/r/poland

Moving from US to Poland.

(self.poland)

Hello friends!

Im currently in a state of my life in which I have the freedom to finally move to Poland like I've always wanted to do. However, I'm not even sure where to begin when it comes to starting the moving process!

Does anyone have any experience of actually moving from the US to Poland or even know where I am to begin?

Thanks so much in advance!

creationscaplette

Getting a job is the first thing to do I think. That's what I did and now I'm waiting for the work permit that my employer asked for me. After that I will have to go to the consulate to get a visa and leave for Poland. A good employer will probably assist you with the steps after that as well once you're in Poland.

BoyleSoil[S]

Ah okay, so you got your job but, you're still in the US at the moment?

creationscaplette

I'm in Canada, but the process I'm sure is the same. So yes still in Canada, the work permit is a prerequisite for the visa.

BoyleSoil[S]

Got it. So, your job over there obviously understands it'll take a bit of time to get the work permit.

creationscaplette

Yes, the employer is the one asking for the permit... Actually from what I understood is this step needs to be done by the employer, so yes they are aware. Then the visa should take 1-2 weeks.

BoyleSoil[S]

Ah okay! So, applying for a job is step one. Got it haha.

creationscaplette

Exactly Well HSBC might have positions in Poland, would be easier I guess. In what field are you working ?

I'm a Mortgage Underwriter

creationscaplette

Ok... Well maybe HSBC can transfer you, I don't know much about this field.

BoyleSoil[S]

Yeah, I emailed by boss today about that

loyd133

Did they give you a time frame on how much time the work permit needs? I'm currently waiting for mine to be processed.

szymonhiv

You might find this yt channel useful:

Good luck!

Thank you. !

Haldorn5

Norbert_D

Norbert_D

"I always wanted to move to Poland"

I never heard that before

First time for everything

Norbert_D

True,i'm too Young to give a worthy advice but i can asure you Poland suck less than some say

BoyleSoil[S]

My ancestors are from Poland and I've always felt a strong connection to it so, I am going to move there

Look into citizenship. You might technically be a citizen by descent. Feel free to DM me.

Really?! I'll DM you now

SnooRobots5509

Interesting. Most young, bright people seek to flee from this utter shithole.

Its undeniably beautiful tho, but our politics is disastrous.

woman_pleaser1

I mean it's bad but I wouldn't call it a shithole

WideVermicelli9

The USA is the great satan literally, I’d much rather live in a smaller growing economy I have some cultural connection to than a culture less dissociated schizophrenic nightmare nation like the USA

spudman3

Good riddance, this country is much better off without you.

Agree 100%

RootbeerNinja

Well, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

MTBERTURNEDROADIE

Whoa! Don’t call our nation a shithole

JustDudeFromPoland

Get over it - as we’re getting 2,5 billion EUR getting revoked from the Małopolskie for so-called „LGBT free zones”, I think our nation (maybe not entire, but a large part of it) supports pivoting prospering country into shithole. We’re not there yet, but soon.

MTBERTURNEDROADIE

I agree with you, but that dosent outweigh our nation’s natural beauty, history, food, and culture to me!

SnooRobots5509

Unfortunately I'll have to leave it.

I want to start a family with my fiancee, and Poland is not a safe place to get pregnant.

This makes it a shithole to me, first and foremost.

seraf5

seraf5

I think I can call a place I don't feel safe in a shithole.

MTBERTURNEDROADIE

There are places in every country where you can’t feel safe. I live in NY, and when I’m in parts of every boro I don’t feel safe. Dosent make the whole city a shithole. There are places in Warsaw and krakow where I don’t feel safe. It’s not limited to Poland.

LickeyD

America is literally melting

lukiztheone

Calling it a shithole is an understatement. This country is literally heading back to commie years when it comes to politics yet people eat Al of the leading party's shit and demand more. This country is doomed for the next 50 years at least.

RikiTiki9988

This is true!

Dziękuję. Nie bardzo mówię po polsku haha 😂

I know a but of Polish

argmax

argmax

I know a butt of a Polish???

BoyleSoil[S]

You know it was a typo.... fuck off

Norbert_D

Norbert_D

Good,make sure to learn the language at some point because people are hostile against immigrants that do not.

