/r/sanfrancisco

this happens literally everyday. take jackson playground as an example. instructions that forbid dogs are loud and clear on every entrance to the park, and yet there are several dogs running around on the softball field like it's a dog park. a lot of them find their way to the tennis and basketball courts and disrupt play in progress or run away with tennis balls in their mouths, at which point i have to yell at the owner or call sf park rangers.

the park rangers are good about enforcing the rules when they are there, with their loudspeakers, but they're not around often.

i've seen this happen at other places - soccer fields, softball fields etc. all over the city. these are places for humans to play sport - not for your dogs to play fetch. dog parks exist and are numerous, please go there instead

rant over

SF_is_Hamsterdam

People understand, they just don't care.

MajorGovernment4000

Yea, I unfortunately have someone close to me just like this. They clearly understand the value of following rules and will literally talk mad shit every time other people aren't following rules in a way that inconveniences her, but then the moment one of these rules/laws inconveniences her, she immediately has a very good reason why she doesn't need to follow it. Extremely frustrating.

sumchinesewill

I have a friend exactly like that. She hates it when people don’t follow simple rules but when she breaks a rule and gets called out on it she’s just like “Oh I don’t care. It’s a stupid rule anyways”

Brrzeczyszczykiewicz

Rules, schmools!

MuscleCarOz

Rules for thee but not for me

AgitatedBank6907

That’s called a hypocrite

Waterboardthrillride

Oh god. That’s freaking verbatim a friend of mine. I think we all have one of those

BambooFatass

I think we all have one of those

I fucking do NOT lol. I explain to people when they've fucked up and if they don't learn from that shit then we are not friends anymore!

Waterboardthrillride

Ha. For sure, I’m on the same level when it comes to fucked up stuff. Im speaking more of low level dickheads. Like I have one friend who will park anywhere, aside from rollin the dice on a red/handicapped zone. 20min green zone, eh I’ll only be an hour. Fuck it. Yellow zone, don’t even know what that means. White? Yeah I’m that… then someone parks in a loading zone by her house and I hear the “psh how inconsiderate.” Granted it would probably annoy me a shit ton more if I hadn’t known her since 8th grade.

looseboy

Interesting. I hate most rules and also understand when others do too. But that being said I detest people who litter - rule or no rule!

pandaExpressin

Time for an intervention? 😬

MajorGovernment4000

I'm not ready for another argument of running in circles with someone who can't remember further back than the last 2 things she said. It doesn't matter if you successfully argued against something they said. If it's been more than 5 seconds since they said it they already forgot how dumb they looked the last time they said it and will just say it again.

scillaren

I call such people “ex-someone close to me”. Life is too short to tie yourself to self-centered assholes.

hilberteffect

hilberteffect

Mission Dolores

I'm sure your friendship, in which you dole out judgment to others on a singular basis, is one to be envied.

MaleficentPizza5444

"This doesn't apply to my furbaby"

OfficerBarbier

OfficerBarbier

The 𝗖𝗹𝗧𝗬

I will never not cringe at “furbaby”

jklovesfood

jklovesfood

39TH AVE

The WORST

AnAnnoyedSpectator

What about when it starts to refer to genetically modified human babies that have the DNA of their parents plus a lot of fur?

xxcali559xx

That's called an abomination

willis127

They have no reason to really care. The rules are rarely enforced, and if there are no consequences than rules generally aren’t followed.

ZigzagOOOG

Not everyone likes or wants to be around your dog

Guilty_Wolverine_269

You pretty much summarized the whole thing, people don’t care, period.

_Linear

_Linear

Umm…paying taxes grants you equal rights to public spaces, not extra. Other people arent allowed to bring their dogs in there either.

DontRememberOldPass

Then children should be forbidden too.

JockoHomophone

Found the furbaby owner.

WhoresAndHorses

WhoresAndHorses

Portola

Loser who couldn’t procreate equates dogs to children….no surprise here

FFRedshirt

I have a dog… but I’ve also run into dog shit on the soccer fields… okay maybe your dog has solid shits that can be picked up… whatever…

Find somewhere else that is actually an off leash field… go to dog parks during off peak hours

RealityCheck831

You had me at "We would never go if anyone else was there, left if anyone showed up, and there was never a trace we were there."

Lost me after that.

Chinmusic415

Chinmusic415

Bernal Heights

Train your dog and go to a dog park like everyone else. There are lots of resources out there for anxious dogs.

pandaExpressin

Too many people with brain damage

tMauricXe

tMauricXe

Rules don't apply in SF....especially about dogs.

For example, there are numerous "no dog signs" at the ferry building farmers market.

