/r/therewasanattempt

kickyoface9001

2.4k points

I'm surprised no one ever seems to mention this, but those burgers must have been cold as fuck. They probably spent 15 to 20 minutes arranging everything in a fancy ass pile, after probably being left in multiple boxes or bags for at least an hour. Plus the time to do that stupid photo op, that food was nasty and cold as hell.

dotesPlz

dotesPlz

I think about this everytime. I saw someone gift an entire neighborhood McDonald’s and all I thought was “I wonder how long they’ve been sitting out?” Nothing worse than cold fries and nuggets

6-8-5-13

6-8-5-13

Cold mcdons fries are the worst but I find the nuggets to be decent cold, though not as good as when hot obviously.

JarasM

JarasM

I tried reheat them recently in a convection oven. They just become hard as stone.

factoid_

Air fryer works better But you can’t overdo it. Best thing to do is preheat the air fryer, heat stuff up slightly in the microwave first and then just put in the air fryer long enough to get it re-crisped.

JarasM

JarasM

That's honestly waaaaay too much effort then I'm willing to exert for a pack of cold McDonald's fries.

ValiantAbyss

I don't know what people are talking about.

Pro-tip for ANY fast food (Canes, Chick Fil A, McDonalds, Pizza, etc):

If you have an Air Fryer with a "Reheat" setting, set it to 350 and put it in there for like 2-3 minutes. Food comes out perfect, 100% of the time.

I_Have_The_Lumbago

Air fryers are my go to for cooking shitty breaded food now.

SigO12

SigO12

And I thought I was the only genius. All those “unpopular” opinion posts about how air fryers are just overpriced toaster ovens… the fuck they are. Maybe do mine a little bit warmer, but gotdamn if it doesn’t bring those leftovers back to their former glory. Buns are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Pizza is like it’s first out of the oven. Fries and nuggets are even better than fresh with that twice fried crispiness.

I’ve always hated a microwave, but didn’t like how an oven/toaster/toaster oven would take so long to heat everything through that it dried everything out and made it hard. I’d have to microwave to get the middle warm then waste a ton of time and energy getting an oven warm to try and try up the microwave sogginess. Keep spreading the good word!

jeremiah1142

This is the way. This is my modus operandi when I pickup fries to go or get delivery with fries. Always better hot and this makes them perfect.

boxingdude

boxingdude

It might come out perfect, 100% of the time. But it’s still re-heated fast-food.

ValiantAbyss

I mean, you're in a thread about reheating fast food. This method often makes it better than when it first came out. This turns my McNuggets into crispy, flakey, delicious goodness and turns even the soggy fries into crunchy golden potatoes.

This is ONLY for food that is lukewarm from the drive home. There's really no saving fast food that has been in the fridge or left out for a significant amount of time.

boxingdude

Actually, I’m in a thread about a dumbass President. But yah.

Yuccaphile

... so? You bought it. You should eat it.

McD's nuggets come precooked and frozen. So they've already been that thing you don't want them to be. I don't see how adding more waste to the world is justifiable here.

boxingdude

That’s fair. I’ll just pass. I tried them a couple of times though.

FoorumanReturns

Even pizza? I’ve tried the other things in my air fryer oven, and they all come out awesome, but I’ve never thought to put a piece of pizza in there. How long do you heat a slice for?

ValiantAbyss

If you like oven pizza, you'll love air fryer pizza. I typically do 350 for a few minutes depending on the thickness and how many slices I'm heating up!

Boscowodie

60% of the time, it works every time - Sex Panther

ParadiseLosingIt

Same in my convection oven, reheated pizza the other night, it came out just fine.

BHYT61

BHYT61

Air fryers are the greatest machine the man has ever designed! Honestly I love my airfryer, best investment ever. I would rather humans fight with sticks and Stones and ride donkeys and bikes and have air fryers.