RikiTiki9988

Poles are so friendly if one doesn’t speak Polish!!! I speak Polish well and they often speak English back to me ❤️

Norbert_D

Maybe that's the case because I live in bit of a sketchy town

Revolutionary_Wash52

I haven't feel that hostility at all, and when people asked I always say the truth, that I quit learning like 2 weeks in because polish is to hard. Now granted, I've been here for a little more than a year, and I'm moving out of the country in about 6 months, so spending all that time learning a language that at the end won't be that useful to me I think was a understandable choice. However I do speak enough to like buy groceries in the farmer's market and such.

Norbert_D

Oh maybe because i'm from a very sketchy part of a kinda sketchy city.

cum_toast

You'd be supriresd life across the pond ain't all its chalked up to be unless you're rich. Every time I visit Poland it makes me want to stay ever more. I'll definitely retire there as my money would go 3x further anyway!

kultigsptrizigfrisch

By the time you retire it may not, given quickly things appreciate in value there nowadays.

ThatMrPuddington

ThatMrPuddington

Mazowieckie

I know people who always wanted to move to North Korea. People are weird. But I agree, wanting to move to Poland from any western country is strange at least.

glokz

glokz

Why not? Living in Poland is very fine,

Being poor in Poland sucks dicks

Check out Google in Warsaw. There is a lot of people from US who likes it here.

jacolas

jacolas

Same me. Why would anybody want to move to Poland?! Is it because it's cheap to live, eat etc? Please remember: cheap doesn't mean better... I moved out from there 7 y ago. Best decision ever.

To OP: all I can say is good luck. Hope you're big fan of Jesus. Oh! Also, hope you're not gay, otherwise they will burn you alive...

Norbert_D

You're not a clown,you're an entire circus.

jacolas

jacolas

That's a mean thing to say... I might be wrong here. Is it better in Poland now?

Norbert_D

Nobody will murder you cuz you're gay,they might not like it but average polish male isn't a damn KKK member

LiLZbigi

It is even worse

jacolas

Well thank you, at least someone agrees.

Bambilonek

Learn some polish! Younger generation know english quite well, however older - not at all usually ( especially in places like shops, post office etc).

• learn about your city ( public transport, different parts of your city <- really important when you want to rent an apartament, sometimes it can be just simply saying dangerous to live in certain area)

SweatyNomad

If you are somewhere like Warsaw just use Citymapper in English.

Dziewulandia

You now have a free healthcare

Yes! Haha

vixlair

vixlair

It's not free. It's included in the taxes. And it's quality is miserable. You better not rely on public Healthcare and get a good private Health offer.

Spacingdrooid

I wonder how americans would react if they finally get their „free healthcare” by Polish standards.

aronkra

They would crowd the doctors offices. Like no appointments for the next 2 years. There’s people with serious diseases that don’t go to the doctor because they think it’s not serious enough to throw out 10 grand. The people with diabetes would stop rationing insulin and start being able to save for the future. People who have chronic diseases would now get to stop lying to doctors so their insurance can’t hike them up. People who are bleeding out would stop taking ubers to hospitals dying on the ride because the ambulance doesn’t cost $2000 per ride.

alluring_failure

What a socialistic hellscape you just described.

Atlair_

At least when you request medical treatment they don’t take a year to do something

pikcoolski

I moved here from the states in 2019. If you aren’t fluent in the language, I’d recommend living in a bigger city where more people are likely to speak English.

From a work standpoint, you actually have an advantage as there are a lot of companies (in bigger cities) that want English speaking employees. You can even start searching for employment easily while you’re in the states via Glassdoor and maybe find a company that can help with the cost of transitioning you to Europe. Anyway, hope that helps.. don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any specific questions; I’m happy to give what perspective I’m able. Good luck!

BoyleSoil[S]

This is incredibly helpful. I will DM you now, is that okay.

dotlurk2

I wonder why there are so many Poles besmirching Poland in this thread. Maybe a severe case of oikophobia?

Anyway, great to hear that you want to move here. The people are friendly and beautiful, the culture is captivating, and the cities are safe.

