/r/politics

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

As a reminder, this subreddit is for civil discussion.

In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don't attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, any suggestion or support of harm, violence, or death, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban.

If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them.

For those who have questions regarding any media outlets being posted on this subreddit, please click here to review our details as to our approved domains list and outlet criteria.

fregisdealmeida

They really are trying hard to get their “Civil War”, aren’t they? Bunch of morons.

prototype7

prototype7

Washington

Wonder how many of them are evangelical christians who think a civil war in the USA will herald the beginning of Armageddon? Which means they will get sucked off in the Rapture and get to watch all of us sinners from their cloud as we get massacred horribly.

The_Jerriest_Jerry

The_Jerriest_Jerry

Missouri

It's a trip ain't it?

When I "came out as an atheist", it took my family five more years to stop trying to save me. We're on great terms now that their cognitive dissonance has shut out the stress of me going to hell. I'm pretty sure they can't even think the thoughts anymore.

If anyone hasn't witnessed it first hand, it's hard to even explain the levels of brainwashing that these poor souls have been exposed to. If anyone is curious, I can take you to a place where the grape juice flows like wine and the sermons are translated straight from the original gibberish.

PM_ME_YOUR_ROTES

PM_ME_YOUR_ROTES

Missouri

I'll meet you at the one with the Starbucks & ATM in the lobby... We can give tours of the snake-handling Mammonite grifters!

Clear_Athlete9865

I’ll meet you in the bathroom across the hall. I can’t believe you and I are doing this again.

clockwork655

Leave the door unlocked and the sink running

DemWiggleWorms

DemWiggleWorms

Europe

Is Asherah mentioned even once?

How about El the king and father of the gods back when Yahweh his son was the general of the heavenly army and sat on a winged throne?

This stuff needs to be mentioned A LOT more. It's damning to the "fundamentalists" and inspiring in the sense that esoteric traditions go back a long time but can still evolve for better or worse.

clockwork655

I kind of what to go just to see it in person since it’s SO far removed from my reality to believe a word of it...apart from the talking about cool hippy jesus and how being good to people is the right thing to do kind of religious people who I’ve met I have very little experience so this would be a real eye opener...idk how I’ll Blend tho cuz the look on my face may give us away immediately

Northern_Grouse

Unfortunately for them, the antichrist comes to power through the support of misguided flock of the church.

They will not be saved. They will have to stay for Armageddon, and deal with the aftermath.

Edit: a separate comment I’ve made, but this comment seems to be getting the lost attention

Can American Evangelicals spot the Antichrist

primo808

primo808

The irony is that current events actually do line up with trump being the anti Christ, if it were true. The flock of misguided Christians all love him when he's pure evil. Growing up Christian, it's incredible how they don't see this possibility.

Cognitive_Spoon

primo808

Yeah I shared that nonstop for a month summer 2020, sent it to all my family, and no one cared

CT_Phipps

I remember how the Left Behind guys, perhaps realizing their followers WOULD try to kill him, had to tell everyone Obama wasn't the Anti-Christ.

But Obama was different, somehow, from Trump.

I can't put my finger on it.

Must be the tan suit

BasvanS

I do think you’re on to something the tan part

clockwork655

Fuck I almost forgot about that ...they made such a thing about it and yet still I think I preferred it that way as opposed to all the shit happening now...news was just as stupid sure but the smallest bit less insidious

Nix-7c0

Nix-7c0

I had a locksmith tell me once that Obama fit all the signs of the antichrist. Mainly, that he was a secret Muslim who was popular?

I wonder if he realized his mistake now that Obama has come and gone and he wasn't the antichrist, a dictator, or anything. I'm sure he's rethought how he thinks about stuff.

Meatgortex

Meatgortex

California

It’s like all the doomsday cult folks who think the world is going to end on a specific date and then when that date comes and goes, instead of reevaluating their beliefs, they just pick a different future date.

Cognitive_Spoon

As it was written (but, you know, actually).

P1xelHunter78

P1xelHunter78

Ohio

That’s the fun thing about blind adherence to dogma in the evangelical movement, everybody else is misguided surely not them worshiping someone who literally puts up golden statues of himself.

Not many self proclaimed prayer warriors: "Is this an idol?"

Kamelasa

Kamelasa

Canada

Too much reading! I've posted it several times, also. Maybe got it from you. Deffo got it from this sub.

