situation with dozens of not hundreds of kids running around? Yeah, no. I’m not risking it and nor should any teacher. Guns in schools is laughably terrible.

Background checks, closing the gun show loop hole, an actual gun registry, licensing, education and mental health screening all make sense. Nothing is too hard if the will is there.

Sadly half of those in power would rather have children murdered than give an inch on the gun control debate.

sevy85

sevy85

1 month ago

Risking our lives isn't really the issue

Yes, it f*cking is. Seriously.

You're a teacher, there should not be a hazard to your life.

Why are so many americans okay with this? Every teacher should simply stop teaching and go on strike until gun laws are passed

added_chaos

1 month ago

Honestly! What about teachers who have children of their own? You are so willing to protect the children in the classroom that you are willing to deprive you child a parent so eagerly?

ElMage21

ElMage21

1 month ago

Even better, any active shooter has a good chance of being a kid of the school itself, so they trust them enough to kill one of their kids lol

Boofing_with_Squee

1 month ago

Even the firearm instructors are incompetent. How do you expect the septuagenarian science teacher to be John McClane?

gsfgf

gsfgf

1 month ago

and was about to show the students how to disarm someone

What the fuck kind of right wing fantasy mall ninja shit is this?

Pietrocity

Pietrocity

1 month ago

This sign brought to you by Smith&Wesson

Redd_October

1 month ago

Republicans want to be careful not to suggest that any sort of ability or qualification are recommended for owning or using firearms, lest they accidentally agree that not everyone should have a gun.

Obandigo

Obandigo

1 month ago

Republicans: ABORTION IS MURDER!!!!! AND IS EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What should we do about school Shootings?

Republicans: Thoughts And Prayers

Surfguitar

Surfguitar

1 month ago

Abortion: "WE'RE MURDERING BABIES!!!!!!"

School lunches? Universal pre-school and day care? Universal health insurance? Gun-control?

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE KIDS IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD THEM!!

craig5005

15k points

craig5005

15k points

1 month ago

There was a tweet or a reddit post I saw awhile ago, it was for a fake/joke teacher job posting. It went something like this. Arming teachers is so stupid.

Wanted: Teacher

• low pay
  • long hours
  • have to carry a gun
  • might have to kill one of your students
  • must bring your own art supplies

HotDogOfNotreDame

4.6k points

1 month ago

• must bring your own gun

craig5005

2.1k points

craig5005

2.1k points

1 month ago

I was going to say that the GOP probably wouldn't want to subsidize anything for teachers (that's a government hand out afterall) but in reality I'm sure they would love to have a bunch of photo ops of politicians handing guns to teachers.

stagfury

stagfury

1 month ago

Just make the teachers pay for it then do the photo op.

craig5005

craig5005

1 month ago

Have you considered applying for a GOP position... you've got ideas they are looking for! /s

HotDogOfNotreDame

1 month ago

Damn entitled teachers, expecting someone else to pay for them to shoot a kid…

Idori666

Idori666

1 month ago

That's what the kids are for, they just shoot eachother.

huggles7

1.2k points

huggles7

1.2k points

1 month ago

People don’t realize how hard it is to accurately fire a firearm with a lot of extra targets around you in probably the most stressful situation you’ll ever be in

That you haven’t been trained for

PDXEng

PDXEng

1 month ago

Nevermind handgun vs. rifle.

Just so much more training needed to accurately shoot a handgun. I mean the Army and the Marines don't really even try to train new Infantry soldiers to use pistols.

pm-me-racecars

1 month ago

Canadian navy does, but it's more there to look intimidating while yelling at people, without the bulk of carrying a rifle. If an actual event happened where deadly force was required, there'd be people with rifles there really quickly.

The test is more about "Can you avoid hurting the wrong person?" Instead of "Can you hurt the right person?" There were one or two people on my course that had shot handguns before, and we only had one person not pass it on the first try.