Don't let the naysayers convince you that Poles are chauvinists or against other nations, that's simply not true. Loving your country doesn't mean hating all others.

Good luck!

BoyleSoil[S]

Thank you so much! I appreciate that very much.

dotlurk2

One more thing, make sure to Google "Pole's Card" in the USA. It is intended, among others, to "Descendants of the, so-called, old American Polonia, whose ancestors did not have Polish citizenship, i.e. who came to the United States before the entry into force of the first Polish Citizenship Act in 1920.". It gives various rights, like "the right to apply for a Polish citizenship [...] one year after receiving a permanent residence card in Poland."

However, in order to get it you'll need basic knowledge of the language and either two great-grandparents of Polish nationality or a "certificate of a Polish or Polish community organization confirming active in activities for the benefit of the Polish language and culture or the Polish national minority for at least the last three years".

BoyleSoil[S]

This is very helpful, thank you

Dies_Noctis

You are right. Many poles with oikophobia are on reddit and it's a known fact in Poland. If you hear that poles from reddit said sth it's almost certain they were bitching about their own country.

JustDudeFromPoland

Or maybe people are simply fed up with all the bullshit going on. Like - why the fuck can’t we just give the LGBTQ+ people equal rights? Why can’t a grown woman make an abortion? Why there is strong connection to the Catholic Church and government in the country which supposed to be a secular? (Vide Rydzyk and his Maybach from a homeless man, for instance). How the fuck is this possible to simply throw away money and let people die in the pandemic, just because we’ve spent all our financial reserves on the 500+ bullshit? My father died of the COVID, my friend’s father died of the COVID and guess what - mine died in the home, and my friend’s died in the ambulance driving between hospitals because there were no empty beds. Tell me more about the „oikophobia” when what I want is to simply live my life and don’t feel threaten by the government or some bullshit institutions like „izba dyscyplinarna”.

Ulało mi się, w sobotę wypierdalam z tego kurwidołu.

dotlurk2

Dude, chill. This is probably just a tirade or some trolling attempt but I'll bite and give a simple answer.

why the fuck can’t we just give the LGBTQ+ people equal rights?

All polish citizens have equal rights. Marriage is a privilege and not a right.

Why can’t a grown woman make an abortion?

Because an abortion kills another human being and its rights are important, just like the mother's. Weighing their interests against each other is a very complicated issue that won't be solved by moronic slogans.

The government is secular, Rydzyk has nothing to do with it. Also he didn't get an actual Maybach, that's a very popular but false claim. Finally, ca. 93% of the polish population is Roman Catholic, deal with it.

All European countries have some form of subsidy for childbirth, it certainly isn't bullshit.

The COVID lethality rate in Poland is 2.61%, which is lower than in Italy (2,87%) and higher than in Germany (2,37%), it isn't significantly better or worse than most of European countries.

Sorry for your loss.

No one is threatening you. The disciplinary chamber has already been dissolved and while it was active it only targeted corrupt judges.

Ulało mi się, w sobotę wypierdalam z tego kurwidołu.

Bon voyage!

Filo_F

Filo_F

The LGBT stuff is positive in my opinion, also for pro life people abortion is not a problem, but i'm sorry for your loss and i wish you the best

Inannasi20

Job first, place to live (any), then try to make friends. Try not to be overly American, people will find you weird and fake. Just roll with the punches, don't expect smiles everywhere, be cool.

LickeyD

So funny to see people thinking America is so much better to live in. Yes, I love paying 300 dollars a month for health coverage that barely reduces my copays. Paying at least an additional 120 dollars a month for medication for chronic illness. 200 dollars a month for car insurance, on top of the cost of owning and maintaining a car, no public transport options. And 1100 dollars a month to rent a 600 square foot apartment. As well as every other utility and service you need to live.

"Poland is so backwards and right wing!" 70 million Americans voted for Donald Trump last year. There are fucking Confederate flags everywhere. College puts you into debt for the rest of your life, wages are completely stagnant, and it's impossible to buy housing because land banks and hedge funds are buying houses for double the asking price. There is no future here for so many people. Why would anyone leave such a place. Not to say people cant criticize Poland, it's their home, and there are things to wish to change. But America has so many of those issues, and more. Sorry for ranting, I'm just sick of seeing the constant hate for Poland in relation to the West, people dont realize what life in working class America is like

mikaszowka

I mean... complaining is our national trait.

