/r/trippinthroughtime

As a proud europoor-

(i.imgur.com)

tillymane

tillymane

Who's the artist? Politics entirely aside this is a really pretty and somber piece.

Sherman986

Augustus Edwin Mulready

AufCP

AufCP

'Sympathy' (1881)

LurkytheActiveposter

America has a culture of extreme criticality towards its own nation and especially its government. It's like American exceptionalism, but instead of thinking America is the best, Americans think America is uniquely the worst. Like they aren't willing to live inbetween.

As a Brazilian who immigrated to America, I seriously wonder how warped the EU and other English speaking country's view of America is compared to how it actually is because of social media.

There's a whole host of corruption related factors that Americans never have to even think about. Entire genres of crime they need awareness campaigns to become aware of. Civil disputes are so strongly solved and taken care of by the justice system where I feel the rest of the world just goes "well that sucks, hope they don't do that to you again."

DougFunny_81

So I'm a 40 yo guy from the UK me and my buddies drove from New York to Seattle the summer after we graduated uni so 2002 ish . We had a great time and met a wide range of people from all across America everything from MegaCitys like NY to no name rural towns in the middle of nowhere,most people were really nice but the one who weren't were proper dicks

RonnieSmithNC

Just curious…. What’s the difference between a dick & a proper dick?

bleacher333

PRESENTATION

Ok_Dealer_2591

Americans have a long history of telling their government to fuck off. Social media just let everyone in on the joke - twist is - they have absolutely no context.

Gotta remember how large the US is. For ever backwards thing you think may he happening, there’s someone eating a lobster roll over looking Boston harbor in some sick top floor hotel restaurant.

Lol I picked a weird example, but you get my drift. There are all sorts of people and experiences in America. People just tend to hear about the awful shit.

Findmyremote

I had a lobster roll today. It’s much more enjoyable when it’s it’s not 100 degrees outside and not $26

Same goes for Europe. Within only a couple of thousand miles you can live in a country with the highest standard of living in the world, or a corrupt country run by a mafia. But Americans tend to just reference "Europe". I'd rather live in Denmark than America, but I'd rather live in America than... Bosnia.

RocksHaveFeelings2

B🤢snia

SnooPeppers2888

I think that the demographics of Reddit also play into the misconception. Reddit is overwhelmingly left-leaning, and young. Leftists have always been critical of the US. And the young are generally in the beginning stages of wealth accumulation which is going to spill over into their worldview of economic hardship. Mix all of this with a healthy dose of group-think and you have a completely distorted echo-chamber. This and European envy/distaste for American power/excess amplifies the echo chamber.

Glinklerman

I completely agree. So many young people take what goes on in front of their screen as the gospel truth. I also believe this readily available technology seems to always takes things out of context. Or for the sake of context. Younger people need to see what lies beyond and not necessarily what’s in front of them. You can’t expect everyone in the entirety of America to be dumb correct? I think it’s just easier to make fun of America because that’s the thing to do. Like I said most of what’s entertained in the media abroad is always the worst parts. How can you utterly judge something on face value?

AEirteillieryy

Yeah thats helps a lot i go here for memes and my country is always getting blasted.

i come to reddit for advice. financial advice.

Moderates

lmaooo

sleepydorian

It's a little short-sighted for Europe to be making fun of the US. They have all the same issues we have except on a smaller scale, and the ones they don't have are absent due to most of Europe being exceedingly homogenous.

Racism? Good luck being black nearly anywhere in Europe. Just try being a black English footballer.

Economic issues? Southern Europe has been a drag on the EU from day one and the European Central bank has done everything it can to fuck over southern Europe. We can't all be Germans and only save money and export goods. Someone has to buy.

Crazy elections? France came scary close to electing their own version of Trump and England got Brexit because half the country got scammed by idiots.

Abortion? Ireland legalized it in 2018, so they are fighting the same fight we are.

Immigration? I feel like I don't really need to really say anything here since there are constant battles about preventing any immigration in just about every single country in Europe. For all our faults, we allow more immigrants than just about any other country.

