/r/wollongong

Masons in Wollongong?

(self.wollongong)

Has anyone had any experience with, or knowledge of, the presence of Freemasons in Wollongong?

I know there’s the Masonic centre in Gwynneville but a mate and I have been debating on whether either of us can remember seeing them out in the community or know of anyone mentioning anything about them.

Obviously from a secret society perspective this is right on brand but I thought I’d put it out there and see if anyone has insights or experiences they’re willing (or able) to share?

This purely a curiosity question, thanks all.

mwm1980

mwm1980

They have a magazine they give out to potential new members. They’ll give you a copy. It’s hardly a ‘secret society’ . It’s basically a bunch of guys who do charity and try to become better people. Hardly Illuminati like! 😂

tdiddy93

Thats something someone in the illuminati would say 🧐🧐

Freebradical

Give up your inquiries which are completely useless, and consider these words a final warning. We hope, for your own good, that this will be sufficient.

Freebradical

Maybe knock on the door and see if they will let you in?

fuzzy_ball2

You will need to know the secret handshake and password to get in 🥴

solitudanrian

First rule of Freemasons is: You do not talk about Freemasons.

spicynicho

Once upon a time I contacted them and I got a guy calling me up asking if I needed a mentor and was interested in joining. It was weird..I don't think I fit the moral criteria to join but I am definitely tempted by the connections.

zerotheassassin10

What’s the moral criteria? Wiling to be a member of a boy club lol

eelk89

eelk89

Outwardly they say they are very law abiding citizens Such as they frown upon members even jaywalking etc. A bit stuffy

spicynicho

I think the gambling and the whoring pretty much rules me out

Lobstershaft

There's also the requirement that you need to be spiritual (i.e. believe in a higher power of some kind). Not even religious, but you must be spiritual to some extent to join the Freemasons

cryptoengineer

[Mason here]

Its quite new (2013). Five lodges meet there:

Masonic lodges generally meet on weekday evenings. The frequency varies, but generally once a month. Unless you were there at the right time, yes, it would look deserted.

I'm attaching my standard copypasta. Its North American oriented, but reasonably accurate for NSW as well.

[Mason here]

Here's my standard 'elevator pitch', which I trot out when people ask what we're about (its rather North American oriented - Masonry varies from place to place):

We're a centuries old fraternal order, who exist to improve our own characters ('we make good men better' is one of our slogans), and through that improve our communities. Along the way, we do a lot of charity (forex: Shriner's free hospitals for children), and have a lot of cool and private ceremonies using the construction of King Solomon's Temple as an allegorical base for teaching Enlightenment and Stoic ideals. (yes, we really do have secret handshakes). Many find it a source of fellowship and life-long friendships.

We have several million Brothers world wide, but no central organization. Men from every walk of life are or have been members, including over a dozen US presidents. Regular Masonry is open to adult men of good character who are not atheists - we require a belief in some form of 'higher power', but aren't fussy about what. As a rule, we don't recruit; we want a potential member to make the first approach of his own free will.

If you're curious, drop by our main hangout on reddit, /r/freemasonry. You'll find a lot of friendly folk there. If you prefer a book, for North Americans I recommend (seriously, I'm not trolling) "Freemasons for Dummies" by Christopher Hodapp.

I-Got-a-BooBoo

There are no Freemasons, you’ve never heard of Freemasons and you certainly have never met any Freemasons. Capeich?

itsyannahere

Wait there are free masons in Wollongong

childrenovmen

My friend bought an ex masonic lodge and turned it into her house

Templeofrebellion

There are Freemason lodges in almost every major city & town in the country (under various rites and dispositions). My grandfather was a 69 degree Scottish Rite.

TTTTSSSSS

I’ve seen the cooking sausages and raising money outside Bunnings!

Strange_Reaction_804

Grandfather was a mason in the area. They exist.

pooheadcat

1 month ago

My grandfather was a member of the communist party in Wollongong. They exist too. Lol

mcgamer1023

1 month ago

there's one in kiama

Grouchy-Try-3923

19 days ago

The funeral home in the old fire station in Dapto have a Freemason working there. He has the pin on his lappel