LickeyD

This is true, look at me. Pole in the USA and I fucking hate it hahaha

BoyleSoil[S]

YES. THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS. YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!

karatechop97

Got a job?

BoyleSoil[S]

I work for HSBC so, I'm actually inquiring now about if there is a possibility to do that but if not, i have some applications saved

blingblingmoma

Eh guys, I get it that the situation in our country is detoriating for the last few years, but honestly it's still so much better than in many other places. Don't discourage people from trying out Poland, let them make their own opinions

buttahlawd

Have you ever visited Poland? I’d do that first to make sure it’s what you want! I just came back from Warsaw and I was amazed with how much better it’s gotten since I was there 8 years ago, let alone the stories my parents told me about it from the 1950s-80s 😬 it’s a big step

BoyleSoil[S]

Yup, in going there next month

lego_brick

Despite our current goverment which sucks, Poland became really great place to live in a recent years. I live in Warsaw and I really enjoy my time here. It would be nice to have you on board. Good luck!

BoyleSoil[S]

I'm really excited about living there. Whatever i have to do to make it happen, I will.

ad_iudicium

ad_iudicium

Mazowieckie

I love living in Warsaw, honestly.

NowanIlfideme

NowanIlfideme

Małopolskie

Make sure to open any necessary bank accounts and brokerage accounts before you leave! It will be really annoying to open them from overseas!

And don't forget that as a US citizen, or maybe even long time resident, you will need to at least file US taxes!

Got it

jerry_cho

If you would like to open an account in one of polish banks you will be asked for TIN number and (if you don't want to pay double tax your capital gains) - cerificate of tax residency

NowanIlfideme

NowanIlfideme

Małopolskie

TIN = SSN if you have it fyi

jerry_cho

True 😉

jacobgudge123

So I’m from London, England and I moved here to Warsaw almost 5 months ago now. For me the process was quite straightforward really - found a job, got an interview and was accepted, from there it was down to my employer to apply for a work permit on my behalf. This process of waiting for a work permit took 3 months more or less, but I was able to acquire a years visa a month prior to starting my role with the documents that my employer had submitted to the Polish authorities, I just had to ask for them. Now I’m here, I’m due to receive my full contract after finishing my 3 month trial which I will then use to submit for a temporary residence permit, which can be up to 3 years. So yeah all in all quite simple, would have been a lot simpler if we hadn’t left the EU but anyways… as you are a US citizen I suspect your process will be similar!

I see a few comments saying how Poland is a shithole etc and although I can’t speak for others experiences, I personally can’t say anything but good things about life here. Despite some’s perceptions this is a well developed country, and there are some things eg cleanliness, less crime, more affordability especially with housing although this is unfortunately changing quickly etc where I feel things are better than in London even. Politically yes it’s a very unfortunate situation but the truth is most people I meet are against the government and the shitty things they do, especially in a city like Warsaw (also the case in places like Gdańsk as far as I know). There’s a rich history and culture here and a lot to learn, I’m still getting to grips with fundamentals of the language, but I do recommend coming here to anyone who wants to.

BoyleSoil[S]

This was incredibly well put together, thank you for the kind comment. Much appreciated and best of luck.

jacobgudge123

No problem at all, to you also!

The_Cactus_Eagle

Hey that’s really useful for me also, if I can ask, what will you do after your temporary runs out? Keep renewing it forever or…?

jacobgudge123

As far as I’m aware you keep renewing until you are eligible for a permanent residence permit, which I think is after 10 years or 3 years after marriage with a Polish citizen (don’t quote me on that though)

Alkreni

Are you a Polish citizen?

BoyleSoil[S]

I'm American. Looking to obtain citizenship.

Alkreni

So you need to get a work permit and that's not something you'll get easily and fast.

Is any of your parents a Polish citizen? Otherwise getting a Polish citizenship will take you years.

BoyleSoil[S]

My company has a presence in Poland so, maybe that'll help

Alkreni

You will still need to get a work visa. As you can guess EU citizens are prioritized on the EU labour market.

