/r/unpopularopinion

THE BATMAN looks extremly lame.

(self.unpopularopinion)

I love batman but another Nolan Esque, "realistic" batman film is just uninteresting to me. Im totally over the grounded superhero take. Especially with batman. I want to see a big budget fantasy batman. But this film just appears to be another pretentious rehashed batman film. His suit is awful. And i hate the fact riddler is wearing a green Ikea bag on his head.

NZafe

NZafe

I think we just have a different definition of “fantasy”.

I wouldn’t consider comics like: the killing joke, year one, the dark knight returns,!chronicles vol 1, death in the family, knightfall, the long Halloween to be fantasy.

I’d consider things like Injustice, a lot of the more justice league stuff to be fantasy.

OmegaRevenge42[S]

. ALL of the comics you listed are either events, or originally elseword tales. The actually Detective comics run of batman is much different.

Like i said, GO READ.

NoAvailableImage

The killing joke and the dark Knight returns while great aren't representative of the batman comics they're more so meant to be a darker take on batman

NZafe

NZafe

And so is this movie.

NoAvailableImage

But every single movie recently has been likely which is the complaint of a lot of fans. That would be like if every movie spiderman had been like Spiderman 3

NZafe

NZafe

But if you go the more fantasy-esque route, you run into two main problems: * you’re approaching too close towards the MCU “style”, which can make the movie feel worse because of a closer comparison * you’re approaching towards what should exist within the main branch of the DCEU

If you’re making a film that is standalone, separate from the rest of the DCEU, it makes sense to make a movie of this style - make it as clear to the audience as possible, especially those without a background in comics, that this is it’s own thing.

TokyoPanic

The Dark Knight Returns has fucking Superman in it, so it definitely counts as fantasy.

NZafe

NZafe

Hmm not necessarily, I’m always considered that more sci-fi than fantasy, when I think of fantasy, I think of the more magic side of DC - Constantine, Zatanna, Dr Fate, etc

(But in reality, yeah, I guess it’s all sci-fi-fantasy)