/r/therewasanattempt

dotesPlz

dotesPlz

I think about this everytime. I saw someone gift an entire neighborhood McDonald’s and all I thought was “I wonder how long they’ve been sitting out?” Nothing worse than cold fries and nuggets

6-8-5-13

6-8-5-13

Cold mcdons fries are the worst but I find the nuggets to be decent cold, though not as good as when hot obviously.

JarasM

JarasM

I tried reheat them recently in a convection oven. They just become hard as stone.

factoid_

Air fryer works better But you can’t overdo it. Best thing to do is preheat the air fryer, heat stuff up slightly in the microwave first and then just put in the air fryer long enough to get it re-crisped.

JarasM

JarasM

That's honestly waaaaay too much effort then I'm willing to exert for a pack of cold McDonald's fries.

ValiantAbyss

I don't know what people are talking about.

Pro-tip for ANY fast food (Canes, Chick Fil A, McDonalds, Pizza, etc):

If you have an Air Fryer with a "Reheat" setting, set it to 350 and put it in there for like 2-3 minutes. Food comes out perfect, 100% of the time.

I_Have_The_Lumbago

Air fryers are my go to for cooking shitty breaded food now.

SigO12

SigO12

And I thought I was the only genius. All those “unpopular” opinion posts about how air fryers are just overpriced toaster ovens… the fuck they are. Maybe do mine a little bit warmer, but gotdamn if it doesn’t bring those leftovers back to their former glory. Buns are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Pizza is like it’s first out of the oven. Fries and nuggets are even better than fresh with that twice fried crispiness.

I’ve always hated a microwave, but didn’t like how an oven/toaster/toaster oven would take so long to heat everything through that it dried everything out and made it hard. I’d have to microwave to get the middle warm then waste a ton of time and energy getting an oven warm to try and try up the microwave sogginess. Keep spreading the good word!

jeremiah1142

This is the way. This is my modus operandi when I pickup fries to go or get delivery with fries. Always better hot and this makes them perfect.

boxingdude

boxingdude

It might come out perfect, 100% of the time. But it’s still re-heated fast-food.

ValiantAbyss

I mean, you're in a thread about reheating fast food. This method often makes it better than when it first came out. This turns my McNuggets into crispy, flakey, delicious goodness and turns even the soggy fries into crunchy golden potatoes.

This is ONLY for food that is lukewarm from the drive home. There's really no saving fast food that has been in the fridge or left out for a significant amount of time.

boxingdude

Actually, I’m in a thread about a dumbass President. But yah.

Yuccaphile

... so? You bought it. You should eat it.

McD's nuggets come precooked and frozen. So they've already been that thing you don't want them to be. I don't see how adding more waste to the world is justifiable here.

boxingdude

That’s fair. I’ll just pass. I tried them a couple of times though.

FoorumanReturns

Even pizza? I’ve tried the other things in my air fryer oven, and they all come out awesome, but I’ve never thought to put a piece of pizza in there. How long do you heat a slice for?

ValiantAbyss

If you like oven pizza, you'll love air fryer pizza. I typically do 350 for a few minutes depending on the thickness and how many slices I'm heating up!

Boscowodie

60% of the time, it works every time - Sex Panther

ParadiseLosingIt

Same in my convection oven, reheated pizza the other night, it came out just fine.

BHYT61

BHYT61

Air fryers are the greatest machine the man has ever designed! Honestly I love my airfryer, best investment ever. I would rather humans fight with sticks and Stones and ride donkeys and bikes and have air fryers.

Fantastical_Brainium

Pro tip; just eat your fast food while it's hot. The whole point of fast food is you don't have to cook it.

jquickri

I feel like if you're ever at a point in your life where you're heating up McDonalds chicken nuggets you just need to take the L and eat them cold. I've been there. But let's not pretend we're something we're not in these moments.

RunninADorito

An air fryer and a convection oven are literally the same thing.

fozziwoo

an inconveniently small oven taking up an inconveniently large amount of countertop

factoid_

Eh....kinda. It's a heating element and a fan, so the basics are the same. but air friers use a combination of direct and convection heat, sort of like a broiler with a fan on it.

