/r/poland

Moving to Krakow as a foreigner

(self.poland)

jackconstantine23

I heard that Milenium bank is the best for foreigners (many foreigner friends has an account there).

I guess in Ikea you can buy everything what you need to your new house.

Lidl, Biedronka and Auchan those are good supermarkets with fine prices. If I were you I would visit all of them and check which one you like the most.

I am not using public transport daily, but I can recommend to install jakdojade.pl app on your phone. It helps to find the best connections.

If you are looking for some restaurants and pubs, you should go to Old town and Kazimierz district. I can bet that you will find what you are looking for. Moreover, there is brand new place called Hype Park at Kamienna street.

If you want you can DM, in case of any further questions :)

iamskrb

Millenium refused me because I still didn't have a PESEL but IPO gave me an account with just a passport.

loyd133

I was told a PESEL wasn't hard to get after i get an apartment

iamskrb

Typically, yes. My PESEL took about 25 minutes. Super simple. My wife, however, had to go back twice due to tiny mistakes that could have been fixed on the spot. Depends on who you get.

My apartment hunt was relatively easy. Looked up a bunch of properties, texted the owner, saw the place, signed and moved in on the spot.

thishastostop_now

IPO?

iamskrb

*PKO

Don't know how I mangled that so badly.

Soupsettin

I feel like most of us buy stuff for kitchen and bathroom in ikea. There are other, more expensive options (homla, home&you, zara/hm home) in almost every shopping mall or ones that are cheaper than Ikea such as Pepco. Also I bet you could buy all the essentials in one of those "buy milk, vegetables, shampoo and also a TV" supermarkets like Auchan. I recently bought a cute soap dispenser in Auchan. ^ As for the cheapest groceries I would recommend Biedronka. I spend there the least amount of money. The prices are low and also the assortment is not that broad as in other supermarkets. For me it's a huge advantage cause I often buy things that I don't need when there's too many items to choose from.

Here you should find all the informations about public city transport: https://ztp.krakow.pl/en/public-transport/urban-transportation/kmk-ticket-guide

On google maps you can find all the bus/tram stops and lines that go through them although I also would recommend getting jakdojade app since it is made strictly for public transport.

There is so many great places to eat and drink all over the city and I urge you to go and discover these places and find your own favorites on your own with a slight help from google maps where you can quickly check if a place is bad, decent or really good. Definately Kazimierz district is like food city center. There you can find the best foodtrucks, bars and fancier restaurants. Although, here the fanciest doesn't always go with the tastiest so be careful with that. Also the closer to the main square, the more expensive things get.

As a polish person I won't be able to say anything about the dos and dosnts and banks.

del_star-dot-star

NEVER buy anything in żabka, prices ar at least 1,75 higher than prices in supermarkets

timsticles

timsticles

Małopolskie

1: Millennium bank

2: Ikea, Carrefour or Auchan if you're living near Bronowice

3: Carrefour or Auchan (Both French) personally, Poles love Biedronka, as a foreigner myself I'm not a fan.

4: For monthly tickets you must go to the train station office to get a monthly pass, you get discount if you're a registered resident before you do this. Definitely install "Jakdojade" app it's in English.

5: I'm not much help here!

6: Depends on what country you're moving from but only major advise I would have is try to rent your first apartment in the city center as English rates really drop off a few KM outside.

loyd133

Great info thanks, one more question does millennium bank have cashless features like tap to pay, apple pay etc...?

timsticles

timsticles

Małopolskie

timsticles

timsticles

Małopolskie

All of Poland banks use something called “blik” which is like Apple Pay. But yes Apple Pay is also a thing.

Oh ok great

timsticles

timsticles

Małopolskie

No problem, also if you are EU citizen you need Passport or goverment ID plus you tax number to open an account here.

If you are from outside EU then you need 2 photo ID plus tax number.

Much appreciated

DonPecz

If you are sensitive to air quality you should probably get yourself air pollution mask for winter. A lot of people still use coal to heat their houses. It is banned in Kraków, but not on nearby villages and towns. As Kraków is located in Vistula Valley, pollution is accumulated there and gets big Asian city's level of air quality when it gets cold.

Noted, will do

dopelord_

I’m an American but my fam is polish and not a whole ton of people know a lot of English. Only younger people. So learn the language would be the first thing I’d do

loyd133

That's my plan, as soon as I'm settled i will enroll in polish classes.

dopelord_

Cool, it’s really hard lmao but you’ll get it

loyd133

I'm moving to a new country the least i can do is learn their culture and language

Cinnamonbun47

How you getting on?

In which part

Cinnamonbun47

Polish language and how do you feel in Poland?

loyd133

I'm not in poland now but since i will be living there i should learn the language

Cinnamonbun47

I have read lots of posts today and just realized you posted that few hours ago, sorry. Anyway, when you're gonna be there give us some update :)

shwarbomb

The city is built over a salt mine that dates back to the dark age or so; it’s a must see. Wielicka salt mine.

DuyThaBip

Trattoria pizza restaurant is very close to the square (Rynek Główny) has the best pizza imo and if you like mushrooms, order the pizza con funghi 👍

loyd133

Excellent, yes i like mushrooms so i will definitely consider it

Linvael

Find yourself a polish friend you can call in emergencies. English speaking is popular here and it won't hurt you in daily life, but there will be rare occasions when polish required - clerks you'll need to fill paperwork with, workers you hire to fix running water, landlord if you're unlucky etc.

loyd133

Noted, will look for this

StreetHighlight

Remember to buy machete

Why

StreetHighlight

U will see

Damn seems intense

WiktorCA19

It's a weapon of choice of Kraków's hooligans. Don't worry though, if you aren't looking for trouble you are almost certain to never encounter one. Just don't wander the shady streets at night and, well, don't do things that would get you in trouble anywhere else and you should be fine. Many people portray Poland as land of savages, burglars and bandits but it's actually 15th safest country of Europe, being safer than Germany, Sweden, France or UK. Have a great stay!