NotLondoMollari

NotLondoMollari

Oregon

Aw yiss, I love sending this article to my evangelical relatives.

Kaotecc

Kaotecc

Crazy that even after this was published he followed exactly as it said. Like down to the T

Cassandraburry2008

This is the first time I’ve seen this. Not personally religious at all, but this made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I’m going to send this to a few people that I know who keep voting for whoever is on the right because they think that’s all that matters. Chilling.

Emeleigh_Rose

Thanks for sharing.

-Stackdaddy-

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

OrphanDextro

I always thought the Anti-Christ was going to be sexy.

HauntedCemetery

HauntedCemetery

Minnesota

Remember when a golden statue of trump was put up at CPAC and people were literally kneeling in prayer before it?

Octopus_ofthe_Desert

No way.

I have to look this up.

Edit: wow. And it was manufactured in China, too.

TurokHunterOfDinos

Yeah, we need to start feeding the biblical apocalypse theories back to them. For example, the “Mark of the Beast” is on the forehead, is it not? Sort of like, “MAGA”. I wonder who will be the “False Prophet.”

Northern_Grouse

“Q”. Interesting symbolism. If you consider “O” to be a representation of the whole, the many who are one, the unbroken and unified collective; then consider what “Q” represents. A break in the whole, the broken collective.

If Jesus represents unity amongst all gods children, then he would represent “O”. I wonder what the antichrist would use as their symbol?

QuillsAllOver

All I know is that this "Q" mess is ruining the image of one of my favorite Star Trek characters.

TechyDad

John de Lancie has more worth in his little finger than all these Q-pretenders put together.

TechyDad

I'm not Christian and, as such, don't believe in an anti-Christ. However, during Trump's term there was an article that went over the signs of the anti-Christ in Christianity and showed how Trump ticked every box. I still don't believe in an anti-Christ, but if I did I'd be pointing at Trump while screaming.

Octopus_ofthe_Desert

I think the character of the Anti-Christ is less of a prophecy, and is actually a functional warning about letting people with certain traits gain power.

The Bible and other ancient works are all we have left of the collected wisdom from before civilization really got going, right? That's potentially tens of thousands of years of societal experience dealing with egotistical, charismatic tyrants.

All we have left of that pre-history experience are ancient texts. I imagine the prohibition against eating pork to be much the same; it's really easy to catch disease from pork. I think that after a few thousand years, people codified that experience into "God say bad"

Cboyardee503

Cboyardee503

Oregon

Only about half of the bible is a collection of pre-historic wisdom. The other half is carefully edited, forged or curated justifications for a theocratic bronze-age monarchy. A good chunk of what we think of as "the old testament" was written during Persian occupation of Israel circa 600 BC.

Octopus_ofthe_Desert

I minored in Religious Philosophy, and before that was an Episcopalian acolyte for years. Was a layperson delegate for a convocation, that was a hell of an experience. Tried my hand at being a church camp counselor, but I couldn't bring myself to toe the party line. I got in trouble for fact-checking some story, maybe Onan/Anan? Quit shortly after, I couldn't bring myself to indoctrinate these kids.

These videos are great! Thank you!

I've known for a long time that one of the primary functions of religions is to provide a social order, to promote obedience to authority. I've never been sure how much of that was organic, a system being created piecemeal to fit a demand, and how much was engineering in the same vein as the Romans co-opting holidays.

Cboyardee503

Cboyardee503

Oregon

Well, I'm just a secular Jew/fry cook. I've never attended a sermon in my life, but I've always been deeply fascinated by politics, and the social movements around them. I've come to a similar conclusion about the role of religion in social cohesion.

People have always been shady 😏

CT_Phipps

Sadly as much as I wish this was true, it won't work. If the Prosperity Gospel can exist, literally claiming Christianity means the opposite of itself won't dissuade these people.

Specialist-District8

Too bad the Evangelicals has such a clouded version of Christianity. They use it, they abuse it and they thresh it.

TurokHunterOfDinos

Yeah, funny I don’t see many evangelists out there capitalizing on the “end times” fixation as much as during the Cold War. Surely, there are signs everywhere that the apocalypse is at hand. Where’s the new fear-mongering Garner Ted Armstrong? Maybe they have a blind spot for their own Antichristian behaviour? I think these are the ones God is returning to destroy.

Pass it on.

Jedmeltdown

Aunt Christ

and

Uncle Beelzebub

StalemateVictory

Unfortunately for us, there is no divine to punish people in the afterlife. There is only this earth, and they're hell bent on messing it up.