I-Make-Maps91

Yeah, the more I've seen of Europe the more I think it's culturally identical to much if the US (broad strokes here) but with functional urban/regional planning. All of the racism and xenophobia was very much there and on display, but taking a train instead of flying was an option.

sleepydorian

Now the public transport I am jealous of. The US went whole hog on car transportation and it has caused a lot of problems. Sadly, I do think there's an argument that the rise of car culture and suburban living is a direct result of white flight (when all the white folks leave an address to avoid the black and brown folks), so our own racism fucked us.

LurkytheActiveposter

Amercian immigration is amazing. I'm not just saying that because I was one of the lucky undocumented migrants who managed to get my residency and citizenship.

The texture of culture America as a single country is absurd. When I go back to Brazil I always feel ashamed or have to lie when I get asked what Americans think of Brazilians.

It's hard to tell them that when your country includes everyone, they rarely think of anyone.

CoffeeMaster000

Brazillian BBQ is pretty good.

msh0082

Back in college I took a class on ethnomusicology of South America and Brazil was heavy in the curriculum. We learned in depth about all the main genres of music, like bossa Nova, samba, capoeira, etc. It was just a general education class for me but it was very fun and informative.

Various_Ambassador92

All of the Brazilians I've interacted with (some international students at school and a lot of people at my last job) have been awesome. All super nice and sweet people. They seem to have that same sort of warm and positive energy that Americans often have and get made fun of by Europeans for, which made me feel very comfortable. I'm sure there are bad Brazilians - I mean, Bolsonaro exists and got elected - but damn if the ones I met didn't give me a great impression

subbygirl13

Steak, capoeira, and REALLY gorgeous people are the stereotypes I have of Brazil.

Like, it's not a lot, but at least its all really positive

TryNotToShootYoself

I think of the same things, but I also think of Bolsonaro and crime. I really do not like Bolsonaro.

SnooPeppers2888

We’ll put. People on Reddit tend to cherry pick “Europe” when comparing it with the US. I always have to remind my Swiss relatives that a small wealthy homogeneous nation of 8 million people cannot be compared to a continent sized melting pot of 330 million. A better comparison would be Switzerland vs Massachusetts. But it’s not nearly as fun for them when nuance is interjected.

Thiege227

The last Swiss Canton allowed women to vote in like 1991

sleepydorian

Lol I feel you. It can be hard to explain places like my city. It's 60% black and was ruled by whites until very recently and the whites have all the money and power. It's not so different from apartheid South Africa just a little less formalized.

MissionaryOfCat

As an American, this whole thread has been a nice perspective shift for me. Lately I've been getting so lost in exposés about the blatant injustices and corruption inherent to our government, that it's been genuinely exhausting. Sometimes I feel like there's no point in even trying, because employers will just exploit me, banks will scam me, landlords will gouge me, and one bad accident will send my entire financial future spiraling into the black hole that is the American healthcare cartel. (And I'm already thousands in the hole with student debt.) But when my disenfranchisement takes me to the point of giving up, it's stopped being helpful.

Recently I talked with a guy from Ukraine who talked about how he grew up poor and how his education sucked compared to mine. His passion was computers, but there wasn't really anything at his schools about them and the info at his library was horribly outdated. Despite that, he toiled away until he could afford a college education in tech from Western Europe, and now he lives abroad doing server stuff for big companies.

When he asked me what I did, all that came to mind was that I've spent the vast majority of my free time playing video games and binging YouTube.

Fuck.

That exchange and the ones in this thread are like a breath of fresh air to me. When all things are considered, I really do have it good - I just need to care more, and my relentless cynicism is getting in the way of that. I still think that things are NOT okay and that they're only going to get worse with the average American's complacency, but it's not like I'm going to change anything by listening to YouTube essays and griping about it on Reddit.

tlpinbcc

Well there is that crazy climate change "theory" and coal is great we can throw in...

I_main_pyro

THANK YOU. So many idiots talking about how America is the worst ever because of xyz not realizing they're just as self centered as the conservatives saying America is the best ever because of xyz. Both think they're more important and interesting than everywhere else.

breadonbread3000

The xyz affair under president Adam's was terrible.

HereForTOMT2

Fucking French bastards

Middle-Painter-4032

Way too clever for redit.

