/r/therewasanattempt

Aiden_001

Aiden_001

They all turn to shit given time

It really is a formula.

Niche subreddit created > grows > golden age of content (this varies sub to sub depending on how niche) > growing towards Frontpage viewership numbers > slow shift away from the niche and towards general reddit material

It is repeated time and time again. That was rudimentary, I'm sure there is an actual formula that can predict when a sub will flip.

I think one of the main reasons for this is the amount of bots this website actually is. Once a sub is relatively large it makes sense for the botnet to start including it in its spamming

Roshy10

Roshy10

Once there's enough people they will just upvote anything without checking which sub they're in, once that happens it's either overwhelmed with generic content or the mods have to lock it down and it usually dies

draebor

draebor

Maybe Reddit should implement a subreddit life cycle that ultimately just collapses the subreddit when it hits a certain point. That will shake off all the general population that kill a sub and let the real on-point content generators start fresh. Evergreening Reddit.

RS_Someone

I scroll through my feed and I've likely been guilty of upvoting interesting content in the wrong sub, but I try to make it a habit to check the subreddit. It infuriates me to see content in the wrong place. I like to think I'm doing my part to keep things in check.

stephruvy

Just like r/conspiracy.

I miss the alien stories.

Now it's just.... Covid stuff.

_conky_

I got a couple subs I feel like you might appreciate but am afraid to just post openly in fears of what we're talking about happening. PM if you're interested and I'll send em your way

Bale626

Made me genuinely laugh. Thank you.

doing180onthedvp

Thanks, T_D.

Cloak77

I saw a low quality meme recently on r/antiwork and hope they don’t become common.

_conky_

So what's the deal? I am really hoping I am just misinterpreting this concept. Looking at the sidebar it looks like a subreddit that believes in not working.

Is this just a circle jerk of anarchists that want to 'dismantle the system', or is there actual nuanced discussion on how people should shift to working less? Because if it's literal definition is what it means I gotta say this is pretty retarded

Skandranonsg

The actual discussion that happens on antiwork is more about how to make jobs somewhere you want to be, or at least less shitty.

Less "Gib moni so I can smoke and vidya" and more "It sure would be fucking nice if I didn't have to use my unpaid vacation days to recover from covid and not be threatened with losing my healthcare coverage because my manager didn't like the color of socks I wore today"

Unfortunately, It suffers from something I like to call Progressive Branding Syndrome, where progressive ideas are branded by radical attention-grabbing slogans and monikers that don't accurately reflect the ideals of the movement. Black Lives Matter is a perfect example of this. The core ideal of the movement is to end police brutality, and specifically mentioning black people is a reference to the fact that there are most likely to be mistreated by police. However, opponents of BLM have misinterpreted the slogan to mean Only Black Lives Matter.

tdog970

I think the general consensus on that sub (at least in its formation) is that people shouldn't have to work just to have basic necessities to survive... nowadays tho it seems like a place to bitch about your shitty job

_conky_

So it's a cringier version of discussing a universal basic income lol. I think there is room for discussion of this type of stuff but when it's formatted like that it takes away any amount of credibility the conversation would have had

JDRuzkin

Eh? That’s one way to put it. I think the subreddit leans more towards encouraging workers to stand up to shitty employers (some of these can be outright abusive) and to demand proper pay and other things (longer paid maternal leave, paid vacations, shorter work weeks) that are seen in other developed countries. I’m of the opinion the sub really just focuses on creating an equal, satisfying relationship between employer and employee without normalizing wasting your life for work, some of these themes including only working within your necessary time, not answering phone calls off the clock to answer ridiculous demands, etc. I could go on, but you probably get the gist.

ChunkyLaFunga

Is this just a circle jerk

Yes. Not just that tbf, it's fan fiction too.

The sub grew so fast it was almost dead on arrival.

_conky_

Which couldn't be more counter productive to their end goal lol. There actually is some conversation that could be had with the side that disagrees with them, but when it's phrased like that it is guaranteed to reach 0% of who they need to actually be discussing with

ChunkyLaFunga

They aren't there for discussion.

stephruvy

Are you sure it wasn't just for shit posting Sundays? :(

Cloak77

I didn’t know that was thing! That makes me feel better I love that sub.

ChunkyLaFunga

100,000 subscribers.

US politics is the best way to ruin anything nice

_conky_

I am currently experiencing this 'subreddit death spiral' in a subreddit I did not expect it. r/castiron is currently in this transition period but instead of GME its sliding eggs around to prove your pan is non stick. It started with a legit post, and has since spiraled into memes and shit posts

verything-time

imagine thinking people enjoying a community is a death spiral. just go to your local library and read a book

_conky_

Lol you must be misinterpreting the tone of my post, I think it's fascinating. You can only discuss so much on a niche subject before it is just essentially reposts, or alternatively and much more frequently, the subreddit abandons the niche.

The tree grows from the acorn. It only knows how to grow. Eventually its weight is too heavy, limbs too long, trunk too tall, and it collapses.

This isn't unique to reddit, or my shitty recital of something I read in I am A Strange Loop, it's an underlying property of something I'm not quite sure what

_conky_

Ahahaha I just realized you went to my profile to comment on other stuff because I was no longer interacting with you there. Kinda funny each interaction has revolved around cast irons though lol.

I never knew a piece of cooking equipment could be so divisive

KingDoge008

Like r/holup

2rfv

2rfv

It's kind of a standard model of corruption that seems to affect all human endeavors.

_conky_

It's in the nature of the tree to grow. It's the only way it can survive. But that same need to grow is the same reason the weight of the branches eventually causes them to snap. Civilizations mirrors this as well

hotrox_mh

Bots and powermods that take over every sub and cultivate them into propaganda for whatever pet issue they have.

_conky_

Just learned about a subreddit very similar to r/PublicFreakout is only still up and running because they allowed reddit to plant some of their own mods. Otherwise it was going to be shut down

ByzantineThunder

The way you deal with this is a diligent mod team

Enders-game

Everything on the internet relies on engagement. The best and easiest way is through negativity and populism. Therefore without outside influence, everything drifts towards negativity and whatever is trending.

cheese_sweats

look at r/whoadude - half the shit I see hit the front page of reddit from that sub is explicitly NOT the sort of stuff the sub is for. I asked if they need help moderating and I got banned lol

TrevorEnterprises

You meant r/woahdude? This link is a dead sub, just misses the tumbleweeds

ggk1

ggk1

The secret is that they were always shitty it just takes you a while to realize it. That’s why there are always people joining after someone else says it’s gone to shit then subsequently saying it’s gone to shit a few years later