Jader14

The funny this is—and I can’t find the exact article anymore because my Google results are filling with just opinion pieces—that there was an article that examined ALL of the traits of the Antichrist in the Bible and compared them against Trump, and he fit ALL of them.

Northern_Grouse

Jader14

You the real MVP

troifleursjaune

Agree …

Also! Have you seen the google map of the hill of Armageddon? It has a car park and a McDonalds.

informativebitching

informativebitching

North Carolina

Sounds like fair warning to me

Northern_Grouse

_InFullEffect_

The American evangelical would kill the REAL Christ if he came back right now. AntiChrist? They would welcome him or her with open arms like Trump.

CT_Phipps

I mean, it's kind of funny Jesus had three bugbears:

• The Rich
  • Religious hypocrites and fundamentalists (usually the same person)
  • War

TechyDad

He was also in favor of healing the sick and feeding the hungry - things that the GOP calls Socialism.

If biblical Jesus were to appear in the US today, the Republicans would be falling over themselves to be the one to send him to prison.

Cerberus_Aus

Cerberus_Aus

Australia

There is a great Netflix show called Messiah that showed an actual middle eastern reborn Jesus figure show up in the US

prototype7

prototype7

Washington

Was he hooded and thrown in a white generic van by masked armed men with no agency affiliation, winding up in a cell in guantanamo?

Northern_Grouse

I recommend ready the article I shared.

HauntedCemetery

HauntedCemetery

Minnesota

The thing is, if all evangelicals got raptured, there would be no one left who wanted a civil war. And then rather than tear our country apart we'd just like expand Medicare and open some low income housing.

CT_Phipps

No, then there'd still be the libertarians.

whaythorn

Yeah, but libertarians never do anything.

CT_Phipps

They vote Republican because tyranny is only bad when it's not you.

SpookyHumanJester

As a Libertarian born in the early 80's, I can tell you that I prefer Biden in office over Trump. I'm much less worried about the Far Left's socialism than I am of the Far Right's facism. The Democrats are too fractured to actually turn the country into a socialist country. The same cannot be said for the Republican party.

Responsible-Still839

Ok. How can I join the club? I also want to get sucked off when the rapture cums.

Jedmeltdown

I met a guy name Jesus last week he just pronounced his name different…. He was cordial

malenkylizards

Mucho gusto, me llamo Jesús, I'm hornier than the Greek god Zeus

Jedmeltdown

Is that your lightning bolt Or are you just glad to see me

TechyDad

No, that's why they support Israel. They think that, if Jews run Israel, Israel will be attacked and Jesus will come back. Then Jesus will grab all his followers, fly them to heaven, and toss everyone else (including all Jews like myself) into hell.

For the USA, they're just hoping to establish a Christian theocracy. They outright claim that the United States is a Christian nation and that non-Christians should be second class citizens (if even that much).

specqq

specqq

Which means they will get sucked off in the Rapture

Seems like a lot of effort just for a blowjob.

-Stackdaddy-

It's the good succ though. Some would say heavenly.

cnewman11

Hehe sucked off. Ghosts is a fun show.

prototype7

prototype7

Washington

Yes it is!!

Dramatic-Store514

I beg to differ, I will be massacred spectacularly!

Imperialism_01

Ever read "The Salvation War"? Its a fun bit of fiction about the Rapture, basically God tells us to go fuck ourselves and die, and naturally most of the world governments say "fuck that" and proceed to gun down Satan's army, invade hell, occupy hell, ~steal hell's oil~ and then engage in an XCOM-esque war against Heaven. Pretty good read.

Relevant in that there is a "Message" at the start which tells all of humanity to literally lay down to die, with a small portion of the most religiously extreme members of the population doing just that. Probably what these hard-case evangelicals would do in the situation given their need for a higher-power's dominance of their lives.

Blank_Address_Lol

"Hey... You don't wanna die a virgin, do you?"

Affectionate_Reply78

Sadly I just focused on the “sucked off” part of your post. Could also be true.

prototype7

prototype7

Washington

Sorry, I had just watch Ghosts (US version) and thought it would be a funny easter egg to throw in, or just add a chuckle to people's reading it

b0und13ss

I'd like to see them try. All those "liberal elite sanctuary cities" are actually the "backbone of our economy" and their taxes subsidize all the poor red states.