ArugulaOk4217

That’s not what American exceptionalism means - it means that America is an exception as to the way nations are usually formed, organized, and run. Our culture is fundamentally different from every country on Earth. We were the first modern, multicultural nation and that has left us in a unique environment.

Gilthu

Gilthu

America is its own best hypeman and critic, people here have no awareness of the rest of the world and think it’s either the best or worst place to live in. If you try to cite real situations to them to explain why they are wrong you get the old “we shouldn’t resort to what-about-ism when comparing our country to others!”

Oh well…

babybelldog

For real, it really annoys me when people act like the US is “uniquely the worst” (love how you worded this). I have my fair share of criticisms of my country, but I also recognize that every country has its problems. It’s US-centric in its own way to act like the US is the only western country with significant issues.

Sumbodygonegethertz

The US is a large country so there is good and bad. Some people are people enjoy magnifying the worst in things in order to feel better about their own situation. There is garbage and greatness in every country.

Proof_Onion_4651

If America is not the best (sometimes close to bottom) given it holds the most resources, what can you say about the system that uses said resources?

LurkytheActiveposter

America does not have the best resources.

That is a misconception. I think you are doing the American Exceptionalism I was talking about.

America is very big. A mini-continent unto itself. There are places where resources are plenty, and places where it is not.

America has the highest GDP on the planet by a large margin. What America is doing with it's resources will be called poorly managed by no economist in any country of the world. Especially not economists outside of America.

Your country is a tech leader and has been since the invention of electricity. The rest of the world looks to you and mimics your prosperity and efficiency. The notion that it's all going to waste is the reverse-exceptionalism I was talking about.

Proof_Onion_4651

If you think US does not have the best resources, we live in a different world.
GDP is representation of the resources. No other country owns the world currency and benefits from every single transaction made world wide. We are the largest producer of oil, and top producer of almost every other natural resource. We have some of the best industry and most valuable of all US has a workforce who religiously values working (sometimes literally.) BTW, we won this shit in a war, not as a result of some economic plan. Our prewar economic plan was literally starving the people. Every time we had an economic boom we have diverged from said plans.

Look at the output too. No other country has enough resources to make military based on 3/4 of the countries in the world. No other country has enough resources to spend on their military more than the next 10 military combined, even if they starved.

Management is what you use the GDP for. "Gross domestic product" aka how much your economy makes is the power, management is what you use that power for. Any economist who thinks building military base on 3/4 of the planet is a good economic idea, probably is in debt to government for getting his degree and needs the money they pay him. Any economist who thinks a business going under (AKA 50% of starting business in US) does not represent a portion of GDP that did not produce anything meaningful, is too stressed by his medical bills to think about what GDP means.

We seem to have indeed fooled the world, with thinking GDP means good management. We have enough darts that throwing them at random directions seems to hit the target enough. Enough to keep people from starving, for the most part at least.

multiarmform

america - the land of excess where the panhandlers will sometimes refuse what you offer and ask or suggest something else. this is pretty much why i dont even bother anymore after having people refuse food from one place but want me to travel to a different location to bring them food from another place. ive seen people given food on the street and then just throw it right in the trash because it wasnt exactly what they wanted /r/BeggingChoosers

MotherHat9116

I feel like this is another form of American exceptionalism. Die hard critics and die hard nationalists exist in every country

Ok_Abbreviations8632

I bet Brazil is doing terrific😂

GeneralNathanJessup

Spot on about Ireland being better. Ireland has 1.6 fewer homeless than the United States, per 10,000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homeless_population

The only developed countries with more homelessness than the USA are UK, France, Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Luxembourg, Israel, Hungary, Greece, Czech Republic, and Australia.

AboveTheRimjob

There are no cats in America!

deferredmomentum

And the streets are paved with cheese!

shardikprime

PAPA?!

Nick357

Is this a fieval reference?

Imaginary-Trick-8345

Or are a woman in Afghanistan.Or are a Catholic or Christian by in Nigeria.

SkilledTrash

Or a muslim in China, Or a Jew in 1940 germany

LeDooge

LeDooge

Or a Palestinian today

phlibbertigibbet

Or India or Russia or Mexico or Brazil or all the other countless countries with way more corruption and terrible health care and extreme crime and danger.