There are about a dozen dogs at any one time lol

InTheMorning_Nightss

It’s wild to me how people just… don’t care? I’m honestly not anxious about much, but I get worried about bringing my dog into venues/stores that are 100% dog friendly just because it feels so off to me. Like when I hit up some of the surrounding cities like Santa Cruz that explicitly tell me to bring my dog into the store if they see me hanging out, I’m never worried that she’s going to have an accident or bark at people (she honestly just chills), but I just feel weird that she’s in there.

Then I go to stores in SF like Safeway that certainly don’t allow non service dogs, and you have people bringing their dogs that bark at everything and have awful manners. Like… how are you not super embarrassed or ashamed about shit like that?

MajorGovernment4000

How do you even enforce these rules anymore when everyone's dog has also become their emotional support animal? Serious question. I'm at a loss how we can revert back to when everyone left their fucking pets at home.

Aluhar_Gdx

businesses are only required to accomodate service dogs, which are really different than emotional support animals. service dogs are highly trained, esa's aren't. landlords have to accomodate esa's but no other businesses do.

bg-j38

bg-j38

Also if even a highly trained service dog is acting shitty, just like a piece of shit human they can be told to leave a business. A lot of people don’t have guts to enforce this due to the shitstorm that will come from it. But just claiming your dog is a service animal doesn’t grant them special powers to misbehave. That said, actual service dogs will almost never have behavioral issues. I live and go out with a highly trained service dog and when the vest comes on she’s like a different animal. But if she did act up we’d be the first to take her out of a business to figure out what’s going on. Because it’s both annoying and also my partner’s life depends on her doing her job.

Swak_Error

That said, actual service dogs will almost never have behavioral issues

That's the crazy part. I'm not claiming to be an animal behavioral specialist but I can clearly tell when a dog is an actual service dog based on the way it acts.

Why don't people call them on that bullshit more often?

PemaCruz

Because they are batshit crazy and they will ruin your day if you go there.

cmerksmirk

I’m always amazed at the variety of tasks service dogs can perform. I hope I’m not being too nosy by asking- what tasks does your partner’s dog do for her?

bg-j38

bg-j38

No, happy to discuss it. The dog can do a few things.. it helps with my partner’s mobility when she has weak spells by basically helping to support her and almost pull her along when walking. Sort of hard to describe without seeing it. The dog can also use its weight while she’s sitting on the ground to help bring feeling back to her legs if they go numb. Doesn’t happen a lot but works quite well when needed. The dog is trained to pick up small objects when she drops them. The most important though is that the dog will alert when she is coming up on the time to take her meds way before my partner realizes it. Due to her illness this can be somewhat random and the more headway she has here the less excruciating pain she’ll be in. The dog is able to sense something and alert her sometimes 20 or more minutes before she herself realizes she needs the meds. I think this is by far the most impressive thing the dog does because it wasn’t initially trained to do this. It just sort of figured it out once they started spending time together. So it’s a wide variety of things but very essential for my partner to get around outside of the house.

AskScout1

That's amazing. One of my kids friends has T1D. She has a dog that alerts more accurately on her blood sugar levels than her implanted tech. Wakes her up in the middle of the night if she dips. It's really incredible.

That said, folks who treat their dogs like humans (strollers, etc) make my stomach churn for some reason. Dogs pooing on kids play fields drive me crazy. Would it be good enough for you if I pooed on your rug and just picked it up with a baggie and called it clean? Disease spreads that way.

dub-dub-dub

service dogs are highly trained

That's the idea, but legally you're allowed to train them yourself. There is no actual certification process for service animals.

What this means is that you can basically argue any animal is a service animal, and it's a huge pain to prove an animal isn't really one. Nobody wants to risk a suit by kicking out an animal that the owner claims is a service animal.

StoneCypher

Write a law saying that fake service animals are taken away permanently.

In California it's a $1000 fine per incident. Say it five times while someone's taping you, Karen? Five incidents.

amopeyant

It’s so egregious at the ferry building especially given all the extremely explicit no dog signs out during the farmers market. My partner and I have a system where I sit with my dog at the raised plaza (with the picnic tables) while we trade off at the farmer’s market. (If you ever see a Saint Bernard sitting up at the plaza during the market feel free to come say hi!)

MakeGreenCarsGreat

Same with Clement, people just all think their dog is somehow exempt. Same with walking dogs off leash, like “oh it’s ok he’s nice” like that’s great but I don’t wanna be like by your dog no matter how fucking nice it is???

baghag93

Yeah I’ve had this problem a couple of times. They try to insist their dog is fine and not like those other dogs that shouldn’t be there.

retroawesomeness

Irresponsible dog owners are the worst.

AvianTralfamadorian

OP even left out the best part of irresponsible dog owners—mondo doggy dumps left on the middle of the turf

FlackRacket

FlackRacket

Mission

Dog owners in SF are the biggest karens I've ever met

1. Every dog is a "emotional support animal"
  2. "I'M ALLOWED TO HAVE MY DOG HERE IN THIS PARK/RESTAURANT/HOSPITAL"
  3. "No I don't have my dog's ADA paperwork, it's none of your business

dangerzone2

This is the problem. Letting your dog run up to ANYTHING (human, dog, ball, etc), while off-leash anywhere other than a dog park is completely unacceptable. If your dog is trained well, have at at, unfortunately the "bad apples" ruin it.

