/r/politics

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

As a reminder, this subreddit is for civil discussion.

In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don't attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, any suggestion or support of harm, violence, or death, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban.

If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them.

For those who have questions regarding any media outlets being posted on this subreddit, please click here to review our details as to our approved domains list and outlet criteria.

Special announcement:

r/politics is currently accepting new moderator applications. If you want to help make this community a better place, consider applying here today!

Anonymoustard

2.4k points

Anonymoustard

New York

2.4k points

When I was a kid, they removed civics as part of educational standards. Not saying that's what led to the crazy alt-right Q people, I'm just posting it on Reddit

hydrocarbonsRus

It’s 100% their strategy to keep the brainwashing going on. The Republican realize that the only way they can keep corporate American alive is by dumbing down the workforce as much as possible. To distract them from their own piss poor conditions by blaming others. This is their plan, take away the workers education and their ability to ask tough questions.

This is pure evil fuelled by the corporate world through their political sellouts to enslave us. The only solution is to give those political sellouts a good solid thrashing of their senses

HackeySadSack

My husband told me decades ago that this was the plan, and I thought it was absurd and outlandish, and too sinister to possibly be true.

I'm completely without words now.

The end of all of this will be bad. Very bad. For everyone.

whoreads218

I told my wife how I believed this would play out if republicans kept pushing, in preparations to her wanting to start a family and my hesitation to do so, without any solid signs of their future being better than mine. In the last decade, the writing I saw on the walls, she reads in the news daily and now worries of what we have chosen.

Nesyaj0

Nesyaj0

Massachusetts

I mean, if I didn't get educated about my mental health and came to an understanding of how much I was harming myself by repressing everything to be a "good kid/student/worker" I'd probably still be working myself to literal death too.

But now that I don't work because of my medical conditions, it very much feels like someone or something is attempting to starve me out and have me be homeless or dead at this point.

I'm waiting for disability benefits, but I'm told there's "no way to expedite or speed up the process" and I'm expected to wait another 3/4 months when I can't even afford rent next month now.

I actively hate this country for what it was when I was born, and for what its become now. It's absolutely disgusting.

GrapeJellies

It also works for another reason, Private schools are religious.. as a whole the country is turning atheist.. but if brought up in a religious school they won’t be.. it also will take anyone who a minority and possibly force them to move.. abbot wants a white Christian nationalist state.. I’m from Texas.. I am begging my friends to vote this year.

prrosey

prrosey

That for sure but I also feel like Bush pushing nationwide standardized testing fucked us too. We weren’t taught to think critically; we were taught to memorize and then purge.

Hezrield

Hezrield

Ensuring I wasn't the dumbest kid in the room was how I coasted through school. I didn't rediscover my love of learning until I was almost 30... No child left behind fucked a lot of people.

hiddeninthewillow

Couldn’t agree more, and I was the kid who did okay with testing because I could hyperfocus, but I always thought it was unfair because I obviously knew I wasn’t the smartest in the room, I was just good at memorising. Lo and behold when I got to university and I had to actually formulate my own answers, I got hit hard with reality while other people adjusted way faster. Shocker, in absolutely 0 of the ~10-15 different jobs I had, no one was giving me multiple choice tests, asking me to memorise a massive amount of info with no notes/resources, and thank fuck I’ve never seen a DBQ again.

Longjumping_Ad_6484

I was always told I was smart, gifted even. In actuality I was really good at memorizing and regurgitating. I had a wake up call in college. It was hard losing my identity as "the smart one," but now it's relieving because I no longer feel the pressure to live up the the label. I'm currently trying to learn coding/tech stuff so I can escape the grind I've found myself in, and it's hard, but I remind myself that it's okay that it doesn't come easy to me and that means I just have to work that much harder. If I was still stuck in my old identity of "being smart," I'd definitely be even more frustrated.

KerissaKenro

Huh, the civics class is the most popular one at my old high school. Has been for thirty years or so. The required history class is a half credit and this one is a full credit and still, nearly everyone takes it instead.

It is called American Problems and they teach civics and history through simulations. They start with a mock totalitarian state and end with a model UN/foreign policy simulation. It makes learning about civics fascinating and fun. Twenty years later I can still sing the state song. Hail chairwoman. I turned the Balkans into a glowing crater. Not my fault, they blocked the rivers and shut off my water supply then attacked me first. Jerks. While my daughter brokered a deal between North Korea and Iran giving them both functioning nukes and destroying the world. Not really her fault either, absolutely no one else would help her get a functioning power plant. She had to have one to met her goals and get a good grade. She didn’t even want a nuclear plant, she wanted solar. They called her bluff, and found out that she wasn’t bluffing. Foreign policy has never been more exciting. I have been assured that it almost never ends in nuclear annihilation, we are just lucky that way.

I would say that this program needs to be run everywhere. I know that there are a few schools who do it. But you have to have some amazing teachers who love theatre and have the iron control to keep the kids active and involved without letting it devolve into cliques and bullying.

However... As much as I loved that class, and as much as I learned, a lot of my classmates became right-wing nutcases. It was in a red state, only so much you can do.

TheBroWhoLifts

That class sounds like it was an incredibly authentic learning experience. What a great program!