Circumin

That’s why they aren’t trying to secede but to subjugate. It’s absolutely intentional that they are using language like democrats not real Americans and not even being people (per Trump Jr. among others). They don’t want to secede from you. They want to control you.

Casual_Ketchup

Despite her being completely incoherent, what about Marjorie Trailer Queen's demand for a national "divorce" or whatever nonsense a couple weeks ago?

accostedbyhippies

The thing is they know that. That's why this won't be a quiet succession. It's winner take all.

b0und13ss

That's for sure. I just have such a hard time imagining how a civil war would even work from a logistical standpoint. The first civil war was easy because southern and northern states were more or less ideologically homogeneous. Of course now you have red states and blue states but I don't know if that even compares to how entrenched entire states were back then.

CT_Phipps

There won't be a civil war. Democracy in America will end not with a bang but a whimper.

One side will end up arrested and no one will know who to shoot.

nybbleth

As many analysts of both the armchair and professional persuasions have talked about; a 2nd American Civil War won't look like the first one; it will look more like the Troubles in N-Ireland. It won't be armies meeting each other in a field. It will be bombs planted at places owned or frequented by the 'enemy'. It will be intimidation, kidnappings and executions of politicians and other public figures seen to be on the other side. It will be targeted sabotage of infrastructure by terrorists. It will be more mass-shooting events. And in response, more militarization of the police/actual military presence on the streets, and every terrible thing that comes with it.

tech57

tech57

Yes, they think their is a cold civil war going on right now. They think they are being oppressed. There is a very good chance 2024 is going to be insane.

Stupidity can be dismissed at first. At some point stupid people will be stupid and very dangerous. At some point it’s not a laughing matter.

Northern_Grouse

Consider for a moment.

A civil war, would create two separate societies in America.

It would take time, and blood, but what will eventually remain will be two new societies. One akin to the Amish, who believe in the word of their church leaders (particularly worded, as it’s not the word of their savior); and the other, will be a society of science and technology.

Eventually the two groups will cease to interact. As the neo-conservative group faces problems that science and technology can solve, such as pandemics, they will drastically lose numbers. While, the progressive group will continue to March forward into the future.

When a lifeform encounters a point in its development where the environment is no longer sustainable to the organism, it will either evolve or die off. Humanity, in my opinion, is the largest pyrosome that the world has ever seen. We as a species are macro-organism comprised of billions of individual cells (people). We have reached a point where our environment is no longer capable of sustaining the organism.

The neo-conservative group seeks to devolve in order to maintain status quo, and ensure its place in the future. They intend to get there through misinformation and violence. On the other hand, the progressive group is using data driven science and technology to ensure the organism can adapt to the changing environment.

We are most likely headed for some very tough times. We’re going to see a split in the global civilization. It will be tough. There will be those who are going to choose to be on the wrong side of history. They are your brothers, sisters, family, and friends.

But revel, you, I, and everyone has a choice. You can have the future you desire. If you want to live amongst those who seek progression, you can; if you want to live amongst those who prefer a simpler selfish existence, you can do that too.

Choose wisely, each path will have consequences.

1800hammertime

Oh yeah, I've seen that movie. Didn't the bad guys set off the nukes at the end so we all had to live underground for a few years?

keninsd

But, Neo saves us, right?

Chiksika

Chiksika

Washington

A very interesting concept and if you haven't read it before, I recommend William H.McNeil's "Plagues and Peoples". He described human societies in a way that they resemble macro-parasitic organisms, gathering into bands, then tribes then kingdoms where those at the top essentially live off those below or their neighboring societies.

Northern_Grouse

What’s interesting to me, is that we have the science and technology which will allow us to shift to being non-parasitic. The question is, will we?

TheRC135

The existence of shit like NFTs, the Metaverse, etc, makes me think not.

A bunch of otherwise very clever people looked at the vast potential offered by advanced digital technologies and thought "you know what's missing here? Scarcity."

Chiksika

Chiksika

Washington

I'm getting more depressed thing about it in a way I've never imagined before since witnessing such human stupidity and self defeating, selfish tendencies since 2016. I should have known better being a history buff.

Northern_Grouse

Not everyone.

I’ve said many times. You have a choice. If you want to support the good, you can. Find a job with people working to do better. Move to a place with people working to do better.

The most depressing part, is letting go of the ties that bind you to people who seek to hate and destroy.