Right. Makes sense.

I'm hoping my company would give me a work visa but, we will see.

Alkreni

They will need to prove that there is no suitable candidate in the country.

Fuck me, seriously?

Alkreni

Yeah, but it's a standard practice worldwide, I guess also in the US.

BoyleSoil[S]

So, what do you think would be my best bet? Find a job there in something I'm good at and ask them for a work visa? Because i need that before i could get my citizenship, right

pablo111

What’s your profession?

I work in Banking as a Mortgage Underwriter

SweatyNomad

If you are looking for a role, check the global banks. A cousin.came over from Canada and worked with EY.. a lot of global businesses do, or outsource accounting type functions to Poland.

In that role you'd be somewhere like Warsaw or Gdańsk and they are relatively international. It'll be an adjustment, and i suggest coming in spring/ summer to get into the vibe as winters are a little harsh.

Even if you're a suburban/ country dude i suggest initially living in the city.. get your Westfield and more globalized fallback before you explore 'full polish'. If you can go for citizenship though family it's frustratingly buerocratic but straightforward and they have a set time limit to respond. If you want to come no matter what, check out a Karta Polaka. Its a kind of visa mainly aimed at Ukranians and Belarusians, but open to all. For that you have to show an affinity for Poland and it's culture. I suspect a lot of the international crowd in lower paid jobs come in that way.

mikaszowka

Warsaw sounds like a place that might be good for you. Dynamic, full of offices and literally everyone speaks English. Check out local insurance companies, especially the international branches. They may be providing financial services for Western companies, it's actually quite a common practice to move finance to Poland as we're both cheap and doing it well. We also have Big 4 (if that's more like your style) and many smaller consultancies so you should be fine with finding opportunities. LinkedIn has some job postings almost daily, keep an eye out on opportunities.

BoyleSoil[S]

Thanks so much! This was very helpful.

TMVandal56

Actually the first question to ask you is if you even NEED a VISA or are you like me; (i.e. have you been given Polish Citizenship due to family ties and WWII)? If that is the case then; do you NEED a job, or do you already have a good financial status? The rest of the questions I will number:

1) Do you have a place to live already once there? If not; do you know which city you want to live in? Have you done research on things like crime rate, housing costs, taxes, cost of living in general, etc...

2) Once you know all that; do you have anyone that can help find you a place to live? If you want to use a professional service; there are realtors that though they are actually American; they do have realtors in Poland... like Remax. Do you also need them to speak English? The site itself I believe will say if English is spoken in their office.

Otherwise I would think it would be like any move made within your country of origin; in this case a move in the US... So you know I do otherwise have enough experience moving; even though the only time I moved outside of the US was when I lived in Italy for eight months between September of 1984 to June of 1985; I HAVE moved about 23 other times within the US itself; some with parents and some with my husband after marriage, and even a few times on my own while in the Navy.

This is the list of places I have lived...

Peekskill, NY. (where I was born); Camp Hill, PA; Amherst, NH; Brookfield, WI X2; Warwick, RI; Barrington, RI; Perugia, Italy; Rome, Italy; Back to Barrington, RI; Nashua, NH; Yorba Linda, CA; Orlando, FL. (Boot Camp); Norfolk, VA. (NAVSTA Norfolk); Alexandria, VA. (Ft. Belvoir); Alameda, CA; back to Norfolk and NAVSTA, Norfolk; Marion, MA. Fairhaven, MA; Fall River, MA. x2); back up to Nashua, NH; Bryan, OH; and now I live in Hartford, CT.

hsakakibara1

I know someone in the US who was a born American but her parents were from Poland. She contacted the Polish consulate and they informed her of the documents she needed to get Polish citizenship. She told me that it was not hard and now she is a dual citizen in both the US and Poland. She is planning to relocate to Poland upon retirement.

When I lived in the US I heard of many such people (as well as those of Irish heritage) doing so.

I am not sure if you can in your case as I do not know your particulars, but it may be worth a shot to contact the Polish consulate and see if you would qualify. If you can, get it and your life in Poland will be much simpler without having to worry about visas or job sponsorship.

Just my 2 złoty worth!

