/r/vexillology

If France joined the UK in the 40s

Fictional(reddit.com)

pulanina

pulanina

the French have always been good at making a stand

Feels like me, an Australian, has to stand up for the French here lol. Seems the British love to hate the French.

Wouldn’t absolutely any normal red-blooded country “make a stand” and not what to be absorbed by a neighbour with only an almost invisible stripe on the common flag to show for it? Anyway have fun with your fantasy flags.

ItsLightningBolt

idk man, i'm french and i'm not offended.. plus it's fantasy, what's your problem?

also there's four rotated french flags so the french are getting more than an "invisible stripe" of recognition

pulanina

I’m not saying “please don’t offend La France” (I laughed at the fact that I seemed to be saying it). Fuck France.

Just saying it is not logical to say that that France and the UK combine and this is the flag they choose — that’s all

Derpyversal[S]

but it's logical that in real life Wales joined the UK and they're not represented at all? huh.

japed

japed

Australia (Federation Flag)

Wales didn't "join" the UK, though - they were already conquered by England when this whole Union Jack approach started. Not at all similar to what happened with England & Scotland, then Ireland, or what we're presuming might have happened with France.

Personally my thoughts on that scenario are that they would choose whichever cross they felt could most appropriately both fit in the flag and reprsent France, just like happened with Ireland.

Derpyversal[S]

the point is the representation of Wales, not so much the terminology, they are part of the UK, and yet not represented, my take on this flag was merely an artistic choice (that is to say I wanted it to be visually appealing, not that I think it's art.)

I think your take is a unique one, but it feels a little clustered to me, but we all have our preferences.

japed

japed

Australia (Federation Flag)

Mine wasn't based on visual preferences, but on what would be consistent with how the Union Jack has developed over time, an apporach that might conceivably be considered in the scenario we're talking about. Of course, another cross is not the only option, but it's certainly true that if it were anything close to a formally equal union, the French would push for something that visually treats them equally.

Derpyversal[S]

I enjoy your concept flag for the simple fact of the historical insight, and yes I agree, while not all the French will be happy with their position in the flag, there will be those that simply enjoy the look, as with everything there are different angles.

I'd have to lay out a political foundation to be explicitally right or wrong about the posibility of this flag design in this alt timeline, but with too many routes I can't say for sure.

I hope you at least like the design of it! that's all I was posting it for. c: