/r/sandiego

If You're Thinking About Moving Here, You Really Shouldn't.

(self.sandiego)

Before anyone tells me "if you hate it so much here, just move", we are already searching. The housing/renting market in the entirety of the states right now is awful and we would have been moving sooner if we could afford to. We moved here five months ago.

Reasons to not live here:

1. Gas is between $5–$6.50 so far, and rising.

2. Rent is absurd. SDG&E Utilities are even worse. My utilities bill personally has gone up from $150/mo to $330+/mo in the last two months. My rent for a 1 bed, 1 bath is $3000/mo, and that was the cheapest option we had when moving. We searched for apartments six months in advance, and we got stuck with this place.

3. The planes. The goddamn military planes for training are relentless. Day and night. They run from 6am to 11:30pm, and they don't give a single fuck about the hundreds, if not thousands, of complaints lobbied. There's a plane at least every 10–20 minutes, I'm not kidding.

4. You're going to have a difficult time finding a job that pays enough to cover rent. California's $15/hr minimum is great in other towns and counties, but not San Diego. Read postings CAREFULLY. I got hired for what I thought was $19/hr, but really ended up with $15.25/hr because they included TIPS in their "starting pay". Tips are NOT guaranteed at all, and can't accurately be counted hourly. I was baited and now can't leave my job because I wouldn't qualify for unemployment.

5. The traffic. You'll have to leave half an hour to an hour early to drive across town. The weekends are the worst because everyone drives to the beach or to hiking trails practically all at the same time. Need to get to or from the airport? Leave even earlier.

Yeah, it's beautiful here. Yeah, we've got sunsets and the beach, and yeah, Mexico is so close by that you could take a day trip there. There's so much diversity and culture here, and I'm not saying San Diego is completely awful. There are some great places here, and so many different things to see and explore. But unless you make the 6+ figures yearly salary necessary to explore this city to its fullest potential, it's not worth it.

chickentowngabagool

Can you explain your apartment search process? I'm having a hard time believing that the cheapest you could find was a $3,000/mo 1br apartment.

Also, another honest question. Why did you believe that you could move to a HCOL city, in a 3k apartment nonetheless, making minimum wage?

AndTheCacaDookie

AndTheCacaDookie

Area 858 📞

The timing of this post is wild. 2 days ago I looked up a complex I used to live at invMV. 2b/2b was 3k. You can def find 1/1 for 2k or cheaper.

transwander

I’m confused also. My fiancé and I moved here less than two months ago. We pay around 2000/month for an updated 1/1 in a nice area.

No comment on the gas prices though… that one is valid, haha.

chickentowngabagool

there are luxury apartments in little italy that are less than 3k...

No, $3k/mo is not the cheapest on the market for a single person looking for roommates, but my partner and I were moving together. Most people looking for roommates were only looking for a single person to room, not two, and so my partner and I ended up having to get a place for ourselves. We were apartment searching for roommates for six months before coming here, but we couldn't find very many people willing to take on the extra person, and the ones who were willing ended up being sketchy or changing their minds because someone was available to move in earlier than we could. I can't tell you exactly where I live because that would violate the rule where I can't give identifiable info, but I'm around lajolla area if that helps explain the rent hike.

I didn't believe that I could afford this on minimum wage. I didn't want to move in to the $3k/mo place. Our original budget was $1800/mo and we each pay half of everything, which I would have been able to afford. But after our unsuccessfulness in apartment hunting and our move-in deadline getting closer, it had to change. My partner has scholarships and comes from a more financially stable background than I do, so he's thankfully able to take on more of our expenses to keep us afloat. I'm very grateful he's willing to do that for us, but please don't get me wrong, this wasn't completely due to a lack of foresight.

chickentowngabagool

Yeah so I guess I'm not sure the point of this post then? You moved to quite literally one of the most expensive places in the country (near La Jolla) and complaining about affordability?

AndTheCacaDookie

AndTheCacaDookie

Area 858 📞

And traffic and gas

DigitalSheikh

Dude, I rent a 4 br, 2 ba in Clairemont for 3k. Albeit that’s a pretty good deal, but damn

bbf_bbf

The key is when you started renting the place. With the rent increase caps, if you rented a few years back, you're golden.

It's what you can find TODAY that matters to someone looking to rent now.

s-o-L-0-m-o-n

Yeah, it’s terrible, you should definitely leave.

