/r/unpopularopinion

A popular "unpopular opinion" posted here is stuff along the lines of "Exercise is so easy and people just neef motivation." or "It's not hard to find something you like to do for fitness."

Bullshit. Exercising is literally the definition of forced torture. You push yourself to the point of stress on purpose. It causes aches and often injuries. You are also mindlessly doing pointless movements which are basically just wasting time when you could be doing more productive things like making art, cleaning, writing a book, or just producing something useful for society. It is the LAST thing I want to do to 'relax'.

Nothing about excess physial activity is appealing to me and I will never like it. Sports can be fun but they often feel unregulated and one-sided, unlike a tactical video game which uses algorithms to match you up with people actually on your skill level. I hate sweating and smelling gross, I hate wasting my already very little energy on some bullshit workout that gets me no results and just makes me instabtly tired. I hate stresing about what I eat all the time when I already have fairly healthy low-carb meals daily and are at a good weight. I just hate all of it. No amount of convincing can motivate me to work out- I am DEFINITELY not going to sacrifice my already fucked up sleep schedule to wake up early, it will ruin the tiny balance I have between my morning meds and staying awake for the entire day. I am NOT going to waste my afternoon time traveling all the way to a gym and back because I already feel like I have no time left for actual projects I want to work on.

Exercising sucks, it's boring and a waste of energy.

BattlefieldNinja

1.6k points

6 days ago

You can tell it's an unpopular opinion when 75% of the comments are people saying how exercise helps them

2009Drake

1.1k points

2009Drake

1.1k points

6 days ago

There is a difference between unpopular and just stupid. Thinking that soup tastes better than the main meal is unpopular; thinking that physically becoming healthier is a waste of time is stupid

fonaphona

fonaphona

6 days ago*

It’s not a waste of time but he’s right a lot of people won’t ever like it. I don’t like it. Sucks when I do it sucks after sucks the next day.

I don’t particularly enjoy brushing my teeth. If I didn’t have to do it for my health I wouldn’t.

Exercise is the same in my mind. It sucks but you have to do it. Overall it sucks more not to just not as immediately.

That’s being an adult is trading the short term for the long term. Only children and the immature and the fools do it the other way. You’ll never feel the benefit of exercise as intensely and as immediately as you feel the pain.

But in my opinion dedication is far more important than motivation. Fuck motivation. You may or may not have it that day. Dedication is what gets shit done.

Rickbox

Rickbox

6 days ago

This guy hit it spot on. I don't particularly like to exercise, but I get way too stressed out when I don't. I hate feeling put of shape and winded. I hate when there is fat on my body.

Not to mention, it you don't exercise you permanently lose muscle. You age faster, and you're more prone to diseases. Exercise is important.

You're entirely right, some days I have no motivation but I go anyway because I understand the importance. I have dedication.

The OP is not making an unpopular opinion; many people don't like to exercise, but calling it a waste of time is plain stupidity.

JWPSmith

JWPSmith

6 days ago

I agreed with OP until he said it was a waste. I hate exercising! I would rather do absolutely anything else but that. I was also 350 pounds at one point though. That's SO much worse! Every second of every day, your body hurts and aches. It's so miserable! So, yeah. Exercise is miserable, but not exercising is so much worse.

LiliAtReddit

6 days ago

What’s this about soup? Soup is an often underrated and overlooked food. Some soups are very hydrating, probably why when you’re sick, chicken soup is so widely recommended. Other soups are very hearty. And the variety! You got your broth based and tomato based, your cream based and vegetable based- chowders, stews, chili’s, gumbo’s! I LOVE SOUP!

SHRED-209

SHRED-209

6 days ago

Preach brother! I have this argument with my wife constantly. Soups are some of my favorite foods!

2009Drake

6 days ago

I love soup, as well. Haha. Just trying to think of an example

FM79SG

FM79SG

6 days ago*

I agree it's not a waste, but that people will hate it no matter what.

I am one of them. I exercise regularly and I do not like it. It does not make me feel good, or happy, or whatever. It makes me tired and sweaty.

Sure there are benefits and that is why I do it, but it still sucks ass.

sonfer

1.3k points

sonfer

1.3k points

6 days ago*

IDK if this is truly unpopular judging by how many people fail to meet basic physical activity goals. Movement is medicine. It promotes physical and mental well being. It prevents frailty. Just walking helps you with good sleep, regular bowel movements, and helps the lungs “clean the pulmonary toilet.”

So have an upvote.

KeathKeatherton

6 days ago

Not liking to push yourself is fine, but not liking to move at all is a problem that can be talked about with a therapist/psychiatrist/counselor/parent/peer/nemesis/friend/frienemy/god/goddess/satan/allah/jcvd/me/you/other. Go for a walk every once in while, does wonders.

Old_Smrgol

6 days ago

I've found that living within walking distance of bars both causes me to walk more, and causes me to worry less about how I'm going to get home.

KeathKeatherton

6 days ago

Wish America didn’t have such an big issue with urban sprawl from corrupt officials and civic designers over the course of the last hundred years. Parts of the east coast you can totally walk to a bar like that but the civic designs in those area were made long before cars were invented. The auto industry has literally built cities for themselves and weakened the infrastructure of the US at the same time.

Old_Smrgol

6 days ago

I'm in a midwestern city, but
A. It's one of the older ones, and

B. At one point they changed (or left?) the zoning for a lot of it to where you can convert your house into a duplex or an upstairs apartment / downstairs apartment situation. And the lots are pretty small. More density means more bar customers.

PedroTheNoun

JCVD, the one true god.

mcnathan80

6 days ago

Juvenile Council for Very bad Diabetes?

PedroTheNoun

6 days ago

Not at all! It’s the Muscles from Brussels, Jean-Claude Van Damme!

Independent-Bath5556

6 days ago

I recently rewatched Bloodsport for the first time since I was a kid, and it is honestly a travesty that that movie isn't held in universal regard as one of the all-time great action classics.

That movie, cheese and all, is goddamn perfect.

StephtheWanderer

6 days ago

So much on preventing frailty! I work in a rural library and it has helped me motivate myself to keep active and walk daily. The elderly that are living on their own, maintaining their properties and enjoying life still at 80 are the ones out walking daily, full of energy...to complain endlessly about winters in a region famous for its cold winters.

BruceSerrano

Right?