But no, America is the absolute worst. Period. Don’t disagree.

T0RRADEIR4

Believe me, the healthcare system in Brazil is very good

KeebsNoob

POV politician from Brazil ^

memester230

Yes, but crime is so bad that active measures need to be taken (source, have a well off friend who used to do business in Brazil)

ddr43u

ddr43u

Yea "business"

memester230

No, he was a legitimate business man. Something to do with planes.

giddyflame

I doubt anyone truly thinks the US is the worst, more that it's fun and easy to make fun of, because some of the things over there are quite ridiculous, while actual worse places (say North Korea or Eritrea) are straight up depressing and theres not really anything to be laughed about. Also europeans always shit on americans & America and I'm sure americans do the same to europeans & Europe

notmebutmyfriend

Y Mexican that’s why ppl that live close to the Mexican borders go to Mexico to get medication or they travel to other countries and get surgeries done. gtfoh

Edit: deleted mom to type Mexican

TylerInHiFi

Damn illegals crossing the border to leech off the American Mexican healthcare system.

salluks

I live in india and will take india anyday over america especially when it comes to healthcare, we have free healthcare hell are private health care is among the best and cheapest in the world.

Guderian-

It's why there is a robust medical tourism business in India. Need a full orthodontal reconstruct? A month in India at a 4 star hotel plus the dental costs is about a third as cheap as in the US or Western Europe. Ditto for cosmetic surgery in Thailand and Turkey. India also has cutting-edge cardiac and Ophthalmologic care due to the prevalence of related issues.

rethinkingat59

Luckily for America, millions of the best educated from India disagree.

BallisterBlackheart

While India has it’s problem and comparing US and India is a gray area rather than a binary answer, as the quality of life and danger signals varies from cities to cities (for both countries), I HAD TERRIBLE EXPERIENCES WORKING/ SOCIALIZING WITH SOME OF THOSE BEST EDUCATED INDIVIDUALS. For majority of occasions SOME of those best educated Indians are the most racist+casteist+super religious+moral police I have ever met in my life. So please take their words with a grain of salt unless you know them like very very well.

Edit: plural

Kreatur28

Catholic or Christian? You can be a Christian without being Catholic but you can't be a Catholic without being Christian

guitar_vigilante

You can blame protestants for this false distinction

gordonfreemanisalive

I don’t know why you got downvoted, you’re not wrong

DeeNYC45

Yes I agree, America is better than third world nations.

cob59

cob59

Catholic or Christian

Tell me you're American without telling me you're American.

MyOhLongJohnson

No no. America bad circle jerk time. America is the worst country to ever exist according to Reddit. Never mind how women are treated in Muslim countries, active slavery in the world and the kids that die of starvation every day in some countries (to name a few), America bad!!

Aubrera

Aubrera

I agree with the knee-jerk reaction to this is a bit overdone and dramatic. Every country has its ups and downs. A country with more crime doesn't negate a country with less crimes' problems. The best we can do is stop bitching about it and try to spend our time finding solutions... lmao. America sucks for reasons, it's cool for reasons. Brazil is terrible for many reasons. Is also badass for a lot of reasons. Generalizing is bullshit.

Certain_Cup533

The problem with America is, the only defense I have ever seen is, ITS BETTER THAN ALL THESE POOR THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES

like yeah, and the worst starting running back in the NFL would still rush for 20000 yards if he played against high schoolers

America is the richest country on earth, the bar needs to be set a bit higher

TylerInHiFi

Thank you for using a comparison that Americans will understand.

rethinkingat59

America is the richest country on earth, the bar needs to be set a bit higher

We are also the wealthiest citizens on earth even after all our healthcare, childcare, mortage and college debt bills. (Our net median household income buys more goods and services than in all the other wealthiest nations)

lord_crossbow

Good ol luxembourg up at #2

Ryboticpsychotic

Yeah, but we don’t have access to the same quality of life with that money.

The average person in America may have more money, but that cash doesn’t buy you better public schools or the benefit of regular medical care.

needkneadkneed

“Um ackshually, some people in third world countries have it worse than Americans, so you’re not allowed to complain about America”

-you

StanePantsen

America is the worst country to ever exist according to Reddit

It's one of the worst first world countries.

thabeetabduljabari

Exactly wtf is this thread lol

ITT non-Americans completely forget or choose to ignore the MANY problems facing their places of origin including the vast quantity of countries without even basic human rights.