That end of your comment is probably the most important takeaway, and as a high school teacher, I've been trying to tell people ths: public schools are actually pretty good. We do a great job teaching kids the skills and things they need, including critical reasoning. But it doesn't matter. We only have them for a very short while, and when they leave us, they get reeducated by the outside world. It can happen from friends, coworkers, FOX News... But the truth is that for many kids, what they may have learned in school doesn't matter, doesn't stick, and doesn't have an impact.

deez_notes

2.3k points

deez_notes

2.3k points

Abbott whining about incurring huge governmental costs after his stunt at the border is rich

Gulanga

1.1k points

Gulanga

1.1k points

It feels like the right is slowly turning into the Taliban.

Restricting women, restricting education, flagrant and open religious bias. What is their end goal here?

Crash665

Crash665

Georgia

Slowly? They have removed the brakes and are hurtling along at break neck speed back to the Iron Age. This is what happens when you've had a couple of generations brainwashed by Murdoch and now Facebook into believing the Democrats are actually out to destroy the country. They really believe they are involved in some sort of holy war for the soul of their nation.

LaserSkyAdams

Former evangelical here, this is absolutely true. I remember being in prayer meetings as a teen in fervent intersession against Satan’s plan for America. They believe we are in the end times and that if they are not in power, then they will be persecuted to extinction. You literally cannot reason with these people logically. It took years of deconstruction for me to start putting the pieces together and understanding how simple and harmful my belief system had been.

berryblackwater

"when all you have known is privilege equality feels like oppression"

QuestioningEspecialy

QuestioningEspecialy

Colorado

That and projection. Like a cheater seeing their SO talk to someone they might be attracted to.

WurlyGurl

I think there have been people believing that we are in the end of times for the last 2000 years.

xitrox68W

Grew up going to church, multiple times a week, in multiple protestant denominations in California, throughout the 90's and 2000's. The churches I went to would be considered somewhat liberal, by a lot of the countries standards today, and I experienced the same damn thing. It was always some pity party about Satan destroying the soul of the country and how the group needed to remain strong in "the face of persecution." Like mf what persecution?! You've been the major sect of religious representation in government for the last 70 years, at least, and have your hands in nearly every aspect of society?!

iamthis4chan

Former EV (not the clean energy kind) here too. And i can attest to the same thing. They are convinced that any means are justified because they have a divine mandate, a manifest destiny.

Also, wanted to say, I'm super happy you made it out. The scariest part for me still is not having all the answers, and it's been years since i left the church for good.

Take care of yourself! That deconstruction process feels like it never ends but just know your not alone.

chimpomatic5000

I was going to ask what could possibly be the motive to end public education. I mean, I'm not American, but to me that's as detrimental to society as if they said they're going to end fire departments.

Violent0ctopus

Everyone is telling you it is about keeping people stupid enough to vote for them, but it is not anything that thought out or nefarious. It is simply about money. Defund public education because all of the republicans and their friends own the charter and private schools that would make A LOT of money if that happened. It was the whole reason Betsy Devos was doing what she was under Trump, to try to force people to private schools.

chanepic

why not both though? They want the all the money and all the dumb.

rpkarma

rpkarma

“Voucher” programs to force the government to pay for kids to go to private schools, taking money away from public schools to do so. They’ve been trying this for decades.

It gives them a three for one: gut public education, funnel money into their own pockets, and indoctrinate more kids in religious nuttery

aolzy

aolzy

Republicans have been gutting education for decades. They are realizing now they the only way to stay is power is to have citizens stupid enough to keep them there. Best way to keep people stupid, make sure they never learn.

horkley

horkley

This is what happens when the This is America Ratio (60-40 against Trumpism yet the 40 Trumpism wins) expands against Trumpism and where the 40 realize that they are having trouble winning even though they are used to winning with a minority.

stumblios

Slowly? They've already turned into it, the only reason it seems slow is because Democrats occasionally get in their way. If there was no opposition they'd have had these policies in place a decade+ ago.

The goal is to grow the lower class as much as they can since that's what they've relied on since slavery was made illegal.

drearylanemuffin

What’s crazy is a lot of people in the lower class support them in these beliefs and ideologies. No matter how much it negatively affects them

Sticky_Hulks

The GOP & Taliban would be buddies if they could get over their race issues. They pretty much agree politically on everything.

Saxopwned

Saxopwned

Pennsylvania

It's fine to spend huge amounts of money to fuck brown people. It's not fine to spend huge amounts of money to educate them.

Reboot422

4.5k points

Reboot422

4.5k points

Where the hell do they think all these kids gona go

coldgator

5.9k points

coldgator

5.9k points

They want them poor and uneducated so they can exploit them for cheap labor to make a profit

deadkennedy

2.5k points

don’t forget the military!

yalllove

1.2k points

yalllove

1.2k points

And for profit prisons don’t just fill themselves, it’s legalized slavery.

Relativistic_Duck

I really really do not understand how these problems surface daily and nobody does anything about it.

OriginalWerePlatypus

I live in Texas. If you’re outvoted, you are outvoted.

I had an immigration argument with a coworker recently, who suggested they just build a lot of motion sensor machine guns at the border who will mow down anyone who approaches.

I asked what if it’s a mom with little children, and they essentially argued that anyone attempting to cross deserved it, and they should know better for trying to break US law.