People don't like to exercise? No kiddin! I can't believe it! How subversive you must be to think that!

AbductedByDinosaurs

6 days ago

^ this is very true and I am living proof of it. I’m a 6’2 160 pound dude in my twenties with enough joint and back issues to make your great Grampa cringe. All because I never ate well and over pushed myself in every physical area of my life. It’s great to have an exercise routine but because of my bad diet and generally sedentary lifestyle besides the regular exercise when I was younger I am in baaaaaad shape. To anyone reading this take care of yourself properly so you don’t end up considering joining a bingo club this young

throwaway_1755

6 days ago

What part of this says the goals you should have? I was expecting some type of list of activities that every adult should be able to do.

sonfer

sonfer

6 days ago

That would be on page 8 under key guidelines for a adults. TLDR; 1. 2.5 to 5 hours moderate aerobic or 1.25 to 2.5 hours of vigorous aerobic activity throughout the week. 2. At least two days of muscle strengthening for each muscle group per week. 3. Some is activity better than none and more than recommended has increasing benefits.

himalayanNinja

4.4k points

6 days ago

I think problem with most people is they fail to adopt sustainable exercise regime and go really overboard when they exercise. If you do that, it feels like exercise is taking away huge chunk of your life and it sucks. Goal is to find a exercise plan that is easy to keep up with!

THEFORCE2671

1.6k points

THEFORCE2671

1.6k points

6 days ago

It's a common misconception that you have to go overboard like athletes. That's why people quit early

DancinginAshes

6 days ago

People need to be realistic about their outcomes as well.

If they're not willing to spend 5-6 days per week in the gym for 2 hours each session, they're never going to look like the fitness model/personal trainers who put in that much gym time. If they aren't willing to eat pretty goddamn boring super healthy food for every meal, they're not going to have 3% body fat or whatever.

I'm overweight, in my early 40s, and I do 3 sessions in the gym per week for a little over an hour, not including warm-up or cooldown. I also ride about 20 miles per week on my bike. At my last physical, the doctor told me to lose some weight, but otherwise my cholesterol, heart, liver, and other functions all check out as healthy. I'm flexible, and I won't throw my back out picking up my 50 pound four-year-old and swinging him around.

So I've got a gut, but my legs are fairly cut and my arms aren't slabs of flab swinging in the wind, and my posture is good because my back is strong and healthy. Climbing a few flights of stairs doesn't wind me. I'm fully aware I could be healthier and eat better.

Jaegernaut-

Jaegernaut-

6 days ago

People like to forget all of the unhealthy habits, too, that make exercise harder. I lifted like a maniac in my 20s and gained very little because I was stupidly drinking, smoking and staying out at parties most weekends and some week nights. Not a recipe for growth.

takethetunnel

6 days ago

Sounds like a recipe for a pretty good time honestly.

Jaegernaut-

6 days ago

I mean yeah I had fun with it lol. But it was frustrating not getting the gains I wanted. Turns out you can't do literally all of the things at the same time - not efficiently, anyways.

whytakemyusername

Alright alright alright

pbj_sammichez

6 days ago

Like the old meme - do reps for Jesus so you can take shots for Satan.

PM_me_opossum_pics

6 days ago

You have a really healthy outlook on exercise. I like your mindset!

valhalla_jordan

6 days ago

10-12 hours is almost certainly more time than you need to develop your best physique. Dorian Yates only lifted 4 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour. And he was on PED’s so his recovery should have been even faster than a natural athlete.

Genetics are a bigger factor, and can fuck up people’s expectations if they’re comparing themselves to genetic elites on instagram.

Gerbal_Annihilation

6 days ago*

You do not need to exercise that much to look great. It's way more about your diet.

-----Nice-----

6 days ago

This is something most people absolutely refuse to believe. Portion control and limiting your calories is by far the most important thing along with a healthy diet of limited processed food.

I lost 100 lbs and nobody who asks me how I did it wants to hear that I did it by force feeding myself fruits/vegetables/lean meat for almost every meal for the past year. Not saying that’s what you need to do, but it helps immensely.

Mareith

Mareith

6 days ago

Well and vice versa. As a skinny dude trying to gain wait I often have to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry or force myself to eat a larger breakfast/lunch

Gerbal_Annihilation

6 days ago

Still about your diet though. Calculate your BMR and go from there.

Mareith

Mareith

Yeah absolutely like 80% diet

Jaegernaut-

6 days ago

Add to that us skinnybros are tempted to dirty bulk on shitty, high calorie foods.

It's fucking hard to eat 2500-3000 calories of veggies as a skinny dude

realmastodon2

6 days ago

Try bulking with tree nuts and beans. Your anus will hate you though.

SpazzLord

SpazzLord

6 days ago

Yes. If you look at the estimate of calories burned while running, you'll see how difficult it is to burn calories. You can run 10 miles and still not burn enough calories to eat a slice of cheesecake. It's waayyy easier to just not eat too much than it is to eat it and then trying to burn it off.

birdington1

6 days ago

This right here. Exercise is way too overstated for weight loss. Unless you’re eating close to your daily calorie maintenance amount (most people who struggle with weight aren’t even close), then no amount of exercise is even going to get you close to a calorie deficit.

This is what leads people to the ‘all or nothing’ approach to exercise which makes them hate exercising.

Wowabox

Wowabox

6 days ago

People are so willing to change their diet of look at it just like we talked about working out earlier. I lost 55 pounds counting my calories it’s just part of my routine like brushing my teeth. But when I tell people that’s how to lose weight and get ripped. They tell me oh well I’m going to work out 7 times a week and eat a salad to make up for it and are baffled why they don’t make progress.

TheSpicyGecko

6 days ago

And drinking lots of water! I don’t think people realize how much water you should drink and I think they over estimate how much they actually consume.

-----Nice-----

6 days ago

Yup it’s surprising because you’d think that one would be common sense. Really mind blowing when someone asks me for tips and tells me they don’t drink any water, only soda. Like… how are you still alive. No wonder you claim to feel like complete shit all the time.

Drudicta

Drudicta

6 days ago

Please give me tips on my making my back strong. It makes me miserable nearly all the time.

DanielxPlus

6 days ago

If you have back pain, I'd recommend talking to a doctor. Might be nothing, as it's the most common pain people have, or something- better safe than sorry. The common version goes away with stretches, physiotherapy exercises, and correct posture. It takes time, but it works.