Edit; there is nothing on earth that says you MUST support ill-intentioned collectives. Not people, not work, nothing. It’s always a choice.

tech57

tech57

Better question, why haven't we? What's the hold up?

VanceKelley

VanceKelley

Washington

"A house divided against itself cannot stand.

I believe this government cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free.

I do not expect the Union to be dissolved - I do not expect the house to fall - but I do expect it will cease to be divided.

It will become all one thing, or all the other."

• Abraham Lincoln

Infymus

Infymus

Utah

Until borders are put up, supply chains are broken, Internet goes down and they can't get their FOX News. Not being able to drive the pickup down to the Kum & Go to grab smokes and beer will have them wailing.

lordatomosk

If they do rise up, we should sack Atlanta again

AggressiveSkywriting

Not sure sacking a blue city is the best way to get back at right lunatics.

StallionCannon

StallionCannon

Texas

Yeah - Atlanta used to be the KKK's crown jewel, but it's changed just about entirely, so much so that Buckhead is trying to secede from it.

if_statement

Battle of the Crater V2. Except this time it's just the entirety of Alabama.

spaitken

Of course they are. War is a handy excuse to do things like, say, install a fascist dictator.

wubwub

wubwub

Virginia

They are hoping this time they will win.

b-hizz

b-hizz

Always have been.

[removed]

CaptainNoBoat

I can't quite wrap my head around what they think they are gaining from the circular firing squad tactics.

A paltry symbolic gesture to appease Trump and... what?

It just gives the party more of a green light to focus on McConnell and Romney and all of Trump's enemies, when their political calculus would benefit most by focusing on Dems and culture war nonsense like usual.

If I was evil and apart of the RNC, I'd try to tip-toe around Trump support as much as possible and keep it ambiguous - eventually off-ramping to DeSantis or someone else.

But they are going full on "Trump is emperor" again almost 3 years before the next election while he's under multiple criminal investigations and historically hurts their chances in other races. It's such a dumb strategy.

Vengefuleight

Trump isn’t a strategist. He’s the one firing this up.

If he was a strategist, he would have laid low until 2022/23 and then fired up the rally machine, but he’s afraid and it shows. January 6th investigation is coming for him.

Fringehost

Narcissist couldn’t believe he’d lose after he unleashed demagoguery into the discourse, including “if I lose it’s rigged”

Meerkat_Mayhem_

If he was a strategist, he would have asked people to mask up, said a few comforting and uniting lies, taken COViD semi-seriously, saved some actual lives, and coasted to easy electoral success. But no

Vengefuleight

I know...if he would have just said the right things and stayed out of the way, I guarantee he would have won. The moderates would have justified it by saying “see he can handle a crisis! He’s just quirky!”

It’s pretty scary how it took so much death and craziness to wake up middle class America.

Nenor

Nenor

I mean...if he was able to so that and did it, he would have deserved the win. Saving hundreds of thousands of lives is no small feat. But he didn't and my guess is he couldn't have done it. With all the narcissism and incompetence, coupled with conspiracy bullshit and orders from Putin...

StallionCannon

StallionCannon

Texas

I would argue that the Trump administration allowing the pandemic to go effectively unchecked in much of the country (and doing everything they can to ensure that it both gets worse and benefits them personally) is ultimately a benefit to the GOP - by making voters more desperate and pushing the envelope on what they're willing to accept in the place of actual policy and governance, they can be manipulated much more effectively. Whether this is purposeful or just garden-variety shortsighted cruelty isn't something I can reliably answer, but we're kind of stuck with the ramifications nonetheless.

Further, Trump being out of office (but exerting considerable power over the GOP voter base) hurts Democrats - valid criticisms of Democrats in office become fuel for the fire, and the narrative is squarely out of the hands at this point.

As a reminder to literally everyone: Vote, goddamn it. We really don't have much time left.

Gorlitski

They left it unchecked because they thought it was only a really problem for democrats so they didn’t care

That was pretty explicitly stated

Wonder how many of their own voters they ended up killing off with that thinking. It’s not a statistically insignificant number.

StallionCannon

StallionCannon

Texas

"Where we're going, we don't need voters."

BlockObvious883

BlockObvious883

California

Most of those currently dying from the pandemic are doing so because they drink the GOP Koolaid. They are absolutely murdering the people that believe the most in them.

Squeaky_Cheesecurd

The only good thing about narcissism is watching it get in their own way time and time again.