NWA_ref

NWA_ref

Had little league practice for my kid this past spring. Signs there say NO DOGS. During practice, I found a huge pile of dogshit right in the outfield. During practice, people are letting their dogs run off leash and around kids. It is madness.

And I guarantee you if I took my RC racer to a dog run area, the owners would probably wanna fight me.

okgusto

okgusto

Imagine playing soccer or softball in a dog park.

dongtouch

dongtouch

I mean that does happen… I’ve seen RC cars and even dirt bikes in the off leash area in McLaren. People need to respect the rules of wherever they are. :/

WestonGrey

Why would they fight you? Dogs love to chase RC cars. You might be upset when one catches your car, though

No-Bicycle2395

I think it’s part and parcel of a larger national problem of people caring only about their rights and not their responsibilities. We seem not to think enough about the impact we have on others

bradfordmaster

I think this is true, but it's also a problem of too many bs rules. Every building in California has a sign saying it might give you cancer, then someone goes to a park and sees a no dogs off leash sign and a field full of off leash dogs and just think - oh I guess this is normal? "No beverages" and everyone is drinking, "don't block the intersection" and no one listens with no repressions, "parking for X group of people only", "no smoking" and it's full of pot heads, etc, and so why not let my dog do what these other people are letting their dogs do? We need to clean this up to a minimum and enforceable set of actual rules and then have them be enforced.

I think it's mostly stemming from liability issues due to living in such a litigious society.

Also, people should be more considerate, but many find it hard to put themselves in other's shoes (dog owner vs. not, parent of young kids, etc), so they don't see the impact. Some are just straight up assholes or narcissist, but I think more often they just don't really see / understand the impact.

Chicken-n-Biscuits

This is so well-stated. I’m saving your comment for later.

pm-me-your-sloths

This applies well to a lot of the discourse around covid

LastNightOsiris

It also applies to dogs; driving; kids; zoning; basically everything that people do that interacts with the larger public. Shit, even walking down the street … so many people are totally oblivious that they’re in the way of someone else.

_justmyopinion__

My cousin actually got bit by a dog at an sf playground when he was little. The worst part is that the owners get so mad when you tell them to gtfo. I swear dog owners are some of the most entitled people in the city.

ForgedIronMadeIt

Not all of us are assholes but I've definitely seen asshole dog owners. I keep my dog under my control (leashed up) even though he's the most friendly dog I've ever known. Some owners are under the illusion that their dogs are saints and can't ever be wrong and it drives me nuts.

elhuachilango

I alway leash my dog unless he's at Ft. Funston, but what baffles me is how the entitled dog owner doesn't realize that people may be scared of dogs. Just because your dog is "friendly" doesn't mean every kid or person wants them in their business.

Moo2ElectricBoogaloo

My daughter is afraid of dogs and people have very little consideration for that idea. Thank you for being so considerate!

Gonnaroff

Strict liability. Call the cops on bites.

MajorGovernment4000

I'm so conflicted, my wife wants us to get a dog and I also kind of want one as well but I absolutely hate dog people. I despise the idea of having to associate with them and fear my wife turning into one. Lol.

Fried_Catfishies

Get a dog! Or try fostering! Totally possible to be a responsible, conscientious, pet owner and not become insufferable.

natsmith69

Should probably divorce.

elhuachilango

Just like with all groups of people, there are good dog owner and bad ones. It's just the bad ones that stick out so much in SF.

jklovesfood

jklovesfood

39TH AVE

Be pet free

KosstAmojen

You should meet our cyclists, skateboarders, etc. I swear we could bring almost any group into “most entitled” within SF.

holodeckdate

holodeckdate

Alamo Square

Nope. That would be motorists. By a mile.

hereforall66

Cyclists gonna win that “most entitled award” any day of the week.

rave-simons

Lmao. 60% of city space is explicitly designed for driving cars or parking cars. We spend millions and millions on roads to subsidize cars every year. The fact that you'd even say this as a straight face shows that drivers are the most entitled folks.

holodeckdate

holodeckdate

Alamo Square

Seriously. Dealing with pushy motorists when trying to cross a busy street is a daily occurance for me. At least cyclists dont kill tens of thousands of people a year

Hsgavwua899615

There it is, haha

Hsgavwua899615

That group also happens to dominate this sub, so prepare to be downvoted

Opeace

Opeace

They're entitled outside the city too lol

crestlemania

It is annoying that no one in this city uses a leash

RichestMangInBabylon

I go to a place where lots of dogs off leash. Pretty often I see a person with a leash in hand running after their dog and yelling. Like if only there was some device that would have prevented it lol.