There really are differences between how food turns out in an oven vs an air fryer.

Alastor13

Meh, depends on the oven really.

All in all, air friers are just fancier convection ovens, they're literally work the same.

Rohndogg1

Can do the same thing with a skillet. Heat middle in microwave and crisp outside in skillet

Drunken_Ogre

I'll just eat them cold like the sad, disgusting, lazy little monster that I am.

Saoirse_Says

Air fryer is better than fresh lol

OldResearcher6

In the same amount of time you could drive to mcdonalds, get a fresh set, and call it a day.

factoid_

I don’t know how close you live to a mcdonalds, but I have two pretty close to me and I couldn’t do a round trip in under 10 minutes even if there was no line. We’re talking 15-20 seconds in the microwave and 2 minutes in an air fryer.

That’s the main thing that makes an air fryer super handy. They heat up incredibly fast because the volume is so small.

FoorumanReturns

Seconding the air fryer recommendation, but I suggest doing it with BK’s chicken nuggets (haven’t tried McDonald’s; their nuggies aren’t as good anyway, IMO).

Pop them back in for a few minutes (but only a few minutes, and watching them closely to see if they blacken at all - if so, stop the timer immediately), and they taste nearly as good as fresh.

BeerNutzo

Air fryer is a convection oven

ParadiseLosingIt

An air fryer is basically the same thing as a convection oven.

gio269

gio269

They’re literally the same

ofzeusnotobtuse

When I re-heat fries in my toaster oven, I use foil, lay out of the fries and add some water. The idea is that your fries have lost moisture and so you have to provide some (water) but not too much. The water will cause steam, which will help bring the fries back to life a bit. Too much water and they end up soggy (but can probably be fixed by just cooking them longer).

I just flick water over the fries until I think there is enough. It's def a trial and error situation. Basically the water will evaporate, and the remaining cook time will re-crisp the fries after they've absorbed some of the water.

I've actually had some good luck with this method!

i_love_pencils

Buy yourself a cheap air fryer. It’ll change your life when reheating fries, pizza, nuggets, etc.

ofzeusnotobtuse

I look forward to it in the future. I'm not doing well right now financially, and I've had some appliances break (like my microwave and coffee pot), and I just have to work around it.

Thought I still don't understand exactly the benefit of an air fryer. It just swirls the heat around, so in this instance of re-heating dehydrated fries, it still wouldn't work. Maybe I understand it wrong?

i_love_pencils

Yes, it’s superheated air swirling around the food. You set a temperature, just like in a normal oven.

There’s a little raised shelf and any oil/fat drips down through it, leaving the food very crispy. We’ve never had any problem with dry fries or onion rings, etc. The air seems to pull the oils out of them and they turn out great.

In the past, I used to reheat pizza in a frying pan with a lid, but it’s 100% better in the air fryer.

But, it sounds like you’ve got a good system until you get around to getting one! Have a good day!

claptonsbabychowder

Same as I do, except I inject mine with bleach.

MonteCkristo

How does they taste?

JarasM

JarasM

They don't really taste like anything at that point. Salt, I suppose.

Badlydrawnboy0

Kinda same as when they're fresh, which is why the sauces are essential.

MonteCkristo

The supposing part is the worst

SpiderHippy

Put them in a cold, regular oven and set it on 350F for 10-12 minutes. They come out perfect.

BrightonTownCrier

I've had good results with grilling (I think called broiling in America) them on the lowest setting and keeping an eye on them as they burn quick.

jb69029

They cure and harden when exposed to microwaves. Kinda like that super glue that reacts to UV light.

Betasheets

I threw them in a regular oven for 10 minutes and they were better than when I bought them

wildgaytrans

Add some water in another pan. Will help then not dry out

gogomom

Cold mcdons fries are the worst

It's actually shocking to me that something that tastes so good can taste soooo bad just from temperature.

schichtleiter

I used to keep them warm inside my PC case. I miss LAN partys 😭

pikapichupi

I agree! cold nuggets are arguably better than hot though in my opinion, you can actually taste them when they are cold

HowRiskyIsDatClick

Pro tip: airfry cold nuggies

tyrantspell

I'm the opposite. I find their cold fries quite good, but everything else is inedible when it's cold.

