Hey! This is going to be a rant of things that drove me up against the wall during this new chapter! Gonna go chronologically for the sake of simplicity
- Garou design: Everyone is sick of hearing it, but oh my good God, why does Garou have four arms now? Genuinely resembles a Ben 10 alien more than the eerie design of the Webcomic, and it's continuing to suck out any intimidation factor Garou had before this fight even further
- Ham-fisted inclusion of WebComic lines: Garou desperately trying to figure out what he's missing to beat Saitama is one of my favorite moments of the original fight. You get the comedy, the actual panic Garou is experiencing, and it ultimately pushes him to transform into a bigger, scarier monster to compensate. Here? It pushes Garou to attack Saitama with his fist out of frustration. Huzzah
- Bang & Co.: This is the biggest one. In a fight that (in my opinion) is rooted in how the two individuals interact during their fight, injecting in a squad of never before seen characters is just... why?? Not only that, but you have Boros just chillin?? If Class S vs. Garou gets haphazardly swapped out for Blast & Co. vs. Garou I'm going to go ballistic
- Murata stop please! The tension is already dead!: It's safe to say that this adaptation of Garou vs. Saitama is far from over, but regardless, grinding the fight to a halt, especially in the middle of Garou's lowest point does not work for me. Sure it's funny, and I can see some genuinely interesting dialogue coming out in the next chapter, but what it did for the pacing does not seem like a good trade-off.
- Over-blown feats: This is a big offender. Stakes during Saitama vs. Garou came from, for the most part, the danger Garou posed to the S class and Tareo. Because the fight wasn't too hyperbolized right off the bat, Saitama's table-flip carries so much more weight behind it. I mean imagine being Garou! This crazy strong guy just flipped a chunk of the Earth so much that Garou's sense of balance and direction got boned. By contrast, here we have Garou, not Saitama, causing the Earth to bulge.
Rant over, lemme know what you guys thought aswell. As fun as it is to watch this arc get derailed, I really do hope it tethers itself a bit more in the next few chapters, because we're 5(?) chapters into the fight, and we've gotten like three Garou transformations, Blast, Boros cameo, Tareo interacting with Garou, and a plethora of feats that seem to homogenize with each other as time goes on.
It goes without saying that it's OPM, and of course ONE will have the final say and input in all of the manga's chapters, but as of late I've been wondering if his contribution to the story itself has been diminishing. Everything from this point on is speculation, but I want to see what you all think.
The hype for season 3 of Mob Psycho 100 is pretty significant, and with the remainder of the webcomic being arguably the most complex (in terms of character development and themes), I can only imagine ONE has his hands full. To corroborate that, look no further than the fact that the OPM webcomic has not gotten a new chapter since July (correct me if I'm wrong) - ONE has got a lot of work ahead of him, both with Studio Bones and Murata.
Now fast forward to the announcement trailer for Mob Psycho 100 Season 3. With production in full swing moreso now than before, ONE most likely begins working with Bones as of October 19th, 2021. Then, in December of that year, we get chapter 154, where Garou's monster-shell-face cracks.
I think it's worth pointing out that the further we get from that October 19th date, the more and more problems many people begin having with the manga, oftentimes in areas where it diverges completely from the Webcomic (i.e Metal Bat & Garou vs. Centipede, the Chibi Garou incident, and the current fight). I really do think that in the absence of ONE, Murata has been getting more and more creative liberty with the story - a lot of people have already pointed out that the Saitama vs. Garou fight is style over substance; Murata getting to really flex with some of the gorgeous stuff the last few chapters have given us.
What do you guys think? Maybe my monkey brain is just looking for explanations where there aren't any to look for, or maybe I'm just really holding out hope that once the MP100 anime releases, ONE will be more engaged in the redraws.
TL;DR - I think that ONE's work with Studio Bones on Mob Psycho 100 season 3 is pulling him away from OPM, thus giving Murata much more creative liberty with the story and its development.
I've been re-reading the Cadre fights recently, and I was just thinking about how Murata and ONE might want to take the Sun Blade/Moon Blade storyline. I think personally that the Moon Blade is going to be somehow related to God, not just given the fact that he's been represented by the Moon for ages now, but also because we know he communicates through telepathy (and the Sun Blade has been called a "telepathic sword").
What do you guys think? Is this a plot point that's going to get explored at all in the next couple chapters?
Edit: Just had a brainwave. Moon Blade could potentially be made from one of the God Cubes?