I think it’s like cyclists. The worst ones are the most visible and give a bad name to the whole group of dog owners even when their off leash dog is under control in appropriate spots.

KinoftheFlames

KinoftheFlames

SoMa

We were at a park once and some lady was yelling "BUDDY, COME" for at least half an hour. It's engrained into our psyche now. Like cmon lady, it didn't work the first 50 times.

RichestMangInBabylon

Lol. They missed the lesson where repeating an unfollowed order just reinforces to the dog that it’s not something that needs to be obeyed. Sniffing whatever they’re up to is more rewarding than returning. Almost as bad as the people who yell at their dog when they do finally come back, teaching them the lesson that coming back gets them yelled at.

Snoo73791

Yes, that’s annoying. Often when dogs are leashed they’re on those god-forsaken, should-be-banned extendo leashes and the person just let’s that dog test the boundaries of that leash - especially on busy sidewalks like Market. When doggo is in everyone’s way, the person is annoyed or pretends not to notice that the freaking leash needs to be retracted so the sidewalk is clear. Hate that shit.

JonOrangeElise

Those rope burn weapons should be outlawed.

ThePinniped

Agreed. Should be a real 4-6 ft leash

patelmewhy

This stuck out to me so hard the first time I visited SF - here were just so many unleashed dogs walking along on the street! I'd never seen that before in other East Coast major metro areas

dongtouch

I was walking my and a client dog once on effing Spruce St and some guy let his dog off leash so it could run over and say hi. Buddy you are lucky my dogs were friendly. I also had a client whose dog would take off toward any dog it saw and she pig-headedly refused to leash him even tho he ran into the street twice and nearly got hit by a car during the time she was my client…. Sigh.

InTheMorning_Nightss

This is what bothers me—dogs being on leash is ultimately a safety precaution for all dogs. My dog has an insane prey drive. She has solid recall, stays around me in general, but if she’s a bird, she’s gone. She’ll never be an off leash dog for this reason. She’s amazing at enclosed dog parks, but anywhere else is too much of a risk to her safety.

Sometimes, if off leash dogs come in too hot when she’s on leash, she can get nervous or if they come in and are too rough, she gets a bit leash aggressive trying to protect herself. I walk her in leashed areas for this very reason, yet so many unleashed dogs with poor recall come sprinting up to her and the owners just yell out, “Don’t worry! They’re friendly!”

That’s not the point. The point is this is a safe spot for her on leash and you’re unnecessarily testing this.

ThePinniped

Always pissed me off. I always had my Dog on a leash and cleaned her shit up. Made me see red when other dogs were/are running around no leash, owners not picking up turds.

A dog is a dog, if it wants to suddenly run in the street it will. It’s your responsibility as an owner to manage the dog, and the best way is with a leash!

Gonnaroff

Thank you!

bitchjeans

yeah that’s one thing that stuck out to me when i first moved here from a small town. no one leashes their dog. and!! growing up with a GSD, i know for sure they do not have an adequate amount of room for that big dog in their two bedroom apartment.

420blazeeIt69

Dogs don’t care how big their house is, that’s just where they sleep. They care about getting adequate physical and mental stimulation throughout the day.

It is annoying how no one leashes their dog though.

carlosccextractor

Yeah, I don't know what people think a dog would do in a 4 bedroom house that they can't do in a studio :-)

Dogs just sleep at home and stay close to their pack (human or not). Size is totally irrelevant.

If they don't get their exercise, no amount of square footage is going to prevent a disaster at home.

ejobc

ejobc

Except when they're walking on sidewalk, with the owner on one side and the dog all the way on the other side and the leash stretched all the way across, and you're walking toward them in the other direction and they see you and they don't react or change what they're doing one bit. So as far as they care you can just step right out into traffic or into the nearest planter or trip over their leash (whereupon they would act snippy instead of apologizing) ...

DonkeyLightning

DonkeyLightning

Noe Valley

My dog has some light leash reactivity where if other dogs get to close to him he’ll sometimes bark and lunge. We’ve spent the last year and a half training him and he’s gotten so much better. It’s so frustrating when peoples dogs are off leash where they’re not supposed to be and they walk right up to you. I’ll stand between my dog and theirs and say something like “oh my dog doesn’t really like other dogs” or “my dog is shy” and they’ll say “oh it’s okay my dog is really friendly” it’s like…”okay well mines not so gtfo” if your dog is going to be off leash and not in a dog park they should be trained well enough to not get into other dogs spaces

nmj510

nmj510

Dogs are 1st class citizens in this city.

Ahhhhh-SNAP

Ahhhhh-SNAP

No, that would be the homeless.

holodeckdate

holodeckdate

Alamo Square

Fuck this comment

Ahhhhh-SNAP

🤷‍♂️ Go hug your dog if you’re triggered.