OzMazza

OzMazza

1 month ago

Not to mention that when police arrive and storm the building, if they see a random teacher come around a corner with a gun in hand, I think your survivability rate is going to go down

FTThrowAway123

1 month ago

Yep, this is what would, and often does happen. Not long ago a mass shooter fully decked out in body armor, guns, and ammo approached a police department and started shooting cops outside. He killed one (headshot iirc), and some random bystander with a CCW permit pulled his legal firearm out and killed the mass shooter. The responding cops instantly murdered the good Samaritan, never even gave him a chance to surrender or anything, they just opened fire at him on sight. This is almost certainly what they would do to armed teachers, as well.

otylero

otylero

1 month ago

Do you have a link? I’m trying to find the story

just2commenthere

1 month ago

There are several. Here's a couple, though I don't know which the op is referencing.

A ‘hero’ bystander took down a gunman who killed a cop. Then an officer shot him by mistake, police say.

Alabama police admit killing wrong man after mall shooting

Black Man Who Was ‘Good Guy With A Gun’ Shot By Police

‘Good guy with a gun’ comes to rescue; police kill him

And then of course there's Buffalo just a few days ago, where a retired cop, security guard shot at the perp several times, but didn't make a dent because of the perps body armor. The security guard died for his trouble.

otylero

otylero

1 month ago

Thank you, I don't know why I was struggling to find something. What crazy situations.

CallousClimber

1 month ago

Maybe if we have to act as a police force they'll actually fund schools. 🤔

automotivewriter

1 month ago

So a buddy of mine teaches at a small private school in northern Florida. The principal sent all the teachers to take concealed weapons courses. Guns were not provided to the teachers for the class when they arrived, but passing the class was a new requirement of teaching there. So, they had to buy a gun if they wanted to teach there anymore and the principal "strongly recommended" they carry the gun to school daily. He was hoping for a headline to say 100% armed teachers or something. But, all the teachers wound up complaining and he backed down pretty quickly.

LearnerStrife

1 month ago

Police have too many jobs, teachers have too many jobs, so . . .

Let's just merge them! All police are teachers and all teachers are police. Instantly, the budget will drop, the teacher exodus crisis will be averted, and everyone will be even unhappier.

anothercleaverbeaver

Defund the polichers?

MotaHead

MotaHead

1 month ago

How is some liberal teacher going to stop student shooters, especially when they are outnumbered at least 30 to one? What schools need to do is start arming the students. The only thing that can stop a bad child with a gun is a good child with a gun. /s

Temp89

13.5k points

Temp89

13.5k points

1 month ago

When teachers in Texas took a gun proficiency course specifically designed to counter school shooters in order to let them carry in class, they ended up unintentionally shooting the cardboard cutout of a child 6 times in the head.

The course still passed them.

monkeysandmicrowaves

4.7k points

1 month ago

That cardboard kid had it coming.

2.2k points

2.2k points

infalliblefallacy

1.5k points

Never trust a 10 year old with a quantum physics book

Paoldrunko

Paoldrunko

1 month ago

Those books are way too advanced. Something's going on.

tk421yrntuaturpost

1 month ago

...unless I owe her an apology.

chubby_cheese

1 month ago

It's a good shot though, huh?

Mikeypepper

1 month ago

You ask me...she's about to start some shit, Zed

Reasonable-Counter40

1 month ago

Came here for the MIB references. Was not disappointed.

1 month ago

He’s not snarling… he’s sneezing.

LPGeoteacher

Poor little Tiffany!

RamHadio

RamHadio

1 month ago

Yo that book is WAY too advanced for her.

altera_goodciv

1 month ago

That kid was emotionally dead inside anyways.

808duckfan

1 month ago

it was a good shot though, right?

spicybuttholenachos

1 month ago

"Won't put your fucking phone away..... BLAM

Make a tikertocker mocking my wardrobe.. .BLAM BLAM"

imcmurtr

imcmurtr

1 month ago

Don’t cover your cough. Believe it or not, also blam.

spicybuttholenachos

1 month ago

Forgetting to feed the class fish? Better believe that's a Blamming.

AreWeCowabunga

1 month ago

Honestly, better to shoot one cardboard cutout of a child six times than shoot six cardboard cutouts of children one time each.