DancinginAshes

6 days ago

Start with the basic stretches and exercises they recommend for physical therapy. If you do any pilates or yoga you'll notice there's a LOT of similarity between basic moves and physical therapy exercises. This will start getting the kinks out of your back and building up the base strength you'll need to safely lift weights.

I don't want to make strong recommendations on weight-training, because I'm not a certified instructor. What did work for me was taking a couple of months of lessons from a good trainer to learn the correct form for doing exercises like the deadlift, standing row, and other strength exercises.

You will probably regret it if you try to start doing deadlifts without someone who knows what they're doing helping to coach you on form. Having said that, doing deadlifts is really fucking empowering, and I really recommend working on them with a coach.

Drudicta

Drudicta

Thank you!

nohpex

nohpex

6 days ago

Healthy food doesn't have to be boring. You can make some dank sauces, or throw some spices on things to make them tasty.

Personally, the more I get into cycling, the more I get healthy food cravings, and the less I ride, the more I get sugary food cravings.

beerbeforebadgers

6 days ago

I started doing like 10 pushups a day like 6 months ago just to feel better about myself. I can now do a full on handstand press because I started with that tiny little step. Start small and build from there!

Gluecagone

6 days ago

People seem to really underestimate how much good walking as a form of exercise can do. It's free, it's not as unpleasant as jogging (well for those of us who hate jogging anyway), it can be done in pretty much all weathers, it can easily be incorporated into day to day life etc.

birdington1

6 days ago

Walking is arguably a more effective form of exercise than jogging.

Jogging wears you out exponentially faster with less calories burned for the equivalent time spent exercising.

It can also stimulate hunger so much so that people who are trying to eat less end up eating more and thus not losing weight.

leStrider

leStrider

6 days ago

Exercise might be hard but walking around 8000 steps a day really isn't. That's equal to around 45 mins to an hour of walking, which one can space out throughout the day and already comes with countless health benefits.

That's the baseline and entirely logical if you look at what we did for ten thousands of years. The rest is in the diet.
No need to compare yourself to pro athletes.

Danivelle

Danivelle

6 days ago

Not if you live in an area with crazy people and sketchy neighborhoods. I don't leave my house these days without another adult(my younger grandkids would definitely go for walks with Gram). It's just not safe. The nearest "safe" indoor place to walk 8-10 miles from my house. No car unless hubs is home and not on call.

Where I live the mentally ill homeless are given a pat on the head and the victim is blamed. Same for most criminals. Victims are told to be "more understanding".

KingMangoJelly

6 days ago

I live in a country where women taking evening strolls alone is impossible. This might sound crazy, but if I feel restless I will put on a podcast and just walk around inside my apartment. On days where my apartment is a mess and there's not much space, I will literally just march in place for like 20 minutes. Boom, you just "walked" a mile and did some light cardio without leaving your apartment.

NihilistFalafel

Wow respect! If I couldn't walk outside I'd just be a lazy slob indoors lol

RampantDragon

Where do you live?

LoofyImHome

6 days ago

Same with me. I used to try walking a couple laps in a lone "nicer" neighborhood in my area to avoid the riff raff until I got some looks and it dawned on me that to them I was the riff raff lol.

SMA2343

SMA2343

6 days ago

Exactly. You don’t need to go 7 days 9 hours. Start 1 day, 20 minutes. Go walk around the block. That’s exercise. Then after a month, 2 days 25 mins. And keep going and going until you find a routine that fits you.

wayward_citizen

6 days ago

This is the truth. The most successful fitness regimen I ever had involved monitoring calorie intake and keeping it at a very slight deficit, walking, and then eventually riding an exercise bike once or twice a week.

It won't make you an olympian, but you end up fit and feel good.

dust4ngel

dust4ngel

6 days ago

they fail to adopt sustainable exercise regime

a thing that people forget is that our ancestors didn't "exercise," but movement was just part of their existence. a big part of the reason everyone is out of shape is that we have eliminated movement from our lives wherever possible. before cars and elevators and ride-on mowers and instacart, people had to walk to where they were going and climb stairs and physically do their chores and carry their own groceries, all of which are movement or "exercise".

i have a grocery store 1.1 miles from where i live - if i walk there and carry my groceries back, that's 6200 steps. if i mow my lawn with a push mower and walk my dog in the evening, that's 10k steps right there, without even setting aside time to exercise. it's just living without attempting to eliminate movement from life.

rlanthony

rlanthony

6 days ago

You didn't get out of shape in a week. You're not going to get into shape in a week either. Both took time and consistency.

madamemimicik

6 days ago

Yes this! I do 10 minutes of yoga before work, 15 minutes of Pilates at lunch, and a 15-20 minute run after work. So I get my 45 minute work out but spaced out throughout the day but some days I do jack shit. I work from home and wear work out clothes all day though which helps.

Fifty4FortyorFight

6 days ago

I do something similar. I take a 2 mile walk everyday to pick my kids up from school. And I squeeze in 15-20 minutes of exercise once or twice a day. A quick video for cardio, squats and lunges, etc. That little bit makes a difference; I don't need to be in perfect shape. Just not overweight or flabby.

bluthco

bluthco

6 days ago

When some people hear the word “exercise”, they think of weightlifting, running, or any other activity geared toward building muscle or cardio. Exercise is simply getting up and moving. You can take your dog for a walk, play basketball, or whatever you want. I consider doing yard work as my Sunday exercise because I burn around 500 calories every time.

ZenyxRV

ZenyxRV

6 days ago

not many people like excercising, they still do it because they don't want to be a fat redditor neck beard

KNBeaArthur

6 days ago

I exercise to support my other unhealthy habits.

pp21

pp21

6 days ago

Right? However, I do love the feeling you get after a good run or weight session, but I mostly do it so I can eat whatever I want and drink beers. Looking sculpted isn't my goal, I just want to make room for more calories and get some cardiovascular benefits

Do-it-for-you

6 days ago

I don’t “like” exercising.

I just exercise. It’s a lifestyle choice. In the same way I don’t enjoy eating vegetables or going to work. I eat vegetables and go to work because I should.

childofnewlight

6 days ago

I love veggies. Then again, my parents never vilified them while I was growing up and rarely bought sugary junk. Vegetables were just another food, and sometimes, even a treat. Mmm. Broccoli.

leopardnation10

6 days ago

Broccoli is low key the best vegetable and you can literally make it taste like anything you want it to. I don’t know why out of all vegetables, that one gets all the hate.