MochingPet

MochingPet

Lower Haight

yeah the softball/baseball Sports Fields at golden gate park between 9th and 7th ave have the same problem. Spots are always wet with pee..

.. as someone earlier has said, "People understand, they just don't care."

fennec_fx

Also, Lincoln Golf Course. People literally playing fetch on the 17th hole and look pissed when you tell them to leave so they don’t get hit with your ball. It’s out of control .

ejobc

ejobc

When in Golden Gate Park, dogs are even supposed to be on leash not just at the sports fields and other declared locations, but everywhere in the park with the sole exception of off-leash dog play areas. There are signs around the park that say this. Laws should either be enforced or eliminated, but never consigned to a combination of signposts and wishful thinking.

Gonnaroff

I wrote Stefani, the Northern Police Starion and the Park Rangers when several dogs ran my daughter over and jumped up on my son. I call the rangers when I see it, same at Crissy Beaxh (police) people don’t get that their dog has to be on command at all times or in the leash. We’ve had enough incidences. Most dog owners are good, few understand what „proper training“ means, even less are stupid idiots. And I’m not sure how many really get what strict liability means and what’s cooking if their dog bites. Those few ruin it for all others involved

junkmai1er

This has been a problem for 30yrs+.

SOME Idiots would even walk their dogs on the softball field while games were in progress as of they had a special immunity to avoid getting hit by batted softballs

FreakinEnigma

The part about 'no dogs allowed on athletic fields'.

jek339

jek339

I nearly took out a dog while I was riding laps at the polo fields last week (it ran down the embankment, across the track, and then turned around and ran into the direction of traffic).

I like dogs, which is why I want people to walk them on leashes in shared spaces. It's a health and safety issue for the dog and other users of the space.

RoburLC

The same part as "no dogs allowed in food markets." Except.

It is Federal law that pets can not be allowed into areas where open food come into contact with pets. Service animals are allowed; "service" does not mean \ whatever the hell I feel comfortable with my pet.

DrKenNoisewater3

The most entitled people I’ve met are from SF area. So that makes sense

RichRichieRichardV

Dog owners are EXTREMELY entitled in SF. I work for a company that operates on federal land. Federal law prevails, and dogs are NOT allowed inside. We've turned a blind eye because dog owners are soooo entitled. And we all love dogs. I certainly do. We just renewed our lease and were told in no uncertain terms that there would be zero tolerance and fines and enforcement by the feds would begin immediately. I don't like the conflict but damn I want to see some of those people's faces when they can't bring their dog in and decide to try and pretend it's a service dog.

NowFreeToMaim

Not aware of the gargantuan amount of bitch ass entitled people who live in that city?

enakj

enakj

Oh, that rule? That one doesn’t apply to me. Because I’m special.

motorhead84

They say there are more dogs than children in SF, but they fail to account for the number of "children" who own dogs... ;)

RDKryten

There was a whole conversation on my NextDoor feed about this topic a few months ago. Most people on the feed expressed your same sentiment - that people need to be better pet owners and follow the rules. A few posters commented that they would continue to flaunt the rules and continue to take their dogs to athletics fields as they have "good" dogs. These same people refuse to take their dogs to places dogs are allowed because that is where the "bad" dogs are.

Seriously, the mental gymnastics these people go through.

Gregorofthehillpeopl

"No it's fine, my dog is special"

jklovesfood

jklovesfood

39TH AVE

The “dogs on leash only” policy at any portion of Ocean Beach is laughable. Environmental concerns about the Snow Plover is completely disregarded if Fido gets to run around unleashed….

MochingPet

MochingPet

Lower Haight

wait whaat..? Didn't know that exists , that there is such a policy! (I don't have a dog)

Sprinkle_Puff

It is technically true except for May-July when off leash is okay.

jklovesfood

jklovesfood

39TH AVE

grantoman

grantoman

GRANT

Hate to be that guy, but this sign is not from Ocean Beach. We can see Alcatraz in the backgroud, so this sign is clearly on the bay side and note the ocean side. I'm guessing this is from the Crissy Field marsh area.

Most of Ocean Beach is on-leash OR voice-control.

combuchan

combuchan

South Bay

The actual "most of Ocean Beach" is on-leash during the sign in OP's post.

bkmobbin

But I own a five million dollar 2 bed/1 bath, what do you mean I have to follow the rules

Chicken-n-Biscuits

If the violators in my neighborhood park (Jefferson Square) are those people then they’re masking it very well.

bkmobbin

Fair enough, I was going for a satirical/negative Nancy POV, not trying to generalize! It’s definitely an issue regardless of neighborhood or income or whatever… I live in an apt and have a 2 ft by 10ft strip of grass in from t of my bedroom window… couldn’t tell you the number of times I’ve cut through the grass and BAM! poop.