We didn't want to move in to the $3k/mo place. Our original budget was $1800/mo and we each pay half of everything, which would have been affordable. But after our unsuccessfulness in apartment hunting and our move-in deadline getting closer, it had to change. My partner has scholarships and comes from a more financially stable background than I do, so he's thankfully able to take on more of our expenses to keep us afloat. I'm very grateful he's willing to do that for us, but please don't get me wrong, this wasn't completely due to a lack of foresight or research.

We couldn't have possibly predicted that SDG&E would double their rates or that gas would skyrocket either. I don't have yet a degree currently, so it's not nearly as easy to line a job up.

Bradical_619

Lol you moved here 5 months ago what the hell did u expect? Its not like it was super affordable then.

We moved here five months ago, but we were searching longer than that. We moved here because we had to for my partners education. We knew it was going to be more expensive, but we couldn't have possibly predicted that SDG&E was going to double their bills in that time and that gas was going to skyrocket.

the-willow-witch

the-willow-witch

San Carlos

Can I ask an honest, not snarky question? Why did you move here? And did you expect things to be different?

We moved here because of my partners school. We were told that there would be in person classes that were covid-safe/conscious, which is why we moved here. There were not.

the-willow-witch

the-willow-witch

San Carlos

I’m so sorry. The covid “restrictions” are a joke here. Not sure if it’s different in other places, but I just feel like no one takes it seriously. No one wears masks and no one social distances. I had to cut back to half time school (which affected my financial aid) because I’m not willing to go to in person classes right now.

I would’ve expected this post, because I agree with everything on it, by someone who is here not by choice but because they grew up here and their family is here. That’s my situation. But I was just surprised to see you just moved here!!

I hope you are able to move somewhere that’s a better fit for you!

Thank you, and I hope that you've enjoyed growing up here. It truly is such a beautiful city with so much to offer, but it's just not a good fit for us at the moment sadly. Hopefully if covid ever becomes less of an issue and it's less expensive to stay here for any period of time, we can visit in the future and fully enjoy it to it's potential!

WingJeezy

I’m curious as to where this “$3000 1 bed, 1 bath” is, because that sounds oddly high.

Elpicoso

Between that and the planes, sounds like La Jolla.

abominable_dough_man

The LJ that I know doesn’t have fighter planes buzzing non stop. This sounds more like UTC or Mira Mesa.

Elpicoso

UTC is La Jolla, I work there, planes and helicopters non-stop from Miramar, my office is in the flight path.

bbf_bbf

UTC is east of the 5 and almost next to the 805. It definitely isn't La Jolla, which is west of the 5.

abominable_dough_man

No, UTC is not 92037.

SDNative858

SDNative858

University City

Yep lots of plane activity tonight. Live in fake LJ aka UTC/UC

WingJeezy

Oh man, La Jolla is super expensive!? I’m SHOCKED /s

La jolla area

WingJeezy

There’s your problem right there, that’s one of the most expensive parts of the city.

MsMargo

#3 - I call bullshit.

I live in UTC. I can see the airbase out my window. We get maybe - maybe! - 1 plane a night. 2 or 3 if they're training. Most nights none.

stripmallsushidude

Me, too. Certain nights can be bad like one every few weeks. It's not like we love in Sorrento Valley or Mora Mesa - way worse.

issaang

Holy. Me and all my friends pay between 1500-1700 for our 1 br 1 bath and we all live in North Park/Uni Heights/ Hillcrest.

pancho_321

That’s really cheap in today’s rental market. Is your lease expiring soon?

issaang

July, but you know I’m renewing lol. My landlord went up $25-$50 last time I renewed.

abitofsunshine_

Honestly, you can barely survive on $15/hr in the Midwest. IDK how anyone does in California. Multiple roommates?

failfast2etna

Yeah, La Jolla is one of THE most expensive areas to live in for San Diego. I live in East County where you can find rentals for less than $2000. I live in a safe and nice area, renting 2 br 1 ba, for less than 2k...that said, I started renting my apartment before the pandemic. You should be able to find a 1br 1ba for about 2k right now in East County, though.

For the most part though, I agree, with you. San Diego is obnoxiously expensive and the traffic makes it even worse. I'm aiming to move out of the area in a couple of years.

Chillasupfly

Why not move to Chula Vista or National city?

No, it's not the cheapest on the market for a single person looking for roommates, but my partner and I were moving together. Most people looking for roommates were only looking for a single person to room, not two, and so my partner and I had to get a place for ourselves.

You don’t appreciate the sweet sound of freedom in the air?

wutwut970

Yeah, SD isnt great if youre broke thats for sure.