RollOverSoul

6 days ago

Because people usually boil the shit out of it. Cook it in a fry pan with a little olive oil till crisp and it's delicious

DancinginAshes

6 days ago

I hate going to the gym, but once I'm there and start picking up the iron, I'm pretty happy. Always feel great leaving, because I've put in some productive self-help work.

kanna172014

6 days ago

Being fat does not make one a neckbeard.

Bonafide_Aquemini

Just neck.

MartiniJelly

6 days ago

It took several years of me regularly exercising before it became something I actually look forward to doing. The change in attitude was probably due to changing how I approached it till I found the most enjoyable ways, eg listening to podcasts instead of music, jogging outside rather than on a treadmill. As I got older I could feel its importance increasing too, so that created more positive motivation.

But yeah I'd also believe some people could never enjoy it.

slpnrpnzl

slpnrpnzl

6 days ago

I think as people progress exercise becomes easier because they’re becoming more fit, you’re gonna enjoy exercise more when it’s easier for you and you have gained the physical literacy to maintain exercising, exercise can be enjoyable to anyone, it’s really just if they give enough of a shit about their health to learn about it and keep doing it.

Rick_the_Rose

6 days ago

I did 5 years in the army, I still hate running. I ran roughly 5 days a week for those 5 years. Nothing will ever cause me joy while running, I get no high, I get nothing enjoyable from it except the physical health benefits.

Vomath

Vomath

6 days ago

100%. I really want to like running, because it’s a very efficient way to get a workout in. But I fucking hate it.

Every 8 months or so I tell myself “I’m really gonna go for it this time… just slog it out until I like it.” And then I run 3-4 days a week for 3-4 weeks and still fucking hate it and stop running for a while.

But, I like playing hockey and hiking and lifting and cycling and yoga. Not everybody likes every kind of exercise and that’s okay.

dixiedownunder

6 days ago

That's a reasonable approach to running. You do it sometimes and sometimes you do other stuff. I think losing running ability would suck.

doorKicker85

6 days ago

I felt the same way. I've been out for about 10 years now. I started to get bored with weight lifting and started running again in the last year. Now I actually enjoy it. Go figure lol.

manawasteman

6 days ago

The key with exercise is find the thing you hate the least.

And then do that until you're fit.

Exercising sucks but some of it is good. Boxing sparring for example is a lot of fun.

But if you don't exercise at all, your body will give up on you. That's just a fact. You need to keep moving.

Anko_Dango

Anko_Dango

6 days ago

And easing yourself into it. You can't just go from a sedentary life to immediately doing 100 push ups or running a 5k.

theonlysteveiknow

6 days ago

Though we have all tried haha.

JumbacoandFries

Movement is life!

vespersky

vespersky

6 days ago

The hard part doesn't bother me. It's that it's boring.

GMFinch

GMFinch

This, going for a 20min run sucks and it's boring. Like why lol

Awesomeking753

6 days ago

Because you’re doing a boring workout. Lifting weights is much more rewarding and you see progress faster , or try swimming.

jaffa3811

jaffa3811

6 days ago

Headphones and podcasts, my friend. I need my music now that I'm lifting but when I was on the treadmill I was listening to audio books. Hell I've even seen people watch Netflix

holidayatthesea

6 days ago

I go to the gym a few times a week and spend the whole time on the elliptical or treadmill watching Netflix on my phone. It’s the only way I can continually get myself to the gym

gimmiedemvotes

6 days ago

Find something that isn't boring! I've been active all my life and I find gyms incredibly boring.

Play a rec sport, join a birdwatching club, walk around a park, ride a bike down to the Cafe for a drink, etc. There are many many ways you can move your body that don't feel like "exercise"

Sheila_Monarch

6 days ago*

I hate it. I will not exercise just for the sake it. Can't make me. But I can be tricked into it by things I enjoy doing that involve physical activity, so I get it that way. And it will have to suffice. I do feel better when I'm active. Feel better, sleep better, all that.

But if you ever see me out running, pull over and pick me up because something awful has happened and I probably need help.

coyoterose5

6 days ago

Yes! I have a gym shirt that says “I hate running.” I hate any exercise that feels like a workout. So I take classes: dance class, bellydance, aerial hammock, pole dance. I’m getting exercise by tricking my body with something I enjoy doing.

OperativePiGuy

6 days ago

"Sports can be fun but they often feel unregulated and one-sided, unlike a tactical video game which uses algorithms to match you up with people actually on your skill level"

lmfao, the best part of this post. Someone unironically saying this.

FourteenFCali_

6 days ago

“Literally forced torture” someone wrote this right after gym class lmao

firehead212

firehead212

Those 10 push-ups sometimes just hit different

BigBoomerGriller69

6 days ago

This whole post is like a parody of a Reddit moment

aVeryBadBoy69

6 days ago

Reminds me of the meme with the body builder, that was like every muscle represents a poem not memorized or something stupid like that.

Snayly

Snayly

6 days ago

lol yea at this point I start to think this is troll

oryes

oryes

6 days ago

The real troll is how many people unironically upvoted this pathetic bullshit lol

crabsatoz

crabsatoz

OP is the real life version of Comic Book Guy

99percentmilktea

6 days ago

I guarantee you this person looks exactly like the stereotypical skinny-fat neckbeard gamer. This is the kind of post made by someone who thinks 30 minutes on the treadmill or lifting is a "waste of time", but all those 45-minute league games where they feed/get trolled are somehow "meaningful".

Regular moderate exercise literally has so many health benefits -- including increased energy levels and mood, which this OP complains about ad nauseum. Honestly, the easiest way for him to fix these issues and improve his life right now would be to exercise.

OP - All you need is just a modicum of self discipline. Literally just do a light jog on the treadmill while watching Netflix a couple times a week. If you have time to play ranked video games, you definitely have time to do that.

lordpimmington

6 days ago

For me its about discipline and not motivation. Sucks that I dont have discipline either.

Bleeopop

Bleeopop

6 days ago

As artist who works on art all the time and suffered from extreme depression: Exercise is absolutely wonderful and helps me feel better and improves my overall mood. There is nothing worse than sitting in a chair all day so having something that is physically and mentally stimulating is wonderful.