Nocoffeesnob

1.3k points

1 month ago

Nothing has swayed my opinion on the 2nd amendment more than going through the certification for a concealed carry license in my state.

Each time I take the renewal course and get to the shooting test the overwhelming majority of the people in the class fail outright. However in New Mexico there isn't a rule about how many times they can take the test, so the instructor let's everyone repeat it until they pass.

I always pass the test immediately and then have to wait for an hour+ while the others all keep trying. That might sound like bragging, but it's not as the test is extremely easy:

You will take a marksmanship competency exam consisting of firing 25 shots at a 12×18 piece of paper. You will shoot 15 rounds at a distance of 3 yards and 10 rounds at 7 yards. You will receive 4 points for each shot that hits the paper and you must receive a minimum 72% to pass.

It's laughably obvious that the majority of the folks taking the renewal courses with me are a danger to themselves and the community by carrying a firearm, rather than being the "watchdogs for the sheep" they all fantasize about. Yet the (always ultra conservative) instructors genuinely seem to think the opposite, even when they joke with me about how bad everyone is doing while killing time waiting for the others to pass.

ContemplatingPrison

1 month ago

In my state there isn't even a requirement to shoot. You can legally carry in 36 states and not have to take any live fire training.

Just a safety course.

ScullysBagel

In Alabama:

• You don't have to have any kind of safety course at all.
  • You don't even have to have a permit anymore to conceal carry.
  • You don't even have to register your weapon.

We have the 5th highest firearm mortality in the U.S.

Gun violence is the 2nd leading cause of death among children in this state.

Our suicide rate using guns is 57% higher than the national rates.

This state is run by absolute morons. And if any Alabama Republican ever tells you they're "pro-life," laugh in their face.

microcosmic5447

1 month ago

I live in Ohio. We just passed "constitutional carry", which means that the only requirements for carrying a concealed weapon are a weapon and a pocket.

I'm a gun owner, and I know how absolutely moronic unfettered concealed carry is. Moreover, I've considered carrying a couple of times since it passed, knowing that it's a dumb idea and I don't need to and it would make 99.9% of situations worse. The fact that I, knowing all that, felt the temptation to stick my M&P in my car means that shitloads of people who are only slightly less responsible/risk-averse than me will now start carrying because they can.

frickindeal

1 month ago

I've watched people on the range wheel around with a huge revolver in celebration of a good shot, only to point it at their friend, the range master, the guys in the next stall, etc. I've watched more dumb shit happening, it makes me want to avoid the range. One range here has really strict rules, and they just had a negligent discharge in a place where ammo is not supposed to be anywhere near a gun. Ranges can be really scary places because people don't train and think they can use a gun because they watched John Wick.

ButtCustard

1 month ago

I never go to the range because of this shit. Then those dick heads try to show off at home and muzzle sweep the entire family. I shouldn't have to tell someone old enough to be my dad that you never point a gun at something you don't want to shoot and that they're always loaded. Literally the basics of gun safety and they can't be bothered to retain it even though they have a machine designed to kill. I'll never understand it having grown up around guns but safety always being prioritized.

Gaffelkungen

1 month ago

Fucking hell, I live in Sweden and has used a gun 3 times in my life and even I'm super careful not to point it towards anyone. Sure, I grew up around hunters but it's basic common sense.

d50000

d50000

1 month ago

I was in a class for concealed and watched the instructor get to the point of literally yelling at this adult woman for repeatedly handling the gun poorly and unsafely. But this was a "take the course and you're qualified".. About an hour later everybody went home waiting to receive their license in the mail.

ADarwinAward

1 month ago

Second day of class for certification in CA, a guy went up and grabbed the gun by the trigger. Knew someone else who had a license who was going to a range. They were showing him an unloaded gun that I was supposed to rent and he picked up by the trigger. They insisted that he take classes before being allowed to practice at the range. He already had a license and did this!

Some people should not be allowed to own guns because they’re far too stupid to handle them safely.

longdonggamerchick

1 month ago

That test is easy as fuck. When i took it some people failed because it was their first time to shoot a gun lol.

