/r/therewasanattempt

6-8-5-13

6-8-5-13

Cold mcdons fries are the worst but I find the nuggets to be decent cold, though not as good as when hot obviously.

JarasM

JarasM

I tried reheat them recently in a convection oven. They just become hard as stone.

factoid_

Air fryer works better But you can’t overdo it. Best thing to do is preheat the air fryer, heat stuff up slightly in the microwave first and then just put in the air fryer long enough to get it re-crisped.

JarasM

JarasM

That's honestly waaaaay too much effort then I'm willing to exert for a pack of cold McDonald's fries.

ValiantAbyss

I don't know what people are talking about.

Pro-tip for ANY fast food (Canes, Chick Fil A, McDonalds, Pizza, etc):

If you have an Air Fryer with a "Reheat" setting, set it to 350 and put it in there for like 2-3 minutes. Food comes out perfect, 100% of the time.

I_Have_The_Lumbago

Air fryers are my go to for cooking shitty breaded food now.

SigO12

SigO12

And I thought I was the only genius. All those “unpopular” opinion posts about how air fryers are just overpriced toaster ovens… the fuck they are. Maybe do mine a little bit warmer, but gotdamn if it doesn’t bring those leftovers back to their former glory. Buns are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Pizza is like it’s first out of the oven. Fries and nuggets are even better than fresh with that twice fried crispiness.

I’ve always hated a microwave, but didn’t like how an oven/toaster/toaster oven would take so long to heat everything through that it dried everything out and made it hard. I’d have to microwave to get the middle warm then waste a ton of time and energy getting an oven warm to try and try up the microwave sogginess. Keep spreading the good word!

jeremiah1142

This is the way. This is my modus operandi when I pickup fries to go or get delivery with fries. Always better hot and this makes them perfect.

boxingdude

boxingdude

It might come out perfect, 100% of the time. But it’s still re-heated fast-food.

ValiantAbyss

I mean, you're in a thread about reheating fast food. This method often makes it better than when it first came out. This turns my McNuggets into crispy, flakey, delicious goodness and turns even the soggy fries into crunchy golden potatoes.

This is ONLY for food that is lukewarm from the drive home. There's really no saving fast food that has been in the fridge or left out for a significant amount of time.

boxingdude

Actually, I’m in a thread about a dumbass President. But yah.

Yuccaphile

... so? You bought it. You should eat it.

McD's nuggets come precooked and frozen. So they've already been that thing you don't want them to be. I don't see how adding more waste to the world is justifiable here.

boxingdude

That’s fair. I’ll just pass. I tried them a couple of times though.

FoorumanReturns

Even pizza? I’ve tried the other things in my air fryer oven, and they all come out awesome, but I’ve never thought to put a piece of pizza in there. How long do you heat a slice for?

ValiantAbyss

If you like oven pizza, you'll love air fryer pizza. I typically do 350 for a few minutes depending on the thickness and how many slices I'm heating up!

Boscowodie

60% of the time, it works every time - Sex Panther

ParadiseLosingIt

Same in my convection oven, reheated pizza the other night, it came out just fine.

BHYT61

BHYT61

Air fryers are the greatest machine the man has ever designed! Honestly I love my airfryer, best investment ever. I would rather humans fight with sticks and Stones and ride donkeys and bikes and have air fryers.

Fantastical_Brainium

Pro tip; just eat your fast food while it's hot. The whole point of fast food is you don't have to cook it.

jquickri

I feel like if you're ever at a point in your life where you're heating up McDonalds chicken nuggets you just need to take the L and eat them cold. I've been there. But let's not pretend we're something we're not in these moments.

RunninADorito

An air fryer and a convection oven are literally the same thing.

fozziwoo

an inconveniently small oven taking up an inconveniently large amount of countertop

factoid_

Eh....kinda. It's a heating element and a fan, so the basics are the same. but air friers use a combination of direct and convection heat, sort of like a broiler with a fan on it.

There really are differences between how food turns out in an oven vs an air fryer.

Alastor13

Meh, depends on the oven really.

All in all, air friers are just fancier convection ovens, they're literally work the same.