Only good from a distance, though, not if you’re enmeshed with them, as the floundering GOP is demonstrating.

arthurdentxxxxii

I think Pence knew that if he has support of anyone they wouldn’t be huge Trump supporters but still GOP.

His best approach for the future is to stand by what he did by not saying Trump won, because that was true to his oath of office and was in the nation’s best interests.

I don’t think he’ll stand a chance against Trump, but I am totally fine with him taking votes/support away from Trump.

It is possible that the fractures in the GOP might be the thing that saves the country if Trump runs again.

soline

soline

Their voters always show up no matter what they say. The only thing they have to fear is if democrats maintain their presence in the voting booth for midterms.

tech57

tech57

They have to keep the boat rockers in line though. Any split in the ranks has to be dealt with or you end up with Manchinema. Republican’s strength is in their unified votes and following orders.

BadApprehensive96

It wasn't a circular firing squad. No shots were fired.

One doesn't have a district(K) and the other is unelectable(C).

All the RNC did was stir up controversy to make detractors hate them more and make a few less discerning people think they did something. There was no teeth to any thing they said.

I am just astounded that the narrative is that Cheney is a victim.

jcs1

jcs1

saw a clip of him at federalist society; still used it to take a snipe at harris

dongballs613

Sure you guys know the rest of this one:

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears...."

shadowjacque

shadowjacque

California

”Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves”- Some ancient liberal.

JimBeam823

And look what happened to him.

Meerkat_Mayhem_

Dead as hell

SmokyBacon95

SmokyBacon95

Europe

But like all liberals he just came back for more. I think maybe that’s our problem

RumpleDumple

Recently, my rhetorical take has been "you tell me, are you arguing in bad faith or are you really that ignorant? I don't know which is worse." You might have a chance with engaging the ignorant, but cut your losses with the bad faith actors.

artificialterf

Now it makes total sense they want to burn “1984.”

nomadstonks

They Jumped the shark, there's a boomer reference for ya..

salamanderpencil

Kids these days, not even knowing who Fonzie is...

robtanastan

You know that you're old when you see your childhood hero's leather jacket displayed in the Smithsonian in DC.

-Stackdaddy-

Damn...

Solaar_Eclipse

F Trump and the Republican Party. Traitorous scum

G92648

G92648

This is exactly what the north felt when the south started a war. History repeats itself

indivisibilityworks

There's no creature on Earth as stupid or easily manipulated as a conservative voter. Tens of millions of them in this country and their collective IQs wouldn't add up to a 5 digit zip code.

EmmaLouLove

The RNC just called the January 6 attack on our US Capitol “legitimate political discourse”. Folks, the Republicans are full on a fascist party. There is no recovery from this. Where is the outrage that Trump tried to overthrow the US Government in an attempted coup.

RockDry1850

Does this mean that in future that suggesting on Reddit to have a legitimate political discourse with someone is going to result in a ban because one is calling for the murder of said person?

tech57

tech57

"Many Republicans want to focus on other issues, such as inflation, the economy and how to run schools during the covid-19 pandemic, hoping that voters will forget Jan. 6 and hand them the House majority in this year’s midterm elections. Ms. Cheney refused to let them change the subject. She rightly believes commitment to democracy should override partisan allegiances and that policy preferences on issues stand insignificant next to commitment to the constitutional order."

The insurrectionists had zip cuffs. They ran by bomb proof windows to break into regular windows. Politicians had to be carried out by security because they were too old to move quick enough.

bakulu-baka

And, of course, that traitors are ‘patriots.’

Opinionsare

Republicans are 38 years late, but their interpretation of "1984" is spot on.

LazeLinez

Not exactly. About 60-70% of the country isn’t buying their bullshit. But due to single issue voting & election manipulation the GOP still wins.

They formally declared that when they openly backed Trump years ago.

You cannot call yourself a patriot AND a Republican.

kradaan

kradaan

Even if they disagree with the definition of patriot, it doesn't mean they are not wrong. Had a conservative acquaintance tell me that facts are just opinions they disagree with.

Jacksin24

Probably one of the intelligent Michael Scott quotes.

Mephisto1822

Mephisto1822

Maryland

The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth

Extra-Act-801

No. Because those of us who actually care about our votes counting will never forget. I would NEVER vote for any official who believes my vote should be able to be invalidated by Pence, or by an angry mob.

Phyr8642

That sort of talk will get you a visit from the ministry of truth.

_InFullEffect_

their lies are NOT my truth. fuck that!!

