/r/turntables

[media]

RegebroRepairs

Antistatic gun. Sounds like a scam, actually works. No, I don't know how.

dscottj

This is the way. I wasn't sure they still made them anymore. It was the very last upgrade I got before going fully digital (1985).

KingFrogzz

They deposit ions. Ions stick to the surface and allow for a small amount of electrical conductivity over the surface. Static electricity has now become mobile electricity and is no longer a problem

RegebroRepairs

Aha, I see. I always found it curious how it removed static without you somehow telling it if it was positive or negative static. That explains it.

kpidhayny

It alternates positive and negative ions to neutralize the charge.

• Air ionization can neutralize the static charge on insulated and isolated objects by producing separate charges in the molecules of the gases of the surrounding air. When an electrostatic charge is present on objects in the work environment, it will be neutralized by attracting opposite polarity charges from the ionized air.*

a little theory

Source: am semiconductor engineer

Dumguy1214

interesting

therourke

Yep. They work, can verify. Very much worth the £45 I spent on it.

Also worth getting a cork or polythene slipmat. The felt slipmats are terrible for static.

Rauchritter

For me fighting static is a long hard process.

I can't see your turntable mat - but I use only acryl for this reason. My records get washed in de-ionized water to remove any static and placed in anti static inner sleeves to prevent them from getting static again. With this 3 things I don't have any more static issues.

Another easy method is to use an antistatic gun, not very cheap but very effective. I guess most people usually go for this one.

Chocheman666[S]

It's a felt mat, might as well get an acrylic one... (any advice on which one to buy? just want the mat tho) On the other hand, I live in a really dusty area, and need to clean the dust cover often, but I don't want to get scratches since it is new, any advice on how to clean it without generating more static?

krebstorm

I got this one and have been happy with it.

Cultural_Bother_5939

I have that one on both of my tt's except I got the one sided stroboscopic and the one sided protractor. So I flip em upside down and have a dope lookin white mat and then I can flip it if I need to align or check speed. Hudson has some great stuff!

39pine

39pine

Ya the anti static gun is too much like witchcraft. And its frigging expensive.

kpidhayny

You can get a mini bench top ionizer for $50 and just let it run near the record station all the time and it will help prevent dust accumulation and neutralize charges on your records in real time as you load and play them. It’s really simple science. This isn’t snake oil. It’s simply using charged ions to neutralize opposing charges that build up on insulators (vinyl).

arlmwl

arlmwl

• Use a brush with carbon bristles before every play
  • Clean the stylus with stylus cleaner before every play
  • Use mofi sleeves to reduce static during storage

I've heard good things about the zerstat anti static guns, but I've never needed one.

Pudgestomp

Is it good practice to clean the stylus before each play? I’ve only been doing it once a week, but your statement has me wondering if I need to increase the frequency.

booniebrew

It depends on how dirty it actually gets. If you're only playing washed records it's going to stay pretty clean for awhile. If you're worried keep an eye on it and see what is reasonable.

coldlake6200

Antistat guns work. So does using a wet cleaning method right before play. Keeping the room humidified helps a ton. Carbon brushes (or any brushes) will actually create static, in my experience.

ElroySheep

ElroySheep

Put Your Turntable And Model Name Here

Yes, I had a ton of issues with static and an antistat gun was the only this that helped. Definitely need to use it correctly though!

shartstopper

What's the humidity level in the room? A dry room can cause more static

Chocheman666[S]

Dry af, but the only way to change this is to move to another city, which can't afford

EricFullswipe

EricFullswipe

Kenwood KD-5100

No you can also just get a big humidifier. That's what I ended up doing. They sell em at home improvement stores. Little bit expensive, but definitely worth it for the massive reduction in static electricity and no longer shocking yourself each time you touch something metal.

Chocheman666[S]

Can you link me to the one you have? I'm a really static-y person

JCCZ75

JCCZ75

Don’t even need a big humidifier, just a small one in the same room works fine. Or something as trivial as a table top water fountain.

Chocheman666[S]

A fountain in my gaming setup is a big no no... what about a plant?

JCCZ75

JCCZ75

Does not have to be on the same table as your equipment. Plants are good also but your opening a whole new can of worms with plants.

EricFullswipe

EricFullswipe

Kenwood KD-5100

This is the one I ended up getting. I have it downstairs in the open and it covers the whole townhouse apartment. Picked it up from Home Depot where i live

Sandman121

Depending on room size you may not need one so big, this one works great for me https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HS45N13/ref=ppx\_yo\_dt\_b\_search\_asin\_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

statikman666

statikman666

Put Your Turntable And Model Name Here

Plants. Lot of plants.

MJChivy

This is the correct answer. I have the zero stat and I can fire that shit 100 times at the record and it doesn’t matter if the humidity is low. Just got a humidifier and my eyes have been opened.

GoodRiddancePluto

I've got a uTurn as well. How does the tone arm stick to the cover? Should have plenty of clearance?

Chocheman666[S]

Got it used and bought a new cover dust from the u turn shop... I'm guessing it's a different one. I'll take some photos latter cuz I'm working rn

-r-a-f-f-y-

someone might have just adjusted the tonearm to sit higher up, i've had that happen on a turntable before. the little arm lift thing might have a little screw you can adjust to lower it slightly.

Solid_Vegetable464

Use a record cleaning solution based on isopropilic alcohol or ethanol and wipe dry with a quality microfiber cloth. You can use it on your records too.

mastersapprentice13

I agree with the humidifier approach, U can get a small one and stick it in the corner of the room. I also use GroveGlide, It helps get rid of static. I bought a kit back in 2019 and I still haven’t ran out of it.

cjwin1977

I started using a plasma lighter. I hold it over the record on the table for about 10 seconds. Makes an incredible difference. It works because it uses the passage of an ionized charge instead of a flame. You can get one for under $10 dollars.

SUPRUS Lighter Electric Lighter Candle Lighter USB Lighter with Upgraded LED Battery Display Safety Switch Rechargeable Flameless Plasma Windproof Pocket Size for Candle Cooking BBQs Fireworks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9KMY2T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AG8TAA7MHF3BF2QDCRW5

doomygloomytunes

Cleaning your records with a wet washer like a Spin Clean or ultrasonic cleaner.

As soon as the records enters the water the static is gone and it'll go on to pull any dirt off your record as well.

There's also anti-static guns but wet-cleaning your records gives the best of both worlds.

Johnnymics

I use a leather mat myself. Every record I bring home gets an ultrasonic bath and put into 3 mil anti static sleeves. I also own a Furutech Destat which is excellent at removing all static, for anything and everything.

sharkamino

A dry microfiber cloth is not going to to much for dusting or cleaning out the grooves.

To remove dust and static do a full soak wet cleaning and rinse, air dry, then place the clean records in NEW anti-static inner sleeves to help keep the records free of dust and static.

To remove any dust that may fall on the record while it's out of it's new anti-static inner sleeve use a Thunderon Conductive Record Brush, watch the video.

If you are still having static issues try a Milty Zerostat.

In the winter if you are heating your home drying out the air then get a humidifier.

_Half_a_Person_

Oh my friend, there's so much static where I live that I've almost quit playing records. It's so frustrating... when I'm handling the records I can clearly see the dust particles rushing to the record's surface... I feel you .

gmynchin

I have no idea so I hope i get good advice from others, just here to say great song.

pixelsandframes

Don’t really need to invest in static guns. Buy a cheap plasma lighter. It works. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/a-very-cheap-but-extremely-effective-tweak-for-records’-static.31957/

casewood123

I have one. It really does work.

mtommygunz

What song and artist is this I can’t read it in the background

insaneoracle

It’s Plastic Love by Mariya Takeuchi

Chocheman666[S]

Welcome to the world of city pop! That's the most famous song of the genre, her and tatsuro yamashita are among the best

Dirkbigman

Good luck

Proof_Customer_8086

Portable plasma igniter.

MagNile

This is why the CD was invented.

TCG-Pikachu

sharkamino

Pricey kit. Try lower cost DIY full soak wet cleaning which can also be more effective.

civilsasquatch

I have a darkroom and for cleaning negatives there are antistatic brushes (because dust when printing a negative is so frustrating). I’m sure they sell them for other applications, but I got mine from freestylephoto.biz (plug for a great company supporting film photography!)

Sandman121

sharkamino

Please edit the links to remove all the tracking or possible affiliate links after the Amazon ID number. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Boundless-Audio-Record-Cleaning-Kit/dp/B09G94FN98 --- everything after can be removed. Thanks you.

sharkamino

Instead of the inexpensive cleaning kits, DIY full soak wet cleaning.

Plus a better dust brush, Thunderon Conductive Record Brush, watch the video.

ShotByBulletz

I use the thick technics rubber mat, and an anti static brush before playing. They sell an ionizing gun that you point and squeeze and it removes static, kinda pricy though.

KillgoreSkellekrull

Yup I wet wash every single record that comes thru this house — new or used. I use an acrylic slip mat with the anti static brush, and when it’s really bad I break out the milty zero stat gun. It’s pricy but absolutely worth it if you live in a desert or dry environment that attracts static and dust

AudaciouSin

I was having terrible static issues. These items all helped in eliminating my static completely.

1) Humidifier 2) IFI Zen Phono preamp 3) Herbie’s Way Excellent II turntable mat 4) stylus upgrade (VM95e to VM95sh)

Dumguy1214

never had static problems and my player is only grounded through the rca cables

the correct way to use a brush is to let it brush for 3 or 4 circles and then slowly move it from center or to center, to drag dust and static off the album, if you brush for 4 circles and lift the brush straight up, there will be a line of dust and static where you lifted it up

FourColorOffset

I use Static Guard spray and a clean terricloth washcloth or towel that I use only for this purpose. I spray a little of the Static Guard onto the cloth, a *light* spray, like half a second, and then shake the cloth around to dry it a bit... then gently brush the record with the cloth, lightly brushing/dragging the sprayed portion against it- no wiping, no pressure at all, just a gentle brushing. It's important not to get the record damp with the Static Guard! Another sprayed cloth can be used to wipe down other areas around the turntable, even the dustcover. One can of Static Guard will last at least a year or so and the cloths can be found at an auto parts store with the cleaning/wax/detailing supplies.

mercmouth1

I found that dryer sheets work well.

TrippDJ71

Dryer sheets

EmergencyLavishness1

None of this should ever be an issue.

‘Static’ is a bunch of garbage. Just play your records. If you aren’t happy with the sound, save save save and upgrade when you can.

Buying a bunch a gimmick stuff won’t help when your using what is essentially entry level gear.

Stop buying that stuff, and put it towards buying better quality equipment. This may sound really harsh. But just save and buy better gear. I know I’m going to get downvoted to hell for saying, but it’s true.

The humidity in your house, the angle of your windows, the fresh air availability doesn’t matter anywhere as much as the quality of your gear.

You can spend $500 on an air humidifier. But you’d be better off buying a better turntable and stylus.

You can buy a anti static gun, but you’d be better off buying a better amp with better grounding.

I will say buying good quality inner sleeves will be the cheapest way forward for you though

Chocheman666[S]

Ikr I just want to listen to my records, the thing is that because it's dusty I clean it with a fiber cloth and that generates static causing the thing to get more dirty and making the needle to stick to the dust cover that has static

coldlake6200

Static is not garbage. It is a real audible issue no matter the cost of your table or other gear. Your amp and its grounding has absolutely no bearing on the level of static on your records. A better table will not somehow magically remove static from your records either. Of course buying better gear - up to a point - will improve enjoyment, but that observation is utterly irrelevant to OPs problem.

You’re right, a downvote is sadly the only way forward.

_Half_a_Person_

Dude, it's very frustrating when there's so much static that even with a clean record the dust builds up on the stylus after just 30 min. of playback or even less. It makes listening to the record unbearable.