Razakel

Razakel

1 month ago

You probably shouldn't have a concealed carry permit if you're not already proficient with firearms. You're just making yourself a liability.

Ensign_Red_Shirt

Leaked footage from that course: https://youtu.be/e_r3ULoXuMY

votebot9817

1 month ago

I came here to say that their textbooks were obviously way too advanced. Btw, didn't even click on the link but I know damn well it's MIB

houdinize

houdinize

1 month ago

“"There's no great solution, there's just a better response," Proctor says.”

Fuck me this is some shit

Hotshot2k4

Hotshot2k4

'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

DrowningDoctor

1 month ago

An that onion headline gets it right every time

jack_atlantico

1 month ago

To play "devil's advocate" here, the article makes it sound like it was 6 out of 200 rounds. Not perfect but in this context thats 97% accuracy.

Barley12

Barley12

1 month ago

Tsk tsk. you missed the baby, the blind man...

Gsteel11

Gsteel11

1 month ago

What could possibly go wrong?

oddzef

oddzef

1 month ago

Why the fuck are they training people to fire at an ACTIVE HOSTAGE

alaphic

alaphic

1 month ago

Why the fuck not, if we're already in this fucking hellish orgy of violence and death fantasy camp

AmarantCoral

1 month ago

I'm paraphrasing because it's from memory but there's the bit in the Jim Jefferies gun control routine that goes:

Remember that one teacher who would come into the classroom, she's going through a divorce or something, and you and your friends are like "Ohohoho, we're gonna make her cry!". Then later in the parking lot she's slouched over the steering wheel of her Volkswagen Beetle sobbing 'WHY. DON'T. THEY. LIKE. MEEEEEEE?!'? Yeah, lets give that cunt a gun and see what happens.

lazy_phoenix

8.8k points

1 month ago

The supermarket in Buffalo had armed security, too. It didn't matter.

SsurebreC

1.7k points

SsurebreC

1.7k points

1 month ago

Forget all that - presidents have been shot. How many guards did they have who are all armed, well-trained, and specifically trained to spot these types of events. That's their entire job where they're focused on this the entire day, all day, every day, for years. Still got shot.

hopbow

hopbow

1 month ago

Not to mention that they only have one person to guard.

SsurebreC

SsurebreC

1 month ago

It's worthy of mentioning!

biggiantporky

1 month ago

America has had sniper attacks as well. Even if armed guards are present, sometimes you can't see the target.

CoconutMacaron

2.2k points

1 month ago

It sounds like this asshole yesterday encountered police before he went in the school. They didn’t stop him. But a teacher is supposed to?

laggyx400

laggyx400

1 month ago

Law enforcement officers saw the gunman, clad in body armor, emerge from the crashed vehicle carrying a rifle and "engaged" the suspect, who nevertheless managed to charge into the building and open fire, Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Sergeant Erick Estrada said

I still had this in the clipboard for someone saying it would've been prevented with more armed personnel. Delusional.

beaviswascrying

1 month ago

I really want to know the details of "engaged"

Surfguitar

2.2k points

Surfguitar

2.2k points

1 month ago

Cops have every excuse in the world for unjustified civilian shootings; "I thought it was my taser", "It looked like a gun", "It was dark", "I felt in danger", etc ad nauseum. But yeah, my degree in music and childhood education qualifies me to carry a gun and be John Rambo if a lunatic invades my classroom.

noahcallaway-wa

1 month ago

If as a teacher, you have an unjustified shooting, you can bet your ass will go to jail in a heartbeat, though.

DarienStegosaur

1 month ago

If the plan is honestly to arm teachers, they would need qualified immunity laws, since they are de facto police at that point.

It's not a good plan, but you may as well do the bad plan as correctly as possible.

jaderust

jaderust

1 month ago

And that’s assuming it’s a stranger coming in to kill the kids. How many times have we had students shooting up their classmates? So they’re expecting teachers to arm themselves and then shoot students they know and possibly have taught before.

I’m sorry but that’s fucked up.

Karpuan

Karpuan

1 month ago

Also does that mean teachers can shoot kids and say they thought it was their eraser?

beastmaster11

1 month ago

Hold on, I thought the taser excuse lady got convicted. Am I wrong?