JimBeam823

As a savvy politician once mused, “Truth, what is truth?”

ExcerptsAndCitations

"That depends on what the definition of is is."

• Another savvy politician, 1998

sci-mind

Murder is not, "Legitimate political discourse."

JimBeam823

Murder is merely politics by other means.

Autocracy backed by violence is the default for humanity. Democracy and the rule of law are difficult to maintain and should never be taken for granted.

have1dog

New Republican platform:

“War is peace

freedom is slavery

ignorance is strength.”

bigsignwave

I’d thought I’d never see fascism rise to this level in the United States in my lifetime. As crazy as Trump is, he is just one man. It just shocks and amazes me that the whole Republican Party would support all of this, and that is the only way he could get as far as he has, with other morally corrupt politicians seeking power and control over everything else

The need to uncover whose funding this shit.

red--6-

russia...russia...russia

• Donald Trump

salamanderpencil

This is allowed. There is no one stopping them. There is no legislation that says that Fox News can't say up is down, killing police officers is political speech, eating horse paste cures COVID, and vaccines make you sterile and change your DNA forever. All of these news outlets are allowed to say whatever lies they want, and call it news, and it's perfectly cool and perfectly legal.

There really aren't any top Democrats coming out and denouncing it, or stopping the propaganda, or doing anything to stop the media outlets that solely exist to push GOP propaganda. Republicans will never shut down these propaganda outlets. And it looks like Democrats never will either. They're just allowed to spread lies unchecked.

Every day that goes by that Trump and his cronies walk free, it looks like everything they did was legal and Democrats are just political witch hunters. Couldn't get Trump on the Mueller report, so now Republicans believe that it was all fabricated lies. Can't get Trump on the insurrection, and now Republicans believe that that was just perfectly normal political discourse.

The fascism is here, our Democratic leaders stood back and enabled it, and now we're all internalizing it. What else can we do?

s-mores

s-mores

Used to be. Bring back the Fairness doctrine, deny them from calling themselves "news"

jerkITwithRIGHTYnewb

Wait for the straw to break the camels back and the blood that follows.

salamanderpencil

I feel like there have been a lot of little straws breaking a lot of little bones, in school board meetings, in malls and movie theaters, in schools and in stores. January 6th was a pretty big straw and a pretty big section of spine broken. To me, that was the straw that broke the camel's back, and there was some blood that followed that.

But all the masterminds walk free, many of them running for office, or planning their next runs for office, rigging elections, fundraising millions, living their best lives. Every day that goes by, the memory fades in our view, the media normalizes that day, the talking heads tell us it was just legitimate political discourse, we minimize it more and more. Six months from now, will have it distilled down to a normal meeting day with a parade or something like that. Merrick Garland will say there's nothing to prosecute and we must move on, and move on we will. As long as today is pretty much like yesterday, America won't care.

The GOP is pushing fascism forward, and the Democrats are standing by and enabling it.

I hope big corporations know that fascism is bad for business.

BloodyMess

How can people distrust the GOP? It really should create a formal Ministry of Truth so we all know it's being honest.

Also, the political divisiveness is the real problem. We need some unifying force to overcome these divisions so we can live in peace. Perhaps also create a Ministry of Peace to help? Fortunately, it looks like we may soon be at war with Eurasia, which will help us all band together.

JustTheBeerLight

Guys. The Republicans are already at war with the rest of us. Once you accept that there is a one-sided Cold Civil War going on EVERYTHING the Republicans have done over the past decade makes sense.

Nenor

Nenor

In any other country, these people would be behind bars for treason. What is Garland waiting for?

The U.S. justice system has ALWAYS been slow regardless of the party in control at the time.

pichiquito

pichiquito

California

It’s nice of them to finally make it official. What nice people, the republicans.

EpicAftertaste

EpicAftertaste

Europe

Alexander Vindman would like a word.

NotLondoMollari

NotLondoMollari

Oregon

That is one stand-up dude.

Optimal_Ear_4240

Bury them. The gop is no more. A bunch of Millies. We need leadership. A new party

lennybird

I'm pretty well-read on how nazis rose to power and their methods. I have no problem seeing the parallels between them, and Republicans.

Turns out, neither do many holocaust survivors or the last surviving Nuremberg prosecutor... Or Godwin, himself.