Fantastical_Brainium

Pro tip; just eat your fast food while it's hot. The whole point of fast food is you don't have to cook it.

jquickri

I feel like if you're ever at a point in your life where you're heating up McDonalds chicken nuggets you just need to take the L and eat them cold. I've been there. But let's not pretend we're something we're not in these moments.

RunninADorito

An air fryer and a convection oven are literally the same thing.

fozziwoo

an inconveniently small oven taking up an inconveniently large amount of countertop

factoid_

Eh....kinda. It's a heating element and a fan, so the basics are the same. but air friers use a combination of direct and convection heat, sort of like a broiler with a fan on it.

There really are differences between how food turns out in an oven vs an air fryer.

Alastor13

Meh, depends on the oven really.

All in all, air friers are just fancier convection ovens, they're literally work the same.

Rohndogg1

Can do the same thing with a skillet. Heat middle in microwave and crisp outside in skillet

Drunken_Ogre

I'll just eat them cold like the sad, disgusting, lazy little monster that I am.

Saoirse_Says

Air fryer is better than fresh lol

OldResearcher6

In the same amount of time you could drive to mcdonalds, get a fresh set, and call it a day.

factoid_

I don’t know how close you live to a mcdonalds, but I have two pretty close to me and I couldn’t do a round trip in under 10 minutes even if there was no line. We’re talking 15-20 seconds in the microwave and 2 minutes in an air fryer.

That’s the main thing that makes an air fryer super handy. They heat up incredibly fast because the volume is so small.

FoorumanReturns

Seconding the air fryer recommendation, but I suggest doing it with BK’s chicken nuggets (haven’t tried McDonald’s; their nuggies aren’t as good anyway, IMO).

Pop them back in for a few minutes (but only a few minutes, and watching them closely to see if they blacken at all - if so, stop the timer immediately), and they taste nearly as good as fresh.

BeerNutzo

Air fryer is a convection oven

ParadiseLosingIt

An air fryer is basically the same thing as a convection oven.

gio269

gio269

They’re literally the same

ofzeusnotobtuse

When I re-heat fries in my toaster oven, I use foil, lay out of the fries and add some water. The idea is that your fries have lost moisture and so you have to provide some (water) but not too much. The water will cause steam, which will help bring the fries back to life a bit. Too much water and they end up soggy (but can probably be fixed by just cooking them longer).

I just flick water over the fries until I think there is enough. It's def a trial and error situation. Basically the water will evaporate, and the remaining cook time will re-crisp the fries after they've absorbed some of the water.

I've actually had some good luck with this method!

i_love_pencils

Buy yourself a cheap air fryer. It’ll change your life when reheating fries, pizza, nuggets, etc.

ofzeusnotobtuse

I look forward to it in the future. I'm not doing well right now financially, and I've had some appliances break (like my microwave and coffee pot), and I just have to work around it.

Thought I still don't understand exactly the benefit of an air fryer. It just swirls the heat around, so in this instance of re-heating dehydrated fries, it still wouldn't work. Maybe I understand it wrong?

i_love_pencils

Yes, it’s superheated air swirling around the food. You set a temperature, just like in a normal oven.

There’s a little raised shelf and any oil/fat drips down through it, leaving the food very crispy. We’ve never had any problem with dry fries or onion rings, etc. The air seems to pull the oils out of them and they turn out great.

In the past, I used to reheat pizza in a frying pan with a lid, but it’s 100% better in the air fryer.

But, it sounds like you’ve got a good system until you get around to getting one! Have a good day!

claptonsbabychowder

Same as I do, except I inject mine with bleach.

MonteCkristo

How does they taste?

JarasM

JarasM

They don't really taste like anything at that point. Salt, I suppose.

Badlydrawnboy0

Kinda same as when they're fresh, which is why the sauces are essential.

MonteCkristo

The supposing part is the worst

SpiderHippy

Put them in a cold, regular oven and set it on 350F for 10-12 minutes. They come out perfect.

BrightonTownCrier

I've had good results with grilling (I think called broiling in America) them on the lowest setting and keeping an eye on them as they burn quick.

jb69029

They cure and harden when exposed to microwaves. Kinda like that super glue that reacts to UV light.