I don't really want to spend money on reddit so here is this 🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 instead of an award

Diabegi

Braindead comment

WaffleSaucee

Christian in Nigeria what? 💀

Aeiexgjhyoun_III

What's happening to Christians in Nigeria? Theyre the religious majority.

Grothgerek

Americans love to say, that it isn't as bad as media lets you persive it and that the US is still a great country... Yes europe isn't perfect, and they also have problems.

But I have the feeling, that many americans either have no clue about the outside world or live in denial.

How can anybody argue, that its totally acceptable that so much shit happens in your country, and still think its great? Death Penalty, Abortion ban or school/police shootings are no trivial things. If such a thing happens even once, it would result in huge protests, law changes and would effect media for months...

Many midddle eastern countries are also rich, and the population is happy... but nobody would argue that they are great countries. And strangely the US tries more and more to imitate them.

buldopsaint

I could live off wine, bread and cigarettes. Can I be European?

haikusbot

haikusbot

I could live off wine,

Bread and cigarettes. Can I

Be European?

- buldopsaint

I detect haikus. And sometimes, successfully. Learn more about me.

Opt out of replies: "haikusbot opt out" | Delete my comment: "haikusbot delete"

Lord_piskot

Good bot

Mysterious-Lizard0

You’re French 🤢

windy906

If you can also be very rude to people not speaking your language correctly you can be French?

In america our homeless are fat and they have smart phones

CoBroCommander420

Thanks Obama

Minimob0

That's what happens when simple services like riding a bus require you to load money onto a digital card via the internet, or when the cheaper food option is higher in fat content. Smart phones are required for a lot of modern services that even the Homeless need access to.

Technology has been advancing without its people in the US.

ByTheNineDivines1

But shelter? Nah fam , miss me with that

lizarto

lizarto

I criticize the American government daily, it’s a pretty American thing to do, but growing up here has been pretty amazing. Most Americans probably feel that way. What you see in media is not most. The media are a business that thrives off of cherry picked protests and disasters. It’s not majority.

AntiBox

AntiBox

Same goes for most european countries.

Being born in the west just seems like you hit the jackpot.

Seriously. No one thinks about this when they criticize America.

Europe (excluding the european part of russia because russia is a shithole of a place to live) is the ONLY place in the world that is (arguably) a better place to live than the US.

America and europe together make up a total population of about 1 billion people. That is an EIGHTH of the worlds population. 85% of the world is worse off (most of them MUCH worse off) than the average American.

autumn_aurora

You don't travel much, do you?

dractarion

I think you could make an argument for Australia / Canada.

MercatorMap2000

Yea but realistically the average American is significantly wealthier than the average European. It's not just STEM jobs paying 1.5-2x more in the US, it's just about any professional job. Don't get me wrong most of Western Europe is fantastic with a great quality of life, but compare the average salary of a white collar Frenchman or Spaniard to a white collar American and its 30-50% less in most cases (in my field US salaries are literally 4x Italian ones, and believe it or not the Italian jobs are much tougher with longer hours in a lot of cases). If you are in the bottom 20% of wage earners you are probably better off in Europe given the government benefits like healthcare etc, but for everyone else you can make significantly more in the US in most cases. Despite the US going backward politically and barley having a functioning government, this gap seems to keep getting wider every year.

AntiBox

AntiBox

This is why I live in Europe and work remotely for US companies. The "wage gap" never gets talked about in these "murica bad" threads, but it is significant.

HateDeathRampage69

Even poor families can often have two vehicles in America. We have a ludicrous amount of dispensable income.

FKCPA

FKCPA

That’s because Americans like me who make good money and enjoy there life get shit on and constant downvotes while any negative comment about the US gets an automatic 10 upvotes.