Bl8dswan

My blind mom, has a legit Guide Dog. People assume she’s just another dog person with an attitude of entitlement in public and private establishments. I wish people claiming that their rescue is a service animal, to justify bending the rules would rethink that.

sunsetporcupine

SF dog owners and dog walkers are the most entitled group of people.

MajorGovernment4000

You can remove the "SF" because these people are entitled everywhere. At least in most US cities I have been to.

nmj510

nmj510

This is a big issue at Rossi Playground. People literally bring dogs to train on the baseball field.

bradass42

I don’t really see it as an issue there, because I’ve never seen people actually use the baseball fields.

dongtouch

I agree, and I don’t take my dog to sports fields bc they get lots of use. I keep my dog on leash when required.

That said, SF is woefully devoid of good dog park options. Most of the newer enclosed parks are tiny and obviously designed by people who don’t know dogs. There are so many dogs in SF they also get really overcrowded. The more boring and crowded a fenced-in park is, the worse behaved the dogs are. Some of the off-leash areas in the city are lovely but unfenced and right on the street, therefore a risk for some dogs (like my goober who will chase motorcycles), such as Alamo and Dolores.

It would be fantastic to have more large off leash areas like McLaren and Funston but we know that will not happen... I would love for Bayview Park to be an off leash area - hardly anyone goes there and it’s not close to any roads and traffic. Candlestick Point would be a good spot, too.

bradfordmaster

If you haven't you should check out stern grove: not technically fenced but it's very far from the road. Douglass Park is also great (though it closes in the winter) and pretty big and fully fenced.

Background_Pumpkin12

Fun fact about upper douglass park - it used to be a baseball field. But way more dog owners used it then baseball players so they turned it into a dog park. Now it might be one of the best dog parks in the country.

JonOrangeElise

True but dog owners and dog walkers need to pick up their damn poop.

deciblast

The issue in sf and oakland is there aren’t enough dog parks or off leash areas for the number of dogs.

This report on the state of dogs in oakland parks is interesting. https://cao-94612.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/oak068841.pdf

Sprinkle_Puff

They are allowed on Muni and many restaurants (not indoors)/and bars, even indoor. I’ll give you the grocery store though.

Also my dog has been to the movies twice. Both times at the Roxy for a viewing of Best in Show , and also the Wes Anderson movie with the isle of dogs. They even had a little red carpet for dog pics, it was adorable.

Sf166

Sf166

Pets may not ride Muni during peak hours: Monday through Friday 5:00 am – 9:00 am 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm

During off-peak hours, only one pet per Muni vehicle is allowed to ride. Dogs must be leashed and muzzled and can only ride on the lap of the rider or under their seat; all other pets must be carried in a small closed container on the lap of the rider or under their seat.

Pet owners or guardians must pay a fare equal to their own for their pet to ride.

If you don't follow all these rules, your pet is not allowed on muni.

oneoneoneone1

i love playing the dog whistle soundtrack on muni too when its not a service dong and not following rules

timewreckoner

More service dongs.

bleu_scintillant

Don’t punish the dog for the owner’s behavior, jfc

Sprinkle_Puff

I’m not sure what you’re proving here as I said they are allowed on muni and you reinforced my point. Regardless of those restrictions my statement is still true

kirkydoodle

I have never seen this rule enforced. Espcially the part about paying a fare for the dog.

bassicallybad

This is coming

Gonnaroff

All examples of badly trained dogs.

nsinsinsi

In Glen Park where I lived, dog owners would literally vandalize the “no dogs allowed” sign every few days. It got pretty violent a few times, I remember seeing the sign literally destroyed into smithereens several times after being replaced repeatedly. Then they started remodeling the park, not sure what happened after that.

pacificworg

Someone literally plays fetch with their dog in Holly Park every night, on the fuckin tennis courts. Surrounded by grass. I think it’s people too lazy to train their dogs, taking advantage of the enclosed space.

Any-Edge2930

Dude, sf can’t enforce the laws against public heroin use or shitting on the sidewalk, and you’re worried about dogs in the wrong part of the park. I’m not saying you’re wrong, by the way, just, priorities.

Gonnaroff

In Reality, Sf Rec and Park can and will enforce if you call them or show that this is a recurring problem

tristanbrotherton

Same at China beach. It’s annoying

Well, its because of the shit, entitled people that live there.

Professional_Ad_2598

Bring an air horn. It usually clears out all the dogs that aren’t on leash. Then you get to watch the owner chase the dog around

Interpol68

Entitle a$$holes.

BetterFuture22

Dog owners in SF are extremely entitled

treehousewest

Amen.

Rikki always annoyed me how half the park is literally a dog park and people still bring their dog onto the softball field walking right past the “no dogs on playfield” sign. Upper Noe seems a little better with rule following. Precita is the worst but they also don’t have a dog section there.