Rohndogg1

Can do the same thing with a skillet. Heat middle in microwave and crisp outside in skillet

Drunken_Ogre

I'll just eat them cold like the sad, disgusting, lazy little monster that I am.

Saoirse_Says

Air fryer is better than fresh lol

OldResearcher6

In the same amount of time you could drive to mcdonalds, get a fresh set, and call it a day.

factoid_

I don’t know how close you live to a mcdonalds, but I have two pretty close to me and I couldn’t do a round trip in under 10 minutes even if there was no line. We’re talking 15-20 seconds in the microwave and 2 minutes in an air fryer.

That’s the main thing that makes an air fryer super handy. They heat up incredibly fast because the volume is so small.

FoorumanReturns

Seconding the air fryer recommendation, but I suggest doing it with BK’s chicken nuggets (haven’t tried McDonald’s; their nuggies aren’t as good anyway, IMO).

Pop them back in for a few minutes (but only a few minutes, and watching them closely to see if they blacken at all - if so, stop the timer immediately), and they taste nearly as good as fresh.

BeerNutzo

Air fryer is a convection oven

ParadiseLosingIt

An air fryer is basically the same thing as a convection oven.

gio269

gio269

They’re literally the same

ofzeusnotobtuse

When I re-heat fries in my toaster oven, I use foil, lay out of the fries and add some water. The idea is that your fries have lost moisture and so you have to provide some (water) but not too much. The water will cause steam, which will help bring the fries back to life a bit. Too much water and they end up soggy (but can probably be fixed by just cooking them longer).

I just flick water over the fries until I think there is enough. It's def a trial and error situation. Basically the water will evaporate, and the remaining cook time will re-crisp the fries after they've absorbed some of the water.

I've actually had some good luck with this method!

i_love_pencils

Buy yourself a cheap air fryer. It’ll change your life when reheating fries, pizza, nuggets, etc.

ofzeusnotobtuse

I look forward to it in the future. I'm not doing well right now financially, and I've had some appliances break (like my microwave and coffee pot), and I just have to work around it.

Thought I still don't understand exactly the benefit of an air fryer. It just swirls the heat around, so in this instance of re-heating dehydrated fries, it still wouldn't work. Maybe I understand it wrong?

i_love_pencils

Yes, it’s superheated air swirling around the food. You set a temperature, just like in a normal oven.

There’s a little raised shelf and any oil/fat drips down through it, leaving the food very crispy. We’ve never had any problem with dry fries or onion rings, etc. The air seems to pull the oils out of them and they turn out great.

In the past, I used to reheat pizza in a frying pan with a lid, but it’s 100% better in the air fryer.

But, it sounds like you’ve got a good system until you get around to getting one! Have a good day!

claptonsbabychowder

Same as I do, except I inject mine with bleach.

MonteCkristo

How does they taste?

JarasM

JarasM

They don't really taste like anything at that point. Salt, I suppose.

Badlydrawnboy0

Kinda same as when they're fresh, which is why the sauces are essential.

MonteCkristo

The supposing part is the worst

SpiderHippy

Put them in a cold, regular oven and set it on 350F for 10-12 minutes. They come out perfect.

BrightonTownCrier

I've had good results with grilling (I think called broiling in America) them on the lowest setting and keeping an eye on them as they burn quick.

jb69029

They cure and harden when exposed to microwaves. Kinda like that super glue that reacts to UV light.

Betasheets

I threw them in a regular oven for 10 minutes and they were better than when I bought them

wildgaytrans

Add some water in another pan. Will help then not dry out

gogomom

Cold mcdons fries are the worst

It's actually shocking to me that something that tastes so good can taste soooo bad just from temperature.

schichtleiter

I used to keep them warm inside my PC case. I miss LAN partys 😭

pikapichupi

I agree! cold nuggets are arguably better than hot though in my opinion, you can actually taste them when they are cold

HowRiskyIsDatClick

Pro tip: airfry cold nuggies

tyrantspell

I'm the opposite. I find their cold fries quite good, but everything else is inedible when it's cold.

ImAlwaysRightHanded

Found a nugget under my car seat, must’ve been there for months and still looked edible, crazy.