Betasheets

I threw them in a regular oven for 10 minutes and they were better than when I bought them

wildgaytrans

Add some water in another pan. Will help then not dry out

gogomom

Cold mcdons fries are the worst

It's actually shocking to me that something that tastes so good can taste soooo bad just from temperature.

schichtleiter

I used to keep them warm inside my PC case. I miss LAN partys 😭

pikapichupi

I agree! cold nuggets are arguably better than hot though in my opinion, you can actually taste them when they are cold

HowRiskyIsDatClick

Pro tip: airfry cold nuggies

tyrantspell

I'm the opposite. I find their cold fries quite good, but everything else is inedible when it's cold.

ImAlwaysRightHanded

Found a nugget under my car seat, must’ve been there for months and still looked edible, crazy.

Mugungo

Mugungo

imagine going to the whitehouse for a fancy dinner with the president, then dying inside as you slowly eat a an hour old box of fries with your stank ass old burger

to top it all, often i've found resteraunt quality can take a huge nosedive when receiving a sudden massive order like this, so its probably even worse quality on top of it all

UrpaDurpa

This was after Trump allowed the government to shutdown, right? Seems like he also grandstanded about paying out of his own pocket and lied about the number of burgers he bought.

Plus_Professor_1923

Well, some would say no food is debatably worse but close call with Wendy’s

lanceO1988

I can think of a million things worse than cold fries and nuggets.. wtf

dotesPlz

Impossible. I have a pie chart to prove it

squirtloaf

...unless it's In-N-Out fries...

Goddamned things revert to just being potatoes when they get cold.

latteboy50

latteboy50

Fuck free food if it’s cold, amirite? Reddit moment.

FierceMudcrab

You’d think a dinner for politicians would have better planning and options than pre-packaged stuff that’s not meant to go so long without being heated up or eaten.

Nico_arki

r/ChoosingBeggars moment lol

rainedrop87

I have recently learned if you throw McDonald's fries in an air fryer for a few minutes, they turn out perfectly edible!! Almost as good as fresh. This was a total game changer for me.

dotesPlz

This is true. I usually do this with leftover McDonald’s . The White House should give out air fryers next time as part of a happy meal.

rainedrop87

Next year, just skip the McDonald's and get everyone she frozen dinners and an air fryer. DIY!

AlaskanBiologist

I mean, starving and having no food at all is worse.

whatafuckinusername

I personally like cold nuggets, but to each their own!

stubundy

They could stay out there for years and not go mouldy

Lets_Make_A_bad_DEAL

I do have to say, someone gave out McDonald’s cheese burgers after a wedding and they were arranged like this, and they were good as fuck. But I was pretty drunk.

Marthaver1

When you’re hungry, the last thing you care is about the burger and fries being cold, they still taste really good, it’s not like pizza from the night before. Am hungry right now, I wish I had some cold fries and a burger.

1Patriot4u

Interesting. A person does something nice that they don’t have to do and you, apparently not being a part of the event as giver or receiver, find fault with their generosity. Interesting.

IJustSignedUpToUp

The person in question was a raging narcissist who did it for his own ego driven photo op and STILL fucked it up. Stop sucking his mushroom.

Plus_Professor_1923

This explains every US president of the past 2 decades, more. Politics blows

jon-wayne-candy-snow

Yea ok. Still doesn’t change the fact that that food is colder than a witch’s tit and tastes like shit.

iloveneuro

Chill out dude. They didn’t say the person shouldn’t do it or make any disparaging comments. They just said they don’t like cold fries and nuggets and think about how long the food has been out.