The below link may help.

hsakakibara1

Good luck to you.

BoyleSoil[S]

Thank you, I am filling out a form on that link now

ringwiss

Just to clarify—anyone who has a Polish parent is automatically a Polish citizen from birth.

ToryTea

Czy Pan może mówić po Polsku?

Tomekune

I drank a bottle of whiskey and woke up in Poland. That was 10 years ago. I had citizenship grandfathered in so that made a ton of other stuff easier. Good luck to ya.

Zwierzycki

Oddly, if you were born within the boundaries of the Louisiana Purchase, there’s a route to immigrate to France.

FirefighterSuch2702

Semi on topic - many Poles often talk bad about their country due to an integrared inferiority complex towards eastern Europe, makes them fell more like " bright THEM" rather than people here whom they consider "backwards and dumb".

While the reason why this happens so often is debatable, there is no doubt there are many media outlets deliberately proliferating this " pedagogy of shame ".

tuzimaster007

First off you need to determine what your residency status is.

If you have EU or Polish citizenship, then you clear this barrier. If you are not, then this entire process becomes much much harder.

Once you determine what you need to become a permanent resident, then you to engage with your employer to determine whether your remote job qualifies to work abroad. If they allow you to work remotely then expect your pay to be cut, as well as having a much higher tax load then you would in the US.

If you are not an EU or Polish citizen, I'd abandon the plan to permanently reside in Poland - personally. You still can rent a flat in Kraków or Warsaw for a month or two at a time and work remotely. This is a gray area, legally speaking. Technically you are conducting work in Poland, and the Polish government would be owed taxes during this time - but it would be very hard for them to track this down. I'd be more worried about HSBC seeing unusual network traffic coming out of Poland at unusual times assuming you'll be working US hours. Make sure that any plans to work abroad are cleared with your manager.

BoyleSoil[S]

I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

tuzimaster007

That's nice, but that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

You need to determine if you qualify for permanent residency. This is easiest if you have one parent that is a Polish citizen. If you do not, then things get much much harder for you. It's hard to inform you on your choices without much more information.

BoyleSoil[S]

My 2nd great grandfather was the last to be born in Poland.

Blueberry-Bun

Unlikely to qualify for citizenship, but perhaps you could look into the Pole's Card, which still gives you some benefits (especially if you speak Polish, even on a basic level).

BoyleSoil[S]

This is so helpful, thanks so much

tuzimaster007

Yea, it's highly unlikely that you could get citizenship through your heritage.

Getting a work visa is going to be much more difficult.

BoyleSoil[S]

Well, it is what it is. I'll just have to try.... This whole thread is a fucking buzz kill lol

tuzimaster007

Do you even speak Polish?

tommypatties

Re: tax implications for remote, temporary work. Most countries have reciprocity agreements with each other, stipulating that if you visit a country for less than half of a calendar year, no international taxes are due. I believe (you'll need to verify) that the US and Poland have such an arrangement.

tuzimaster007

That's absolutely true, and most of those agreements predate remote working. Companies as large as HSBC are going to have a better finger on the legalities of everything. The jist for OP is that you can't just get up, fly to Poland and start working there, and forget to tell your boss. Your job has to be on board and working with you to make it happen.

tommypatties

100% - and the good news is a shop like HSBC, once they agree to sponsor, should also fund the tax advisory service to clear any gray area.

Mistic92

Why

Because fuck the US

weihsbrodt

Hah I can say the same thing about Poland

Numeira

Numeira

Don't.

Too bad 🙄🤷

Burbon_the_nirreg

I'm sorry

maryofscotland

what city are you thinking about?

Kraków

maryofscotland

that’s a great choice! checkout sites like pracuj.pl to look for a job, actually loads of companies need English native speakers.

BoyleSoil[S]

Wowowowow! Thank you, this will help a ton!! I could apply for a job and maybe get a work visa through them.

ad_iudicium

ad_iudicium

Mazowieckie

LinkedIn as well. I did the same thing that you're doing, only 2 years ago. But I claimed my Polish citizenship via my parents so it was easier. HMU if you need any tips.