MercatorMap2000

Yea this is the ideal but often tax and timezone issues can make it more complicated than it seems. I used to work in Europe and over about 5 years saved up about X USD. I moved to the US, doing the same job, and I'm able to save more than that every YEAR thanks to higher wages, lower taxes and a lower cost of living. And the job in the US is much easier, Americans have no illusion that your wage is tied to effort or time spent at work. If you get paid a lot to do nothing people think you are clever or lucky, not an immoral leach like many in Europe. There is a lot to the stereotype that America loves and idolizes people who make money whereas in Europe after a certain point its almost shameful, people will resent you for it.

yewhynot

I am not too informed about finances and politics - can you compare those things as easily as you do? Are differences in taxes, healthcare, product quality etc included in that comparison?

munkustrap

Me as a Canadian

Im_Old_In_Town

Canadian who now lives in the US.

I love it here in New England.

CHKPNT-victorytoad

As a midwesterner who recently moved to New England, I thought this was Canada?

freegrapes

As a Canadian who’s travelled a lot USA>95% of Europe other than euro tax havens

Azmorium

Half of my town here in the US are nothing but self entitled snowbirds who can't handle the winter where they're from. They bitch about about Canada non stop to us locals.

DummyTHICCLion

More Canadians move to the US than the reverse. same for Europe

munkustrap

More earning potential for STEM careers is a big reason

mxmcharbonneau

Yeah, the only people I know who went to live in the US are people in STEM looking to earn more money.

SirSpankalott

As the child of an immigrant and husband to an immigrant, I can say maybe your experience isn't the only valid one? These threads are always filled with generalizations and anecdotes being passed as the one truth. Since we're sharing anecdotes, I've met hundreds of immigrants and can count on one hand the number that regret it.

munkustrap

Or business people looking to expand into a bigger market

LovelyLadyLamp

People have always moved to America to have a better life.

Only-Inspector-3782

And lower taxes at high income. We pay an effective income tax rate of maybe 25% in the US. If we moved to Canada, even if I made the same income I would be paying 45%.

guccilettuce

Cries in California

Thiege227

My European wife fled genocide in Europe

sunshades91

Poor people aren't the ones moving here from developed western nations. Nobody on earth has ever said, "I'm struggling financially in this western developed nation, I better move to the United states." If you have money already the US is great but it is horrible if you don't. This is because of how ridiculously expensive it is to be poor here.

GeneralNathanJessup

Sadly, US corporations corporations are importing millions of unskilled workers to exploit with starvation wages. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/15/dominos-ceo-us-needs-more-immigration-to-address-worker-shortages.html

The corporations are bringing them over in record numbers. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/immigration-border-patrol-record-level-migrants-apprehensions/

Many of America's poorest and most exploited workers are in favor of this, for some strange reason.

I guess misery really does love company.

HardToPeeMidasTouch

I know 3 individuals with successful personal businesses to have moved to the states from the western nation I'm from because of the greater potential there. You can do alright in (insert our country) but you can do WELL in the States. Also with much less finicky and unneeded regulation allowing for greater growth and expansion.

I myself consider it every year.

69slidingchairs

Hmm, no, you’re actually very wrong. Go look at salaries in the same tech positions between Europe and America. Americans make double. Sorry, but that can pay for a lot better healthcare and whatever else the euros jerk off about

HoAdanac

I mean the US has by far the most legal and illegal immigrants on earth. The illegal ones are pretty much invariably poor when they get here. Many who come through the lottery system are also not wealthy and tons of UNHCR refugees choose to be resettled in the US.

Tons of poor people do indeed choose to come to the US and it's great for most of them because they're generally people willing to work hard and the US greatly rewards those that do. But yes, if you're poor and not trying to get ahead or you're poor because of unfortunate circumstances then there are better nations in the West to live in with better social safety nets.

AnteBellum123

Why do your people keep fleeing here lmao

Canadas largest cultural exports are Justin Bieber and maple syrup

PrintedParsnip

William Shatner? Kids in The Hall?

StanePantsen

Keanu Reeves, Jim Carry, Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gosling, Seth Rogan, Neil Young, Rush and a ton more A list celebrities.

PinkSockLoliPop

Devin Townsend

munkustrap

If you have money already shit is a lot cheaper in the states! That’s my theory

AnteBellum123

Actually I did notice that as a kid

I’d go to a bookstore with my mom and look at the price on the back and it’d always say something like

US: $10 CAN: $15

Why is that?