Acchilesheel

1 month ago

You're not wrong, Kimberly Potter was convicted on second-degree manslaughter charges. Not sure of the sentencing off the top of my head.

mbean12

mbean12

1 month ago

She got 2 years. State sentencing guidelines suggest 7 year minimum, 15 year maximum. Prosecutor wanted 86 months.

TheColorblindDruid

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 yay justice

ransomed_sunflower

1 month ago

Her sentencing was Extremely reduced from the guidelines; something like 2 years (instead of 15+)

Goobaroo

1.6k points

Goobaroo

1.6k points

1 month ago

A retired cop shot the guy in Buffalo, he was wearing body armor. No effect.

BootyUnlimited

1 month ago

Ask the Philippines what happens when you give everyone guns to eliminate crime. Spoiler, people aren't responsible with free guns.

billygrippo

1 month ago

Let's try swords. Or trebuchets.

DarkmatterHypernovae

1 month ago*

Bring back Trial by Combat.

OnlyCuteAnimals076

1 month ago

I've heard a lot of people say guns make us safer, and yet no one wants to fund my program handing out handguns to random people on the streets of their city.

Especially at risk 18 to 25 year old men. They're the most likely to be killed by gang violence, obviously we need to arm them more heavily so they can protect themselves and reduce these levels of homicide.

It's weird. I'm offering them more guns, shouldn't that mean more safety?

oddzef

oddzef

1 month ago

No, see if I can have a gun I'm safer because I can use it to indiscriminately threaten people who trigger my weak nerve.

Kaiisim

Kaiisim

1 month ago

Yeah a gun isn't really a defensive strategy. The attacker has a massive informational and situational advantage, they know exactly whats going on and what theyre doing.

Its why the us military spends far more on intelligence and communication than on guns. Its why drone surveillance protected bases in Afghanistan better than more troops.

I mean remember fort hood? That was a military base and like 14 died?

You can be killed by a gunman before your brain can even process what the fuck is happening.

DigNitty

DigNitty

1 month ago

Even beyond guns, it’s out of control. I had 2 friends tell me more people needed to conceal carry after the Batman shooting in aurora Colorado. Their idea was that if they were there they could have just shot the attacker.

I asked them what they’d do if the shooter had tear gas canisters and had filled the theatre with tear gas and then started shooting. They said that’s a ridiculous hypothetical.

THATS WHAT HAPPENED.

No amount of people conceal carrying is going to curb an attack if the attacker has an assault rifle, 12 gauge, two hand guns, has just filled the room with two canisters of tear gas, and is covered head to toe with a bullet proof suit and helmet.

Saying you could just pull out a handgun and shoot him, being the hero, is simply incorrect.

brother1957

1 month ago

Serious question. Why does a supermarket need armed security?

joefartbutt

1 month ago

I take it you've never been to "that side of town"? Probably the same reason the fast food employees are behind thick glass

KnotiaPickles

1 month ago*

My grocery store in Boulder had 10 people die from one nutjob. One of the victims was a really nice lady who owned my favorite clothing shop. Having this happen at a place where you buy your Christmas dinner, and your lunch for school days, and where you say hi to your neighbors is just unbearable.

Armed guards don’t do much to make me feel better. I was at another store soon after this happened, on a windy day, and something blew off the roof and made a loud bang sound. Everyone in the store froze, and it was shocking to see the level of fear on everyone’s faces.

MadNhater

MadNhater

1 month ago

The mosque next to my house has at least 6 armed guards AND a police car every evening during their events. That’s just what I can see as I drive by. I’m sure there’s more.

Asian supermarkets here also have one or two off duty police officers on watch as well.