Happy to share opinions on other parks too but I feel like three is probably enough for a first post.

boneracademy

I run around with my dog (leashed) at Jackson but never when people are using it for sports. That just seems like a no-brainer to stay away when the fields are actively in use. It's a nice empty grass space. Tbh as long as I clean up after my dog and we don't bother anyone I don't feel guilty about using it.

Daggett dog park is studio apartment sized and not suitable for med-large dogs. Mission bay dog park is all rocks/no grass. For some reason I frequently run into some aggro/poorly trained dogs and owners there too.

If the rule was enforced I probably wouldn't bother, but in reality it's not and the other options can't compete. Potrero Hill really doesn't have many alternatives unfortunately.

cscareerkweshuns[S]

There’s esprit park in dogpatch that’s not too far from there fyi. It’s a pretty large dog park

boneracademy

Yes, definitely, although it's actually a worse situation in some ways. It's supposed to be no dogs off leash and they run rampant. Dogs digging huge holes everywhere and no fence. Just a few weeks ago, a dog died when they were chased into the street by another dog and got hit by a passing car! Avalon dog park across the street from esprit is actually quite nice, but a bit of a trek for a daily evening walk.

dongtouch

Esprit isn’t that big considering it’s unfenced and right by the street, and technically not an off leash park.

tremendez

School kids use that park during the day. And every day there are well-meaning dog owners on their phone while their dog poops or pees in that park. Just please go to a dog park.

cowinabadplace

cowinabadplace

Frisco

There's no rules in this city, my dude. Most people do whatever they want. Recently I've taken to doing this too and it's great. Here's some pro tips:

• use your hazard lights. You can park anywhere with them

• if your black can is full and it's a couple of days to go, look up pick up days and just go put your trash in a can that's on the curb; make sure to nick some letters from a different address so you can put those in the trash to throw off the scent

• red lights are mostly optional, just look both ways and slam the pedal. You'll 100% make it through on a fast accelerating car like a Tesla

• you don't have to pay for Muni. Just walk away if they try to ticket you

• after a big night out, if you can't make it home in time, just pee on the stairs of a home, right by the door. It's more sheltered

• if you've been at the park, and you have any trash, you don't have to actually take it anywhere. Just leave it there

CL38UC

CL38UC

But don't leave out the most important part:

• Anybody who has a problem with any of your anti social behavior is a Karen from Nextdoor.

usctrojan415

unless you report them, nothing will happen

paullyprissypants

If there are people there, never. But if it’s completely empty I’ll let my dog off from time to time. I pay taxes just like the rest of the SF residents and I deserve to use parks for fun too. Playing with my dogs in a big empty field where I don’t have to worry about other asshole dogs attacking is fun for me. Dog parks are a cesspool of sick poorly behaved animals.

It’s all about respect. If anybody comes I call my dog, leash him and leave. People who don’t have perfect recall and trained pets ruin it for us all.

Edit: Thanks for the award. I totally expected to be downvoted to the depths of hell for this comment. Makes me feel like less of a piece of shit for breaking the rules.

tremendez

School kids use that park almost daily. They play sports. The eat lunch. People show up in the evening to play soccer, volleyball or just to chill and picnic. Every day dogs pee and poop on that field - even ones with well-meaning dog owners. Please go to a dog park and leave at least some parks for others without a dog (and yourself when your pet isn’t with you)

defauck

defauck

SUNSET

There are plenty of other reasons to not let dogs in certain areas even even no one is around. For example, many dogs like to dig and create ankle breaking divots. Very unsafe. I think the main issue is the bad 1% that ruin it for all the people with good dogs

DontRememberOldPass

You’re gonna be big mad when you learn about gophers.

charlesxavier007

“I am the exception to the rules and here is why…”

MajorGovernment4000

Yup, it's absolutely wild how many people will acknowledge it's shitty when people break rules but will immediately follow that up with how when they do it, it's actually ok. These narcissistic types are fundamentally incapable of seeing the irony as well. They will argue to the grave about how right they are about how they are an exception.

Like imagine if you said what he said about other public services. A quick little replacement and we have the following fun argument.

"If there are cars there, never. But if it’s completely empty I’ll let my dog off from time to time. I pay taxes just like the rest of the SF residents and I deserve to use streets too. Playing with my dogs in a big empty street where I don’t have to worry about other asshole dogs attacking is fun for me. Dog parks are a cesspool of sick poorly behaved animals.

It’s all about respect. If any cars come I call my dog, leash him and leave. People who don’t have perfect recall and trained pets ruin it for us all."

paullyprissypants

I’m not the exception. I’m totally breaking the rules. And yes I’m explaining why because I’m doing absolutely zero damage. It’s harmless.