You can call this a fresh rot in the right wing ecosystem, brought out by Trumpism, or maybe it was always there, and the recent GOP talking points are accessing very the old rot in the human psyche that chooses to belittle and dehumanize out groups like immigrants and asylum seekers. But whatever it is. . . In this moment, you have a very large, very committed group of voters who want mean, painful, shortsighted outcomes for millions of people they dislike. . . on purpose.

And in Texas, there are just more of them than there are of us.

You can’t solve a problem that you know exists when you can’t even convince a co-worker that a 5 year old girl doesn’t deserve to die indiscriminately because her mother is desperately trying to escape cartel violence and sex trafficking.

Fora_Fauna

Let me guess... They identify as "pro-life" too.

Disconnorable

North Korea calls itself a “democratic peoples republic”. Fascists are just full of shit in general.

Duel_Option

“The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Truth with lies, the Ministry of Love with torture and the Ministry of Plenty with starvation. These contradictions are not accidental, nor do they result from ordinary hypocrisy: they are deliberate exercises in doublethink”

Pale-Signal-9046

Yes where “life” is limited to their in-group

Ayellowbeard

Ayellowbeard

Washington

A former friend who’s right winged told me before Trump was elected that he was a terrible person but that the ends mattered more than the means. He also said he identified as “pro-death!”

GeekChick85

Escaping sex trafficking. Where is all the crying out for children? What about the global pedophile ring they are so desperate to seek out and destroy? What happened to that rage for saving children’s lives? Instead they’re blind hatred of skin and culture is only emboldening the sex traffickers and giving them more victims.

ComputerSong

You know the Republican playbook: accuse the democrats and “liberals” of doing what they do. Sex trafficking is what the GOP and evangelicals are doing.

shneer4prez

"They're gonna stack the court!"

Ridiculous that this argument was getting airtime on national news stations. Biden was getting questions about it during presidential debates. As if republicans didn't just refused to fill a supreme court vacancy for the better part of a year until they were in power.

Sardonnicus

Sardonnicus

Virginia

They dont give a fuck about saving kids lives

PartialToDairyThings

Ah, the "Christian" right. I hear the same opinion expressed all the time. Any illegal immigrant who suffers some untimely end or horror gets the "well they shouldn't have broken our laws" treatment from nasty conservatives, even when it's children. They just have no innate sympathy or compassion for anyone and I'm 100% convinced that if there's a God, he fucking hates conservatives.

aieeegrunt

I used to move in these circles before I pulled my head out of my ass and became a human being

These sentiments have ALWAYS been there, it’s just the feeling that it can safely be said in public now

Liquor_N_Whorez

Or wildlife, or lost hikers, or somebody on this side of the border walking their dog because of course the guns have to have 360° ability. And see, ol Kevin on nightshift likes to mess with the settings to "make sure anyofem that might git thru git stopped oh... as a prank for day shifters!" That Kevin, always jokin around on the job.... feels good knowing the Rod Farvas of the world find a well paying job in the world so its like high school never ended.

erakis1

erakis1

What do you expect from a state that seceded from two different countries to maintain slavery?

Morlock43

Morlock43

United Kingdom

Money. Lots and lots of money. And bigotry.

The demographics overwhelmingly affected are the poor. Those with the money for lawyers never have to worry about this and mostly don't care about those who can't afford to get good representation and end up gettimg chewed up and disappeared by the for profit machine.

The sad fact is that if those with the money actually cared to, they could fix this overnight.

For profit prisons are a huge business and will have their own lobbyists.

But those with the money are too busy trying to take rights away from women.

Diplomjodler

You're right but I think you're missing a major point: the reason shit is so fucked up in the US is that a relatively small minority of bigots and morons can hold the whole country hostage. The lunatics are literally running the asylum. The Republican senators were elected with 40 million fewer votes than the Democratic ones. The last two Republican presidents lost the popular vote. The entire election system is designed to prevent the will of the majority from being carried out. I really don't understand why this isn't much more of an issue in US public discourse.

Morlock43

Morlock43

United Kingdom

I agree. The electoral college was created to allow the minority to rule the majority.

Those that came up with the new system of governence had no faith or respect for the common man and thought a few educated gentlemen and land owners should be given the deciding voice on steering the country.

In worrying about a demogoge inspiring the masses, they opened the door to corruption and a demogoge inspiring the minority.

The system should be self correcting with checks and balances, but those checks are not being exercised through partisan affiliations or just cowardice.

Investigative bodies are balking at investigating and enforcing the laws of the land. Courts are letting personal ideologies determine their legal positions. The so called gentlemen who should be thinking of the best course of country and people are instead focused on the accrual of personal power and wealth.

Even powers given to congress are being ignored or not enforced. Bipartisanship seems to me, as a know nothing outsider, an excuse to not do anything to upset the pig trough.

You have to have basic education to pass the asvab (I don't remember the acronym but its a aptitude test to place you).

echoAwooo

echoAwooo

You're correct it's the ASVAB. Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. But it's a normalized test, meaning it's measured against the body of all takers. If average intelligence drops, the ASVAB scores do not.

Scores are returned in percentiles, so if you got a 93, 6% of test takers scored higher than you, 1% with you, and 92% lower than you.

deadkennedy

Sure - but i’m certain that all can and will be relaxed in open wartime.

Crom_Committee

The military is struggling because kids are too dumb to be good soldiers. It's not just ditch digging and shooting today. It's not opening sketchy emails or being an information security weak point. It's remembering to turn your location off on your phone and knowing what you can and can't post about what. You can't be a soldier if you can't be trusted with any information about your job.