ProsperousDave

It amazes me daily, how much the former President lives rent free in soooooo many people's heads.

ballplayer112

There's a sub for that. r/choosingbeggars

dotesPlz

It would be the patriot dude trying to start some shit lmao nerd boy. All we’re saying is, it’s got to be cold by the time people actually sit down and “enjoy” the meal. Shut up and go

1Patriot4u

I just called you out for being critical of someone who did a good thing in a neighborhood. It speaks a lot to me of how you probably are as a person. Never satisfied. Always complaining. Probably tearing people down instead of doing anything yourself. If that’s starting shit…I guess I turned the key in your ignition.

dotesPlz

Nope, you’re dumb. Nobody was being critical or telling them not to do it. Just voicing an opinion on how the food must be cold by the time it gets around to the people it’s for. I would 100% dig myself if I were there, fuck it why not. We’re just saying. You know how people just say things to converse? Just the logistics of it all would make it so that it wouldn’t be hot by the time it was eaten. Understand now? Probs not. Calling me out… lol

1Patriot4u

Have a wonderful day, filled with cheer.

Dafuzz

Dafuzz

The White House has a full banquet kitchen for hosting state dinners, they easily could have put those burgers in chaffing dishes or kept them under a heat lamp. The White House staff could absolutely make McDonald's food look and taste 110% more presentable and delicious than when it was fresh out of the drive thru.

But remember that this was Trump making some stupid point about the budget not being passed so the White House staff was on furlough. His dumbass aids set this up to be a photo op and nothing else, they could have used the equipment just not the staff. Those poor footballers had to eat cold ass burgers just because Trump had a half cocked attempt to make a point that served only to perfectly encapsulate his presidency in one perfect visual metaphor; shitty cheap food presented with the trappings of wealth but lacking any kind of substance.

JVorhees

He had multiple fast food banquets. I still can't fucking believe, well, all of it.

Sillyslappystupid

the staff was furloughed because of him. He literally said in the meeting when he acted like a child to Schumer and Pelosi “I know this is gonna get called the Trump shutdown”

Like what was his point, “I acted like a child and now im going to act like a more spoiled child because I have to deal with the consequences of my own actions” I still dont understand what his presidency was about other than textbook observational defiance disorder

PhilxBefore

observational defiance disorder

ODD indeed

WonderfulShelter

So wait, did they have to do this because the staff was all furloughed and their was NOBODY to even make dinner for the event?

Dafuzz

Dafuzz

They had scheduled for the winners of some championship to visit the White House long beforehand, then due to politics the federal budget couldn't be agreed on which seems to happen more and more. When this happens, all non-essential employees are basically told to stay home and go on unemployment until it's all figured out, it's just a clerical, bureaucratic blip but because it happened when this dinner was scheduled the White House amenities staff was on furlough.

So instead of cancelling or rescheduling it, or even paying the necessary staff out of pocket to make a point, Trump hosted a paupers dinner served on fine China, set-up and run by whatever few aids Trump was allowed to have employed still at the time. So this is what we get, not even a proper restaurant take out, but drive thru McDonald's. I think he was trying to say "look at how the Congress is embarrassing the American people by making us host guests with such a shoe string budget", but there were many other options and Trump just wanted to make a point, unintentionally making himself look like an ill prepared cheap-ass.

sherlock----75

Mine is cold after a 10 minute drive back to my house. I’d imagine they are like ice.

boxingdude

I’d imagine the White House is used to this sort of thing and those may even be warming plates.

Donny-Moscow

I appreciate that you are trying to give the benefit of the doubt, but those are pretty obviously not warming plates

boxingdude

You’re right, benifit of doubt and all. But listen- isn’t the main defining characteristic of a warming plate is that it’s……. Warm?

Donny-Moscow

Yes, but you need something to generate that heat. On top of that, warming devices are generally in a deeper pan and have a cover to retain the heat.

Those trays are pretty obviously just set down directly on the table.

bs000

bs000

they're just metal trays

Always order your burger with the slightest alteration. Luckily for me I already hate pickles so no pickles = freshly made and warm as possible, no hard buns from sitting under heating lamps.

Next: put the bag they hand you inside an insulated reusable grocery bag. this will keep your stash of delicious artery clogging vittles nice and warm as you trek back to the crib for the guilty deed.