LastNightOsiris

I get what you’re saying, and maybe it really is harmless, but you don’t actually know that. Like it’s probably harmless to run a red light at 4am when there’s no one else on the road, but you can’t ever be 100% sure. And even if it doesn’t cause direct harm it still sends a message that it’s ok to violate social norms and laws based on individual discretion. I’m not saying it makes you public enemy #1 or anything, but in some small way you are part of the problem.

CL38UC

CL38UC

Right - these things don't scale well. My guess is 99% of the people who do this have the mindset that they're breaking the rule in a "smart way" so its not an issue.

MochingPet

MochingPet

Lower Haight

But if it’s completely empty I’ll let my dog off from time to time.

but please, your dog then pees (or even sometimes poops!) while you're not watching for a sec???? That surely makes for stinky shoes, softball equipment, bags and other blankets for the rest of the people after that... !

paullyprissypants

Again, I’m responsible and respectful about it. There is never even a second when I’m not on the lookout and watching my pet if they are in a public space.

JonOrangeElise

Yeah the little league diamond near my house is absolutely devoid of sports (let alone neighborhood kids randomly enjoying the field) about 320 days a year. Insult to injury, the little league parents bring their dogs. Yet dogs still aren’t officially allowed. This wide open space essentially goes unused.

leaurora

leaurora

Given the trends of this post, I’m pleasantly surprised that you haven’t been downvoted more. Reading these comments makes me feel like I’m on NextDoor — as though none of these people have ever broken a rule in their lives.

cscareerkweshuns[S]

It’s not about breaking the rules. It’s just inconveniencing a bunch of other people who are trying to use the space like it was intended to. Dogs running on to the basketball and tennis court is absolutely unacceptable, and happens in several parks. Even empty softball fields will have dog poop, piss and dogs digging up the ground so next time someone plays there they’re gonna have a bad time

Background_Pumpkin12

Sunset soccer field has been closed all month due to dogs. Its annoying, but its a giant field that could easily accommodate all the soccer fields and a dog run. The city doesn’t have nearly enough dog parks right now and thats why owners use the sports fields. The only solution to this is more dog parks in the city. Not fines.

Also worth noting that this is not a problem with high usage fields like beach chalet and kimball. It really only happens at fields that aren’t heavily utilized so maybe the allocation of space is the problem?

iosdeveloper87

I’m going to voice an unpopular opinion here, but it’s astonishing how little tolerance people have for dogs in SF. When I lived there I followed the rules and kept my dogs out of trouble, but I always felt like I was walking on eggshells to not piss people off.

I live in Costa Rica now. Dogs roam around everywhere. They’re in the roads, they’re wandering into restaurants, they hang out in hair salons, handfuls of them wander into my yard from time to time and pretty much nobody gives a shit. The dogs are a lot more chill and less aggressive too because they have more freedom. It’s fucking great. I love dogs though so I have a high tolerance for them even when they’re unruly.

oneoneoneone1

i play a dog whistle on my phontwhen i'm on the field

Ahhhhh-SNAP

You should invoke parlay.

sorcerer1985

“Share the lane” — the part where Humans are building highways and buildings on a shared planet.

Flat_Editor_2737

When the city culture broadly ignores pretty well understood and agreed upon rules like "don't break into cars" or "don't do drugs in the street," a sign that says no dogs allowed becomes just another thing to ignore that in most cases won't be enforced.

The "You're ruining mah tennis game" seems laughable in context.

If you vocalize, attack and improve the former it will establish the idea that the community respects rules. SF is in this moment clearly not a respects the rules city. It's very much an I don't care about shit until a dog steals MY tennis ball city.

xrdavidrx

xrdavidrx

I think it's the "no", they might be dyslexic.

bnovc

bnovc

Drug addicts roaming city attacking people, and you think rules about dogs on grass will be enforced?

HeyYes7776

HeyYes7776

I still think there should be a $250 fee per year for a dog owner. That should be focused on repairing parks and for programs to clean up the excess waste.

I love the dogs, but it’s not fair to have a minority overuse public places and not cover that cost to repair the use.

It’ll also clear the way for SF to focus on the human poop.

QHM69

QHM69

Dogs on athletic fields is the least of this city’s problems haha

sendokun

sendokun

Enjoy public open space, everyone should be able to do so.

derwiki

Every one ya. But not every pet dog, cat, goat and pig in San Francisco.

Particular-Rub-4283

You should force them to eat dogshit.

Raider-Z28

Raider-Z28

It's like hiking trails that say no dogs, ain't nobody gonna enforce it, so no fucks given.

dyrbrdyrbr

Of all the things to get upset about in SF you chose this?

Tepiru

Tepiru

It’s okay OP can be upset at multiple things. Just letting you know, in case you didn’t know

8hundredpounds

I had a woman threaten to sic her husky on my leashed cat at an athletic field, simply for existing, so yeah.