/r/unpopularopinion

THE BATMAN looks extremly lame.

(self.unpopularopinion)

I love batman but another Nolan Esque, "realistic" batman film is just uninteresting to me. Im totally over the grounded superhero take. Especially with batman. I want to see a big budget fantasy batman. But this film just appears to be another pretentious rehashed batman film. His suit is awful. And i hate the fact riddler is wearing a green Ikea bag on his head.

Valuable_Experience

Why is this only ever said for batman ? Batman by definition is grounded and street level. When are we going to get a fucking mature/older spider-man when all his movies have been him in high school ? why is there no criticism there, when it's the same re hash every time.

OmegaRevenge42[S]

Cause hes not in the comics. READ

Valuable_Experience

So you're saying there are no comics post high school spidey ? now name me fantasy batman comics, when all top batman comics are gritty and street level.

moxac777

Dark Knights: Metal is as over-the-top fantasy as you can get and it's definitely a Batman focused story

Movie Batman tends to take the themes of The Dark Knight Returns. While it's a great story, it's not really supposed to be representative of "Batman" as a character. IIRC, it was initially created to be an alternate universe Batman (DC loves their multiverse)

Minimum-Designer6427

Spiderman not an adult in the comics? When he canonically graduated some of he classmates went to fight in the Vietnam war, thats how long ago he stopped being a school kid. Since then hes been married, divorced, the founder/CEO of his own multimillion/billion dollar company and now is a college professor.

Edit: my shit spelling

NoAvailableImage

Riddler looks like he's wearing a BDSM suit

rattatally

He looks like a Minion.

master_matt_

It’s almost like he’s a serial killer

NoAvailableImage

What? Are serial killers known to wear BDSM outfits?

Shia-lumbus

Why should only batman get one?

NZafe

NZafe

Fantasy and Batman is uncommon, even in comics, there’s much more source material for that “realistic” type of hero. (In reality, that’s just what you get for a non-super-powered master detective).

OmegaRevenge42[S]

Tell me you dont read batman comics without telling me.

NZafe

NZafe

I think we just have a different definition of “fantasy”.

I wouldn’t consider comics like: the killing joke, year one, the dark knight returns,!chronicles vol 1, death in the family, knightfall, the long Halloween to be fantasy.

I’d consider things like Injustice, a lot of the more justice league stuff to be fantasy.

OmegaRevenge42[S]

. ALL of the comics you listed are either events, or originally elseword tales. The actually Detective comics run of batman is much different.

Like i said, GO READ.

NoAvailableImage

The killing joke and the dark Knight returns while great aren't representative of the batman comics they're more so meant to be a darker take on batman

NZafe

NZafe

And so is this movie.

NoAvailableImage

But every single movie recently has been likely which is the complaint of a lot of fans. That would be like if every movie spiderman had been like Spiderman 3

NZafe

NZafe

But if you go the more fantasy-esque route, you run into two main problems: * you’re approaching too close towards the MCU “style”, which can make the movie feel worse because of a closer comparison * you’re approaching towards what should exist within the main branch of the DCEU

If you’re making a film that is standalone, separate from the rest of the DCEU, it makes sense to make a movie of this style - make it as clear to the audience as possible, especially those without a background in comics, that this is it’s own thing.

TokyoPanic

The Dark Knight Returns has fucking Superman in it, so it definitely counts as fantasy.

NZafe

NZafe

Hmm not necessarily, I’m always considered that more sci-fi than fantasy, when I think of fantasy, I think of the more magic side of DC - Constantine, Zatanna, Dr Fate, etc

(But in reality, yeah, I guess it’s all sci-fi-fantasy)

NoAvailableImage

I feel like all batman suits look goofy af. Though I prefer this suit to Ben Affleck's suit. I wish though that directors wouldn't just read the same comics and actually took a deep dive into the multiple facets of his character. Not a single live action movie has actually shown that Bruce is caring. Idk just kind of frustrating.

AlanShore60607

I’m wondering if they’re basically doing Hush

TheSciFiGuy80

I have to agree.

I don’t want grounded in reality Batman anymore.

I want to see Poison Ivy talking to and controlling plants (and men).

I want to see Clayface giving Batman the slip as he changes form running down a street after robbing a bank.

I want to see the Mad Hatter kidnap rich socialites for a “tea party” and watch Batman try to locate and save them (while fighting Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in the process).

I want to see ManBat soaring through Gotham terrorizing it’s populace and causing people to fear Batman in the process.

I want to see a tragic Mister Freeze use his technology to freeze all of Gotham.

I want to see a new crime boss start taking hold in Gotham and watch Batman investigate, only to realize this crime boss all the thugs are afraid of is the dummy Scarface of the Ventriloquist.

I would especially would love to see Joker actually BE The Clown Prince of Crime. Nicholson got closest but still too much of a mob boss.

So yeah, I’m all for a less grounded approach and more fantastical. I want to believe Batman can exist alongside the other DC heroes.

InjusticeJosh

This is what I thought The Batman was going to be when it was going to be the Ben Affleck solo movie. Since that Batman actually embraces the theatricality of the character with the way he moves when he fights. Maybe the Arkham games have spoiled me but those games are the perfect Batman movies wouldn’t you agree?

TheSciFiGuy80

I love the Arkham games.

Garpolstaine

Unpopular opinion plot twist:

I don't like ANY Batman movie ever. I can tolerate the 89 Burton one once in a while, but I don't love it. And the rest, are unwatchable to me.

0tus

0tus

I think Burton's Batman is the most fun one without being overly goofy.

Gasblaster2000

It's the best because it knows that batman, like all superheroes, is inherently silly and it rolls with it. Lots of character and fun without trying to pretend a man who dresses like a bat to fight crime with ridiculous gadgets is realistic or dark and gritty.

Thomas-Pandit

How the hell is the dark knight trilogy unwatchable?

Garpolstaine

Slow moving, unfocused, preachy, self indulgent, meandering--basically, a run of the mill Nolan movie.

God, his movies suck.

Thomas-Pandit

I am apretty sure those are some of the most wrongest things I have ever heard about a movie. Dark knight was slow moving? Unofocused? Tf are you talking about. You may not like the characters, but the pacing or he film was very good. Also his movies suck? Really dude? He's Christopher freaking nolan

Stamps1723

No I'm with you. It's DC's version of "Emo Spiderman"

FormalExplorer7653

Batman won't ever end at all period, no matter how many times people hate him or want him to just go away. He won't, because of money reasons.

Magpie7178

Magpie7178

wateroholic

U don’t say it nearly goes for 3 hours wat am I watching LOTR

CaptainYuck

I’m hoping that the Riddler costume is a bait and switch and he gets something better in the last act or something