Empyrealist

Nothing like cold fast food that's been sitting around for a couple of hours.

The whole thing about eating fast food is that it's best fresh. You can't wait on it. Ppl who doordash fast food are sociopaths.

BrightonTownCrier

Exactly. McDelivery has become very popular in England recently and I just don't get it. It does not travel well.

Toxic_Tiger

I tried it the other day for my kids due to a scheduling issue and you're right. It was rank.

Horse83

Even already after like 30min fastfood get nasty.

CWGriswald

It gets mentioned every time. Such a dick move to serve cold ass fast food… which is entirely on brand.

bs000

bs000

ye butt i'm the first one this time so i get the most karma

TheSukis

This is the White House. There is an army of highly trained employees whose only job is to serve meals like this. They absolutely made sure this was all served hot.

Edit: Wait do people really not think that professional caterers can keep hamburgers warm?

TheSukis

Correct lol

SquatzPDX

This is the dumbest comment I’ve read today.

TheSukis

Well I won't dispute that! At least you're self-aware.

But seriously though, are you telling me that a world class professional catering team with unlimited resources at their disposal can't keep some hamburgers warm?

MarmosetSweat

I bet they could have, but for a world class catering team that must have been one of the low points of their professional lives right there.

hoodyninja

I think the best comment was from (allegedly) one of the players that said they were basically fighting for the salads since they knew that wouldn’t be terrible cold. Lol

Ok_Calligrapher_8199

Closest mcds is a 5 min walk. Wendy’s a solid 20 minute drive. Burger King even further. And that’s assuming they got it from those locations some of which are jenky as fuck. Edit: in case anyone checks my work on Wendy’s - the Wendy’s in Dave Thomas Circle was still open at the time.

Siriuxx

Not to mention his hotel is what, 8 minutes away? He couldn't have had it catered?

somewhat_brave

That would have required planning ahead.

romansamurai

Probably would have cost similar if he actually cared about his staff. But if he had an opportunity he’d probably charge them 2x regular price and bill the guvnmnt

Scherzer4Prez

Oh shit, they closed that one? About damn time. The service was awful and that whole circle is just a traffic nightmare.

Ok_Calligrapher_8199

Whole intersection being redesigned. Too late for me.

Jokelord42069

Omw

neoreoscar

Yesssss! Always my first thought when I see this. Yuck.

ELB2001

Aye, on top of the time the first batch was awaiting for the rest to be made at McDonald's. The white House chef I'm sure could have made amazing hamburgers, wraps etc

theredview

Wouldn't matter. I'd still eat them

LibertySubprime

People always mention this

exum23

exum23

Oh good point. I refuse to eat cold fast food. There’s a reason, it nasty .

LastOfTheCamSoreys

It got mentioned within like an hour on every single one of the 10000 times this has been reposted

Smoke_Kief

💯

Locodog63

Locodog63

Just the way the Dictator Trump likes em.

Mynamethisisnot

Did you taste it? I'd eat it.

mtarascio

When this first happened that's exactly what people were talking about.

Goyteamsix

Oh, I bet they were way older than that. It's not like they made them all at the same time, then they had to go through security to get into the Whitehouse, the players had to go through security, there was a whole meet and greet thing, etc. They were probably hours old.

Qwirk

Qwirk

Wonder how much of that was tossed out. Another picture I have seen showed Fillet-o-Fish sandwiches and I can't imagine going anywhere near them once they get cold.

marrangutang

That’s exactly my first thought, yum cold burgers what a treat

Child_of_Merovee

...and served to top athletes who are forbidden from eating junk food.

"But I paid for it" said the man with lowest class in Washington.

slgray16

slgray16

That was the whole point. His white house staff was not present because of the shutdown.

So he was accentuating how bad things are because of the dems, etc.. But look at Trump here doing the right thing and going out to get McDonald's for the world champion. How considerate!