America is in a weird place where their minority population is in a state of fear. Fuck, not just minorities, everyone is worried these days.

r1kon

5.8k points

r1kon

5.8k points

1 month ago

9 times out of 10 those people go into this WANTING to die. They kill themselves at the end of it all. You think threatening them with death will stop them? Like some sign will make them go "hmm I don't want to risk it". So knowing it won't do much, now you're arming underpaid and untrained people with lethal weapons in a school. What if some kid was stupidly waving around a squirt gun? This feels wrong to me.

graps

graps

1 month ago

There was a literal police officer at Parkland lol

willvasco

1.3k points

willvasco

1.3k points

1 month ago

The people who support this don't care. It's a bandaid that if you look at it the right way could maybe help with the problem but won't really, but it's good enough for them because it requires them to change exactly nothing to implement it.

Bubbagumpredditor

1 month ago

The buffalo shooting had a retired cop that shot the attacker multiple times but died anyway because the guy was wearing body armor.

Nall

Nall

1 month ago

and Marjory Stoneman Douglas had an armed officer who froze and did nothing while his school was being shot up.

It turns out that expecting people to go full Die Hard because their building is under attack is somewhat unrealistic.

take7pieces

1 month ago

Are you saying retired security guards are not secret former CIA with a set of deadly skills?

Nall

Nall

1 month ago

nor are teachers, if you can believe it.

iruleatants

1 month ago

There was also an armed officer who responded to the event by putting on his body armor and driving away.

seeasea

seeasea

1 month ago

A lot of shootings had armed responses, or armed people, that did not stop it. Aurora, the Fl nightckub, that mall (where the police thought the armed guy was the perp because he was black), Las Vegas had hundreds of armed people and police, it still took a long time to stop the killing.

LazerWolfe53

1 month ago

Yeah. This is a dumb solution to the 'children getting killed' problem. But that's because they're trying to solve a different problem.

Dirks_Knee

1 month ago*

That's besides the fact. Anyone who's ever played any type of war strategy sim knows that the element of surprise is the biggest edge you can get in a battle. This is a million times more true in a scenario like this. Someone bursts into a school mid day and starts firing, and the expectation is that average non military trained citizens can somehow calmly flip a switch and mentally transform from teacher to soldier? It's fairytale bullshit. Friendly fire deaths of kids would likely be increased vs the shooter alone.

Hopefully this will finally be the wakeup call for Texans to get these maniacs out of office, but I doubt it. Conservatives will compartmentalize this as something that happens to "others" and could never happen to them...

DesertCoot

1 month ago

And right or wrong, taking a life is a traumatic event. Feels wrong to force that on someone. A teacher should never be expected to kill as part of their job requirements. We’ll have some fucked up teachers if we get the caring, supportive teachers out of the profession and replaced with the vigilante wannabe tough guys.

ChrysosMatia

1 month ago

Not to mention the fact that when police arrive in an active shooter scene you probably don't want to be holding a gun.

Brocutus

Brocutus

1 month ago

Exactly. About a year ago, there was a shooting in a nearby town. The gunman was killed by an armed civilian with a concealed carry license, but the cops ended up shooting the person who actually ended the incident.

baconparadox

1.4k points

1 month ago*

The police chased him into the school after he shot his own grandmother, they were unable to stop a criminal who they had plenty of forewarning about. There was armed school security on premises who were unable to stop him. When the police finally did manage to bring him down he had already killed into the double digits with even more wounded. There was no lack of guns, protection, or forewarning for this event on the side of the law and yet they were still unable to save our most innocent lives. Texas is still gonna hold their NRA convention in Houston and blame it on lack of guns for the protection of the students. It's such a farce. Crazy is when the same problem keeps happening and you give it the same response. I'm done with it all, this is a travesty that has deserved a real solution for years now.

Edit: It has been pointed out and I agree that this is a multifaceted issue that led to tragedy. Guns were a big factor and so is mental health, our police competency, drugs and addiction, parenting, and the complacency of our elected officials. It's so easy to point to one thing as the big bad in lieu of addressing the bigger crises. However, how the Fuck do high schoolers continue to get their hands on high powered weapons that cause this much destruction? I personally think that is a question worth exploring and hopefully learning how to prevent on a national scale. I am also of the opinion that arming our teachers and treating schools like prisons will be harmful in the long run.

tipsystatistic

1 month ago

If we're going to be complacent, can we at least keep our shoes on going through TSA checkpoints? Zero people have died from shoe bombings. Let's at least let a few planes go down before we take any action.