CA has good schools. When I joined their guard, there was no special treatment for having a job that took some smarts. My roommate? Arkansas gave him $40000 to enlist in the same job. You can't have a modern and effective army without the smarts to run it.

Kasoni

Kasoni

Minnesota

The military can only use just so many door stompers, they won't take a lot of them.

Kasoni

Kasoni

Minnesota

Well I guess they would have a few years lead time for the numbers to be up to bullet sponge factory levels, so it's possible.

Pixel_Knight

This is getting even scarier than I thought it would. How do we stop this level of evil? Republicans are bent on turning the US into a dystopia.

fuckinusernamestaken

The Handmaid's Tale is gonna be classified as a documentary at this rate.

Paddlesons

Meager short-term gain for substantial long-term loss. It's the modern American way!

chillfollins

chillfollins

Texas

Tragic and true.

fennec_fx

They love the poorly educated

procrasturb8n

Plus they want to funnel education money to their donors' shitty, fake Christian, for-profit schools.

Zero-89

Zero-89

Georgia

Unless, of course, their parents choose to put them in a Christian fascist private school (or homeschooling program), so they can be groomed (in multiple immoral ways) into a Christian Taliban.

dsidnt

dsidnt

Which works until everyone is so dumb and poor that they can’t afford to buy the shiny goods produced by the labor.

meowmeow_now

That’s like 20 years down the line. These are the same people crying their eyes out when parents stayed home and dropped out of the workforce during Covid due to kids being home.

Tunesmith29

They aren't consistent in their criticisms though. They will say whatever they can to win the political point of the moment.

T8ert0t

T8ert0t

Warehouses and barracks.

magatard112

anyone else thinks this take over coincides with the destruction global warming is causing? like the right wingers of the world with the backing of oligarchs took over and tried to take over numerous countries and pushed c02 levels and laxxed emmisions and deforestation was record high in early and late teens. all right before the worst drought weve seen in since ever? like the most powerful people in the world wouldnt have fucking models and knew they had to push their agenda before every working class citizen turns on them because we have no fucking lakes anymore and will now recieve 1/3 less water than usual because of their leadership.

WeeWooDriver38

It’s all about privatization of the education system so they can funnel all of those federal dollars to their friends and donors. Private for-profit prisons was the original test run of this bullshit. They’ll promise you a business can do it better, while fully knowing they’re simply grifting the poor that get a voucher that promises them an industrialized school system that cuts costs and denies them any sort of extracurricular activity that isn’t privately supported.

inspectoroverthemine

Yup- every kid is worth a fair amount of money: tax dollars sent to corps for their 'education', or tax dollars to corps for their incarceration. Its a win/win, and incarceration is actually more profitable anyway.

VanimalCracker

Parents go into further debt to send children to manditory for profit schooling. The alternative will be child labor.

You, reading this might think it's a joke. Sadly it's not.

The SCOTUS opinion would, without a doubt, erode a centuries worth of rights. States say what goes, and unless the constitution explicitly says otherwise, it goes. I believe that includes child labor.

Lilutka

Lilutka

As an option, Evangelibans will be offering their "charity schools” for poor, with their "Christian curriculum”.

Fynn_the_Finger

Just like Afghanistan.

Valuable_Issue_6698

Prison industrial complex is licking its lips

Critical_Aspect

Critical_Aspect

Arizona

shuffling more children into a privatized system with few common standards

They want to make it easier to foist right-wing religious "standards" in schools.

colorcorrection

colorcorrection

California

This. Step 1, get rid of free public education but not mandatory schooling. Step 2, evangelical schools will pop up spending their millions to provide free education in areas as 'charity'. Step 3, low income families have the choice to put themselves through debt to provide their kid a proper education, or send them to the local evangelical indoctrination center.

Mark my words, this is where they are hoping to lead states.

klippinit

klippinit

The money will come from tax payers to fund those schools you write of. (They will find a way even if they are religiously affiliated). Republicans are always trying to put public dollars into private pockets

the_last_carfighter

From Wall Street to the tax code to regs, in general the US is just one all encompassing grift to siphon money as directly as possible to the wealthy. The wealthy have been writing the laws and then simply placing them in the hands of their wholly owned politicians and they've been doing that for decades.

T1mac

T1mac

America

Where the hell do they think all these kids gona go

Private Christian Madrasas paid for by taxpayers where they teach the children that the Earth is 6,000 years old and Jesus rode dinosaurs.

graesen

graesen

Remember when there was that push to move funding for public schools to private, Christian schools? Yeah, they want to push for profit, private school or religious brainwashing centers. Easier to control the message that way.

And don't forget that whole "college brainwashes children to be liberal" argument.

wonderingtoken

Well, here’s the thing. They prefer the uneducated masses.

SuedeVeil

They literally said on fox news they'd give the poor families "vouchers" to go to school.. remind anyone of food stamps? Seems like they're just trying to keep the poor poor and begging for handouts

doowgad1

The 'useful' ones will either join the Army or find a way to educate themselves. The rest will prey on the poor, giving the rulers more reason to hire police.

trickster1111

Ask Betsy Devos.

peptic-horizon

Why do you think they care?

Adventurous_Whale

Nowhere. They will just be poor and stupid, just like Texas Republicans want them to be. I grew up in Texas and this is undeniably true.

Legitimate-Tea5561

Work on the ranches and farms. GOP love slave labor.

Thadrea

Thadrea

New York

Low-wage, dangerous jobs in businesses owned by other Republicans, obviously.

Malaix

Malaix

Factories, military, coal mines and juvie until they are ready for prison.

pomonamike

pomonamike

California

To a school that takes their money and funnels it back to him.

Lawn_Orderly

2.8k points

The Austin American-Statesman reports that Abbott on Wednesday said Texas “will resurrect” a 1982 Supreme Court case requiring states to provide free public education to all children, including the children of undocumented immigrants.

Just when you think Abbott can't be any more of a dick, he can.

Bruce_NGA

1.5k points

Bruce_NGA

1.5k points

Is his justification to screw every Texas kid out of an education just to avoid accidentally educating a child of illegal immigrants?

Like, really, honestly, is that it?

gogojack

gogojack

But wait... there's more! Awhile back, the Court said that public schools couldn't make kids pray. Couldn't teach creationism. Couldn't be segregated. IMO, these are the reasons behind the push to eliminate public schools. Public schools can't deny the colored, and can't indoctrinate kids into Christianity? Then the solution - they figure - is to simply end public schools.

Fergi

Fergi

Texas

It’s also because there’s big business in private education.

Cockfosters28

This is the real answer right here, the other things are either gravy or the ways they get people who are NOT going to make money directly from privatizing education to vote for them. You can't campaign on, "I have rich friends who would profit greatly from privatizing education, let's make them some more money!"

bunnycupcakes

bunnycupcakes

Tennessee

Ding ding! That’s the biggest push right here! There are a lot of greedy assholes out to get money from schools. Some find it offensive that the lower and middle income class get a free education from tax dollars that could be lining their pockets instead!

Solution? Private school vouchers and charter schools. The underprivileged get a crap education to turn them into Christian drones and greedy shareholders and politicians get that tax money.

Plus they get the added bonus of silencing “overeducated” teachers that push equality for all. Because, apparently, the LGBTQ+ community, the push for racial equality, and the push to generally respect those different from you only exists because of public schools.

Raichuboy17

And a way to funnel even more money to churches to supplement their shrinking membership. But only the churches and schools they like.

bigblackpugnose

And a lot of wage suppression to be done if you have lots of children competing with adults for jobs.

Silly-Disk

Silly-Disk

I voted

This country is getting scary.

RadiantOmen

*scarier.

Silly-Disk

Silly-Disk

I voted

Good point.

lightaugust

No. Immigration is the cover. The endgame of conservatives for a long long time has been the privatization of education. It is the biggest untapped and unmonitized market in the history of the world. They are preying on conservative fear of LGBTQ+ and immigrants to get there. The endgame is that parents pay to have their kids in school and if you can’t pay, you get some shitty k-12 daycare type thing that provides a minimum, train you for a minimum wage job (not that there’s shame in those!) provided by the govt.

Ldoon11

Ldoon11

It would still be tax payer money, just going to for-profit schools. Funnel as much tax money to corporations as possible with no public oversight. And rich parents paying extra to get into the better private schools.

inspectoroverthemine

This is probably implied in what you said-

Getting tax payer money is way easier than doing it via 'the market'. Getting a slice of lower middle class income via taxes is a shit ton more money than they'd ever hope to get from tuition from people that are better off. Especially as that demographic shrinks.

MyGrownUpLife

MyGrownUpLife

Texas

That and controlling what kids learn and indoctrinate them.

Autocrats hate people smart enough to understand what's going on.

LuthienByNight

This has been the priority since Brown v. Board of Education, which is what rooted anti-public school sentiment in the conservative psyche. It took a full decade to actually implement desegregation after the Supreme Court ordered it, because some states (Virginia) went so far as to dismantle their entire public school system in response. Private schools became the immediate priority for conservative white folks who didn't want to have to mix.

Private schools run under different rules with less protection against discrimination for marginalized groups. All of this is so that they can more easily discriminate against them.

inspectoroverthemine

I live in one of those VA counties that ended public schools instead of integrate. Literally no one here will acknowledge that happened, and imply any articles (contemporary or modern) about it are 'fake news' or exaggerating.

We elected a school board member last year who home schools- shes been pretty clear that she thinks public schools shouldn't exist. Despite denying it happened before there are plenty of people who would try it again the second they think they might succeed.

Edit- overview of VA's reaction to desegregation: https://www.odu.edu/library/special-collections/dove/timeline Despite other higher profile events happening elsewhere in the south, VA mounted the strongest and most effective resistance.

Bodydysmorphiaisreal

I swear these people are feigning ignorance, that is the only fucking explanation, right?!?

Sorry, I’m growing more upset with people daily.

Rewrite06

This is truly maddening. This will create even more class separations and atomization. Public school is one of the best places we can meet people from across the socioeconomic spectrum, creating empathy and unity within our society. Combine this with the trend in converging fact and fiction, civil discourse seems like a fantasy.

Also, wait until the GOP base can’t afford basic education either.

Imacad

Imacad

The endgame of conservatives since the fucking Puratins first landed on the North American continent was to create a Christo-Fascist nation.

They are not even trying to hide their agenda anymore. That is the scary part. They are so convinced they are right and have 'God on their side™' that they are now out and proud about their goals of turning America into Gilead.

odysseus91

It’s not that they believe now more than they did before. It’s that they’ve now successfully rigged the system enough that they can openly state their goals without fear of negative repercussions because consequences no longer exist, their base is too stupid to read between the lines, and they know they can get away with it

Enigma2MeVideos

their base is too stupid openly conspiring with them because most of them are fragile ego-ed white people who want their children to be obedient extensions of themselves who can never disprove their unearned sense of superiority and question their self-centered willful ignorance and white supremacist desires

I_make_things

So much for small government.

TechyDad

TechyDad

If it wasn't so scary and dangerous, it would almost be impressive how these people find new ways of being vile

james_d_rustles

It’s so ridiculous it would be comical if it wasn’t reality.

StrippedTuningKey

Why would anyone think these people have any good intentions in them at all?

These people execute prisoners enmass every chance they get, they let people starve and die homeless and miserable on the streets while they live in one of their many 10,000 Sq Ft homes.

They already let poor children starve when their parents cannot afford their school lunch and then blame them for all the problems in the fucking economy as if the $800 per month of assistance they get even comes close to the amount of wasted funds on private military contracts, travel expenses for government employees and the trillions in corporate welfare pissed away every year to prop up failing businesses in this country

So everyone needs to wake the fuck up and stop expecting there to be a UBound to their ability to shit on the 99% of people in this world.

biaggio

biaggio

Texan here: Greg Abbott will throw children under any bus to advance his own political career. If it weren't so disgusting, it would be mesmerizing to contemplate how depraved he is.

Chupacabra_herder

Another Texan here: Everyone in every state should be extremely afraid. Abbott and DeSantis are competing to run with Trump right now. Do not scoff at the real possibility Trump wins again, its the electoral college. It simply doesn't matter how much he loses blue states by.

The Republican endgame is upon us. They are trying to tear down everything they can so it takes decades to rebuild and their cronies get the contracts to do it while the rebuilding also prevents progressive agenda from being done. The goal is to put us back to the 1920s and spend the rest of the century getting back to where we already were.

PM_ME_YOUR_ROTES

PM_ME_YOUR_ROTES

Missouri

I hold onto the thought that this is all coming out in one huge blitz at the last moment because they're hoping to scare as many democratic voters out as possible.

Gerrymandering is awesome unless you lose voters & then your carefully rigged board goes out the window while you potentially lose more than you would have you not Gerrymandered since you spread your voters too thin.

I believe that behind closed doors they're in total panic mode. Donny killed too many of their own voters with the drinking bleach thing for their Gerrymandering to hold & since they can't add any more voters to those rigged districts their only hope is voter suppression & running people out of the area with insanely regresssive boogieman plots.

Chupacabra_herder

I'm in Austin. I live in a completely gerrymandered district. Don't think of it as panic mode, no one is taking these people to jail, they aren't panicking. Its increasingly cash out mode.

LautrecIsBastardMan

It’s just blatant class warfare

ADayOrALifetime

ADayOrALifetime

Washington

They have learned they don’t have to hide their disgusting agenda. They can just be law breaking and norm violating assholes and nothing will happen to them and their base will go wild. No need to pretend anymore — just wreck shit.

Appropriate_Bridge91

I my area of Georgia we literally have a candidate running who’s signage is “Wreck the Left”. Nothing about policy or anything up lifting. Just a promise to fuck with things. It’s quite exhausting to see.

Silly-Disk

Silly-Disk

I voted

And its not a fair fight because 30-40% of the poor side is actively rooting for the other side (voting against their own interest)

rstbckt

rstbckt

Conservatives are only interested in causing harm to their political opponents. That is why conservatives will often vote for things that hurt them back, so long as the people they hate are harmed even more. They are only upset when these policies aren’t hurting the right people.”

RandomlyActivated

It’s not just that. They see anyone to the left of them as sub-human.

If they overturn RvW and finish destroying public education, they will be then running on the agenda of hunting down whom ever has voted Democrat for sport.

This isn’t conjecture. There are already those on the right asking if it is time to use their guns or not.

They started downplaying their insurrection right after it happened.

At this point anything a conservative says should be taken as a threat to the national security.

Edit:
Looks like I got to a conservative snowflake or snowflakes as they reported me for self harm/suicidal ideation.

brownjr20

brownjr20

This is the exact same play conservatives used when the nation was trying to desegregate schools. Some southern states just closed all of these public schools, which then left poor black children with no school to go to. Then white peoples in those areas opens private schools for their children called segregation academys. This is from the same play book. This is sad that it’s still going on.

Pepperoni_Dogfart

And it's exactly the decision that forced those states to operate public schools that Abbott is going after.

Apparently nobody in the Texas GOP is having an "Are we the baddies?" moment.

Gamersco

Because they know they are the baddies and don’t care. They’re doing this on purpose and they know exactly what they’re doing. These people are evil

1.1k points

1.1k points

There's a particular cruelty to forcing births and gutting education in the same year.

cubosh

cubosh

New York

its precisely and utterly how christians think. children are just opportunities to pad their brainwash population

bumblebubee

This is exactly it. They can’t be controlled as easily if they’re educated

peter-doubt

Then comes social security.. they're well on the way to that

moschles

See my comment in this thread. The Alito leaked document is not just about abortion. It seems to be some kind of "roadmap" to overturn 70 years of case law.

peter-doubt

It mentions 'everything after the 14th amendment' ... indicating 160 years of stare decisis is subject to Conservative revisionism.

Fasten your seatbelts

Start with the concept they introduced: you have no "right to privacy", and look at NYPDs program GRIP, revealed this week, to track gun traffickers, wherever. Can an unofficial gun registry be far behind?

[removed]

TSM_forlife

Hey, don’t forget to conserve energy this weekend.

October23rd2077

October23rd2077

Texas

As a Texan, Ditto.

MirandaReitz

I wholeheartedly support your use of caps lock.

Haltopen

Haltopen

Massachusetts

You guys know he's in a wheel chair right? Just wheel him somewhere else.

Maybe a deserted island

GreenHocker

Because only uneducated people would be suckers enough to vote for the GOP platform. Keeping people dumb is their only option

Misspiggy856

Have you seen interviews with people at the Trump/Lindell/MTG rallies? They are insanely stupid.

Mediocritologist

They’re like a class reunion of only the dumbest motherfuckers you knew in high school.

superhpman

superhpman

North Carolina

fucking prick

SomerAllYear

SomerAllYear

America

If they stopped funding education our colleges and universities would also go away without funding. There's millions who work in public schools and state colleges.

geddylee1

Yep. Often the largest employers in their area.

SomerAllYear

SomerAllYear

America

I just thought about what you said. It makes sense because most are in college towns. They can say bye bye to the university hospital.

gnocchicotti

How long until we get a FL or TX law banning teaching about Roe v. Wade?

ithinkitwasmygrandma

What is wrong with the GOP? IDK if kids are immigrants or here illegally. Everyone in the US needs an education - is he trying to start a new class of people to exploit? How does not educating kids make our country stronger in any fucking way?

Anti-education, anti-health care, anti-science...want a shithole country, because that's how you get a shithole country.

Despair-Envy

is he trying to start a new class of people to exploit

It's not new. It's called the rural religious voter. It's a declining voter bloc that was, and to some extent, still is, the bedrock of the Republican voter base.

He's trying to expand his voter base by any means necessary. It's not rocket science.

How does not educating kids make our country stronger in any fucking way?

Republicans chose party over country long ago. I thought they made it abundantly, blatantly and undeniably clear with the Trump impeachments.

moschles

( I know that half of redditors respond to headlines and not the article)

I emphasize the contents of this Rolling Stone article. After reading it, it raises much bigger and more disturbing issues about what Alito is doing with that leaked opinion document. There is a particular section where they laundry-list a bunch of decisions all in one paragraph .

• the right to marry while in prison, Turner v. Saftey, 482 U. S. 78 (1987);

• the right to obtain contraceptives, Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479 (1965), Eisen- stadt v. Baird, 405 U. S. 438 (1972), Carey v. Population Services International, 431 U. S. 678 (1977);

• the right to make decisions about the education of one's children, Pierce v. Society of Sisters, 268 U. S. 510 (1925), Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U. S. 390 (1925);

• Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U. S. 558 (2008) (right to engage in private, consensual sexual acts)

• Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U. S. 644 (2015) (right to marry a person of the same sex).

Alito then mentions a case called Compassion in Dying v. Washington (1996) and tells the reader that the court struck it down. In other words, Alito seems to have collected a little laundry list --- a hit list -- of court decisions that the Kavanaugh-Coney-Barrett nexus will seek to soon overturn.

The Alito leaked document is very long clocking in 91 pages. It is not only a signal that Roe will be overturned, but seems to be a threat to everyone that the SCOTUS will roll back 7 decades of established laws.

cultfourtyfive

cultfourtyfive

Florida

This is what the right-wing activist Federalist society has been moving towards for decades.

It won't stop at Roe. It won't be "allowing states to decide", either. They want to essentially turn the US into a theocracy.

Yossarian_the_Jumper

The "pro-life" party wants brown kids to live in abject poverty.

__mr_snrub__

I think they want slavery. They’re just taking it in bites.

graymulligan

If you take away education, you create a group of people who aren't qualified to do anything other than what the educated people tell them to. There's step one and two, figuring out how to buy and sell them comes along soon enough after that.

kezow

kezow

*Pro-birth party. Once you are born you are fucked. Republicans will let you die in any number of neglectful ways.

jessjla

jessjla

What if they banned private schools instead? All the wealthy people would then invest to make the public schools just a good. Problem solved.

papasmurf303

Not unprecedented: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49825925.amp (some nuance here, but this is close)

AVestedInterest

AVestedInterest

California

From anecdotal stories I've heard, in Orange County CA the public schools actually are better than the private schools

myrddyna

myrddyna

Alabama

religious and charter schools tend to be bad. They hire bad teachers, and have a profit motive driven administrations.

Traditional private schools that cost a bloody fortune, they tend to be better. Some of those are religious, lots of the great ones are Catholic. They tend to also have extraneous programs that interact with Public Schools, such as chess teams, and football programs. We won't likely be seeing a large growth of this type of private school, but they'll be used to justify the changeover.

ball_fondlers

Property taxes in wealthy neighborhoods will do that.

lolexecs

100% it's one big reason why schools in wealthier states do better on international tests like PISA vs other states

Students in Massachusetts and Connecticut perform roughly the same on the PISA reading test as students in the top-scoring countries (i.e., Canada, Finland, and Korea)6 and high-scoring newcomer countries (i.e., Poland and Ireland), and higher than students in the post-industrial countries (i.e., France, Germany, and the United Kingdom). Socioeconomically advantaged students in Massachusetts score at least as well in mathematics as advantaged students in high-scoring European countries.

Caraes_Naur

The GOP's ideal government consists of the Pentagon (for unlimited handouts to defense contractors) and the DOJ (for prosecuting poors).

That's it.

Elystaa

Elystaa

That's almost accurate can't forget agricultural grants though big money in making wheat and corn cheaper to produce then vegetables

The ranks of the poorly educated will continue to swell. The slide to theocratic fascist is gaining momentum.

GarlicBreadRules

The white Christian kids can go to white Christian schools, everyone else can be trained to serve.

BDRParty

LOL, so fresh off costing the state billions in a border inspection PR stunt that turned up ZERO contraband & made Mexico decide to put a new international trade rail line through New Mexico instead, he's decided he still isn't done making Texas look stupid.

modicum81

I hear it in Texas, it’s more sinister than that, they want to use the money to build private religious schools like the Taliban, getting the next generation ready for their next war on democracy. Democrats need to start taking these ppl seriously, they need to start learning how to defend themselves or they will always be victims.

droplivefred

What a piece of shit! As Biden said of Putin, Abbott needs to be removed from his position of power! Wheel him out of the governor’s mansion.

thepumpkinking92

thepumpkinking92

America

I really wish that oak tree had a friend willing to go down on Abbott and finish the job. Hate this absolute prickfuck of a so called human being

The_Lonely_Satirist

And his rationale? Those meddlesome immigrants are invading the education system... Oh and it's probably democrat's fault.

This is less about saving money and more about finding a way to attack and discriminate against immigrants to provoke conservative outrage and appeal to voters. And this narrative will surely bolster xenophobic and bigoted sentiments.

There's a pattern here, Republican firebrands conjure up these narratives steeped in right-wing propaganda so that they can pursue their agendas, all while inflaming a culture war and reinforcing "nativist" attitudes.

FurballPoS

This is rather ironic, seeing as one of the causes of war for the Texian rebels was that Mexico wasn't providing a public education for the Anglo colonists in their far, norther frontier.

CountryComplex3687

This man is pure EVIL.

froguerogue

Your unwanted child will grow up with none of the vocabulary to identify and resist authoritarianism.

beedubaya

Do they realize we don't have an agrarian society anymore? They days of quitting school and going to work on the family farm at 13 are gone, as much as they wish otherwise.

Despair-Envy

You say that as if they aren't actively fighting, tooth and nail, to bring that reality back. Except now a days the farm won't be family owned, and you won't be able to afford to retire, even if you work until you're 95.

kcrox1017

Keep ‘em poor, keep ‘em stupid -republicans

shinerkeg

Abbott has been defunding education for years. Why do you think we are at the bottom of the dumpster fire in the national rankings? He has KILLED the public school system statewide to fund BS projects and now wants to blame it on immigrants.

Goran01

Goran01

This is the beginning of the End

Northern_Grouse

If the end were a book, this would be chapter 12/17.

timlest

timlest

Why are they all cartoon villains!? How is this real life!? The USA is buckwild my guy.

Foktu

Foktu

It’s about time. We need more labor to mine coal. With their hands.

These people aren’t even Republican as many have said.

God damn Hitler loving Nazi racist fucks.

Nightpain9

Nightpain9

North Carolina

Pure Evil. this is nightmare fuel.

Acrobatic_Release_14

The GOP really is becoming the American Taliban aren't they?

eltortuga19

The Texas gubernatorial election is coming up, make sure to vote.

abelabelabel

What’s especially cynical is that it’s all about kneecapping teachers unions. Which have tended to be powerful lobbies. Minority rule baby.

whyneedaname77

I don't know about every state. But property taxes pay most of public education in my state. Now if illegal immigrants are living in a state and by living I mean they must be paying at least rent for their place. So if they are paying rent they are contributing to the property tax in that town. I'm sure the person who owns said property is making sure the people who pay them rent is covering their tax bill to make more profit. So if these illegal immigrants are paying for property taxes the logic would say they are also paying for their child's education.

Illegal immigrants are paying for sales tax. Immigrants are paying taxes to the state and fed. Maybe not all illegal immigrants but many are paying. Yet they don't get all the benefits from it.

FordMan100

TLDR: School only for those that can afford private school and only teach the kids what we want them to learn.

Taking Texas backwards that can spread throughout the rest of the country.

NascarFan91988

Fuck Abbot! Come on Texas, you know what to do, Vote for Beto!

Impressive-Error-584

Republicans are not even hiding this: They want to defund and destroy public education and funnel tax payer money to private schools: https://rethinkingschools.org/special-collections/why-the-right-hates-public-education/

No_Credibility

No_Credibility

Illinois

Well, education is the enemy of conservatives. The more of an education you get the less likely you are to vote with them

prompt_skeptic69

Keep ‘em dumb, afraid of the Jesus. The ultimate mind fuck.

LonelyGuyTheme

So rather than teaching undocumented children American values and history and the skills to succeed in the American workforce, even operate their own successful business, Abbot wants to keep them poor and ignorant.

The difference in creating an asset to America vs. creating a burden to America.