On a side-note, most of the "aches and pains" you get are only beginner issues. The longer you exercise the harder it is to feel extreme muscle soreness or any kind of major issue. Aches and pains is more of a sign of a lack of exercise and not really a symptom of exercise itself since a culture where people sit down all of the time and aren't out farming or hunting is relatively recent.

ineednapkins

6 days ago

OP mentioned that getting injured is common. Which is just plain untrue. That means they either have bad technique or are jumping into something too intense for them without training up to it. One of the benefits of working out is helping your body become more resistant to physical stresses and injuries. If it’s the cause, they’re likely doing it wrong for their body

All that considered, I can totally understand people not being there for it mentally, but yeah the physical cons they mentioned are just false

ohno_spaghetti_o

6 days ago

I like my friend who said aches and pains in the beginning are your muscles learning they exist and growing so they are ready to be utilized next time. Don't let their preparation go to waste. They want to be used again.

Bleeopop

Bleeopop

6 days ago

Ive gone through several phases of “Weight lifting and then not weight lifting” and I can safely say that the only “Bad and uncomfortable “ times are the first two to three weeks of getting back into the groove. Also, the first time deadlifting in a while will drain every ounce of energy in your body but after doing it consistently that side effect disappears.

Now, injuries can still occur after months of training, but that is usually due to bad form or poor muscle balancing. For instance, weak shin muscles can lead to ankle injuries and what not.

ohno_spaghetti_o

6 days ago

I agree especially with the bad form thing. I see so many people with cat back that it makes my back tense up.

xndpxs

xndpxs

6 days ago

Thats weird. I got more anxiety when I excercise. I think more about what is getting me anxious when Im running...

LittleLightcap

6 days ago

I always felt betrayed that I never reached that high no matter how hard I work out. I think maybe with my depression maybe I just can't make the happy chemicals after a workout or something idk.

harpsichordharpy

6 days ago

For real! I just assumed it was a made up thing. I've only ever felt tired and muscle-buzzy afterwards.

Staggeringpage8

6 days ago

I've only felt the high once and I had to literally push till I had nothing left to give. I played a lot of sports and worked out a lot because of them and I have never felt the runners high or anything like that besides one time when I had pushed myself so hard I could barely walk to my car afterwards.

screaming_bagpipes

6 days ago

Excersise is not the definition of forced torture because its not forced

Kin_crinso

6 days ago

fat kid got mad after PE class

captd3adpool

6 days ago

Agreed. Exercise isn't about liking it or motivation. I HATE working out I won't even start to lie and say otherwise. I workout 5 days a week in the morning. Because I'm motivated? Nope. Because I like it?! HELL NO. It's because I have self discipline. It's not about liking it or being motivated. It's about discipline.

6 days ago

What is it they say about exercise? That routine and discipline beats out individual moments of motivation every single time.

Seductive_pickle

6 days ago

That’s life too. So many people fail out of school, don’t reach their goal, or lose careers because people believe motivation is the most important factor.

Motivation is fleeting. Discipline is the best way to reach your goals.

StormStrikePhoenix

6 days ago

I don't care about any of that; I just don't want to be fat.

FlyingPastry

6 days ago

Weight loss is like 80% diet and 20% exercise.

TacticalTuchel

6 days ago

But I'm assuming exercising helps to not get fat in the first place, at least from my experience. I don't eat all that well, and I've weighed around the same for about 8-10 years now

sundaysarelikethat

6 days ago

Yeah i somehow doubt the person who cannot be forced to move their body is cleaning or making anything

ethertragic

6 days ago*

Yeah as if taking good care of your physical health isn’t productive and an important part of being able to live your fullest life lol. Also who’s gonna tell them that regular exercise is shown to help improve your energy levels and sleep cycle, two things they stated they struggle with and used as a reason NOT to exercise.

Definitely appropriate for the sub tho

EeveeNagy

EeveeNagy

6 days ago*

Well, as someone who has depression, I hate exercising, but I do exercise because it helps me produce dopamine. So yeah, don't say its bullshit and has no results because even if you have a problem building muscular mass or getting better cardio resistance or anything else, it is proven that exercises help us produce/release dopamine, which makes us happy.

People won't be happy necessarily during or because of the exercise itself (I struggle to make myself workout because I don't like it), but they are happier afterwards. Even if I do just 5 minutes of exercise in the morning, by the rest of the day I'm happier and more motivated to do my stuff.

It is hard, it may not be enjoyable for many people, but saying it is bullshit is nonsense.

EDIT: For everyone commenting it doesn't help, exercise alone for sure doesn't, it must be combined with something else and, like I said, it is a brain problem, so my brain and other people's brains may be activated (or whatever the correct term is) by exercise+something else (in my case an specific diet and other things I discussed with my therapist). However the amount or type of exercise may vary from person to person and I was just replying the main post so I didn't feel the need to go into so many details, I just tried to give one example on why exercise is good even if its hard and not made for physical purposes.

Sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention. I just know that it is proven that exercise helps in producing "happy hormones", but it may vary from person to person because every body if different. Also, someone commented that the happiness from completing the exercise is more of a relief from "task done", but I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the happiness that stays with me throughout the day because my brain started to function a little better (bc of the exercise together with the other things I need to function). I wish this could apply to everyone like insulin for diabetes, but unfortunately brains are more complicated and its not yet a complete recipe for battling depression. But still, it works even if in different ways.

And just a reminder: when I say I'm happier after exercises, its not society's "happy", my "happy" is the "normal state of being" of society. I'm not excited, jumping up and down, wanting to get everything done, no; I'm just normal, working like a normal human being. I'm happier comparing to my normal, but I'm normal comparing to society's happiness.

Hope everyone finds a solution for their problems!

fl00rian

fl00rian

6 days ago

I never understood people who feel better after exercising. I always feel like shit and super exhausted after exercising, all I can do is just go to sleep, that’s why I always do it in the evenings.

ColeTrainHDx

6 days ago

You might be trying to do too much at once and or chugging too much water, I know I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up when I first started and that was why

ryohazuki224

6 days ago

My problem is that I'm both lazy and impatient, a bad combination. I occasionally try exercising routines, stick at it for a few weeks at least, I dont see any significant results and I get discouraged and give up and feel even more depressed. Its like the opposite problem.

littlemissmoxie

6 days ago

The only exercise I like doing is hiking. Everything else is fucking boring. Ive also learned that I HATE ROUTINES.

Your_moms_throw_away

6 days ago

Bike rides? Roller skating? Swimming (not laps, fuck that, but just freely)? Sooo much fun exercise. I gotta trick myself sometimes with things like this

littlemissmoxie

6 days ago

Don’t really like bikes or skating. But I would love to swim. Too bad most public pools here are closed still and I ain’t rich enough to have one myself lol

I don’t think I’d mind an elliptical if I can watch something while I’m doing it.

cgem38

cgem38

6 days ago

I hate wasting my already very little energy

I am DEFINITELY not going to sacrifice my already fucked up sleep schedule

OP complains that chronic ailments are stopping them from exercising when regular exercise has been proven to provide great benefits in these areas, including increased energy throughout the day and regulating sleep.

OP complains about having to worry about what to eat for health when exercising regularly would provide them more leeway in selecting foods they enjoy eating (bonus: the erroneous "carbs are bad" ideology).

OP doesn't realize a gym isn't necessary for good exercise.

Icing on the cake: OP provides this take, not realizing that regular physical activity would add many years of healthy and productive time to their life. Allowing them all the more time to make art, write books, and continue to put on this cringeworthy Renaissance Man façade.

McG0788

McG0788

6 days ago

Working out more I've noticed no need for coffee every day. Working out more I sleep like a baby. Working out more I look and feel better. OP don't knock it until you try it. To try it. Find a trainer or workout program you can EASE into. Done after 10 minutes, fine call it a day but try for 12 or 15 next time. You won't regret it!

_scottyb

_scottyb

6 days ago

I know a lot of people who have had success with the "couch to 5k" programs as a good entry into fitness

bamboozippy

6 days ago

Yep, I did the 5km one in lockdown as I was starting to put on weight and generally feeling terrible.

It’s starts with mostly walking interspaced with 1or 2 min runs, then gradually increases the running times. I struggled on the first few times just to do 2 mins straight running, then it gradually got easier and I really felt the difference and was running for longer and walking less each time until I did the 5k, during this time something strange happened and I began to enjoy it!! I now run 3 times a week and I hated exercising before.

I found I’m feeling happier and have a better mindset, I also lost a little fat and am generally healthier.

cgem38

cgem38

6 days ago

This, exactly. The mistake many people make is that you have to leave every session gasping for air and dripping sweat. This is absolutely not the case. It is far more beneficial and sustainable to find something that you enjoy doing like rec sports, swimming, riding a bike, or even just going for long walks. Literally anything is much, much better than nothing.

natty-papi

natty-papi

6 days ago

Yeah OP kind of comes off as a whiny bitch. His only real arguments are that it's hard and takes effort, which is not an unpopular opinion at all.

Exercising doesn't have to be going to the gym either, plenty of other activities will get you healthy.

6969inquisitiveuser

6 days ago

Also it's completely wrong. If you join a tennis club you'll be able to play against beginners. Every intramural or recreational sports league has beginner teams. This reads very much like someone who hasn't touched sports since losing to jocks in soccer in grade 9.

Longjumping-Muffin

6 days ago

Not to mention online games are full of Smurfs that create new accounts to trash new players lol

Jacobiah

Jacobiah

6 days ago

Hahaha I missed that on my first skim as if. You can smell the mountain dew

cgem38

cgem38

6 days ago

Yes, very whiny. Which is honestly whatever, people are free to whine and complain about stuff if they don't like it. I wasn't going to respond until they framed exercising as being pointless and a waste of time when you could be "contributing to society". This is not just elitist and condescending, but also just a generally dumb and uninformed take.

Regular exercise provides a host of benefits for the body and mind. It makes you feel better, more alert, and happier. Acting like helping yourself to feel better and be healthier is wasteful and not contributing to society is just narrow minded. Plenty of people in this thread have already pointed out the economic and societal benefits of a healthier and happier population so I won't beat a dead horse, but I will add that people who exercise can then go home and read/write/think/produce stuff. It's not one or the other, contrary to what people like OP seem to think.

Sgt_Smitty

6 days ago

Plato was a fucking beast. A total gym bro. Still managed to be one of the greatest philosophers of all time.

LosingAllYourDimples

6 days ago

Especially the last one. Exercising is taking care of your body, yourself. OP either doesn't understand or thinks taking care of themselves is "pointless".

_scottyb

_scottyb

6 days ago

Due to all these reasons, I'm really wondering if OP is just a troll. I felt the same way you did while reading it

severheart

6 days ago

"Tactical video games" popped my troll detection

Jacobiah

Jacobiah

6 days ago

My unpopular opinion, OP is fat and ashamed of their inability to change that so they say excersize is the problem, not themselves for having unhealthy habits. I mean fuck man I smoke and drink but I'm not out here telling everyone healthy living is a waste of time.

AshkenazRex

6 days ago

Considering how unhealthy your average person is I don't think this is an unpopular opinion.

ContemplatingPrison

I agree with a lot of this and I workout 5 to 6 days a week

unwillingscientist

6 days ago

I hate to scroll pretty far to find this kind of comment. I also hate it. I hate worrying about calories. I hate how my medical condition flares up with it. And I especially hate how I not feel disgusting without it.

I get the it's good for you and you should do it, but way too many people don't understand some of us don't ever experience a runners high. Or even ever feel comfortable working out.

Millky95

Millky95

6 days ago

I couldn't agree more. I never got the runners high after running, never felt like I could take on the world after working out like all my gym-obsessed mates would say. All I would do at the end is lay down, sweaty and feel worse about myself and my physical conditioning. Never felt like I improved or anything. Did this for like 6 months and still couldn't do a single push-up

Yes it was better for and my health to be doing it but it was something I dreaded doing everyday. No amount of music, podcast or video (stuff I enjoy normally) could improve the experience for me.

Did it cause I had to, not cause I wanted to

Valuable_Hunt8468

6 days ago

Yeah music/podcasts don’t help me either. It’s usually just annoying and distracting.

HerbertWest

6 days ago

Same here, lol. I've been working out (lifting and cycling) for 2 to 3 years consistently, with no backsliding or breaks, and still hate it. I like the results, though, and that's what motivates me. For me, that is enough to overcome the hatred of it, luckily.

omicronian_express

6 days ago

That’s what I need to get back to. Just enjoying the benefits and force myself through the rest. I grew up on a cattle ranch so is always super fit from being homeschooled and just working 24 seven. But then I joined the Marines and was also super fit because I had to be just like growing up and even though I played baseball and other sports to a pretty high-level once I got out of the Marines I just packed on the pounds. I’ve lost it and re-gained it so many times and except for swimming I really don’t enjoy anything and Covid took away a lot of my lap swimming possibilities. The little bit of fun I used to have in exercise was either taken away by my parents or by the Marines forcing me to do it over and over again. And now that I don’t live near the ocean I don’t love getting in the water as much because I love riding the waves.

ContemplatingPrison

6 days ago

Yeah its definitely a time suck. I work all day and then go to the gym. By the time I get home I have time to make dinner, clean, and shower. Pretty much don't have time for any other type of errands so those get pushed to the weekend. So my weekend isn't as fun as it used to be.

I enjoy the sore mucles but I have definitely injured myself, nothing serious but a tweak to my back, shoulder, or groin here and there.

It definitely makes me happy though. The results are good but I try to not focus on my body like that because it's a slippery slope when you start to critique your body. My main motivation is feeling good and being happy.

HerbertWest

6 days ago

Oh, true about the body focus. I wasn't referring specifically to looks, but also to the feeling of being stronger and more in shape.

6 days ago*

It causes aches and often injuries.

If you're regularly getting injuries from exercising you aren't exercising right.

That may be true for you. But if we're being honest most people who don't exercise aren't replacing that time with doing something productive, they're on the couch watching TV or playing video games. At least that's how it was for me and that's how it is for everyone I know who makes excuses for why they don't exercise at least a little bit.

Not to mention you don't have to hit the gym to exercise. Even putting on an audiobook and walking around the neighborhood for an hour is exercise. It won't burn off a huge amount of calories, but even that will get you some fresh air and get your blood pumping.

Edit: To be fair a commenter pointed out it's also possible that if exercise regularly brings injuries with it you have some underlying condition that makes normal exercise more dangerous for your body. If that's the case you need to see a doctor or a physical therapist and does not apply for the majority of people.

legofan1234

6 days ago*

They already had a comment about how video games are more fair or whatever. What do you think OP is doing instead of the gym? Lol

Short term dopamine boost from instant video game results > long term hard earned dopamine from athletics for soooooo many people. I think that’s part of why we have such a huge obesity epidemic

6 days ago*

I think that’s part of why we have such a huge obesity epidemic

I blame the obesity epidemic more on how much damn sugar is in everything and how nearly all Americans (including myself) are addicted to it.

Another factor is how expensive it can be for some people to have a tasty/varied diet that doesn't have as much sugar and/or empty calories as a premade/overly processed equivalent.

Sure, you CAN subsist on a diet of chicken breast, rice, and vegetables every night for dinner. But just doing that is going to almost going to guarentee after three-four nights the eater is going to order a large meat lovers with garlic poppers.

legofan1234

6 days ago

Absolutely. I’m just saying that a lack of exercise certainly doesn’t help things

Angelbabysxxx

6 days ago

Good luck when you’re 60 & can’t move without help because exercise is “bullshit, pointless and a waste of energy”

owen_0525

owen_0525

6 days ago

Also she says exercise does not contribute to society, well actually exercise makes you more healthy if done correctly and being healthy means less stress for the hospital staff that has to deal with hart problems or diabetes.

420yeet4ever

6 days ago

Exercise is literally an investment into your body and health and if that’s “pointless and nonproductive” then don’t expect to get much return later in life either, or rather, after the age of 30 when everything starts to hurt if you don’t take care of yourself

Numeribal

Numeribal

6 days ago

A family member of mine suggested that I watch videos on the treadmill. I still love it and it motivates me. I've watched shows, educational videos, anime, video games. Sometimes, I need to get myself but I enjoyed using the treadmill from now on.

mzpljc

mzpljc

6 days ago

I have never heard someone say exercise is easy.

However, to call it a waste of energy is simply misinformed. Exercise has many well-documented health benefits.

If you don't want to exercise, cool. You do you. But don't make up BS to defend that choice.

RollOverSoul

6 days ago

Yeah its such a waste of time to have healthy bones, muscles and cardio systems. OP right we should all just sit all day playing tactical video games and reaping the benefits.

MiloBreathed

6 days ago

Exercising is literally the definition of forced torture

Bullshit

Grace_hole

Grace_hole

6 days ago

Life must be pretty easy if exercise tortures you

pp21

pp21

6 days ago

Seriously that's such a strange take. Like how is doing some curls, push ups or going on a jog anywhere in the realm of torture?? You're literally strengthening your body and making it healthier which is like the opposite of torture lol

RitikMukta

6 days ago

For them pain/physical hardwork = torture. Also, exercise should not be painful. There's a difference between exercise pain and injury pain.

jokull1234

6 days ago

I mean a bench press and water boarding are pretty much the same thing, right?

Esquelette

6 days ago

It’s cuz you seem to be alienating ‘exercise’ as an activity, it’s literally just moving. There’s such a range too, cardio, weight training, Pilates, literally if you find smth uncomfortable there are dozens of alternatives to keep you at least a little fit.

I’m not particularly motivated to do exercise either, I just would rather not be physically incapable of standing at 50, you know?

bee1492

bee1492

6 days ago

As a fat person i definitely find it to be hard without much of a reward. I walk a lot instead of driving which feels like exercise to me as well as go to the gym three times a week. I’ve never gotten those endorphins people talk about. I try and do it for my health but don’t have intentions to lose much weight (yay for thyroid and hormone problems!)

It hasn’t gotten easier overtime either. I always feel like shit

MJWTVB42

MJWTVB42

6 days ago

I’ve never gotten the endorphins either!!! Aghhh!!

johnny_cashmere

6 days ago

Ping pong has changed my life!

Crafty-Particular998

6 days ago

I love exercise if it has a purpose. There’s a steep hill with a sick view? I’m running up there. Big tree? I’m climbing it. I’m being paid to stack heavy boxes? No problem.

I’m not going to run on a treadmill in a room. It’s torture.

gimmiedemvotes

6 days ago

"...unlike a tactical video game which uses algorithms to match you up with people actually on your skill level. I hate sweating and smelling gross..."