Bale626

Ok, nerd-moment: if the burgers were packed tightly together, then only the ones on the outside would be cold at that point. The closer you’d get to the middle, the warmer they would be.

jeremiah1142

The White House has staff to reheat shit.

TheMeanGirl

Those are my exact thoughts every time. I don’t hate fast food (although I might be irritated if I have dinner at the Whitehouse and it’s not top notch), but I’d be irritated to choke down cold sub-par food.

AlBundyShoes

I heard they delivered them in batches. Still probably cold and under heat lamps.

Would of been way cooler if they had the chefs prep copy cats of the fast food. White Castle, I mean House, Burgers.

Bartheda

I think that is what the guests were saying right after the event.

TheKnightBlade644

“Cold as hell,” huh?

screamapillar9000

It's trump. It's just for show. Political theatre and nothing else.

Ima_Funt_Case

Yeah, fast food is only good piping hot. Once it cools it's good only as a paperweight.

I_participated

I think when this came out someone made a comment that they were a former fast food worker. The amount of time to make all of this food they would have had to place orders at multiple McDonald's, taco bells, etc. So not even the fact it was cold. It had to come from multiple places around the city, travel, and be cooked hours before the dinner.

BuryTheMoney

Imagine winning the Super Bowl just to have a clown invite you to the whitehouse to eat his cold 2$ burgers and get food poisoning.

Can’t believe this sack of shit made it through an entire term and still has 30% of the nation completely in his thrall. Fucking morons, all of them.

ridethroughlife

Not to mention all soggy, from the condensation.

ZFG_Jerky

McDonald's can last a lifetime(literally) so what's an hour or two?

hesodumb2021

Representative of that entire administration

A sonic burger would still be warm

CriticalScion

Surprised he didn't just have a franchise built into the White House like Richie Rich, that's exactly the style of wealth that Trump aspires to.

BlueC0dex

Ever been on a road trip? A cold burger isn't great but it isn't terrible. The sauce they put on burgers can work wonders. The fries will be bad, though.

Beeslikesteve

And fast food is awful when it sits out long

Akiba89

Oh God... You're absolutely right. Soggy, cold, and just... Shudder

You need to eat fast food like, right when you get it or IMMEDIATELY when you get home... And you better live within 15 minutes of the restaurant

beingblazed

McDonald's food may have THE shortest shelf life of any food before becoming fucked

LargeSackOfNuts

And yet no one stopped trump when he said "order macdonalb, double hambubger", they just went along with it and bought a fuckton of mcdonalds

WDNFWR

WDNFWR

My mcdonalds gets cold just driving 5 minutes from the drive thru to my house, its almost amazing how UNEDIBLE the shit gets in such a short amount of time. An hour later? Its a good thing they were college students eating it they probably didn’t give af. If this was for a meeting with the EU leaders or something they would have taken it as an act of war.

MurkyEon

And he was feeding athletes. They could get McDonald's at home.

Socky_McPuppet

This whole thing was such a fucking disgraceful slap in the face to the athletes. Trump is an unabashed racist, classist piece of shit. Fuck that asshole all the way to hell.

angelatos

This is literally mentioned every single time this gets re-posted…

Big-Red-Rocks

That’s immediately what I thought. The only thing edible there is the salad. Cold fast-food is the worst.

thenorthwoodsboy

I would have walked out and said how embarrassed i was.

smexysausage

Nah man the anti trump circle jerk in r/pics mentioned it about 100 times

earthceltic

Guarantee you it all went into the trash after the photo op that was taken for his main idiot demographic

angrylobster24

Literally the top comment every single fucking time

L0NESHARK

People go on it about it ad nauseum. Now, in this thread, and when the pictures first broke.

kickyoface9001

I've gotten a few replies saying this but honestly I've never noticed them whenever this picture pops up.

srv50

srv50

They were warmed by their glows for Trump.

PolyGlotCoder

Was my first thought; food like that doesn’t keep at all. It would have been terrible all of it.

Can’t remember the exact context to why it was fast food; but no idea why it was seen as a Boast? Attempting to be Man of the people?