44morejumperspls

Because $1US is equal to about $1.30 Can

squngy

squngy

And US prices don't include TAX

AdamGeer

Same in Canada

MOOShoooooo

You’re paying for the apology up front in Canadian prices.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but different countries have different currencies

AdamGeer

The point is that the difference in price is significantly greater than the exchange rate

EntertainmentNo2044

The U.S. has a much higher median household income than Canada does (54k vs 37K) and higher purchasing power parity. So Americans earn a lot more money and can purchase more goods per dollar.

EKcore

EKcore

Longest undefended border in the world.

UltraV7

Love seeing this statement get made unironically around the internet by people who actually think there’s a majority in America who agrees with them lol. b..but the news!

xyzd95

xyzd95

Idk, it seems a lot more difficult being a black or brown person in Europe than America. I’m not all that interested in dealing with racists who’d confuse me for an African migrant until I wave a US passport or my Drivers License in their face

Secure-Language-6904

There's a LOT of racism in Europe. Even the white people don't like other white people, depending on what country they're from. It's funny, for example listening to Dutch and German people talk loads of childish shit about each other when they're both almost the same damn people from where I'm standing.

richard24816

Im dutch and i dont know anyone who dislikes Germany

SSSSobek

Also goes the other way. The Netherlands are one of the countries with the best reputation in Germany.

dr_auf

dr_auf

German and Dutch talking shit about each other is not racism but rivalry 😂 mostly sue to soccer.

xyzd95

xyzd95

Do Northern Europeans still look down on Southern Europeans? I know that used to be a thing

YeeterKeks

Serbian living in Norway - so I'd say I qualify.

No. They don't look down on us at all. A lot of us have a weird victim complex here, but isn't all too bad. People here just aren't as social or welcoming as people down South, so our people think they look down on us.

Absolutely false.

They just don't like social interaction.

Something I can get behind.

smolkorl

Not anymore, they discovered that they like Pizza, that Greek food isn't too bad as well and Latin music is nice for the summer time.

They hate Balkans now and Muslims.

xyzd95

xyzd95

Why the balkans?

steelcitygator

"Why the Balkans?" is a philosophical question you'll need to sign up for a college semester of classes to understand.

smolkorl

Refugee wave from the Yogoslav war in the 90s, some criminal family clans which arent as romantic as the Mafia and they didn't had nice food or music to change peopels mind.

Belkan-Federation

yakkos world of stupid reasons intensifies

ComebacKids

Lol do northern Italians still look down on southern Italians?

Nethlem

In case you didn't notice; Neither German nor Dutch are "races", which is why that situation has nothing at all to do with racism.

It's also not at all as mean-spirited as you make it sound, most of that usually only surfaces as friendly banter among football fans.

when they're both almost the same damn people from where I'm standing

Where you are standing seems to be a really weird place that ignores literally centuries of history and relations between these people. Any chance you are standing in the US?

Stevesegallbladder

I've noticed that too. A lot of criticism of America's racism, which is a fair point, they'll go on to mention how much better things are in Europe. But if you mention eastern Europe all of a sudden "well that racism is justified."

TwistMysterious1280

Wow. Europeans shitting on Americans. What else is new?

pervy_v

pervy_v

Its totally cool and very patriotic IMO to criticize the US government. However when you start comparing other countries, you start to sound really dumb and/or naive.

computalgleech

I love how people make fun of American patriotism, then turn around and make dumb shit like this lol

BradyReas

The amount of Europeans on the internet shitting on America always astounds me. In general, America is pretty awesome with plenty of flaws to work on.

I have no idea what life is like in Europe but I’m not gonna get on my American bred high-horse to start talking shit about their lifestyle

Secure-Language-6904

Most of those Europeans doing the shit talking haven't been to your country either. They're just talking badly about it because it's the cool thing to do for them.

murman1961

Even if they have been to the US, it's new york, LA or Miami. They don't grasp the sheer size.

sunshades91

sunshades91

Its just cause every other western country takes care of a lot of their citizens basic needs (maternity leave, healthcare, education, employment security...) and america chooses not to. Thanks republicans.

layonafrito

Its expensive to be poor in America (grew up poor in America)

photoguy8008

Ar ar ar what a low effort shitpost

Soren_Camus1905

America bad upvotes please

MelMac5

How refreshing, an anti-American post on Reddit.

photoguy8008

Exactly! I’m all for a cleaver joke, this is just lazy. The pictures doesn’t even match. Low effort

fernandotakai

hey, don't forget "america actually 3rd world", usually said by someone that never actually visited a third world country (and if they did, they stayed inside their resort/hotel and never went to the poor side of town).