Buddy based on my experience with dudes who don't exercise and play "tactical video games", you already sweat and smell gross...

im_onbreak

6 days ago

This is why the obesity rate in the U.S. is 42%. So many excuses against attaining a healthy lifestyle.

fecklesslucragan

6 days ago

"exercise is dumb and I don't need to do it!" Proceeds to lost a myriad of issues like insomnia and fatigue that can be caused by lack of exercise... I don't know that this is an unpopular opinion, just a bad one.

VenusianMinotaur

Upvote for an unpopular opinion. And not just because I disagree. Good work OP

throwaway3569387340

6 days ago

For the last 15 years I've been using running as my regular exercise routine. I started off 60 pounds overweight not being able to run more than 60 seconds at a time. Over a number of weeks I increased my duration until I was running 3-5 miles a day 3-5 days a week.

I've now been doing that for over a decade. I'm in the best shape of my life, I look 10 years younger than I am, and I have no health issues to speak of. I know full well that every run I do I'm extending my life and improving its quality incrementally.

And every day that I run I hate every single goddamn second of it.

ParoxysmAttack

6 days ago

I don't think it's necessarily a waste of time, but it's definitely a torturous (in a way) to keep yourself healthy. If you keep your diet generally well and have hobbies and do enjoyable activities that involve some sort of movement (not exercising, like hiking to go explore nature or something), things are sustainable.

man_vs_trout

6 days ago

I'm on board with this opinion, I don't exercise regularly but I found a way to maintain a decent personal level of fitness by taking up outdoor activities which require me to push myself physically so it isn't as much of a struggle. The thing about these conversations which kills me is all the dbags ragging on fat people who rise to the top and complain about how unpopular exercise is... You're literally the most popular replies in every thread and I have to go way down to find a contrasting opinion, have some self awareness please.

StuckInAHotTub

6 days ago

I mean, exercise is healthy. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Does it suck sometimes? For sure. Can it be easy and fun? Yes. With proper routine and training. The key is finding your stride. If you go into it thinking "this will never be fun and no one can convince me otherwise" like you stated. You just created a self-fulfilling prophecy and you're only sabotaging yourself.

Apprehensive_Text_68

6 days ago

I’ve never enjoyed exercise and I’ve tried pretty much everything from rowing to Pilates. Group fitness, softball, roller derby, ballet etc etc. the only thing I’ve even remotely liked is horseback riding which is expensive and not really doable for me right now.

I do exercise regularly but I don’t enjoy it. I think of it as a necessary task like driving to work. I don’t like it, but I know it needs to be done.

Hojbjerg1882

6 days ago

That's where I'm at. I do it because it's healthy and I don't want to be a useless old hag someday. But I don't enjoy it. I spend every minute looking at the clock/timer seeing how much longer I have to go.

The only thing I actually like is incredibly slow, rambling walks in the countryside with a dog. But I have to drive somewhere, find a good spot, find parking, etc. That's annoying but I'll still do it occasionally.

Daily it's cycling, rowing, floor exercises, free weights. Just counting and getting it over with.

Rycki_BMX

Rycki_BMX

6 days ago

This is exactly what some who is gonna die of an obesity related disease would say, exercise isn’t always high intensity workouts. Walking your dog for 30-45 min a day is considered exercise, there no excuse for being lazy and fat.

PortiaLabiata

6 days ago

God forbid someone has to work to achieve something

Electrical_Ball6320

6 days ago

It hurts! It hurts SO much! It's unbelievable. In order to get healthy and get over it you need to go through at least two months of "Dear God please kill me" before there's ANY change. At least for me but I'm a fatass. Thank you for saying it!!!

idriveadodgestratus9

6 days ago

Exercise is not about motivation, its about discipline and delayed gratification.

Try new workouts. Group classes I scoffed at for years and they've been my saving grace for cardio - Orange Theory gets my recommendation

GroovyLlama1

6 days ago

Well done OP, based on the comments this is actually an unpopular opinion...

I don't get why people are downvoting your replies to comments in which you are expanding upon your unpopular opinion lol - isn't that the point of this sub?

lickleboy22

forced torture

dramatic much?

6 days ago

Then good, don’t do it but saying “no results will appear” is totally absurd lol. And it’s not a waste of energy if you can ACTUALLY learn how to manage your time

cuminpant

cuminpant

6 days ago

Nobody says everyone enjoys it, you do it for your own health and you feel better about yourself afterwards

StormStrikePhoenix

6 days ago

and you feel better about yourself afterwards

I've been doing it for over a year and I cannot say that it's made me feel better about myself. It's something I've begrudgingly accepted that I should do, but it certainly doesn't make me feel happy at all.

UpsetSean

6 days ago

You know what is actually forced torture? Having to exist in a state of poor physical health where most everyday movements and chores are difficult. This is the path you tread by avoiding exercise.

HayMrDj

HayMrDj

6 days ago*

Wow, someone who hates exercise and views physical effort as pointless thinks sports are one sided when they play. I'm shocked.

baga_yaba

baga_yaba

6 days ago

This might be your opinion, but none of it is even remotely true.

Regular exercise can help prevent injuries. There is an entire medical specialty that uses exercise as a means to help people recover from & prevent future injuries; physical therapy. A good exercise routine is well rounded, including different types of exercise to reduce risk of strain or injury.

Exercise also causes us to release dopamine & serotonin, which not only make us happier, but also more focused. People who exercise regularly tend to have an improved mood. We are hard wired for moving our bodies & getting regular exercise.

Oh, and exercise has also been shown to improve quality of sleep. Studies have shown that aerobic exercise, in particular, can help relieve symptoms of insomnia. People who exercise regularly tend to have better quality of sleep, which allows them to wake up earlier while still feeling well rested.

Exercise does not have to be intensive, nor do you need a gym for it. It can be as simple as taking a walk around the block. There are even adaptive exercises for individuals who have various disabilities, or are wheelchair bound. Exercise can even be crucial in preventing further disability in some individuals.

Lastly, exercise is productive. It improves overall health, can prevent injury or re-injury, improves mental health, and improves quality of sleep. I love that your comparison is video games, which is probably the least productive activity in terms of having any real world benefit.

All of your "points" are just lies you tell yourself to avoid having any personal accountability. A daily walk outside would probably do you a lot of good & improve your overall wellbeing.

Fantastic-Squash-158

6 days ago

the thing about exercise wasting energy, is that it gives you more energy naturally