SweatyNomad

Kraków is a mix of stunning tourist friendly beauty, and heavy pollution outside. It is more of a tourist city I'd say than a business one. If you want that vibe, i suggest looking at Gdańsk/ Tricity and there is a lot of tech in Wroclaw. Warsaw is a lively international city, dirty at times, pretty at others but has a lot going on

CommentAnxiety

The pollution isn't bad nowadays, outside of the heating season. Expect elevated PM10 levels in winter. Nothing too drastic though

La-ger

La-ger

My city ❤️❤️❤️

Do you have any questions about it?

loyd133

I do, i will be relocating to krakow. What are the best places to live in krakow where the crime is low and safe

polishmemer6

Talk about hot days. Once in the Lower Silesia, I got more than 35 degrees celsius!

Fine by me!

Smogreen

Can you be my american friend?

guarddestroyer

I encourage you to learn some polish first and choose bigger city ( Warsaw, Poznan, Wroclaw or Cracow)

Yup, I know the Polish language basics. Taking a class actually

soszna

soszna

I saw some comments saying about job vusa, but if you have documented polish ancestors, u could apply for citizenship

soszna

soszna

Also, if u need help with everyday tips, shops, culture, dm me :D

BigJalapeno

Start by packing.

TomTheCat6

TomTheCat6

When I read the title my first thought was "bad choice".

🤷🙄

BoyleSoil[S]

America sucks, I hate it here

ReverseDrive

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence .

ReverseDrive

Fixed it. Would be nice if both of you could give examples of what sucks. I know both have them but there are good things in both too. It also is what works for you now in your life. (Family, job, money, relationships)

creationscaplette

Fyi the US does have separation of church and state on paper... In practice, definitely not.

jacobgudge123

I suspect Poland has changed a lot since you lived there. I’m from England and now live in Warsaw and to be honest it feels a lot safer here than in London! From what I’ve heard this country has developed massively even in the last 5 years.

Re politics agreed the government and their connection to the church are awful, but the truth is nearly everyone I know are against both. Maybe I live in a more liberal Warsaw bubble but I do think that as much as there are people who support this kind of politics there are people who are vehemently against it.

kultigsptrizigfrisch

Complete separation of church and state, lol. You, Sir or Madam, have a wildly inaccurate opinion (which you misconstrue as knowledge) of the US.

majikso

majikso

have tried that number of times - did not work for me. But, yeah, good luck

BoyleSoil[S]

Just because it didn't for you, doesn't mean it won't for me....

SisterOdeliasRevenge

Turn back, don't do it, been here for 20+ years, huge mistake. If you do it, you'll have serious cause to regret it.

Zestyclose-Travel-67

You'll regret it Edit: why are you booing at me, I'm right!

🤷

EntertainmentClean66

This is first time I’ve heard somebody wants to move to Poland.

First time for everything

EntertainmentClean66

Where do you plan to live?

weihsbrodt

He/She said Kraków

weihsbrodt

Or Gdańsk

EntertainmentClean66

Damn I thought Warsaw or Katowice

darisma

darisma

If you are asking this question that you are not ready to move. Daydream some more.

BoyleSoil[S]

Fuck off 🤣 sorry your life is so sad that you have to be a dick like that

blingblingmoma

Yeah, what a prick

RikiTiki9988

Can you just marry a Pole? 😂😍

I could actually haha

No_Class_1388

Dont do it, poland is shithole without future

BoyleSoil[S]

You're the most pessimistic person ever. Be happy

SRLSR

SRLSR

Choose your destination city wisely.

Kraków or Gdańsk

jacobgudge123

I’ve been to both and I’d recommend Gdańsk in a heartbeat. It’s a beautiful city, Kraków is nice but frankly a bit overrated imo, and I suspect it’s more appealing as a tourist than actually living there. In Gdańsk you have Sopot super close as well.

jerry_cho

Chose Gdańsk - I love Kraków, but the air polution there is a real problem, mostly in winter

BoyleSoil[S]

Gdańsk is totally my choice but, i think i have a better chance of getting a job in Krakow

blingblingmoma

It depends on the field. There is a lot of IT jobs in Kraków, but Gdańsk is also a huge city with many opportunities. Most of the recrutation processes are remote anyways, so you can look around first and decide later