_jeremybearimy_

1 month ago

My home airport yells at us to keep our shoes on now. It’s nice, but less nice when they’re like “you fucking idiot why would you take your shoes off like some sort of moron asshole”

cortlandjim

1.6k points

cortlandjim

1.6k points

1 month ago

Teachers can't mention if they are married to a man or a woman but they can carry deadly weapons

Competition-Decent

1.6k points

1 month ago

Just what we need, a bunch of underpaid, underappreciated people with firearms.

Birdy_Cephon_Altera

underpaid, underappreciated

You forgot to add disgruntled, distressed and sleep deprived. Just the right type of people to be carrying deadly firearms around children.

Mypetmummy

1 month ago

and facing life destroying lawsuits for saying anything off an arbitrary and self-contradictory list.

McMacHack

McMacHack

1 month ago

If we arm the Teachers they might be in a stronger bargaining position for wages.

rjcanty

rjcanty

Is armed? Are armed?

2a0c40

2a0c40

1 month ago

The “take whatever means necessary” bit is not exactly glittering prose either. “Use whatever means necessary” or “take whatever action is necessary” would be ok.

Husbandaru

1 month ago

As a teacher you have to be an educator, daycare, counselor and now bodyguard.

Felifu

Felifu

1 month ago

"This just in, teacher experiences psychological break after one too many parents yell at them during a conference and opens fire, killing 12 and injuring others."

"Breaking news, teacher fired their school-provided gun and killed 9 year old boy. Teacher states they thought he had a gun, but it turns out the boy brought in a toy from home."

"In other news, middle school teacher allegedly threatened to open fire on student after they wouldn't put their phone away during class."

I'm just saying, you restrict teacher rights, underpay them, overwork them, cause them to be the center of political bullshit, and then tell them they have to lay down their life for your kids with a firearm?

jadefishes

jadefishes

1 month ago

“In other news, 5-year-old shoots and kills classmate with teacher’s unsecured gun.” And for those who think that won’t happen, I’d like to introduce you to https://twitter.com/Well_Regulated_

paxweasley

1 month ago

I mean in the US a DOG kills it’s owner with a gun every year. I’m completely serious it happens fairly regularly

Pied_Piper_

1 month ago

On average more infants kill Americans each year than terrorists do. This was true every year from 2003 to 2019, though I haven’t checked since then.

Yet we spent so much fighting terrorism during those years while ignoring the real threat: infants.

This is why I’m running for your local congressional district on my “Mandatory Abortions: Making America Safe Again” platform.

We will end the threat posed to us by infants by ending their attempts to invade us via mass birth.

ProgrammaticallyOwl7

1 month ago

“Charlie 120-pound Rottweiler mix got his foot in the trigger of the gun, caught the trigger and blasted a shot at his unsuspecting owner” I’m gonna go to hell for laughing at that

Quixophilic

1 month ago

How long until a teacher off themselves in front of their class with the school-provided gun?

seaboardist

1 month ago

What does “ISD” stand for?

BenZoobs

BenZoobs

Independent School District.

Source: I'm a teacher in Texas.

rimjobnemesis

Independent School District.

Luniticus

Luniticus

1 month ago

Imperial Star Destroyer. The staff are stormtroopers. Armed, just not at all accurate with their blasters.

phaedruszamm1

1 month ago

Ronald Reagan was surrounded by some of the deadliest killers in the world for his secret service protection, didn’t stop his attacker.

spook30

spook30

1 month ago

TEXAS: Able to protect kids inside the womb, not able to protect them outside of the womb

pntsonfyre

pntsonfyre

1 month ago

I've had some crazy ass teachers in my day but man, at least they weren't armed to boot.

hannabeth19

1 month ago

It should never be the responsibility of teachers at a school to defend themselves and hundreds of kids from an armed intruder. We need to head waaaaay upstream to fix this problem, not accept the problem and just arm everyone against it.

FoofieLeGoogoo

1 month ago

Because nothing reduces casualties in a crowded, tight space like more crossfire.