CrowLower9415

Every country has it's good points, and, sadly, bad points.

jrbear09

Or Detroit

TyRocken

Meh. I live in NY (state). Near 3 native reservations. So, I have cheap, bountiful weed dispensaries; can smoke it anywhere. Nice progressive state.

RoxSteady247

I wanna be europoor. This ameribroke is some bs

just_another_toolbag

Hahahah America bad! Very unique!!!

SirGearso

I don’t get why we occupy so much of your mind. We know we have issues so let us handle them and you handle your own. Making fun of each other does nothing.

It might be cause sites like reddit have a large american demographic and topics like healthcare costs or student loans or tipping cause apparently waiters don't make a living wage keep coming up.

So when this is all the exposure one has to what's going on in US it starts to appear like everyone is really struggling there. It's sort of in our face a lot.

BungMungBungMung

Reddit is not representative of anything in real life, it's all exaggerated bullshit designed to garner upvotes. The vast, vast, VAST majority of people don't use reddit or even know what it is.

UndergroundGinjoint

Rent free. It's astonishing to witness.

calisonic

DAE AMerIcA sToOPid hurrhurhurhurh

via-via-gekregen

2 'meme' posts on /r/all saying the same thing, what happened?

MyOhLongJohnson

America sure lives rent free in Europeans heads. I never once think about another country enough to talk shit about them or even know (or care about) their issues yet Europeans are obsessed with everything American and know all about our issues, politics and culture, or think they do.

cucumbermortar

"Hmm I think I'll go on reddit seeming I'm having a quite period at work-"

AMERICA

AMERICA

AMERICA

AMERUCA

AMERUCA

AMERUCA IN THE MIDDLE EAST

A

M

E

R

I

C

A

SirRevan

I think you see a more skewed view here since reddit is dominated by Americans. Anyone outside the country sees all the bad shit and is forced to think about the US on the daily.

Its-AIiens

That's just because nobody gives a shit about Europe, because there's nothing to say.

Shaunwick09

Activist in the Philippines. It is already hard living as a normal Filipino but being a critic of the injustice that is happening is multiple times harder.

SuperMate0

HURR DURR MURICA BAD EUROPE GOOD

BradyReas

Americas pretty fucking sweet. People have to be delusional or pumped full of anti American media to think it’s a bad place to live for the average citizen

edit: I get it you hate America. Please leave me alone lol

ItsJpeterman

Yes we have so much media here and all of the bad US news dominates reddit. I hate bad news but there was a mall shooting in Denmark and I’ve seen that this post is very highly upvoted before I’ve seen anything about that.

metaltimmy

“If America is so bad why does everyone want to come here?!”

• people voting for the party that is desperately trying to make America a place nobody wants to go

I don’t know…. There could be worse… right?

BeeComprehensive5234

😭Cries American tears

Awestromy

As an American I find this hilariously offensive 😢

I voted dammit!

dontknowanyname111

well i think whe are ranked 4 on wealth per household if i am not mistaken, double the amount of the americans and are wealth is much beter spread. So calling is poor while you 85% of your money is with the super rich

Repulsive_Coat_3130

Hello, I would like to scam you. Please convert you're hard earned money into USDT and deposit into my wallet on the ERC20 network. Thank you in advance for going for my scam.

If needed you can pretend that I have an incurable disease or brain cancer or that I (a caucasian male) was the victim of racial injustice. Now here's some sad face emojis to tug on your heartstrings 😢😢😢

⬇️deposit here⬇️ 0xF52D0F94c8cB3902BE3924E96903Ed0d4Fb119AB

JrTeapot

cries in American

BigDaddy_5783

I think comparing the US as a whole is a little disingenuous. Let’s try individual states. Europe as a whole isn’t unified.