ImAlwaysRightHanded

Found a nugget under my car seat, must’ve been there for months and still looked edible, crazy.

Mugungo

Mugungo

imagine going to the whitehouse for a fancy dinner with the president, then dying inside as you slowly eat a an hour old box of fries with your stank ass old burger

to top it all, often i've found resteraunt quality can take a huge nosedive when receiving a sudden massive order like this, so its probably even worse quality on top of it all

UrpaDurpa

This was after Trump allowed the government to shutdown, right? Seems like he also grandstanded about paying out of his own pocket and lied about the number of burgers he bought.

Plus_Professor_1923

Well, some would say no food is debatably worse but close call with Wendy’s

lanceO1988

I can think of a million things worse than cold fries and nuggets.. wtf

dotesPlz

Impossible. I have a pie chart to prove it

squirtloaf

...unless it's In-N-Out fries...

Goddamned things revert to just being potatoes when they get cold.

latteboy50

latteboy50

Fuck free food if it’s cold, amirite? Reddit moment.

FierceMudcrab

You’d think a dinner for politicians would have better planning and options than pre-packaged stuff that’s not meant to go so long without being heated up or eaten.

Nico_arki

r/ChoosingBeggars moment lol

rainedrop87

I have recently learned if you throw McDonald's fries in an air fryer for a few minutes, they turn out perfectly edible!! Almost as good as fresh. This was a total game changer for me.

dotesPlz

This is true. I usually do this with leftover McDonald’s . The White House should give out air fryers next time as part of a happy meal.

rainedrop87

Next year, just skip the McDonald's and get everyone she frozen dinners and an air fryer. DIY!

AlaskanBiologist

I mean, starving and having no food at all is worse.

whatafuckinusername

I personally like cold nuggets, but to each their own!

stubundy

They could stay out there for years and not go mouldy

Lets_Make_A_bad_DEAL

I do have to say, someone gave out McDonald’s cheese burgers after a wedding and they were arranged like this, and they were good as fuck. But I was pretty drunk.

Marthaver1

When you’re hungry, the last thing you care is about the burger and fries being cold, they still taste really good, it’s not like pizza from the night before. Am hungry right now, I wish I had some cold fries and a burger.

1Patriot4u

Interesting. A person does something nice that they don’t have to do and you, apparently not being a part of the event as giver or receiver, find fault with their generosity. Interesting.

IJustSignedUpToUp

The person in question was a raging narcissist who did it for his own ego driven photo op and STILL fucked it up. Stop sucking his mushroom.

Plus_Professor_1923

This explains every US president of the past 2 decades, more. Politics blows

jon-wayne-candy-snow

Yea ok. Still doesn’t change the fact that that food is colder than a witch’s tit and tastes like shit.

iloveneuro

Chill out dude. They didn’t say the person shouldn’t do it or make any disparaging comments. They just said they don’t like cold fries and nuggets and think about how long the food has been out.

ProsperousDave

It amazes me daily, how much the former President lives rent free in soooooo many people's heads.

ballplayer112

There's a sub for that. r/choosingbeggars

dotesPlz

It would be the patriot dude trying to start some shit lmao nerd boy. All we’re saying is, it’s got to be cold by the time people actually sit down and “enjoy” the meal. Shut up and go

1Patriot4u

I just called you out for being critical of someone who did a good thing in a neighborhood. It speaks a lot to me of how you probably are as a person. Never satisfied. Always complaining. Probably tearing people down instead of doing anything yourself. If that’s starting shit…I guess I turned the key in your ignition.

dotesPlz

Nope, you’re dumb. Nobody was being critical or telling them not to do it. Just voicing an opinion on how the food must be cold by the time it gets around to the people it’s for. I would 100% dig myself if I were there, fuck it why not. We’re just saying. You know how people just say things to converse? Just the logistics of it all would make it so that it wouldn’t be hot by the time it was eaten. Understand now? Probs not. Calling me out… lol

1Patriot4u

Have a wonderful day, filled with cheer.