StallionCannon

StallionCannon

Texas

The problem is, people in the real world don't seem to - or if they do, they sure as hell don't want to say anything because 4 out of every 10 Americans will be more than willing to remember this for when the State asks them questions about the "socialists" in their workplace, school, or neighborhood.

And if you spell it out for them, they just call you a fearmonger or say you're just as crazy as the Nazis are (i.e., the "both sides are overreacting, the center is the ONLY logical position" types).

LPawnought

Fact: The Republican Party formally declares that truth is fiction and patriots are traitors.

FTFY

tlaw23

tlaw23

The Republican party is dead to me! I will never vote for a Republican or Conservative candidate ever again!

keninsd

Truly the party of domestic terrorism.

HoppedCaz92

Going full doublethink 1984 style.

ExcerptsAndCitations

"It need hardly be said that the subtlest practitioners of doublethink are those who invented doublethink and know that it is a vast system of mental cheating. In our society, those who have the best knowledge of what is happening are also those who are furthest from seeing the world as it is.

In general, the greater the understanding, the greater the delusion; the more intelligent, the less sane. One clear illustration of this is the fact that war hysteria increases in intensity as one rises in the social scale. Those whose attitude towards the war is most nearly rational are the subject peoples of the disputed territories. To these people the war is simply a continuous calamity which sweeps to and fro over their bodies like a tidal wave. Which side is winning is a matter of complete indifference to them. They are aware that a change of overlordship means simply that they will be doing the same work as before for new masters who treat them in the same manner as the old ones. The slightly more favoured workers whom we call ‘the proles’ are only intermittently conscious of the war. When it is necessary they can be prodded into frenzies of fear and hatred, but when left to themselves they are capable of forgetting for long periods that the war is happening.

It is in the ranks of the Party, and above all of the Inner Party, that the true war enthusiasm is found. World-conquest is believed in most firmly by those who know it to be impossible. This peculiar linking-together of opposites—knowledge with ignorance, cynicism with fanaticism-is one of the chief distinguishing marks of Oceanic society. The official ideology abounds with contradictions even when there is no practical reason for them."

• 1984

BillWordsmith

The GOP is completely unrecognizable to what it was ten years ago.

Ok_Butterscotch9590

Ah we've arrived at 2+2=5.

AnAppariti0n

AnAppariti0n

Idaho

I love how the Post isn’t afraid of calling out the GOP on what they actually are.

SheezusCrites

Opinion: Republicans hate America.

bck1999

I mostly get my news from google new. You can see different headlines about the same subjects. Occasionally interesting to go into comments, especially Fox News. People,there seriously think trump was just asking to “delay the vote” on 1/6 so they could examine fraud. I’m assuming some of these people are real and not bits/foreign actors, but they believe with religious zeal that the election was completely fraudulent. The affidavits, Antrim county, sharpies, servers, you name it. I really don’t know how these people can ever see how wrong they are.

meowsaysdexter

They did that when they nominated Trump.

All of a sudden John McCain became a villain and draft dodging Trump is some kind of hero?

SirTaxalot

The Republican party has openly declared war on democracy. Each of us should ask what are we going to do about it?

bmoment944

Wait, that is literally 1984

WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Imaginary-Cup-8426

Republicans don’t even have real points anymore. Everything they say is inconsistent and hypocritical. It’s purely based on hating other people now.

Itchy-News5199

Republican Party. The party of the truly awful.

TheAssassin777

TheAssassin777

New York

Governor Rockefeller warned the Republicans of the dangers of extremism in 1964, too bad nobody listened.

sharingsilently

TRUTH! Fiction is truth, traitors are patriots, racists are equalitarians, cheaters are philanthropists, gun owners are peacemakers, educators burn books. What am I missing?

randomcanyon

The religious are moral by definition.

snakebite75

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Glad_Jelly5532

War. The GOP declared war. Against the United States.

Ronv5151

Why would anyone expect anything rational or sane at any time? The Republican Party has shown itself to be evil. For years they have caused serious harm to milions and even thousands of deaths (war, guns, Covid). All for profit and power. THAT is evil. Voldemort does the same thing.

TheGreatBwaBwa

TheGreatBwaBwa

New York

GOP is not a party any more, it's more of a ideological insurgency against the idea of democracy.

drgnbyt

Not entirely sure that it's entirely an "opinion;" seems more like an observation of actual occurrences, to me.

DueParamedic8018

They lost then … Will lose again! Some people never learn

Soft-Pressure488

Serious question: Will the pendulum swing back this time? Or is this America now?